The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Post BBM events, BBM news, or links to other BBM sites  (Read 39790 times)

Offline SwissCowboy

• Getting Acquainted
    • Brokeback Cowboys
Re: Post BBM events, BBM news, or links to other BBM sites
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2006, 04:37:13 AM »
www.brokebackcowboys.de.tf

Leave a message, take a note or if German speaking meet us in www.cineman.ch Forum Brokeback Mountain.

Offline tome6

• Feet Wet
  • The Look of Love
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2006, 04:27:29 PM »
www.brokebackmountainvermont.com

has gotten over 800 signature on the petition to name a mountain in Vermont Brokeback Mountain.  They are headed for 1000 and the goal is 2000.  Please thes wonderful New Englanders out..

I love Brokeback Mountain!

Offline gracie

• Getting Acquainted
MTV Movie Awards - Vote
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2006, 07:36:32 AM »
Heath and Jake were nominated for Best Kiss and Jake for Best Performance.

Please vote repeatedly here!

Offline TwistsBitch

• Obsessed
  • you inspired me
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2006, 02:34:09 PM »
The British Film Institute is running a season on Classic Westerns and I am thrilled to report they are including Brokeback Mountain in the line up!

http://www.bfi.org.uk/incinemas/nft/seasons/classicwesterns/
Welcome to Hotel Brokeback! You can check out any time you like but you can never leave

I rip my heart open / I sew myself shut / My weakness is / That I care too much / My scars remind me / That my past is real / I rip my heart open / Just to feel  Nietzsche

wyomen

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2006, 09:45:08 PM »
Just a note, BBM is coming out on Pay per View on May 18th. All those people that didn't want to go out for the theatre or the DVD will be able to sit at home and watch it. Expect to see some new faces here soon!

Offline TomS

• Experienced
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2006, 12:09:00 PM »
There was a good article today (May 1) on news24.com about Ang Lee being honored by Time Magazine

Offline tome6

• Feet Wet
  • The Look of Love
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006, 06:06:23 AM »
www.brokebackmountainvermont.com is approaching 1000 signatures on the way the ultimate goal of 2000.  The website needs the support of Dave Cullen members.  Please check out this beautiful website and lend the very cool state of Vermont your support.  Hopefully Dave and Pete can round up more support for the site. Help make a dream become a reality.

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2006, 03:34:21 AM »

Offline tome6

• Feet Wet
  • The Look of Love
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2006, 10:38:07 AM »
Send a get well greeting to John the founder of www.brokebackmountainvermont.com. John is undergoing bypass surgey this week and a get well email from the site from everyone at Davecullen.com would be cool.
A great get well gift would be a signature on the petition.  We are approcahing 1000 and I think that number will make John feel much  better.

Garry_LH

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2006, 05:57:40 AM »
For those out side of the current insanity of the US, the national constitutional ban on gay marriage appears to be only fifteen votes short of passing in the US Sentate.

http://www.planetout.com/news/article.html?2006/05/11/4

Offline Lynne

• Feet Wet
BBM at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2006, 02:02:11 PM »
Brokeback Mountain is going to be screened at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta on the evening of Thursday, June 29.

A small group of Brokies in the TN/AL area and from BetterMost (www.bettermost.net/forum) area are going to make the trip to see the movie and find some fun in Atlanta for a few days.  We would like to cordially invite anyone here who has an interest in meeting some more folks who share the commitment to BBM to join us.

Here is a link to the Fox Theatre article:

http://foxtheatre.org/cgi-bin/calendar/calendar.cgi?d=29&m=06&y=2006

Please PM me of your interest and I'll keep you apprised of details as they develop.

Alternately, you may check/post at the following BetterMost thread (I believe it's viewable to non-members, but a login is required to post):

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=2297.msg36868#msg36868

Yours in BBM fellowship,
Lynne
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 02:09:18 PM by Lynne »
'Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.'
Martin Luther King, Jr., Letter from a Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

Offline Lynne

• Feet Wet
For NYC Area Brokies
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2006, 03:11:13 PM »
While I'm posting news, it occurs to me that I should also let y'all know that there is a fabulous contribution being made by Jenny, a friend and fellow Brokie coming up in NYC:

She will have a booth of some very cool BBM T-shirts at the NYC/Manhattan Pride Festival on Sunday, June 25th.  Her booth will be located between the ACLU booth and the BRAVO networks booth.  I urge anyone in NYC for this event to stop by and meet Jenny.

*****All Proceeds are Donated to the Matthew Shepard Foundation*****
[/b]

In Jenny's own words:

Most people know that Matthew was killed in a horrible hate crime outside of Laramie, Wyoming in 1998, about a year after the short story was first published. The foundation was created in Matthew's memory to increase love, tolerance, and compassion in the world as it educates people about hatred and homophobia. In making my shirts, I wanted to help people share their love of BBM with the public at large, and also translate their love (and grief) into a positive and tangible contribution that will go toward making the world safer and better for the real-life Jacks and Ennises still struggling to live and love freely in this world. Because of the geographical and other connections between Matthew's story and the story of Brokeback, it was the only place I ever considered sending my profits.

I think Jenny's work is a true honor to the way Brokeback Mountain has influenced so many of us and how we're all working to "finish the story" in our own lives.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 02:37:46 PM by peteinportland »
'Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.'
Martin Luther King, Jr., Letter from a Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

Offline newyearsday

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2006, 01:12:59 PM »
Hello to all,

I am the Jenny spoken of in the preceding post. Though I hardly ever post here, I registered during the Variety Ad campaign. Got a great framed copy of the ad hanging on my wall right above my computer.  :)

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that you can PM me here with any questions about the Pridefest booth, or my online shop. I am getting really excited for the festival and hope that any NY area davecullen-ers can come down and say howdy. I'm really psyched I got such a great location. The booth will be on Hudson near LeRoy, on the west side of the street I think.

And, for those who were in San Francisco last week to attend the Castro screenings, I heard that you all clapped and cheered when you saw the cowboy hats charm necklace I made for my BetterMost friend, Barb. If you saw that and want one, please PM me. I can make a few more for people who want them. (I am not doing that to raise money for the Matthew Shepard Foundation though, only the t-shirts.)

Cheers,

Jenny/newyearsday

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2006, 11:53:30 AM »
Not sure where to put this, it may even have popped up somewhere else!

'Brokeback Mountain' theme of gay parade 
By NATALIE STOREY | The New Mexican
June 16, 2006

The Santa Fe gay community won’t quit Brokeback Mountain.

In the spirit of Ennis del Mar and Jack Twist, the rugged cowboys who fall in love in the movie Brokeback Mountain, this year’s Pride on the Plaza festival will celebrate gay cowboys. The annual parade, which will be held June 24, has Brokeback as its theme. Among the floats will be members of the Gay Rodeo Association and their horses, which will have a gay rodeo clown/pooper scooper following them.

“It is a really important movie,” said Donald Stout, an organizer of Pride on the Plaza, Santa Fe’s annual celebration of the gay and lesbian community being held this week and next. “I think most people in the gay community felt that way about it. It busted apart a lot of stereotypes.”

The massive public dialogue that followed the movie has come to be called, The Brokeback Effect. Brokeback has spurred a number of trends from an increase in popularity of Western wear among gay men to popular jokes and even to an adjective used to describe something of questionable masculinity. A party, for example, that has too many men and too few women might now be described as “totally Brokeback.” Some people attribute the Willie Nelson song, Cowboys Are Frequently, Secretly Fond of Each Other to the popularity of the movie.

Brokeback Mountain, which came out in 2005 and is based on a short story by E. Annie Proulx, won four Golden Globes and three Oscars.

The movie’s most important effect will be its challenge of stereotypes on both sides, said Jeff Lowe, who runs New Mexico’s gay rodeo, called the Zia Regional Rodeo, which will be held Aug. 17-20 in Albuquerque.

Not only do Jack and Ennis defy the popular icon of the Western cowboy, but they also cease to be flamboyantly gay, which, to many people, is the standard for what it means to be a gay man, Lowe said. “The old adage, don’t judge a book by its cover, really applies here,” he said.

Many of the Gay Rodeo Association’s members will be in Santa Fe next weekend to show off their stuff in the parade. The association celebrates its 20th anniversary this year.

Pride on the Plaza is hoping to capitalize on that. Plus, Stout said, every gay man loves a good looking cowboy.

FUNGURL

Offline In Tears

• Experienced
www.FindingBrokeback.com Site
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2006, 03:32:07 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Four members of this group have launched a free website containing Brokeback filming location information.  It is designed for travelers and armchair travelers. 

www.FindingBrokeback.com

(start at "DVD Chapters," pick a chapter and then select thumbnails of scenes that interest you.) 

Please see what you think, tell us, and sign the guest book. 

Thanks to many people on this board who helped with the project and encouraged us along the way!  This is a great group and we are proud to be a small part of it!
"Later, that dozy embrace solidified in his memory as the single moment of artless, charmed happiness in their separate and difficult lives."