The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Enemy Discussion Thread - Spoilers Allowed  (Read 31979 times)

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
Re: Enemy Discussion Thread - Spoilers Allowed
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 08:56:24 AM »
My second fave is currently 'Prisoners'. Third is (still) 'Brothers'.

I think with 'Enemy' it's like... you either love it or you hate it. Reviews are very mixed. Not so much as far as Jake's performance is concerned, but the movie itself.
Chaos is order yet undeciphered.

Offline Sienna

• Obsessed
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 02:56:20 PM »
i really liked Prisoners a lot, but it's not one i want to rewatch anytime soon.

i loved Source Code but have yet to rewatch it.

i didn't love LAOD but i rewatched it recently just to see JBG naked (yes, i'm that shallow) and also to hear his voice, and i actually like it better the second time around. i still felt like the movie itself was only mediocre, but i enjoyed him in it much more on take two.

i didn't care for POP at all, story-line wise, and i felt his character was very unrealistic emotionally. i didn't fault him for it because that was just the way the story was written and i'm not sure how much he could alter his character's personality. i am considering watching it again tho because, hello!!! pretty!!!

i didn't see Rendition because of the torture aspect and it was during the Reese-phase of his life which turned me off x a kabillion. however, i love how he looks in that movie.

of his older films, i think The Good Girl and Proof are my faves. i enjoyed DD and Lovely and Amazing. I didn't care for Moonlight Mile. I didn't love his character in that one.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 04:43:50 PM »
Glad you liked it so much, Sienna.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 07:06:26 AM »
i didn't love LAOD but i rewatched it recently just to see JBG naked (yes, i'm that shallow)

:D  :D

Well, if that makes you 'shallow', then I'm shallow too!  ;D

What exactly did you like about 'Enemy', Sienna?

It will play at a film festival in Amsterdam this weekend, but unfortunately I'm not able to go. Never mind, in about six weeks I'll be able to see it in the same theatre where I saw 'Prisoners' (I hope), so I don't have to wait too long anymore  :)

Offline Sienna

• Obsessed
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 06:15:34 PM »
i have started writing up my thoughts and impressions about Enemy and i plan to post them here. it's not a movie i can just talk about without some thought and planning, so i won't say much now. however, there were several things that i liked about it and i'll mention them briefly.

1. i liked that there was so much jake in it. if you are a jake fan, that's definitely a good thing.

2. i liked/was sympathetic with both of jake's characters.

3. i have a ton of questions about the movie. it made me think and i like that.

4. the movie was very basic. it wasn't busy or flashy or difficult. it was complex but it didn't wear me out with lots of places or images or noise. it was easy to watch. not easy to understand, but easy to watch.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2014, 08:27:11 AM »
'Enemy' will be available on April 22 on Amazon Instant Video (US only, I guess). It's not even in cinemas in Europe yet...  :(

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J3DU0W8/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00J3DU0W8&linkCode=as2&tag=a24fil-20

Offline AshesOnBrokeback

• Redlined all the way, couldn't get here fast enough..
  • Obsessed
  • Chris Twist
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014, 01:23:41 PM »
I am delighted to be able to catch Enemy this week, I do wish theatrical releases were a lot closer together world round Sonja!
It's Nobody's Business But Ours,,

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2014, 06:54:44 PM »
Very cool Chris!   Looking forward to your review!

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2014, 02:13:16 PM »
Okay. Now that 'Enemy' is available on iTunes, according to Facebook, I'm happy to say I saw it yesterday!

As a download... sorry guys  ;D  I was discussing the film with my cousin earlier this week and since I'm crap with technology, he offered to download it for me - and so he did. I'll just have to go and see it in the cinema as well, since the cinematography is so beautiful - it's hard to capture that on a computer screen.

First things first, Uli  ;D

Unfortunately the sex scenes were rather disappointing I thought... :D 

Er... now I know what you mean  :)  I agree. Adam is a reserved man, isn't he?  :D

The first ten minutes or so were hard... I had trouble getting "into" the movie and was afraid I'd be disappoined. After all, the movie had this huge build-up online and I had seen so many trailers, featurettes and previews. Were my expectations too high?

No, they weren't. Jake was fabulous in the role(s). Sarah Gadon was terrific too! Her scenes with Jake (Adam) towards the end of the movie are so delicate - I actually felt their confusion.

Loved it. This could be Jake's new 'Donnie Darko'... I hope. Just as confusing, weird and tense.

If there's anyone on this thread who'd like to discuss the movie in detail - I'm here.

I felt sorry for Adam the whole time. He seemed to be overpowered by Anthony. Who are they? The same person? Two people?

What about the mother? Was she Adam's mom or Anthony's?

What about Anthony's wedding ring?

And of course: that ending...

:)

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2014, 05:07:33 PM »

I saw Enemy a while back and I was rivetted from beginning to end.  It features what is argualbly Jake's best work.  Although I do like Jake, the main reason for me wanting to see the film was the director, Denis Villeneuve. I love his work and he's an all around wonderful person and artist.  Plus he's from Montreal where I live and the film is set in Toronto where I used to live.  Enemy is an arty film so it's not for everyone.  There is some (welcomed) humour in it, I loved when Adam's mother told him to stop meeting strange men in hotel rooms. I also thought Sarah Gadon was a revelation, her performance was mezmerizing.  Ooh and I absolutely loved the score, it really added to the discomfort, lol!  It's easily one of my favourite Jake Gyllenhaal films.

Here's an exerpt from a cool review I found:

Thick with weighty themes, disquieting portent and anxious tension, Villeneuve—the Foreign Language Academy-Award nominated director of “Incendies”—crafts a gripping slow burn portrait of the male id/ego, our self-destructive tendencies and how they control us. Deeply in sync with his director’s tenebrous dream, Gyllenhaal obviously carries the entire film on his shoulders, and he delivers with a smoldering internalized performance of torment that is easily his finest work. The conflicted men are distinct, but it’s the nuanced, strange similarities between them and their own personal agonies that make for a remarkably committed turn by the young actor.

Full review:
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/review-denis-villeneuves-terrifically-haunting-enemy-starring-jake-gyllenhaal-20140313
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 05:42:16 PM by oilgun »
"This is an island. Surrounded by water. Big water. Ocean water." - Trump

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2014, 12:17:42 AM »
It's easily one of my favourite Jake Gyllenhaal films.

Mine too.

Thanks for your post, oilgun.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2014, 10:08:15 AM »
Jake wasn't first choice for Enemy 's production team, as Denis tells us:

"I was supposed to cast an actor that was coming out of Europe – out of Europe, because it was a co-production with Europe - a Canadian, Spanish and English co-production.

And I convinced the producer to go toward an American actor, toward Jake – to try with Jake, because I just felt that he was an actor with intuition, but I just knew that Jake was comfortable with more, can I say phantasmagorical material, like Donnie Darko ? But at the same time that kind of profoundness and creativity, and I really always loved Jake, like in Brokeback Mountain and Jarhead – I think he’s a very strong actor."

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/03/interview-director-denis-villeneuve-keeps-his-enemy-close/

And here:

"I was looking for somebody profound, somebody that would have the strength, the ability, the creativity [to take on the role]. And I had seen him in Donnie Darko. I knew that he was playful, willing to do strange things. I knew that he was a strong actor because of Brokeback Mountain. He blew me away how strong he was, I think that is one of the most beautiful performances of the decade, what he did in that film. So difficult and so precise. I love Jake in Jarhead… every time I had seen him on the screen, I was fascinated."

http://www.hollywood.com/news/movies/56822415/director-denis-villeneuve-says-it-s-normal-to-be-confused-by-enemy

I love how Denis mentions the same films over and over again  :)  And as I keep telling you all: whenever Brokeback gets a mention, in any interview with Jake, or when someone's talking about Jake - I'm happy.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2014, 10:28:55 AM »
Uli, I don't know if you're still reading here? I forgot to answer this question:

Sonja, I know you have read the book... Did you understand that one? I can't wait for when you will be able to see Enemy and tell us about how the film works when you know the book. 

I think I 'got' the film better, because I had read the book - except for the first 5 minutes or so... I don't recall the sex club scene being mentioned in the book, but I could be wrong.

The rest of it made sense to me, cos it followed the book - including the mother, Adam's girlfriend and Anthony's wife  ;)

Just that ending... I haven't got a clue! Here's what Denis has to say:

Q: And one thing that’s not in the book but is so important to the film is all of the spider imagery.

"It’s not in the book, but at one point I realized that as we were making the translation to the screen, there was something missing that was super important in the book ... and I said, “No, we need to find something that the audience will feel this kind of pressure and fear that is in the book, but not in an intellectual way, in a physical way.” I tried to find an image that was the perfect incarnation, representation of something that was in the book, very subtle in the book. It’s my own interpretation, but the spider image in the movie is very important. But I won’t explain it."

http://www.hollywood.com/news/movies/56822415/director-denis-villeneuve-says-it-s-normal-to-be-confused-by-enemy

Offline AshesOnBrokeback

• Redlined all the way, couldn't get here fast enough..
  • Obsessed
  • Chris Twist
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2014, 10:32:45 AM »
Jake wasn't first choice for Enemy 's production team, as Denis tells us:

"I was supposed to cast an actor that was coming out of Europe – out of Europe, because it was a co-production with Europe - a Canadian, Spanish and English co-production.

And I convinced the producer to go toward an American actor, toward Jake – to try with Jake, because I just felt that he was an actor with intuition, but I just knew that Jake was comfortable with more, can I say phantasmagorical material, like Donnie Darko ? But at the same time that kind of profoundness and creativity, and I really always loved Jake, like in Brokeback Mountain and Jarhead – I think he’s a very strong actor."

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/03/interview-director-denis-villeneuve-keeps-his-enemy-close/

And here:

"I was looking for somebody profound, somebody that would have the strength, the ability, the creativity [to take on the role]. And I had seen him in Donnie Darko. I knew that he was playful, willing to do strange things. I knew that he was a strong actor because of Brokeback Mountain. He blew me away how strong he was, I think that is one of the most beautiful performances of the decade, what he did in that film. So difficult and so precise. I love Jake in Jarhead… every time I had seen him on the screen, I was fascinated."

I love how Denis mentions the same films over and over again  :)  And as I keep telling you all: whenever Brokeback gets a mention, in any interview with Jake, or when someone's talking about Jake - I'm happy.

We wholeheartedly share Denis' sentiments here on DCF!

I have Enemy downloaded but have yet to view it because of how busy my week has been, hoping to take the time this weekend...I have had to avoid reading too deeply on this thread...:D
It's Nobody's Business But Ours,,

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2014, 11:18:14 AM »
... hoping to take the time this weekend...

It's only 90 minutes, so it won't take you too long to watch it, Chris!  :D 

Hope you'll like it.