The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Post BBM events, BBM news, or links to other BBM sites  (Read 39789 times)

Offline asianguy

• Getting Acquainted
Re: Post BBM events, BBM news, or links to other BBM sites
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2006, 01:14:29 AM »
The Bergen RECORD supplement magazine "GO" on Friday July 7, 2006 under "The Big List Things to DO" reports "BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN" will be shown at 9 pm on Wednesday July 12th in the Movies Under the Stars series at Pier A Park, Frank Sinatra Drive and First Street Hoboken , NJ. 201-420-2207 hobokennj.org

Offline kjs73

• Virgin
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2006, 12:01:40 AM »
Will definetly go to Hoboken to see BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN outdoors! I wonder what the crowd will be like, and if anyone else from this forum will be going.

Offline dback

• Obsessed
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2006, 08:12:35 PM »
Moderator, feel free to move this post wherever you think it should go:

TLA video (www.tlavideo.com) is offering a "Brokeback" wall calendar--will be available in August.
"No reins on this one."

Offline BayCityJohn

• Obsessed
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2006, 12:45:38 PM »
thought you would be interested in this item from OregonLive.com. (This page may also contain advertising.)

http://www.oregonlive.com/commentary/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/editorial/1155331503265300.xml&coll=7

Same-sex marriage: Even the courts are struggling to explain why not
Recent legal rationales given for maintaining the opposite-sex matrimonial tradition are convoluted -- and discriminatory
Sunday, August 13, 2006
MARY PITMAN KITCH
The Oregonian
"You know I ain't queer." -- Ennis Del Mar "Me neither." -- Jack Twist "Brokeback Mountain" movie cowboys after falling in love

I t's a sad summer for the nation's estimated 600,000 gay and lesbian couples. Half of their neighbors, a majority of their elected representatives and now the highest courts in New York and Washington state have found a way to rationalize excluding them from marriage.

Yet even prisoners can marry. Last year, 78 Oregon inmates exercised that right, sealing their weddings with a brief hug and kiss before returning to their cells. But last month, New York's highest court ruled 4-2 and Washington's ruled 5-4 that gays and lesbians can't select a spouse.

They can marry people they don't love, as the cowboy lovers did in the movie "Brokeback Mountain," to hide their sexual orientation. The New York and Washington courts held that states can reserve marriage for opposite-sex couples, primarily to boost the well-being of children.

But how does preventing same-sex couples from marriage help kids? It's all a bit fuzzy and mysterious; neither court could adequately explain it. As the Washington court put it somewhat apologetically, legislators were "entitled to believe" excluding gays protects families.

It's not as though marriage licenses are a scarce commodity, though. The 3,000 gay couples who married in Oregon two years ago did not deprive any other Oregonians of their ability to marry. Nor would allowing same-sex couples to marry diminish the supply of supposedly ideal Mom-and-Dad homes available to kids.

Still, is a state entitled to safeguard its opposite-sex marriage tradition, just because it is a tradition? In the mid-1990s, the chance that Hawaii would legalize same-sex marriage ignited a chain-reaction of defense of marriage acts all over the country, defining marriage as between a man and a woman.

In 1996 Congress approved a federal Defense of Marriage Act, too, which gave states permission to shun same-sex marriages performed across state lines. To an anthropologist, these DOMA laws made perfect sense. Our legislators, the equivalent of tribal elders, were drawing magical circles around our communities, and ultimately our states, deciding who belongs -- and who doesn't.

The idea of same-sex marriage struck most people as strange and scary, so these laws (and the constitutional amendments that followed) looked like attempts to ward off a perceived threat. Yet they also discriminated against a minority.

It's one thing for a tribal elder to utter mumbo-jumbo and exclude a minority. It's another for a court to uphold the legality of such discrimination. Courts must find that the discriminatory law has some basis in reason and isn't motivated by prejudice. Neither the Washington nor New York court succeeded in showing that.

"The legislative history of the (DOMA) law reveals that it stems, in substantial part, from thinly-veiled animosity against a minority group," Washington Justice Bobbe J. Bridge wrote in her unsparing dissent.

"Its very title asserts as much -- 'defense' of marriage. Defense from what? Against whom?" Everyone else allowed

Still, some fear recognizing same-sex marriage would confer an official stamp of approval on homosexuality. Oh, wait. Courts have held that tax cheats, deadbeat parents and even murderers on Death Row have the right to marry. Their fellow citizens are not obliged to approve of any of them.

"When civil law already permits the delinquent, the divorced, the imprisoned, the sterile and the insane to marry," gay commentator Andrew Sullivan wrote tartly several years ago, "it seems -- how should I put this? -- revealing that it draws the line at homosexuals." Sadly, such line-drawing is nothing new.

Courts once rationalized legislative taboos on other mixtures believed to contaminate society, like the marriage of blacks and whites. Nearly 40 years ago, the Supreme Court finally struck down these racist state laws.

State courts justified bans on interracial marriage by saying they treated blacks and whites equally: Neither color could marry someone of the other color. The Washington court echoed this crude rationale, saying the ban on same-sex marriage treats men and women equally. Neither can pick a person of the same sex -- the person they want to marry.

Neither can pick a spouse the way every other American picks one, on the basis of a mysterious gut certainty combining sexual passion, whimsy, devotion and crazy love.

Did Ennis Del Mar in "Brokeback Mountain" pick the exuberant Jack Twist because of his goofy grin or his tuneless harmonica? Did Jack pick the taciturn Ennis because it was fun to make him laugh? Like every other couple, they don't know.

They just know they have lucked into the best thing in life -- a blazing and requited love. If only they could have sealed it by marrying each other, instead of smothering it in passionless marriages for 20 years. Forget parental argument

And remember those tired rationales about protecting children that the New York and Washington courts relied on? News flash. Earlier this summer the American Academy of Pediatrics took the opposite stand. "More than 25 years of research have documented that there is no relationship between parents' sexual orientation and any measure of a child's emotional, psychosocial and behavioral adjustment," the pediatricians said.

". . . Conscientious and nurturing adults, whether they are men or women, heterosexual or homosexual, can be excellent parents. The rights, benefits and protections of civil marriage can further strengthen these families."

In 2004, Oregon voters enacted a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage. So the best hope now to protect gay and lesbian families is to create Vermont-style civil unions. In 2007, that's what the Oregon Legislature should do. And the Washington court even pointed in this direction, admitting the hardship that its state's ban causes for gay and lesbian couples. Even though the court deferred to the wisdom of legislators, it also suggested these tribal elders might want to take another look.

All around us, the factual, logical and legal rationales for banning same-sex marriage are crumbling. Yet the primitive power of these state bans remains. For the moment, they are still performing their crude function of encircling our tribe and reminding us who we are -- and aren't.

For now, citizens in Oregon and Washington are still eyeing each other across state lines, and repeating, like the sad lovers in "Brokeback Mountain," what amounts to an incantation: "I ain't queer."

"Me neither."

Reach Mary Pitman Kitch at marykitch@news.oregonian.com.
Once a virgin, always a virgin

Offline dback

• Obsessed
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2006, 01:29:30 PM »
She did a great job with that article.  Thanks for posting it.

Are there enough Oregon/Southern Washington folks interested in a Portland-area get-together at some point?  We should show all these Southern folks that we exist, too.  :)
"No reins on this one."

Gonzo

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2006, 01:34:36 PM »

Are there enough Oregon/Southern Washington folks interested in a Portland-area get-together at some point?  We should show all these Southern folks that we exist, too.  :)

You really should, not just to show us you exist but to have a really good time.  It will surprise you.  It started in Vancouver, continued in Philly.  Who knows where it will stop.  It's worth whatever trouble you may perceive.  Denver folks are trying to get something going.  That might be too far to combine with them, but maybe not.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Obsessed
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2006, 02:09:14 PM »

I'd fly to Portland for that. My best friend lives there, and maybe I'd get to meet Pete. Really missed him at the bbq in Texas.
Once a virgin, always a virgin

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2006, 11:30:59 AM »
Quote from: mary
Annie Proulx will be speaking aon Sept 14th at Davidson College in Davidson NC:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/entertainment/books/15384759.htm

Davidson College

The liberal arts college has a strong series of author events each year. They're free, but tickets are sometimes required. Below is a partial list of events. 704-894-2140; www.davidson.edu.SEPT. 14 -- Novelist Annie Proulx; 8 p.m.; Duke Family Performance Hall.

sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Offline VermontJohn

• Feet Wet
    • Brokeback Mountain Vermont
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2006, 11:26:33 PM »
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, VERMONT WILL BE HAVING A
 BROKEBACK OVERNIGHT CAMPOUT AND A SEPARATE BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN PARTY

We are still having the Brokeback Overnight Campout this Friday,
October 6th about 25 miles from Burlingtom, Vermont.

It doesnt seem like many people can make it due to such short notice.
Sorry about the lack of time to prepare. I had to get this in before
it got too cold otherwise we'd all have to sleep in the same tent and
snuggle up to keep warm. Oh hold on now....maybe I should wait another
month :-) LOL

Anyway, if no one can make it on such short notice, I will go out
there all alone and camp under the Stars with Brokeback in my heart :-)

EXTRA ANNOUNCEMENT:

WE WILL "ALSO" BE HAVING A "BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN PARTY" ON A DIFFERENT DAY.

The Brokeback Mountain Party will be held on Saturday, October 21st.
It will be held in Essex Junction, Vermont.

More details will follow in a day or two.

EVERYONE IS INVITED! Please spread the word!

John

www.brokebackmountainvermont.com

Gonzo

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2006, 06:25:27 PM »
Dave has an important announcement about the forum, which he asks all members to read:

http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=18085.msg602098#msg602098

We have set up a thread to discuss the situation. That discussion thread is linked from the post directly below the message from Dave. Follow the above link and you'll get to both.

Thanks.

Gonzo

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2006, 05:31:30 PM »
The administration has been working extremely hard to solve the slow down issue that has been plaguing the forum for some months now. It has been determined that to solve this we will have to change the host company of the forum. The new host server has now been contracted with by Dave as of today.

We are proceeding rapidly now and hope to have the conversion complete within a few weeks at the latest and hopefully much sooner. We will keep you (members) apprised. Please look for announcements in the Newsbox. Some changes will likely come up suddenly--that is the nature of computer conversions, so it is impossible to know before we test whether something will go flawlessly and take two hours, or uncover thorny issues that will take days. The testing process is being started. This will not affect the forum at this point.

So taking this into consideration, we don't want to give you timeframes that are unrealistic. As soon as we finish a stage, we'll proceed immediately to the next, and the exact changeover will likely come on very short notice to you (members). We will post this changeover time in the Newsbox as well as in the individual threads, and will give you as much lead time as we can manage. This will enable us to end the slowdown ASAP.

Thank you for your patience.

Offline EURman

• Virgin
Russian BBM site
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2007, 12:28:03 AM »
Here is the link to  Russian BBM site:

http://www.brokebackmountain.online-biz.info/

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
Re: Russian BBM site
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2007, 10:27:11 AM »

Благодарю вас!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Lance

• Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2007, 03:23:45 PM »

????????? ???!

biz.info? Is this a real fansite, or just a spammersite? [I don't have my trusty translator with me at the moment.]

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2007, 03:36:07 PM »

????????? ???!

biz.info? Is this a real fansite, or just a spammersite? [I don't have my trusty translator with me at the moment.]

I checked it out Lance, it seems real to me, but their forum doesn't have many entries in it yet. There is a large place in it for an ad to learn English through Hollywood movies, particularly BBM.

And Lance, if you need a Russian translation tool, check this one out, the second entry place is for sentences, the first just for words. The translations are necessarily rough, but reasonably accurate.

http://www.rustran.com/

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."