The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Nightcrawler Discussion Thread  (Read 87023 times)

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
Re: Nightcrawler Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2014, 02:01:59 PM »
Firstly I'm glad I saw it.

Me too.

I think, on reflection, that the way we feel about Jake after he gave us Jack Twist could be a problem in approaching this film with enough objectivity to feel comfortable watching it. In a way I had to put Jack aside in order to let Lou Bloom in and that was hard. Only then was it possible to completely appreciate what I was seeing without baggage. I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else.

It does, Janie. It's exactly how I see it as well.

I've said many times, on various Jake threads, that I see glimpses of Jack Twist in (almost) every character Jake has ever played. Which is bizarre of course, but I'm sure you understand what I mean.

I didn't see Jack in Lou Bloom. Not at all - not a trace. And yes, that was difficult. In a way, it was shocking to see Jake play such a character.

But Denis Villeneuve (who directed 'Prisoners' and 'Enemy') has said Jake is able to play at least 20 completely different personalities. So who knows... maybe there's more from where Lou came from  ;)

http://www.loubloom.com/

Chaos is order yet undeciphered.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2014, 02:19:49 PM »

I think I'm perfectly able to distinguish between Jack, Jake and Lou.

But I must say that I've had my share with "strange", weird Jake roles lately - Enemy, Prisoners, Source Code - I'm not sure if I'm able to take in yet another "weirdo" role.

I don't want to express here, however, that I long for a sweet, innocent, harmless Jake role. By no means.

WISE UP

Ing Kräddi Böll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

"And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that."

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2014, 03:27:48 PM »

For the German Jake lovers - here comes a review in Süddeutsche Zeitung:

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/kultur/nightcrawler-im-kino-im-sog-des-schauens-1.2215246-2
WISE UP

Ing Kräddi Böll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
  • love is a force of nature
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2014, 06:37:42 PM »

Jake:  You're not gonna say it?

Riz:  Say what?

Jake:  "I wish I knew how to quit you"?

Riz:  Why would I say something like that?

;D
There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2014, 12:46:29 AM »
WISE UP

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2014, 12:47:03 AM »

Including much praise for our Jake:

"Jake Gyllenhaal, nach intensiven Auftritten in "End Of Watch", "Prisoners" und "Enemy" offenbar bereit, sich in einen abseitigen, düsteren Charakter zu versenken, zeigt hier eine seiner besten Leistungen: Sein Lou Bloom ist alles andere als sympathisch. Dennoch balanciert Gyllenhaal seine Figur so fein zwischen Abscheulichkeit und Emphase aus, dass man bei ihm bleibt, sich zeitweise zum Komplizen macht, selbst wenn sich sogar schon sein von der Straße angeheuerter Fahrer und Assistent Rick (Riz Ahmed) angeekelt abwendet. So wird Bloom zum modernen Verwandten von schillernden Kino-Soziopathen wie "Taxi Driver" Travis Bickle oder "American Psycho" Patrick Bateman."
WISE UP

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2014, 09:17:01 AM »
But I must say that I've had my share with "strange", weird Jake roles lately - Enemy, Prisoners, Source Code - I'm not sure if I'm able to take in yet another "weirdo" role.

I don't want to express here, however, that I long for a sweet, innocent, harmless Jake role. By no means.

Of course you don't!  :D  I have high hopes for 'Demolition' (with Naomi Watts) being somewhat sweet and harmless, Ingy.

I don't think his character in 'Source Code' was a weirdo - the film  was ehm... let's say, challenging  ;D

And what's "strange" about Enemy?  ;)  ;D   No, I agree, it's a weird film, but it's my favorite Jake film / performance after Brokeback. I can't really explain why, but something in the Adam character touches me. It still hurts that so many people dislike the film. Jake is excellent in it.

But weren't we talking about 'Nightcrawler'?

I quite like this shot. Actually, Lou looks pretty good here!

Chaos is order yet undeciphered.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2014, 09:25:17 AM »

Oh, that portrait is brilliant!

;)
WISE UP

Offline janiebbmart

• Obsessed
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2014, 09:36:11 AM »
That's an excellent attitude.

Makes me think twice.

Thank you Ingy. It's just my personal take on things you understand. If it was Heath I'd feel exactly the same.  ;)

Offline janiebbmart

• Obsessed
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2014, 09:43:44 AM »
Me too.

It does, Janie. It's exactly how I see it as well.

I've said many times, on various Jake threads, that I see glimpses of Jack Twist in (almost) every character Jake has ever played. Which is bizarre of course, but I'm sure you understand what I mean.

I didn't see Jack in Lou Bloom. Not at all - not a trace. And yes, that was difficult. In a way, it was shocking to see Jake play such a character.

But Denis Villeneuve (who directed 'Prisoners' and 'Enemy') has said Jake is able to play at least 20 completely different personalities. So who knows... maybe there's more from where Lou came from  ;)

http://www.loubloom.com/

Sonja I've also looked for Jack in all Jake's roles...just a certain smile or gesture, and usually there's something. But not this time. I think that's what did it for me, seeing such a fully formed, totally alien character emerge. It scared me to death to tell you the truth but in an admiring sort of way.

Thanks for the link. What a truly weird mission statement that is!

Offline janiebbmart

• Obsessed
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2014, 09:45:44 AM »
I think I'm perfectly able to distinguish between Jack, Jake and Lou.

It might be nice though after everything he's put us through lately.  ;D

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2014, 10:28:54 AM »
At the risk of sounding like "Captain Obvious" could Jake pull of a Jack type role today?  I mean he was how old when he filmed Brokeback??

At the ripe old age of 33, you just want to see him in something meaty don't you??   :D

I think as long as he keeps mixing it up, maybe follow Nighcrawler up with something a bit lighter!
There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2014, 11:23:00 AM »
I think as long as he keeps mixing it up, maybe follow Nighcrawler up with something a bit lighter!

That's not happening according to what he's already done/been doing:

Southpaw
Demolition
Everest

...and they're threatening to release Nailed.

Did some astrologer or psychic recently tell Jake to do only movies with one
word in the title?  Nightcrawler. Prisoners. Enemy.

Of course, several years ago he did Brothers. Zodiac. Proof. Jarhead. Rendition.
Not unheard of...that's why Madonna's song titles are no more than three words.

And looking at his films the last decade, what are his characters realtionships with
women in all these films? Peripheral at best, it seems.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 11:29:41 AM by Lyle (Mooska) »

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2014, 11:27:38 AM »
Wasn't he also suppose to be playing Pablo Escobar in a movie?

Don't forget Love and Other Drugs, that's four words!  :D  I actually liked that movie, you can't go wrong with him and Anne, at least not in my book.

Have you seen Nightcrawler yet Lyle??

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2014, 11:33:56 AM »

No.