The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet January - April 2016  (Read 6686 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
The Daily Sheet January - April 2016
« on: January 04, 2016, 11:24:18 PM »

Tuesday, January 5th, 2016

I Will Be Killed if I return to Nigeria

An asylum seeker living in Sunderland has revealed he fears for his life if he returns to his native Nigeria.  Abraham, 43, from Lagos, was lynched by a group of six anti-gay vigilantes in 2007 and fled a similar attack a year later.  Under a law introduced in January 2014, same-sex couples in Nigeria can be imprisoned for 14 years.

Since his sexuality became known, Abraham has received hostile Facebook messages from acquaintances in the country.  He said he fears these people will inform him to the police, and expects to be arrested at the airport if he returns.  He does not want his surname printed or face shown because it would place his family in “grave danger”.

Just one per cent of Nigerians think society should accept homosexuality, according to a poll by the Pew Research Centre. The situation is made more desperate by the presence of the Isis-affiliated terrorist group Boko Haram in the north.  Under their strict interpretation of sharia law, homosexuals are punished by being stoned to death.

I Will Be Killed if I Return to Nigeria

HIV Cases in the Philippines

The total number of HIV infections could increase to 133,000 in the next seven years if the current trend of increase continues, the Department of Health Epidemiology Bureau (DOH) said in a forum Wednesday on the State of the HIV Epidemic in the Philippines.

“If we do not slow down our HIV epidemic, if we do not invest in preventing new HIV infections, the number of PLHIV (people living with HIV) will reach 133,000 by 2022,” said DOH Secretary Janette Garin.

The country has been struggling with a growing HIV epidemic which was first detected in 2009. From 2010-2015, more than 20,000 new HIV infections (more than 80 percent of total HIV infections) were recorded.

The latest HIV/AIDS Registry shows a cumulative 29,079 total HIV infections as of October. In 2001, when the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) were first launched, there were only 174 reported HIV infections.

HIV Cases in the Philippines

Mummers Parade Turns Bad

The Mummers Parade was not without controversy this year with an alleged gay-bashing incident and critics leveling accusations of racism and homophobia over some of the acts.

The controversial comic act was Finnegans NYB's "Finnegan Goes for the Gold" featuring Bruce Jenner turning into Caitlyn Jenner as a Wheaties box was held side by side with a Froot Loops box.  "We were watching on TV, I said you guys this isn't going to be good. Then everyone around us agreed. We found the fruit loops box was really inappropriate," Robia Smith-Herman of Center City said.

Rich Porco, the President of the Comics Division, tells Action News there was "no intent to harm or degrade anyone with the performances. This sort of satire has been around for 116 years."

But video obtained by Action News reveals a much uglier side of someone who was marching with the Finnegans Brigade.  The man in the video shouts, "[expletive] the gays, [expletive] the gays."

And it appears the hatred extended beyond the parade route.  John Holtz says he was walking his dog when two mummers in red, white and blue outfits began shouting homophobic slurs.

Mummers Parade Turns Bad

Lesbian Rumors Surround Kendall Jenner

Kendall Jenner has found herself at the centre of rumors she is a lesbian - after sharing a holiday romance with Harry Styles.  Kendall and 1D (One Direction) hunk Harry sent fans wild when they were pictured sharing an intimate embrace on board a luxury yacht earlier this week.  But reports from a US magazine claim Kendall is actually a lesbian and is "captivated" by her BFF Cara Delevingne.

Cara and Kendall - who affectionately refer to themselves as CaKe - are longtime friends and Cara is loved-up with girlfriend St Vincent.

Reports in America's OK! magazine include a quote from a 'source' claiming Kendall is openly gay among her close pals and her best pal Cara is helping her to accept herself.

"Kendall is a lesbian. She’s only just started talking about it with her inner circle."

Lesbian Rumors Surround Kendall Jenner

Advance Transgender Rights in 2016

CNN's Brandon Griggs has written that 2015 "may be remembered as the year the term 'transgender' fully entered mainstream consciousness." The International Business Times' Lydia Smith claimed it was "the year to be trans."

As a new year begins, it would be useful to reflect on whether or not such declarations reflect the reality of transgender lives.

In the government, President Barack Obama became the first U.S. president to say the word "transgender" in a State of the Union address. The Pentagon announced it would lift a ban on transgender people participating in military service, freeing thousands of transgender soldiers from hiding their identities.

Both the Department of Justice and the Department of Education supported transgender student Gavin Grimm's fight to use the boys' bathroom in a Virginia public school.  The Department of Justice also highlighted the lack of adequate health care for transgender inmates.

Advance Transgender Rights in 2016

Transgender Americans Increasingly Visible, Vocal

2015 saw transgender people burst onto America’s social, cultural and political radar as never before, with a household name leading the charge.

“This transition has been harder on me than anything I could imagine,” Caitlyn Jenner said in July when she received an Excellence in Sports Performance Yearly Award (ESPY) for courage.

For decades, Jenner had been known as former Olympian Bruce Jenner, one of America’s most celebrated athletes. Jenner’s gender identity announcement and re-emergence as Caitlyn drew national and international attention.

Jenner did not shy from the spotlight at the ESPY Awards ceremony, declaring, “Trans people deserve something vital. They deserve your respect.”

Meanwhile, an American television series, Transparent, revolves around a fictional family with a father coming to grips with being transgender. And moviegoers can see Oscar-winning actor Eddie Redmayne portray a 1920s transgender pioneer in The Danish Girl.

Transgender Americans Increasingly Visible, Vocal

Brokeback Mountain and the Ultimate Brokeback Forum, 10 Years Later

Well, we've passed the 10th anniversary of Brokeback Mountain, and Thursday (12/24) marks the 10th anniversary of the Ultimate Brokeback Forum.

A new thread has been set up for members to talk about their memories of the movie, forum, gatherings, and all things Brokeback related.

How have you changed as a person from 2005 to 2015? 

Post up, and share your stories with us!!

Forum Financial Update

As promised, you can find posted accounting for the donations received, as well as expenditures, since we've switched to the member donations to keep the forum up and running.  You can click the link below to find them.

As for making donations,  follow these instructions:  At the bottom of the page is a box that says "Donate Via Paypal".  DO NOT USE THAT BUTTON.  If you do, funds will go to an inactive account, and we will have to work with PayPal to get your funds back.  What you should do is go to PayPal.com.  Once there, you'll see an icon of a monetary bill that says "pay or send money".  If you click that, you'll see the option "Send Money to Friends or Family".  Click that.  You'll then be taken to an page that asks for an email address and amount.  Enter the email address that matches my username here.  CellarDweller115@yahoo.com.  Then the amount you want to send, and click "next".  You'll then get a screen that says:  Send CellarDweller115@yahoo.com $X.XX, and click "Send".  Once it's processed, you'll get a screen that says "you sent $X.XX to CellarDweller115@Yahoo.com"

Another option is to mail a check to me personally.  If you choose that option (others already have) just send me a PM and I'll gladly give you my mailing address.

BBM Forum Financials

Happy New Year!

Contributors: KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum.

Today's edition by KillersMom, CellarDweller115

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to CellarDweller115.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: The Daily Sheet January - April 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 10:38:08 PM »

Tuesday, January 12th, 2016

Gay Actor Lands Role in ABC Sitcom

A producer for ABC's new sitcom "The Real O'Neals" wanted a gay actor for the role of a teenager who comes out to his shocked Catholic family but was prevented by a law designed to protect gays and lesbians from asking those auditioning about their sexual orientation.

"It was very important to me and I was in a panic," said Todd Holland, an executive producer for the series that debuts March 2 before settling into a regular Tuesday time slot a week later.

Holland got his wish. Noah Galvin, the 21-year-old actor selected to play the Kenny character, is not only gay but eager to be an advocate for gay rights and defender of a show that took political heat even before ABC decided to pick up the pilot to make a series.

The story is loosely based on the upbringing of Dan Savage, author of the "Savage Love" sex advice column. His very involvement infuriated conservative groups, who regard Savage as an anti-religious bigot. They launched an unsuccessful campaign last spring to convince ABC executives not to pick up the show.

Gay Actor Lands Role in ABC Sitcom

'Repent' Call to Church Over Gay Christian Treatment

More than 100 senior Anglicans have urged the Church of England to repent for "discriminating" against lesbian and gay Christians.  The demand is made in a letter to the Archbishops of Canterbury and York ahead of a meeting of 39 primates from the global Anglican Communion.

They say the Church must acknowledge members around the world have been treated as "second-class citizens".

The Church of England says the letter will be discussed at their meeting.  The Bishop of Buckingham and several cathedral deans are among the 105 signatories.  The letter asks the two archbishops "to take an unequivocal message" to the meeting.  It urges them to tell the other leaders that the Anglican Church needs to acknowledge it "failed in our duty of care" to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Christians and "apologise for our part in perpetuating rather than challenging ill-informed beliefs".

It adds: "We understand that the primates come from a variety of contexts with differing ways of interpreting the scriptures, but we urge you to be prophetic in your action."

'Repent' Call to Church Over Gay Christian Treatment

Barracuda's 20th Anniversary

One of the most iconic gay bars in New York City just reached a massive milestone -- its 20-year anniversary.

Barracuda opened in 1995 in Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood and has served as a point of entry for many drag performers who have gone on to international fame. On Sunday, Oct. 18, 2015, 18 drag queens gathered to honor this bar that has played such a seminal role in their careers.

"Barracuda itself has changed relatively little over the years," said Bob Pontarelli. "If we changed too much we would no longer be who we are. But the role of gay bars in general has changed significantly... And in many ways mirrored the changes in society at large. Still, there remains a very important need for places to come together, bond and enjoy the company of your "tribe" and to celebrate your uniqueness"

Barracuda's 20th Anniversary

Lesbian Pioneer Jeanne Cordova Dies at 67

Fiery lesbian feminist activist/author/publisher Jeanne Cordova died peacefully at around 4:30am at her home in Los Angeles Sunday morning. Her spouse Lynn Ballen, and friends Jenny Pizer and Doreena Wong and Dina Evans from Arizona were with Jeanne when she passed. Jeanne was 67.

This morning, close friend Ivy Bottini posted this on her Facebook page:

Jeanne Cordova died this morning at 4:30 am. Our community has lost a guard at the gate of hatred and I have lost my Best Butch Bud of over 40 years. There will never be another Lesbian Activist like Jeanne. She was one of a kind. A true innovator. And a hell of a business woman. But right now I am grieving her lost presence, her laughter, her grit, and the love we both had for each other. Here’s to you, Jeanne, you will always live in my heart.

Lesbian Pioneer Jeanne Cordova Dies at 67

Transgender Stories in the Spotlight

The transgender community has seen more representation in television this past year than ever before.

Stories that exemplify the transgender experience are being recognized at this year’s Golden Globes with mulitple nominations. Transparent, which stars Jeffrey Tambor as a father who comes out to his family as transgender, cleaned up at the Emmys in September with five wins and 11 nominations. The Amazon original series has three Golden Globe nominations

Transparent is up for best television series in the musical/comedy category, best performance by an actor, and best performance by a supporting actress in a television series, musical, or comedy. The show is competing against the Netflix hit series Orange is the New Black, which stars transgender actress Laverne Cox.

The Danish Girl depicts the transgender experience on the big screen with Eddie Redmayne’s portrayal of Lili Elbe, the first person to undergo sex-reassignment surgery and live openly as a transgender woman. The movie has been nominated for best performance by an actor, best performance by an actress, and best original score.

Transgender Stories in the Spotlight

India’s First Transgender Band

An Indian band comprised of six transgender women released its first music video and single, a phenomenal cover of Pharrell’s “Happy” on Wednesday (Jan 6). 6 Pack Band has managed to breathe new life into a song that saturated U.S. airwaves throughout 2015 by offering up a message of solidarity and hope to India’s “hijra” community.

In addition to being impossibly catchy, the song “celebrates togetherness by depicting a more welcoming world” by raising awareness for India’s transgender community, Y-Films, which released the video, states.

Y-Films deems 6 Pack Band India’s “first transgender band” and says the singers hail “from India’s ‘Hijra’ community.” As famous Indian actress Anushka Sharma says in a voiceover at the beginning of the video, the centuries-old hijras are “the third gender, ignored by most, tolerated by some, misunderstood by all.”

“In India, the hijras are a community almost in exile,” Sharma continues. “Standing out at traffic signals after failing to blend in. Knocking on our windows in the hope for some kindness and perhaps a smile. But when they don’t get either they keep their chin up and find a way to simply be happy.”

India’s First Transgender Band

6 Pack Band - "Hum Hain Happy"

Well, we've passed the 10th anniversary of Brokeback Mountain, and Thursday (12/24) marks the 10th anniversary of the Ultimate Brokeback Forum.

A new thread has been set up for members to talk about their memories of the movie, forum, gatherings, and all things Brokeback related.

Forum Financial Update

As promised, you can find posted accounting for the donations received, as well as expenditures, since we've switched to the member donations to keep the forum up and running.  You can click the link below to find them.

As for making donations,  follow these instructions:  At the bottom of the page is a box that says "Donate Via Paypal".  DO NOT USE THAT BUTTON.  If you do, funds will go to an inactive account, and we will have to work with PayPal to get your funds back.  What you should do is go to PayPal.com.  Once there, you'll see an icon of a monetary bill that says "pay or send money".  If you click that, you'll see the option "Send Money to Friends or Family".  Click that.  You'll then be taken to an page that asks for an email address and amount.  Enter the email address that matches my username here.  CellarDweller115@yahoo.com.  Then the amount you want to send, and click "next".  You'll then get a screen that says:  Send CellarDweller115@yahoo.com $X.XX, and click "Send".  Once it's processed, you'll get a screen that says "you sent $X.XX to CellarDweller115@Yahoo.com"

Another option is to mail a check to me personally.  If you choose that option (others already have) just send me a PM and I'll gladly give you my mailing address.

BBM Forum Financials

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum.

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 08:51:54 PM »

Tuesday, January 19th, 2016

Gay Syrian Refugee Finds Acceptance in ‘Respectful’ Canada

If it weren’t for the castration threats, Rasheed might have believed Syrian police were only hounding him for his political views.

He and his friends had begun receiving unwelcome attention from cops in his hometown of Damascus as early as 2012, and they were told that perceived opposition to Syria’s extremist government was the reason for the increasingly tense encounters.

But Rasheed, who requested not to have his full name used for this story because he hasn’t told his family about his sexuality, believes the real motive came to the fore the day he and a few fellow gay men were carted off to a local jail.

The police who blindfolded him and beat him with electrical cables made revealing comments after seizing his cellphone containing pictures and videos that made his sexual preferences plain.  Amid derogatory taunts and homophobic slurs, he said the officers threatened him with much worse.  “‘We’re going to castrate you ... We’re going to rape you. You’ll never see this world again,’” Rasheed said they told him.

Such attitudes — the norm in his homeland, says the 32-year-old — were what allowed Rasheed to successfully claim refugee status in Canada and begin a new life.

Gay Syrian Refugee Finds Acceptance in ‘Respectful’ Canada

Trump Slams Cruz for Taking Money from Gay Donors

Although Donald Trump is considered to have largely avoided attacks on LGBT people in his presidential campaign, on Saturday he criticized Ted Cruz for taking donations from “people who espouse gay marriage.”

The Republican presidential front-runner made the remarks on his Twitter feed days after he and Cruz had a contentious moment in the most recent GOP presidential debate over Cruz attacking Trump for having “New York values.”

Calling Cruz “the ultimate hypocrite,” Trump links to a 2015 story in the New York Times revealing Cruz attended a fundraiser for him in New York City hosted by gay business owners Mati Weiderpass and Ian Reisner.

Trump’s word choice of “espouse” is noteworthy. At one level, it means “support” and amounts to Trump criticizing Cruz for accepting money from same-sex marriage supporters. But “espouse” also means “marry” and connotes disapproval of Cruz for accepting money from people who would want to enter a same-sex marriage, such as gay people in general.

The candidate takes the jab at Cruz as the presidential caucuses approach on Feb 2. in Iowa, a state where social conservatives and evangelicals dominate the Republican Party. Trump and Cruz have alternated for the top spot in the state in the polls.

Trump Slams Cruz for Taking Money from Gay Donors

Watch Two Gay Cowboys Get Intimate In This Steamy New Music Video (NSFW)

One of our favorite alt country bands just dropped a steamy -- yet tender -- new video for their song "I Don't Know What To Do."

Indiana Queen is a group fronted by openly queer Kevin Thornton that is breaking new group in the traditionally conservative, heteronormative genre of country music. This new track is off the band's sophomore album, "I Built A Fire," slated for release on Feb 16, 2016.

"The song is about those times when you are feeling the sexy magic and the other person isn't," Thornton told The Huffington Post. "My initial inspiration for the video was film noir cowboy and horse fantasy. When I asked my friends Phillipe and Nick (a real life couple in Nashville who star in the video), they brought so much chemistry it morphed into something else, but I really love the end result."

Watch Two Gay Cowboys Get Intimate In This Steamy New Music Video (NSFW)

I Don't Know What To Do - Indiana Queen

Slain Lesbian Woman's Family Says Her Murder Was Unjustified

While the Gauteng Community Safety Department works to fast track an investigation into the murder of a 21-year-old lesbian woman in the Vaal, her family says the attack was unjustified.

Motshidisi Melamu was killed in Evaton North last month in what appears to have been a homophobic attack.

Melamu’s relatives say they’re struggling to come to terms with her death.

Her cousin says Melamu had often received threats from some people in the community.

“We had accepted her at home. We didn’t care what others had to say. I just want police to take action and use these people as an example, to show them that what they did as wrong.”

Slain Lesbian Woman's Family Says Her Murder Was Unjustified

Wake County Transgender Students Want School Bathroom Choice

Hayden Riner, 17, left, of Cary and CJ Lewis, 17, of Apex, have been friends since Kindergarten and are both transgender Wake County teens who've lobbied the the school system to let transgender students use the bathroom of their choice.

Wake County school officials say they decide whether to approve requests from transgender students to use different restrooms case by case, approving some and turning down others. Now two transgender teenagers are urging North Carolina’s largest school system to allow all transgender students to use the restroom that matches their identity.

An online petition was created after Hayden Riner, 17, said he was threatened with suspension from Athens Drive High School in Raleigh if he continued to use the boys’ restroom. Hayden was born a female but identifies himself as male.

“The public school system was set in place to give every student an equal opportunity to gain a good education,” Hayden said. “It’s really hard to get a good education when you’re being threatened to be suspended for using the restroom.”

The petition, which had 698 signatures as of Sunday afternoon, comes amid a national push backed by the Obama administration to expand protections for transgender students. But the effort has drawn opposition from social conservatives who cite religious and privacy reasons.

Wake County Transgender Students Want School Bathroom Choice

Transgender Women STONED by Migrant Men in Germany

A GROUP of men from North Africa have been arrested in Germany after two transgender women were stoned in the street.  Three men attacked the women, who have been named as Yasmine and Elisa, on Saturday near the main train station in the German city of Dortmund.

Elisa, 37, said: “Within seconds we were tossed around…and they took stones from a gravel bed on the corner and threw them at us.”

The suspects, who are between 16 and 18 years old, reportedly told the police the victims ‘must be stoned’.

Transgender Women STONED by Migrant Men in Germany

Forum Financial Update

BBM Forum Financials

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 10:42:38 PM »

Tuesday, January 26th, 2016

Endorsements for Hillary

Ten gay and lesbian state and city Democratic elected officials on Tuesday are set to formally endorse Hillary Clinton for president, the Daily News has learned.

Among those backing Clinton are state Sen. Brad Hoylman, a Manhattan Democrat and the state’s only openly gay senator, as well as Assembly members Deborah Glick (D-Manhattan), Daniel O’Donnell (D-Manhattan), Harry Bronson (D-Rochester), and Matthew Titone (D-Staten Island).

City Council members James Vacca, who recently came out as gay, Daniel Dromm, Corey Johnson, Rosie Mendez, and James Van Bramer are also endorsing her.

“Not only has she been a proven leader domestically on issues around women's rights, LGBT rights and education, she has been a superlative diplomat with a wide range of international experience unlike any other candidate,” said Glick, who was the state Legislature’s first openly gay member.

Hoylman cited Clinton’s record and called it “icing on the cake” that she has the first openly gay campaign manager for a major presidential candidate.

Endorsements for Hillary

Gay Mormon Superhero

A game-changing comic book is offering a fresh take on the way religion and sexuality intersects with comic book culture.

Called Stripling Warrior, the project from So Super Duper Comics follows Sam Shepard, a happily out newlywed who receives a visit from an angel on his wedding night calling him, in the words of author Brian Andersen, to be "the hand of God on earth."

The series, illustrated by James Neish, is meant to be an exploration of the mythology of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints through a queer lens.

"Basically, I wanted to mine the religious lore and mythology of the Mormon Church to empower a homosexual hero -- to show that a gay character is every bit as worthy in the eyes of God as any heterosexual one," Andersen told The Huffington Post.

Check out the the interview below to learn more about this project and to see a selection of illustrations from Stripling Warrior.

Gay Mormon Superhero

Gay Man Was Forced by His Father to Have 'Conversion Therapy'

A gay man has revealed that he underwent five years of controversial therapy and was banned from talking to female family members in an attempt to make him straight.  Mathew Shurka, 27, from New York, said he was made to feel as though he had a disease that needed to be 'cured' - and was forbidden from speaking to his mother and sister for three years in case he picked up their feminine characteristics.

Mr Shurka said during both face-to-face and phone counselling, which he enlisted in after his father asked him to get help, he was told that there is no such thing as homosexuality - and that it was a psychological condition routed from sort of childhood trauma.

Now working as an activist to end all conversion therapy, which is already banned in California, New Jersey, Illinios, and Oregan, Mr Shurka says he was told he was suffering from a 'condition' called 'same sex attraction' which was shortened down to SSA.

Gay Man Was Forced by His Father to Have 'Conversion Therapy'

The Lesbian Employment Gap

Last year marked a historic moment for queer people across the United States, as the Supreme Court gave same-sex couples the right to marry on the federal level in a landmark 5-4 decision. But while love might have won in 2015, LGBT Americans still have not: Queer people continue to face high rates of employment discrimination across the United States. There's an old saying on this issue that you can get married on Saturday and get fired for having a photo of your partner on your desk on Monday. But recent research shows that many LGBT people aren't getting hired at all.

A study from New York University found that queer women were less likely to get a call back for a job interview than their straight female counterparts. Researchers found that "LGBT indicators" on an application made female applicants 30 percent less likely to get a phone call from interested employers. The report, published last week in the Socius, came to this conclusion after sending out 1,600 resumés to 800 workplaces. Researcher Emma Mishel said that this is a constant concern for her during the hiring process: "When you look at my work history, it's a lot of LGBT organizations, so it's pretty obvious that I'm queer," she told Fusion.

These findings buck conventional wisdom about lesbians in the workplace. According to a 2010 study from Industrial Relations, queer women actually earn 6 percent more than the straight women with whom they might share a cubicle. Last year, a report from Gender and Society found that the pay bump for lesbians was even higher -- with lesbians outearning heterosexual women by eight percent. However, they still took home less pay than gay men, who in turn earned less than heterosexual male employees.

The Lesbian Employment Gap

Olympic Body Changes Transgender Guidelines

The issue of transgender athletes recently gained wider global attention when Bruce Jenner, the 1976 Olympic decathlon champion, announced he had undergone gender reassignment surgery and was now living as a woman, Caitlyn Jenner.

Now transgender athletes look set to compete at the Olympic Games for the first time without first having to undergo gender reassignment surgery.

Medical chiefs at the International Olympic Committee (IOC) have recommended the change which could mean transgender athletes would be more readily able to take part in this summer's Olympics in Rio de Janeiro as well as other international events.

Transgender athletes have been allowed to compete at the Games since 2004 but only after surgery, having undergone a minimum of two years hormone therapy and being legally recognized as their changed gender.

Olympic Body Changes Transgender Guidelines

Jeremy Clarkson Attacked Over Transgender Comments

Jeremy Clarkson has been criticized by trans campaigners after saying parents "must not be allowed to poison the mind of a child" who thinks he or she is transgender.  In his column in the Sunday Times, he says kids shouldn't be "indulged".

He recounted a story told to him about an eight year-old: "She had been born a boy but had insisted from the age of three that she had a girl's name and wore girls' clothes and, later, that she went to a girls' school.  "Her parents had simply indulged this whim."

Campaigner Paris Lees, who transitioned from male to female herself, says parents aren't forcing their children to be transgender and that many kids attempt suicide after being rejected by their family.  "The overwhelming majority of trans people have had to fight to be accepted by their families," she said.

Jeremy Clarkson Attacked Over Transgender Comments

Forum Financial Update

BBM Forum Financials

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 06:55:18 AM by CellarDweller115 »
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 06:24:43 PM »

Tuesday, February 2nd, 2016

Let's Discuss Jake's Films!

Some of the regular posters to Jake's Eyelashes have been talking about Jake and his varied roles, and decided that they want to do a discussion group on Jake's films.  The plan is to start by watching "Highway", and have a discussion on it, and then go on through Jake's later films.

This discussion will be taking place in the "Let's Get Serious About Jake II" thread, and is opened to everyone who posts here.

Do you think this is something you'd want to take part in?  Follow the link below to the correct thread, and let us know by posting up!

Let's Get Serious About Jake II

Anti-Gay Protests Draw Over 10,000

Tens of thousands of people gathered in Rome's Circus Maximus arena Saturday to protest against a civil unions bill for same-sex couples, a hot-potato issue for Prime Minister Matteo Renzi's government.

But while organisers had been hoping to attract one million people and authorities had prepared for 500,000, journalists at the scene estimated the numbers to be in the tens of thousands. Official numbers were not immediately available.

"Without limits, our society will go mad!" organiser Massimo Gandolfini told the "Family Day" rally, as grandparents, parents and children held up banners reading "Wrong is wrong" in the capital's ancient Roman chariot racing stadium.

Italy is the last major Western country not to allow same-sex couples legal status.

The Senate began examining the bill on Thursday, which would enable gay people to commit to one another before a state official and, in certain circumstances, adopt each other's children and inherit residual pension rights.

Anti-Gay Protests Draw Over 10,000

The Latest Anti-Gay Oklahoma Bills

Outrageous anti-LGBTQ bills are now a fixture of the American legislative landscape. At the start of each year, extremist legislators come forward with a slew of discriminatory proposals, ranging from cleverly underhanded to openly deranged. Oklahoma’s latest bills fall on the latter side of that spectrum. In addition to some typical “religious liberty” legislation that would let businesses refuse service to gays—par for the course at this point—Oklahoma Republicans have cooked up some fascinatingly cruel bills.

What are we to make of these ridiculous bills? Presuming they are not avant-garde performance art—something we mustn’t rule out—I suspect they represent the last gasps of a lost cause. For decades, state legislatures could pass vulgar anti-gay legislation and simply get away with it. Now that federal courts are vigorously enforcing constitutional protections for gays, legislators like Kern are left to impotently rage against the dying of the light. The results are bizarre, humiliating, and pathetic. That, it seems, is what losing a culture war looks like.   

The Latest Anti-Gay Oklahoma Bills

The Indigo Girls - a "Lesbian Duo"

Amy Ray and Emily Saliers, the women behind the folk band Indigo Girls, are often labeled a "lesbian duo," which they told HuffPost Live isn't necessarily a bad thing -- except when it "implies mediocrity."  When host Alex Miranda asked Ray on Thursday if she ever feels pigeonholed by the label, she explained how identifiers can often be a good thing, especially in the middle of a fight for civil rights. 

"What we hope for is a day where that distinction doesn't matter and doesn't carry weight," Ray said. "But I think right now, for me, we're in the midst still of a civil rights movement -- in many different ways for different groups of people -- where identifiers can be good things and important moments for people to take inspiration from."

Still, those identifiers can be problematic; Ray used the example of classifying a black writer as an "African American novelist" instead of simply a "novelist."

Ray explained that while the band owes much of its success to the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community, being labeled a "lesbian singer-songwriter" is hard because it is often meant in a "derogatory" way instead of as a way to celebrate diversity.

The Indigo Girls - a "Lesbian Duo"

Pentagon Proposes Medical Benefits for Transgender Troops

The military healthcare system may soon cover the cost of hormone therapy and other non-surgical treatments sought by transgender service members.  The proposed medical benefits for transgender troops are tucked into a notice published Monday in the Federal Register that lists a number of proposed changes to treatments covered by Tricare related to mental health and substance abuse.

“It is no longer justifiable to categorically exclude and not cover currently accepted medically and psychologically necessary treatments for gender dysphoria (such as psychotherapy, pharmacotherapy and hormone replacement therapy) that are not otherwise excluded by statute,” the notice reads.

In July, Defense Secretary Ash Carter announced he intends to lift a ban on transgender troops serving openly after a working group studies the implications of lifting the ban. A final decision is expected in the spring.  In the meantime, Carter made it more difficult to discharge transgender troops by requiring high-level approval for the discharge.

Under Monday’s proposal, gender reassignment surgery would still be barred from being covered by Tricare.

Rep. Mac Thornberry (R-Texas), chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, told reporters Monday he hadn’t seen the proposed changes and so couldn’t comment directly on them.

“As somebody transitions, what’s the government's responsibility in that medical process, and I don’t have the answers to that,” he said.

In terms of allowing transgender troops to serve openly, he said mission readiness should guide all personnel decisions..

Pentagon Proposes Medical Benefits for Transgender Troops

Meth in the Transgender and Gay Community

Crystal meth use is a persistent problem for gay and transgender New Yorkers, but “is often ignored” and services to address it “are lacking,” experts say.

“Over half of the participants in our substance abuse treatment program come here for help around methamphetamine,” said Carrie Davis, chief program officer for The Center, a West Village-based refuge for the LGBT community for the past 33 years.

Tanya Walker, a transgender woman who co-founded New York Transgender Advocacy Group, highlighted a need for drug treatment programs specifically for transgender people, because mainstream centers often aren't equipped to help them.

“When they go there, they’re often mis-gendered, disrespected or forgotten about while they’re there,” she said.

Meth in the Transgender and Gay Community

Forum Financial Update

BBM Forum Financials

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 09:38:16 PM »

Tuesday, February 9th, 2016

Let's Discuss Jake's Films!

Some of the regular posters to Jake's Eyelashes have been talking about Jake and his varied roles, and decided that they want to do a discussion group on Jake's films.  The plan is to start by watching "Highway", and have a discussion on it, and then go on through Jake's later films.

This discussion will be taking place in the "Let's Get Serious About Jake II" thread, and is opened to everyone who posts here.

Do you think this is something you'd want to take part in?  Follow the link below to the correct thread, and let us know by posting up!

The Story Behind 'Brokeback Mountain'

A controversial movie about same-sex relationships released nearly a decade ago that hit the screens worldwide has a local twist, which is being revealed publicly to the press for the first time.
Brad Trom, a Blooming Prairie area family farm worker who graduated from Blooming Prairie in 1974, claims the 2005 movie "Brokeback Mountain," depicting the life and times of two men, was partially based on his friendship with another fellow. Prior to now, he had only disclosed that privately and primarily to family and close friends.
Trom credits the movie for being a catalyst in changing Americans' view on same-sex relationships over the past 10 years and, more recently, opening the way for passage of the gay marriage laws in many states, including Minnesota.

"It may be coincidental, but I feel a lot of things changed after the movie came out," Trom said. "I feel I have contributed to the progress of society through this story."

The Story Behind 'Brokeback Mountain'

What’s The Science Behind Straight Women Liking Gay Men?

For years, friendships between straight women and gay men have been a subject of pop culture fascination. Books, television shows and feature-length films have all highlighted this unique relationship, noted for its closeness and depth.  But with society’s attitudes toward gays and lesbians changing, it’s become all the more important to build a holistic understanding of the relationships between gay and straight people.

As a researcher in social psychology, I’ve often wondered: Why do straight female-gay male relationships work so well? Why are straight women so drawn to having gay men as friends? And when do these relationships typically form?

During the course of my research, I’ve discovered that the most interesting, compelling—and, arguably, most theoretically coherent—explanation is through the lens of evolution.  Specifically, I believe evolutionary psychology and human mating can help explain why relationships between straight women and gay men tend to flourish.

What’s The Science Behind Straight Women Liking Gay Men?

Lesbian Tricks Man Into Impregnating Her

Single-minded Kafayat Adegoke got herself pregnant after the mother of all deceptions.

The 30-year-old mature student set out to be a single mum and drew up a wishlist of characteristics she wanted in her child.  Then she set about finding a man – any man – who would oblige by sleeping with her. Once, twice, or however many times to get her her pregnant.

But the “lucky” fella would never know all she wanted was to become pregnant and that he was being used.  Once she was expecting, the “lover” was to be dumped unceremoniously and denied any chance of bringing up the offspring.

But Kafayat, whose baby is due in June, is in a lesbian relationship, insists she is not attracted to the opposite sex and went hunting for partners because it was cheaper than IVF or surrogacy.

Lesbian Tricks Man Into Impregnating Her

Kris Jenner Didn't Know What "Transgender" Was

Kris Jenner is shackled to the bulls-eye wheel in this new photo shoot for Harper’s Bazaar‘s March 2016 issue, on newsstands February 16.

Here is what the 60-year-old reality star had to share with the mag:

On adjusting to ex-husband Bruce Jenner’s transition to Caitlyn: “I think at some point, although it was difficult and, uh, a challenge… I just have to let it go. And try to be tolerant. [With] prayer. God. You know, just trying to understand. It takes time. But time is a wonderful healer. And we have two children together. It’s important for my kids to see our family strong and united.”

On being exposed to the transgender world: “I never really thought about it before. And I’d never known anyone who was transgender. I didn’t even know what the word meant. Because there’s transgender and transsexual… I just didn’t know much about it. So…I definitely got a big education.”

Kris Jenner Didn't Know What "Transgender" Was

Church offers 'Transgender Baptisms' for Preferred Sex

A British church wants its congregants to know they can be born again according to their preferred gender.

The New Chapel Unitarian and Free Christian in Greater Manchester is now offering “transgender baptisms” for those who want to select the gender they will emerge from the baptismal font.

“Baptismal services do not seek a child’s salvation but dedicate the parents to their task to raise the child to have virtues and principles by which to live. Ancient symbols may be used but they will reflect modern ideas and beliefs,” the Denton church says on its website.

Worship leader Jean Clements, 41, told the Manchester Evening News Jan. 30 that transgender communities were marginalized by other denominations, which spurred her into action.

Clements cited a same-sex marriage ceremony she officiated last year as proof transgender baptisms are necessary. The couple had a transgender child.

Church offers 'Transgender Baptisms' for Preferred Sex

Forum Financial Update

BBM Forum Financials

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: royandronnie, KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 08:23:52 PM »

Tuesday, February 16th, 2016

Finishing Up the Discussion of "Highway"

Well, the discussion is underway!  We've been talking about the film "Highway" which stars Jared Leto as Jack and Jake Gyllenhaal as Pilot.

We've had a few pages of discussion get posted, with about 7 different members taking part in it.

If you've seen "Highway" and want to join the discussion, please click the link below, which will take you to the first post of the discussion.

Honey Maid Wins Valentine’s Day

Honey Maid, enabler of graham cracker crusts and Teddy Graham nostalgia, has been on the forefront of the LGBT corporate acceptance trend since debuting their “This Is Wholesome” campaign—which featured a two-dad family—back in 2014. (Their great follow-up response to bigoted criticism of that ad proved their commitment to equality ran deep.) Now, the company is back with a further iteration on the “wholesome” theme for Valentine’s Day—and, frankly, it’s wonderful.

The spot, titled “Love Day” and crafted by agency Droga5, sidesteps the typical V-Day focus on couples and instead askes that viewers “think of love differently.” What follows is a series of moving snapshots of familial acceptance. A gay son comes out to his mother, who immediately wraps him in a hug: “You gay? It’s OK, hun! I knew you were. I knew you were, hun.” A pair of non-biological brothers assert their fraternity. A young transgender man thanks his mother for her understanding. A man given up for adoption thanks his birth parents for their choice. And a lesbian asks her grandmother if she’s “OK.” “Nothing would stop me from loving you my dear,” the grandmother replies.

Honey Maid Wins Valentine’s Day

Adidas Defends Pro-Gay Instagram Post

Adidas has jumped on the politically correct bandwagon with a Valentine’s Day Instagram post showing a same sex couple. The picture of what looks like two women in a romantic embrace is captioned with the old Beatles line, “The love you take is equal to the love you make.” By Monday it had over 96,000 comments and counting.

Adidas responded to some of the displeased comments, “No, this is a day for love. Happy Valentine’s Day.” Business Insider, Buzzfeed, Mic.com, and other news outlets rushed to lionize the company for standing up for LGBT people. 

Adidas has been a vigilant promoter of the LGBT agenda. Along with Nike and Levi’s it added rainbow designs to some of its footwear to support LGBT Pride Month, and donated some of the revenue to Portland's New Avenues for Youth, a group helping LGBT teens.

Adidas Defends Pro-Gay Instagram Post

Batwoman Actually Gets to Be a Lesbian Openly

DC hasn’t always done right by Kate Kane. However, it seems that – at least in DC Universe Animated Original Movies – they are attempting to remedy that by actually having Batwoman live life as a lesbian, you know, happily.

Sure, Batwoman came out as a lesbian in 2006, then became the lead of Detective Comics in 2009 (with writer Greg Rucka and artist J.H. Williams winning multiple awards for their seven-issue arc, Batwoman: Elegy). Yet, things started to backslide once she got her own title. Just when she started gaining real momentum as a character, with Williams continuing to tell her story with W. Haden Blackman, the pair quit Batwoman because, among other things, DC had changed their policies, which meant that Kate couldn’t marry her long-time love interest, Detective Maggie Sawyer of the GCPD.

Batwoman Actually Gets to Be a Lesbian Openly

WA Transgender Bathroom Rule Protest

Supporters and opponents protested at the Washington state capitol Monday over a new rule allowing transgendered people to use the bathroom of the gender with which they identify.

The Washington Human Rights Commission ruled in December buildings that are open to the public must allow transgender people to use restrooms and locker rooms of the gender they identify with.

The opponents are gathered to promote what they call “Safe Spaces for Women and Children.” Their goal is to share, what they say, are stories of sexual assault.

"I think it's completely outrageous to allow mixed sex nudity in locker rooms," said Jill Wade of Spanaway.

Another woman, who said she was a victim of sexual assault, said predators could use the law as a loophole.

WA Transgender Bathroom Rule Protest

Rebel Wilson’s Transgender Joke

Rebel Wilson was a presenter at Sunday night's BAFTAs and made a controversial joke that referenced transgender characters.

"I have never been invited to the Oscars because, you know, they are racists," she said while presenting the award for Best Supporting Actor. "But the BAFTAs have diverse members. And that's what we all want to see in life, isn't it? Diverse members. One day I hope to return here to win a BAFTA myself. I have already been practicing my transgendered [sic] face."

While some took to Twitter expressing out rage over the joke, others thought Wilson's comment was actually mocking non-trans actors winning accolades by playing trans roles.

This year, though Eddie Redmayne is nominated for multiple awards -- including an Oscar -- for playing a trans woman in "The Danish Girl," the transgender members of the acclaimed indie film "Tangerine" were not recognized by the Academy, despite a promotional campaign aiming to make them the first-ever openly trans people nominated for an Oscar for acting.

Rebel Wilson’s Transgender Joke

Forum Financial Update

BBM Forum Financials

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: Michael Flanagan, KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 11:00:11 PM »

Tuesday, February 23rd, 2016

Jake Gyllenhaal Film Discussion - What Film Is Next?

We have finished our discussion of Highway, and are  now debating which Jake film should be seen  next.

There are votes for Jarhead, and recently talk has turned to the film Moonlight Mile.

The discussion is open to all DCF members, so please stop by the thread, and let us know what film you think should be the next one on the list.

Sports Stars Come Out Swinging After Antigay Rants by Manny Pacquiao

Pro-LGBT celebrities from the world of sports have climbed over the ropes and jumped into the ring to fight antigay statements by professional boxer Manny Pacquiao, who said the criticism doesn't bother him.  According to Sports Interactive Network Philippines, Earvin Magic Johnson told his followers on Twitter he’s done watching the Filipino fighter, applauded Nike for dropping him over remarks that compared LGBT people to animals, and reminded Pacquiao money is green no matter what someone's orientation is.

Guardians of the Galaxy star Dave Bautista, a fellow Filipino whose previous claim to fame was as a professional wrestler, didn't hold back when TMZ asked him his thoughts about Pacquiao.  "My mom happens to be a lesbian so I don't fucking take that shit. I dont think it's funny," Bautista told TMZ in the video. And then he hit him again: "If anyone called my mother an animal I'd stick my foot in his ass." The WWE heavyweight wrote about his love for his mom in his autobiography in 2007.

Another famous sports personality, Jason Collins, also weighed-in on Pacquiao's political aspirations when he tweeted his disdain. Collins was the first out professional athlete in North America.

Sports Stars Come Out Swinging After Antigay Rants by Manny Pacquiao

This Gay Male Doesn't 'Feel the Bern'

As a gay male on the cusp between Generation X and Millennials, I often feel at a cross-roads between both generational labels.  Sometimes I favor the X's and other times I favor the Millennials, which isn't a bad thing.

In regards to 'Feel the Bern', I must confess that I haven't been drinking the Kool-Aid.  It isn't to say I'm pulling for Hillary Clinton, nor even any of the side show attractions currently representing the other side.  I just feel kind of at a loss over who to vote for when the elections come rolling around in November.  Neither candidate in the Democratic race truly speak to me whatsoever, and I feel bad since I'm a thirty something gay male that's supposed to be a Democrat.

However, when looking at the candidates over on the GOP, I'm scared to death that one of them could actually become president.  Not only would any progress made over the last fifty years be lost, I also fear none of them would know how to truly fix the economy, which hasn't fully recovered despite what the media might want us to believe.

This Gay Male Doesn't 'Feel the Bern'

Kenya: Lesbian, Bisexual and Queer Women Speak Out

Laughter, solidarity, and conviviality were in the air at a quietly remarkable event in a Nairobi hotel on February 12. Yet the subject matter discussed at the event was anything but light: depression and suicide, public stripping and rape. The Gay and Lesbian Coalition of Kenya (GALCK) was presenting its new report, "Research on the Lived Realities of Lesbian, Bisexual and Queer Women in Kenya."

The report addresses the often overlooked experiences of queer women. In much human rights reporting, violations against queer women, which often occur in the private sphere of the home, are overshadowed by violations in the public sphere. And our ears are attuned to the loudest voices - usually, men's - while women too frequently suffer human rights abuses in silence. The women of GALCK, trading in trust built among LBQ communities, transcended those barriers and elevated the voices of Kenyan women, bringing their experiences front and center.

Many of the stories center around family, including abuse when families discover queer women's sexuality. Rose, in Kisumu, described how her brother literally threw her out of the house, grabbing her by the throat and accusing her of being Satanic. Another brother threatened to turn her in to the police. Crimes as grave as rape may also take place in the family sanctum: in a 2012 case, a woman committed suicide "after her parents had held her hostage and had organized to have an older male family member rape her repeatedly in an effort to impregnate her and 'cure' her."

Kenya: Lesbian, Bisexual and Queer Women Speak Out

Administrators Told This Lesbian Student Her T-Shirt Was ‘Open Invitation To Sex.’

Taylor Victor will now be allowed to wear a T-shirt that identifies her as a lesbian, after reaching a settlement with her school district that resulted in an update to the student dress code.

Last fall, Victor wore a shirt to her Northern California school that read, “Nobody knows I’m a lesbian.” She said she wore it ironically because she is open about her sexuality. The administration reprimanded her and gave a slew of defenses for that decision, saying the T-shirt was “disruptive” an “open invitation to sex,” could be “gang-related,” and that students couldn’t wear shirts that stated their “personal choices and beliefs.”

In response, Victor sued two administration officials with the representation of the ACLU. The Manteca Unified School District reached a settlement with the ACLU this week. Although the school district denied wrongdoing, it agreed to change its dress code to make it clear that students can wear clothes that support either their own identities on the basis of sexual orientation, gender, race, religion and other identities, or support their classmates identities, without retribution from the administration.

Administrators Told This Lesbian Student Her T-Shirt Was ‘Open Invitation To Sex.’

Pastor Redefines 'Church' For Transgender Youth

Some churches have become inclusive of gays and lesbians, but for transgender people, church can still feel extremely unwelcoming. A congregation in Phoenix is working to change that by focusing on the everyday needs of its members — many of whom are homeless trans youth.

It starts with a free dinner every Sunday night with donated homemade and store-bought dishes.

"There's no shame. There's no judgment. It's here to help. We're about health and wholeness," says the founding pastor Jeffrey Dirrim as he points to countless toilet paper rolls on the table for anyone to take. It was toilet paper week. "And you need toilet paper, we've got toilet paper."

The congregation is called Rebel and Divine and they have a mission: To reach at-risk youth. It grew out of a Christmas shoe drive years ago and it now serves about 200 attendees a month under the umbrella of the United Church of Christ. The attendees are people in their midteens and mid-20s, gay and lesbian kids, homeless kids, and especially transgender kids — people often unwelcome at other congregations.

Pastor Redefines 'Church' For Transgender Youth

Critics of Transgender Bill Threaten S. Dakota Boycott

Opponents of a bill that would prohibit transgender students in South Dakota from using the bathroom of their choice are taking aim at the state’s $3.8 billion tourism industry.

Activists this week used a Twitter hashtag created by South Dakota’s Tourism Department to criticize lawmakers for advancing legislation the activists believe would lead to bullying and discrimination, the Argus Leader newspaper reported.

Gov. Dennis Daugaard is considering whether to sign the bill passed by lawmakers that requires transgender students to use bathrooms and locker rooms that correspond to their sex at birth. Advocates say the bill is meant to protect the privacy of students, but opponents say the legislation is discriminatory.

Dave Woodside, of Bear, Delaware, told the newspaper that his family plans to visit Mount Rushmore and the Badlands in August but will book accommodations outside of South Dakota if the transgender bill becomes law.

Critics of Transgender Bill Threaten S. Dakota Boycott

Forum Financial Update

BBM Forum Financials

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 05:52:36 PM »

Tuesday, March 8th, 2016

Jake Gyllenhaal Film Discussion - Moonlight Mile

We have finished our discussion of Highway, and are  now debating which Jake film should be seen next.

The overall winner was Moonlight Mile.

If you've seen Moonlight Mile, please feel free to join our discussion by clicking the link below.

Young Gay Rodeo Cowboy Came Out

I am emotionally strong, shamelessly confident and relatively successful. That doesn't mean I didn't struggle along the way. Actually, ‘struggle' is an understatement. ‘Struggle' implies the typical high school experience — balancing acne, popularity, sports, grades and parental control.

The ‘struggle' I speak of was an internal battle so fierce and destructible I was frequently left with severe nausea. I hated myself on a fundamental level. Before I could face my peers every day, I had to face myself. Perhaps the worst part was not being able to talk to anyone about it, not even my best friend. Even if I trusted someone enough to carry the secret capable of ending life as I knew it, I couldn't say it out loud. Saying it out loud would make it true. "I'm gay." I wanted nothing more than for those unspeakable words to be false.

I was the only son born to a fifth-generation ranching family in rural South Dakota. The nearest town had a population of 400 people and was a 25-mile drive on mostly gravel roads. Life was simple. I loved the ranch and my family — I still do. As a toddler, I wanted to be exactly like my father when I grew up: go to college, marry a wife as perfect as my mother and have a family of my own.

Young Gay Rodeo Cowboy Came Out

Utah Gay Wedding Expo

Jason Langlois and Will Bladh are in the early stages of making plans for their summer 2017 wedding, and they don't want their excitement pierced by the pain of being rejected by a venue, florist and photographer who have a legal right in Utah to refuse to serve a gay couple.

That's why they joined several hundred people Sunday at a gay and lesbian wedding expo in Salt Lake City aimed at connecting couples with businesses who want to make it known they're open to doing same-sex weddings. "We don't have to worry about, 'Will they or won't they,'" said Langlois. "It's a group of businesses that are LGBT friendly."

With a string quartet playing on one side of the Eventos Reception Center and pop music on the other side, gay and lesbian couples chatted with businesses showing off fancy wedding cakes, fun photo booths and elaborate floral arrangements.

Karl Jennings and Chris Marrano were looking for a cake baker and photographer for their June wedding. They said they've had a heterosexual friend helping them make wedding plans by calling ahead to businesses to make sure they'll do a gay wedding. That wasn't an issue Sunday.

Utah Gay Wedding Expo

Sarah Paulson Doesn’t Want to be Labeled a Lesbian

The actress Sarah Paulson, well-known from American Horror Story and now the hit FX miniseries The People versus O.J. Simpson, in which she plays the tight-curled prosecutor Marcia Clark, made waves late last year when it came out that she, at age 41, was dating actress Holland Taylor, 32 years her senior.

But Paulson — who previously dated the actress Cherry Jones for seven years and, before that, was engaged to the actor and playwright Tracy Letts — doesn’t want to be labeled a lesbian, she tells The New York Times in a long profile by Michael Schulman.

“If my life choices had to be predicated based on what was expected of me from a community on either side, that’s going to make me feel really straitjacketed, and I don’t want to feel that,” she said in the story. “What I can say absolutely is that I am in love, and that person happens to be Holland Taylor.”

Sarah Paulson Doesn’t Want to be Labeled a Lesbian

Does the New ‘Ghostbusters’ Feature a Lesbian Lead Character?

Paul Feig’s all-female Ghostbusters reboot just got its first official trailer on Thuesday morning, and viewers are already speculating about Kate McKinnon’s character Jillian Holtzmann. Two flirty moments in the trailer are particularly sparking excitement among fans, who wonder if they’re about to see that still-rare thing: Not just an openly gay character in a major Hollywood film, but, as Vanity Fair‘s Joanna Robinson puts it, “the instigator of the first-ever gay romance in a summer tentpole movie.”

McKinnon is Saturday Night Live‘s first openly lesbian cast member, and while she’s not necessarily playing a lesbian here, her magnetic performance is certainly inviting speculation, particularly due to one particularly saucy wink and a subtly suggestive smile.

Does the New ‘Ghostbusters’ Feature a Lesbian Lead Character?

DeBlasio Mandates Bathroom Access

People visiting New York City-owned buildings will be able to use whatever bathroom matches their gender identity, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced today—a move that comes as several other cities have sought to stop transgender people from using bathrooms of their choosing.

“I think New York City has an obligation to lead. I think we have an obligation show that everyone should be embraced and everyone should be accepted,” Mr. de Blasio said today at a city recreation center in Chelsea. “Change comes from the grassroots. Change comes from the ground, and if people who believe in human rights don’t stand up for them, it lets those negative voices dominate.”

Mr. de Blasio signed an executive order today declaring that all city-owned buildings—schools, city offices, gyms and recreation centers like the one he visited today, some museums and public parks—that have single-sex facilities allow people to us the bathroom or locker room of the gender with which they identify.

DeBlasio Mandates Bathroom Access

Caitlyn Jenner Claims Republicans Will Do more

Caitlyn Jenner has claimed that Democratic Presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton only cares about herself.  The former Olympian, who is a staunch Republican, made the claim on her reality show I Am Cait, which has just begun its second season.

During the show, Jenner is discussing politics with her transgender friends, when she insists that the former Secretary of State won’t do anything for trans people, and that Republicans would.
The former Olympian said: “[The Democratic Debate] is the last place I want to be.”

Of the struggle  for trans rights, she said: “We need both sides… if we’re unfortunate enough to get Hillary as our next President, we need her on our side.
“Although she won’t be… she couldn’t care less about women. She only cares about herself.”

When asked exactly which Republican candidates would help trans people, she claims: “All of them. They don’t hate gays or trans people."

Caitlyn Jenner Claims Republicans Will Do more

Forum Financial Update

BBM Forum Financials

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 10:20:13 PM »

Tuesday, March 15th, 2016

Jake Gyllenhaal Film Discussion - Moonlight Mile

We have finished our discussion of Highway, and are  now debating which Jake film should be seen next.

The overall winner was Moonlight Mile.

If you've seen Moonlight Mile, please feel free to join our discussion by clicking the link below.

Philly Gay-Basher Won't Get Reduced Sentence

Kathryn Knott, sentenced to five to 10 months in jail for an attack on a gay couple in Philadelphia in 2014, won’t receive the reduced sentence she requested.

Philadelphia Common Pleas Court Judge Roxanne Covington ruled today that the sentence is appropriate, the Philadelphia Daily News reports. Knott, 25, is still “in need of correction,” the judge said, adding that a shorter sentence would “depreciate the seriousness of the crimes.”

Knott was convicted in December of simple assault, reckless endangerment, and conspiracy to commit simple assault in the attack on Zachary Hesse and his boyfriend, Andrew Haught, in Philadelphia’s Center City neighborhood in September 2014. She was in a large group of people who confronted the couple, with one man in the crowd asking Hesse if he was “a dirty faggot.” The exchange soon escalated into physical violence, leaving Hesse hospitalized with a broken jaw and cheekbones, resulting in his jaw being wired shut. The attack led Philadelphia to pass an LGBT-inclusive hate-crimes law; Pennsylvania lacks such a law statewide.

Philly Gay-Basher Won't Get Reduced Sentence

Openly Gay Former Naval Officer Says He was Called 'Faggot' and Harassed

An openly gay former navy officer will appear before the Federal Court of Appeal this week, alleging he was denied support, harassed, called a "faggot" and compelled to quit the Canadian Forces, all because of his sexual orientation.

Retired Sub-Lt. Paul Ritchie is seeking a judicial review of a Canadian Human Rights Commission decision. It's the latest step in a complex five-year legal battle that has pitted one man against the military. "I was forced out," said Ritchie, who lives in Dartmouth, N.S. "There were definitely consequences for me, when I spoke up."

In 2008, Ritchie enlisted in the Royal Canadian Navy. He became a sub-lieutenant and enrolled in a training course that would have helped fast-track his military career.

During his months of training, Ritchie says he documented several specific and general instances of harassment. However, two separate investigations have found no evidence of discrimination based on his sexual orientation.

Openly Gay Former Naval Officer Says He was Called 'Faggot' and Harassed

Xena: The Warrior Princess to be Out and Proud in New Reboot

LGBT icon Xena: The Warrior Princess will soon be battling her way back onto television screens – fifteen years after the last episode of the show aired.  However, fans of the cult icon and her long time lover Gabrielle will be delighted to discover that their romance will feature at the forefront of the new series.

NBC has ordered a new Xena pilot from writer Javier Grillo-Marxuach, architect behind the CW’s cult hit The 100 – which recently provoked viewer backlash after the death of a popular LGBT character.

Grillo-Marxuach told fans that he plans to be a little more forthcoming about the undeniable chemistry between Xena and Gabrielle with this updated version.  “Xena will be a very different show made for very different reasons,” he said during a Q&A on Tumblr.

“There is no reason to bring back Xena if it is not there for the purpose of fully exploring a relationship that could only be shown subtextually [sic] in first-run syndication in the 1990s,” he added.

Xena: The Warrior Princess to be Out and Proud in New Reboot

Supreme Court Reverses Alabama Court that Denied Lesbian Woman's Adoption

The Supreme Court on Monday unanimously reversed an Alabama court's refusal to recognize a same-sex adoption.  The justices upheld a challenge brought by an Alabama woman after her state's highest court refused to recognize the adoption she and her former lesbian partner were granted in Georgia.

The couple never married and have since split up. But the case presented a test of an issue that crops up occasionally in state and federal courts since the Supreme Court struck down state bans on same-sex marriage: Can gays and lesbians be denied adoption rights?

The case was brought by "V.L.," as she is identified in court papers, against her former partner "E.L.," who gave birth to three children between 2002-04 while the couple was together. To win adoption rights for V.L., they established temporary residency in Georgia.

Now that they have split, E.L. agreed with the Alabama Supreme Court, which ruled in September that Georgia mistakenly granted V.L. joint custody. E.L.'s lawyers argued that "the Georgia court had no authority under Georgia law to award such an adoption, which is therefore void and not entitled to full faith and credit."

Supreme Court Reverses Alabama Court that Denied Lesbian Woman's Adoption

Meet the First Trans White House LGBT Liaison

For 21 years, the White House’s LGBT liaison has been been either a straight woman — the first was a Bill Clinton-appointee named Marsha Scott — or a cisgender (nontrans) gay or lesbian official. But Raffi Freedman-Gurspan just changed all that.

Freedman-Gurspan is a trans Latina public policy expert who was first appointed to a staff position in the White House last year. Now she becomes the first out transgender person to serve as the White House’s LGBT liaison, reports BuzzFeed. Her official title is outreach and recruitment director for presidential personnel and associate director for public engagement.

Formerly the racial and economic justice initiative policy advisor at the National Center for Transgender Equality, Freedman-Gurspan is no stranger to breaking barriers. She was the first transgender woman to work in the Massachusetts House of Representatives, where she was instrumental in passing the state's Transgender Equal Rights Law. Freedman-Gurspan’s work has garnered high praise for her ability to connect issues of racial and economic justice with LGBT concerns.

Meet the First Trans White House LGBT Liaison

Tattoo Fixer "Sketch" Devastates Transgender Model

Tattoo Fixer Sketch has come under fire this afternoon.  As sources continue to come forward with shocking behind-the-scenes secrets of the Channel 4 show , transgender guest Brix Schaumburg - who featured in the first series - touched base with Mirror Online.

He signed up for the programme last year to get a feminine butterfly inking on his shoulder covered up, having recently completed his female-to-male transition.

During his time on the show, he explained to Sketch that he wanted a more masculine piece to reflect his journey. So the artist drew up a design of pirate ship sailing out of a storm into calmer waters - which he was happy with.

But Brix was devastated with the results.

Tattoo Fixer "Sketch" Devastates Transgender Model

Forum Financial Update

BBM Forum Financials

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 08:22:51 PM »

Tuesday, March 22nd, 2016

The Devastating Play That Should Guarantee Michelle Williams a Tony

Prepare to be devastated. The new Broadway revival of Blackbird, the anguished and harrowing play by David Harrower that won London’s Olivier award in 2005 before opening to astonished and astounding reviews in its initial New York production two years later, is again ablaze with power at the Belasco Theater. Suffice it to say that in 80 mesmerizing minutes with no intermission, you will not see a darker, more polished, better directed or brilliantly acted play this year. It will knock you right out of your sensible shoes.

Jeff Daniels recreates the career-defining role he created in 2007—a tortured man named Ray, paunchy from years of nutritious neglect, unable to stand erect with pride or purpose, haunted by a sordid event from his past he has tried to put behind him without success. Ray, a beaten man in his mid-50s who has seen better days, has spent time in prison for pedophilia, which he insists was a mistaken debt for a love affair with a 12-year-old girl named Una whom he seduced when he was in his 40s. Rehabilitated and trying to survive, he now works in a dreary office building at a job he has no passion for. In fact, he hasn’t had much passion for anything since Una. Theirs, we soon learn, was not a case of sexual abuse but a full-fledged love affair oblivious to the social parameters of social acceptance and the law.

The Devastating Play That Should Guarantee Michelle Williams a Tony

Have You Seen Dream Boy?

Dream Boy is a 2008 gay-themed romantic drama film written and directed by James Bolton and based on Jim Grimsley's 1995 novel of the same name about two gay teenagers who fall in love in the rural South during the late 1970s.

Fifteen-year-old Nathan Davies (Stephan Bender) moves to St. Francisville, Louisiana, a small Southern town with his parents (Thomas Jay Ryan and Diana Scarwid) and starts to befriend the older boy next door, Roy (Maximillian Roeg), fellow high school student and bus driver, who is in a relationship with Evelyn (Rooney Mara). Nathan and Roy start to develop their relationship by helping each other with school work at Nathan's house. While Roy is teaching Nathan how to solve an Algebra problem, Nathan touches his hand. Roy pulls away at first, but then takes hold of Nathan's hand.

Have you seen  this movie?  Want to discuss it?  Want to watch it?  Post in the thread titled "Overlooked Films" and give us your opinion.

Have You Seen Dream Boy?

Harvey Levin Gives an Honest Account of Growing Up Gay

TMZ founder Harvey Levin wrote a letter, published by the Los Angeles LGBT Center, sharing his difficult experience growing up gay according to Gay Star News.   

“When I was a teenager, I found myself in a profound internal struggle – what I perceived as a mandate to live a ‘straight’ life, despite contrary feelings that were welling to the surface,” Levin writes.

“I thought I did a pretty good job sublimating those feelings, but someone close to me had a good sense of what was really going on. That person went on with what felt like a homophobic campaign, denigrating LGBT people with epithets and snide comments – without ever confronting me directly,” Levin continued.  “That was my first encounter with anyone who suspected I was gay, and it scarred me for many, many years. I tried harder than ever to lead a ‘straight’ life.”

Eventually Levin allowed himself to take part in the gay night life scene, but did so cautiously.

Harvey Levin Gives an Honest Account of Growing Up Gay

Twins Come Out to Each Other & Then to Their Mother

I’m From Driftwood, a LGBT storytelling platform, released a heartwarming video about Ron Malott’s coming out experience. After Malott realized he was gay (an endearing situation that involved Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon), he told his twin brother, who is also gay. Then the two told their mom together.

“My mom was awesome, but when someone’s awesome that’s the last person you want to disappoint," says Malott.

Click the link below to see the actual video of the story.

Twins Come Out to Each Other & Then to Their Mother

TV Kills Another Lesbian Character

Fans of The 100 are still reeling from the death of Lexa – a popular lesbian character who died after being accidentally shot – so the killing of another LGBT fan favorite on Sunday night couldn’t have come at a worse time.

On Sunday’s “Twice as Far” episode of The Walking Dead, Denise (Merritt Wever) takes an arrow to the brain (and through the eye) to become the latest LGBT character to get the ax. Her surprise death came in the wake of The 100’s decision earlier this month to kill off Lexa (Alycia Debnam-Carey), who had just consummated her relationship with Clarke (Eliza Taylor).

Both deaths shouldn’t come as a huge surprise to The Walking Dead and The 100 fans: characters routinely get the boot on the former AMC show, and Wever even told EW that her arc “was going to be a finite experience on the show.” As for Debnam-Carey, she’s a series regular on Fear the Walking Dead so everyone should have assumed her time on the CW show was going to expire.

TV Kills Another Lesbian Character

After Bearing His First Child, This Man Says he Just Might Do It Again

Junior Brainard stands in front of the gold-painted fireplace where his partner Tina Montgomery photographed him each week during his pregnancy. He pulls out one of the last pictures.

"This is me at — I think, at 38 weeks," says Junior. "I'm just wearing a white tank top. And yeah, my belly sticks out pretty far. Some people said, 'Well, you're either pregnant or you have a basketball under your shirt or something.'"

Junior is undeniably pregnant in the photo. But before then most people weren't so sure, because Junior is a man. That is, he's a female-born transgender man. And his partner, Tina Montgomery, is a male-born transgender woman.

They're an unlikely pair in a few ways. Tina's black, Junior's white. Tina's 49, Junior's 34. Tina's tall and voluptuous, Junior's shorter and slight.

They started talking about having a child pretty early in their relationship.

After Bearing His First Child, This Man Says he Just Might Do It Again

EastEnders Viewers React as Transgender Kyle Finally Confesses to Stacey - 'I was your sister Sarah'

EastEnders newbie Kyle has finally confessed to his sister Stacey.  Kyle had been hiding that he's transgender since his first appearance at the end of 2015 and in Monday night's episode all was revealed.

As Martin, Stacey and Kush argued, Kyle approached Stacey to finally reveal all.  Kyle, played by trans actor Riley Carter Millington, has been stalking his sister and repeatedly trying to get her to believe that they have the same dad, Brian.

"Stacey, I don't want you being scared of me," insisted Kyle. "I used to be your sister, I was Sarah."

How will Stacey react to the news?

EastEnders Viewers React as Transgender Kyle Finally Confesses to Stacey - 'I was your sister Sarah'

Forum Financial Update

BBM Forum Financials

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: foreverinawe, KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 09:14:45 PM »

Tuesday, March 29th, 2016

Have You Seen Dream Boy?

Dream Boy is a 2008 gay-themed romantic drama film written and directed by James Bolton and based on Jim Grimsley's 1995 novel of the same name about two gay teenagers who fall in love in the rural South during the late 1970s.

Fifteen-year-old Nathan Davies (Stephan Bender) moves to St. Francisville, Louisiana, a small Southern town with his parents (Thomas Jay Ryan and Diana Scarwid) and starts to befriend the older boy next door, Roy (Maximillian Roeg), fellow high school student and bus driver, who is in a relationship with Evelyn (Rooney Mara). Nathan and Roy start to develop their relationship by helping each other with school work at Nathan's house. While Roy is teaching Nathan how to solve an Algebra problem, Nathan touches his hand. Roy pulls away at first, but then takes hold of Nathan's hand.

Have you seen  this movie?  Want to discuss it?  Want to watch it?  Post in the thread titled "Overlooked Films" and give us your opinion.

Have You Seen Dream Boy?

Anne Hathaway, Others, to Boycott Georgia

Anne Hathaway and Julianne Moore are among leaders in the entertainment industry who will boycott Georgia if an anti-gay bill is signed into law.  HB 757, previously known as the ‘pastor protection act’ has passed in the House and Senate, and has headed to Governor Nathan Deal’s desk to be signed.

Similar to the widely condemned ‘religious freedom’ bill passed in Indiana last year, HB 757 would even allow hospitals to refuse treatment to LGBT people.  With the bill waiting to be signed, a letter from dozens of Producers, Directors, Actors and Writers has been sent to the Governor's office.  The letter states that they would “take our business elsewhere” if HB 757 is signed into law.

The letter comes after Human Rights Campaign (HRC) president Chad Griffin on Saturday urged Hollywood to pack up and stop producing films there, if the bill is signed into law by Deal.
The HRC, which wrote the letter, notes that in the past year, 248 films an TV shows were filmed in and around Atlanta, Georgia, which is known as the “Hollywood of the south”.

The list of signatures on the letter includes:  Anne Hathaway, Matt Bomer, Dustin Lance Black, Kristin Chenoweth, Dana Fox, Seth MacFarlane, Ryan Murphy, Harvey Weinstein and many others.

Anne Hathaway, Others, to Boycott Georgia

James Franco Explains His Gay(ish) Sexuality

James Franco further discusses his “obsession” with gay culture and queer topics in film in the latest issue of Rolling Stone, whose cover appropriately hails the interview as a look into “The Mystery of James Franco” and, more specifically, what drives him creatively.

Citing the countless queer narratives he’s worked on, from Milk to Interior. Leather. Bar., I Am Michael and The Broken Tower — and indirectly hinting at others, like the Straight James/Gay James book of poetry he published in December and the publicity he cooked up over a fake ’gay relationship’ with his best friend — the magazine attempts to find the source of James’ fascination with everything gay.

“When I was studying at NYU, I took classes in critical studies, and one of my favorites was on queer cinema,” James explained. “We’ve told the straight, heteronormative stories ad nauseam by now, in our movies, our shows, our commercials – everywhere. I think it’s healthy to make work that disrupts and questions that, and shows alternative narratives. That’s what an artist should do.”

James Franco Explains His Gay(ish) Sexuality

The Walking Dead to Join Georgia Boycott?

In a recent interview with Deadline, The Walking Dead‘s Norman Reedus (he plays fan favorite Daryl Dixon) shared his views on Georgia‘s governor Nathan Deal; yet another dissenting voice in Hollywood that pressured Deal to ultimately not sign The Free Exercise Protection Act.

If signed, the bill would have offered unprecedented protections to any faith-based business that felt like providing services to same-sex couples violates their religious faith.  The Walking Dead series films primarily in Georgia.

Several major studios, including Disney and Marvel, had threatened to stop all production work in Georgia if Deal signed the bill. Netflix promised to boycott Georgia if the bill passes, and Fox, Lionsgate, and Sony said they’d strongly consider doing the same.  $1.7 billion was spent on productions in Georgia in 2015 alone; 247 movie and television projects in all.

“I definitely think he shouldn’t sign it,” Reedus said, mere days before Deal ultimately announced he would not be signing. “I support the network and I support all the other companies that are against it. My fingers are crossed and I’m hoping for the best that he won’t sign it.”

The Walking Dead to Join Georgia Boycott?

13 Reasons Women In Lesbian Relationships Aren’t Having (More) Sex

Lesbian, bisexual and queer women spend a lot of time fretting over disproving certain stereotypes about our depraved lifestyles: that we U-Haul too quickly, that we process our feelings obsessively, that we jam to lesbian folk-rock music, that we still think cargo pants are cool. And, of course, that our relationships are so frumpy and sexless that they deserve their own macabre moniker: Lesbian Bed Death.

Lesbian Bed Death is usually discussed as an oft-ignored sign of a dull or dysfunctional relationship, one that has possibly passed its expiration date yet continues existing due to inertia and co-dependence. Yet all long-term monogamous relationships that involve women, even straight ones, are prone to some kind of so-called “bed death.” As Emily Nagoski explicates in this piece about the difference between responsive and spontaneous desire, “when you use male standards to assess ALL sexuality, shit goes to hell.”

88% of our Sex Survey respondents said that in an ideal world, they’d be having sex multiple times a week or more. In reality, only 38.8% of those in relationships are having sex that much. We also found that only 8% of respondents having sex once a month or less were unhappy in their relationships.

13 Reasons Women In Lesbian Relationships Aren’t Having (More) Sex

Liberal Groups Sue North Carolina Over Transgender Bathroom Law

Gay rights advocates advanced a fight in one state on Monday, just as they scored a victory in another.

The American Civil Liberties Union, Lambda Legal and Equality North Carolina sued that state over a measure that they described in the suit as “explicitly writing discrimination against transgender people into state law,” while Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal (R) vetoed a hard-fought bill that gay rights advocates described in the same language.

At issue in North Carolina is a measure introduced, voted on and signed into law in a single day last week overriding a recently passed Charlotte city ordinance expanding civil rights protections on the basis of marital status, sexual orientation and gender identity or expression and allowing transgender people to use bathrooms aligned with their gender identity.

Proponents of the new law were particularly vocal about their opposition to the transgender bathroom rights granted by that city measure.  “The basic expectation of privacy in the most personal of settings, a restroom or locker room, for each gender was violated by government overreach and intrusion by the mayor and city council of Charlotte,” by Gov. Pat McCrory (R) said in a statement when he signed the law last Wednesday.

Liberal Groups Sue North Carolina Over Transgender Bathroom Law

Transgender and Mormon: A Growing Movement That's Fighting for Acceptance

At age 13, Emmett Claren used to lie in the middle of a football field behind his house, look up at the sky and beg God to strike him with lightning and change his body. “I would tell him, ‘I have a lot of faith. I believe in you. I know you can do anything,’” Claren, now 22, recalled.

The Utah resident and member of the Mormon church is a transgender man, which means he was assigned female at birth, but knew since he was a young child that he identified as male – even though he didn’t learn the term “transgender” until many years later.

“‘Just change me to a boy right now,’” Claren said he would ask God every day. But his prayers went unanswered.  After wrestling with his faith and identity for years, struggling through periods of severe mental anguish, he came out as transgender at age 21 and is now pushing the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to welcome transgender members.

Claren is part of a growing movement of trans Mormons in Utah publicly fighting for acceptance in a conservative church that has long alienated LGBT people.

Transgender and Mormon: A Growing Movement That's Fighting for Acceptance

Forum Financial Update

BBM Forum Financials

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 06:20:30 PM »

Tuesday, April 5th, 2016

Dream Boy Discussion Has Begun

Have you seen  this movie?  Want to discuss it?  Want to watch it?  A discussion has begun, so please feel free to join us!

Have You Seen Dream Boy?

Ang Lee Slams Oscars Over Chris Rock's 'Racist' Joke About East Asians

The two-time Oscar-winning director Ang Lee is among a host of east Asian Hollywood talent who have written a letter to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) protesting at this year’s Oscar ceremony’s “tone-deaf” attitude to their race, according to Variety.

Lee, from Taiwan, joined a number of signees, including actors Sandra Oh (Canadian, of Korean descent) and George Takei (American, of Japanese descent), in criticising AMPAS for including in this year’s Oscar show jokes based on racial stereotyping. In the later stages of the broadcast, host Chris Rock introduced “the accountants” who had tabulated the Oscars results. They were three children of east Asian descent called “Ming Zhu, Bao Ling, and David Moskowitz”. “If anyone is upset about that joke you can tweet about it on your phone, which was also made by these kids,” he said.

“We are writing as Academy members of Asian descent to express our complete surprise and disappointment with the targeting of Asians at the 88th Oscars telecast and its perpetuation of racist stereotypes,” said the protesters in their letter, which was addressed to AMPAS president Cheryl Boone Isaacs, CEO Dawn Hudson, and ceremony producers Reginald Hudlin and David Hill.

Ang Lee Slams Oscars Over Chris Rock's 'Racist' Joke About East Asians

Los Angeles Father Accused of Killing Son Because He Was Gay

The father threatened repeatedly to kill his son because he was gay.  Then he allegedly did so this week.

Shehada Khalil Issa, 69, was charged with using a shotgun in the premeditated murder of his son, Amir Issa, 38, Los Angeles County prosecutors said.  The mother also was found dead inside the family home in the North Hills neighborhood of Los Angeles. She was stabbed "multiple times," police spokesman Mike Lopez said.  Her death is still under investigation; authorities didn't immediately release her name.

The son was allegedly shot outside of the house and had multiple gunshot wounds, Lopez said. Authorities haven't provided further details of the circumstances. Police responded to a 911 call Tuesday and discovered the bodies.

Investigators told the Los Angeles Daily News that Issa had initially said he found his dead wife in the bathroom of their house and had shot his son in self-defense after being threatened with a knife.
Later, Issa made "incriminating statements" and was subsequently charged with murder. A detective told the paper: "It was a horrible family tragedy."

Los Angeles Father Accused of Killing Son Because He Was Gay

The Gay Subtext of Batman & Robin

Let’s get one thing absolutely clear: Robin isn’t gay.

Don’t let the green Speedo and the pixie boots steer you wrong; Dick Grayson is as straight as uncooked spaghetti. In fact, there have been several Robins over the years, and not one of them has exhibited any trace of same-sex attraction or evinced anything resembling a queer self-identity.

Neither, it feels important to note here at the start, has Batman.

Don’t take my word for it. Ask anyone who’s written a Batman and Robin comic. Or, you know what, you don’t have to: Dollars to donuts they’ve already been asked that question, and have gone on record asserting the Dynamic Duo’s he-man, red-blooded, heterosexual bona fides. Batman’s co-creators, Bill Finger and Bob Kane, both firmly swatted the question down. So have writers like Frank Miller, Denny O’Neil, Alan Grant, and Devin Grayson—though Grayson admitted that she could “understand the gay readings.”

The Gay Subtext of Batman & Robin

Anderson Cooper’s Mom Comes Clean on Lesbian Fling

You would think nothing could shock globe-trotting newsman Anderson Cooper — but the CNN anchor was left flabbergasted when his mother revealed during a magazine interview that she once had a lesbian fling.  “What? Hello!” exclaimed Cooper as he sat beside his mom — 92-year-old fashion icon Gloria Vanderbilt — during a talk with People and Entertainment Weekly at his Manhattan home.

Cooper was especially shocked because he co-authored a book with his mother. “This is news to me,” he said. “You didn’t mention this in the book, Mom!”

Vanderbilt said her affair happened at Connecticut’s Miss Porter’s School, a posh academy where alumni include Jackie Kennedy Onassis and President George HW Bush’s mother, Dorothy.

“I went through a brief so-called lesbian relationship with a girl in school,” Vanderbilt said.  “Cynthia, her name was, and she came once to visit my aunt in New York on holiday."

Anderson Cooper’s Mom Comes Clean on Lesbian Fling

The Islan Nettles Killing

Islan Nettles was just walking down the street moments before her life came to a brutal halt.  She and two friends, also transgender women, were making their way along a street in New York’s Harlem in 2013 when they encountered a group of around seven men. The two parties soon got into a dispute, according to police reports, and Nettles was slammed to the ground.

A series of relentless blows left the 21-year-old African American comatose, her face battered beyond recognition. The following week, she died.

Immediately, reports swirled about the circumstances of Nettles’s slaying — allegedly, the violence had begun after the men learned she was transgender, and homophobic slurs were uttered as she crumpled to the ground — and transgender activists were galvanized.  It appeared that, once again, another transgender woman of color had been targeted, this time to fatal effect. For all the transgender women who had long feared the demise that Nettles suffered, her death confirmed what they already knew: that their identities meant security was far from assured.

“Islan isn’t the first death of a transgender woman of color, and she’s not going to be the last,” transgender writer and activist Janet Mock told Out Magazine. “I’m at risk every day myself just walking the streets of New York City. We all are.”

The Islan Nettles Killing

Caitlyn Jenner to Appear on 'Transparent' Season 3

Keeping up with the Pfeffermans! Transparent creator Jill Soloway revealed during an interview at the GLAAD Media Awards on Saturday, April 2, that Caitlyn Jenner is joining the Emmy-winning Amazon series, the Associated Press reports.  Details of the I Am Cait star's role have not yet been unveiled, but Soloway said that the reality-TV mainstay will start filming her season 3 scenes later this month.

"We are all part of the same community — a lot of the trans women who work on our show are also in her show, I Am Cait," Soloway said. "Lots of crossover. Lots of friends.".

Transparent and I Am Cait were among the big winners at Saturday's ceremony, which was held at the Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills. Transparent — which stars Jeffrey Tambor as retired professor Marla Pfefferman — nabbed the prize for best comedy series, while Cait tied with TLC's I Am Jazz for best reality program.

Decorated Olympian Jenner has dabbled in acting over the years, including a recurring role — then known as Bruce Jenner — on the 1980s cop series CHiPs, not to mention a bevy of TV commercials, such as a long-running Tropicana spokesperson gig. Recently, she is best known for her appearances on E!'s Keeping Up With the Kardashians and her eponymous spinoff.

Caitlyn Jenner to Appear on 'Transparent' Season 3

Forum Financial Update

BBM Forum Financials

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 09:25:04 PM »

Tuesday, April 12th, 2016

Congratulations to Anne Hathaway and Adam Shulman

Anne Hathaway and husband Adam Shulman just welcomed their new child: a baby boy named Jonathan Rosebanks Shulman. Hathaway gave birth to the boy the morning of March 24, and she spent time surrounded by family and loved ones before announcing the big news late last night. This is the couple’s first child.

“The baby is extremely healthy and is surrounded by friends and family in L.A.,” a source close to the couple reportedly told E!. “Anne and Adam are ecstatic to be parents.” And the couple gave the baby’s middle name some serious thought before landing on the unique “Rosebanks.” According to E!, Rosebanks is a combination of Roseline—the name of Hathaway’s paternal grandfather—and Banks—Shulman’s middle name and mother’s maiden name, making it a creative celebration of the baby’s heritage.

Hathaway had never been shy about her desire to become a parent. “I want to be a mother, and I anticipate loving my children quite fiercely,” she told Vogue in an interview in November 2012. “I think about it all the time. [but] it’s a silly thing to think about, because the kind of mother I’ll be depends on the kind of children I have. I can’t wait to meet them.” Not even four years later, Hathaway’s dreams of motherhood have come true—much to her and Shulman’s delight.

Congratulations to Anne Hathaway and Adam Shulman

Bruce Springsteen Cancels N.C. Show

The LBGT community in North Carolina just got a big show of solidarity from none other than Bruce Springsteen.

The rock icon announced Friday on his official website that he is canceling Sunday's scheduled show in Greensboro to protest the state's newly passed House Bill 2 — dubbed the  "bathroom law" — which dictates which public restrooms may be used by transgender individuals and prevents LGBT individuals to sue over human rights violations in the workplace.

"Taking all of this into account," he wrote, "I feel that this is a time for me and the band to show solidarity for those freedom fighters. As a result, and with deepest apologies to our dedicated fans in Greensboro, we have canceled our show scheduled for Sunday, April 10th."

As Springsteen asked fans' forgiveness, he urged them to see the bigger picture.  "Some things are more important than a rock show and this fight against prejudice and bigotry — which is happening as I write — is one of them," he observed. "It is the strongest means I have for raising my voice in opposition to those who continue to push us backwards instead of forwards."

Bruce Springsteen Cancels N.C. Show

Singer Bryan Adams Cancels Mississippi Show

Canadian singer Bryan Adams has canceled a show in Mississippi to protest a new state law that will let people with religious objections deny services to same-sex couples, the second major concert scrapped in the U.S. South over discrimination concerns.  On Friday, rock star Bruce Springsteen called off a weekend concert in North Carolina to show his opposition to a new law there barring transgender people from choosing bathrooms consistent with their gender identity.

The cancellations come as U.S. states consider legislation seen as restricting lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender rights. Supporters of the measures say they are needed to keep women and children safe in restrooms and to protect religious freedom after a U.S. Supreme Court ruling last year legalized same-sex marriage.

Adams, who was set to perform on Thursday at the Mississippi Coast Coliseum in Biloxi, called the state's measure "extremely discriminatory."  "I cannot in good conscience perform in a state where certain people are being denied their civil rights due to their sexual orientation," Adams wrote on his website.

Singer Bryan Adams Cancels Mississippi Show

Lesbian Teen Asked to Prove Gender, Ejected From McDonald’s

16-year-old Ny Richardson was asked to prove her gender when a staff member saw her enter the women’s toilets.

Richardson, who was visiting a Hull branch alongside her girlfriend told Yahoo: “I ordered my food and left it with my girlfriend as I went to the toilet.  “When I was in there, someone told me to get out and when I sat back down, the manager came over and told me that I needed to leave because I have been in the girls’ toilet.”  She responded: “I said to him, ‘Why do I need to leave? I’m a girl, can you not tell by my voice?’  “He then asked me to show some ID, but when I didn’t have any he told me to get out and he rang the police.”

The lesbian has said she was “humiliated in front of the whole restaurant”, and that she is “still angry” about his attitude.  According to the restaurant, Richardson was one of a number of “disruptive” customers who were asked to leave the branch on Tuesday.  Police have confirmed that they were called to the branch after an argument between staff and a group of teenagers.  But Richardson has said she was not part of that group, and that this was the first time she was treated unfairly because of her appearance.

Lesbian Teen Asked to Prove Gender, Ejected From McDonald’s

Argentina Lesbians Tie Knot in First for Latin America Jews

The first Jewish same-sex wedding ceremony in Latin America was celebrated in Buenos Aires.

The ceremony took place on Sunday evening at NCI Emanu El Temple of Buenos Aires. It was officiated by a female rabbi, Rabbi Karina Finkielstein.  Victoria Escobar, 36, who is a convert to Judaism, and Romina Charur, 35, together entered the synagogue filled with their 300 guests. The rabbi waited for the brides and conducted them to the chuppah. Less than one hour later, Finkelstein read in Hebrew from the ketubah, or marriage contract, that consecrated the wedding between “Shirly daughter of Rafael and Ruth” (Charur) and “Ruth, daughter of Abraham and Sarah” (Escobar).  The couple was married in a civil ceremony in 2014.

The rabbi spoke under the chuppah about the couple and how about two years ago they began to participate actively in the NCI community, including taking courses in parallel, such as introduction to Judaism, Torah, and Talmud. The rabbi also spoke of the demanding Beit Din that Escobar faced, which approved her conversion

Argentina Lesbians Tie Knot in First for Latin America Jews

Prison is Horrifying. For Transgender People, it's Hell.

Samantha Hill prayed to God that it would finally end — even if it ended with her death.

It had been almost 10 days since Hill, a transgender woman, was placed in an isolated federal prison cell with the man who would rape her — a member of the Latin Kings gang. In those 10 days, he had physically attacked her and sexually assaulted her multiple times. In a secluded, small special housing unit — typically used for solitary confinement — no one acted on her screams for help.

But in what she calls a miracle, Hill's prayer was answered the next day: She would be freed from the cell, eventually taken away from her rapist.

Still, she would not be free from such attacks for long — soon after, the federal prison system put her in another cell in another facility with another male inmate who once again sexually assaulted her. And this wasn't the first time Hill went through this cycle — before the Latin Kings member became her cellmate, she was sexually assaulted at least four times.

Altogether, it took at least eight sexual assaults across five federal prisons throughout the country and the threat of a lawsuit for the federal prison system to finally move Hill to a safe facility.

Prison is Horrifying. For Transgender People, it's Hell.

Library Employee's Plea for Transgender Insurance Ignored

Rachel Dovel legally changed her name from Nathan last year, came out to her co-workers and was ready for the surgery that would allow her to live what she felt was a more authentic life as a woman.

But her elation was short lived. Her employer, the Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County, doesn't offer insurance for gender confirmation surgery and when she asked if they would change their policy, the library board unanimously voted against making a change.

"It’s very disconcerting to wake up every morning, see my body and know that it’s not lined up with my head," said Dovel, 33, of Clifton Heights. "That has caused me a lot of depression over the years. It’s something I'm trying very hard to fix. I cannot do it on my own."

Dovel expects the surgery to cost roughly $25,000.

The library board is set to discuss the matter again Tuesday. A library spokesman declined to comment until after the meeting.

Library Employee's Plea for Transgender Insurance Ignored

Forum Financial Update

BBM Forum Financials

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 06:46:07 PM »

Tuesday, April 19th, 2016

Heath Ledger As A Director

As we remember the life and work of actor Heath Ledger on what would have been his 37th birthday, the scene-stealing star of such films as "The Dark Knight" and "10 Things I Hate About You" was working toward a career that would have brought him out of the spotlight.

When Ledger passed away Jan. 22, 2008, due to an accidental overdose of prescription medication, he had not yet fulfilled his ambition to direct a feature film. However, he had been sharpening his teeth by directing music videos, following a path laid by such prolific directors as Spike Jonze, David Fincher and Michel Gondry.

To mark the occasion, here is a review/discussion of Ledger's largely unrenowned adventures behind the camera.  Click the link below to be taken to a page with the music videos that Heath Ledger directed.

Heath Ledger As A Director

The Gay Men Who Carried Madonna

In the 1991 movie Madonna: Truth or Dare, the titular superstar plays the role of her lifetime: herself. Filmed during her 1990 Blond Ambition tour when the then-31-year-old pop star was at her commercial peak, the Alek Keshishian-directed concert film/backstage documentary finds Madonna reveling in the cult of her personality. “She doesn’t want to live off-camera, much less talk,” her then-boyfriend Warren Beatty remarks in one scene, delivering a perfect capsule review. Seemingly baring all, at least in terms of her personality’s facets, she is unafraid to come off as a demanding asshole, just as often as she promotes the idea that she’s the nurturing mother in the “family” of employees that support her.

My worship of Madonna was why, at age 12, I bought a ticket to Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and attempted to sneak into the theater playing Truth or Dare. Management found me and forced me to sit through Kevin Costner’s other bland performance of 1991 (he briefly appears in Truth or Dare to declare the Blond Ambition Tour “neat”). Madonna’s the hook that got me into the movie, but when I finally saw the movie after it came out on video, the depiction of her dancers left a richer impression on my young mind. Truth or Dare was my first exposure to a group of openly gay men merely existing. They hang out backstage, they bond, they gossip, they laugh, and at one point, during a climactic game of “truth or dare,” two of them make out on a dare.

The Gay Men Who Carried Madonna

Behind the Scenes of Cincinnati's Gay Opera

When it comes to an opera dedicated to a male love story, Fellow Travelers is one of the first. But just because it’s a “gay opera” doesn’t mean it isn’t for all audiences. Composed by Gregory Spears and librettist Greg Pierce, Fellow Travelers hopes to carve a new, welcome space within the treasured art form.

Based on the novel by Thomas Mallon, Fellow Travelers tells the story of a young aspiring journalist, Timothy Laughlin (Aaron Blake), and a handsome, profligate State Department official, Hawkins Fuller (Joseph Lattanzi). The characters are brought together by a chance encounter, which soon leads to a love affair. Themes of politics, religion, and same-sex relations are examined before a stunning act of betrayal occurs.

Blake has been described as “a vocal powerhouse” by the Los Angeles Times and Lattanzi has been praised by Opera News for bringing a “fresh, bright baritone voice” to the stage. Click the link below to read an interview with both performers to learn more about the production.

Behind the Scenes of Cincinnati's Gay Opera

Israeli Singer Asaf Averbuch Comes Out As Bisexual

"To accept yourself and love yourself just as you are is a daily struggle that never ends," wrote Asaf Averbuch on his Facebook page on Wednesday. "So hi, I'm Asaf and I'm bisexual. Or pansexual. Or gay, or delusional straight, or whatever you feel like calling me. I've already heard every definition possible and never felt like one definition or another is something I require in order to understand who I am. I'm only love, and I have one."

Averbuch's rise to fame began in 2005, after finishing his mandatory in an army band he founded himself at the auditions for "A Star is Born," Israel's version of 'American Idol.' His version of the song "Boey Nagid She'ani Shelach" ('Let's Say I'm Yours') brought him to the top 10 on the show. "I was in euphoria," he told Pnai Plus Magazine. "After three numbers on the show I couldn't walk on the streets. Good things and bad things happened following the show."

Following the show, Averbuch continued his career mostly in writing for other artists, as he was suffering from a disconnection between the image that was created for him from 'Israeli Idol' and his real personality and music. During that time, he also opened up to experiencing the indulgent life of Tel Aviv.

Israeli Singer Asaf Averbuch Comes Out As Bisexual

Disney’s ‘Once Upon a Time’ Features Lesbian ‘True Love’s Kiss’

Disney’s fairy-tale drama Once Upon a Time featured its first same-sex relationship during Sunday night’s episode, when Ruby (Meghan Ory) travels to the Underworld to track down and save Dorothy (Teri Reeves) from the villainous Wicked Witch (Rebecca Mader).

ABC has been a trailblazer in depicting LGBT relationships onscreen. In 2015, the network’s popular family show, The Fosters, aired television’s youngest-ever homosexual kiss between two 13-year-old boys. The network is currently developing When We Rise, a miniseries chronicling the rise of the gay rights movement in the United States, with Guy Pearce and Mary-Louise Parker set to star.

Once Upon a Time‘s LGBT storyline comes as controversy has erupted over other television shows’ portrayal of LGBT characters, particularly CW’s The 100 & AMC's The Walking Dead, both of which killed off a popular lesbian character with little warning earlier this year.

A number of other television shows have featured lesbian relationships this season, including Empire and How to Get Away with Murder. Last month, a producer of the upcoming Xena: Warrior Princess remake revealed that the character will be gay in the new series.

Disney’s ‘Once Upon a Time’ Features Lesbian ‘True Love’s Kiss’

Transgender Woman Found Dead, Beaten in Maryland Hotel Room

The person found dead this weekend in a hotel room in Rockville, Maryland was a transgender woman who may have been working as a prostitute, police said. Keyonna Blakeney, 22, was found dead, with trauma to the upper body, in a room of the Red Roof Inn on Shady Grove Road, Montgomery County police said.

Blakeney's body was found about 11:50 a.m. Saturday. Police said they believe she was killed early that morning and ruled her death a homicide.   Court records show Blakeney was arrested at a hotel in Capitol Heights, Maryland, on April 3 and charged with committing a third-degree sex offense against a 14-year-old boy. Additional information on that alleged crime was not available immediately.

Blakeney's Facebook page says she was from Upper Marlboro, attended Bowie State University and celebrated her birthday just days before she was killed. She worked as a makeup artist, the profile says.

Transgender Woman Found Dead, Beaten in Maryland Hotel Room

Garcetti Pledges Support To Transgender Community

Mayor Eric Garcetti signed a pledged Monday saying he will work to protect the rights of transgender people as a member of a coalition promoting awareness about transgender issues and challenges across the state.

“Our tax dollars won’t fund intolerance here,” he said at a rally outside Los Angeles City Hall to launch the Transform California campaign to oppose discriminatory practices against transgender people.

The Transform California coalition — founded by the Equality California and the Transgender Law Center — will hold rallies around the state that include participation by civil rights groups, members of the business community and elected officials.

Other local leaders who have signed up to the pledge include Gary Toebben, president of the Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce, and state Senate President pro Tempore Kevin de Leon, D-Los Angeles, who was not at today’s event.

Garcetti Pledges Support To Transgender Community

Forum Financial Update

BBM Forum Financials

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name