The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet September - December 2015  (Read 11678 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
The Daily Sheet September - December 2015
« on: August 31, 2015, 08:53:14 PM »

Tuesday, September 1st, 2015

Changes for DCF

How does that expression go?  The only thing in life that's constant is change?   Changes happen all over, and now they're happening here.

After being online for almost 10 years, DCF is about to go through some changes.  Changes that you need to know about.

Posts have been placed around the forum, in the various chat threads, and in the "How the Dave Cullen Forum Has Affected Me" thread. The post is identical in each thread, so please click one of the links below, to be taken directly to the post in question, so you can be informed of the changes that await DCF.

How the Dave Cullen Forum Has Affected Me

Le Bar Slash

The Diner

Fan Fair

Pope Francis Supports LGBT Children's Book

Pope Francis has come out in support of “Little Egg,” a children’s book with the message that it’s okay to have different types of families.  As The Guardian’s Rosie Scammell describes it, “the egg encounters a pair of gay penguins, lesbian rabbits successfully bringing up a family, as well as other family models, including a single parent hippo, a mixed race dog couple, and kangaroos that have adopted polar bear cubs.”

The Pope expressed his approval after author Francesca Pardi sent various LGBT-themed books to the Vatican and wrote a letter describing the negative response she’s received to her book.

“Many parishes across the country are in this period sullying our name and telling falsehoods about our work which deeply offends us,” she wrote. “We have respect for Catholics ... A lot of Catholics give back the same respect, why can’t we have the whole hierarchy of the church behind us?”

Though many Catholics might not support her book, the Pope had a senior official write back to Pardi.

“His holiness is grateful for the thoughtful gesture and for the feelings which it evoked, hoping for an always more fruitful activity in the service of young generations and the spread of genuine human and Christian values,” the letter reads.

Pope Francis Supports LGBT Children's Book

Trans Formation Celebrates 1 Year in London

Around 200 people gathered at the office of Deloitte in High Holborn, London, last night to help Trans*formation – the professional networking group for trans employees and allies – celebrate its first birthday.  Speaking to Gay Star Business, one of Trans*formations co-chairs explained why the group was launched last year.

‘There was a need to bring together trans professionals and supportive organizations,’ said Kimberley Bird, who works for Lloyds Banking Group in IT. ‘Many large organizations are not anti-trans but they are ignorant of the what trans people need to succeed.  ‘I wanted to show organizations that they can use the un-tapped potential of trans colleagues and customers. At the end of the day I wanted to make a difference for the trans community, however small that may be.’

Her sentiment was echoed by fellow co-chair Emma Cusdin, who works in HR for Thomson Reuters: ‘We felt that traditional LGBT networks tended not to focus on trans issues with typically only a few trans people attending LGBT events.  As a trans woman, working in the corporate world, I know that feeling of being alone so I personally got involved with trans*formation to bring trans people together so that we can have a stronger voice.’

Bird said that the response to the group’s launch had been ‘overwhelming’.

Trans Formation Celebrates 1 Year in London

Ellen Page and Straight Actors Playing Gay

Ellen Page has said it is ‘borderline offensive’ to call straight actors ‘brave’ for taking on gay roles.  In an interview with Time, it was suggested that the openly gay actress was ‘brave’ to play a lesbian dying of cancer in her upcoming film Freeheld.

‘Maybe this is a bad thing to say, but I have a hard time when people call actors brave,’ she responded. ‘I don’t really get that, because our job is to read something on a page.’  The 28-year-old added: ‘When people are [called] brave in regards to playing LGBTQ people, that’s borderline offensive.  I’m never going to be considered brave for playing a straight person, and nor should I be.’

Page recently confronted Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz about his discrimination of LGBTI people in the name of ‘religious freedom,’ and she addressed the debate in the interview.

‘The tricky thing about religion is you can’t even have a conversation. You just cannot have a conversation. It doesn’t affect me: For me it goes in one ear and out the other,’ she said.

‘But when you think of young people who are potentially being preached to by said person and their parents believe it, and they happen to be gay or trans or what-have-you, they’re going to have a really, really challenging time.'

Ellen Page and Straight Actors Playing Gay

Two More Trans Women Murdered

The murders of two more black transgender women were reported in the US this week.  The women were slain earlier in the year but were initially misgendered in police and news reports.

Jasmine Collins, 32, was stabbed to death in Kansas City in June during an argument with a woman over a pair of Vans shoes, according to KCTV.  Tia Townsel was been arrested and charged with second-degree murder.

The Guardian uncovered Collins’ true gender identity while reporting on the murder of another transgender woman of color, Tamara Dominguez, in the city.

Keyshia Blige, 33 pictured left, was shot in the shoulder on 7 March while driving with a friend in Aurora, Illinois. She continued to drive but ran into a Jeep and died later in hospital.  Police said the killing was ‘definitely not a hate crime’ and no arrests have been made.

The Chicago Tribune initially misgendered Blige, though later reported that she had been taking hormones since January. It was also the Guardian that confirmed her gender identity with friends.

Two More Trans Women Murdered

Ricky Martin on Donald Trump

Puerto Rican singer Ricky Martin has put Donald Trump on blast for ‘continuing to gratuitously harass the Latin community.’  Since his presidential announcement speech in June, the Republican forerunner has made disparaging comments about immigrants, especially Latinos, and has even proposed building a ‘great wall’ along the Mexican border.

‘The fact that an individual like Donald Trump, a candidate for the presidency of the United States for the Republican party, has the audacity to continue to gratuitously harass the Latin community makes my blood boil,’ Martin wrote in a scathing op-ed for Univision, and translated by Billboard.  ‘When did this character assume he could make comments that are racist, absurd, and above all incoherent and ignorant about us Latinos?  From the beginning his intention was transparent: basically tell barbarities and lies to remain relevant in the public opinion, for votes or simply to stay on the media’s radar.’

The openly gay singer also called out Trump for having a Univision reporter removed from a press conference in Iowa after he repeatedly asked the billionaire about his immigration policies.

‘Yesterday’s episode against journalist Jorge Ramos, one of the most beloved and respected Latinos in world media, has gotten to the point of enough is enough,’ he wrote.

Martin then called on Latinos to unite against Trump: ‘Enough is enough!

‘If we are united for some things we should be united for others. We have already shown the United States who we are and we cannot allow this behavior.

Ricky Martin on Donald Trump

Sister Wives Cast on Gay Marriage Ruling

A group of polygamous American Mormons are hoping the Supreme Court’s verdict allowing same-sex marriage in all US states will help them make their case in being allowed to live together as a family.  Kody Brown and his wives Meri, Janelle, Christine, and Robyn are being taken to court by the state of Utah over their decision to live together under the same roof with their seventeen children.

The Browns’ plural relationship was made public when the family chose to star in the 2010 TLC reality TV show Sister Wives.   The Browns are members of the Apostolic United Brethren – a fundamentalist sect within Mormonism that still practices polygamy.

Only Kody and Meri legally married. However Kody has held non-legally binding commitment ceremonies with his other wives and until now bigamy has been defined by cohabitation under Utah’s laws, not whether a marriage is legal or not.

The Browns won a federal court case striking down that part of the law in 2013 allowing them to continue to live together as one family.   However Utah Attorney General Sean Reyes has continued to appeal the case to higher courts and it may eventually make its way to the US Supreme Court.

Their lawyers say the Supreme Court has already agreed in principle that the Browns should be left alone by the law through their ruling on same-sex marriage.

Sister Wives Cast on Gay Marriage Ruling

Kim Ledger Remembers Heath

Days ahead of International Overdose Day, Heath Ledger’s father, Kim, is remembering his late son — who passed away in 2008 at the age of 28 from an accidental intoxication from prescription drugs — by bringing awareness to overdose education and celebrating his son's talents.

“He was our beautiful son who we are so, so proud of, and always will be,” his father told Sunrise, a morning talk show in Australia.

“He was taken away from us so suddenly. All that talent and energy, and the great things he did pale in significance when someone is no longer here,” the father-of-three explained.  “Everyone admired Heath for his work, he was very dedicated to every project he did.”

His dedication and passion may have been a trait he inherited from his father, who is now devoted to bringing awareness to prevent overdoses — so other families don’t have to experience the trauma he and his family went through.

“It doesn’t matter who you are,” he explained.  “We are all facing some finality… You just don’t want it to happen earlier than it should.”

Kim Ledger Remembers Heath

Brokies Gathering in Arizona!!

Celebrating its sixth year in 2015, The Loft Film Fest (located in beautiful Tucson, Arizona) is dedicated to showcasing the best independent, foreign and classic films, as well as celebrating the work of established and emerging directors, writers, producers and actors. The Loft Film Fest, through its eclectic and diverse programming, aims not only to expand the audience for cinema that challenges, inspires and entertains, but also to honor those artists whose talent and passion bring that cinema to life.

Described by Filmmaker Magazine as being “geared truly toward cinephiles of nearly every stripe,” and praised for its “phantasmagorical programming … and astute choice of guests,” The Loft Film Fest was created in 2010 as a showcase for the very best independent, foreign and classic cinema. For five days in October, The Loft Film Fest provides an intimate and unique setting for film fans to experience hand-selected festival favorites from Cannes, Sundance, SXSW, etc., and to meet internationally-renowned artists from the world of independent cinema.

According to their Facebook page (and posted by BayCityJohn) this year's event (October 21-25) will feature both Diana Osanna and Lary McMurtry, commemorating the 10th anniversary of Brokeback Mountain.

***We are now up to 21 definites, and 14 maybes for a list of attendees***
Brokies Gathering in Arizona!!!!

University of Wyoming & Out West

The American Heritage Center (AHC) at the University of Wyoming, which houses several significant collections related to slain UW student Matthew Shepard, is currently developing “Out West in the Rockies,” a first-of-its-kind regional lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) history and culture archive of the American West.

The archive will welcome collections from eight Rocky Mountain states: Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, New Mexico, Idaho, Utah, Nevada and Arizona.

Retiring AHC Director Mark Greene helped inaugurate and Associate Director Rick Ewig will oversee this effort. Gregory Hinton, creator of Out West, an acclaimed national LGBT western museum program series, introduced the concept to the AHC and serves as project consultant. Hinton announced Out West in the Rockies at the LGBQT Alliance luncheon during the recent American Alliance of Museums annual meeting and museum expo in Atlanta.

Through BayCityJohn, Gregory Hinton has reached out to the fourm, to get the word out, and ask for any help that members would be willing to give him.

From Gregory Hinton

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum.

Today's edition by KillersMom, CellarDweller115

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to CellarDweller115.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 09:10:44 PM by killersmom »
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: The Daily Sheet September - December 2015
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 08:24:50 PM »

Tuesday, September 8th, 2015

**Update**  Changes for DCF

Only one week after our initial posts abut the upcoming changes for the Dave Cullen Forum went up, we already have updates to inform you about.

Please see the links below to read the latest posts regarding downtime during the forum back-up, downtime for the migration to the new server,  the estimated cost for the migration, and the new, less expensive monthly fee the forum will be paying.

We'll also have details regarding how payments/donations can be made.

Le Bar Slash

The Diner

Fan Fair

Dave Cullen's Article for New Republic

DCF administrator Dave Cullen has written another article that was published online.

This piece, written for NewRepublic.com, starts off discussing Vester Flanagan.  Vester was fired from a TV station, and then went back and killed two former coworkers (TV journalists) while they were on air, live in Virginia.

In the article, Dave describes Vester as an "Injustice Collector", meaning he mentally tallies up injustices in his head, whether real or imagined, that he feels he's had to suffer through, and then when he 'snaps', he seeks revenger for the injustices.

Dave's article touches on Vester, the Columbine shootings, the Virginia Tech shootings.

Interesting and informative, the article sheds light on those who commit these types of acts.

Dave Cullen's Article for New Republic

2014 National Humanities Medalist - Larry McMurtry

“I don’t remember either of my parents ever reading me a story—perhaps that’s why I’ve made up so many,” wrote Larry McMurtry in his first memoir, Books.  By his own count, he is author of 50 works, including the Pulitzer Prize-winning Lonesome Dove and many other novels, but also an Oscar-winning screenplay, three memoirs, a short biography of Crazy Horse, and a collection of essays.

In a telephone interview, he avoided making any pronouncements about the state of the humanities, maintaining, “I don’t myself theorize,” adding, however, that he’s “saddened by what’s being lost,” as people read more devices and fewer books.

Larry McMurtry was born in 1936 on a ranch outside of Archer City, Texas. His first library was a set of 19 books given to him by a cousin setting off for war in 1942. McMurtry read and reread the adventure novels. The gift, he once wrote, “changed my life.”

Among other books McMurtry remembers reading as a child was an abbreviated version of Don Quixote. Looking back, he recalls pondering “the grave differences (comically set) between Sancho and the Don. Between the two is where fiction, as I have mostly read and written it, lives.”

2014 National Humanities Medalist - Larry McMurtry

Steve Grand Accepts Marine's Invitation

US Marine Sgt. Tanner White figured her had nothing to lose when he made a YouTube video asking the singer Steve Grand to be his date to the Marine Corps Ball.  On Thursday (3 September), Grand gave his answer: Yes!

A smiling Grand replied, via YouTube video of course, that he would be ‘honored to accept’ the invitation to the event in November that will take place in Wlimington, North Carolina.

‘Thank you so much for your service to this country and I look forward to a really fun evening with you in November. See you soon buddy.’

White’s video asking Grand has now been viewed more than 54,000 times over the past two days.

UPDATE: White made another quick video to thank everyone for their support and said: ‘I’d like to thank Steve Grand for accepting my invitation to the ball. I’m very excited and I’m looking forward to a great time.’

Steve Grand Accepts Marine's Invitation

Christopher Ciccone Defends Jailed Kentucky County Clerk

Christopher Ciccone is an American artist, music concert and video director, dancer, author, and interior and furniture designer. He is the youngest brother of Madonna, and began his career working as her backup dancer, appearing in Madonna's early music videos, "Everybody" and "Lucky Star".  He later decorated Madonna's former residences in New York City, Los Angeles, and Miami.  He has also designed the stage for her 1990 Blond Ambition concert tour, and directed her 1993 Girlie Show concert tour.  His work with other artists includes directing the "Peace Train" music video for Dolly Parton in May 1997, and Tony Bennett's Billboard award-winning music video of "God Bless the Child."  He later (2008) wrote a tell-all memoir, Life With My Sister Madonna, which caused a rift between the two, which is now just beginning to heal.

Recently, he has spoken up to defend the Kentucky county clerk who declined to issue marriage certificates to same-sex couples.  The 54-year-old artist and director, who is openly gay, wrote in a Facebook post that Kim Davis, currently being jailed for contempt of court, should be allowed not to issue the licenses, given her constitutional ‘religious freedom’.

‘The county clerk in [Kentucky] deserves about as much support as you would give her if she were a muslim [woman] who insisted on covering her face and refused not only gay marriages licenses, but divorce, accusations of rape and driving a car without [your] mans approval,’ Ciccone wrote.

He believed the civil servant had grounds not to follow the law, ‘when DOJ and other civil authorities don’t follow federal law when they choose not to, i.e. Washington State and Colorado (POT) come to mind…or the abstract notion of “sanctuary cities.” I always thought that sanctuary was the province of churches.’

He went on to criticize the gay community for feeling ‘the need to be sore winners. Is it so difficult to allow this women her religion?…or must we destroy her in order for here to betray her faith.’

Christopher Ciccone Defends Jailed Kentucky County Clerk

Gareth Thomas on Turning To His Teammates

He's one of Wales' most famous sporting heroes... and now Gareth Thomas has opened up on the hardest challenge he faced in rugby's limelight.  The former full-back, who won 100 caps for Wales in a colourful career which took in spells in both codes, has starred in a new video for northern hemisphere rugby sponsors Guinness.  In the Guinness video, Thomas reveals the support of his team-mates was vital in allowing him to conquer 'the demons that were tearing him apart' and accept the fact he is gay.

In the video, Thomas reflects on his time in rugby and says his greatest fear wasn't the opposition he faced, the bones he broke or the tension which gripped him but the nervousness he felt about his sexuality.  Thomas came out as gay in 2009 and the following year, the former Bridgend, Cardiff, Celtic Warriors, Toulouse and Cardiff Blues back was voted the most influential gay person in the UK.

In the video entitled 'Never Alone', he refers to “the demons that were tearing him apart” as he struggled to feel comfortable in revealing his sexuality.  He reveals how the support of his rugby team-mates saw him learn to accept the person he truly is.  Thomas finally came out to former Wales stars Stephen Jones and Martyn Williams while on Wales duty in 2006 before going public in 2009.

Gareth Thomas on Turning To His Teammates

‘Anti-gay’ Singer Takes Top Prize at Eurovision 2015

MÃ¥ns Zelmerlöw is the winner of this year’s 60th Eurovision Song Contest.  The singer from Sweden took top prize with his performance of Heroes.

Last year the 28-year-old found himself in hot water after saying LGBTI couples should not be parents.  According to The Independent, he maintained it ‘isn’t equally natural for men to want to sleep with one another.’  He then called same-sex sexuality an ‘avvikelse’ (abnormality).  Zelmerlöw added, however, ‘there isn’t anything wrong with it at all.’

He eventually released a statement, apologizing for his remarks.  ‘I believe and hope that the vast majority know that I respect differences and all forms of love,’ the singer said, according to The Independent.

Supporters defend him, claiming he mean abnormal in the statistical sense and that the show on which he made the comments in March 2014 is one where celebrities drink and have dinner and it may have been the alcohol which made him stumble on his words.

He subsequently is reported to have worked with LGBTI organizations in Sweden which may indicate a change of heart. Others say he has always been a ‘straight ally’.

His Eurovision acceptance speech indicates that is so. ‘I have so much to say… I’m so extremely happy,’ he said as he accepted the award, according to the BBC.  ‘We are all heroes, no matter who we love, who we are or what we believe in.’

‘Anti-gay’ Singer Takes Top Prize at Eurovision 2015

Ang Lee Trilogy Review

Commonly referred to as the 'Father Knows Best Trilogy', Ang Lee's first three films are notable primarily as an introduction to key themes and his devotion to nuanced emotional drama. They also staved off the retirement of famous Taiwanese actor Sihung Lung. Almost a decade before his appearance as Sir Te in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000) he was convinced to shed his tough-guy image in favour of the serenely charming Mr. Chu in Lee's debut feature, Pushing Hands (1992). Altitude Distribution are now bringing that film and subsequent Lee/Lung collaborations The Wedding Banquet (1993) and Eat Drink Man Woman (1993) to UK DVD in The Ang Lee Trilogy box set.

In all three films Lung played the ageing patriarch coming to terms, in one way or other, with the maturation of his brood. In Pushing Hands he is a veteran Tai Chi master forced to emigrate to the United States to live his twilight years in the home of his son and American daughter-in-law (Bo Z. Wang and Deb Snyder). He once again follows a son to the US in The Wedding Banquet, though on this occasion his offspring (this time played by Winston Chao) is attempting to conceal his gay relationship with Simon (Mitchell Lichtenstein) by faking a marriage to his tenant Wei-Wei (May Chin). Finally in Eat Drink Man Woman he is a father struggling with his own age and three vastly different adult daughters (Yu-Wen Wang, Chien-Lien Wu, Kuei-Mei Yang). All three films are fairly limited in their scope - especially when compared to the rich mastery of Lee's more recent output from the sumptuous Lust, Caution (2007) to the roiling narrative currents of Life of Pi (2012).

Ang Lee Trilogy Review

Celebrating its sixth year in 2015, The Loft Film Fest (located in beautiful Tucson, Arizona) is dedicated to showcasing the best independent, foreign and classic films, as well as celebrating the work of established and emerging directors, writers, producers and actors. The Loft Film Fest, through its eclectic and diverse programming, aims not only to expand the audience for cinema that challenges, inspires and entertains, but also to honor those artists whose talent and passion bring that cinema to life.

Described by Filmmaker Magazine as being “geared truly toward cinephiles of nearly every stripe,” and praised for its “phantasmagorical programming … and astute choice of guests,” The Loft Film Fest was created in 2010 as a showcase for the very best independent, foreign and classic cinema. For five days in October, The Loft Film Fest provides an intimate and unique setting for film fans to experience hand-selected festival favorites from Cannes, Sundance, SXSW, etc., and to meet internationally-renowned artists from the world of independent cinema.

According to their Facebook page (and posted by BayCityJohn) this year's event (October 21-25) will feature both Diana Osanna and Lary McMurtry, commemorating the 10th anniversary of Brokeback Mountain.

***We are now up to 22 definites, and 9 maybes for a list of attendees***

The American Heritage Center (AHC) at the University of Wyoming, which houses several significant collections related to slain UW student Matthew Shepard, is currently developing “Out West in the Rockies,” a first-of-its-kind regional lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) history and culture archive of the American West.

The archive will welcome collections from eight Rocky Mountain states: Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, New Mexico, Idaho, Utah, Nevada and Arizona.

Retiring AHC Director Mark Greene helped inaugurate and Associate Director Rick Ewig will oversee this effort. Gregory Hinton, creator of Out West, an acclaimed national LGBT western museum program series, introduced the concept to the AHC and serves as project consultant. Hinton announced Out West in the Rockies at the LGBQT Alliance luncheon during the recent American Alliance of Museums annual meeting and museum expo in Atlanta.

Through BayCityJohn, Gregory Hinton has reached out to the fourm, to get the word out, and ask for any help that members would be willing to give him.

From Gregory Hinton

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum.

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.

The Daily Sheet Archives
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 08:05:10 PM »

Tuesday, September 15th, 2015

Changes for DCF

Please see the links below to read the latest posts regarding downtime during the forum back-up, downtime for the migration to the new server,  the estimated cost for the migration, and the new, less expensive monthly fee the forum will be paying.

Le Bar Slash

The Diner

Fan Fair

Dramatic Change in How America Feels About Gay Marriage

America has pretty much chilled out about gay marriage. That, at least, is what our Google searches seem to say.

The folks at Google's NewsLab gave us the most popular gay marriage-related search terms in the country, going back to 2004. They offer a fascinating window into the evolution of American attitudes toward same-sex marriage.

In the mid-2000s, people were mostly searching for arguments against gay marriage. That pattern held until 2008, the year that California voters passed Proposition 8, which repealed the right of same-sex marriage in that state. After that, people became more likely to search for neutral terms, like "gay marriage states" -- presumably looking for information on which states allowed or didn't allow same-sex marriage.

Finally, in 2013 the term "marriage equality" topped the searches for the first time. That's been the top term this year so far as well. These search terms highlight the striking shift in public opinion on the issue -- from "against gay marriage" to "marriage equality" in just six years.

Dramatic Change in How America Feels About Gay Marriage

17th Transgender Woman Killed in The US

After years of struggling with her gender identity, 35-year-old Kandis Capri, a transgender Phoenix woman, was finally getting her life together.

She had resumed attending church and was enrolled in classes at South Mountain Community College, intent on studying theology. And for the first time in years, Capri was living comfortably as a woman.

But Capri’s aspirations and life were snuffed out on August 11, when she was discovered shot and bleeding outside an apartment complex near 45th Avenue and Thomas Road. She later died at a hospital.  Capri's death made her the 17th transgender person killed in the United States this year alone, according to the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs. Since her death, two more transgender homicides have escalated that total to 19, mostly women of color, like Capri.

With Capri’s killer on the loose and few viable leads, her family has publicly called for the case to be investigated by the Department of Justice as a hate crime.

“I just want justice for my child,” Capri's mother, Adria Gaines, tells New Times. “She did not deserve to be murdered. She was a loving, kind soul.”

17th Transgender Woman Killed in The US

Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis Says She Won't Stop Deputies

Kim Davis, the Kentucky county clerk who was jailed for refusing to issue marriage licenses to gay couples because of a religious objection, returned to work Monday and said she was being forced to choose between "my conscience or my freedom."   But she said she would not stand in the way of her deputy clerks, who had begun issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples in her absence. And a couple from Lexington, Shannon and Carmen Wampler-Collins, walked away with their official papers.

Their license had Davis' name removed and the words "pursuant to federal court order" added to it. She questioned the validity of licenses issued without her authority, but the governor and the county attorney have said that licenses issued to gay couples by the deputies will be valid.

"My license is valid, and it's valid because of the court order that's in effect," Shannon Wampler-Collins told NBC News outside the clerk's office in the city of Morehead. "It doesn't have to have her signature."     Carmen Wampler-Collins said: "It's a big moment for us personally, so we're just really happy."

Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis Says She Won't Stop Deputies

Florida Pastor Criticizes Kim Davis

Kim Davis might think she has the Lord on her side – but one pastor disagrees.  Pastor Russell Williams of McCormick Road Baptist Church, Florida, wrote a scathing breakdown of Kim Davis’ case last week.  In his Facebook post Williams’ states Davis should quit her job and God would take care of her. He notes her four marriages suggest she doesn’t take her faith too seriously.

He goes on to say she may be just using the church to cash in when she’s invited to speak to southern churches about: ‘How the evil American government put her in jail because of her faith in Jesus.’  Williams’ is a pastor of a Baptist Church, an evangelical movement within Christianity with about 16 million adherents in the US, and Davis is Apostolic Christian. Both churches take a literal view of the Bible.

His post goes on to suggest ‘self-righteous’ martyring by Christians is what causes evangelicals to develop such a bad name in the US.  In a plea to fellow Christians, he asks: ‘If we want sanctity of marriage then stop cheating, stop having affairs, stop looking at porn, stop getting divorces.

‘That is the way for the church to stand up for the biblical definition of marriage, not by someone martyring their self-righteous self.’

The post has had more than 125,000 shares on Facebook, with commenters praising Williams’ ‘wise’ council.

Florida Pastor Criticizes Kim Davis

Student Suspended For “Lesbian” Shirt

“Nobody knows I’m a lesbian.” Those are the words on a Chesnee High School student’s shirt that she said got her suspended from school.

“You need to change your shirt or go home,” said Briana Popour.  That was the option Popour said she was given last week when the openly gay high school senior wore the boldly printed t-shirt to class.  “I’ve worn this shirt before and nobody’s ever said anything,” said Popour.  Until now, that is. Popour said she was pulled out of class into the front office and told her shirt was disruptive. She said that’s news to her and there’s nothing against displaying sexual orientation in the dress code handbook.

“When I said something to him about the handbook, he said “well, not everything is in the handbook,” said Popour.

“He” is a high ranking administrator with Chesnee High. This week, we reached out to him, the school and the school district superintendent hoping to get some questions answered.  They didn’t call us back, but the district sent us an email saying the shirt was “offensive and distracting” with links to the dress code policy. It says, “Clothing deemed distracting, revealing, overly suggestive or otherwise disruptive will not be permitted.”

Student Suspended For “Lesbian” Shirt

Demi Lovato Hints at Being Bisexual

Demi Lovato has dropped a massive hint about the one thing in her life she has remained schtum about – her sexuality.  The singer has publicly battled depression, self-harming and eating disorders, but there was one area of her life she hadn’t much discussed.

The "Cool For The Summer" singer appeared on Alan Carr’s show Chatty Man to talk about her new album Confident and the new single, where she gave an insight into her sexual past.  In the song she sings about being ‘curious’ and about being judged for whatever she and the subject of her song are up to.

Alan asked: ‘Lesbianism. Can you confirm or deny that [the song is] about lesbianism?’  Demi responded: ‘I’m not confirming or denying anything.’   Then she went on to add: ‘All of my songs are based off of personal experiences. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with experimentation at all.’  And if that wasn’t enough of a hint, when Alan remarked, ‘Trouble is I experimented once and it stuck’, Demi replied: ‘Hey, I didn’t say it didn’t stick either.’

Demi Lovato Hints at Being Bisexual

Pa Twist in Hit Movie

Brokies know Peter McRobbie as "Pa Twist" from Brokeback Mountain

McRobbie is once again on movie screens across America, this time playing "Pop Pop" in the latest comedy-horror movie written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan, The Visit.

In The Visit, Rebecca (Olivia DeJonge) and Tyler (Ed Oxenbould) prepare for a stay with their grandparents (John & Doris), whom they've never met, while their single mother goes on a cruise.    John (Pop Pop) and Doris (Nana) greet the kids at the train station, and bring them back to their house.  They tell the kids to stay out of the basement (it has toxic mold) and that bedtime is 9:30pm.

Tyler decides to make a film for his mother, and starts to record the visit, but soon Pop Pop and Nana start to behave strangely, and the behavior only increases as the visit goes on.

Click the link below to view the trailer.

Official Trailer -  The Visit

***We are now up to 24 definites, and 8 maybes for a list of attendees***

Brokies Gathering in London??

Hello Brokies!

The Tucson event is just around the corner, but a possible, new event is shaping up.

It turns out there is a stage adaptation of Brokeback in the works, looking to be performed in London in June of 2016.

No real plans have been formed for a London gathering for this event, however, a thread has been started, and if you are interested in joining Brokies in London, read the thread!

Brokeback Play - London Gathering??

From Gregory Hinton

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 09:44:59 PM »

Tuesday, September 22nd, 2015

Changes for DCF

Le Bar Slash

The Diner

Fan Fair

Obama's Guest List Shows 'Contempt for Catholics'

President Barack Obama is exploiting Catholics by inviting guest who are opposed to church doctrine to the White House to meet Pope Francis next week, Catholic League President Bill Donohue said Saturday.   "Every time a Jewish or Muslim leader is invited to the White House, properly, they have Jews and Muslims and others who are respectful of the leader," Donohue told Michael Smerconish on CNN. "Only Catholics are exploited this way by this president."

He asked why weren’t such groups invited as the Sisters of Life, a New York-based order that helps women facing abortion issues, and the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist, founded in 1997.   "The loyal nuns are not there,"  Donohue said. "It's one thing to be welcoming and to be inclusive. It's quite another to bring in people who are opposed publicly to the teachings of the Catholic Church."

The Vatican expressed concerns this week at some of the guests President Obama invited to meet the Holy See during a welcoming ceremony on the South Lawn of the White House on Thursday.

The guests include transgender activists Mateo Williamson and Vivian Taylor, the first openly gay Episcopal bishop, Bishop Gene Robinson and Sister Simone Campbell, an activist nun who leads a group criticized by the Vatican for its silence on abortion and euthanasia.

Obama's Guest List Shows 'Contempt for Catholics'

29 Songs About Bisexuality

With so many pop stars open about their bisexuality, it's no surprise there are plenty of songs about being attracted to both men and women.

LGBT artists have long explored, celebrated, and sometimes lamented what it's like to be bisexual in their music. Straight artists have also gotten in on the fun, writing about bisexuality from their own perspectives, which sometimes means writing songs about loving bisexual mates.

Let's face it, bisexuality makes for great pop. Here are 29 tracks that get it.

29 Songs About Bisexuality

Kim Davis Erotic Story

Just when we thought we'd seen it all when it comes to Kentucky county clerk Kim Davis, here's something we really didn't expect. 

Author Lilith St. Augustine has penned an erotic fiction novella loosely based on Davis's headline-making case. Billed as "bitingly satirical, unexpectedly funny and unabashedly sexy," Kim Goes To Jail: An Erotic Story centers on a homophobic, small town woman who, not unlike the real-life Davis, finds herself in jail following a "dispute over religion and sexuality," according to a press release. Once incarcerated, the fictitious Kim meets a "beautiful cellmate" who is "only too eager to acclimate" the titular character to her new reality.   

"One day I’m standin’ on the side of the Lord against sexual perversion, and the next I’m in prison orange watchin’ a buck nekkid mulatto vixen ‘bout to do impure things to herself and to my soul in one single, terrifyin’ act," one of the book's more-SFW passages reads. In another: "She was strokin’ my thigh and makin’ her way for the promised land, so I slipped my other hand under the table and kinda put it in her way ‘tween my legs just under home base."

St. Augustine told The Huffington Post in an interview that she sees the novella, which is available as a Kindle eBook, as an "opportunity to poke fun at [people who use religion to deny others their rights]" while also "giving readers satisfaction not only in the typical erotica sense but also of seeing a character do some things that, in the real world, would obviously be anathema to the kinds of people we're talking about."

Kim Davis Erotic Story

Scott Davis Leaves Race

Warning that the Republican presidential race has become too nasty, Scott Walker exited the 2016 campaign on Monday and urged others to quit, too, and "clear the field" so someone can emerge to take down front-runner Donald Trump.

The announcement marked a dramatic fall for Walker, who was struggling to generate money and enthusiasm after surging into the race's top tier earlier in the year. He will return to his job as governor of Wisconsin, where his term runs through 2018.

"Today, I believe that I am being called to lead by helping to clear the field in this race so that a positive conservative message can rise to the top," Walker said in a news conference. "I encourage other Republican presidential candidates to consider doing the same so the voters can focus on a limited number of candidates who can offer a positive conservative alternative to the current front-runner."

Scott Davis Leaves Race

Heath Ledger's Twin Nieces Make Their Runway Debut at Perth Fashion Festival

Heath Ledger’s nieces have made their runway debut at Perth Fashion Festival.

The 11-year-old identical twins, Rorie and Scarlett, stole the show as they made their big debut as posy-carrying bridesmaids in the Empire Rose finale on Thursday.

Bearing a striking resemble to their late actor uncle, Heath Ledge, the smiling pair looked calm and confident as they made their way down the catwalk at Fashion Paramount at the Perth Concert Hall.

The daughters of Heath’s sister Kate and her husband Nathan, hit the stage with ease as they donned custom-made white tulle skirt, red brocade jackets and white boots.  With their cherubic faces framed by wild curls, the duo’s look was completed with a small bouquets of flowers.

They marched down the runway with two non-identical models who sported pieces from the collection which included brocades, embroidery and lace mixed with sequined bracelets, baggy trousers and tie shirts.

Hello Brokies!

The Tucson event is just around the corner, but a possible, new event is shaping up.

It turns out there is a stage adaptation of Brokeback in the works, looking to be performed in London in June of 2016.

No real plans have been formed for a London gathering for this event, however, a thread has been started, and if you are interested in joining Brokies in London, read the thread!

From Gregory Hinton

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: BayCityJohn, KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 07:07:07 PM »

Sunday, September 27th, 2015

Update for DC Forum

Yes, TDS is being published early this week.

The most recent update for the shut down, back-up, and update has been posted.   So has information regarding making donations.

Click the link the link below to see the most up-to-date information.

Respond To The Daily Sheet

Dave Cullen in Vanity Fair, Discussing Lucia Berlin

This is the opening from Dave Cullen's article on Lucia Berlin, an American short story writer.  She had a small, devoted following, but did not reach a mass audience during her lifetime. She rose to sudden literary fame eleven years after her death

Eleven years after her death, Lucia Berlin has become a literary sensation. Her story collection A Manual for Cleaning Women hit the New York Times best-seller list last week, amid accolades heralding her as a lost “genius.” Even as her health began to collapse, 20 years ago, Lucia was instilling that genius in a younger cadre of writers including me. She has been the guiding force in my work, and my life, long after she died.

Lucia and I entered a creative-writing program the same day. Boulder, 1994. Beautiful, sanitized, very white. She was 58, me 33. Teacher, grad student; University of Colorado. She shook her head when I walked in. “Oh, you’re going to be trouble.”

I tried to look invisible. How did she know? But then I noticed she was smiling, almost giddy.

Dave will be speaking at the only Lucia Berlin event in NYC this week.  If you want to attend, it is at 7:00pm on Wednesday (9/30) at McNally Jackson Books,  52 Prince St, New York, New York 10012. 212.274.1160

Dave Cullen in Vanity Fair, Discussing Lucia Berlin

Dave's Event in NYC

Huckabee, Religious Right, and Doritos

Doritos is gay now.  Last week, Frito-Lay (the snack food and chip division of PepsiCo) unveiled a limited edition bag of Doritos Rainbows, to celebrate gay pride and raise money for LGBT youth. The Rainbows were mailed to anyone who donated at least $10 to It Gets Better, gay-rights activist Dan Savage’s nonprofit.

The pro-gay tortilla chips quickly sold out, and Doritos (a sponsor of the upcoming pride parade in Dallas on September 20) asked their followers to show their support for the LGBT community using the hashtag “#BOLDANDBETTER.”

PepsiCo has been voicing corporate support for gay rights for years, and many of their products, including Doritos, are on the Human Rights Campaign’s buyer’s guide. Still, this latest, rather innocuous development triggered the religious-right outrage machine powered by the usual suspects.

“The latest assault on Christian values comes from a company you’d never guess,” wrote One Million Moms director Monica Cole, who apparently knows nothing about the company. “Not only is Frito-Lay promoting homosexuality among teens, but it is backing the agenda of [Dan Savage,] one of the most anti-Christian bullies in America…Contact Frito-Lay and urge them to drop its promotion of anti-Christian bigotry.”

Huckabee, Religious Right, and Doritos

Gay Activists on Stonewall Film

In 1969, the Stonewall riot in New York sparked the birth of the mainstream gay rights movement.  Roland Emmerich’s big-screen depiction of the event has, so far, sparked only controversy.  A trailer for the film released last month worried many with what appeared to be a “whitewashed” take on a diverse group of people. Activists highlighted the important role played by transgender black woman Marsha P Johnson (who appears briefly in the trailer and plays a minor role in the film) and called for a boycott.

The controversy has only intensified since the film premiered earlier this month at the Toronto film festival, with reviewers surprised by the focus on a fictional white character, Danny (Jeremy Irvine), and the lack of airtime devoted to the riots themselves. Danny is shown struggling with his sexuality in smalltown Indiana before moving to Greenwich Village.

There, he encounters a crowd he feels at home with, including an androgynous character, Ray (Jonny Beauchamp), who falls in love with our hero. Jonathan Rhys Meyers features as Trevor, a representative from the real-life Mattachine Society – one of the earliest gay rights bodies formed in the US, who were criticized after the riots for not being confrontational enough – and Danny’s love interest.

Gay Activists on Stonewall Film

Caitlyn Jenner Gets Legal Name & Gender Change

Caitlyn Jenner has successfully changed her gender in the eyes of the law. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Gerald Rosenberg approved Jenner’s petition to legally change her gender and name on Friday.

Jenner, who was not in attendance at the hearing, announced she would transition in an interview with Diane Sawyer. She then revealed her name change –- from William Bruce to Caitlyn — in Vanity Fair magazine, where she appeared on the cover.

Jenner’s transition gained widespread publicity and media coverage and has drawn attention to the struggle faced by many in the transgender community. Now that Jenner’s transition has been officially recognized she can apply for government documents that bear her new name. But while getting the ability to change the name on her driver’s license seems to have gone smoothly for her, many in the transgender community face daunting discrimination when trying to achieve the same feat.

Caitlyn Jenner Gets Legal Name & Gender Change

Heath Ledger’s nieces have made their runway debut at Perth Fashion Festival.

The 11-year-old identical twins, Rorie and Scarlett, stole the show as they made their big debut as posy-carrying bridesmaids in the Empire Rose finale on Thursday.

Bearing a striking resemble to their late actor uncle, Heath Ledge, the smiling pair looked calm and confident as they made their way down the catwalk at Fashion Paramount at the Perth Concert Hall.

The daughters of Heath’s sister Kate and her husband Nathan, hit the stage with ease as they donned custom-made white tulle skirt, red brocade jackets and white boots.  With their cherubic faces framed by wild curls, the duo’s look was completed with a small bouquets of flowers.

They marched down the runway with two non-identical models who sported pieces from the collection which included brocades, embroidery and lace mixed with sequined bracelets, baggy trousers and tie shirts.

Hello Brokies!

From Gregory Hinton

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 10:57:05 PM »

Tuesday, October 6th, 2015

So, How Do I Donate?

As you now know, the back-up and update of DCF went pretty smoothly.   There was the occasional 'bump' here and there, but things are pretty much OK.

The next step is migration, and paying for those three steps, as well as the monthly fee.   A number of people have already asked about making donations, so here is the information I have.

At the bottom of the page is a box that says "Donate Via Paypal".  DO NOT USE THAT BUTTON.  If you do, funds will go to an inactive account, and we will have to work with PayPal to get your funds back.  What you should do is go to PayPal.com.  Once there, you'll see an icon of a monetary bill that says "pay or send money".  If you click that, you'll see the option "Send Money to Friends or Family".  Click that.  You'll then be taken to an page that asks for an email address and amount.  Enter the email address that matches my username here.  CellarDweller115@yahoo.com.  Then the amount you want to send, and click "next".  You'll then get a screen that says:  Send CellarDweller115@yahoo.com $X.XX, and click "Send".  Once it's processed, you'll get a screen that says "you sent $X.XX to CellarDweller115@Yahoo.com"

Another option is to mail a check to me personally.  If you choose that option (others already have) just send me a PM and I'll gladly give you my mailing address.

More News On Counting For Thunder

Counting For Thunder, the film that is making its way through the film festival circuit, and winning awards, is once again featured in TDS.  This film, the work of DCF members Philip Irwin Cooper and Ellen Raff, continues to get attention.  Read the excerpts below, taken directly from the Facebook page for the movie.

Hi everyone!

We are so very pleased to announce that Counting For Thunder is screening at Lone Star Film Festival November 5-8! One of only 37 features chosen alongside such films as Carol with Cate Blanchette, Mojave with Mark Wahlberg, The Benefactor with Richard Gere and Dakota Fanning, The Adderall Diaries with James Franco, Tumbledown with Joe Mangianello and Rebecca Hall, Meadowland with Luke Wilson and Elizabeth Moss, and Charlie Kaufman’s new film Anomalisa, we think maybe we’re in good company! So all our friends in and around Texas, come on out! And stay tuned for a list of guests along with screening times. Yee-haw!

For all of you patient folk who have repeatedly asked, stay tuned for an announcement very soon about an upcoming screening in Alabama. Counting For Thunder is coming home!

Facebook Page for Counting For Thunder

The Pope, Kim Davis, and The Drama

When Pope Francis finished his trip to the US and began to head back to Rome, people in general were talking about the positive things that were done.  Soon, however, the positivity began to disappear and negativity started to grow.

As soon as Pope Francis' plane was off the ground, Kim Davis and her 'people' began to tell stories that she had an audience with the Pope.  Kim Davis was in the spotlight for refusing to issue marriage licenses to gay couples because it was against her religion, and ended up in jail for that decision.   She claimed that the Pope had given her a set of rosary beads and told her to 'stay strong'.

At first the Vatican would neither confirm nor deny the meeting took place.  Then they did confirm the meeting took place, however, the Vatican is now stating that not only was there no private audience, that Pope Francis didn't even know who Kim Davis was, as she was just part of a line-up of people that he greeted.  They also state that the meeting does not mean the Pope supports Davis' actions.

The Pope, Kim Davis, and The Drama

Hillary Clinton Focuses on Transgender Rights

In a forceful speech to an influential gay rights group, Hillary Rodham Clinton on Saturday reaffirmed her support for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender Americans just hours before Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr., contemplating his own presidential run, was to address the organization.

“I see the injustices and dangers that you and your family still face,” Mrs. Clinton told the gathering of members of the Human Rights Campaign. “I am running for president to end them once and for all.”

Mrs. Clinton emphasized transgender rights, including urging the military to reverse its policy and allow transgender Americans to serve in the armed forces. Having the world’s strongest military, she said, “doesn’t just mean having the best-trained forces or the biggest arsenal.”

“It means,” she added, “being a leader on issues like this.”

The speech allowed Mrs. Clinton to address a Democratic primary constituency that will be critical to her 2016 campaign and one that Mr. Biden would also aggressively court should he enter the race. He was to address the group Saturday evening.

Hillary Clinton Focuses on Transgender Rights

Lesbian Couple Arrested for Hugging

Two women arrested ‘for being a lesbian couple’ in Indonesia are being made to undergo ‘rehabilitation’.  Human rights campaigners have raised concerns for the women’s safety, as it’s unclear what the ‘rehabilitation’ will entail.

The couple, aged 18 and 19 and known only by their initials AS and N, were detained in the country’s Sharia-controlled Aceh province after they were seen hugging.  However, Sharia police chief Evendi Latief said the two haven’t been charged with a criminal offence.

Any person found guilty of ‘sodomy or lesbianism’ could face 100 cane lashes, a fine of 1,000 grams of fine gold, or almost eight and a half years in prison, according to laws that came into force in September 2014.

‘The arrest of two women in Aceh for everyday behaviour is an outrageous abuse of police power that should be considered a threat to all Indonesians,’ Graeme Reid, the LGBT rights programme director at Human Rights Watch, said.  ‘The Indonesian government needs to press Aceh to repeal its discriminatory new by-laws.’

Lesbian Couple Arrested for Hugging

I Don't Call Myself Bisexual

Alicia Eler is an art critic, culture journalist and writer. Her coverage of selfie culture has been featured in New York Magazine, the Washington Post, Gigaom and Colorlines. Her fiction writing is published in Illuminati Girl Gang and Projecttile Lit. A regular contributor to Hyperallergic, her writing also appears in Art21, Artforum, Art Papers, KCET Artbound Los Angeles, Raw Vision Magazine, Salon, and Time Out Chicago.  In a recently published piece, she also discusses her bisexuality.

I’ve always felt attracted to both men and women, but usually not at the same time. One day it’s more dude-focused and then it’s back to women, but it always feels fluid. This has nothing to do with my ability to be in a committed relationship with one person. Actually, open or poly relationships have never worked for me, and I’ve mostly been in relationships with women.

I came out as bisexual to my mom at the age of 15. Back then, the terms homoromantic, one who dates mostly the same sex, an heteroromantic, one who dates mostly the opposite sex, weren’t around.

I Don't Call Myself Bisexual

Kate Mara Hears More Than Expected

Kate Mara had to get a little too intimate with Matt Damon during the filming of their latest movie The Martian.

The 32-year-old actress is currently starring in the film about astronaut Mark Watney [Damon] who finds himself stranded on Mars after a manned mission goes awry.

Mara while appearing on Jimmy Kimmel Live on Thursday night described wearing a gigantic space suit for much of the filming.

'It was a little uncomfortable physically…because those suits are heavy, and my suit weighed the same as Matt's…but I'm five-two,' complained the petite star.  Their interstellar outfits included huge helmets, which had been installed with microphones on the inside.

'Can you hear each other in those things?' asked Kimmel, 47.  'That's all we can hear. It's torture,' she replied. 'Just each other, so if you go and get a coffee or go and have a pee you can hear it,' she giggled. 'So whoever is taking a s*** right now could they please, quiet down,' she laughed.

Kate Mara Hears More Than Expected

Hello Brokies!

From Gregory Hinton

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 09:13:24 PM »

Tuesday, October 20th, 2015

*Note to all TDS readers - With myself and Linda attending the gathering in Tucson this coming weekend, there will be no one to work on TDS, so it will be "on vacation" next week.*

The Elusive Search Button

DCF members know that the Search function here was not working, and attempts to use it would make the forum crash. 

We're happy to let you know that we have just restored the search facility for all users.  You'll notice that there are two ways you can search the forum....there is a search box at the top right of the forum and a search menu button in your menu items on the left.

The simple search at the top right is best used when you are in a particular board or thread; anything you search for using that option will only search you current location within the thread tree and items below it, e.g. if you were in “The Impact on Society and Ourselves” board and used the “simple search” it would only search for matching items on that board and the threads contained within.

The search button on your menu gives you more control on what to search for, where, when and who to search for.

Bernie Sanders Redirects Donation

Turing Pharmaceuticals CEO Martin Shkreli, who made national headlines after jacking the price of the AIDS drug Daraprim by 5400% (and still hasn’t lowered it, despite promises) after acquiring the company, is furious at Bernie Sanders for refusing to play along in a meeting/donation scheme, the Boston Globe reports:

In an interview with Stat on Thursday, however, Shkreli confirmed that he’d donated $2,700 to the Sanders campaign — the maximum individual contribution — on Sept. 28.

At the time, the campaign sent the Turing CEO a form e-mail full of populist fervor: “Our political system is corrupt. Big Money controls much of what happens. Together, you and I are changing that. Thank you again for your support. Best, Bernie.”

On Thursday, however, campaign spokesman Michael Briggs said Sanders won’t keep the money. Instead, the campaign will make a $2,700 donation to the Whitman-Walker health clinic in Washington. “We are not keeping the money from this poster boy for drug company greed,” Briggs said.

Bernie Sanders Redirects Donation

Catholic Philosopher Claims Gay People Are ‘Inherently Disordered’

As the Catholic Church continue to question their views on homosexuality, a renowned Italian philosopher has spoken out in support of those who wish to keep gays away from the religion.

Earlier this week, a prominent Italian philosopher championed the view of the far-right, arguing that gay priests have no place in the Catholic Church.  Behavioural scientist and philosopher Roberto Marchesini argues gay people are “inherently disordered” and therefore can’t be priests.  He went onto to claim that members of the LGBT community do not mature past childhood – remaining instead in a dependant, child-like state.

“The formative journey will be disrupted, despite his efforts or the support of a psychologist or psychotherapist, when they continue to be unable to grow up like everyone else, from their own serious immaturity (strongly dependent, notable lack of freedom in relationships, unchanging character; unfaithful; uncertain sexual identity, deep-seated homosexual tendencies, etc.)”

While his argument is in some parts misleading – and could easily be seen as nothing more than blatant homophobia – his sentiment clear.

“Well then, at least by Catholic teachings, a priest’s homosexuality is a problem.”

Catholic Philosopher Claims Gay People Are ‘Inherently Disordered’

Margaret Cho & the Philadelphia Police

Bisexual comedian Margaret Cho voiced her displeasure with plea deals reached with two suspects in the beating of two gay men in Philadelphia last year.  Her outrage initially led to a beef with Philadelphia Police that was settled once misunderstandings were worked out.

Earlier this week, two of the three co-defendants in the case pleaded guilty to charges of assault and conspiracy.  The two Bucks County men will have to perform community service for LGBT organizations and have been banned from Center City.

Cho, who has frequently spoken out on LGBT issues and makes them part of her act, was upset with those deals.  She directed her anger towards the Philadelphia Police Department and the other defendant in the case, 24-year-old Kathryn Knot, in a series of tweets.

Knott did not plead guilty to charges of assault and conspiracy and did not accept a plea deal. She will go to trial at a yet to be determined date.   An Upper Southampton native, she is the daughter of Chalfont Township Police Chief Karl Knott but not of a Philadelphia Police Department officer.

The department responded, saying they understood her frustration but clarifying that Knott is not the child of a Philly Police officer and that they do not prosecute cases, therefore having no say in the sentencing process.

Margaret Cho & the Philadelphia Police

11 Lesbians In History You Don't Know But Should

When we think of our lesbian pioneers, women like Ellen DeGeneres and Billie Jean King presumably come to mind. But we at The Huffington Post wanted to teach you a little somethin' somethin' about your history in honor of October's lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) history month. Below, feast your eyes on a group of undaunted ladies who helped paved the way for women and their women-loving ways, and check out the video above for HuffPost Live's full conversation on lesbian history from the ancient times to now.

Homecoming Votes Rigged

A transgender teen was crowned Homecoming Queen at Trenton Central High School’s homecoming game Saturday, and sources with intimate knowledge of activities at the school say the vote was a fraud.

A source who works at TCHS and asked to remain anonymous out of fear of retribution said the teacher who was in charge of the voting process for this year’s homecoming court failed to properly oversee the votes, which allowed students to stuff the ballot box as an alleged practical joke.   But other sources say the teacher was involved in stuffing the ballot box and did so because she wanted to “make history.”

“We are not bashing the [transgender teen]; how [she] chooses to live [her] life is not our issue,” Marie “Murf” Antionette said. “But the teen is registered at the school as a male. So why was the teacher allowed to let this person compete with other females?”

Former students and a source who works at TCHS told The Trentonian that in previous years students would vote for homecoming king and queen under the supervision of an adult faculty member. Sources said voting usually took place during physical education since it was a required class that all students would attend at some point. But this year, sources say, the teacher who oversaw the homecoming voting process failed to secure the ballot box, which allowed students to tamper with the results.

Homecoming Votes Rigged

Jake Gyllenhaal as Green Lantern?

It didn’t work for the first time when Green Lantern was brought to the silver screen in the form of Ryan Reynolds. The actor himself beat a lot of other good contenders for the role but despite that the movie somehow couldn’t make an impact. With DC Extended Universe declaring an amazing line up of movies till 2020, and major DC characters being cast, one can’t help but notice the absence of “Green Lantern.”

The character that is very much a pivotal figure in the “Justice League” and his very own movie “Green Lantern Corps” might soon need an actor to play the character. After the failed debacle of Ryan Reynolds version, there are many actors whose name has come up for the character’s DCEU reboot. There were some media outlets that also compiled a list of actors who could take on the role of Green Lantern while some chose to hold polls for the same.

Heroic Hollywood was one such outlet that ran a poll about who could play the role of Green Lantern. Ever since the media outlet posted the poll across their different social media platforms, answers came out in the favor of Jake Gyllenhaal and declared him as the top contender for the role.

Hello Brokies!

From Gregory Hinton

So, How Do I Donate?

As you now know, the back-up and update of DCF went pretty smoothly.   There was the occasional 'bump' here and there, but things are pretty much OK.

The next step is migration, and paying for those three steps, as well as the monthly fee.   A number of people have already asked about making donations, so here is the information I have.

At the bottom of the page is a box that says "Donate Via Paypal".  DO NOT USE THAT BUTTON.  If you do, funds will go to an inactive account, and we will have to work with PayPal to get your funds back.  What you should do is go to PayPal.com.  Once there, you'll see an icon of a monetary bill that says "pay or send money".  If you click that, you'll see the option "Send Money to Friends or Family".  Click that.  You'll then be taken to an page that asks for an email address and amount.  Enter the email address that matches my username here.  CellarDweller115@yahoo.com.  Then the amount you want to send, and click "next".  You'll then get a screen that says:  Send CellarDweller115@yahoo.com $X.XX, and click "Send".  Once it's processed, you'll get a screen that says "you sent $X.XX to CellarDweller115@Yahoo.com"

Another option is to mail a check to me personally.  If you choose that option (others already have) just send me a PM and I'll gladly give you my mailing address.

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 05:12:11 PM »

Tuesday, November 3rd, 2015

The Elusive Search Button

DCF members know that the Search function here was not working, and attempts to use it would make the forum crash. 

We're happy to let you know that we have just restored the search facility for all users.  You'll notice that there are two ways you can search the forum....there is a search box at the top right of the forum and a search menu button in your menu items on the left.

The simple search at the top right is best used when you are in a particular boar or thread; anything you search for using that option will only search you current location within the thread tree and items below it, e.g. if you were in “The Impact on Society and Ourselves” board and used the “simple search” it would only search for matching items on that board and the threads contained within.

The search button on your menu gives you more control on what to search for, where, when and who to search for.

Chick-Fil-A Goes Gay?

Eater, a popular foodie website, has outed Chick-fil-A as a sponsor of an LGBT film festival in Nashville, TN.

The Vox-owned foodie website seemed understandably surprised that Chick-fil-A’s logo would appear on the sponsors page of “Level Ground,” and that its name would be associated with what is "billed as the world’s first faith-based LGBT film festival."

That would be the biggest turnaround ever since it ceased donations of $5 million to antigay groups, when CEO Dan Cathy publicly stated his corporation would steer clear of social issues last year. That kind of support would be unprecedented, almost too good to be true.  Which it is.

Just hours after the article went live, a spokesperson for the Southern Baptist, family-owned fast food chain swiftly issued a clarification, telling Eater Chick-fil-A itself was never a sponsor of "Level Ground." The actual sponsor is a franchise owner in Nashville. A similar case happened last November when a Hollywood franchise donated 20 percent of its one-day proceeds to the LGBT student group, Campus Pride.

A Chick-fil-A representative told Eater, “The operators make decisions on local sponsorships."

Chik-Fil-A Goes Gay?

Boxer Claims He Was Drugged

A professional boxer claims he was drugged and forced to do gay porn, but the company who filmed his scene refuses to take that accusation lying down.

As a middleweight boxer, 35-year-old Yusaf Mack, has accumulated a 31-8-2 record since 2000. However, he reacted like he had been gut-punched earlier this week when the news that he had appeared in a gay porn video went public. “All my real friends who really know me, know I like females,” Mack said, according to Towleroad.com. "My whole life, I’ve been what they call a whoremonger. I love females.”

The film in question, "Holiday Hump'n," centers around a threesome with a man who looks like Mack named "Philly," and two other males, "Bamm Bamm" and "Young Buck."  The plot, such as it is, revolves around a series of explicit sexual acts between the trio.

The erotic opus was made by DawgPound USA, a porn company specializing in gay porn featuring African-Americans. 

Mack, the father of 10 children, admits he agreed to be in a porn film earlier this year because he was short of cash, but claims he thought it would be with women.  The Philadelphia-based fighter took a train to New York in June. He ended up in an apartment in the Bronx that he said had a number of naked women inside. "I think, 'It's about to go down.' I needed a drink or something," Mack told Philly.com.  "They me a pill and a shot of vodka. I took the pill down with the vodka."

Mack said he doesn't remember anything after that, until he woke up on a train with $4,500 in his pocket.

Boxer Claims He Was Drugged

Couple Arrested for Kissing?

The Honolulu Police Department is fielding accusations of discrimination following a romantic Hawaiian sojourn gone awry.  Courtney Wilson, 25, and Taylor Guerrero, 22, had been on vacation in Oahu for just two days when they were arrested, put behind bars and forced to live on the streets after spending their trip budget on bail.

The couple of two years has gotten remarks about their same-sex relationship before, they told the Associated Press, but nothing like this.

According to a federal lawsuit filed against the Honolulu Police Department Tuesday night, Wilson and Guerrero’s misfortune began in a grocery store at the beginning of March.

The pair had stopped inside a Foodland and were being physically affectionate — holding hands, hugging and kissing — when a Honolulu police officer, Bobby Harrison, noticed and ordered them to “take it somewhere else,” the suit claims.

Couple Arrested for Kissing?

When we think of our lesbian pioneers, women like Ellen DeGeneres and Billie Jean King presumably come to mind. But we at The Huffington Post wanted to teach you a little somethin' somethin' about your history in honor of October's lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) history month. Below, feast your eyes on a group of undaunted ladies who helped paved the way for women and their women-loving ways, and check out the video above for HuffPost Live's full conversation on lesbian history from the ancient times to now.

Homecoming Votes Rigged

A transgender teen was crowned Homecoming Queen at Trenton Central High School’s homecoming game Saturday, and sources with intimate knowledge of activities at the school say the vote was a fraud.

A source who works at TCHS and asked to remain anonymous out of fear of retribution said the teacher who was in charge of the voting process for this year’s homecoming court failed to properly oversee the votes, which allowed students to stuff the ballot box as an alleged practical joke.   But other sources say the teacher was involved in stuffing the ballot box and did so because she wanted to “make history.”

“We are not bashing the [transgender teen]; how [she] chooses to live [her] life is not our issue,” Marie “Murf” Antionette said. “But the teen is registered at the school as a male. So why was the teacher allowed to let this person compete with other females?”

Former students and a source who works at TCHS told The Trentonian that in previous years students would vote for homecoming king and queen under the supervision of an adult faculty member. Sources said voting usually took place during physical education since it was a required class that all students would attend at some point. But this year, sources say, the teacher who oversaw the homecoming voting process failed to secure the ballot box, which allowed students to tamper with the results.

Homecoming Votes Rigged

It didn’t work for the first time when Green Lantern was brought to the silver screen in the form of Ryan Reynolds. The actor himself beat a lot of other good contenders for the role but despite that the movie somehow couldn’t make an impact. With DC Extended Universe declaring an amazing line up of movies till 2020, and major DC characters being cast, one can’t help but notice the absence of “Green Lantern.”

The character that is very much a pivotal figure in the “Justice League” and his very own movie “Green Lantern Corps” might soon need an actor to play the character. After the failed debacle of Ryan Reynolds version, there are many actors whose name has come up for the character’s DCEU reboot. There were some media outlets that also compiled a list of actors who could take on the role of Green Lantern while some chose to hold polls for the same.

Heroic Hollywood was one such outlet that ran a poll about who could play the role of Green Lantern. Ever since the media outlet posted the poll across their different social media platforms, answers came out in the favor of Jake Gyllenhaal and declared him as the top contender for the role.

So, How Do I Donate?

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 04:58:19 PM »

Tuesday, November 10th, 2015

Mormon Church's New Ruling Upsetting

In the past two years, Nathan Kitchen has revealed to his five children that he's gay, gone through a divorce with his wife and grappled with how to stay in a religion that doesn't condone his lifestyle.  Now comes the toughest task: Telling his children he could be kicked out of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints if he someday marries a man, and warning his two youngest, 11 and 15, that they might be barred from serving a mission under new church rules.

"It's almost like they now have to choose between a gay father and a church that they love," said Kitchen, a 47-year-old dentist from Gilbert, Arizona. "This is almost too much to bear."

The changes to the Mormon handbook — disseminated this week to local church leaders around the world — say being in a same-sex marriage warrants ousting from the religion and that children of gay parents must wait until they're 18 and disavow homosexual relationships to be baptized.

The revisions triggered a wave of anger, confusion and sadness for a growing faction of LGBT-supportive Mormons who were buoyed in recent years by church leaders' calls for more love and understanding for LGBT members.

Mormon Church's New Ruling Upsetting

Gay College Student Disowned by Parents Raises Thousands for Tuition

A teen whose parents kicked him out of the house and cut him off financially because he is gay now has a shot at his dream of graduating college thanks to the support of friends and strangers, reports The Oklahoman

Joel Andrew, an 18-year-old freshman who was accepted in Oklahoma City University’s esteemed dance program, has raised more than $60,000 to pay for tuition after his dance instructor’s daughter set up a GoFundMe campaign sharing his story.

Andrew initially came out to his parents at 12, and was soon sent to a Christian reparative therapist for weekly sessions where he was forced to talk about the “gay” and effeminate things he was doing and was taught how to resist the urge.  “Every night, I would pray to God to make me straight,”Andrew told The Oklahoman. “It didn’t work.”

Andrew says his parents kicked him out of their home in Michigan after he began dating another guy, and refused to sign student loan documents so he could attend OCU after he told them he wouldn’t hide his sexuality. They also asked that he stop using his last name.

Gay College Student Disowned by Parents Raises Thousands for Tuition

Boxer Now Admits He's Gay

If Yusaf Mack’s gay porn saga were a fight, this would be the knockout punch.  The former boxer is finally coming clean and admitting why he performed in a video with two other men last summer. “I’m gay,” Mack, 35, told Fox29 Philadelphia on Wednesday. “I’m tired of holding it in, it is what it is, I’m gay.”

Mack initially went public last month with the far-fetched story of being drugged prior to performing in a heterosexual porn flick, only to discover later that he had performed in a gay film.  "My whole life, I've been what they call a whoremonger. I love females," Mack told Philly.com in October. "The only time I touch a man is when I'm in the ring fighting."

Mack’s story unraveled days later, after the company that paid him $4,500 to perform in the film threatened to sue.

“I did participate in the adult film because at the time I needed money but also because I am a bisexual man,” Mack said last week. “Meaning I enjoy safely being intimate with whomever I choose.”

On Wednesday, he dropped all pretense and admitted he concocted the story--and later, lied about being bisexual--to keep people, including the woman he was engaged to, from discovering the truth.  “It was all a lie,” said Mack. “I couldn’t hide it no more.”

Boxer Now Admits He's Gay

New Study Claims Women Are Rarely Straight

Women, you may not be as straight as you think you are — according to a new study from The UK’s University of Essex, at least. A team of researchers, led by Dr. Gerulf Rieger, monitored 345 women as they watched videos of naked men and women, testing for responses such as pupil dilation and direct genital arousal. Women who identified as lesbian showed strong physical responses to the women in the videos, and no real reaction to the men. Those who identified as heterosexual, however, were found to respond strongly to both men and women, prompting study authors to say that when it comes to a physical response, women are either lesbian or bisexual, rarely straight.

As surprising as this may sound, some of this is old news, Rieger says. Past studies have found that arousal is far more complicated for women than for men, he explains. Researchers already knew that women tend to have physical responses to all genders, whereas men respond to one sex — women, for straight men, and men, for gay men (the exception being bisexual men, who are physically attracted to both). “We have found this in the past, but what we have overlooked is that this is really only true for straight women,“ Rieger tells Yahoo Health. Lesbians, on the other hand, were more like men in that they only showed signs of arousal when watching other women.

New Study Claims Women Are Rarely Straight

Sara Bareilles and Jennifer Nettles Wrote Lesbian Musical

Singer/songwriter Sara Bareilles revealed she once collaborated with country star Jennifer Nettles to write a musical called Lesbians.

Bareilles (who has hit the Billboard Top 40 4 times, with songs like "Love Song" and "Brave" has earned rave reviews for her work on new musical Waitress, which she wrote the music and lyrics for.

And during a concert at New York City's City Center on Thursday night (06Nov15) featuring songs from the show, Bareilles revealed Waitress is actually the second musical she's written - but the first one didn't quite find the same success as her current show.

Telling the audience she and the Nettles, lead singer for the country group Sugarland, came up with the idea while on tour together a few years ago, Bareilles said, "We started writing a musical together called Lesbians! And we wrote five songs."

"One of them is called Lesbians on Parade, and it was inspired by the Lilith Fair," referring to the popular mid-1990s music festival which only featured female musicians.

Sara Bareilles and Jennifer Nettles Wrote Lesbian Musical

Tamil Nadu to Appoint India's First Transgender Police Officer

K Prithika Yashini, who was born male but underwent gender reassignment surgery, applied to become a police sub-inspector in the southern state.  But the state police board did not recognize a third gender, leading her to pursue a legal case against it.  A court in Chennai (Madras) has now ruled in her favor.

[I/]"I'm excited,"[/I] Prithika was quoted as saying by India's NDTV network. "It's a new beginning for the ent]ire transgender community."

A ruling by two judges in Chennai's high court said: "The social impact of such recruitment cannot be lost sight of, as it would give strength to the case of transgenders.  Yashini must reach the finish line, and not be stopped and disqualified in the middle."

India's supreme court recognized transgender people as a third gender last April, five years after the electoral commission added the category to ballot forms.

The ruling meant the government had to provide transgender people with quotas in jobs and education in line with other minorities, as well as key amenities.

Tamil Nadu to Appoint India's First Transgender Police Officer

Interview With Diana Ossana

Ossana, of Italian/Irish descent, was born and raised in St. Louis, Missouri. She attended Eastern New Mexico University in Portales, majoring in English/Political Science, and is the author of several short stories and numerous essays.

In 1992, at Larry McMurtry's request, she left a career in law to begin a writing collaboration with Larry, which continues to this day. Their collective works includes two novels, Pretty Boyd Floyd and Zeke and Ned, as well as over forty feature film scripts. They were writers and executive producers on four award-winning miniseries: Streets of Laredo and Comanche Moon for CBS; Dead Man's Walk for ABC; and Johnson County War for Hallmark Entertainment.

Diana and Larry received the Best Adapted Screenplay Academy Award for Brokeback Mountain (which they adapted from a short story by Annie Proulx). The film was directed by Ang Lee. In addition to co-writing Brokeback Mountain, Ossana was also the producer on the film, joining cast and crew during filming on location in and around Calgary, Alberta.

Ossana and McMurtry are developing three one-hour TV pilot scripts for series; developing a feature script with director Cary Fukunaga; and Diana has recently adapted the bookHope's Wish into a feature screenplay.

Brokeback Mountain & LGBT Perceptions 10 Years On

On 30 November, 2005, perhaps the most controversial film of the 21st century so far, the romantic drama film Brokeback Mountain, premiered in the United States. The film was directed by Ang Lee (Life of Pi, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon) and the screenplay written by Diana Ossana and Larry McMurty, based on the 1997 short story of the same name by Annie Proulx. The plot of the film revolves around the complex and emotional relationship between Ennis Del Mar (Heath Ledger) and Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal) in the American West from 1963 to 1983. The film was a critical and box-office success and had a huge cultural impact, garnering it the title of one of the most influential films of the 21st century so far from many critics and publications. The film was also surrounded with much negativity and controversy due to its depiction of a complex and dynamic gay relationship between the film’s two protagonists.

Looking strictly at the numbers, Brokeback Mountain was a success and plenty influential. The film had a budget of $14 million and an advertising budget of $5 million, however those costs were easily made up as the film earned $83 million domestically and a total of $178 million including foreign markets. At the 2005 Academy Awards the film was nominated for eight Oscars, the most of any film, winning Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Original Score. The film was even more successful at the BAFTAs, Golden Globes, and Critic’s Choice Awards where the film picked up a Best Picture win at each.

Brokeback Mountain & LGBT Perceptions 10 Years On

So, How Do I Donate?

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 08:58:02 PM »

Tuesday, November 17th, 2015

Counting For Thunder Wins More Awards

Philip Irwin Cooper continues to get attention and win awards for his film, "Counting For Thunder".   The most recent milestone for Philip and his movie happened at the Fairhope Film Festival in Alabama, where "Counting For Thunder" won the Audience Choice Award.

According to Cooper, the story is inspired by events in his own life, when he had to leave Los Angeles several years ago to go back home to the Alabama Gulf Coast. The USA graduate first created a one-man show where he played two dozen characters, which ran for seven months in Los Angeles – during which time it attracted the attention of producer Marsha Oglesby, who Cooper describes as a native of Butler, Ala., with relatives in Fairhope.

Completed in August, the film version of "Counting for Thunder" already has won awards at the Rhode Island International Film Festival and the Columbia Gorge International Film Festival.

Counting For Thunder Wins More Awards

Thousands Quit Mormon Church In Wake of Antigay Policy

Thousands of LGBT Mormons quit the Church following its new policy that calls those in same-sex relationships "apostates" and denies their children baptisms.

It was an emotional scene in downtown Salt Lake City on Saturday, where thousands of LGBT Mormons from dozens of states gathered. With 1,000 letters of resignation already submitted online, attorneys received an additional 1,500 letters at the Salt Lake event, which were placed on the lawyers' letterhead to expedite the process. Some ceremoniously walked to mailboxes to send off their final communication with the church.

"I do feel a sense of relief," former Mormon Kyler McGhee told KUTV on his decision to leave LDS. "Unfortunately, the Church decided to slam their doors in our face." Many of the participants at Saturday's event told KUTV they long ago left the church; about five percent of people taking part at the event were believed to be recently active members of LDS.

Nontheless, the Church released the following statement on the event: "We don't want to see anyone leave the Church, especially people who have been struggling with any aspect of their life. The Church exists to build people and help them heal, and there isn't one of us who doesn't need help at some point in our lives. We hope that today's guidance from Church leaders and the additional commentary will help provide understanding and context to some who may be considering resigning their membership. It's extremely important that our members read what leaders have said, and do not rely on other sources or interpretations or what people think they have said."

Thousands Quit Mormon Church In Wake of Antigay Policy

Boy Scouts Open Doors To Gay Leaders

At first glance, the Boy Scout chapter at the Oklahomans for Equality community center in Tulsa, Okla., could be any other. Three boys hold an American flag as they lead a group in the Boy Scout Oath. These words are the same every Cub Scout pack uses to start a meeting. And the room, too — with its fluorescent lights and vinyl floor tiles — looks like any church parlor.

But the rainbow flag on the wall gives away a subtle difference about this pack's sponsor. Oklahomans for Equality is Tulsa's only lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community center. Now that the Boy Scouts of America is allowing gay leaders and volunteers, a few chapters across the country have started up at LGBT centers like these.

"I had a background in scouting through Camp Fire when I was a little girl, and it was just a really good experience for me and I wanted that for my boys," says Shawna Simpson, the mother of two Cub Scouts in the chapter.

"That's what I love about the fact that we're forming it here, is that these kids are walking into this and they're going to be taught respect and responsibility — but not under the eyes of scrutiny and judgment. And that's so important to me."

Boy Scouts Open Doors To Gay Leaders

Olympic Freeskier Gus Kenworthy's Next Bold Move -- Coming Out

Gus Kenworthy started coming out to his family and closest friends nearly two years ago. His mom said she knew. His brother said he was proud. His best friend 
voiced unrelenting support. And if Gus Kenworthy were an average 24-year-old, the announcement -- the story -- might have ended there. But Gus Kenworthy is not an average 24-year-old. He is the top freeskier on the planet, an Olympic medalist, a face of the X Games. He is an elite athlete competing in the world of action sports, where sponsors -- and income -- are inextricably linked to image. In other words, he is an athlete with a lot to lose. But Gus Kenworthy is ready to tell that world, his sport, his truth. And so, as we sit down together in Los Angeles in September, he begins the only way he knows how: "I guess I should start by saying, 'I'm gay.'"

One month after the debut of ski slopestyle at the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Kenworthy, armed with a silver medal, is returning home to Telluride, Colorado. There's a parade being held in his honor, the town's first Winter Olympian. A crush of kids waving miniature flags printed with Kenworthy's image march below a "Go Gus!" banner that stretches across the town's main drag. There's a band and fireworks.  Mayor Stu Fraser proclaims a stretch of San Juan Avenue "Gus's Way."

Olympic Freeskier Gus Kenworthy's Next Bold Move -- Coming Out

Utah Judge Reverses Ruling

A Utah judge earlier sparked outrage after ordering to remove a foster child from the home of a lesbian couple, who said they had the consent of the baby's biological mother to take care of the child. The judge has now rescinded his order and says that the couple may keep the baby that they were planning on adopting.

April Hoagland and Beckie Peirce are a legally married same-sex couple already raising Peirce's two biological children together. They had gone through all the regular channels of background checks, interviews and home inspections to prove that they are fit to raise children. The biological mother of the infant, as well as the Utah Division of Child and Family Services, had always been supportive of the couple fostering and adopting the baby girl.

Other concerned parties were shocked and heartbroken at Juvenile Court Judge Scott Johansen's original order to have the child removed and placed specifically in the home of a heterosexual couple.

Utah Judge Reverses Ruling

Transgender ex-SEAL Kristin Beck

As a member of the U.S. Navy's SEAL Team Six, Kristin Beck faced down enemy combatants in one war zone after another, earning a passel of medals and commendations.

But the scariest moment of her life was back home after she retired from the military, the day she came out as a transgender woman and went to work in a dress, Beck said Saturday in a speech at Lehigh Carbon Community College.

And her proudest recognition, she said, has come in the form of emails from the parents of transgender children and from transgender children themselves who have thanked her for sharing her transformational story. 

As both a SEAL and as a transgender activist, Beck said she sees herself as "a sheepdog" protecting the flock.  "My mission is to try to help," she said.

Beck was raised in rural western Pennsylvania and now lives in Maryland where she is running in the Democratic primary against incumbent Steny Hoyer. Her story has gained national recognition through her 2013 memoir, "Warrior Princess: A U.S. Navy SEAL's Journey to Coming out Transgender," and the subsequent documentary "Lady Valor."

Transgender ex-SEAL Kristin Beck

The Truth About Transgender Suicide

For this year's transgender awareness week I wanted to write about something that the transgender community and its allies are often afraid to discuss. Those who want to drive transgender people into the closet, legislate against us, and stigmatize us, talk about all the time in order further marginalize us. It is literally a matter of life and death.  It is suicide.

People know that transgender people are at a higher risk of suicide, but why this risk is higher is often not understood by the public, or misused by people who wish us further harm. The statistic that 40% of transgender people have attempted suicide is used all the time to justify all sorts of things that have absolutely zero basis in science.

Why transgender people are at risk is something that has actually been studied in great detail by psychologists and sociologists. They have found many of the same factors increase risk across multiple peer reviewed studies.

Rejection by friends and family increases suicide risk.  Transgender people who are rejected by their families or lack social support are much more likely to both consider suicide, and to attempt it. Conversely, those with strong support were 82% less likely to attempt suicide than those without support, according to one recent study. Another study showed that transgender youth whose parents reject their gender identity are 13 times more likely to attempt suicide than transgender youth who are supported by their parents.

The Truth About Transgender Suicide

Ossana, of Italian/Irish descent, was born and raised in St. Louis, Missouri. She attended Eastern New Mexico University in Portales, majoring in English/Political Science, and is the author of several short stories and numerous essays.

In 1992, at Larry McMurtry's request, she left a career in law to begin a writing collaboration with Larry, which continues to this day. Their collective works includes two novels, Pretty Boyd Floyd and Zeke and Ned, as well as over forty feature film scripts. They were writers and executive producers on four award-winning miniseries: Streets of Laredo and Comanche Moon for CBS; Dead Man's Walk for ABC; and Johnson County War for Hallmark Entertainment.

Diana and Larry received the Best Adapted Screenplay Academy Award for Brokeback Mountain (which they adapted from a short story by Annie Proulx). The film was directed by Ang Lee. In addition to co-writing Brokeback Mountain, Ossana was also the producer on the film, joining cast and crew during filming on location in and around Calgary, Alberta.

Ossana and McMurtry are developing three one-hour TV pilot scripts for series; developing a feature script with director Cary Fukunaga; and Diana has recently adapted the bookHope's Wish into a feature screenplay.

So, How Do I Donate?

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 05:52:52 AM by CellarDweller115 »
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 10:16:18 PM »

Tuesday, December 1st, 2015

Counting For Thunder - The Interviews

By now you should all be familiar with Counting For Thunder, the film that was created by forum members Ellen (TellYouWhat), Sparky and Philip Cooper.

The film has appeared at numerous film festivals, and won a number of awards.

As everyone knows, films are helped along this route with interviews, and we're happy to say that the Counting For Thunder Facebook page has been updated to include videos of the interviews.

If you want to watch them, just click the link below to see the videos, and thanks so much to Philip, Ellen and Sparky, for keeping us updated on the little movie that could!

Counting For Thunder Interviews

New Campaign for It Gets Better

Five years after its launch, the It Gets Better Project is looking toward the future and continuing its work countering anti-LGBT bullying and suicide rates among queer youth.

The organization announced today the "5 Years Better" campaign in honor of the five-year anniversary of founder Dan Savage posting the first-ever It Gets Better video. For the "5 Years Better" project, It Gets Better is collaborating with Agency Team One and encouraging individuals to make and submit their own films to commemorate monumental moments throughout their lives that made an impact on their identity, as well as committing to make the next five years even better.

“Over the last five years, we've had the honor to communicate with today's LGBT youth and let them know there is a global community for them,” Brett Peters, Communications Director of the It Gets Better Project, said in a press release. “We’re beyond appreciative of Team One's efforts to help us reach even more young people worldwide and excited for this next chapter in our partnership.”

Check out the video to learn more about "5 Years Better" at the link below.

New Campaign for It Gets Better

Gay Drama Teacher Responds Perfectly After A Mother Pulls Her Kids From His Class

Michael Neri is a 26-year-old theater producer in the U.K. He’s currently super busy on a production of Rent, but he also runs the Talking Props Theatre School, which provides drama training to kids of all ages.

This week, Neri received a text from a student’s mother stating that she was pulling her children from class because — “as a Christian” — she didn’t approve of Neri’s “lifestyle.” The mother also asked for her deposit back.

According to Neri, the woman’s children were due to start classes on Monday. He had spoken with her on the phone and in person just days prior.  “I decided to reply as I felt it necessary to protect my name and business,” he added.  “I found [the text] hurtful; however, life is to short too worry about what other people think,” said Neri. “I always preach to my students, ‘Be yourself, life would be boring if everyone was the same.’ I simply put my words into action for myself.”

“When I was younger I would have loved for a place to go and be creative as well as have a safe haven to be with friends,” Neri said of his work. “Everyone who comes to class is different and they all accept and value each other for who they are. We love our students and they are so talented!”

To read the texts, click the link below.

Gay Drama Teacher Responds Perfectly After A Mother Pulls Her Kids From His Class

10 Myths About Lesbians

Forget everything you think you know about lesbians. Well, not everything. Some truths remain undeniably unavoidable (say, for example, that whole 'being attracted to women' thing), but for some reason our identity also comes with a bunch of misconceptions and stereotypes that range from casually cute to potentially dangerous. Of course, some stereotypes exist for a reason. Personally, do I own at least 10 beautiful flannel shirts? Yes, proudly. I also own around 30 pairs of Converse and I literally have a rainbow tattooed on my body. However, I am fully aware that the next girl I swipe right for on Tinder might hate rainbows and think flannel is downright atrocious. Is nothing sacred anymore? Who can we trust?! Just kidding...

Lesbians may share a label, but most of us couldn’t be more splendidly different. It’s time the world acknowledge how diverse lesbians and our culture can be instead of lumping us into a few key words and cultural icons. Of course, we can’t really hear that kind of ignorance over the blare of Tegan and Sara’s greatest hits while The Ellen DeGeneres Show plays in the background, but we know it’s there and we're demanding change. So here are the top 10 misconceptions about lesbians — study up because we're about to turn those perspectives around.

10 Myths About Lesbians

Group Threatens to Sue School Over Reading of Transgender Teen Jazz Jennings’s Book

Under threat of a lawsuit, a Wisconsin elementary school canceled a reading of “I Am Jazz,” a book about transgender teen activist Jazz Jennings.  The book was to be read at Mount Horeb Primary Center last week because one of the students there was born male and now identifies as female. “We refer to this as having a girl brain and a boy body,” the school’s principal said in a letter to parents. “Together we have come up with a plan to support this student in living as her authentic self.”

Parents might have recognized Jennings from the TLC series about her life as a transgender child. Jennings has identified as female since she was 2. Her parents supported her and began to open up to the public about her experience when Jennings was 7.

“I Am Jazz” is an extension of a documentary about her life that appeared on the Oprah Winfrey Network. “Orange Is the New Black” actress and trans woman Laverne Cox called the book “deeply moving in its simplicity and its honesty.”

Group Threatens to Sue School Over Reading of Transgender Teen Jazz Jennings’s Book

Homicides of Transgender Women in US Reach Alarming High

For a few transgender Americans, this has been a year of glamour and fame. For many others, 2015 has been fraught with danger, violence and mourning.

While Caitlyn Jenner made the cover of Vanity Fair and Laverne Cox prospered as a popular actress, other transgender women have become homicide victims at an alarming rate. By the count of the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs, there have been 22 killings so far this year of transgender or gender-nonconforming people — including 19 black or Latina transgender women.

The toll compares with 12 last year and 13 in 2013, and is the highest since advocacy groups began such tallies a decade ago.

“Most Americans think it’s been an amazing year for transgender rights,” said Mara Keisling, executive director of the National Center for Transgender Equality. “But for the transgender community, it’s been one of the most traumatic years on record.”[I/]

Death by death, the details are horrific. Kiesha Jenkins was beaten and shot dead by a cluster of assailants in Philadelphia. Tamara Dominguez was run over multiple times and left to die on a Kansas City street. Police said the most recent victim, Zella Ziona, was shot dead in Gaithersburg, Maryland, last month by a boyfriend embarrassed that Ziona showed up in the presence of some of his other friends.

Homicides of Transgender Women in US Reach Alarming High

Is Anne Hathaway Expecting?

Us Weekly confirmed on Friday that Anne Hathaway and husband Adam Shulman are expecting their first child.

On Saturday, the Oscar-winning star, currently on screen in "The Intern," was all smiles with her producer husband as they went out for breakfast in L.A.

Clad in a denim jacket, navy top, and comfy black pants, the beaming star made no effort to hide her tiny baby bump.

The couple has been married since September 2012. After the wedding, Hathaway told The Hollywood Reporter of her actress friends, "I'm the only one who's not a mother. I hope to join the ranks soon. I really want to have a baby."[/b]

Is Anne Hathaway Expecting?

So, How Do I Donate?

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 10:01:41 PM »

Tuesday, December 8th, 2015

Forum Financial Update

As promised, you can find posted accounting for the donations received, as well as expenditures, since we've switched to the member donations to keep the forum up and running.  You can click the link below to find them.

As for making donations,  follow these instructions:  At the bottom of the page is a box that says "Donate Via Paypal".  DO NOT USE THAT BUTTON.  If you do, funds will go to an inactive account, and we will have to work with PayPal to get your funds back.  What you should do is go to PayPal.com.  Once there, you'll see an icon of a monetary bill that says "pay or send money".  If you click that, you'll see the option "Send Money to Friends or Family".  Click that.  You'll then be taken to an page that asks for an email address and amount.  Enter the email address that matches my username here.  CellarDweller115@yahoo.com.  Then the amount you want to send, and click "next".  You'll then get a screen that says:  Send CellarDweller115@yahoo.com $X.XX, and click "Send".  Once it's processed, you'll get a screen that says "you sent $X.XX to CellarDweller115@Yahoo.com"

BBM Forum Financials

Alarming Increase in HIV Diagnoses Among Gay Latino Men

Last year, over 39,000 people were diagnosed with HIV in the US. That's a tremendous number, but for health officials it's also encouraging; it means that the US has experienced a 19 percent decline in the annual rate of HIV diagnoses over the course of the last decade. Unfortunately, the overall decline in HIV diagnoses also masks some alarming increases among gay men of color.

The CDC identified a 24 percent increase in new HIV diagnoses among gay Latino men between 2005 and 2014, according to data presented by the agency on Sunday at the National HIV Prevention Conference. There was a similar increase for black gay men — about 22 percent — but the number of new diagnoses leveled off after 2010, which may indicate that recent HIV interventions launched by the US government are working. When the data was broken down by age, researchers also saw an 87 percent increase in HIV diagnoses among black and Latino gay men between ages 13 and 24. This increase ended with a 2 percent decline in new diagnoses for young gay black men, however.

Alarming Increase in HIV Diagnoses Among Gay Latino Men

Gay Nigerians Share Stories of Abuse

This morning, BN TV published the PBS documentary focusing on corruption in Nigeria. That episode was focused on corruption in Nigeria. This one tackles “being gay in Nigeria”.

The official synopsis says;   Nigeria made same-sex marriage and gay rights activism illegal last January. Since then, gay Nigerians say abuse and extortion have become commonplace by state-sponsored vigilantes, police and public mobs. As part of a week-long series “Nigeria: Pain and Promise” special correspondent Nick Schifrin reports on the threats and violence that LGBT citizens face in that country.

JOSHUA MAINA - Reverend, Bauchi Christian Association: Homosexuality, sodomy. It is evil to this country. It is evil to our culture. It is evil to what we believe and that is Christianity. It is evil to what we inherited from our fathers. It is evil against anything that we hold so dear. Preach against them. Stand against them. If you want to go by them, the wrath of god will fall upon you.

Gay Nigerians Share Stories of Abuse

Ted Cruz's Campaign Insists He's Not A 'Gay Basher'

Ted Cruz's presidential campaign has been openly contemptuous and downright dismissive of anyone who has tried to get the Republican presidential hopeful to explain why he spoke at a conference last month organized and hosted by extremist pastor and radio host Kevin Swanson.

On multiple occasions prior the conference, and twice during the conference itself, Swanson explicitly endorsed the idea of imposing the death penalty for homosexuality, yet the Cruz campaign has cavalierly waved away questions about his appearance along side Swanson at his conference, insisting that Cruz is not some sort of "gay basher":

Cruz's refusal to denounce Swanson and his views is rather interesting, especially since Swanson himself has no trouble denouncing anyone who does not share his "kill the gays" views. For instance, on a radio program from March of this year, Swanson criticized Bob Jones III for daring to apologize for comments he made 35 years ago advocating that gays be stoned to death.

Ted Cruz's Campaign Insists He's Not A 'Gay Basher'

Tia Mowry Reveals How She Prepared For Her Lesbian 'Rosewood' Role

"Sister, Sister" star Tia Mowry opened up about tackling the recurring character, Cassie, who happens to be a lesbian, in the hit Fox series, "Rosewood."

When it came to inhabiting the role, Mowry, 37, told HuffPost Live that she concentrated more on the fact that Cassie had been a homeless teen rather than the character's sexuality.

"I just started to think about the time that volunteered at a homeless shelter years ago when I was in college. The homeless shelter had teens there," she said. "I just remembered their experience and what they were going through, what their needs were, what their expectations were."

As for the lesbian aspect, Mowry said she simply took the advice of her gay friends.

"They were like, 'Tia, just be yourself. Just be your charismatic self,'" she said. "There is no difference."

Tia Mowry Reveals How She Prepared For Her Lesbian 'Rosewood' Role

Ohio Teens/Siblings Switch Genders

An Ohio family is getting a son and a daughter — just not in the way they thought.  Beth McGarrity and husband Russ McGarrity Sr. learned their daughter Alyson — now Gavin or “G” — was transgender in 2011.  Then, just a month later, their son Russ “Russie” Jr. — now Raiden or “Rai” — told his parents he always felt he was a girl.

With the support of their parents, both teens have decided to undergo transformative surgeries. Raiden will have a breast augmentation and facial feminization surgery, and Gavin is set to undergo a mastectomy, according to Good Housekeeping.

“People ask me what I've lost," Beth told the magazine, “but I don't feel that I've lost anything. I have my son and daughter the way they should be.”

For years, Raiden, now 20, was bullied in school for her androgynous style and Beth told the magazine that school officials didn’t grasp the severity of what Rai was going through.

The school even threatened expulsion when they discovered Raiden had used the girl’s bathroom, Beth said, and she could see her then-son slipping into a downward spiral of depression.

Ohio Teens/Siblings Switch Genders

I'm GenderQueer

It’s interesting. I’m a genderqueer person who was assigned male at birth and likes to rock high heels and lipstick, but in the current moment of visibility for transgender women and men, very few people can seem to get my identity right. Over the past three years, people have gone from assuming I am “really gay” to assuming I identify as a woman. Which, I guess, is part of why everyone has become so obsessed with my leg hair.

As I’ve grown into my identity as a genderqueer person and learned to claim the femininity that has been shamed for so much of my life, people’s misperceptions have only grown. People see me in a skirt and assume that I aspire to look like a conventionally beautiful woman (whatever that looks like), so they frequently give me tips about what to wear, how to shave my legs and what lip colors look best on me.

First off, even if I did identify as a woman, it is never appropriate to tell someone you hardly know what to do with their body or what clothing they should wear. That’s ridiculous and patriarchal and condescending. Don’t do that to anyone ever, okay?

I'm GenderQueer

15 Things You May Not Know About Brokeback Mountain, 10 Years Later

Ten years ago this week, the Ang Lee film Brokeback Mountain first opened in theaters. Ask anyone today about it, and they can probably tell you two things about it: It's about gay cowboys and it featured one of Heath Ledger's most celebrated performances. Indeed, Brokeback Mountain remains a highlight of Heath Ledger's all-too-brief career.

Ledger, who starred opposite Jake Gyllenhaal, died of an accidental drug overdose in 2008 and only appeared in four more movies, including I'm Not There, and then The Dark Knight and The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, both of which were released posthumously. In honor of the film's ten-year anniversary, we're looking back on some behind-the-scenes stories that fans may not know, as well as recollections of from cast members about working with Ledger.

Happy Hanukkah!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 09:22:19 PM »

Tuesday, December 15th, 2015

Forum Financial Update

As promised, you can find posted accounting for the donations received, as well as expenditures, since we've switched to the member donations to keep the forum up and running.  You can click the link below to find them.

As for making donations,  follow these instructions:  At the bottom of the page is a box that says "Donate Via Paypal".  DO NOT USE THAT BUTTON.  If you do, funds will go to an inactive account, and we will have to work with PayPal to get your funds back.  What you should do is go to PayPal.com.  Once there, you'll see an icon of a monetary bill that says "pay or send money".  If you click that, you'll see the option "Send Money to Friends or Family".  Click that.  You'll then be taken to an page that asks for an email address and amount.  Enter the email address that matches my username here.  CellarDweller115@yahoo.com.  Then the amount you want to send, and click "next".  You'll then get a screen that says:  Send CellarDweller115@yahoo.com $X.XX, and click "Send".  Once it's processed, you'll get a screen that says "you sent $X.XX to CellarDweller115@Yahoo.com"

BBM Forum Financials

Referee Bill Kennedy, Following Slur by Rajon Rondo, Announces He's Gay

Veteran NBA referee Bill Kennedy has announced he is gay.  "I am proud to be an NBA referee and I am proud to be a gay man," Kennedy told Yahoo Sports. "I am following in the footsteps of others who have self-identified in the hopes that will send a message to young men and women in sports that you must allow no one to make you feel ashamed of who you are."

Kennedy's announcement comes in the wake of the ejection and subsequent suspension of Sacramento Kings guard Rajon Rondo earlier this month. Rondo was given two technical fouls and ejected by Kennedy during the second half of a game against the Boston Celtics in Mexico City on Dec. 3.

Rondo approached Kennedy after a first technical and yelled at him and then continued after Kennedy issued a second technical. As he was being pulled away by teammates, Rondo called Kennedy a gay slur, two sources told ESPN. Video of the encounter appears to show Rondo using the language.

On Monday, Rondo tweeted an apology:  My actions during the game were out of frustration and emotion, period!  They absolutely do not reflect my feelings toward the LGBT community.  I did not mean to offend or disrespect anyone.

Referee Bill Kennedy, Following Slur by Rajon Rondo, Announces He's Gay

Vancouver Men's Chorus Sings for Gay Syrian Refugees

A local men's choir has helped raise enough money to enable two gay Syrians to apply for refugee status in Vancouver.  It came, in part, through the Vancouver Men's Chorus's Making Spirits Bright performance last night at St. Paul's Anglican Church (1130 Jervis Street). Members of the choir have also contributed private donations to help the refugees, who are in hiding in Turkey.

"The guys feel so good about being able to do this kind of thing," VMC spokesperson Paul Stacey told the Straight by phone. "It was an awesome, awesome occasion."

Last night's VMC fundraising concert occurred at the same time as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was preparing to meet Syrian refugees at Toronto Pearson International Airport.

The VMC is Canada's first gay chorus and has been performing for more than 30 years. According to Stacey, there are about 90 men in the choir.

There are two more VMC Making Spirits Bright performances tonight (8 p.m.) and on Saturday (3 p.m.), also at St. Paul's Anglican.

Vancouver Men's Chorus Sings for Gay Syrian Refugees

Advertisers Embrace Gay People

’Twas a year of firsts, make no mistake about that. Not only did the Supreme Court legalize same-sex marriage throughout the land and Caitlyn Jenner became the first trans person to grace a Vanity Fair cover, but advertisers embraced “the gays” with open arms. Last week, Allstate joined the yuletide party with its “Here’s to firsts” campaign featuring two dads with a cute-as-a-button baby girl. Only the Grinch — or maybe Kentucky clerk Kim Davis — could resist loving this modern family. The insurance company joins other major brands — including Campbell’s Soup, Chevrolet, Hallmark, Honey Maid, Ikea, Kohl’s, Maytag and Tylenol — that have come on board with LGBT-inclusive commercials and social media campaigns in the past year.

“Marketers have been moving for many years toward including more lesbian and gay consumers in ads, part of a trend reflecting the changing demographics of the American public,” Stuart Elliott, who has covered advertising for more than three decades, told me. He added that since the court’s ruling in June, LGBT-inclusive commercials have become “more widespread.” To that point, GLAAD’s chief executive, Sarah Kate Ellis, said, “These ads have the potential to accelerate much needed acceptance of the LGBT community.”

Advertisers Embrace Gay People

Lesbian Mother Finally Gets To See Her Children Thanks To Supreme Court

An Alabama lesbian mother in a tough legal battle will finally be reunited with her three children thanks to the Supreme Court.

The U.S. Supreme Court Monday granted an emergency stay of an Alabama Supreme Court order that stripped the mother of her parental rights in a custody dispute. The decision means the mother will be allowed to have visitation rights until the court rules on her case and is a favorable sign for the woman’s plea.

The case centered around a lesbian couple who shared custody of three children but later split up. One of them gave birth to the children with the help of a sperm donor, and her partner later adopted the children while living in Georgia, so they could both be the official, legal parents.

Lesbian Mother Finally Gets To See Her Children Thanks To Supreme Court

Parents Update Tattoo

It was an “easy” touch-up, transforming an old tattoo into something new, but for one Canadian couple, the change represented a show of support and love for their transgender son.  Steve Peace, a Calgary-based tattoo artist, gave his wife, Lindsay, three tattoos more than a decade ago. Each piece of ink featured a portrait of one of their three children -- Elliot, Hamish and Ace.

Lindsay recently decided to have the tattoos touched up, but the image of Ace, their eldest son, needed extra work.  The original portrait showed a girl wearing pigtails and a pink dress. It was created before Ace, now 15, had come out as trans.

Lindsay says the original tattoo had made her son “sad.” “As our oldest child Ace is FTM transgender we need to update the tattoo to fully represent who he is in his happy new awesome life,” Steve wrote on Facebook.  So, the dad went to work.

As the photo shows, Steve created a new portrait of Ace that better captured his son’s identity. The pink dress was turned into a blue T-shirt and shorts while the purple flower was transformed into a slingshot.  “A lot of trans people don’t like pictures of themselves from their past,” Steve told BuzzFeed. “That’s one that sort of walked around with us, as a family.”  Once the new portrait was complete, Steve and Lindsay surprised Ace with the fresh ink.  The teen, who came out to his family about a year ago, was over the moon.

Parents Update Tattoo

15 Transgender Actresses Casting Directors Should Call Instead of Cis Men

“Trans people deserve the opportunity to tell our own stories.”

The question of whether cisgender actors (cisgender men in particular, but also cisgender women) should play transgender women's roles has gained steam recently. A few days ago, Hari Nef added her voice to the debate. The 23-year-old model and actress who stars in season two of Transparent was asked in a HuffPost Live conversation what her view on trans roles being portrayed by cis actors. While she acknowledged that “some recognition is always better than no recognition,” she went on to explain why that wasn’t enough.

“I feel like the clock is ticking in terms of how long can these studios and these producers really get away with casting cis people in trans roles when like, I’m here. Laverne [Cox]’s here. Trace Lysette’s here. Alexandra Billings is here. We’re all here—and we’re trans. We come to the set with years and months of lived experience that a cis actor would have to study.” She made it clear her comments weren’t  a dig at specific actors, adding, “Yes, Jeffrey Tambor kills this role [in Transparent] Eddie Redmayne’s a great actor and is fabulous in The Danish Girl, and I feel like these are roles being given to great actors. But at the end of the day,” Nef concluded, “trans people deserve the opportunity to tell our own stories, and I hope, moving forward, we can see more of these castings.”

We couldn’t agree more, but it seems like casting directors haven’t quite taken the hint yet. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of 15 transgender actresses, which is by no means exhaustive, just to get them started.

15 Transgender Actresses Casting Directors Should Call Instead of Cis Men

Ten years ago this week, the Ang Lee film Brokeback Mountain first opened in theaters. Ask anyone today about it, and they can probably tell you two things about it: It's about gay cowboys and it featured one of Heath Ledger's most celebrated performances. Indeed, Brokeback Mountain remains a highlight of Heath Ledger's all-too-brief career.

Ledger, who starred opposite Jake Gyllenhaal, died of an accidental drug overdose in 2008 and only appeared in four more movies, including I'm Not There, and then The Dark Knight and The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, both of which were released posthumously. In honor of the film's ten-year anniversary, we're looking back on some behind-the-scenes stories that fans may not know, as well as recollections of from cast members about working with Ledger.

Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 06:43:08 PM »

Tuesday, December 22nd, 2015

Pregnant Men in the Future?

After last week’s announcement that the Cleveland Clinic is performing uterus transplant surgery on women who were born without a womb or whose uterus is diseased or malfunctioning, many began to wonder whether this medical advancement could be replicated in men.

The simple answer is yes. Theoretically, men could receive a uterus, carry a baby to term, and give birth. But what really blew our minds is that the day of male pregnancy is closer than you’d think, reports Yahoo Health.

“My guess is five, 10 years away, maybe sooner,” says Dr. Karine Chung, director of the fertility preservation program at the University of Southern California’s Keck School of Medicine. Yahoo adds, “Today, medical advances let transgender women adjust their biochemistry to suppress male and introduce female hormones, have breasts that can lactate, and obtain surgically constructed vaginas that include a “neoclitoris,” which allows sensation.”

Pregnant Men in the Future?

U.S. Support of Gay Rights in Africa May Have Done More Harm Than Good

Suspicious neighbors and landlords pry into their private lives. Blackmailers hunt for victims on the social media sites they use to meet other men. Police officers routinely stop them to search for incriminating images and chats on their cellphones.

After an anti-gay law went into effect last year, many gay Nigerians say they have been subjected to new levels of harassment, even violence.

They blame the law, the authorities and broad social intolerance for their troubles. But they also blame an unwavering supporter whose commitment to their cause has been unquestioned and overt across Africa: the United States government.

“The U.S. support is making matters worse,” said Mike, 24, a university student studying biology in Minna, a town in central Nigeria who asked that his full name not be used for safety reasons. “There’s more resistance now. It’s triggered people’s defense mechanism.”

Four years ago, the American government embarked on an ambitious campaign to expand civil rights for gay people overseas by marshaling its diplomats, directing its foreign aid and deploying President Obama to speak before hostile audiences.

U.S. Support of Gay Rights in Africa May Have Done More Harm Than Good

Six GOP Candidates Pledge To Sign Anti-Gay Discrimination Into Law

Six of the Republican candidates vying for the presidency have signed a pledge promising to support legislation during their first 100 days in the White House that would use the guise of “religious liberty” to give individuals and businesses the right to openly discriminate against LGBT people.

Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, Ben Carson, Carly Fiorina, Rick Santorum, and Mike Huckabee vowed to push for the passage of the First Amendment Defense Act (FADA), legislation that would prohibit the federal government from stopping discrimination by people or businesses that believe “marriage is or should be recognized as the union of one man and one woman” or that “sexual relations are properly reserved to such a marriage.”  The pledge is supported by three conservative groups: the American Principles Project, Heritage Action for America, and Family Research Council Action.

“It has become clear that the First Amendment Defense Act is rapidly becoming a signature issue that unifies the GOP,” Maggie Gallagher, Senior Fellow at American Principles Project, said in the group’s statement announcing the pledge. “Three out of the four top contenders for the nomination — Carson, Cruz, and Rubio — have pledged to prioritize passing FADA in their first 100 days of office. Additionally, Bush, Graham, Paul, and now for the first time, Donald Trump, have publicly expressed support for FADA.”/I]

Six GOP Candidates Pledge To Sign Anti-Gay Discrimination Into Law

Am I the Only Lesbian Who Didn't Love 'Carol?'

Like many other women-loving-women, I was incredibly excited at the prospects of the movie Carol. I mean, how often is an amazingly talented (not to mention sizzling sexy) star like Cate Blanchett and a big Hollywood production budget dedicated to a lesbian-themed film? Especially a film where the girl gets the girl (spoiler, sorry) and especially one that's beautifully crafted.

No one can deny the importance of movies like Go Fish in the oeuvre of lesbian representation in media. Who among us didn't run to the video store and abashedly sneak into the porn section behind the curtain where the scant selection of LGBT films could be found? And who among us didn't watch every bad lesbian movie that came out of Hollywood, all of which either maimed or killed or mocked lesbians, or else were produced through the obvious male gaze and ended with the woman realizing the err of her ways and running back into the arms of her man?

We've had a painful film history. The movies made by us and for us were all pretty low budget and sometimes hard to watch. The sound quality and mediocre acting in many lesbian films were so bad, I'd watch with one eye; granted, one eye that was hungry for content reflective of who I was and who I loved.

Am I the Only Lesbian Who Didn't Love 'Carol?'

Man Convicted of Hate Crime in Attack That Left Transgender Woman With Brain Damage

A 26-year-old Brooklyn man has been convicted of assault as a hate crime in the October 2014 attack on a transgender woman that left her traumatic brain damage.

Prosecutors said Friday Marshawn Sonds, of Brownsville, faces up to 25 years in prison when he is sentenced next month. His was the first trial conviction secured by the newly created hate crime unit of the Brooklyn district attorney's Civil Rights Bureau.

According to trial testimony and court documents, 29-year-old Kimball "Kimy" Hartman was walking on Bushwick Avenue with a friend late the night of Oct. 12, 2014, when Sonds and other men approached and started attacking her, yelling gay slurs.

Sonds then picked up a piece of Plexiglas and swung it at Hartman's head. As she tried to get away, he threw it at her, striking her in the head. Hartman was knocked unconscious, began seizing and suffered profuse bleeding from the back of her head. She underwent surgery to replace a portion of her skull crushed in the attack and will likely suffer permanent repercussions, prosecutors said.

Man Convicted of Hate Crime in Attack That Left Transgender Woman With Brain Damage

A Troubling Look at Why Men Kill Transgender Women

Looking back on this year, it certainly feels like we as a society have made immense progress in accepting and understanding transgender people: Caitlyn Jenner was named one of Glamour’s Women of the Year; Jeffrey Tambor won an Emmy for his portrayal of a trans woman in Amazon’s series, Transparent; retailer & Other Stories enlisted an all-trans team for their ad campaign. But despite all of this positive media attention, violence against trans women has actually grown. According to Broadly, there have been 23 known killings of transgender women in the U.S. in 2015 — almost double the reported 12 killings in 2014. Of those killed, the overwhelming majority were women of color. And all but one of the murderers responsible have been men.

Broadly spoke with philosopher, queer theorist, and author of the books Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity and Undoing Gender to get her take on why men kill transgender women. In short, Butler believes that certain men feel threatened by transgender women and their undoing of the male gender. “Trans women have relinquished masculinity […] and that is very threatening to a man who wants to see his power as an intrinsic feature of who he is,” she said.

Those same men seem to feel especially threatened when trans women flirt or engage with them, which was the case with som of those who were killed. 21-year-old Zella Ziona was reportedly shot in the head by her friend after he became embarrassed by her “flamboyant” behavior. And 20-year-old Papi Edwards was apparently killed after revealing to her alleged attacker, Henry Gleaves, that she was trans. According to Butler, these men likely feel that any flirtation or interaction from trans women is an attack, and one they need to combat. “I presume that the straight man who shoots the trans woman, he feels like he has been ‘attacked’ by the flirtation,” she said. “That is very crazy reasoning, but there is lots of craziness out there when it comes to gender identity and sexuality.”

A Troubling Look at Why Men Kill Transgender Women

Brokeback Mountain and the Ultimate Brokeback Forum, 10 Years Later

Well, we've passed the 10th anniversary of Brokeback Mountain, and Thursday (12/24) marks the 10th anniversary of the Ultimate Brokeback Forum.

A new thread has been set up for members to talk about their memories of the movie, forum, gatherings, and all things Brokeback related.

How have you changed as a person from 2005 to 2015? 

Post up, and share your stories with us!!

Forum Financial Update

BBM Forum Financials

Merry Christmas!

Contributors: Michael Flanagan, KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 07:17:15 PM »

Tuesday, December 29th, 2015

Explicit Song Draws Fire

Gay rights activists are up in arms over the lyrics to an original song performed Friday evening on the reality-television song competition show “The Next Star for Eurovision 2016.”   Some 200 complaints about the song were sent over the weekend to the Keshet production company, which holds a tender to produce content, including “The Next Star,” from Channel 2, the Haaretz daily reported.

The Second Authority for Television and Radio, the public regulator of Channel 2, is reportedly examining whether the song’s lyrics constitute a violation of Keshet’s tender obligations.

The song, written and performed by contestant Maor Gamliel, was titled “Leaving the Closet,” and contained lyrics that mocked gay male sex: “Moshiko [a diminutive Hebrew form of the name Moshe], is interested in boys, Moshiko, craves butts, Moshiko, always in the showers, ignoring the girls, dropping his underwear, dropping the soap, should be in the theater, come on already, leave the closet, Moshiko.”

Explicit song Draws Fire

Steve Orlando, Creating Gay Heros

LGBT visibility in the realm of comic books has dramatically evolved since the granddaddy of all superheroes, Superman, first appeared on the cover of Action Comics no. 1 in 1938, and one of the people who has helped that evolution take a giant leap forward this year is 30-year-old writer Steve Orlando.

The bisexual scribe currently pens the adventures of DC Comics’ Midnighter, the first gay male superhero to headline a series from a mainstream publisher, and Orlando is breaking new ground by refusing to pull any punches when it comes to depicting the character kicking ass, or getting it.

The general growth of “confidence in queer storytelling” is something Orlando believes has helped push LGBT acceptance forward faster than a speeding bullet – both in entertainment and reality. He is at the forefront of a new wave of storytellers unapologetically crafting tales with a variety of queer characters, giving LGBT people new heroes with wider appeal as well as providing straight readers with images of a queer people that upend stereotypes.

Steve Orlando, Creating Gay Heros

New Guidelines on Blood Donations

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has released an updated policy on blood donations that lifts a formal ban on donations from gay and bisexual men. But gay rights activists say the updated guidelines still discriminate against many who should be healthy, eligible donors.

The final guidelines released by the FDA continues to ban men who have had sex with other men over the past year. Although the rules are relaxed, many say the FDA could do better.

"It's a 12-month ban, as opposed to a lifetime ban," said Congressman Brian Higgins, who was pushing for change. "It's arbitrary. It's not risk based. It's not science based."

Some gay rights activists say the updated policy is a double standard, because it continues to work against many gay and bisexual men who may be in monogamous relationships but, by remaining sexually active, are left out.

Jordan Moll Vigrass, organizer of Blood Is Blood, said a heterosexual with numerous partners within a 12-month period would not be looked upon in the same way as the gay or bisexual man involved with just one committed partner. "There's still a lot of healthy donors that are not going to be eligible to donate blood because of it," he said. "They (federal officials) really need to focus on an individual-based questionnaire for one person, not a group of people."

New Guidelines on Blood Donations

7 Lesbian Stereotyps - Are They True?

Stereotyping is a necessary evil. Stereotyping simplifies complex information so our brains can easily understand it, reducing the amount of processing we go through when seeing or meeting new people That said, it also causes us to generalize. If we see one hipster drinking PBR and wearing an “Everyone loves Grandpa!” T-shirt, our brain is like, #YesAllHipsters.

When it comes to lesbians, I was curious if the stereotypes had a basis in reality, partly because I am a former gym teacher who drives a truck and loves cats and has a wardrobe that’s 90 percent flannel. I've probed the data to see if the old lines about U-Hauling, lesbian bed death and others had any statistical sway. The results were surprising.

7 Lesbian Stereotyps - Are They True?

Transgender Sex Workers are Mistreated by the Institutions That are Supposed to Help Them

Transgender people, especially trans people of color, face devastating levels of discrimination in all walks of life. They experience dramatically higher rates of poverty, homelessness, mental health problems, harassment, and discrimination than other groups.

But for transgender people who work in the sex trade, these problems are even worse.

A new report takes a look at the discrimination faced by transgender sex workers, and it's grim. The Best Practices Policy Project, the Red Umbrella Project, and the National Center for Transgender Equality examined data from the 2011 National Transgender Discrimination Survey (NTDS), the most extensive survey ever taken on trans discrimination. Researchers took a closer look at the 694 NTDS respondents, about 11 percent of 6,450 total respondents, who reported experience with the sex trade. While both trans men and trans women reported engaging in sex work, trans women were twice as likely to do so.

Transgender sex workers are mistreated by the institutions that are supposed to help them

Stunning Photo Series Shows Transgender Kids As They See Themselves

Photographer Sarah Wong spent the past 13 years documenting the journeys of a group of kids who either identify as transgender or question the gender they were assigned at birth. The result, a photo series called Inside Out, lets the children present as they see themselves — it's like a wonderfully gender-affirming game of dress-up.

The portraits show the subjects at a variety of ages, posing as they wish and dressing how they feel most comfortable — regardless of the gender they were each assigned at birth. The children's parents wanted to keep them anonymous, so some portraits are accompanied by the subjects' ages, but never names.

Sometimes, the subjects look confidently into the camera, proud of their sports victories or showing off their cute outfits. Sometimes, they seem like every disaffected teenager on the planet, lounging on the sofa and waiting for the shot to be over with so they can get back to what they were doing.   Simply put: They look like kids

Stunning Photo Series Shows Transgender Kids As They See Themselves

Well, we've passed the 10th anniversary of Brokeback Mountain, and Thursday (12/24) marks the 10th anniversary of the Ultimate Brokeback Forum.

A new thread has been set up for members to talk about their memories of the movie, forum, gatherings, and all things Brokeback related.

How have you changed as a person from 2005 to 2015? 

Post up, and share your stories with us!!

Forum Financial Update

BBM Forum Financials

Happy New Year!

Contributors: Michael Flanagan, KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard