The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet May - August 2016  (Read 8478 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
The Daily Sheet May - August 2016
« on: May 02, 2016, 06:52:29 PM »

Tuesday, May 2nd, 2016

Passing the Plate

As you all know, The Ultimate Brokeback Forum switched to a "donations" format, after Dave Cullen had been supporting the forum on his own for the past 10 years.

November of last year was when we switched to the donation method, with Killersmom and I (CellarDweller) handling the finances to ensure the forum would continue. 

The forum is currently on a server that costs $33.99 a month, and when we did our first fund raiser, we raised enough to keep the forum running from November through June of this year.  While I do run the "forum finance" each week in TDS, I said I wouldn't ask for more donations  until we were getting close to $0.00 again.   We are now down to $69.00 in our forum account (two months) so it is time to ask our members again to make any donations they can, to help keep the forum going. 

Donations can range from $5.00 to however much you want  them to be.  Payments can be sent via  PayPay to me directly at CellarDweller115@yahoo.com, or you can PM me and I'll give you my address, so you can mail funds directly to me.

Thanks for your generosity!

John Kasich Admits People Are “Probably” Born Gay

Though the official party nominees for the upcoming presidential election won’t be named until the respective conventions this summer, it appears that former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and presumable human man Donald Trump have the game sewn up tight. But even with their nominations all but inevitable, that hasn’t stopped the other nominees from keeping on. Ted Cruz earned a sweetly condescending “alright, li’l guy” from the people of America when he declared earlier this week that Carly Fiorina would be his running mate in the event that he wins the Republican nomination, and John Kasich hasn‘t allowed his nearly inevitable failure to stall him one mite either.

Kasich has garnered a slight bump in popularity over the past couple weeks by presenting himself as a slightly cooler-headed, moderate alternative to the sentient orange cyclone and former Munsters cast member against which he’s campaigning. NBC News has the full report from a Kasich appearance on Friday in the queer-rights hub of San Francisco, where the candidate was appropriately questioned about his stance on LGBTQ issues.

John Kasich Admits People Are “Probably” Born Gay

Openly Gay Singer Speaks Out Against Mormons

Two years after coming out as gay and praising the Mormon church for offering support, Tyler Glenn of Neon Trees is denouncing his faith in his latest music video.

The lead singer of the Provo-based band released the video Friday (April 29) for a single titled "Trash," in which he appears to be trashing the church. The video includes images related to the church and shows Glenn drinking alcohol.

Glenn told Rolling Stone magazine that his belief in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints changed about six months ago.  In November, the church announced that people in same-sex couples could be excommunicated. The rules also said children of those couples must disavow homosexual relationships and cannot be baptized until they are 18.

Openly Gay Singer Speaks Out Against Mormons

Cruz Offers ‘Common Sense’ Response to Caitlyn Jenner

Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz appeared on CNN’s “State of the Union” Sunday, where host Jake Tapper asked him to respond to transgender celebrity Caitlyn Jenner’s critique that his objections to transgender people being allowed to use whichever bathroom they want is unfounded.

Jenner was in New York City this week, where the reality TV star participated in a New York Times Q&A on transgender issues and visited the Trump Tower to test and see if a transgender woman could use the woman’s restroom.  The former Olympian and father of six recorded a video of the bathroom experiment.  “Thank you, Donald. I really appreciate it,” Jenner told the camera after exiting the ladies’ room. “And by the way Ted, nobody got molested.”

Though Jenner, a Republican, claims to side with Cruz on most political and economic issues, the two stand on opposite sides of the debate over so-called “bathroom bills” that require individuals to use the public restrooms and changing facilities that correspond to their biological sex, regardless of how they identify.

Cruz Offers ‘Common Sense’ Response to Caitlyn Jenner

Billie Jean King Confesses in 1981 to Affair

(Originally published by the Daily News on May 2, 1981. This story was written by Theo Wilson.)

In a dramatic public confession, Billie Jean King admitted yesterday that she had a love affair with the woman hair stylist who is suing her for lifetime support.

Billie Jean calmly made this admission to a stunned press conference, with her husband and her teary-eyed parents sitting by her side. She said she was speaking out against the advice of her attorney.

“I did have an affair with Marilyn Barnett,” the 37-year-old former world tennis champion said. “It has been over for quite some time.”

Then, explaining why she overruled her lawyer, Billie Jean said: “I felt very strongly — I’ve always been above board with the press. You’ve always been fair to me through the years. So I decided to talk to you as I’ve always talked to you, from my heart.”

Billie Jean King Confesses in 1981 to Affair

Anne Hathaway, Julie Andrews, and Garry Marshall Skyped About Princess Diaries 3

Just last month, Garry Marshall revealed that he and Anne Hathaway were hoping to make a third Princess Diaries film, which would return the Oscar-winning actress to the Disney character that helped launch her career—Mia Thermopolis, heiress to the fictional throne of Genovia. Details about the project were fuzzy, but during a phone call on Thursday morning to discuss Marshall’s reunion with Julia Roberts in Mother's Day, the filmmaker revealed that he and Hathaway have rallied Julie Andrews for the sequel.

“We’re talking about doing another,” Marshall said, confirming that the duo want to add onto the Princess Diaries franchise, which began in 2001 and continued with a 2004 sequel. “There’s no official [project] yet. Disney hasn’t announced it.” But he, Andrews, and Hathaway, who all have busy schedules, were able to make time to sit down and discuss the project—albeit, from opposite ends of the country.

Anne Hathaway, Julie Andrews, and Garry Marshall Skyped About Princess Diaries 3

NYC Brokie Gathering - June 2016

Bettermost member Katy (Serious Crayons) will be spending a weekend in NYC this June.

Any NYC area Brokies who want  to join the gathering are welcome.  Please post in the thread set up for this event, and let us know of your intentions to come!

Plans are not set in stone yet, we're still waiting for more people to sign up.

NYC Brokie Meet-up!

Forum Financial Update

As promised, you can find posted accounting for the donations received, as well as expenditures, since we've switched to the member donations to keep the forum up and running.  You can click the link below to find them.

As for making donations,  follow these instructions:  At the bottom of the page is a box that says "Donate Via Paypal".  DO NOT USE THAT BUTTON.  If you do, funds will go to an inactive account, and we will have to work with PayPal to get your funds back.  What you should do is go to PayPal.com.  Once there, you'll see an icon of a monetary bill that says "pay or send money".  If you click that, you'll see the option "Send Money to Friends or Family".  Click that.  You'll then be taken to an page that asks for an email address and amount.  Enter the email address that matches my username here.  CellarDweller115@yahoo.com.  Then the amount you want to send, and click "next".  You'll then get a screen that says:  Send CellarDweller115@yahoo.com $X.XX, and click "Send".  Once it's processed, you'll get a screen that says "you sent $X.XX to CellarDweller115@Yahoo.com"

Another option is to mail a check to me personally.  If you choose that option (others already have) just send me a PM and I'll gladly give you my mailing address.

BBM Forum Financials
UPDATED

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum.

Today's edition by KillersMom, CellarDweller115

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to CellarDweller115.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 11:38:28 PM by killersmom »
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: The Daily Sheet May - August 2016
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 07:34:03 PM »

Tuesday, May 10th, 2016

Passing the Plate

As you all know, The Ultimate Brokeback Forum switched to a "donations" format, after Dave Cullen had been supporting the forum on his own for the past 10 years.

November of last year was when we switched to the donation method, with Killersmom and I (CellarDweller) handling the finances to ensure the forum would continue. 

The forum is currently on a server that costs $33.99 a month, and when we did our first fund raiser, we raised enough to keep the forum running from November through June of this year.  While I do run the "forum finance" each week in TDS, I said I wouldn't ask for more donations  until we were getting close to $0.00 again.   We are now down to $69.00 in our forum account (two months) so it is time to ask our members again to make any donations they can, to help keep the forum going. 

Donations can range from $5.00 to however much you want  them to be.  Payments can be sent via  PayPay to me directly at CellarDweller115@yahoo.com, or you can PM me and I'll give you my address, so you can mail funds directly to me.

Alabama's Top Judge Suspended After Blocking Gay Marriage

Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore already lost his job once. Now he's at risk of losing it again.

A state commission on Friday suspended Moore from the bench, alleging that the top-ranking state judicial official disregarded "clear law" this year when he instructed state judges to ignore the landmark U.S. Supreme Court ruling last summer that established nationwide same-sex marriage rights.

"Chief Justice Moore flagrantly disregarded and abused his authority as the chief administrative officer of Alabama's judicial branch," the Alabama Judicial Inquiry Commission wrote in a Friday filing, uploaded by AL.com.

Alabama's Top Judge Suspended After Blocking Gay Marriage

‘Advice and Consent’ Means the Senate Must Vote on Merrick Garland

Despite meetings with several Republican senators, despite two of them demanding hearings, and despite his unimpeachable credentials to sit on the Supreme Court, Merrick Garland seems no closer to getting Senate Republicans to move his nomination through the Judiciary Committee.

Mitch McConnell and his conference appear hell bent on obstructing President Obama once again, forgetting that a presidency is 8 years, not 7, and that their job is to provide “advice and consent” on presidential nominees.

Given this unjustified obstruction, a quixotic idea is starting to gain steam: President Obama does not have to wait for the Senate to act on Judge Garland’s nomination. If the Senate does not vote “yes” or “no,” its silence can be interpreted as “consent” and Judge Garland can become Justice Garland anyhow..

‘Advice and Consent’ Means the Senate Must Vote on Merrick Garland

North Carolina, U.S., Square Off Over Transgender Rights

The United States and North Carolina tangled over transgender rights on Monday, with the Justice Department filing a civil rights lawsuit over the state's so-called bathroom bill and state officials defiantly filing suits against the federal directive to stop the implementation of the controversial legislation.

Also, a major player in North Carolina -- the state's public university system -- defied the governor and legislature and told the Justice Department on Monday it intends to act "in compliance with federal law" as it relates to House Bill 2, known as HB2.

The Justice Department seeks declaratory relief and threatens to curtail federal funding to the North Carolina Department of Public Safety and the University of North Carolina.  With hundreds of millions of dollars in funding at stake, UNC System President Margaret Spellings said longstanding policy prohibits university personnel from discriminating on the basis of, among other things, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation.

North Carolina, U.S., Square Off Over Transgender Rights

Lesbian Teens Make History

Two teen girls have made local history after becoming the first same-sex couple to be crowned prom king and queen at their school in Florida.

Brie Grimes, 17, was named prom queen and her girlfriend Lindsey Creel, 18, prom king at their high school in Tallahassee. The couple celebrated their three year anniversary in February after meeting during their first year at Leon High School through friends.

Brie said: 'Prom night was so much fun - we literally danced the night away.  'We didn't expect to win considering the people we were up against.'

Brie praised Leon High School, which formed a gay-straight alliance club in 2001, for supporting the LGBTQ community.  She added: 'LGBTQ community at our school is very accepting.

Lesbian Teens Make History

Actor Jake Gyllenhaal Warns Donald Trump 'Could Be Dangerous' if Voted into the White House

Actor Jake Gyllenhaal believes Donald Trump 'could be dangerous' if voted into power and says he doesn't like it when he feels he is being lied to by politicians.  The 35-year-old, famous for roles in Donnie Darko, Jarhead and Brokeback Mountain, also said the billionaire Republican candidate appeals to frustrated voters.  Trump has made numerous controversial statements during his run for the Republican nomination, including that he will ban all Muslims from the U.S. and build a wall along the border with Mexico.

His comments come as Trump swept all five presidential races held yesterday, strengthening his grip on the Republican race.  He demolished his rivals Ted Cruz and John Kasich in Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island - a stunning show of force by a candidate seen as a populist political savior by millions despite being loathed by the party establishment.  'I consider myself the presumptive nominee,' the real estate mogul told a crowd at Trump Tower in New York, despite still being short of the 1,237 delegates required to win the nomination outright.
'As far as I'm concerned, it's over.'

Actor Jake Gyllenhaal Warns Donald Trump 'Could Be Dangerous' if Voted into the White House

Bettermost member Katy (Serious Crayons) will be spending a weekend in NYC this June.

Any NYC area Brokies who want  to join the gathering are welcome.  Please post in the thread set up for this event, and let us know of your intentions to come!

NYC Brokie Meet-up!

Forum Financial Update

As promised, you can find posted accounting for the donations received, as well as expenditures, since we've switched to the member donations to keep the forum up and running.  You can click the link below to find them.

As for making donations,  follow these instructions:  At the bottom of the page is a box that says "Donate Via Paypal".  DO NOT USE THAT BUTTON.  If you do, funds will go to an inactive account, and we will have to work with PayPal to get your funds back.  What you should do is go to PayPal.com.  Once there, you'll see an icon of a monetary bill that says "pay or send money".  If you click that, you'll see the option "Send Money to Friends or Family".  Click that.  You'll then be taken to an page that asks for an email address and amount.  Enter the email address that matches my username here.  CellarDweller115@yahoo.com.  Then the amount you want to send, and click "next".  You'll then get a screen that says:  Send CellarDweller115@yahoo.com $X.XX, and click "Send".  Once it's processed, you'll get a screen that says "you sent $X.XX to CellarDweller115@Yahoo.com"

Another option is to mail a check to me personally.  If you choose that option (others already have) just send me a PM and I'll gladly give you my mailing address.

BBM Forum Financials

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum.

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 11:39:04 PM by killersmom »
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 04:58:14 PM »

Tuesday, May 17th, 2016

Passing the Plate - Update Added in Bold

Donations can range from $5.00 to however much you want  them to be.  Payments can be sent via  PayPal to me directly at CellarDweller115@yahoo.com, or you can PM me and I'll give you my address, so you can mail funds directly to me.

Since this call for funds was originally posted, we've had a number of donations made, with promises of more to follow.  Near the end of May, I will post a statement with how much was collected, and how long it will be before I need to ask for more  funds.

Annie Proulx Discusses Her Upcoming Novel

June of 2016 will see the  release of a new Annie Proulx novel.  The link below takes you to that interview.   Here is how it opens:

The week’s story, “A Resolute Man,” is taken from your new novel, “Barkskins,” which will be published in June. The novel opens in 1693, in the forests of New France—the colonial territory France held in North America—when two Frenchmen, René Sel and Charles Duquet, arrive as indentured servants, or engagés. The novel traces the lives of these two men and their descendants. René Sel marries a Mi’kmaw woman, while Duquet renames himself Duke after he sets up shop in Boston and becomes a wealthy timber entrepreneur. In this excerpt, Captain James Duke, in 1808, learns that he is an unexpected heir to the Duke & Sons timber empire. The novel also describes the fortunes of the forests and the indigenous inhabitants, the Mi’kmaw among them, of the land the Europeans colonized. When did you first start thinking of the novel? Did you know from the outset what form it would take?

Annie Proulx Discusses Her Upcoming Novel

Life Before and After ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’

Not long ago, a childhood friend who was finishing up his time in the US Army reached out to me because he didn’t know a single openly LGBTQ person at his entire military installation — one of the largest in the world. We chatted about the military, even after ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,’ and he concluded that the culture around him was still overwhelmingly conservative on such issues. Probably not headline-worthy news, for most.

This conversation led me to talk with others about their experiences as LGBTQ members of the US Armed Forces. Today I would like to share one thoughtful, respectful, and honest story from a member of the US Air Force. His story was originally published at ComingOut.Space, where many other such stories about coming out can be found from around the world. It is longer than the usual fare found here, but well worth the read, as it is an important voice in a conversation we don’t have often enough.

Life Before and After ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’

First Openly Gay Army Secretary Nominee Stalled by Single Senator

It's been eight months since President Barack Obama nominated Eric Fanning to become secretary of the Army — the first openly gay man to be recommended to that branch's highest ranking civilian position.

Since then, he's no closer than he was months ago to a confirmation. Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kansas, is holding up Fanning's confirmation because the lawmaker wants Obama to promise not to move Guantanamo Bay detainees to the Fort Leavenworth, Kansas military installation.

"Let me be very clear on this — as a veteran, a Marine — I support Mr. Eric Fanning for this post," Roberts said on the Senate floor late last month. "If the White House calls and assures me that terrorists held at Guantanamo will not come to Ft. Leavenworth, I will release the hold - immediately."

First Openly Gay Army Secretary Nominee Stalled by Single Senator

Campaign to Make Elsa From 'Frozen' a Lesbian

Not everyone is willing to let this go.  Last month, "Frozen" fans on social media called for Disney to give Elsa, the hero of the hit movie, a girlfriend in a forthcoming sequel.

The hashtag #GiveElsaAGirlfriend soon gained traction — but it is now being challenged by online petitions demanding that Disney depict Elsa as straight.

"We're suggesting a much better idea ... An idea that promotes solid family values to our children and represents the natural family," according to a petition this week on CitizenGo.org, which is asking Disney to ensure Elsa falls in love with a prince.

The petition had more than 115,220 signatures as of Friday morning and triggered the hashtag #CharmingPrinceForElsa.

Campaign to Make Elsa From 'Frozen' a Lesbian

3 Reasons Conservative Christians Will Lose the Transgender Debate

When LGBT rights first became a national issue following the Stonewall Riot of 1969, conservative Christians responded with a disastrous campaign against gay and lesbian causes. Christian leaders cited pseudo-science claiming homosexuality was a “choice,” or worse, a mental disorder. Preachers regularly promoted the idea that AIDS was God’s judgment on LGBT people. And money began to flow into “ex-gay” Christian ministries that promised to make LGBT people straight, but ended up making them suicidal instead.

When it comes to conservative Christianity, it seems the more things change, the more things stay the same. A national debate on transgender rights has rapidly progressed in America, and predictably, conservative Christians have once again elbowed their way to the front lines. Christian leaders make speeches, pastors preach sermons, and political activists make cable news network appearances–each armed with rhetoric intended to incite panic and stir up fear.

3 Reasons Conservative Christians Will Lose the Transgender Debate

NYC Brokie Meet-up!

Forum Financial Update

BBM Forum Financials

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: FritzKep, KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 11:40:02 PM by killersmom »
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 04:57:33 PM »

Tuesday, May 24th, 2016

Passing the Plate - Thank You So Much!

A big "THANK YOU"!! to everyone who has donated to keep the Ultimate Brokeback Forum up and running.

There are a number of members who have talked about still donating, and  if you have not donated yet but still want to, please feel free to do so.

As of this issue of TDS, enough donations have come in to keep the DCF paid for until February of 2018!  This means that you won't hear from me asking for more funds for the rest of this year, or until the end of  2017.

If you haven't donated yet, and still want  to, please contact me.  With funds good until 2/18, that means I will need to start asking for new donations during holiday time, and we all know that funds are short then.

Ang Lee Taps The Potential Of High Frame Rate

Ang Lee is one of cinema’s most exciting contradictions. This quiet, 61-year-old filmmaker from Taiwan is still a giant of the form in Hollywood, whose voice reverberates loudly whenever he releases a movie. He’s a double Oscar winner, for two movies that demonstrate his unique grasp of storytelling on every level; Brokeback Mountain is a universal love story about a pair of gay cowboys, and Life of Pi is a next-level 3D fantasy with cutting-edge effects that enhance rather than dull its emotional resonance. Lee is a modern day Leonardo, inventing the tools with which to practice his art. His films, which include the upcoming war movie Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk, shot in 120 frames-per-second High Frame Rate (HFR), don’t use storytelling to show off technology. Instead, they demand technology deliver an immersive storytelling that goes beyond the white noise and bluster of today’s event cinema.

Ang Lee Taps The Potential Of High Frame Rate

Vice President Biden Salutes Class President

Vice President Biden told the U.S. Military Academy’s class of 2016 on Saturday that greater diversity, including more women and openly gay soldiers, will strengthen the country’s armed forces.

“Having men and women together in the battlefield is an incredible asset, particularly when they’re asked to lead teams in parts of the world with fundamentally different expectations and norms,” Biden said in his speech at a graduation ceremony at Michie Stadium on the West Point grounds along the Hudson River.  More than 950 cadets received their degrees and commissions as second lieutenants. Among them were the first seven women to be commissioned into combat divisions since combat restrictions for them were lifted.

The vice president saluted class president Eugene “E.J.” Coleman for publicly coming out as gay.

Vice President Biden Salutes Class President

San Diego Gay Men’s Chorus Taunted Off the Field

At a shocking display of homophobia at an event meant to promote LGBT awareness, the San Diego Gay Men’s Chorus was booed off at Petco Park before Saturday’s game and were not allowed to perform the National Anthem.  The 100 volunteer singers were asked to perform as part of an LBGT event called “Out at the Park.” But when they got onstage, the crowd changed homophobic slurs and yelled “you sing like a girl.”

After being booed, their microphones were turned off and the Padres played a recording of a woman singing the National Anthem to kick off the game.

In a statement, the San Diego Gay Men’s Chorus said this was not an isolated incident. In fact, the organization had tried to prevent them from singing by insisting the volunteers purchase a ticket the game ahead of time, even if they did not plan on staying, which had not been agreed upon ahead of time. The organization eventually relented and said they would let the group perform, but the recorded track was not mentioned.

San Diego Gay Men’s Chorus Taunted Off the Field

Online Comic - Check, Please!

Check, Please! is written and drawn by Ngozi Ukazu.

Eric Bittle—former Georgia junior figure skating champion, vlogger extraordinaire, and amateur pâtissier—is starting his freshman year playing hockey at the prestigious Samwell University in Samwell, Massachusetts. And it’s basically nothing like co-ed club hockey back in the South.   For one?  There’s checking, and Bittle is very afraid of being checked on the ice.  However, he needs to be on the hockey team, for the scholarship funds.

It’s a story about hockey and friendship and bros and trying to find yourself during the best 4 years of your life.

Online Comic - Check, Please!

India's Transgender Sari Models Winning Hearts

In a highly unusual move, a designer in the southern Indian state of Kerala has launched her new collection of saris, featuring two transgender models, writes the BBC's Geeta Pandey in Delhi.
Sharmila Nair's collection is called Mazhavil - or, the rainbow - and it's "dedicated to transgenders because globally they are represented by rainbow flags".

In India, where transgender people are looked down upon by the larger society and are considered as the in-between people who are to be ridiculed and shunned, Ms Nair's choice of models is attracting a lot of attention.

The models - Maya Menon and Gowri Savitri - have no previous experience in modelling and Ms Nair says she found them through Queerala, an organisation that works with the LGBT (lesbians, gays, bisexual and transgender) people in Kerala.

India's Transgender Sari Models Winning Hearts

NYC Brokie Meet-up!

Forum Financial Update

BBM Forum Financials

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 11:40:51 PM by killersmom »
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 07:33:59 PM »

Tuesday, May 31st, 2016

Annie Proulx and Her New 714-Page Book about Forests

Before Eleanor Catton wrote The Luminaries I would have said that the Americans were to blame for the new vogue for long – very long! – books. Three of Jonathan Franzen’s  novels are all over 500 pages long. Donna Tartt’s The Goldfinch is 784 pages. But The Luminaries trumped the lot at 832 pages.

Compare these books to the slimmed-down, minimalist masterpieces The Sense of an Ending and The Noise of Time by Julian Barnes, and Ian McEwan’s On Chesil Beach, and you have to ask yourself what’s going on. Is this appetite for Dickensian-style fiction – large, sprawling, morally-driven – a New World phenomenon? This, after all, is the age of the Internet, of instant communication, of faster than ever Wifi. Why should we have to read a novel – Barkskins, the 714-page-long new book by Annie Proulx – to have our horizons and our sympathies expanded (the aim of all serious, as opposed to merely entertaining, fiction)?

The answer is that everyone who is serious about the state of the planet, in particular the effect on essential life forms of the continuing wholesale destruction of the world’s forests, should read this novel.

Annie Proulx and Her New 714-Page Book about Forests

Man Who Attacked N.Y. Gay Couple With Chair Found Guilty

A 42-year-old gay man was convicted Wednesday of two counts of first-degree attempted assault and two counts of second-degree assault in a fracas involving two other gay men, the New York Daily News reports.

Ethan Adams and Jonathan Snipes were eating at the Dallas BBQ restaurant in New York City's Chelsea neighborhood last May when an argument ensued between them and Bayna Lekhiem El-Amin, allegedly over a drink accidentally spilled by the gay couple. Adams and Snipes said El-Amin peppered them with homophobic slurs before he became violent. A cell-phone video, which went viral, shows El-Amin smashing a wooden chair over Adams's head, which knocked him unconscious. Snipes says El-Amin stomped on his head and back while calling him slurs. El-Amin then fled the restaurant, but turned himself in to police custody the next month.

Man Who Attacked N.Y. Gay Couple With Chair Found Guilty

Spanish Olympic Water Polo Player Comes Out as Gay

Victor Gutiérrez, a water polo player from Madrid on the Spanish national team heading to the Summer Olympics in Rio, has come out publicly as gay on the LGBT website Shangay.

"I'm out of the closet in my environment," said Gutiérrez, according to a translation of the story. "My family knows I'm gay, my friends too. And I'm living in such a positive way with my sexuality that I felt a responsibility to share it with others."

Gutiérrez said he has never met anyone who judged him based on his sexual orientation. "It has always been based on my performance, and I want to share it," he said. "As a gay athlete, I feel the responsibility to discuss it" .

Spanish Olympic Water Polo Player Comes Out as Gay

'Finding Dory’ Trailer Hints at Disney-Pixar’s First Lesbian Couple!

A newly released trailer for Finding Dory has started speculation that the sequel to 2003’s Finding Nemo will be the first Disney-Pixar film to feature a lesbian couple.

In the promo, which originally debuted on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, there is a brief scene where a toddler drops her sippy cup after being knocked over by a baby stroller. One of the two women walking by picks up the cup and says, “Poor baby, let me get that for you.”

The seconds-long segment almost immediately caused social media users to speculate that the two women were a lesbian couple. One user wrote, “If the rumors are true and the first lesbian couple in a disney movie ever is in #FindingDory YAY for a big important step to acceptance!!!!” while another added, “People are boycotting Disney because they show a lesbian couple in the Finding Dory trailer…Do they not know who voices Dory?!?”

Dory is voiced by comedienne and talk show host Ellen DeGeneres.

'Finding Dory’ Trailer Hints at Disney-Pixar’s First Lesbian Couple!!

Transgender Man Assaulted in Vermont Homeless Shelter Dies of Injuries

A transgender man has died of wounds suffered from an alleged assault in a Vermont homeless shelter, according to police.

Amos Beede of Milton died Sunday at the University of Vermont Medical Center of injuries that included head trauma, facial fractures and broken ribs, Burlington Police Chief Brandon del Pozo said in a statement.  Beede, 38, succumbed to his injuries one week after falling victim to an alleged aggravated assault, according to a police statement.

Beede's initial prognosis was positive, with police suggesting he would make a quick recovery. But that did not prove to be the case. The possibility of a hate crime has not been ruled out because of Beede's transgender identification, police said.  It's unclear whether there are suspects in the case, and a call by ABC News requesting comment from lead Det. Jeff Beerworth of the Burlington Police Department was not immediately returned.

Transgender Man Assaulted in Vermont Homeless Shelter Dies of Injuries

NYC Brokie Meet-up!

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 11:41:32 PM by killersmom »
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 09:01:05 PM »

Tuesday, June 7th, 2016

Heath Ledger's Family Unite to Award Annual Scholarship in His Honour

He was one of Australia's biggest acting exports, and eight years after Heath Ledger's passing, his family joined together to keep his memory alive at the Australians in Film event in Los Angeles on Wednesday.  The late actor's father, Kim Ledger, along with Heath's half-sisters Olivia Ledger and Ashleigh Bell were on-hand at Mr C hotel in Beverly Hills for the announcement of the annual Heath Ledger Scholarship.

The Dark Knight star's younger sister Ashleigh, dressed in a black suit, announced Australian up-and-comer Ashleigh Cummings as this year's recipient.  And the honour seemed to have the desired effect, with the winning starlet gushing about the impact the Perth-born actor has already had on her career.

'Heath has, and will always be, a powerful source of inspiration to me, so to receive this award is inordinately humbling,' Ashleigh said in her acceptance speech.  'I'd like to sincerely thank AiF and the beautiful Ledger family for supporting young artists in our passionate endeavours to continue in Heath's wake; hopefully making waves in both professional and personal realms, as he did,' she added.

Heath Ledger's Family Unite to Award Annual Scholarship in His Honour

Little Monsters Attack Madonna & Mariah Carey

Lady Gaga fans, better known as Little Monsters to some, certainly aren’t renowned for their shyness, and now some are coming together to start a petition to stop Madonna and Mariah Carey from “exploiting” the gay community.

Yep. You heard that right.

The petition on Change.org was started by Gaga fan Joseph Sotelo and – brace yourselves – states: “Madonna and Mariah Carey, who are straight, have been exploiting the gay community for years (especially Madonna)."

“Neither have done anything concrete for our community like Lady Gaga has. Mariah Carey recently received a GLAAD award for no reason whatsoever, while Lady Gaga has set up her Born This Way Foundation, which aims to help millions of LGBT youth."

“Madonna and Mariah Carey must donate a portion of their money earned (at least 10%) to the Born This Way Foundation.” The petition has been addressed to Lady Gaga, Ellen DeGeneres (for some reason) and Barack Obama himself.

Little Monsters Attack Madonna & Mariah Carey

Northern Ireland Will Lift Ban on Gay Blood Donations

Ireland’s new health minister has decided that, after a protracted legal fight, Northern Ireland can relax its lifetime ban on gay people donating blood.  Last week Democratic Unionist Party leader Arlene Foster announced that she was presented with new information by Health Minister Michelle O’Neil. Denying that the ban was ever about stigma against gay men, Foster told BBC News NI:

[Minister O'Neil] came with the new evidence to us and I was quite happy to endorse the decision she suggested. In fact, if [the previous health minister] had had the chance to deal with it before the election he would have.

After a 2011 change in the law, most parts of the U.K. currently operate a 12-month deferral period. If men who have sex with men (MSM) have not had sexual contact in the past year and fulfill other qualifying factors, they are allowed to donate blood.  Northern Ireland, however, has held fast to its lifetime ban. Campaigners have called the decision discriminatory and unfounded — particularly because Northern Ireland continues to accept blood from other parts of the U.K.

Northern Ireland Will Lift Ban on Gay Blood Donations

Homophobic Uber Driver Fired for Abusing Lesbian Passengers

A homophobic Melbourne Uber driver has reportedly been fired after he was caught on tape vilifying his lesbian passengers – one of whom is an anti-bullying advocate.  Lucy Thomas and her partner were getting a lift home from Collingwood to Richmond with driver "John" when he started raving about the homoerotic nature of the AFL.

"The driver said he hated football because it was a bunch of 'faggots' jumping around and touching each other," Ms Thomas, who is the chief executive of anti-bullying body Project ROCKIT, told the Star Observer.  "I told him that I understood the spirit of what he was saying but that the word was deeply offensive to me and a lot of other people.  "He then asked us — why are you worried, are you gay?"

It was then that John turned on his fare, abusing Ms Thomas and her partner for their sexuality before threatening to turf them out of the vehicle.

Homophobic Uber Driver Fired for Abusing Lesbian Passengers

Jazz Jennings talks 'Life as a (Transgender) Teen'

Jazz Jennings is your average teenage girl, except she happened to be born in a boy's body.

The transgender teen — who was diagnosed with gender dysphoria at age 3 and appeared on 20/20 at age 6 — has since raised the visibility of trans youth through her TLC docu-series, I Am Jazz (Wednesday, 10 p.m. ET) and her work as a youth ambassador for the Human Rights Campaign. But her new memoir, Being Jazz: My Life as a (Transgender) Teen (Crown), sees the 15-year-old getting more personal than ever. We spoke with Jazz about the book, which hits shelves Tuesday.

Jazz Jennings talks 'Life as a (Transgender) Teen'

NYC Brokie Meet-up!

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 11:42:18 PM by killersmom »
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 12:28:12 PM »

Tuesday, June 21st, 2016

Anne Hathaway Named UN Goodwill Ambassador

Anne Hathaway was named global Goodwill Ambassador for U.N. Women on Wednesday and will focus her efforts on injustices mothers around the world face.  The Oscar-winning actress is taking on some of the most challenging issues moms endure, including unpaid leave, wage gaps and a lack of access to affordable childcare, the organization announced.

U.N. Women, the United Nation’s group that’s committed to gender equality and women’s empowerment, noted that Hathaway’s past work on women’s issues helped inform the decision.

“This year U.N. Women is driving hard to foster more positive mindsets and practical arrangements around workplaces that build and support equality for women,” Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, U.N. Women executive director, said in a statement. “Within moments of meeting Anne I realized that we had found our woman.”

Anne Hathaway Named UN Goodwill Ambassador

When A Refuge Becomes The Target

With the Pulse Orlando shooting, Dave Cullen, author of the definitive account of the Columbine massacre, saw America’s mass-murder epidemic invade a cherished safe space: the gay bar.

Seven years ago, I published a book on Columbine. Since then my inbox erupts after each mass murder—editors and news producers, asking me to address the same maddening question: why does this keep happening?  For the worst attacks, I’ll spend a week or two in deep immersion: hashing it out with psychologists and criminologists, and crystallizing the best ideas for print and TV.

It’s emotionally exhausting, but I hardly ever cry—that comes much later, if I’m lucky. More often, when I’m working, I go numb, and it’s hard to feel anything through that. I can feel the joy draining out of me, like a spigot has opened somewhere inside, but I can’t feel how or where or why it all goes. And then, when my part is over, I need a drink. I’m gay, so that means a gay bar.

When A Refuge Becomes The Target

The Orlando Shooter May Have Been Gay?

Anyone who has come out remembers the self-hatred that preceded acceptance, argues ​Columbine​ author Dave Cullen.

My mantra after every mass-shooting tragedy is and always will be: don’t jump to conclusions too quickly, especially on motive. It’s healthy to discuss possibilities, particularly as the evidence piles up, but remember that early facts often turn out to point in the wrong direction. The media and even the president lunged way too quickly to assume that the Orlando massacre was an act of international terrorism, which it may or may not have been. Today we’re all asking a different question: Was the shooter gay? A rapidly accumulating set of evidence—including reports that he had been to Pulse in the years prior to the shooting—suggests that he was, or that he was still struggling with gay urges. But he might also just have been casing the place.

The Orlando Shooter May Have Been Gay?

To Be Outed in the Worst Possible Way

I’m a son of immigrants, and a gay man who grew up in Orlando in the ’80s and ’90s. My earliest visits to gay clubs in the city were clandestine operations, and let me tell you, it is difficult to be undercover-gay while dressing appropriately for a night out with the boys. On a trip to Parliament House or the gay night at Firestone, I’d be petrified that one of my friends from church or my Christian school might recognize me, and word would somehow filter back to my family. It seemed fortunate that the clubs I visited were, for the most part, cloistered away from the party district downtown where my straight friends might be dancing. I’ve never been to Pulse, which opened years after I moved away from Orlando, but even at my most closeted moment, I might have risked dressing for the disco on that tucked-away corner of South Orange Ave.

To Be Outed in the Worst Possible Way

Lesbian Political Action Committee raises over $500K for Hillary

Women flexed some economic muscle at Town Hall on Thursday when the Lesbian Political Action Committee raised over half a million dollars to help elect Hillary Clinton and other gay-friendly candidates.

It was a rough week for the LGBTQ community after the Orlando, Fla., nightclub shootings, but Rosie O’Donnell and Billie Jean King were so moved by the show of sapphic solidarity that they each pledged $50,000 on the spot.

That was then matched by Chicago Cubs co-owner Laura Ricketts, theater producer Alix Ritchie, and Chicago philanthropists Karen Dixon and Nan Schaffer.

Lesbian Political Action Committee raises over $500K for Hillary

Transgender Rights Critical for the Health of 25 Million Transgender People Worldwide

2015 was an unprecedented year in the recognition of transgender rights in some high-income countries. However, as a new Series published in The Lancet reveals, public recognition has yet to translate to a concerted effort to support and improve the health of transgender people across the world.

The Series, launched on Monday 20th June at the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) 24th Biennial Scientific Symposium held this year in Amsterdam, was compiled with input of members of the transgender community and provides an assessment of the health of transgender people worldwide. While the study points to major gaps in our understanding of transgender health because of a failure to recognise gender diversity in public health efforts, the authors say there is enough information about this marginalised group to act now.

Transgender Rights Critical for the Health of 25 Million Transgender People Worldwide

Two Brokie Gatherings - June 2016

June turned out to be a month of "Travelin' Brokies".

On June 12th in  NYC,  a travelin' Serious Crayones (Katy) met up with John Gallagher, Meryl, and CellarDweller (Chuck) for lunch, a walk through the Whitney, and the Highline.

Then, on June 14th,  four more Brokies met up.   Serious Crayons (Katy), Monika, Penthesilea (Chrissi) and NINIsIn (Henry) met up for dinner in Minneapolis, MN.

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 11:43:06 PM by killersmom »
... Kierkegaard

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 07:08:36 AM »

Tuesday, June 28th, 2016

The Minor Regional Novelist

When Larry McMurtry is not in Archer City, the one-stoplight town in North Texas where he was raised, he can often be found in Tucson, Arizona, in a single-story, flat-roofed home in the immaculate neighborhood of Oracle Foothills Estates. He was there one morning this spring, standing at the glass-plated front door, dressed in a white collared shirt, black athletic pants, and blue New Balance athletic shoes. A red sweater he’d pulled over his shirt sported a couple of holes. His hair, once tousled and black, was now tousled and completely white. His handshake was soft. “Well, here you are,” he said matter-of-factly.

The Minor Regional Novelist

3 - It's a Magic Number

In Howard Roffman's book, Three, Photographer Roffman takes time and care documenting the gay three-way love affair between John, Gary and Kris as they explore each other's inner and outer beings.

Three was also turned into a movie (a Greenwood/Hooper production) and follows the lives of three men as they explore their lives together and apart from each other.

The film is available on YouTube, but it contains Russian translations which  can  sometimes make viewing difficult.  If you would like to view this movie, which explores a true threesome, you can do so by clicking the link below.

3 - It's a Magic Number

‘My First Gay Bar’

My First Gay Bar is the title of this remarkable piece from the New York Times.  Each of the people featured, a group that also includes playwright Larry Kramer, actress (“Glee” and “Criminal Minds”) Jane Lynch, broadcasters Keith Boykins and Don Lemon, and Ford Foundation President Darren Walker, among others, discusses the importance of gay bars for them in the process of their exploring and accepting themselves, including for some the first time they went to a gay bar.

It is an important sharing in the aftermath of the shootings at Pulse.

‘My First Gay Bar’

Stonewall Inn Dedicated As National Monument

Local and federal officials joined members of the LGBT community at a dedication ceremony officially designating the historic Stonewall Inn as a national monument to gay rights.  They gathered Monday near the iconic Greenwhich Village tavern where the modern gay rights movement took root nearly 47 years ago.

“I could not be more proud than today, where we are here to celebrate and recognize the first new unit of the National Parks system, the first national monument dedicated to the story of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender community and their fight for equal rights,” Director of the National Park Service Jonathan Jarvis said.

Speakers at the ceremony included Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell, U.S. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) and Mayor Bill de Blasio, among many others. They unveiled the sign that made the national monument designation official.

Stonewall Inn Dedicated As National Monument

Hillary Clinton Marches in NYC Gay Pride Parade

Hillary Clinton has joined in Sunday’s march to celebrate gay pride in New York City.

The presumptive Democratic presidential nominee was accompanied by fellow Democrats Gov. Andrew Cuomo and New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio and Rev. Al Sharpton as she walked along a part of the parade route.  Thousands stood behind barricades as the parade made its way down Fifth Avenue and into Greenwich Village.

The parade had started earlier Sunday with a moment of silence for the victims of the massacre at Pulse, an Orlando gay nightclub, earlier this month. Pulse owner Barbara Poma was leading the parade atop a Stonewall Inn float.

Hillary Clinton Marches in NYC Gay Pride Parade

2015 was an unprecedented year in the recognition of transgender rights in some high-income countries. However, as a new Series published in The Lancet reveals, public recognition has yet to translate to a concerted effort to support and improve the health of transgender people across the world.

The Series, launched on Monday 20th June at the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) 24th Biennial Scientific Symposium held this year in Amsterdam, was compiled with input of members of the transgender community and provides an assessment of the health of transgender people worldwide. While the study points to major gaps in our understanding of transgender health because of a failure to recognise gender diversity in public health efforts, the authors say there is enough information about this marginalised group to act now.

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: foreverinawe, KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 11:44:19 PM by killersmom »

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 08:19:29 PM »

Tuesday, July 5th, 2016

Upclose with Anne Hathaway for 'Alice Through The Looking Glass'

Anne Hathaway gets her weird on in 'Alice Through The Looking Glass', returning as Mirana The White Queen.

"In this film, you'll discover why she has to take the 'kindness' vow. A large part of her persona is in reaction to her sister," Hathaway said.  "We find out how and why the Red Queen's head got big, and I had something to do with it," she added.

The colourful movie follows the 2010 box office hit 'Alice in Wonderland', with Johnny Depp, Mia Wasikowska and Helena Bonham Carter returning as the Mad Hatter, Alice and the Red Queen, respectively.

Upclose with Anne Hathaway for 'Alice Through The Looking Glass'

Christians Infiltrate Toronto Pride as "Gay Zombies"

Toronto Gay-Pride revelers who thought they were receiving free condoms and sex tips from gay zombies in green skintight suits during the parade on Sunday afternoon were actually receiving info packets about the physical and spiritual dangers of homosexual practices from a group of concerned Christians.

Half-a-dozen Christians led by activist Bill Whatcott paid the $100 fee to parade organizers to register "Gay Zombies Cannabis Consumers Association" so that they could move more easily along the parade route to deliver their message.

“Our delivery was a bit creative,” said Whatcott to LifeSiteNews, “but, we wanted to give people this message because it is truthful.”

Christians Infiltrate Toronto Pride as "Gay Zombies"

Dad Arrested for Trying to Kill His ‘Monster’ Intersex Baby

A Chinese man has been arrested for trying to kill his newborn baby three times with the help of the child’s grandfather. According to the Deccan Chronicle, the father has been detained while the grandfather was released pending trial.

“We thought we would have a girl. But soon we were told the ‘girl’ is actually a boy, with an atrophic sex organ. We panicked and got concerned,” the child’s mother, Yang Xiaoqing, told the newspaper. She said the father tried to kill the baby because “he is neither a boy nor a girl”, but a “monster.”

The man tried to smother the infant with a wet towel the first time but was stopped by his wife. Three days later the man made a second attempt to smother the child using a wet towel, diapers and a blanket. Again, his wife discovered him in the act and stopped him.

Dad Arrested for Trying to Kill His ‘Monster’ Intersex Baby

Lesbian Couple Still Under Attack, Three Years Later

'Go jump off a cliff and take your wife with you', 'Rot in hell you f****** skanks', 'I'm buying up my ammo right now you filthy, ugly, disgusting, fat, stupid, cruel, piece of lesbian scum.'

These are just three of the hundreds of Facebook messages Rachel and Laurel Bowman Cryer receive in their inbox, three years after they were denied a wedding cake at a Portland bakery.
The couple's name made headlines in July 2015 when they won $135,000 in emotional damages caused by Aaron and Melissa Klein, who owned the Sweet Cakes bakery in Gresham, Oregon.

It was supposed to be the end of a battle that began in 2013, when the Bowman-Cryers asked the Christian bakers to make their special raspberry fantasy cake.  But it was just the beginning

Lesbian Couple Still Under Attack, Three Years Later

Bisexual Invisibility - A Public Health Issue

A new report from the University of Vanderbilt has reaffirmed what many LGBTQ health policy advocates have concluded the United States’ population of self-identified bisexual people: bisexual invisibility is a real phenomenon with very harmful, concrete effects. According to Gilbert Gonzales, Ph.D, the study’s lead researcher, bisexual people are at significantly higher risk of abusing alcohol and cigarettes as compared to their gay, lesbian, and straight counterparts.

Oftentimes, when we talk about the current LGBTQ civil rights movement, we’re only actively thinking about people who identify as lesbian, gay, or transgender because, historically, their sexualities and gender presentations have read as the most non-normative or transgressive.

Bisexual Invisibility - A Public Health Issue

Lifting the Ban on Openly Transgender Troops Was Long Overdue

Defense Secretary Ashton B. Carter (left) said last summer that the Pentagon would lift its ban on transgender people serving openly in the military pending a six-month review process. The process took one year. The repeal of the ban, which Mr. Carter finally announced Thursday, is even longer overdue.

For years, transgender troops have defended the country with dedication and dignity — but the military has not always shown them the same care. Estimates of the number of transgender service members range from as few as 2,500 troops on active duty and 1,500 in the reserves to 12,800 altogether. Many of these troops, afraid to reveal their gender identities for fear of being fired, have fought on the front lines but lived in the shadows. Some refrain from reporting health issues or sexual assaults while they serve to avoid discovery. Thursday’s repeal will give all troops the equal treatment they deserve.

Lifting the Ban on Openly Transgender Troops Was Long Overdue

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 11:44:55 PM by killersmom »
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 08:22:12 PM »

Tuesday, July 12th, 2016

James Schamus Channels Philip Roth's 'Indignation'

Though he never thought of Philip Roth as a cool writer, after James Schamus encountered Marcus and Olivia in Roth’s 2008 novel “Indignation,” he realized he wanted to keep them with him. He did, and he helped highlight Roth’s hipness in the process.

It was while reading a mass paperback edition of “Indignation,” Schamus says, that he realized Roth was associated with beat poet Allen Ginsberg (Ginsberg’s aunt was his high school teacher) and that Roth’s Olivia — who’s as edgy as Sylvia Path — attended Mt. Holyoke College at the same time that the real-life poet attended Smith. Though Roth had some cool connections, he wasn’t associated with those writers.

James Schamus Channels Philip Roth's 'Indignation'

"Counting For Thunder" Is An Award Winning Film!

Here's an update from Welles on Counting For Thunder.

We’re thrilled to announce that Counting For Thunder has been picked up for distribution by Wolfe Releasing for exclusive world rights across all platforms for an early 2017 release! Wolfe has been successfully distributing films for 35 years and we couldn't be happier to be the newest member of The Wolfe Pack.

We cannot tell you how much we appreciate your support, love and patience through this incredible journey! Wolfe wants to delay the release until 2017 in order to give us the opportunity to continue our successful festival run over the next several months.

Thank you all again for all you have done to get us to this exciting point. And stay tuned for more details on the release as we get closer to the date. Although we don’t yet have all the information regarding the what, where and when’s, suffice it to say that, no matter where you are, you will all eventually have the opportunity to see our film. And please continue to follow us on FB and Twitter!

Cuba’s First Gay Choir Brings Music, Cross-Cultural Understanding to D.C.

Two days after a gunman killed 49 people in a gay nightclub in Orlando, the men of Cuba’s first gay choir landed in Miami then flew to Los Angeles to begin their first U.S. tour. Their first concert in the country was a memorial to the Orlando victims, an unsettling way for Mano a Mano to begin its six-week trip to promote LGBT rights and understanding of the members’ country. But the group felt it was also an important moment to create change.

The five-member choir is scheduled to perform in D.C. at 4 p.m. Sunday at the downtown Church of the Epiphany. It will be the group members’ fourth stop on their tour, which has so far taken them to St. Petersburg, Fla., Los Angeles and Denver.

Cuba’s First Gay Choir Brings Music, Cross-Cultural Understanding to D.C.

Married Gay Man Among Police Officers Shot in Dallas

The country is still reeling from Thursday's sniper attack at a Dallas protest against police brutality where five police officers were shot dead and seven more injured (two civilians were also hurt). The Dallas Morning News reports one of the officers injured was a gay man named Jesus Retana.

Retana, 32 (pictured, left), is a Dallas native and 10-year veteran of the DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) police department. Since being shot on Thursday, he's been released from the hospital and is recuperating at home with his husband, Andrew Moss.

Married Gay Man Among Police Officers Shot in Dallas

Is There A Place for Lesbians In SF?

The Castro prides itself on being open and hospitable to all, but one look around the neighborhood's nightlife scene makes it clear that the vast majority of bars and events, while welcoming to people of all genders and sexual orientations, primarily cater to gay men.

A year after the closure of the Lexington Club, San Francisco's last remaining lesbian bar, Hoodline met up with a few women to talk about their impressions of today’s Castro. We wanted to know whether the world's first distinct gayborhood still feels hospitable to lesbians—and what might have led to the lack of spaces for them.

Is There A Place for Lesbians In SF?

Are Power Lesbians Secretly Running the World?

Quick, think of some of the most influential US women in their fields, past and present. Got some? Chances are at least some of the women you thought of were or are queer. Suze Orman for financial planning, Ellen DeGeneres for daytime talk shows, Jillian Michaels for fitness, Eleanor Roosevelt for politics, Virginia Woolf for writing, Billie Jean King and Martina Navratilova for tennis, Joan Jett for rock ‘n roll, Janis Joplin for rock ‘n blues.

The list goes on: Rachel Maddow for political commentary, Robin Roberts for television broadcasting, Greta Garbo and Marlene Dietrich for acting, Margaret Mead for anthropology, Sally Ride for astronomy, etc. Regardless of whether the above women are the absolute best in their fields or just among the best/most widely known, the point is that queer women appear in the upper echelons of almost every field.

Are Power Lesbians Secretly Running the World?

Massachusetts Transgender Rights Bill Signed into Law

Three months after being booed off the stage for a noncommittal stance on a bill protecting transgender people's rights in public places, Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker has signed compromise legislation.

The new anti-discrimination law, which was passed by the Massachusetts state House and Senate this week, gives transgender people the right to use public restrooms and locker rooms consistent with their gender identities, regardless of their sex at birth.

The Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD) will adopt policies to enforce its provisions, a statement from the governor's office said.

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 08:29:27 PM by killersmom »
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 08:04:19 PM »

Tuesday, July 19th, 2016

10th Anniversary of 'The Devil Wears Prada'

Anne Hathaway is celebrating the 10th anniversary of The Devil Wears Prada with a nod to the film that "changed" her life.  The 33-year-old actress took to Instagram on Thursday to share a throwback snapshot of Meryl Streep as "Miranda Priestly" a.k.a., the ultimate ice queen and editor of the fictional fashion magazine, Runway.

"What else can I say about the movie that changed my life? Thank you #thedevilwearsprada and happy 10 year anniversary!!"  Hathaway wrote next to the photo of adding, "don't let this make you feel old- good style is eternal."

Hathaway played Andrea Sachs, Miranda's assistant who finds herself pulling off seemingly impossible tasks (like snagging two copies of an unreleased Harry Potter book for Miranda's twins) to satisfy her demanding boss.

10th Anniversary of 'The Devil Wears Prada'

Counting For Thunder Is An Award Winning Film!

We’re thrilled to announce that Counting For Thunder has been picked up for distribution by Wolfe Releasing for exclusive world rights across all platforms for an early 2017 release! Wolfe has been successfully distributing films for 35 years and we couldn't be happier to be the newest member of The Wolfe Pack.

We cannot tell you how much we appreciate your support, love and patience through this incredible journey! Wolfe wants to delay the release until 2017 in order to give us the opportunity to continue our successful festival run over the next several months.

Thank you all again for all you have done to get us to this exciting point. And stay tuned for more details on the release as we get closer to the date. Although we don’t yet have all the information regarding the what, where and when’s, suffice it to say that, no matter where you are, you will all eventually have the opportunity to see our film. And please continue to follow us on FB and Twitter!

Despite Anti-LGBT Record, Pence Doesn't Scare All Gay GOPers

Sixteen months after signing one of the most controversial anti-LGBT laws in recent memory, Indiana Gov. Mike Pence on Friday became the official pick to be Donald Trump's vice presidential running mate.  The move threatens to further alienate LGBT voters from the Republican Party, just four years after President Obama triumphed over GOP challenger Mitt Romney with a more than three-to-one edge among gay voters. It could also undermine a reputation Trump has cultivated in certain circles of being the most gay-friendly Republican presidential candidate in history.

But for at least some gay Republicans, the future still looks bright for the GOP.   "Donald Trump's the nominee, Donald Trump sets the policy. That's what matters," said Chris Barron, former head of the now-defunct gay conservative organization GOProud, who recently formed the group, LGBTrump. "As long as Pence is comfortable supporting Trump on LGBT issues, I think it's going to be absolutely perfect."

Despite Anti-LGBT Record, Pence Doesn't Scare All Gay GOPers

Nickelodeon ‘Makes History’ With its First Cartoon Gay Married Couple

A Nickelodeon cartoon introduced the first animated married gay couple to its channel.  The popular animated series ‘The Loud House’ has just become Nickelodeon’s first cartoon to feature a gay married couple – and they did it in the most amazing way possible.

The series is about an 11-year-old named Lincoln Loud who is the only boy living in a house with 10 sisters.  In a recent episode, Lincoln’s best friend Clyde McBride comes to the Loud household for a sleepover, and it is revealed that Clyde has two gay dads.  The scene begins with Lincoln and Clyde counting down to the sleepover on walkie-talkies, and in a subtle hint at the momentous TV occasion, Lincoln says, “Time to make history” before opening the door to let his friend in.

Nickelodeon ‘Makes History’ With its First Cartoon Gay Married Couple

Lesbian Denied Birthday Cake

An Ohio bakery has come under fire after a lesbian couple claimed that it denied them service based on their sexuality.

Ohio resident Candice Lowe told local news station NBC 24 that she contacted Take the Cake Bakery to make a birthday cake for her new wife, Amanda. But business owner, LeGresha Fizer-Brown allegedly decided not to make the cake upon learning from Facebook that Candice is in a same-sex relationship, Candice said.

In 2014, an "Ohio Religious Freedom Restoration Act” proposal lapsed after its sponsors expressed concern that it would perpetuate discrimination against gay people in Ohio. Ian James of Freedom Ohio expressed concern that the bill was too close to one passed in Arizona and would have given business owners the right to turn gay people away.

Lesbian Denied Birthday Cake

San Francisco Pastor Elected First Openly Lesbian Bishop of United Methodist Church

An openly lesbian pastor of San Francisco's Glide Memorial Church has been elected a bishop of the United Methodist Church, which raises concerns among the church's leadership, according to officials with Glide and the United Methodist Council of Bishops.

Rev. Karen Oliveto was elected to the post July 15 at a meeting in Scottsdale, Arizona of the church's Western Jurisdiction, which consists of eight regions in the western United States.

"This is a major victory for humanity!" Glide's co-founder and Minister of Liberation Rev. Cecil Williams said in a statement.

San Francisco Pastor Elected First Openly Lesbian Bishop of United Methodist Church

Three months after being booed off the stage for a noncommittal stance on a bill protecting transgender people's rights in public places, Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker has signed compromise legislation.

The new anti-discrimination law, which was passed by the Massachusetts state House and Senate this week, gives transgender people the right to use public restrooms and locker rooms consistent with their gender identities, regardless of their sex at birth.

The Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD) will adopt policies to enforce its provisions, a statement from the governor's office said.

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 09:40:53 PM »

Tuesday, July 26th, 2016

Jake Gyllenhaal Returns to Broadway

Jake Gyllenhaal is returning to Broadway — and a role grounded in gritty reality.   The 35-year-old actor will star this winter in “Burn This,” a raw and sexy drama following his work on the sci-fi horror film “Okja.”

The play will mark the re-opening of the Hudson Theater and be first time the 1987 work by Lanford Wilson has been done on the Great White Way.

Set in late ’80s downtown New York, the play follows the twisty relationship of the volatile, coke-snorting Pale (Gyllenhaal) with Anna, a choreographer, and her screenwriter boyfriend. Their lives are set adrift after the death of a young dancer.

Jake Gyllenhaal Returns to Broadway

Counting For Thunder Is An Award Winning Film!

Peter Thiel's 'I Am Proud to be Gay' is a GOP Convention First

While the Republican party adopts what the Log Cabin Republicans are calling the most anti-LGBT platform in party history, some pro-LGBT Republicans are also calling Donald Trump their most supportive candidate in the GOP’s history.

The speech by PayPal co-founder Peter Thiel at the GOP convention on Thursday night nods to both sides. “I am proud to be gay; I am proud to be a Republican; but most of all, I’m proud to be an American,” Mr. Thiel said during his speech.

CNN reported just before the convention speech that Thiel would “admonish the GOP on LGBT rights.” Instead, Thiel said, “I don’t pretend to agree with every plank in our party’s platform,” immediately following a standing ovation for declaring his pride.

Peter Thiel's 'I Am Proud to be Gay' is a GOP Convention First

UK Reality Star Ollie Locke Comes Out as Gay

British reality TV star Ollie Locke has come out as gay.  Locke, who previously identified as bisexual, revealed that he is gay in the upcoming season of the British reality TV show on which he appears, Made In Chelsea.

Locke came out after breaking up with his girlfriend Catherine Louise Radford.

Via Cosmopolitan:

Talking to The Sun about the new series of the E4 reality show, which is set in Cannes, the 28 year old said: “It’s the first time the viewers have seen me as gay instead of bi. I do say the words ‘I am a gay man.'”   Ollie – who came out as bisexual back in 2011 – has admitted that the new series is a big deal for him as he’s never openly talked about being gay.

UK Reality Star Ollie Locke Comes Out as Gay

Sexiest Lesbian Alive Chosen In Provincetown

A competition to find and proclaim The Sexiest Lesbian Alive was held on July 19 in Provincetown by internationally-known musician, composer and transmedia artist Phoebe Legere.

The award was presented to LGBT activist, author, attorney and advisor Urvashi Vaid.

The competition was held at the Grotta venue on 186 Commercial Street, Provincetown, MA during Phoebe Legere’s show featuring her band, Los Vassar Girls with Nancy Asch on percussion and drums and Susie Rakowski on bass. Provincetown WOMR radio personality, Pandora Peoples helped interview the contestants and tabulate the votes while belly dancing throughout the night that featured original music by Legere and Cajun classics.

According to Legere, “There are so many ways to define sexy. Sexy is kindness, service as a role model to young women, charisma, community activism and strength. Urvashi Vaid embodies all of these qualities and much more.”

Sexiest Lesbian Alive Chosen In Provincetown

DNC to Host Transgender Speaker, Dozens of Openly Transgender Delegates

The Democratic National Convention is breaking boundaries this week not just with the party’s nominee, but also the representation of transgender people and their rights.

While Democrats anticipate Hillary Clinton to be the party’s first female presidential nominee, the convention will also host another first for both parties—the first transgender speaker at any national convention. Sarah McBride, national press secretary for the Human Rights Campaign, will address the convention Thursday.

“I’m honored for this opportunity to share my story and to be the first transgender person to speak at a major party convention,” McBride said in a statement. “People must understand that even as we face daily harassment, tragic violence, and an onslaught of anti-LGBTQ political attacks across the country, we are real people merely seeking to be treated with the dignity and respect every person deserves.”

DNC to Host Transgender Speaker, Dozens of Openly Transgender Delegates

Idaho Filing Misstates Financial Impact Of Transgender Policies

Accusing the White House of “an incredible overreach,” Gov. Butch Otter’s staff attorney has urged a federal court to put the brakes on guidelines designed to protect transgender students’ rights.

But in a 34-page legal brief, filed Friday, Otter attorney Cally Younger appears to greatly misstate the potential fiscal impact of the federal policies.  Idaho filed its brief in U.S. District Court in Wichita Falls, Texas, the focal point in the transgender student debate. It is here that Texas and several other states have filed a lawsuit seeking to block the controversial federal guidelines.

A key point in the Idaho brief is that the White House’s May 13 transgender student “guidance” actually constitutes binding policy. Opponents argue that states must comply with the policies, or risk the loss of federal funding for public schools.

Idaho Filing Misstates Financial Impact Of Transgender Policies

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 08:55:29 PM »

Tuesday, August 2nd, 2016

‘Stranger Things’ Star David Harbour Comes Full Circle

Achilles, the most powerful of all Greek warriors, had of course one vulnerability: his heel. When his mother dipped him into the river Styx to make him immortal, she grasped him by his heel, leaving him fatally vulnerable.

So it was with supreme irony that David Harbour, the New York actor playing Achilles in the Public Theater’s Shakespeare in the Park production of “Troilus and Cressida” had to withdraw from the production this week when he tore his Achilles tendon in a fight scene with the noble Hector. After disclosing that he snapped his Achilles tendon on Twitter, Mr. Harbour tweeted, “I’m so method.”

In an interview, Mr. Harbour said “It’s a very physical show. I do a lot of running and fighting.”

The injury came in a scene of repeated sparring with Hector, the hunky Trojan warrior. “I jumped and lunged toward him and I felt a pop,” he said. “My brain was saying ‘Move toward Hector’ and my left foot was saying ‘I’m not going to do that.’ ”

‘Stranger Things’ Star David Harbour Comes Full Circle

Navy to Name Ship After Harvey Milk

The Navy is set to name a ship after the gay rights icon and San Francisco politician Harvey Milk (pictured left, while serving in the Navy), according to a Congressional notification obtained by USNI News.

The July 14, 2016 notification, signed by Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus, indicated he intended to name a planned Military Sealift Command fleet oiler USNS Harvey Milk (T-AO-206). The ship would be the second of the John Lewis-class oilers being built by General Dynamics NASSCO in San Diego, Calif.

The Secretary of the Navy’s office is deferring releasing additional information until the naming announcement, a Navy official told USNI News on Thursday.  Mabus has said the John Lewis-class – named after civil rights activist and congressman Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.) – would be named after civil rights leaders.

Navy to Name Ship After Harvey Milk

Wingmen by Ensan Case

Jack Hardigan's Hellcat fighter squadron blew the Japanese Zekes out of the blazing Pacific skies. But a more subtle kind of hell was brewing in his feelings for rookie pilot Fred Trusteau. As another wingman watches - and waits for the beautiful woman who loves Jack - Hardigan and Trusteau cut a fiery swath through the skies from Wake Island to Tarawa to Truk, there to keep a fateful rendezvous with love and death in the blood-clouded waters of the Pacific.

(Fan Review)  "Wingmen" is not a true m/m romance by today's standards. It is mostly a WWII story taking place in the battles of Tarawa, Kwajalein and Truk. And yet it is a seriously engaging story of two men who find each other and fall deeply in love: the old-fashioned way. They earn it.

Wingmen by Ensan Case

Why More Bisexuals Struggle to Afford Food

More than 30 percent of young people identify as falling somewhere between gay and straight—a rate far higher than past generations have shown. But despite the growing prevalence of sexual fluidity, bisexual adults continue to face heightened levels of discrimination, often with severe consequences.

Compared with their gay and lesbian peers, bisexual adults face higher rates of food insecurity, according to a meta-analysis report released Monday.

Researchers from the University of California, Los Angeles’ Williams Institute analyzed data from four national surveys of nearly 20,000 LGBT respondents to highlight a correlation between sexual orientation and food insecurity. Participants were asked whether they’d skipped meals for lack of money, were unable to afford a balanced diet, or participated in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (commonly referred to as food stamps) in the past year.

Why More Bisexuals Struggle to Afford Food

Ugandan Lesbian, Temporarily Avoids Deportation from Denmark

A lesbian Ugandan asylum seeker was lucky to get an 11th-hour reprieve from Danish authorities a day before she was about to be sent back to the LGBT-unfriendly central African country. Denmark said her case will be reviewed one more time.  The case will be re-examined by Danish Refugee Appeals Board (Flygtningenævnet), the woman’s lawyer Jytte Lindgaard said, adding that the process would take up to three months.

“…I can say generally that the risk that something happens to her is much too great,” she told Denmark’s Ritzau news agency. “She has among other things given lectures on what it is like to be a lesbian asylum seeker.”

The Danish LGBT Asylum community, which promotes offering refuge to anyone escaping persecution based on sexuality, hailed the decision of the authorities to review the case.

Ugandan Lesbian, Temporarily Avoids Deportation from Denmark

Transgender Woman Found Dead in Cleveland Parking Lot

The person found dead in a Cleveland parking lot early Saturday morning has been identified as a transgender woman.

The owner of Ecclesiastic Granite Fab found Skye Mockabee, 26, dead about 8 a.m. in the parking lot his business on West 130th Street in the city's Puritas-Longmead neighborhood.  Mockabee was lying face down next to a tow truck. She was bleeding from the mouth, according to a police report.  Cleveland EMS and firefighters got to the scene and said Mockabee's injuries were suspicious. She was pronounced dead about 8:30 a.m., the report says.

Transgender Woman Found Dead in Cleveland Parking Lot

What Is an intersex Athlete? Explaining the Case of Caster Semenya

The term “intersex” is used to describe variations in sex characteristics in someone who does not fit typical binary notions of male or female bodies. In sport the issue centres on verifying the eligibility of an athlete to compete in an event that is limited to a single sex. It is unquestionably a sensitive and complicated issue and one that has arisen many times at the Olympics and other sporting competitions where it has been alleged that male athletes have attempted to compete as women or, in Semenya’s case, that a woman has an intersex condition, which provides an alleged unfair advantage.

Over the years numerous sex or gender tests have been used to verify athletes’ eligibility, ranging from physical examinations to chromosome testing and more recently hormone testing. In the wake of Semenya’s case in 2009, testosterone testing was introduced to identify cases where testosterone levels were elevated above an arbitrary level, termed hyperandrogenism..

What Is an intersex Athlete? Explaining the Case of Caster Semenya

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 11:03:25 PM »

Tuesday, August 9th, 2016

Ang Lee Announces Chinese Title of His New Film

Taipei, Aug. 7 (CNA) Director Ang Lee (李安) has announced the Chinese title of "Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk" to be "Billy Lynn's Halftime Fight" (比利.林恩的中場戰事), which is different from the Chinese title of the 2012 namesake novel by Ben Fountain.

Lee hoped the audience to see the world through Billy Lynn's perspective, and grow and change with the main character.

Lee said "Billy is like a continuation of Pi Patel" (hero of his film "Life of Pi"), and he thus decided to use the new Chinese title for the film.

The Chinese translation "banchang wu zhanshi (半場無戰事)," meaning "no fight at halftime," of the 2012 novel was published in April 2015 in Taiwan.

Ang Lee Announces Chinese Title of His New Film

Lily Tomlin First Out Actor To Receive SAG Life Achievement Award

Lily Tomlin made history yesterday when it was announced that she would be the first openly gay performer to receive the Screen Actors Guild Life Achievement Award.

Since its inception in 1962, the honor has been awarded to Hollywood legends such as Debbie Reynolds, Elizabeth Taylor, Audrey Hepburn, Paul Newman, Julie Andrews, Sidney Poitier, Angela Lansbury and Carol Burnett.

SAG-AFTRA President Gabrielle Carteris says the 76-year-old Tomlin is the perfect choice to join this cast of luminaries because she is “an extraordinary actress, as equally adept at narrative drama as in comedy roles.”

“She has an ability to create diverse and distinct characters that are at once familiar, eccentric and oh so honest–in a way that illuminates life’s hidden corners,’ Carteris adds.  “From Edith Ann to Frankie, her characters are wholly unique, and by exposing every nuance of human behavior, they widen our scope of understanding.”

Lily Tomlin First Out Actor To Receive SAG Life Achievement Award

Suspected Hate Crime on Subway

A 28-year-old gay man was attacked on the 1 train in Morningside Heights on Saturday night in what police are investigating as a possible hate crime. The suspect, who remains at large, allegedly called the man a "faggot" and punched him in the chest with a sharp object, inflicting puncture wounds.

Police say the victim was riding a northbound 1 train with his partner and sister around 7:10 p.m. on Saturday, when he and another man got into a "verbal dispute." The victim, whose name has not been released, later told police that the suspect threatened him, saying, "Watch what happens to you at the next stop."

Suspected Hate Crime on Subway

Amanda Barrie Admits Fears Coming Out as Bisexual

Amanda Barrie has revealed she kept her sexuality a secret for years because she was "terrified" that she would be knocked back for work.

The Benidorm actress, whose television career dates back to the 1960s, feared coming out as bisexual and has only recently plucked up the courage to put her personal life in the spotlight because people are more open-minded than they used to be.

The 80-year-old star admitted that she was even reluctant to share her sexuality with her Coronation Street co-stars, despite her time on the show spanning 15 years before her exit in 2001.

"If you did it now nobody would notice, and it's not that long ago. Nobody at Coronation Street knew but my very close friends Helen, Sue Nicholls and Barbara Knox," Amanda confessed. "I was terrified, there was an attitude that certain people wouldn't work with you - it was taboo," she continued.

Amanda Barrie Admits Fears Coming Out as Bisexual

Lesbian Harassed in Senior Home

Lambda Legal, the oldest LGBTQ legal organization in the U.S., filed a lawsuit July 28 against an Illinois senior living facility alleging that staff did nothing to stop physical and verbal abuse against one resident by other residents because she was out as a lesbian.

Glen St. Andrew Living Community in Niles, IL., a private facility, has been home to Marsha Marie Wetzel since her partner of 30 years, Judy, died in 2014. Judy’s homophobic family seized all of her assets, including their house and eventually evicted Wetzel. With few options and a disability, Wetzel landed in Glen St. Andrew in November 2014 thanks to the help of her social worker.

The complaint alleges that Wetzel faced "persistent verbal harassment, threats, intimidation and three separate assaults, at the hands of other residents" and called "countless homophobic slurs” because she had revealed her long-term relationship with another woman.

Lesbian Harassed in Senior Home

How Israel Treats Transgender Soldiers

Amy always knew she was a girl trapped in a boy’s body, as she always knew she would serve in the army. She grew up in a religious family in Israel and attended a school that prepared students to enter the air force. But after coming out to her family, whose reactions ranged from fear to denial and rejection, she wasn’t sure if and how the military would accept her.

Amy, who preferred not to use her real name for this story, decided not to go into the air force, which she felt might be too “macho” and less welcoming to a transgender woman. Instead she enlisted in Caracal, a co-ed combat unit, which is tasked with patrolling Israel’s border with Egypt. To Amy’s surprise, the army was more than just accepting.

“They were empowering,” she says of her fellow soldiers and commanders. “The girls and guys in my platoon were so sweet and supportive, and all the staff tried to make it as smooth as possible. I didn’t even notice.”

How Israel Treats Transgender Soldiers

Genderqueer Vine Star Jeffrey Marsh Offers Advice

Embrace and love yourself for all that you are.

That’s the message Vine star Jeffrey Marsh, who goes by the they/them pronoun, has for you. On our most recent episode of the “The Spectrum,” a bi-weekly series where we discuss diverse LGBT identities and experiences, Marsh sat down with HuffPost’s Maria Tridas to discuss their embrace of their genderqueer identity.

“I think genderqueer means different things to different people and to me, I choose it as a label because it’s the label that feels the most like no label at all,” Marsh said. 

The social media sensation, who recently released a new book called How to Be You, covered a lot over the course of the 40-minute conversation. They started by discussing being from a small town and coming out to their mother, a pastor, when they were just 11 years old. But in discussing their life narrative, Marsh interweaved advice for learning how to accept yourself, which includes getting “rid of that self-hating voice that is in your head.”

Genderqueer Vine Star Jeffrey Marsh Offers Advice

Happy Memories!  Anniversary of the BBM Backyard BBQ - August 11-13th, 2006

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 10:24:17 PM »

Tuesday, August 16th, 2016

Q&A with Hollywood Director James Schamus

James Schamus is a Hollywood icon that has over three decades experience in making movies.  His producer credits include Hulk, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and Brokeback Mountain.  At 56, he's making his directorial debut with Indignation, adapted from the 2008 novel written by Phillip Roth.

It tells the story of Marcus Messner (Logan Lerman), a smart Jewish boy in New Jersey who leaves for college in Ohio to escape the military draft. There he meets the affectionate Olivia Hutton (Sarah Gadon) and comes face-to-face with the University's societal and religious expectations – both of which prove challenging to him.

A love story? Yes. But, according to Schamus, not the Hollywood love story you’ve come to expect.

Q&A with Hollywood Director James Schamus

Olympics: Record Number of LGBT Athletes at Rio 2016

It's likely to prove one of Rio 2016's most memorable moments and it has nothing to with the winning of medals.

While rugby player Isadora Cerullo didn't secure a bronze, silver or gold medal, she won a partner for life after girlfriend Marjorie Enya, a volunteer at the 2016 Olympics, proposed to her in front of teammates, volunteers and media. Without hesitation Cerullo said yes and the Rio Games had it's first marriage proposal.

It was also a proposal that highlighted a rising trend for the LGBT community -- Rio 2016 has a record number of out athletes.  Human Rights campaign estimates that there are at least 41 openly lesbian, gay and bisexual Olympians -- up from 23 that participated in London 2012 -- though Outsports.com puts that number much higher at 49.

Rio 2016 also marked the first time a transgender model has been used at an Opening Ceremony after Brazilian model Lea T rode into the Maracana stadium pedaling the bicycle that carried Brazil's name ahead of the host team marching out.

Olympics: Record Number of LGBT Athletes at Rio 2016

Gay Uncles Day Celebrates History's Unsung Heroes

If you've been on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram this week, you may have seen the trending hashtag #GayUnclesDay. Yes, it's most definitely a thing: Sunday, August 14 is the first-ever Gay Uncles Day.

"Virtually every family had that relative, often an uncle, who spent his life as a 'confirmed bachelor.' "'Oh, uncle Johnny will settle down when he finds the right girl," said Australian bobsledder Simon Dunn, founder of Gay Uncles Day.

"My goal in promoting this day of celebration is to normalize the role of the gay uncle, cousin, brother … whatever, in the family and in society. The more visible we are, and the more forthright we and our loved ones are of our very existence, the less uncomfortable society will be with us."

My own gay uncle, Chuck Hancock, lived in a separate world that I was too young to be part of and passed away before I had the chance to learn anything about his life experience. Unfortunately, this is a common experience in many families.

Gay Uncles Day Celebrates History's Unsung Heroes

This Guy Sums Up Why Being Bisexual is Still So Difficult

Being bisexual offers a number of challenges apart from those of gay or lesbian people, says Daniel Emba, a bisexual man, on Bi.org, an information resource for bisexual people.  Emba, 21, is from Mexico City in Mexico. It meant he had a conservative upbringing and often felt compelled to act ‘masculine’ in a way that wasn’t natural to him.

‘Attraction to men is seen as feminine, so this meant hiding my “gay” side. I was not worried about being mislabelled as gay.   I knew I was bi, and I was comfortable with that fact.  ‘Rather, I was worried about being perceived as “not manly.”  ‘It’s ok to be as intimate with another guy as you could want in Mexican culture, as long as it never goes to the level of romance or sex.  ‘Even in that regard, there’s a kind of “it’s only gay if you take it” mentality."

While he was in Mexico, Emba only dated girls. He was able to be more open after moving to Oregon, in the US.  This hasn’t solved all his problems. Bisexual people face many of the same – and some different – stigmas.

This Guy Sums Up Why Being Bisexual is Still So Difficult

Lesbian Couple: Seattle Mariners Told Us to Stop Being Affectionate

A lesbian couple attending a Mariners game last week said they were told to stop being affectionate after engaging in what they said were basic displays of public affection.

Calista Nabors and Giuliana Garcia were approached by an usher who told them someone had complained about them “being affectionate” in the “family friendly environment.”  The usher claimed their affection was against the ballpark’s code of conduct which bans "displays of affection not appropriate in a public, family setting."  The couple told Outsports that when they went to guest services they received an immediate apology. Garcia filed a complaint and posted it on Instagram.

On Monday they received a voicemail from Amy Swisher, a senior manager of guest experience, who apologized, saying hugging and embracing was “totally fine” and she was “very, very sorry” about the incident.  She then invited them to a future game.  But on Tuesday, Mariners spokesperson Rebecca Hale said there was more to the story.

Hale claimed that the usher received two complaints – and one of them was from a Safeco Field staff member who said the couple was “making out” and should be stopped.

Lesbian Couple: Seattle Mariners Told Us to Stop Being Affectionate

Transgender Teenagers Risking Lives

Transgender teenagers are risking their lives to buy hormones on the black market so they can transition, because they cannot access the Family Court, advocates say.

"Kids who I have talked to who want to buy the medication on the black market, they can't go to court. It's either going to take too long, or they can't afford it, and they have decided that this is their best chance," teenager Georgie Stone says.

Transgender adolescents must go to the Family Court of Australia to be assessed as to their competency to consent to medical treatment.  Australia is the only jurisdiction in the world with this requirement.  Georgie, 16, told Australian Story about her ordeal of racing against the biological clock to get court orders.  She said she understands why some teenagers buy hormones on the black market, rather than go through puberty.

Director of gender service at the Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne, Associate Professor Michelle Telfer, said she has had patients who have bought hormones illegally because they could not access the court system.

Transgender Teenagers Risking Lives

Lead Character to Come Out as Asexual

If you told critics five years ago that one of the most innovative, mature, and progressive shows of 2016 would be about an animated horse, you’d probably be met with laughter. However, as Season Three of Netflix’s BoJack Horseman has proven, it’s possible for all of those claims to be true and for a series to still remain funny. A lot of attention has been given to BoJack’s gorgeous silent episode and abortion storyline, but there’s one quiet subplot that has the potential to be BoJack’s most ambitious development of all. One of the show’s main characters has come closer than any other TV character before him to identifying as asexual.

In alignment with Season Three’s complicated tone, BoJack (Will Arnett) and Todd’s (Aaron Paul) crumbling relationship contains more nuance than ever before. Instead of watching BoJack hurt Todd so Todd can react a couple of episodes later, this season’s inflicted wound takes most of the season to fester before the odd best friend pair finally confronts it. And, as is typical with most of BoJack’s mistakes, all the drama revolves around a woman.

Lead Character to Come Out as Asexual

Latest Brokie gathering.  Sara, Mr. S., Ingmar, and Andy recently spent some time together!

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard