The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Marriage Equality: Toward victory in U.S.--On to the rest of the world?  (Read 116312 times)

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
Re: Marriage Equality: Toward victory in U.S.--On to the rest of the world?
« Reply #375 on: October 10, 2017, 04:55:17 PM »

I don't know if I already mentioned this, but here comes:

At the end of this year, Mr S's and my French marriage (dating from July 2014)

will be recognized and revalued by the German authorities

and an additional German marriage certificate will be issued for us.

This will take place during a short (but nonetheless quite nice and formal) ceremony on my birthday, on December 18th!

The day I'll turn 55 years old.

Meaning that we got married for the first time in Nice/Berlin on Mr S's 50th birthday and now, for the second time, on my 55th.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #376 on: October 10, 2017, 05:03:52 PM »
Geaux Ingli et S!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #377 on: October 10, 2017, 05:12:11 PM »

:) :) :);) ;) ;)
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #378 on: October 10, 2017, 07:27:11 PM »

This will take place during a short (but nonetheless quite nice and formal) ceremony on my birthday, on December 18th!

Meaning that we got married for the first time in Nice/Berlin on Mr S's 50th birthday and now, for the second time, on my 55th.

WONDERFUL WONDERFUL WONDERFUL NEWS!!! ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #379 on: October 11, 2017, 12:43:57 AM »

:-* :-* :-*

Thanks for sharing.
WISE UP

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #380 on: October 11, 2017, 01:51:47 AM »

What a lovely way to do this! :-*

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #381 on: October 11, 2017, 02:19:26 AM »

Yes!

As we say in German: Doppelt hält bester!   :)

(Dunno if there's an English equivalent.)
WISE UP

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #382 on: October 12, 2017, 10:14:06 AM »

Nice!

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #383 on: October 12, 2017, 04:14:40 PM »
Great news, Ingster!

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #384 on: October 12, 2017, 04:18:35 PM »

How wonderful! Ctongratulations to you both!

Offline Paul029

• Obsessed
« Reply #385 on: October 19, 2017, 01:33:07 AM »

Brexit, Scottish independence, same-sex marriage in Australia: What gets voters out of bed?

“Australians care more about same-sex marriage than Americans do about who leads their country, according to a comparison of turnout figures from recent polls,” say political reporters Jackson Gothe-Snape and Dan Conifer on ABC News two days ago.“But some recent votes around the world have drawn a response far greater than either.”

Their chart showing percentages of people who voted in recent elections and referenda in the US, Ireland, the UK and Scotland is here.

The same-sex marriage issue referred to was a national survey mailed last month to all enrolled voters in Australia.
It asked, simply, “Should the law be changed to allow same-sex couples to marry?”

The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) has released its latest estimate of the number of returned survey forms.#1.

10.8 million Australians—67.5 per cent of those eligible to vote—have already filled out and mailed back their forms. More than nine million were returned prior to the end of September, and approximately 800,000 forms have been returned each week this month.

For its proposal to succeed it must win the majority of votes both nationally and in each of Australia’s six states and two territories.

The survey is not a plebiscite—a compulsory vote by citizens on a matter of national significance, and whose outome is merely advisory and does not affect the Australian constitution—but a referendum, a voluntary vote concerning a change to the constitution, and whose outcome will be legally binding in federal law.#2.

It concerns a change to the Marriage Act 1961 and its subsequent amendments in the Sex Discrimination Amendment Act 1991, which, among other things, set the age of marriage at eighteen for both sexes by raising the age of consent for women two years, and in the Marriage Amendment Act 2004, which firstly defined marriage as “the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life;” and secondly stipulated that “a union solemnised in a foreign country between: (a) a man and another man; or (b) a woman and another woman, must not be recognised as a marriage in Australia.”

If the survey returns a majority “yes” verdict, the Government has announced it would facilitate a private member’s bill in the final sitting fortnight of the Parliamentary year which would legalise same-sex marriage.#3.

The Australian Marriage Law Postal Survey (to use its correct title) ends on 7 November, with the results published on 15 November at

#1. The response has now exceeded the turnout for the 2015 UK general election, and is closing on participation in the Brexit vote.

#2. The difference between a plebiscite and a referendum doesn’t appear to be quite clear to some members of Parliament, nor to some members of the press, but that’s another story.

#3. Among the most notable of Australia’s successful private member’s bills was the Commonwealth Electoral Bill 1924, which introduced compulsory voting for federal elections. Despite much public debate ever since on the issue of compulsory voting, the legislation has never been repealed.

Voting at federal, state and local council elections in Australia is now compulsory for all enrolled citizens aged 18 and over; Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples were granted full voting rights in state and federal elections in 1962, and made compulsory in 1984.

...there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain...

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #386 on: October 19, 2017, 03:42:32 AM »
I was wondering when the results would appear.

It's asking a lot for each state and territory to have a majority - fingers crossed.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #387 on: October 19, 2017, 03:53:39 PM »
It's asking a lot for each state and territory to have a majority - fingers crossed.

I agree!  Fingers crossed!

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #388 on: October 19, 2017, 06:49:36 PM »
Amen.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Paul029

• Obsessed
« Reply #389 on: October 23, 2017, 06:28:41 AM »
The following might clarify things, Sara. I recommend clicking on the map link, near the end of the post, and scrolling down.

“How Australians think about same-sex marriage, mapped”
by Matt Liddy, Nathan Hoad and Ben Spraggon on ABC News, 14 September.

Polling consistently shows most voters support same-sex marriage — but how do views vary across Australia?

Last year, the ABC’s Vote Compass asked Australians whether they agreed or disagreed with this statement:

Marriage should only be between a man and a woman. 1.

More than 1.2 million Australians responded, and a majority of people indicated support for allowing same-sex couples to marry.
            Disagree       55%
            Undecided    11%
            Agree          33%

More recent polls find similar levels of support for same-sex marriage — between 57% and 63%. But those polls don’t have large enough sample sizes to provide information about views on a local level. But the Vote Compass does.

On the map above every electorate is shaded based on voters’ support for same-sex marriage: blue seats are less supportive and orange seats are more supportive. A quick look reveals that, even in most of rural and regional Australia, a majority of voters support same-sex marriage.

But this bird’s eye view doesn’t tell the full story — it over-emphasises a handful of large regional electorates, while the much smaller seats in our big population centres remain basically invisible.

Scrolling down the map, here, provides informative details of the metropolitan electoral areas of Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne, and compares them to their respective states.

In fact, support tops 50 per cent in every electorate in Western Australia, South Australia, Tasmania and the territories as well.

1. The postal survey question requires a more informed response: “Should the law be changed to allow same-sex couples to marry?”
...there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain...