The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Enemy Discussion Thread - Spoilers Allowed  (Read 32702 times)

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
Re: Enemy Discussion Thread - Spoilers Allowed
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2014, 06:41:46 AM »
Jake wholly made Enemy work for me, I feel like it's an independent film that was just meant for him. Not his crowning achievement or the first film I would direct someone to who had no previous onscreen Jake experience, but if anything it's primarily a film for already established Jake Gyllenhaal fans...with a chance that some outside of that group will enjoy it as well.

Just for him?  ;D  They did   consider other (European) actors. From IMDb: "According to the director, Denis Villeneuve, Javier Bardem was offered the lead role but the actor felt he didn't suit the character. Christian Bale was also offered the role and he wanted to do it but couldn't due to scheduling conflicts with other projects.
Denis then insisted on Jake.

I hope 'Enemy' will introduce 'new' people to Jake - people who have seen him as a "pretty boy" so far - or people who still think he's just an OK actor.

The movie premieres today here in The Netherlands. And, although I've seen it as a download already, I bought tickets for this Sunday to go see it at the cinema, as it plays at a cinema nearby - just a 15 minute drive from where I live! Which means I won't have to drive as far as I did when I went to see 'Prisoners' - so that's a huge surprise!  :)
Chaos is order yet undeciphered.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2014, 07:15:05 AM »
Dutch critics' reviews for 'Enemy' coming in...

"De grootste troef van Enemy schuilt in de altijd dromerige en melancholieke Jake Gyllenhaal..."

"Enemy's biggest asset is the always dreamy and melancholic Jake Gyllenhaal..." - guess they haven't seen him in PoP and 'Love and other Drugs'   :D

Offline AshesOnBrokeback

• Redlined all the way, couldn't get here fast enough..
  • Obsessed
  • Chris Twist
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2014, 11:15:43 AM »
Just for him?  ;D  They did   consider other (European) actors. From IMDb: "According to the director, Denis Villeneuve, Javier Bardem was offered the lead role but the actor felt he didn't suit the character. Christian Bale was also offered the role and he wanted to do it but couldn't due to scheduling conflicts with other projects.
Denis then insisted on Jake.

I hope 'Enemy' will introduce 'new' people to Jake - people who have seen him as a "pretty boy" so far - or people who still think he's just an OK actor.

The movie premieres today here in The Netherlands. And, although I've seen it as a download already, I bought tickets for this Sunday to go see it at the cinema, as it plays at a cinema nearby - just a 15 minute drive from where I live! Which means I won't have to drive as far as I did when I went to see 'Prisoners' - so that's a huge surprise!  :)
I try to keep any underlying phobias I may have at bay, with that said, I don't think I would want to see the last frame of Enemy on the big screen...:D
It's Nobody's Business But Ours,,

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2014, 02:02:36 AM »
I can honestly say I haven't read as many negative comments on any of Jake's films - and the hate for 'Enemy' seems to get worse as more people get to see it. On Amazon, it has more 1-star-reviews than 5-star-reviews, and I haven't seen that for many movies.

Right now, on Amazon:

16  5-star-reviews (17%)
48  1-star-reviews (52%)

Ouch!  ;D

I try to keep any underlying phobias I may have at bay, with that said, I don't think I would want to see the last frame of Enemy on the big screen...:D

I have similar phobias as well, Chris. Including spiders. I'll let you know what it was like  ;)

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2014, 09:04:31 AM »
Well, I finally saw ‘Enemy’ at the cinema this Sunday (matinée). I had planned to go with a friend of mine, but he cancelled, so I decided to go alone. Which is fine – until I found out I was actually the only person in the screening room…  Which is also fine, but I had wanted to see / hear other people’s reactions to the movie, especially because of all the mixed comments I’ve read all over the internet.

About one minute before the film started, a man came in, so there were two of us at the screening. Yay! How would he feel about it? About Jake’s performance? 

I’ll never know… the guy fell asleep halfway through the movie – or so it seemed  ;)  The violent car crash at the end woke him up, I think.

For me, it was a joy to watch ‘Enemy’ on the big screen. The cinematography is beautiful, no doubt about that. The sound was excellent – much, much better than the sound of the download I had seen before. Jake, Adam and Anthony were epic. Sarah / Helen was too. Love their scenes together. Overall, I  noticed a lot of details in the film I hadn’t noticed before.

And yet I think I understand why a lot of people dislike ‘Enemy’ so much. Its slow pacing.  Many people will probably say that ‘nothing happened’, cos they can’t be bothered to pay attention to the subtleties in Jake’s acting and / or the weirdness of the story. Too many layers.

I didn’t quite feel that way when I watched the movie earlier, but somehow I felt it at the cinema – must’ve been that guy falling asleep! Even the spider didn’t freak me out as much as I had expected – and it was huge  on the movie screen. I think I felt like Adam: a certain rezignation, if that’s the right word.

Still love ‘Enemy’, though. I’ll probably never fully understand it, but that’s okay. I might as well turn to one of the many ‘explanations’ on the internet to try to figure it out for myself.

All I can say is that, after 'Prisoners' and this - if ever Denis and Jake decide to work together again... it'll be hard for them to make another movie that has the same back-to-back impact as these two films. 'Prisoners' being as big as it was and 'Enemy' being as "artsy" as it is. Whether people like it or not.

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2014, 01:17:40 AM »
Check out this video review of Enemy.  It's quite good and very extensive at almost 25 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9AWkqRwd1I

Apologies if this has already been posted.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 04:37:00 PM by oilgun »
"This is an island. Surrounded by water. Big water. Ocean water." - Trump

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2014, 01:29:53 PM »
Yes, I think that one is, by far, the most consulted explanation on YouTube at nearly 94,000 views. It was one of the first I saw.

Once more back to all the negative customer reviews for 'Enemy' on Amazon - it'll be the last time I bring it up, I promise  ;D

At 70  1-star-reviews at this moment (54%), we can easily say the film continues to cause controversy. Luckily, I'm not the only one who disagrees with all the hate. Someone who gave the film 5 stars says:

"I'll be honest, part of the reason I wanted to see this film was because of the avalanche of 1-star reviews, many of which admit to having watched only 20-30 minutes before stopping it altogether. One thing that has become painfully obvious to me is the de-evolution of the human attention span to that of the average fruit fly. Actually, a fruit fly seems pretty capable of focusing on something for more than 20 seconds, people, not so much."

;D

And:

"I was intrigued to see a film where Gyllenhaal got to inhabit two distinctly different characters. I usually find that a pretty cheesy concept and execution but what makes the performances in this film so mesmerizing to me is the way he creates such distinct, separate beings without really changing their physical appearance much at all. It's purely about the energy, intention, the posture, the way one walks versus the other, vocal authority and even breathing are distinguished from one another subtly but enough so that you know which character you're dealing with, instantly. That's extraordinary work, and I credit Gyllenhaal and Villeneuve with creating those differences together in a way that doesn't dumb anything down for the audience. I also found Sarah Gadon to be an absolute wonder; the scene on the benches with Gyllenhaal had me dumbfounded by the complex array of emotions she was able to project with absolute clarity and stunning realism. She is the heart of the film, in my opinion."

Amen. Thank you, dear Amazon customer. I love you  :-*

'Enemy' continues to intrigue me, folks. Don't know why, but I can't get it out of my head. I'll see it at the cinema for the second time in a couple of days, as I think it won't play here for much longer and I just have  to see it on the big screen once more.

Such a unique confusing little movie! Thank you Jake, for having the guts to do it.

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
  • love is a force of nature
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2014, 03:31:07 PM »
With a twisty plot and tricky premise, Enemy sets itself up to fail -- but thanks to a strong performance from Jake Gyllenhaal and smart direction from Denis Villeneuve, it hits the mark as a tense, uncommonly adventurous thriller.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/enemy_2013/

75% at Rotten Tomatoes, I would definitely check it out.   I would see it to see Jake in it, but if I didn't like it I would admit it.  So far I have liked all his movies, that I have seen.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/prisoners_2013/

Prisoners looks like it faired slightly better at Rotten Tomatoes with 83%, I am just not sure about the subject matter with that one.

That one I may have to skip...  but am looking forward to seeing Enemy and joining in the discussion!
There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2014, 07:46:56 AM »
It's a shame much of Enemy's promotion focused on Jake, though that's understandable  ;)

As I said before, Sarah Gadon (Helen) is outstanding in 'Enemy'. I wasn't able to find a lot of interviews, but I did find this one. Here she talks about why she wanted the role:

" 'He [Denis Villeneuve] is making his first film in English, I have to be in this film,' " Gadon says of her thought process. "So I tracked the project, and this was before even Jake was attached and they were looking at potential leads. … Once they had settled on Jake, I basically badgered them (laughs)  to audition me, and I auditioned with Jake and I got the role, thankfully."

"For the interior scenes between Jake and I, [Villeneuve] would write the scenes, and we could move anywhere we wanted to in the scene," she explains. "We could improv. We could, you know, do what we wanted to. And, I mean, of course he created boundaries and there was a structure and we talked extensively about scenes, but it was very open. … Working with Jake was amazing, too. He just keeps you on your toes and keeps teasing out a scene, and he's just fearless about where he will take it."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/enemy-final-scene-jake-gyllenhaal-690139

Oh, and there's this... on starring with Jake:

“I have these surreal moments where I’m like, ‘I’m pregnant with Jake Gyllenhaal’s baby’ "   ;D  :D

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2014, 06:49:47 AM »
Praise for Jake, Mélanie and Sarah in this fairly recent review for 'Enemy' (June 8th), which is good to read, since Mélanie in particular didn't get a lot of 'buzz' for her role.

"I am running out of superlatives for Jake Gyllenhaal, his performances since Fincher’s Zodiac  have been towering, embodying each picture with a new found confidence and making that film his own, his brooding intensity commands the screen like a young Pacino and with Enemy  Gyllenhaal delivers not only one knockout performance but two, his mannerisms, emotions and slight changes to his appearance are great and utterly fascinating to watch - he is also supported on screen by the lovely French actress Mélanie Laurent (remember her in Inglorious Basterds)  and the fabulous Sarah Gadon (A Dangerous Method)  who are both well cast and give top performances to the parts respectively."

http://absolutebadasses.com/2014/06/08/enemy-2014-movie-review/

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2014, 07:13:12 AM »
Not sure if I ever posted this before, but since I'm talking about the women - this featurette also has Isabella Rossellini. Funny how she says she felt "a little bit intimidated"  by working with Jake, because "he's a big star"...  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ3hm2XNDm8

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2014, 07:34:17 AM »
Am I the only one here?  :D

I took part in a competition on the Dutch 'Enemy' Facebook page last week, and guess what? I won!  ;D

A Dutch copy of the book by José Saramago, with a sticker on the cover that says: "Movie edition of An Enemy, starring Jake Gyllenhaal & Isabella Rossellini". 

Well, first of all, "An" Enemy  is wrong, and Isabella Rossellini's only in the movie for about two minutes...  :D  Never mind. At least they spelled "Gyllenhaal" correctly  ::)  ;)
The book also has a small picture of Jake & Jake (as Adam & Anthony) on the back cover, which is nice.

I also won three "mindfuck" movies on DVD, to fit in with the atmosphere of 'Enemy'. The movies are: Eyes Wide Shut, Mulholland Drive and Donnie Darko  ::)  ;D

Don't know who thought of Donnie Darko, but that's ingenious!  ;D

*happy*

Offline AshesOnBrokeback

• Redlined all the way, couldn't get here fast enough..
  • Obsessed
  • Chris Twist
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2014, 10:33:24 AM »
Am I the only one here?  :D

I took part in a competition on the Dutch 'Enemy' Facebook page last week, and guess what? I won!  ;D

A Dutch copy of the book by José Saramago, with a sticker on the cover that says: "Movie edition of An Enemy, starring Jake Gyllenhaal & Isabella Rossellini". 

Well, first of all, "An" Enemy  is wrong, and Isabella Rossellini's only in the movie for about two minutes...  :D  Never mind. At least they spelled "Gyllenhaal" correctly  ::)  ;)
The book also has a small picture of Jake & Jake (as Adam & Anthony) on the back cover, which is nice.

I also won three "mindfuck" movies on DVD, to fit in with the atmosphere of 'Enemy'. The movies are: Eyes Wide Shut, Mulholland Drive and Donnie Darko  ::)  ;D

Don't know who thought of Donnie Darko, but that's ingenious!  ;D

*happy*
Congrats Sonja!, I love how you make ongoing events out of the latest Jake movie release! ;D

I still have some wardrobe items from Prisoners just sitting in a clear movie props bag in the corner of my guest room...I look at that bag sometimes and am reminded of how much random shit I buy...:D
It's Nobody's Business But Ours,,

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2014, 01:26:34 AM »
I still have some wardrobe items from Prisoners just sitting in a clear movie props bag in the corner of my guest room...I look at that bag sometimes and am reminded of how much random shit I buy...:D

:D  :D

"Random shit"? Nooooooooo! Jake wore it! He wore  it!!! It's from 'Prisoners'! That's no shit! Treasure it!  ;D

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2014, 12:58:45 PM »
Well, I'm glad I got to see 'Enemy' for the second time last week, as it's no longer playing at "my" cinema - today it had its final screening.
Waiting for the DVD / Blu-ray now...  ::)  ;D

US DVD / Blu-ray release in just two days! You lucky people!

http://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/movies/6859/enemy