The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Enemy Discussion Thread - Spoilers Allowed  (Read 31981 times)

Offline AshesOnBrokeback

• Redlined all the way, couldn't get here fast enough..
  • Obsessed
  • Chris Twist
Re: Enemy Discussion Thread - Spoilers Allowed
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2014, 01:15:55 PM »
Well, I'm glad I got to see 'Enemy' for the second time last week, as it's no longer playing at "my" cinema - today it had its final screening.
Waiting for the DVD / Blu-ray now...  ::)  ;D

US DVD / Blu-ray release in just two days! You lucky people!

http://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/movies/6859/enemy
I'm so digital these days that I seldom if ever by DVDs or CDs anymore, unless it's for memorabilia purposes, or to have it to be signed.
It's Nobody's Business But Ours,,

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2014, 11:21:34 AM »
Digital? Nope. Not me. I'm old school  ;D

Plus I'm greedy  >:D  I want all  of the available bonus material: deleted scenes, featurettes, behind-the-scenes interviews, commentary... the works!  :)

Not sure whether 'Enemy' will have all of that - but hopefully it will have some ...
Chaos is order yet undeciphered.

Offline AshesOnBrokeback

• Obsessed
  • Chris Twist
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2014, 01:00:30 PM »
Digital? Nope. Not me. I'm old school  ;D

Plus I'm greedy  >:D  I want all  of the available bonus material: deleted scenes, featurettes, behind-the-scenes interviews, commentary... the works!  :)

Not sure whether 'Enemy' will have all of that - but hopefully it will have some ...

I'm old school too, in the sense that I have a lot of original releases of albums and posters signed by the artist, a bunch in fact, to point where my room looks like the room of a teenager with memorabilia everywhere, but if it's not singed it takes up too much space in my mind...It's really about space conservation, I have more space with my DVD and CD player in the closet...and as for the bonuses, you can in most cases find those online...I'm old school when it's memorabilia, I'm also digital to save space.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2014, 11:53:17 AM »
I see.

... my room looks like the room of a teenager...

Mine too!  :D  All my 'collections' are stored in boxes and / or little cases - except for all my DVDs: my regular film collection plus a lot of Special Editions of BBM and  all of Jake's movies  ;)

Special Editions (from various countries), Collector's Editions, steelbooks, Blu-rays... That's why I hope 'Enemy' (to get back on topic) will have some sort of special release as well. For instance, the German edition of 'Enemy' will also be available as a 3-disc box set, which will probably include   1. the DVD   2. the Blu-ray   3. a digital copy - or something. But there's more! There'll also be a German steelbook - and I'd love to have that! No doubt it'll be available on eBay as well.

http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/278-4479659-4505022?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=jake%20gyllenhaal%20enemy

Like I said... I'm greedy. You can never have too much of a good thing!  ;D 

Offline AshesOnBrokeback

• Obsessed
  • Chris Twist
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2014, 12:38:46 PM »
I see.

Mine too!  :D  All my 'collections' are stored in boxes and / or little cases - except for all my DVDs: my regular film collection plus a lot of Special Editions of BBM and  all of Jake's movies  ;)

Special Editions (from various countries), Collector's Editions, steelbooks, Blu-rays... That's why I hope 'Enemy' (to get back on topic) will have some sort of special release as well. For instance, the German edition of 'Enemy' will also be available as a 3-disc box set, which will probably include   1. the DVD   2. the Blu-ray   3. a digital copy - or something. But there's more! There'll also be a German steelbook - and I'd love to have that! No doubt it'll be available on eBay as well.

http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/278-4479659-4505022?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=jake%20gyllenhaal%20enemy

Like I said... I'm greedy. You can never have too much of a good thing!  ;D 
I will say the steelbook looks kind of sexy...:D

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2014, 07:32:11 AM »
I will say the steelbook looks kind of sexy...:D

:D

The US DVD is out today! Lots of buzz for it on the Enemy Facebook pages - and another behind-the-scenes clip which I hadn't seen before!

'Enemy' works some Jake Gyllenhaal movie magic

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2014/06/23/jake-gyllenhaal-enemy-movie-exclusive-clip/11282917/

As long as some critics call it "movie magic", I don't care for all the bad reviews anymore!  ;)

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2014, 07:45:38 AM »
And another 'new' behind-the-scenes, an exclusive clip from the Enemy Blu-ray!  :)

The clip features Director Denis Villeneuve, Producer Niv Fichman, and Actress Sarah Gadon all discussing how Enemy was adapted from José Saramago’s novel The Double. Villeneuve talks about what makes adaptations work, what makes them unique, and some of the challenges that arose in this particular adaption, all while we see some behind-the-scenes footage featuring star Jake Gyllenhaal. It’s a great little bonus feature that provides a glimpse into how the director works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtELRoqEoSY

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2014, 08:54:22 AM »
Regarding the bonus features on the Blu-ray (from someone who gave a 5-star-review on Amazon):

"The extras are short and simple, which I am fine with for a movie like this. There is simply a behind the scenes documentary.

This movie is very odd and probably not like anything you've seen before. again, it can be taken many ways. Some may not be able to get through half of it because it's just too weird, however I loved it an couldn't take my eyes off the screen. I feel this movie is geared more toward men, and I can relate to both Jake Gyllenhaal characters. Women, which have been with men who have been in these situation may also be able to relate. There are two strong female characters in this as well as a wonderful performance by Isabella Rossellini as the mother.

Rated R for nudity/sex and some language. The dislike for this film is by those who never took the time to understand it. I understood it and it touched me and I related to it. It's not all about spiders. Watch it and you will discover what the spider is to the character(s). Think about it before you hate it. Hating something usually means you don't understand it."

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2014, 09:43:58 AM »
OK - just to prevent myself from posting endless posts on 'Enemy'  :D

Lots more on the GyllenBabble blog!  ;)  gyllenbabble.blogspot.com

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2014, 04:59:35 AM »
I've been talking over and over about the "avalanche" of 1-star-reviews for 'Enemy' on Amazon, and I promise you - this is the last time I'll bring it up. I think I've said that before, but... honestly!

The hate for this film continues to intrigue me for some reason. This was posted yesterday by someone who obviously feels the same way I do. And who has been reading all reviews, just like I have  ;)  Here we go:

"I just finished reading all 17 pages of reviews currently available for this film here on Amazon, and it just further cements my opinion that this a fantastic movie. To see the vitriol spit in either direction from the 1-star review yokels to the 5-star review brainiacs just fills me with joy. And they all say the same thing! The one-star reviewers accuse the movie and anyone who enjoys it of being pretentious and just trying to sound smart, while the five-star reviewers accuse the one-star folks of being stupid and lowest common denominators. Both sides are probably right to a certain extent.

But just seeing how huge the gap is between those that love this film and those that hate it proves to me that this a quality piece of filmmaking. It is challenging stuff, no doubt, and not easy entertainment. But not all entertainment has to be spoon fed drivel with obvious plot points you've seen a million times before. A lot of people can find entertainment value in this kind of esoteric mind-puzzle for the exact reason that it engages your brain and makes you draw your own conclusions. I know I personally enjoy this type of film because it is so uncommon this day and age. You gotta seek it out, as no major studio is gonna release it in 4000 theaters. But boy oh boy is it worth it. Kept me thinking about it long after it was over, and i immediately bought the book to help decipher all the implications (doesn't help btw, they're their own beasts).

So yes, many people will continue to hate this movie. [...] BUT, if you have a modicum of intelligence, and can go in with an open mind knowing its got a bonkers ending that can be aggravating, you may find the brilliance just lingering beneath the surface."

Thank you, Amazon customer!

I really wonder how 'Enemy' will eventually be seen in a couple of years, what it will eventually do for Jake's career. Will it be considered an indie classic or a huge failure? I've read so many (professional critics) reviews I've lost track, but there are many who prefer Jake in a film like 'Enemy' rather than, let's say, PoP or LAOD.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2014, 06:05:30 AM »
I've read so many (professional critics) reviews I've lost track, but there are many who prefer Jake in a film like 'Enemy' rather than, let's say, PoP or LAOD.

Oh wait. I found it. Forget LAOD. Make that TDAT  ;D

"Remember when Jake Gyllenhaal became famous with Donnie Darko, and then he became replaced by a guy that looked like Jake Gyllenhaal, but did big studio bullhooey  like Prince of Persia and The Day After Tomorrow? Well, both Gyllenhaals are in Canadian psychological creepfest Enemy. Kinda.

[...]

Villeneuve has made a film whose experience is supposed to be be wholly and solely subjective. The audience is forced to view everything through the wholly unreliable eyes of Adam/Anthony [...] , the two iterations of Gyllenhaal. It's hard not to see the actor reflected in the characters: Adam, cerebral but unfulfilled, and Anthony, whose IMDB fame has brought him a small seat at the table. He  [Jake]  provides both with a certain sense of desperation, never falling back on anything so obvious as a "good clone/bad clone" dynamic. Instead, he navigates the same sense of despairing self-realization that frustrated some but fascinated others in spare parts tragedy Under The Skin. He is staring down the barrel of his own mortality, and it's his own eyes staring back through the sights."

http://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/screens/2014-06-28/dvdanger-enemy/

I guess that means they like it  :D

I won't be posting any more reviews like these. Now that 'Enemy' is out on DVD and Blu-ray, we can all make up our own mind. All I hope is that it will do well out there. The film certainly deserves a second chance.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 04:56:04 AM by BlueJeanDarlin' »

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2014, 01:25:27 PM »
Read this on YouTube just now - on 'Enemy'...

"Donnie is tripping again..."   :D  :D

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2014, 01:57:54 PM »
Are people still reading here?  ;)

I said I wouldn't post any more reviews - well, I'll make an exception. This reviewer speaks highly of Sarah Gadon as Helen, which is great cos I think she's very underrated in 'Enemy'. Her performance is extraordinary. Also, I was quite surprised at how recent this review is (June 26) and how positive. After the devastating comments on Amazon and, more or less, on the IMDb message boards, I didn't think many people would still be able to watch and review  'Enemy' with an open mind - without being influenced by all the online negativity, I mean.

"Helen [is] beautifully realised by Sarah Gadon. [...] The emergence of Adam pushes Helen into a state of melancholia and Gadon’s able to project so much about a purposefully under-written character. In the scene [where] Helen meets Adam for the first time in person, he doesn’t know her at this moment, the warmth in Adam and the devastation and yearning in Helen is Villeneuve and his players at their high point."

http://www.graffitiwithpunctuation.net/2014/06/26/review-enemy-denis-villeneuve-2013/

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2014, 02:08:37 PM »
I watched it this afternoon and have mixed feelings.  Basically thought the acting was very good all around, and get the “story”, which boils down to “who are you?”  That’s simplistic, of course, but with the atmospheric backgrounds, the music, lack of dialogue, and a guy finding that there is another guy out there identical in every way, even the scar...so, yeah.  But overall I see it as a bit of self-indulgence for the director, like he made the movie more for himself than for anyone else.

The acting was very good, especially by JG & Sarah Gadon as the wife (as opposed to the girlfriend, although she was good as well).

Jake makes extremely subtle differences in the two physical personalities, so they’re barely distinguishable, great interpretation of the characters, I thought...there was one scene when I couldn’t tell which it was.

Shot totally as film noir, the atmosphere is very disturbing, made more so by the sound track of synth, which includes long sections of one note (or it seemed long) ...exteriors and interiors all seem done in a sepia tone and washed with kind of a sickly yellow...even the art on the wall in the interiors is black and white...a colorless world, for sure.  Sometimes it seemed that the atmosphere was the biggest star, not the actors, which was as the director intended.

The campus where Adam teaches is ugly; shown from above, it looks like crumbling old buildings, more like a project than a university...at ground level, it’s hard, all cement, no color, as is the apartment building where Anthony lives.  Even overhead shots of Toronto are very bleak and forbidding (or maybe it is in real life), definitely not for a tourist commercial.  Where these guys work and live – how do they get through the day?

And again, the overall feeling I got was one of the director trying to accomplish something for himself.  Even before I saw the interviews at the end (did they have to keep that awful music going as background for Denis & Jake to talk?), I felt that; and when Jake said “Denis had to make this movie before he could go on and do his next one”, it seemed to make the point.  

And I really didn’t like the fact that he added the spider element, not because I hate spiders, but because it is not even in the book.  So in his opinion, what the author did needed embellishment, which he certainly has the right to do, after purchasing the rights to the book...it’s just a personal feeling to me that he added a huge element that the author never intended.  Did it add to the movie?  Was he able to integrate it with the base story and make it work?

It was still interesting and I think if I watched it again I would see a lot that I missed the first time.  But this is a once-only for me.  If I post this review on Amazon, I would give it ***.

"She couldn't write a sentence if you spotted her the noun and the verb"

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2014, 04:22:18 AM »
And again, the overall feeling I got was one of the director trying to accomplish something for himself.  Even before I saw the interviews at the end (did they have to keep that awful music going as background for Denis & Jake to talk?), I felt that; and when Jake said “Denis had to make this movie before he could go on and do his next one”, it seemed to make the point.  

I don't know what interview is at the end, as I haven't seen it on Amazon, but I guess it's one of those (many) featurettes. I'll wait for the DVD - out here (Europe) at around October-ish.

It was still interesting and I think if I watched it again I would see a lot that I missed the first time.  But this is a once-only for me.  If I post this review on Amazon, I would give it ***.

A very well thought out review, Nancy. I enjoyed reading it and I agree with you on a lot of things, including that Denis made this movie more for himself than for anyone else. Good observation! Denis has said that he would be forever glad he made this movie, even if, because of its weirdness, no-one ever got to see it.