The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: "Demolition" Discussion Thread - Spoilers allowed  (Read 11967 times)

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
Re: "Demolition" Discussion Thread - Spoilers allowed
« Reply #210 on: August 29, 2016, 03:52:09 PM »
Just saw Demolition last night, so, before I forget:  Chris "acts out" his father's death for Davis by blowing up the toy truck, explaining a young girl his fellow troops stopped to help was laden with explosives.

His father's death? Oh. I didn't get that in that scene. That's why he was suspended? For telling the truth about his father's death? It makes perfect sense. Thanks!  :)

I loved Jake's performance, both shaven and bearded!  Dance scene!  Lovely shower scenes and him just sitting in bed in his skivvies. Creepy, complex and somehow endearing, Davis is another coup for Jake. 

;D

But I felt the script was lacking, and, um, a bit heavy handed (sledgehammer?). The whole break-it-down-to-build-it-up thing just didn't work for me. The rest of the cast too underdeveloped.

I agree. Now that I've watched the demolition scenes a couple of times... yeah, they're too long and too over the top, unfortunately. And I would've liked more Karen and Chris as well.

Your name is Paul, right? Thanks for your review, Paul!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 04:01:49 PM by BlueJeanJeannie »
Chaos is order yet undeciphered.

Offline suelyblu

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
    • suelyblu
« Reply #211 on: August 31, 2016, 03:54:30 PM »
I just found this, from TheGuardian.com:

"Jake Gyllenhaal and director Jean-Marc Vallée (fresh from the Oscar-approved Dallas Buyers Club and Wild) are unexpectedly in the online-only bin. After a brief cinema release in May, Demolition (Fox, 15) has bypassed DVD to surface on iTunes, a low-profile path for an attractive but underheated film that opened last year’s Toronto film festival with gold-plated ambitions."

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/aug/28/demolition-ratchet-clank-sid-nancy-jake-gyllenhaal-gary-oldman

:o  Does it mean that D. won't get a British DVD release or what? That's weird. Bizarre. I mean, even 'Accidental Love' is out on DVD...   ::)  And I was already disappointed there isn't a 'Demolition' soundtrack CD available, other than the soundtrack on Spotify  :(

I had been keeping an eye on eBay for British copies for you, Sue, but no luck so far - and now we know why. Would you like me to order a Dutch DVD for you? Region 2, so it'll play in the UK as well. It plays in English (or French  ;D ), you'll just be stuck with Dutch (or French) subtitles. Still, it's better than nothing. Let me know.

:-*

I have received the DVD of "Demolition" today via "jeannie". No chance of getting one here in UK. Soooo....a million thanks to her. Don't you think Brokies are just the best ?  :)    :-*
"I  know that ghosts have wondered on the earth,
 Be with me always. Take any form. Drive me mad,
 only do not leave me in the dark alone, where I cannot
 find you.
 I cannot live without my life.
 I cannot die without my soul.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #212 on: September 01, 2016, 03:54:56 AM »
My pleasure, Sue. As Davis would say: "You can buy almost anything on eBay."  :laugh:

And it's a fine opportunity to learn some Dutch as well, while you're at it...  ;)

ENJOY!!!  8)

Offline suelyblu

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
    • suelyblu
« Reply #213 on: September 01, 2016, 04:24:53 PM »
                                                      ^^

Learn some Dutch ?

" Ik zal mijn best doen."  :D
"I  know that ghosts have wondered on the earth,
 Be with me always. Take any form. Drive me mad,
 only do not leave me in the dark alone, where I cannot
 find you.
 I cannot live without my life.
 I cannot die without my soul.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #214 on: September 02, 2016, 10:24:18 AM »
 :o   Yeah!  :laugh:

You're doing great so far! Veel succes / good luck!  ;D

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #215 on: September 10, 2016, 03:44:31 AM »
Well, since it's been a year since 'Demolition' premiered at TIFF (2015), here's how Toronto looks back at it:

"Jean-Marc Vallee’s brilliantly constructed, executed and acted film stars Jake Gyllenhaal. This is one of the great performances of his impressive career. Gyllenhaal plays an emotionally unstable man trying to recover from the tragic death of his wife while uncovering family secrets and lies and simultaneously dealing with his petty obsession over a malfunction with a vending machine. Naomi Watts co-stars, along with Chris Cooper. The film’s disappointing box office during its release earlier this year does not mean the film is unworthy in hindsight. Audiences just shied away from the darkness. But a home viewing is still worth the time."

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/09/07/tiff-16-the-10-best-opening-night-films

That's nice! And maybe this is the perfect way to conclude this thread. The critics were just plain wrong all along...   :laugh:

And there's one more thing. Exactly one year after 'Demolition', Jake's new film 'Nocturnal Animals' will play at TIFF 2016 this weekend.  Yet another new project in the never ending cycle of movie making. Let's hope NA will get a great reception in Toronto, like it did in Venice last week. Let's hope it'll be successful - more successful than 'Demolition' was   ;D

I already know Jake's performance in NA will be just as interesting and intriguing. Go Jake!  :-*
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 06:55:53 AM by BlueJeanJeannie »