The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Marriage Equality: Toward victory in U.S.--On to the rest of the world?  (Read 34531 times)

Offline One'senough

• Expert
  • Gyllenhaalic
Re: Marriage Equality: Toward victory in U.S.--On to the rest of the world?
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2014, 06:00:24 PM »
Straight girl here who is ecstatic that NC won marriage equality earlier this month!!!!!! For a long time we were a little more progressive than the rest of the South, though that may not be saying much. We're not exactly California here.  ::) However, in 2010, the wheels just fell off and this state went down the pipes after all the wrong people got elected. (Don't look at me, I voted for none of them.....)

In 2012 we voted on marriage equality as part of the NC state constitution and (of course) the majority favored SSM ban. Thank GOD the courts have seen differently, and I can proudly say I was on the right side of history. Two years later, wham! That piece of garbage is gone.

I can't wait when everyone in America will be able to marry whomever they love.

For all those who are fighting the fight now so that my children - should either be gay - will live in a kinder more tolerant world, I thank you.
Ennis put his arm around Jack, pulled him close....
"You know, it could be like this....just like this, always."

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2014, 04:47:14 AM »
well done, EG, i know what you mean.  i was stunned at the reversal of NC.  i guess it only took a little bit of inattention and some skullduggery to render progressive voters powerless.  elections have consequences, governors appoint secretaries of state, who then control election regulation.  bippity boppity boo.  there will still be a long row to hoe, thanks to the supreme court's gutting of the voting rights act.
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2014, 06:17:12 AM »
I heard on the radio today that in Malta, a strongly Catholic island, where divorce was only legalised in 2011, civil unions and same-sex partners adoption became legal this year - rapid progress for a small conservative country.
There were only the two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawk's back and the crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below, suspended above ordinary affairs....

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2014, 12:15:09 PM »
Apparently Missouri loves company:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/judge-rules-missouri-gay-marriage-ban-unconstitutional-n242411

How did Wis-con-sin boys?
She stole a New-brass-key.
Too bad Arkansaw boys
And so did Tennessee.
It made poor Flora-die, boys
It made poor Flora-die you see
She died in Missouree boys,
She died in Missouree

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2014, 12:16:05 PM »
I heard on the radio today that in Malta, a strongly Catholic island, where divorce was only legalised in 2011, civil unions and same-sex partners adoption became legal this year - rapid progress for a small conservative country.

Yay!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2014, 10:34:02 AM »
malta wants in the EU.  some version of equality is mandatory for admission...

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2014, 11:18:13 AM »
So, the Supreme Court may get involved in a marriage equality case after all.

One of the reasons the Supreme Court hinted at that they did not take up any of the
gay marriage cases this term was that in the Federal district courts, so far, there was no
"disagreement" among the rulings that have occurred about gay marriage. They all ruled
that gay people could not be barred from marriage. (Therefore there was no "question"
for the (Supreme) Court to make a ruling on so far. Well, a day or two ago, the Federal
Court, in a case out of Ohio, I believe, ruled that individual states had the right to apply
marriage as they see fit. So now there's 4 rulings in support of marriage equality and one
that says a state can, in effect, bar that if they want to.

If the lawyers can apply the Supreme Court's "timeline" for taking cases for this term,
which is sometime in December, this could get to the Supreme Court this term. If not,
it would have to wait another year for them to decide to take it or not.

The old "states rights" argument from this recent court ruling.

I haven't heard or read exactly why this particular court gave this ruling, but I bet
it's maddening to read their summaries.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2014, 11:52:59 AM »

I'm sure that's a part of it, but apparently attitudes really have changed greatly too.
There were only the two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawk's back and the crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below, suspended above ordinary affairs....

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2014, 12:23:47 PM »
So, the Supreme Court may get involved in a marriage equality case after all.
If the lawyers can apply the Supreme Court's "timeline" for taking cases for this term,
which is sometime in December, this could get to the Supreme Court this term. If not,
it would have to wait another year for them to decide to take it or not.

The old "states rights" argument from this recent court ruling.

I haven't heard or read exactly why this particular court gave this ruling, but I bet
it's maddening to read their summaries.

it was the 6th circuit court that came down with that ruling, affecting ohio and 3 other states, i forget which at the moment.  the most interesting thing about the ruling has been the withering criticism from within the judicial community.  not only did the dissenting judge rip it a new one, essentially calling the opinion hogwash and window dressing supporting the common prejudice, but another federal court justice in refusing to accept a plea for a delay, citing his circuit court binding ruling, took the time to amend his ruling with a section also calling BS on the 6th's ruling, which is pretty much unheard of.  there are wagers starting now as to how kennedy is going to react and what he will have to say when the case reaches his bench, which it surely will, given the expansive explanation of the harms inflicted by these bans and their inherent conflict with the constitution.  outside of the inconvenience to the plaintiffs and others, this ruling is a good thing, and should settle the case once and for all, for all 50 states and the territories.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2014, 12:38:03 PM »

Thanks for that info, Jack.

Offline Sason

• The Proverbial Swenglish Axegirl
  • Obsessed
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2014, 01:52:59 PM »

Unfortunately not for the Roma people. Otherwise Romania, among others, would never have been admitted.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2014, 07:58:54 PM »
romania never SHOULD have been admitted, and yes the romany do get short shrift wherever they go.  they do make it easy to dislike or distrust them, though.

Offline Sason

• The Proverbial Swenglish Axegirl
  • Obsessed
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2014, 01:50:05 PM »
romania never SHOULD have been admitted, and yes the romany do get short shrift wherever they go.  they do make it easy to dislike or distrust them, though.

That's a disgusting and appaling thing to say! Blaming the victim is never ok, and only yet another way to impose your prejudice on them.

Then you may as well say the same thing about other minorities that are discriminated: jews, gays, blacks, native americans and so on. All their own fault???

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2014, 02:39:34 AM »
well, you clearly have a different opinion of the travelers than i do.  and i have over 50 years of life experience to back me up.  the romany of world war 2 were far different than the romany of today.  even then treating outsiders as easy marks was common.  i was not blaming a victim, i was calling a spade a spade.  there is little to no ethnic component to my statement, and everything to do with antisocial practices, no matter how romantic the life they lead may appear.  my statement is not intended to be an indictment of all gypsies, but the practice of swindling gullible marks that is acceptable within the majority of the travelling groups.

beyond that, we can agree to disagree.