The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Marriage Equality: Toward victory in U.S.--On to the rest of the world?  (Read 116327 times)

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
Re: Marriage Equality: Toward victory in U.S.--On to the rest of the world?
« Reply #466 on: December 07, 2017, 03:30:04 PM »
Just read in the Australian news, couples who married overseas will have their marriages recognized after midnight. It's already Friday there.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-08/same-sex-marriage-legal-after-gg-approval/9239334

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 03:39:31 PM by fritzkep »

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?

Offline Paul029

• Obsessed
« Reply #468 on: December 07, 2017, 08:54:03 PM »
Just read in the Australian news, couples who married overseas will have their marriages recognized after midnight. It's already Friday there.
That was part of the change to the 1961 Marriage Act, Fritz.  :)

I see that the Governor-General has today given Royal Assent to the new marriage act, too. Hooray!  ;D
...there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain...

Offline Paul029

• Obsessed
« Reply #469 on: December 07, 2017, 09:08:11 PM »
Australia has officially become the 26th country to legalise same-sex marriage after the law was passed on Thursday with the overwhelming backing of both Houses of the Federal Parliament.

Senator Dean Smith’s Marriage Amendment (Definition and Religious Freedom) Bill went through unchanged, after 55 hours of speeches, 57 by Senators and 118 by MPs in the House of Representatives, despite a push from conservative politicians for additional exemptions, including for religious organisations, civil celebrants, and Defence chaplains.

Only four MPs in the House of Representatives voted against the bill (seen below on the left side of the House), just more than a week after it was agreed to by the Senate.

Under the new law, ministers of religion and religious marriage celebrants will be able to act in accordance with their religious beliefs about marriage. Religious bodies will also be able to act in accordance with their doctrines, tenets, and beliefs in providing facilities, goods, and services in connection with marriage.

However, amendments to permit civil celebrants opposed to same-sex unions to decline to solemnise same-sex marriages, or to refuse service at weddings, were all defeated.

When will the first weddings happen?

The bill requires Royal Assent from Governor-General Peter Cosgrove to ratify the change to the Marriage Act 1961 and making same-sex marriage legal. He did so today, and same-sex couples are now able to register to marry.

Like heterosexual couples, they must wait 30 days after registration before a ceremony can take place. The first legal same-sex weddings in Australia could happen about January 9, 2018.

Same-sex couples who wed overseas, or have already done so, will now automatically have their marriages recognised for the first time in Australia.  :)

The Attorney-General’s department is making necessary arrangements to implement this significant social change recognising the outcome of the postal survey and the legislation. This includes updating marriage forms and certificates and information to assist marrying couples and authorised celebrants. The forms and other information will be available online following the proclamation of the bill.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 02:28:38 AM by Paul029 »
...there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain...

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #470 on: December 07, 2017, 09:29:41 PM »
Paul, I've heard that exceptions can be made so that couples can get married before January in the case of emergency or poor health or things like that, do you know if these exceptions are taken care of in this legal process?

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #471 on: December 07, 2017, 10:01:30 PM »
Paul, I've heard that exceptions can be made so that couples can get married before January in the case of emergency or poor health or things like that, do you know if these exceptions are taken care of in this legal process?

Yes, the existing Marriage Regulations in rare cases allow for people to apply to a prescribed authority to marry before the 30 days after signing the Notice of Marriage Intention. The grounds include medical , legal proceedings etc, employment commitments and conditions and visa and  travel arrangements that can't be changed without penalty.

Offline Paul029

• Obsessed
« Reply #472 on: December 08, 2017, 03:23:55 AM »
Malcolm Turnbull and George Brandis (left & center), The Governor-General, Sir Peter Cosgrove (right).
Picture: Kym Smith.

Sir Peter Cosgrove gave the new marriage equality laws Royal Assent this morning when he was visited by Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and Attorney-General George Brandis in Canberra.

The updated Notice of Intended Marriage is now available online and same-sex couples will be able to lodge formal intentions to wed from tomorrow, Saturday 9 November, allowing them to marry from January 9, 2018.

The form includes new categories Partner 1 and Partner 2 (replacing Bridegroom and Bride), a “Description of Party” section offering three options: groom, bride and partner, and now three categories for gender, male, female”and “x” (which is described as “indeterminate, intersex or unspecified”).

“It is now part of Australian law,” an elated Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said after he and Attorney-General George Brandis visited the Governor-General. “It tells all same-sex couples we love and respect you, now go out there and get married,” he said.

The Prime Minister described the legalisation of same-sex marriage as “one of the most remarkable moments in our history,” and told Channel Seven’s Sunrise program this morning that he was the first Australian prime minister to commit to ensuring gay couples could marry.

One of those quick to make the most of the law change is Australia’s ambassador to France, Brendan Berne, who posted a video on the embassy’s Facebook page of his proposal to his partner, Thomas Marti.

“As ambassador to France, this is a great day for my country Australia which has passed marriage for all. But also for me personally. Now, as Australia has just approved marriage equality, it is my turn to confirm my relationship with my partner of 11 years, Thomas,” he said in heavily-accented French on a balcony at the Australian Embassy in Paris, with the Eiffel Tower in the background.

After moving into Marti’s office, he says “I’d like to ask you a question. Would you please marry me?” In response Thomas gets up from his swivel chair for a long embrace with his new fiance.

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #473 on: December 08, 2017, 08:33:40 AM »
Aw, sweet!

Geaux Australia and Austria!

(When I lived in Austria back in the 60's, my mother sent me a subscription to the Sunday edition of the New Orleans local paper. It went by ship of course, and usually took well over a week to reach me, but occasionally it took months to get some of the papers. I could see by the cancellations that the paper came to Austria via Australia! Obviously someone in the post office misread the address!)

Offline Paul029

• Obsessed
« Reply #474 on: December 08, 2017, 06:58:07 PM »
^^^
I couldn't help chuckling about that, Fritz.  :laugh:

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #475 on: December 08, 2017, 07:00:32 PM »
They both start and end with a, close enough!  ;D

Offline Paul029

• Obsessed
« Reply #476 on: December 14, 2017, 04:55:22 AM »
Australia's first same-sex marriage will happen sooner than January 9, 2018

When Federal parliament passed the new marriage legislation on December 8, a mandatory four-week wait meant that the first same-sex nuptials were on track for January 9.

But because Melbourne women Maureen Stapleton and Stephanie Dybal had organised their wedding for December 21, and had relatives flying in from overseas, they were granted legal approval to go ahead with their plans.

“They have family flying down, and had everything booked and paid for back in May when no one thought the law was going to change ... so Births, Deaths and Marriages approved it,” their wedding celebrant and gay rights activist, Jason Tuazon-McCheyne, told AAP today.

His Canadian same-sex marriage of eighteen years has now also been recognised in Australia under the new marriage act.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/latest-news/first-samesex-marriage-before-christmas/news-story/071a4e2526f66f84d9874adbcfd0a4f8?nk=87d6305b41f67403a8b73a176b577e9e-1513251036

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #478 on: December 14, 2017, 06:17:58 AM »
Australia's first same-sex marriage will happen sooner than January 9, 2018

This is excellent news!

WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #479 on: December 14, 2017, 01:19:55 PM »
Geaux Oz!