The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Marriage Equality: Toward victory in U.S.--On to the rest of the world?  (Read 41278 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: Marriage Equality: Toward victory in U.S.--On to the rest of the world?
« Reply #570 on: August 26, 2018, 11:22:31 AM »

That's cool, CHuck!!!

Is it cool to still say "cool" now?  Heh!

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #571 on: August 26, 2018, 12:40:24 PM »
That's cool, CHuck!!!

Is it cool to still say "cool" now?  Heh!

Well if it is not cool to say cool anymore, then you and I are not cool, Lyle!! :laugh:
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #572 on: August 26, 2018, 01:08:25 PM »
    ;D

Offline heavenonearth

• Loyal HEATHEN
  • Obsessed
  • A Star is Born 1979-2008
« Reply #573 on: August 26, 2018, 01:12:01 PM »
Well if it is not cool to say cool anymore, then you and I are not cool, Lyle!! :laugh:

Cool!  :) I'm glad to know I'm cool also.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 01:23:10 PM by heavenonearth »
I know a love that will never grow old.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #574 on: August 26, 2018, 05:54:27 PM »
I'm guessing with so many countries legalizing gay marriage now, members feel the need to post in this thread has decreased.

Strange. It's a very live issue in a number of countries in the Caribbean and in Asia, for example.

Even here in Australia, there is a push to counteract the legalisation of equal marriage by using spurious concepts of "religious freedom" to wind back anti-discrimination laws.

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #575 on: August 26, 2018, 06:46:37 PM »
As here also.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #576 on: August 27, 2018, 12:32:59 AM »
Yes, extremist religious politicians and lobbyists in Australia copy the tactics and language of their US counterparts.

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #577 on: August 27, 2018, 12:39:05 PM »
In Spain people often forget that the conservative party still has an appeal at the constitutional tribunal against the law aproving equal marriage, it hasn't been decided yet. Even if the opposition to gay marriage has practically disappeared, even among conservatives.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #578 on: September 03, 2018, 07:18:50 PM »
The very popular, very mainstream, long-running Australian soap opera Neighbours showed the first Australian free-to-air commercial TV same-sex wedding last night. I don't watch it, but I did tune in last night because it was a first and because the role of the celebrant is played in an inspired piece of casting by the wonderful and much-loved comedian/actor Magda Szubanski. She played a prominent, dignified role in the Yes campaign in the fraught marriage equality postal plebiscite here last year. One of the grooms is an Australian of Japanese background as is the actor, Takaya Honda who plays him.

The wedding scene comes across as a fairly conventional modern ceremony. It works very well and happily. It includes personal vows and there are funny moments, but nobody camps it up. Magda as the officiant makes a well-worded, brief statement celebrating the achievement of marriage equality. There is emotion, but no sugary sentimentality. The kiss is well done.

There's an account of the episode and reflection on its importance in this illustrated article:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/sep/04/neighbours-first-same-sex-wedding-reflects-australias-glorious-new-reality

Also

https://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/m25tvfta-20180718-h12urt.html

https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/neighbours-aired-its-first-gay-wedding-and-it-was-so-beautiful/#gs.nyjKYFE

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #579 on: November 05, 2018, 08:24:32 PM »
A draft bill to set up same-sex civil partnership is due after 5 years to go to the Thai cabinet

Bill gives hope to gay couples
Partners would get '90% of due rights' 6 Nov 2018 at 08:45
 WRITER: KING-OUA LAOHONG

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1570510/bill-gives-hope-to-gay-couples.

I'm not sure I understand the thinking. I assume Civil Partnerships were invented in Western countries because marriage was based on religions, most of which rejected same-sex marriage, though in countries like France, legal marriage hss long been a civil ceremony with religious ceremonies being optional, separate events. In Australia, since the old days, there has a Registry Office option that often used to be considered at least a bit second-rate or scandalous and from the mid 1970s, a civil marriage scheme that became so popular, the overwhelming majority of marriages (70% +) have been solemnized by authorised civil marriage celebrants.

In Thailand, where I think more than 90% of the population is Buddhist, marriages are legalised by registering at the district office. There is no Buddhist marriage ceremony, though people invite monks home to chant and be offered food early in the morning in order to make merit. Customary marriages are not religious, but solemnised by family and community rituals which don't involve vows. I know of same-sex couples who have had customary marriage ceremonies, but their marriage cannot be legally recognised by registering at the district office. Thai Christians and Muslims have ceremonies conducted by clerics, but I think they would still have to be legalised by registering at the district office.

So far as I understand it, same-sex relationships among the laity are not considered sinful by Thai Buddhists and not condemned in scriptures. There have been no laws against homosexuality in the modern history of the country.

I was taken aback to read in the Bangkok Post recently that school textbooks, which must be approved by the Ministry of Education, characterise homosexuals as sexual deviants and that textbooks can be revised only once in a decade, so when there might be a chance to correct them is not clear.

Phong and I married in Melbourne last January. We couldn't organise to have anyone from his family present, but we asked a Thai friend who is not related to Phong to lead the way in the customary lustral ritual. As she poured the perfumed water over my hands, she said “Welcome to the family!” Phong's younger sister and eldest brother in Thailand, at our request, enthusuastically had Thai shirts and sashes made for us to wear and sent them to us.

Phong's parents, siblings and their families have always considered me part of the family. When we arrived in the village in September for the first time since our wedding, men of the family rushed to hug me very tightly. Phong's eldest sister, who like the others has always welcomed me and wanted to cook for us, came to me and made a speech in Thai, in which I recognised repetitions of of the word for family.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 08:32:50 PM by tfferg »