The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Don't Ask, Don't Tell: Gays & the military--ARCHIVED  (Read 101889 times)

Offline csean97

• Feet Wet
Re: Don't Ask, Don't Tell: Gays, friends, and the military
« Reply #555 on: December 29, 2011, 02:50:59 PM »
SHIP'S COMPANY is a nearly forgotten book worth reading, especially "The Theban Warriors."  I read that story in some anthology (forget the name) and greatly enjoyed it.  HOLD TIGHT is not a book I'm familiar with.

I assume that Wingmen will be reprinted pretty much like the original, but I have suggested that maybe an essay or some such might be worth doing to put it into some historical / literary context.  Case is younger than we thought (as you can read on his website) ... which makes his book even more amazing.  IMO.  If you Google "Wingmen Ensan Case" and then start digging, it seems he is the real deal ... not a WW2 vet, but maybe Vietnam.  His knowledge of aircraft carriers, the rhythms of military life and aviation, all lead me to believe he really does have personal knowledge of those things.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see how much he is willing to reveal!

Incidentally, I have given him a link to this thread, so if he ever shows up here, be kind to him!   :)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #556 on: December 29, 2011, 04:41:29 PM »
His knowledge of aircraft carriers, the rhythms of military life and aviation, all lead me to believe he really does have personal knowledge of those things.

Yes, I had thought that, too, when reading the book.  Either that or he really did his
research.  I would never have guessed he wrote it at age 28!  Pretty impressive.
Which means he's only slightly, lol, older than I am!

Offline csean97

• Feet Wet
« Reply #557 on: December 29, 2011, 06:39:16 PM »
And I'm older than Case is!  LOL!  I can not imagine anyone being able to write something like Wingmen at the tender age of 28.  I've done some creative writing myself, but it's hard.  At least for me.  The "plot" development / the episodic way his story unfolds is something that's completely beyond me.  And keep in mind, Case was writing before the net was even thought of.  So the research one would have to do would have been that much tougher.  My $ is on him having first hand knowledge of most of what he wrote about.  I'm just hugely impressed.

Offline jim ...

• Global Moderator
  • Expert
« Reply #558 on: December 31, 2011, 04:55:48 AM »
Moderators--I was just thinking--the title of this thread is:
Don't Ask, Don't Tell: Gays, friends, and the military and I
was wondering if it might not be nice to change the thread
title, or start a new one, because DADT is finally history!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll bring this up to the powers that be!

Offline estefue

• Papi Chulo
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #559 on: January 03, 2012, 07:36:07 PM »
I don't see why not either other than to keep the historical context.

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
« Reply #560 on: January 06, 2012, 06:51:52 AM »
Just change it to "Do Ask, Do Tell" already..!

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #561 on: January 10, 2012, 11:03:56 AM »

Remember the Republican debate when a gay soldier was booed?
Matt Baume from AFER has interviewed him.  Here's a preview of the
interview which has not been published yet:

Remember the Republican debate, when a soldier named Stephen Hill asked Rick Santorum about Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell? Well, this week I spoke to Stephen Hill and his husband, Josh Snyder, about their experience coming out in front of the world, what they thought of Rick’s response, how their relationship’s been affected by Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, and we also got a little gun show. Here’s a few highlights from our conversation, stay tuned for the full interview, coming out later this week.

Stephen: “Immediately I thought, am I in trouble, did I do something wrong? ‘Cause I just got booed on national TV and I’m an active duty serviceman. I’m a soldier. So, that was the next thought. And then of course Rick Santorum’s answer was the next string of emotions. And then after all that was done, I thought oh my God, I just came out to six million people.”

Josh: “I can tell you after dealing with it for a year, and being an Army spouse, it’s not easy. We’ve been on Skype before and a mortar’s gone off, and he’s had to disconnect and, y’know, we lost contact for a few hours. And it’s really kind of weird to think — you’ve got your phone in one hand and I’ve got Skype sitting up on the computer. And I’m just hoping Skype rings first versus the phone. Because God only knows. I mean I’m the first to be contacted ’cause we arranged it from a standpoint of the documentation that you submit with the Army. But technically as a spouse I wouldn’t really be recognized. It was all set up by us.”

Stephen: “I’ve had to run through my house and hide pictures in my own house. Y’know, when soldiers and friends would come over. I’ve had to ask people to leave my house. Y’know, I’ve had to make my roommates lie, I’ve had to do a lot of stuff. And the resentment of that kind of stuff — and the resentment of knowing that for twenty years I’ve fought for my country, and I’ve fought for everybody’s rights except my own. I mean that’s basically what it is. And I have to lie to do that. Y’know, and it just isn’t right.”

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #562 on: January 10, 2012, 03:58:37 PM »
One of the state reps in Oklahoma (GOP, natch) wants a bill to exempt the OK National Guard from the repeal of DADT.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=336&articleid=20120110_16_A5_ULNSbc207963&r=9587

Hope it gets as far as a similar bill in Virginia, which died in committee.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #563 on: January 10, 2012, 04:00:01 PM »
Hm, I'd like to see Stephen Hill's gun show.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline jim ...

• Global Moderator
  • Expert
« Reply #564 on: January 11, 2012, 04:53:56 AM »
Since DADT has been repealed, we've started a new thread for continuing conversation, and locked this thread. We will keep it here for reading and history's sake.

http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=44583.msg2207115#msg2207115
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 08:26:53 PM by Dave Cullen »