The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Enemy Discussion Thread - Spoilers Allowed  (Read 31980 times)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
Enemy Discussion Thread - Spoilers Allowed
« on: April 01, 2014, 03:18:45 AM »
Hello DCF members.

This thread is being set up to give you a place to discuss Enemy.  Please note that spoilers are welcome to be discussed here, so if you have not seen the movie, and don't want anything spoiled, don't read any further.

If you want to 'hide' your spoiler (which isn't necessary- the thread description says 'spoilers allowed') there are two codes to use.

Type your spoiler, highlight the text, and change the text color by selecting any color from the drop-down menu.   This code will appear around your text:  [color=green ][/color]

If your post will appear on a white field, change the color by typing in white.  [color=white ][/color].  
If your post will appear on a light blue field, change the color by typing in light cyan.  [color=lightcyan ][/color]

To see the example below, hold the left button on the mouse, and drag:

Spoiler alert

This is how to hide the spoiler

« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 03:34:00 AM by CellarDweller115 »

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
Re: Enemy Discussion Thread - Spoilers Allowed
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 03:31:39 AM »
To see the example below, hold the left button on the mouse, and drag:

Spoiler alert

This is how to hide the spoiler

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 11:01:23 AM »
Regarding the opening post: it's "Enemy;)  ;)  ;)  ;D

Haven't seen it yet, but I'll read everything!
Chaos is order yet undeciphered.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 12:34:07 PM »
Regarding the opening post: it's "Enemy;)  ;)  ;)  ;D

Ooops!  :D :D

Given the early hour, I hope I'm excused!

Feel free to post any information about Enemy here, Sonja.

Offline Uli

• The Daylight Hallucination
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 02:29:55 PM »
So, I managed to see Enemy as part of the Fantasy Film Festival here in Germany the weekend before last.

I have to admit, err..., hm..., uh..., huh? I think I understood this movie even less than Donnie Darko... :"> :D

Sonja, I know you have read the book... Did you understand that one? I can't wait for when you will be able to see Enemy and tell us about how the film works when you know the book.
I mean I was kind of okay until that very final scene... :D :D

Hiding the next with white color to be safe:
Okay, despite Jake's two characters apparently really being alike I thought for most of the time that they were two separate persons. But maybe they really were one and the same person with different personalities? Then at one moment I would have thought the shy professor kind of "won", but in the end I wasn't so sure anymore... And completely at the end I was just like "Huh??" :D

But even though I really didn't get the movie and not that much happening in it the time passed really quick, and I guess if I get the chance to see it again at the cinema - preferably in English - I will go to see it once more (before the DVD comes out... ;) )

Jake's acting really was amazing. The way he showed the differences between the two characters was so subtle but effective! I also liked the mood of the movie

As you see i am really crap at deep analysis of this movie (well, actually any movie :D) - so some shallow thoughts...

The first scene Jake appears as the actor character is probably the darkest I have ever seen Jake... Amazing and sexy - would definitely love to see more of that kind of Jake!

In Enemy he again does this breathing thing he does so great... :D I think Jake's the best breather in the world! Just think of the sexy breathing he does in Proof and the distressed breathing he does in Rendition... Well, here is more of that!  ;D

And - important for the treasure trail lovers... Well, I am afraid it is now more a treasure highway than a trail... Damn, that guy got hairy!! And I was wondering if they dyed his chesthair black for this movie...  :-\ :D

Unfortunately the sex scenes were rather disappointing I thought... :D (most of the time also for the professor character I think, LOL)

What was nice, since this was a festival, the movie was introduced to the audience and I had the feeling the presenter was a Jake fan... She mentioned Jake twice in her little speech "the great Jake Gyllenhaal", "the beautiful Jake Gyllenhaal"... Well, who could blame her?

When I feel the warmth of your very soul
I forget I'm cold and crying
When your lips touch mine and I lose control
I forget I'm old and dying

Martin L. Gore - Damaged People

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 02:36:55 PM »
Unfortunately the sex scenes were rather disappointing I thought... :D 

:D  :D  :D  :D

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 02:42:01 PM »
Uli, your comments are so much fun!  :)

I'll try to post some of my thoughts on the book tomorrow. Like the movie, it was... weird. Really weird  ::)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 05:21:46 PM »
Glad  you got the chance to see it, Uli!  ;D   Just as 'mysterious' as Donnie Darko, huh? 

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 07:33:12 AM »

Sonja, I know you have read the book... Did you understand that one?

Ehm... not quite!  :D

It's a difficult book to read as Saramago uses sentences that go on and on for about half a page or more, and uses sentences within a sentence as well (  ;D ), so you have to concentrate to keep track of what's happening in the story. But I read the book with the thought of Jake in my head, which made it easier.

I understand the ending of the movie is pretty terrifying? It wasn't terrifying in the book. It was just left ambigious - I felt like you could start a whole new story with the last sentence... Or, maybe not start it - you could repeat  the story. Isn't that what Jake Adam says in one of the trailers?  "This is a pattern... that repeats itself"  ;D 

And the story was funny as well sometimes. Are there funny moments in the film?

As far as Jake's breathing was concerned  ;)... you mean this scene?

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/enemy_2013/trailers/11198760/

As you may or may not know, I've had a lot of catching up to do regarding Jake's films in the last two years. There hasn't been a film of his that I've been looking forward to as much as 'Enemy'. Well, except 'Prisoners' maybe  :D

I just hope I won't be disappointed. Hope I'm not expecting too much. Like...

Why are the sex scenes disappointing? Yeah well, sorry, but I just have to ask, since you brought it up  ;)  ;D

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 07:50:11 AM »
The wonderful GyllenBabble blog posted a video a couple of days ago which discusses 'Enemy'... but it also contents major spoilers apparently.

I haven't watched it yet (it might give things away a bit too much), but I must say it's hard to resist!

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 08:12:01 AM »
But even though I really didn't get the movie and not that much happening in it the time passed really quick, and I guess if I get the chance to see it again at the cinema - preferably in English - I will go to see it once more (before the DVD comes out... ;)

From IHJ / Facebook:

Academy AwardŽ nominee Jake Gyllenhaal (Best Supporting Actor, Brokeback Mountain, 2005) reteams with his Prisoners director, Denis Villeneuve, in Enemy, a sexy and mind-bending thriller that breathes new life into the doppelganger tradition arriving on DVD (plus Digital UltraViolet) June 24 from Lionsgate Home Entertainment.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/330827-lionsgate-press-release-enemy/

On DVD June 24 in the US.

In most European countries, it'll be playing in cinemas in May and June - I guess we'll just have to wait a bit longer!  :)

Offline Sienna

• Obsessed
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 08:41:21 PM »
I haven't read any of the previous posts because i'm currently watching Enemy. I missed it at the theater but figured out that I could watch it through my direct tv account, so i'm doing that so far. i'm about 20 min in so far, and i'm definitely enjoying it. based on my feelings so far, i'm kinda surprised that it was so shortlived at the one theater it showed at in town.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 03:12:40 AM »
Cool!  Looking forward to your review!

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 07:51:28 AM »
From Facebook - a German Enemy trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFg2xhAJkck&feature=youtu.be&a

Must say I hate the dubbing.

Offline Sienna

• Obsessed
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 06:16:38 AM »
i ended up renting Enemy on DirectTV - i watched it Sunday night and then again last night. I think it's probably my second fave jbg movie after bbm