The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: "Stronger" discussion thread - Spoilers allowed  (Read 2245 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: "Stronger" discussion thread - Spoilers allowed
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2017, 10:03:19 AM »
I'd agree with people possibly not being in the mood for it. Besides this week, we just had weeks of devastating hurricane coverage.
Blade Runner isn't out yet, though, so it can't be that.  It also opened on a day when ten other movies opened!

Oddly, this summer has had a lot of good movies out in all types of genres and it's the lowest box office summer in 15 years, I believe. Jimmy Kimmel asked that question in one of his On the Street segments about why people didn't go to the movies this summer and a whopping percentage all mentioned that it was just too expensive. Plus, it's kind of weird to me all these higher profile movies that are opening in September and new TV series are also starting. People can stay home, no? I mentioned on another thread there's a movie about the firemen who were lost in a horrific brush fire. I'm not sure people are in the mood for all these things.

Also, critical reviews do not a good movie make. The Florida Project currently is the critics darling and if I'd paid $15 or more dollars to see that
I would NOT have been very happy.

Also, what I mean by "Also, critical reviews do not a good movie make."  Film critics see sooo many films and like an iceberg, most of them are under water. If you've ever noticed, critics often like a movie that is completely different, even if most people probably wouldn't. And other perfectly good films they'll trash because they're a lot like everything else they're watching. It's like eating vanilla ice cream a couple times a day nearly every day. All of a sudden there's a chocolate ice cream cone and they love it, even though the vanilla is still perfectly good ice cream and the chocolate is just chocolate.

If that makes sense.

I haven't seen it yet, either, and I want to. I hope it stays around long enough that I don't miss it.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2017, 11:24:55 AM »
IMHO, I don't think Jake cares if a film of his makes a ton of money, or loses money. He seems to care if the storyline, or his character, reached out and touched someone, somehow, or added to the storyline. He seems to be a person, or an actor, who focuses on how he, or his character made you FEEL! Like I always say: "You may not remember incidents/encounters in your Life, or exactly the WORDS someone said, but you will ALWAYS remember how it, or they, made you FEEL at that moment. You never lose that recall.......... ;D

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2017, 02:02:27 PM »
Two reasons maybe. Firstly it's up against "Blade Runner 2049" and secondly after Las Vegas nobody's in the mood for more horror and suffering. It looks like unfortunate timing.

I know there's more important things to worry about, but once again we're wondering why a Jake film doesn't do well. 'Demolition' (which I love) is another example - and some recent others underperformed as well, despite lots of positive reviews  :(

I don't know what it is. It's not like he's doing bad work. What do people want of him? A romcom?
Chaos is order yet undeciphered.

Offline UltraViolet

• Obsessed
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2017, 02:11:02 PM »
Unfortunately the secret to box office success is still that - a secret. Except for certain franchise/superhero movies, nothing is a sure bet. Not only does Stronger have critical acclaim it has audience approval: an A-Cinemascore and a 89% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes.

Strategically, it probably should have been released either in fewer theaters, building up to a wide release or later in "awards season" to get some of that prestige business. But the weekends are getting more and more stacked with releases, so it's hard to find a good spot.

I think the studio might have been surprised by the near-universal positive reception and didn't know what to do with it.

I hope it does well in the slow European release and somehow hangs in for year-end awards.
Q: Your fans seem to worry that you're not happy. Are you happy?
Jake:  I would say, "Stop worrying about me and ask yourself."

Offline UltraViolet

• Obsessed
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2017, 02:13:55 PM »
I went through the thread, has anyone seen the film yet?

I saw it at the Toronto Film Festival. I think it's a great movie, and Jake is wonderful in it. As a Jake fan and a Bostonian, I might have a bias. But it was well received there and again in Boston when I saw it last week.

It's a hard movie to say you enjoyed, since it's a harrowing subject. But it is certainly worth seeing.

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2017, 08:23:35 AM »
what's the box office total for Stronger so far? does anyone know? I think it cost around 30mil to make.......last I saw it was nowhere NEAR that total in receipts. Although I wasn't sure when it was being released internationally.........hmmmm?  :o

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2017, 10:13:19 AM »
Box Office Mojo has it at about $4,035,000 as of the 15th in 645 U.S. Theaters.
It doesn't say how many theaters it's in Worldwide, but that take is only $974,055.
Totaling approximately $5,008,000.

There was no lack of publicity on TV for this film. Jake and Jeff Bauman were on
nearly all the late night chat shows and some afternoon ones, too, like Ellen.  It's
my opinion that these kinds of movies, like Detroit, Crown Heights, Only the Brave,
that are based on some horrific events are just not the right films for audiences who
have been through hurricanes, earthquakes, wildfires, mass shooting attacks and the
daily presidential atrocities. Not only living through all these events actually, but on
the news. There's a sci-fi film coming out this week called Geostorm that's about
weather disasters. I'm not so sure anyone will want to see that now.  The most
recent film that's tapped into the current zeitgeist seems to be IT. A film that's
about dealing with the things that scare you.

Offline BlueAmber63

• Expert
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2017, 07:24:36 PM »
There has been NOTHING about "Stronger" on British TV.
Why are we always left out in the cold ?  :(

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2017, 09:19:07 PM »
It costs 30mil to make and has only brought in 5 mil so far?? Long ways to go to break even........surely that's not ALL the US theaters, no?

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2017, 02:07:13 AM »

That's really annoying and exasperating.
WISE UP

Ing Kräddi Böll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

"And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that."

Offline janiebbmart

• Obsessed
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2017, 03:29:36 AM »

That's right Sue. There's been absolutely nothing at all.  >:D

Offline janiebbmart

• Obsessed
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2017, 03:35:22 AM »
Box Office Mojo has it at about $4,035,000 as of the 15th in 645 U.S. Theaters.
It doesn't say how many theaters it's in Worldwide, but that take is only $974,055.
Totaling approximately $5,008,000.

There was no lack of publicity on TV for this film. Jake and Jeff Bauman were on
nearly all the late night chat shows and some afternoon ones, too, like Ellen.  It's
my opinion that these kinds of movies, like Detroit, Crown Heights, Only the Brave,
that are based on some horrific events are just not the right films for audiences who
have been through hurricanes, earthquakes, wildfires, mass shooting attacks and the
daily presidential atrocities. Not only living through all these events actually, but on
the news.
There's a sci-fi film coming out this week called Geostorm that's about
weather disasters. I'm not so sure anyone will want to see that now.  The most
recent film that's tapped into the current zeitgeist seems to be IT. A film that's
about dealing with the things that scare you.

I agree with you Lyle. Everyone has complete "disaster fatigue" by now, which is such a shame for Jake. I haven't seen "Stronger" yet but I believe it's a good performance. Like I said before it's unfortunately timed.

Offline UltraViolet

• Obsessed
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2017, 07:02:06 PM »

It doesn't open until December in the UK, suely. Hopefully Jake will come back to do some promotion.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2017, 02:35:34 PM »
It doesn't open until December in the UK, suely.

Remember 'Enemy'?

Practically the whole world had it in Spring 2014, Britain (and Ireland) had to wait until January 2015. I had bought the DVD by then  ::)

Speaking of DVD, 'Stronger' will be released on DVD on December 19 - Jake's birthday  ;D  I guess that's USA only for now.

I'm very sorry to say I haven't had the time to go see 'Stronger'. Too much other stuff going on in my life right now and I just feel like I need to wait a bit to be able to fully appreciate the movie and Jake's performance.

Some Dutch reviews called 'Stronger' "too American", "too patriotic" and "too sentimental". Given the story, I guess that's understandable. Or maybe us Dutchies are just too level-headed.

Everyone has complete "disaster fatigue" by now, which is such a shame for Jake. Like I said before it's unfortunately timed.

That goes for a lot of movies, I suppose. The world seems such a strange and hostile place these days  :(
Chaos is order yet undeciphered.

Offline BlueAmber63

• Expert
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2017, 06:54:00 PM »
It doesn 't open until December in the UK, suely. Hopefully Jake will come back to do some promotion.

Oh ! :">   :D

I had checked the release date for Britain. I thought it was sorta some time mid November. Feeling sure
we would have heard/seen something about the movie.

Thanks for the info UV.