The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet May - August 2016  (Read 3762 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: The Daily Sheet May - August 2016
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 08:41:14 PM »

Tuesday, August 23rd, 2016

Kim Ledger to Talk Drug Misuse in NZ

When Oscar-winning actor Heath Ledger, star of The Dark Knight and Brokeback Mountain, died from an accidental drug overdose in 2008, his father Kim Ledger was certain that what happened was "part of a massive picture."  It was determined that Heath Ledger had ingested a fatal combination of sleeping pills with opioids, dying in his sleep.

This has motivated Mr Ledger to speak out against prescription drugs, and he will be coming to New Zealand to campaign against the misuse of them.  "I came to the understanding that something absolutely positive needs to come out of this," his father said.

Scriptwise, the Australian group of which Kim Ledger is a patron of, was formed to help prevent the misuse of prescription medication. They aim to raise awareness about the seriousness of the issue.

Kim Ledger to Talk Drug Misuse in NZ

'Gay Zombies' Face $104 Million Lawsuit

A group of antigay activists who marched as marijuana-loving “gay zombies” in Pride Toronto are being sued for disseminating “hate speech.”

William Whatcott and his supporters had participated in the pro-LGBT parade in July by registering under the fake name Gay Zombies Cannabis Consumers Association.  The group, wearing green bodysuits and rainbow accessories, passed out antigay pamphlets to Pride attendees. Disguised as condoms, the literature contained misinformation about the health hazards of gay sex as well as graphic images of sexually transmitted infections and an AIDS-related death.

In response, Ontario’s former deputy premier, George Smitherman, and local bar owner Christopher Hudspeth are suing the group for $104 million. The lawsuit is being handled by Cambridge LLP and was filed by one of its out attorneys, Douglas Elliott.  Hudspeth, the owner of Pegasus on Church, expressed his indignation at Whatcott and his ruse at a recent press conference in Ottawa.

'Gay Zombies' Face $104 Million Lawsuit

Secret Gay Language Has Gone Mainstream in the Philippines

Three years ago, after Wil Dasovich completed his bachelor's degree at California Polytechnic State University, he did what many young graduates do: He planned a several-month-long backpacking trip abroad. The only difference is that Dasovich never returned to the United States.  Instead, after traveling through Indonesia and Singapore, he was scouted for commercial modeling in Manila. He decided to stay, and soon found himself working his way up the ranks of the Philippines' entertainment industry. Half Filipino, he realized he wanted to connect with his roots on a deeper level.

"I figured I might as well immerse myself in the culture. It was a bucket-list thing," he told VICE. "My entire life I wanted to speak Filipino—since I am Filipino—so I thought this was an opportunity to learn it."  Dasovich began picking up bits of Tagalog (also called Filipino), the country's first official language, listening closely to conversations and repeating things he heard his friends say. This, however, wasn't nearly as straightforward a method as he imagined.

Secret Gay Language Has Gone Mainstream in the Philippines

Nicola Adams Defends Title Winning Gold at Rio

The first out LGBTQ boxer to win Olympic gold has done it again. Out bisexual boxer Nicola Adams brought home her second gold for Team Great Britain in the flyweight, beating France‘s Sarah Ourahmoune, PinkNews reports.  Adams became a household name in the United Kingdom after her 2012 win, and came out as bisexual the following year — though she’d really prefer to avoid the labels.

“I worried about how everyone would react, so I used to say I was single, rather than say I was with a girl,” she told Marie Claire in 2014. “I felt like I was lying all the time. I didn’t like living like that so, in the end, I thought, ‘Well, this is who I am. It’s not as if I can stop it.’”  Her courage in and out of the ring earned her the top spot on the Independent of Sunday’s Pink List of influential LGBTQ people.

This time around, Adams seems more self-assured.

Nicola Adams Defends Title Winning Gold at Rio

Gay Pastor Agrees to Leave Her Post at Johnson County Church

On a cold Sunday in January, Cynthia Meyer, pastor at Edgerton United Methodist Church, came out to her congregation.  She did so with hope that change regarding the denomination’s stance on homosexuality was coming. But eight months later, that hope, for now at least, is gone. And after the end of August, Meyer will be gone as well.  To avoid a church trial, Meyer and Methodist officials agreed that she would give up her duties and go on involuntary leave. Her final sermon in Edgerton in Johnson County will be Aug. 28.

On Wednesday, she said she was glad to avoid a trial, which could have resulted in her losing her credentials to ever pastor again. Meanwhile, she plans to work in lay ministry or for a nonprofit as she continues to hope for a policy change in the denomination’s Book of Discipline so she can return to the pulpit.

“I don’t think God is done with me yet,” she said.

Gay Pastor Agrees to Leave Her Post at Johnson County Church

Transgender Student Gives Personal Account of Controversial Issue

“It would make me feel embarrassed, scared, nervous."  This is how 10-year-old Trevor Shane Baize says using the girls' bathroom makes him feel. Biologically, Trevor was born female, named Felicity. By the time he was 9, however, Trevor started identifying as a boy.

"I'm just afraid what will happen," said Trevor when asked about the possibility of changes to federal guidelines that would force transgender students to use the bathroom matching their biological sex. When it comes to using the girls' bathroom, he says, “I wouldn't want anyone seeing me this way.”

A U.S. District Judge issued an injunction late Sunday night in the case of the Texas vs. U.S.A on behalf of the Harrold Independent School District. That injunction blocks transgendered students from accessing restrooms and locker rooms of the gender with which they identify until the court can make an official decision.

Melissa Baize, Trevor's mother, says the challenges her son faces as a transgender boy are hard enough.  “He's not just a piece of paper that you can sign off on and say, 'who cares?' He's more than that," Melissa said.

Transgender Student Gives Personal Account of Controversial Issue

This Genderqueer Model Has Got the Best Answer to ‘Do You Pose as a Woman or a Man?’

Transgender fashion model Rain Dove has opened up in a new interview about modelling both men’s and women’s collections.  Standing tall at 6’2″, Dove identifies as genderqueer, and models both men’s and womenswear, but doesn’t see it that way.

Speaking to NBC OUT, Dove says: “When I model, I don’t model as a man or a woman. I model as just me in this body. I’m just trying to fit an artistic aesthetic.”  “My body is not who I am. You could cut off my arm, you could take my genitals, you could take my organs, and I’d still be [me],” Dove adds.

Having grown up in Vermont and having briefly been a firefighter, Dove says she has been pepper-sprayed three times in women’s restrooms.  She has also been tasered.

This Genderqueer Model Has Got the Best Answer to ‘Do You Pose as a Woman or a Man?’

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum.

Today's edition by KillersMom, CellarDweller115

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to CellarDweller115.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
Re: The Daily Sheet May - August 2016
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 08:28:47 AM »

Tuesday, August 30th, 2016

Pedro Almodóvar, Brokeback Mountain, and "More Sex"

Pedro Almodóvar will soon be back in theaters with “Julieta,” which premiered at Cannes this year. The Oscar-winning luminary of Spanish cinema has other projects on his mind, he explains on the latest edition of the Empire podcast, including one that will never see the light of day: “Brokeback Mountain,” which he was originally offered the chance to direct before Ang Lee took over the reins instead.

“More sex, more sex” is how Almodóvar describes his take on the material, which is adapted from Annie Proulx’s short story of the same name. “And it’s not gratuitous,” he quickly clarifies. “The Annie Proulx is about a physical relation, an animal relation, so sex is necessary because it is the body of the story.” Almodóvar doesn’t think he could have made it the way he wanted to in Hollywood, however — “it seems to me I could do that in Europe,” he adds.

Still, his conception of the project has been hard to shake. “I always had the image: these two guys start making love to each other like the animals that they were taking care of,” which the filmmaker describes as “almost a way to survive in the mountains.” He’s enthusiastic in his admiration of Lee’s version, despite how much he wishes he’d been able to make it his own way.

This is being discussed in the Brokeback Mountain General Discussion thread.  Feel free to join in there!

Pedro Almodóvar, Brokeback Mountain, and "More Sex"

LGBT Homeless Youth Residence Named After Bea Arthur

Last month was the 30th anniversary of NBC’s Golden Girls—it also marked the beginning of construction on the Bea Arthur Residence, an 18-bed home for homeless LGBT youth operated by New York’s Ali Forney Center.  Arthur was long a supporter of LGBT rights, especially when it came to young people.  A reported 40% of homeless youth nationwide are LGBT—in New York alone, its estimated there are 20,000 homeless youth under the age of 24.

“These kids at the Ali Forney Center are literally dumped by their families because of the fact that they are lesbian, gay or transgender,” she said at a center benefit in 2005, one of her finale public performances.  “This organization really is saving lives.” 

When Arthur died in 2009, she bequeathed $300,000 to Ali Forney.  Moved by her generosity, executive Director Carl Siciliano pledged that the first building they owned outright would be named in her memory.

LGBT Homeless Youth Residence Named After Bea Arthur

Finding Prince Charming

If you’ve felt stood up by network TV’s Bachelor and Bachelorette straights-only shows, then mark your calendars and set your DVRs for September 8, to see if 33-year-old interior designer Robert Sepulveda finds love on America’s first gay dating competition reality show.

Logo’s Finding Prince Charming is hosted by out former ‘NSYNC band member Lance Bass, who will help Sepulveda winnow down his 13 dashing suitors to one lucky man. And from the looks of the trailer, they bring a lot of drama to this show, including when one man declares, “I’m calling the cops! I’m calling the cops!”  Just like in those popular ABC shows, the contestants will live together in a spectacular mansion and take turns trying to impress the man who decides who stays and who goes home. But unlike those programs, Finding Prince Charming is a powderkeg of same-sex attraction in which the contestants could be — potentially — hooking up themselves.

Sepulveda — described by one of the dudes as the “real life James Bond” is a native of Puerto Rico who lives in Atlanta and owns a luxury design firm. He’s also founded Atlanta Rainbow Crosswalks, which is an LGBTQ civil arts project that spreads awareness of diversity and equality through public art and community outreach..

Finding Prince Charming

Bisexual Men Make the Best Lovers

This just in: bisexual men make the best lovers… At least, according to heterosexual women.

A new study has found that bi guys are some of the most sexually attentive and emotionally available men out there.

The study was led by Dr. Maria Pallotta-Chiarolli at the Deakin School of Health and Social Development in Australia. 78 women, ranging from ages 16 to 65 years, participated in the survey. They all came from a variety of cultural, sexual, and geographical backgrounds, but they each had one thing in common: they had all been in a serious romantic relationship with at least one bisexual man at some point in their lives.

“These mixed-orientation relationships, or what I call MOREs, sit outside the boundaries of what many may consider a ‘normal’ relationship, whether it’s straight or gay,” Pallotta-Chiarolli said.  “What the research has shown is that they are very real and valid and deserve our attention, support and understanding.”

Bisexual Men Make the Best Lovers

Feds Spend $911,056 Studying the Drinking Habits of Lesbian Couples

The National Institutes of Health is spending nearly $1 million on a study of lesbian couples to see if stress makes them drink too much.  The grant awarded to Old Dominion University will involve lesbians filling out daily diaries about their romantic relationships to determine what causes them to drink.

“Sexual minority women (i.e., women who self-identify as lesbian and bisexual) report more heavy drinking, more alcohol-related problems, and higher rates of alcohol use disorders as compared to heterosexual women,” according to the grant for the study. “Young sexual minority women are particularly vulnerable.”

The researchers contend that no one has ever studied the relationships of lesbian couples and their drinking habits.

“Despite this awareness, no studies have examined how relationship factors and partners’ alcohol use contribute to hazardous drinking among female sexual minority couples,” the grant said.

Feds Spend $911,056 Studying the Drinking Habits of Lesbian Couples

Transgender Swimming

The familiar smell of chlorinated water. The feeling of cool air against unclothed skin. The cacophony of laughter, splashes and sharp intakes of breath. And, the nervous feeling in the pit of your stomach as you take the plunge.

The swimming pool is usually a place where the water makes you feel free and safe. Indeed, for a great deal of us, the act of going to a swimming pool is something that involves little thought or anxiety.

But, what if the thought of going swimming filled you with fear? If the very idea of entering a changing room prevented you from exercising?

This fear of what should be a safe public space is something that transgender and gender non-conforming people live with every day of their lives.

One group of people is taking the fear out of swimming with the Transgender And Gender-Nonconforming Swimming group (TAGS).

Transgender Swimming

The Life and Murder of Stella Walsh, Intersex Olympic Champion

On the night she was murdered, Stella Walsh was in a great mood. The Cleveland resident spent much of December 4, 1980, thinking about her two passions: sports and Poland, the country she ran for when she won two Olympic medals. There was a women’s basketball match the next week between Kent State and the Polish national team, which Walsh helped arrange. Mayor George Voinovich asked her to be his proxy, and his office gave her a key to the city, which she planned to present at the game.

Walsh had planned to leave for Atlanta that day, on a trip with her co-workers at the recreation department, but two days earlier, she’d canceled her ticket, which she said was too expensive for her. She skipped work, slept late, went to the nearby Lansing Tavern in the early afternoon, then returned to the tiny home she shared with her bedridden 84-year-old mother Veronica. After dinner, without saying goodbye, she drove off to buy ribbons for the visiting Poles. She had a lot of money in her pocket, which rarely happened.

The Life and Murder of Stella Walsh, Intersex Olympic Champion

Brokie Gathering -  2017

There will be a Brokie gathering in 2017 in August.  We're meeting in Casper, Wyoming, to watch  the solar eclipse together.

Here is a link to the thread about the gathering, if you're interested, post in the thread and let us know!!!

http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=49254.0

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: Lyle (Mooska), EnnisDelMark, KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum.

Today's edition by KillersMom, CellarDweller115

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to CellarDweller115.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 06:42:35 PM by killersmom »