The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet September - December 2016  (Read 2585 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
The Daily Sheet September - December 2016
« on: September 05, 2016, 08:57:43 PM »

Tuesday, September 6th, 2016

David Harbour on Seducing Jake Gyllenhaal, Fighting with Winona, and 'Hopper Butt'

Netflix's hottest cop talks playing gay in Brokeback Mountain, Stranger Things Season 2 —and saving Barb.

It's official: Stranger Things has been renewed. The series that viewers and critics heralded as “the show of the summer” has made a star out of longtime character actor David Harbour, who portrays Sheriff Jim Hopper. Out’s readers may recognize Harbour as Heath Ledger’s competition in Brokeback Mountain. “I’m the third gay cowboy in a two gay cowboy movie,” he jokes.

We caught up with the newly minted leading man, who also stars in the blockbuster Suicide Squad. Here, Harbour talks romantic scenes with Jake Gyllenhaal, pushing Winona Ryder's buttons, and what fans can expect to see in the second season of Stranger Things.

David Harbour on Seducing Jake Gyllenhaal, Fighting with Winona, and 'Hopper Butt'

Openly Gay U.S. Soccer Star Kneels During National Anthem

U.S. soccer star Megan Rapinoe knelt during the national anthem Sunday night before the Seattle Reign’s game against the Chicago Red Stars “in a little nod” to NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

Kaepernick’s refusal to stand for the anthem to protest racial injustice and minority oppression came to public notice when he remained seated on the bench before a preseason game against Green Bay. On Thursday night in San Diego, he and safety Eric Reid kneeled during the anthem before a game against the Chargers.

“It was very intentional,” Rapinoe told American Soccer Now after Seattle’s 2-2 tie in the National Women’s Soccer League game. “It was a little nod to Kaepernick and everything that he’s standing for right now. I think it’s actually pretty disgusting the way he was treated and the way that a lot of the media has covered it and made it about something that it absolutely isn’t. We need to have a more thoughtful, two-sided conversation about racial issues in this country."

Openly Gay U.S. Soccer Star Kneels During National Anthem

The First Openly Gay Bishop is a Huge Step Forward

The Church of England is changing. Belatedly, yes, but better late than never. Last year the first female bishop, the Right Rev Libby Lane, was consecrated. Other women have followed, so when a female bishop is appointed now, it makes little impact on the news agenda. There’s no need to report it as – thank goodness – it has finally become the new normal.

Last week the Church of England crossed another rubicon: Nicholas Chamberlain, the bishop of Grantham, became the first of its bishops to publicly state that he’s gay.

The archbishop of Canterbury has subsequently declared Chamberlain’s sexuality to be “completely irrelevant” to his role and that his orientation was known about when he was appointed. However, this is less progressive than it first sounds. Only celibate same-sex relationships are permitted for priests and bishops. They can enter a civil partnership but are banned from getting married, and within the civil partnership there can be no “genital acts” (yes, the language in their guidelines really gets that granular).

The First Openly Gay Bishop is a Huge Step Forward

HBO’s ‘The Young Pope’ Paints His Holiness as Bisexual, Atheist ‘Anti-Christ’

HBO’s new miniseries, The Young Pope, portrays the fictional Catholic leader as a lustful (possibly bisexual) narcissist whose self-serving reign over the Vatican proves ever-more controversial with each episode, according to early reviews.  Through ten episodes, the Paolo Sorrentino-directed Vatican fantasy follows Pope Pius XIII Lenny Belardo (Jude Law), who, at 47, becomes the first American Pope in history.

Pius, according to a Hollywood Reporter review of the first two episodes at the Venice Film Festival, is depicted as “arrogant, whimsical and hilariously destructive,” and “comes off as a borderline anti-Christ not only in his power-mad dreams, but in all his dealings with the cardinals and the Curia.”

His Holiness, according to the THR review, “is so unpredictable he could swing either way.” In an unguarded moment, the Pope also admits that “he personally doesn’t believe in God.”

HBO’s ‘The Young Pope’ Paints His Holiness as Bisexual, Atheist ‘Anti-Christ’

Rush Limbaugh and The Lesbian Farmers

Apparently, it's news to conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh that lesbian-identified farmers exist.  And he believes they are a threat to rural America.

On an episode of his show last month, Limbaugh alarmingly quoted from a story from the conservative website The Washington Free Beacon, which trumpeted "Feds Holding Summits For  Lesbian Farmers".  The headline referenced the U.S. Department of Agriculture's partnership with the National Center for Lesbian Rights on a LGBT focused  #RuralPride initiative and a LGBT rural summit held in Des Moines.

Rush Limbaugh and The Lesbian Farmers

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton Joins Family of Transgender Boy, 8, for Dinner

Ken Paxton, an outspoken Texas attorney general suing the Obama administration over transgender rights in schools, kept a promise and dined with a transgender boy.

“Honestly, it was a very pleasant evening,” said the boy’s mother, Amber Briggle, who told the Denton Record-Chronicle she invited Paxton over for dinner Thursday to advocate for transgender children impacted by discriminatory policies.  Briggle’s 8-year-old son MG was designated as a girl on his birth certificate, but the third-grader identifies as a boy.

On Thursday, the Briggles grilled shish kebabs and put watermelon and cornbread on the table for their guests while Paxton and his wife, Angela, brought their bodyguards and butter bars for dessert, she told the Record-Chronicle.

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton Joins Family of Transgender Boy, 8, for Dinner

5 Dating Tips for Genderqueer and Gender Non-conforming Individuals

The dating world can be a cruel place for those who are genderqueer or gender non-conforming.  And in case you do not know what ‘genderqueer’ means, it relates to a person who does not subscribe to conventional gender distinctions but identifies with neither, both, or a combination of male and female genders.

Genderqueer and gender non-conforming individuals often face rejection and even criticism for the way they look or behave.  Here’s an example of what people say as a justification of their bias:
‘I’m gay and I want to date a guy who looks and acts like a guy, not a guy who’s like a girl.’

It is unfortunate that the idea of gender as binary is so ingrained in certain people and that they are unable to open their mind to people who don’t exactly conform to their standards and expectations of performed gender.  To help those who are genderqueer or gender non-conforming to manage their expectations with it comes to dating, YouTuber Miles Jai (pictured left) gives out some useful tips in his latest video.

5 Dating Tips for Genderqueer and Gender Non-conforming Individuals

Brokie Gathering -  2017

There will be a Brokie gathering in 2017 in August.  We're meeting in Casper, Wyoming, to watch  the solar eclipse together.

Here is a link to the thread about the gathering, if you're interested, post in the thread and let us know!!!

http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=49254.0

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: BlueJeanDarlin', KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum.

Today's edition by KillersMom, CellarDweller115

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to CellarDweller115.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:42:02 PM by killersmom »
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: The Daily Sheet September - December 2016
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 08:02:10 PM »

Tuesday, September 13th, 2016

DCF Member Sparky Wins Emmy!

Jason Howard (known here by his DCF screen name Sparky) is in the news again.

Earlier in the year, Sparky was in the news here with DCF members Tell You What (Ellen) and Welles (Phillip Cooper) for their work on the award winning movie Counting For Thunder.   Sparky is in the news again, this time for winning an Emmy.

Sparky (Jason Howard, pictured left), David Korins and  Joe Celli have won their Emmys for Outstanding Production Design For A Variety, Nonfiction, Event Or Award Special!  Together, they worked  on the Grease Live special that aired not long ago.

Congrats Sparky!!!

Michelle Williams, Laura Dern, and Kristen Stewart Embody Certain Women in This Trailer

Over the course of the last decade, Kelly Reichardt has been growing into one of the most important voices in independent cinema. Her films generally tend to be intimate and leisurely paced, but those adjectives should not be read as euphemisms for “cheap” and “slow.” The five films the writer-director has released to date—among them Wendy and Lucy and Night Moves—appear designed to smolder slowly in the back of your consciousness while branding it with a permanent impression.

That seems to be the case for her latest film as well. Based on three disparate short stories by PEN/Malamud Award winner Maile Meloy, Certain Women drops in on the intersecting lives of three Montana women—played by Michelle Williams, Laura Dern, and Kristen Stewart—as they each slam headlong into adversity while attempting to make their own way in the world. 

Michelle Williams, Laura Dern, and Kristen Stewart Embody Certain Women in This Trailer

Tim Kaine: Catholic Church Might Change Position on Gay Marriage

Democratic vice presidential nominee Tim Kaine is predicting that the Roman Catholic Church may eventually change its opposition to gay marriage.

Kaine is a devout Roman Catholic as well as a U.S. senator from Virginia and a former governor of that state. He told the Human Rights Campaign during its national dinner Saturday in Washington that he had changed his mind about gay marriage and that his church may follow suit one day.

"I think it's going to change because my church also teaches me about a creator who, in the first chapter of Genesis, surveyed the entire world, including mankind, and said, 'It is very good,'" Kaine said. He then recalled Pope Francis' remark that "who am I to judge?" in reference to gay priests.

"I want to add: Who am I to challenge God for the beautiful diversity of the human family? I think we're supposed to celebrate it, not challenge it," Kaine said.

Tim Kaine: Catholic Church Might Change Position on Gay Marriage

Is Todd Chrisley Gay?

Todd Chrisley is the man behind USA Network’s TV series, Chrisley Knows Best. He made all of his money in real estate and seems to lead a glamorous life, but the reality of his situation is very far from that. In 2012, according to People, Chrisley filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Nicki Swift writes, “…it was discovered that he was about $49.4 million in debt, against assets worth $4.2 million. Among the causes of Chrisley’s jaw-dropping debt: a business investment that went sour and put him on the hook for $30 million, according to his lawyer…” Two years later, however, his financial situation improved and he was reported to have been doing well.

On top of his sometimes problematic financials, Chrisley has dealt with rumors that he is gay. In 2014, his first wife, Teresa Terry, spoke out about her former husband’s romantic preferences. She told the Daily Mail, “I know there are reports saying that he’s gay and I can see why. But I married him and I had two children with him so obviously I don’t think he’s gay. If he comes out of the closet in the second season I’ll be shocked.”

Is Todd Chrisley Gay?

Why Bisexual Stereotypes are Being Perpetrated in the LGBT Community

Question: As a bisexual woman, I’ve been fighting for LGBT equality all my life. Recently, I’ve been seeing so much more negativity toward bisexuals coming from lesbian and gay people.

It sounds exactly like what they went through. They accuse people like me of being inherently immoral: untrustworthy, dishonest, and promiscuous (I’m not). They say that being bi is a choice (it isn’t), that I don’t know my own orientation (I do) or that it is a phase, and generally act like I’m suddenly not good enough for them. I’ve been told that I didn’t contribute anything to their fight for equality, and how dare I try to ride their coat tails.

I’ve been told that being bisexual means I’m transphobic (I’m not) because “binary” also starts with bi.” I’ve been told that I have “straight privilege,” which is completely ridiculous and an awful thing to say. I’ve seen more negativity toward bisexuals - from lesbians and gays - since Obergefell v. Hodges than ever before.

Why Bisexual Stereotypes are Being Perpetrated in the LGBT Community

Miss Missouri Competes as Miss America’s First Openly Lesbian Contestant

After competing in pageants for generations in the closet or working behind the scenes, gays and lesbians finally get to see one of their own take one of pageantry’s biggest stages.  Miss Missouri, Erin O’Flaherty, will compete for the Miss America crown this weekend as the first openly lesbian contestant.

“Behind the scenes, we’ve been well-represented, but I’m the first openly gay title holder, so I’m very excited,” she told The Associated Press in a recent interview. “I knew going in that I had the opportunity to make history. Now I get to be more visible to the community and meet more people.”

Rich Helfant, executive director of the Greater Atlantic City GLBT Alliance, helps run the Miss’d America pageant, a drag spoof of the Miss America pageant that has become popular in Atlantic City as an entertainment and fundraising event. He said he’ll watch the Miss America pageant finals Sept. 11 with extra interest this year.

Miss Missouri Competes as Miss America’s First Openly Lesbian Contestant

Alexis Arquette, Actress and Transgender Advocate, Dies at 47

Alexis Arquette, a transgender actress and member of a famous Hollywood family, died Sunday morning at the age of 47, according to her family. A cause of death was not immediately released.

Her siblings include actors Patricia, David, Rosanna and Richmond. In a statement, the Arquette family referred to Alexis as a “brilliant artist and painter,” as well as singer, entertainer and actor who became their “great teacher” as she transitioned into being a woman. “She became our sister, teaching us what real love is,” they said.

Alexis, known for roles in “Pulp Fiction,” a Boy George-inspired character in “The Wedding Singer” and “Bride of Chucky,” was outspoken about transgender rights. Born Robert Arquette, she chronicled her transition in the 2007 documentary “Alexis Arquette: She’s My Brother.”

“Her career was cut short, not by her passing, but by her decision to live her truth and her life as a transgender woman,” the Arquette family said. “Despite the fact that there are few parts for trans actors, she refused to play roles that were demeaning or stereotypical. She was a vanguard in the fight for understanding and acceptance for all trans people.”

Alexis Arquette, Actress and Transgender Advocate, Dies at 47

Intersex Germans Call For 'Third Gender' Option

For 26-year-old Vanja, the decision of which bathroom to use is not so simple as it is for others.  Vanja was born intersex, which means having sexual characteristics in between male and female. About one in 1,500 people are born as intersex worldwide.

During childhood, the Leipzig native dressed as a girl and used a female name, but by kindergarten, Vanja had “a fundamental feeling that that didn’t work for me”.  Now Vanja - who has short hair and a small beard - chooses the men’s room simply because “it’s less likely that people will call me out”.

Officially, however, Vanja is registered in Germany as a woman - and Vanja says there needs to be another solution.

In 2013, Germany became the first European country to offer a third gender option for babies born intersex on their birth certificates - marking the sex category “blank”. It was intended to save parents from feeling forced to make hasty decisions about their intersex babies’ identities.

Intersex Germans Call For 'Third Gender' Option

Brokie Gathering -  2017

There will be a Brokie gathering in 2017 in August.  We're meeting in Casper, Wyoming, to watch  the solar eclipse together.

Here is a link to the thread about the gathering, if you're interested, post in the thread and let us know!!!

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum.

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:42:39 PM by killersmom »
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 09:57:45 PM »

Tuesday, September 20th, 2016

Jason Howard (known here by his DCF screen name Sparky) is in the news again.

Earlier in the year, Sparky was in the news here with DCF members Tell You What (Ellen) and Welles (Phillip Cooper) for their work on the award winning movie Counting For Thunder.   Sparky is in the news again, this time for winning an Emmy.

Sparky (Jason Howard, pictured left), David Korins and  Joe Celli have won their Emmys for Outstanding Production Design For A Variety, Nonfiction, Event Or Award Special!  Together, they worked  on the Grease Live special that aired not long ago.

Congrats Sparky!!!

No, the Lesbian Brokeback Mountain Isn’t a Thing

Fans on Twitter were shocked to hear that Emma Watson and Margot Robbie are slated to costar as romantic leads in a 2017 lesbian remake of the gay classic Brokeback Mountain.

It started as a rumor online, but once it started circulating, some fans were supportive of the film, fake as it is. It all started when The Portly Gazelle, a satirical site, published an article claiming that the remake was confirmed for 2017 and would star Robbie and Watson.

The Portly Gazelle has been called “one of the most confusing and outrage-inducing clickbait websites in existence” by The Daily Dot. In its description of the totally nonexistent remake, the Gazelle reported that the film would follow “two lesbian lovers in rural USA and will retain most of the themes of the original film, aside from the obvious gender switch." The site even concocted quotes it attributed to the two stars.  “Us being straight won’t be a problem, we’re actors, it’s just something we have to do," went one of the quotes.   The Gazelle also created a hashtag to get the news trending on social media. The article ended with a call to action reading “To discuss the movie, tweet under #Brokeback2.”

No, the Lesbian Brokeback Mountain Isn’t a Thing

British Royal Family Member Comes Out as Gay

Lord Ivar Mountbatten, a cousin of Britain's Queen Elizabeth II, has come out as gay, making him the first member of the British royal family to do so.  Mountbatten came out in an interview with the U.K.'s Mail on Sunday, introducing his partner, airline cabin services director James Coyle. He offered an interview to the paper because various media outlets were looking into his personal life.

'"'Coming out' is such a funny phrase, but it's what I suppose I did in a rather roundabout way, emerging to a place I'm happy to be," he told the Mail. "I have struggled with my sexuality and in some ways I still do; it has been a real journey to reach this point."

Lord Ivar was previously married to a woman, with whom he has three daughters. At the time of his marriage, he identified as bisexual (media reports now describe him as gay, not bi), something he confided to his wife, Penny, although not to the public. They were married from 1994 until 2011. He came out with the blessing of his ex-wife, his children, and his extended family, he noted.

He met Coyle at a Swiss resort last year, initially mistaking him for someone he knew. The exchanged phone numbers, met up again in London, and they now live together on a country estate.

British Royal Family Member Comes Out as Gay

Gay Veteran Marries Lifelong Partner After Emotional Hospital Reunion

An 85-year-old Korean War veteran who wasn’t aware that the Supreme Court had legalized same-sex marriage nationwide was married at his bedside recently to his longtime life partner, 53-year-old Takashi Nakaya.

The Pride LA reports “the entire staff of the West L.A. VA Hospital,” where Dale Green is being treated for Stage 4 Melanoma, “joined their ceremony and helped the couple celebrate their love” after hearing Takashi had traveled all the way from the couple’s home in Toyohashi, Japan to see him.

According to the paper, Dale traveled back to the U.S. from Japan every three months for years during the couple’s 31-year relationship because he lived there on a tourist visa, as they weren’t abel to be married under Japanese law.  Dale only recently returned to the United States permanently to receive treatment for his terminal cancer— treatments his body has since stopped responding to.

“After doctors told Dale that they were no longer able to continue treating him for his disease, Dale made a bold decision and ordered doctors to keep him alive at all costs so he could see Takashi,” The Pride LA’s Troy Masters reports. “After radiation therapy was terminated, Dale’s ability to speak and move his limbs returned within days, his appetite returned somewhat and his vital readings return to normal.”

Gay Veteran Marries Lifelong Partner After Emotional Hospital Reunion

5 Ways to Celebrate Bisexual Visibility Week

This isn’t just any old week in September. It’s the start of Bisexual Visibility Week, a time where the bi community (and their friends and family) acknowledge and celebrate all there is to bisexuality from the history to the culture — and all the bi people in their lives.

Need some tips on how to celebrate? Check out these five ways to make the most out of Bisexual Visibility Week.

5 Ways to Celebrate Bisexual Visibility Week

Trial Begins for Man Accused of Shooting Lesbian Couple in 2012

The trial has begun of a man accused of shooting a teenage lesbian couple back in 2012.  David Malcom Strickland (pictured left) was captured back in 2014, in Helotes, Texas, after a two-year man hunt.

He was wanted in connection with the shooting of lesbian couple Mollie Olgin and Mary Chapa who were in a park and left for dead in June 2012.  Olgin died following the attack, but Chapa, who was seriously injured, managed to survive, and was eventually able to recover.  Strickland was taken into custody without incident, after collaboration from several different police bodies.

Robert Almonte, US Marshal for the Western District of Texas, said at the time: “I am thrilled that the collaborative efforts of the Lone Star Fugitive Task Force, Texas Rangers, and Portland Police Department resulted in Strickland’s arrest."

“He’s a stone cold killer who thought he got away with murder, but will finally pay for his crime. My sympathies and condolences go to the victims and their families who had to endure this wicked act of violence.”

Trial Begins for Man Accused of Shooting Lesbian Couple in 2012

Pentagon to Cover Sex-Reassignment Surgery for Transgender Active-Duty Troops

Transgender troops on active duty may qualify for sex-reassignment surgery if their physicians deem it necessary, according to Pentagon officials.

After news broke last week that incarcerated Army Pvt. Chelsea Manning was granted authorization to undergo gender reassignment surgery, a Defense Department spokesman said Monday that the option is available to all transgender active-duty troops if their doctors recommend it and senior military health officials approve it.

The announcement clarifies the scope of treatment available to transgender military personnel and differs significantly from earlier Defense Department statements, which noted that cosmetic surgery for gender reassignment “in most cases” would be considered elective and not covered by the military health system.

The benefit does not apply to non-active duty Tricare beneficiaries. Defense Department spokesman Air Force Maj. Ben Sakrisson said that starting Oct. 3, the military health program will cover therapy and hormone treatments for Tricare beneficiaries with gender dysphoria but not surgery.

Pentagon to Cover Sex-Reassignment Surgery for Transgender Active-Duty Troops

7 People Who Aren't Cis Women Discuss Their Complicated Relationships With Makeup & Beauty

For many, makeup is a means for empowerment and a vehicle for self expression. The difference that simple swipe of lipstick can make is so magical, some of us cannot feel truly at home in our skin without our favorite beauty tools.

But for gender nonconforming people, (and pretty much anyone who's not a cis woman), beauty can come with a lot of baggage. While many GNC people find makeup empowering, it's often a double-edged sword: For gender fluid people, cis men, trans women and genderqueer folks, the very makeup that is so essential to their survival at times (either emotionally, professionally, or for the purposes of passing as cis on the street) can also be the very thing that puts them in danger. In other words, for folks who don't identify as straight cisgender women, makeup can mean anything from liberation, to a feeling of security, to unintentionally welcoming danger..

7 People Who Aren't Cis Women Discuss Their Complicated Relationships With Makeup & Beauty

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: FritzKep, KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:43:29 PM by killersmom »
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 08:19:32 PM »

Tuesday, September 27th, 2016

Annie Proulx Discusses Barkskins, Human Nature and Hope For the Future

The American author Annie Proulx, who today calls Seattle, Wash., home, is as well-known in Canada as she is in the United States, perhaps because many of her books have a Canadian setting and sensibility.  The Shipping News was set in northern Newfoundland and Proulx spent many months living near L’Anse aux Meadows in a small cabin writing the story of Quoyle and his cursed family.

Now she has tackled another Canadian-style story. The tale of the logging of the forests of North America from the upper Gatineau to the wild woods of Michigan. These were places where the Barkskins roamed. The men, and some women, who stripped away the forests as their God-given right, ignoring the wisdom of the First Nations.

It is an unrelenting troubling tragedy, especially for those whose ancestors have plied this trade and celebrated the loggers who worked north of Bytown and filled the Ottawa River with giant logs. There is seemingly little hope for a future renewal of the woods we all misunderstand, but as Proulx says in this rare e-mail interview with the Citizen’s Peter Robb, she still holds out the possibility of hope in the actions of individuals. 

Annie Proulx Discusses Barkskins, Human Nature and Hope For the Future

Anti-Gay Pastor Steve Anderson Outlines New Plan

Anti-gay Pastor Steven Anderson is referring to his Botswana mission trip as a failure, after being forcibly removed from the country. He hasn’t given up yet, though. He’s still seeking a surrogate to carry his religious beliefs through the country, and start a church that will promote them. In a recent video, Anderson explained what he’s looking for and declares that if the Botswana mission was a failure, he hopes every mission fails equally.

Steven Anderson became widely known as an anti-gay pastor when he praised the murders in a nightclub in Orlando, calling the LGBTQ community “sodomites” and declaring that an “execution” of these victims would have been carried out by a righteous government.

These anti-gay remarks are a large part of what brought Pastor Anderson to the attention of governments in South Africa, the U.K., and Botswana. In July, as Anderson planned his “soul-winning” trip to South Africa, petitions circulated requesting that the government keep Anderson out. The Department of Home Affairs responded that they had no authority to do so at the time since Steven Anderson had broken no laws there.

Anti-Gay Pastor Steve Anderson Outlines New Plan

Gay Israeli Families to Host Lone Soldiers for Holidays

In an effort to show their sense of kinship with the Israeli army, hundreds of gay families across the country have volunteered to host lone soldiers over the holiday period.  The initiative was started by Omer Nachmani, who has helped lead the recent protests urging Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to have same-sex partners of fallen soldiers and terrorism victims recognized as bereaved, as well as help bring about a change in IDF policy that would allow its soldiers to march in Israeli Pride parades.

A soldier is classified as "lone" if they have no immediate family in Israel or if they are not in contact with their families.  Nachmani, himself a reserves officer, published a YouTube video in which several Israeli same-sex Israeli families introduce themselves and invite lone soldiers to celebrate the High Holy Days with them.   Among them are husbands Tal and Itay Berman-Segal and their daughter Alma (pictured left), who wish to make the holidays more festive for a lone soldier during the holiday season. “We’re great cooks,” they said, promising it will be a nice, familial event.

The initiative comes after the relatively recent series of harsh anti-gay statements made by religious leaders both in and out of the army. Nachmani’s idea helps reaffirm the fact that any family unit—whether it includes two mothers, two fathers, one of each or a single parent—should be considered a normal family with the potential to be loving and generous to others.

Gay Israeli Families to Host Lone Soldiers for Holidays

This Is What It’s Like to be Bisexual in America

Sometimes we LGBTQ+ people can get a bit zealous in our efforts to prove we’re just like everyone else. The standard reply to the Gay Agenda: “I pay my taxes! I do my laundry! I shop at the grocery store! See? Just like you!” And that’s true, every word of it (at least for those of us who do those things). It’s also not true.

I didn’t come out as bisexual until I was in my mid-thirties. Afterward, I can recall the exact moment I allowed myself to find another woman attractive. It was literally in the grocery store, like some cliché. The cashier flirted with me, and I had an overwhelming urge to look over my shoulder and see if she meant someone else. It was fun and freeing, and it didn’t need to mean I was about to hop on a bus to New York and leave my husband and kids.

The truth is, in my everyday life, I might not wake up thinking, “It’s gonna be a fabulous bisexual day today!” Mostly, I do pretty average things. I make breakfast, send my kids to school, and settle in to work. I’m an author and freelance editor, so my days are spent dealing with words more than with people. When I’m through, I drive my kids to activities, have dinner with my family, and go to rehearsals for the church choir or my community orchestra.

This Is What It’s Like to be Bisexual in America

AfterEllen Is Shutting Down: Is This the End of Lesbian Media?

Lesbian bars have been closing for years. Lesbian websites may not be far behind.

On Tuesday, AfterEllen editor-in-chief Trish Bendix announced on her Tumblr that the 14-year-old site for lesbian and bisexual women “will be effectively shutting down as of Friday.” She added that Evolve Media, which bought AfterEllen from Viacom in 2014, “found we are not as profitable as moms and fashion,” and decided to shutter the site save for a “promise of periodically publishing publishing freelance pieces in the future.”

On Wednesday, Emrah Kovacoglu, a manager from Evolve Media’s TotallyHer brand, called Bendix’s post a “false rumor” and said they would “continue to work with our freelancers and contributors” to cover LGBT issues. But between the lines of Kovacoglu’s post, his message is clear: The archives will be left up, sure, but the editor-in-chief is getting the boot, and investment will not continue “at the same levels.”

AfterEllen Is Shutting Down: Is This the End of Lesbian Media?

Transgender Student Gave a Brave Speech to Combat Transphobia

One brave boy's speech on gender identity is helping to change the hearts and minds of the administration of the school he attends.

After one of his classmates recorded a viral plea about why she would fail out of Emmaus High School in Emmaus, Pennsylvania, if she was forced to use the same locker rooms as transgender students, Ari Bowman appealed to leaders of the East Penn School District to view him as a human being with a unique set of problems and experiences.

"I knew that I was transgender before I knew gender was a word, but I didn't know how to express it and my mom figured out that I was transgender when I was in the third grade," Ari can be heard saying in a video posted to Facebook by his mother, Alisa Bowman.

Bowman then goes on to tell school officials about the negative reactions that stemmed from embracing his gender identity. 

Transgender Student Gave a Brave Speech to Combat Transphobia

Asexuality Needs to be a Recognized as Its Own, Unique Sexual Orientation, Canadian Experts Say

Asexuality — never feeling sexually attracted, to anyone — should be formally recognized as a distinct, fourth sexual orientation, Canadian researchers say.

Half a century after zoologist Alfred Kinsey lumped people with no interest in sex into group “X” on his one-to-seven heterosexual-to-homosexual rating scale, a new review by University of British Columbia researchers concludes asexuality isn’t some form of “psychopathology” or an extreme version of low sex drive.

Rather, “we surmise that the available evidence points to asexuality being best conceptualized as a unique sexual orientation,” as legitimate as being straight, gay or bisexual, the authors write in the latest edition of Archives of Sexual Behaviour.

They and other international sex scholars are also backing a move to have “asexual” added as a response option to questions around sexual identity in the next U.K. census, arguing it would validate the experience of asexuals and challenge the assumption all humans are sexual animals.

Asexuality Needs to be a Recognized as Its Own, Unique Sexual Orientation, Canadian Experts Say

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:44:08 PM by killersmom »
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 08:16:36 PM »

Tuesday, October 4th, 2016

Ang Lee Pushes Technological Barriers

“Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk,” directed by Ang Lee and based on the 2012 novel by Ben Fountain, will premiere Oct. 14 at the New York Film Festival in its envelope-pushing native format, screening in 3D at 4K resolution and 120 frames per second for each eye. The Sony movie significantly raises the bar compared to the industry’s previous high-water mark — the 3D, 48 fps trilogy “The Hobbit” — in a film intended for serious, adult theatergoers rather than popcorn-munching action-hounds.

“We are experimenting with a new visual language for emotional storytelling,” says Lee of the film, which intercuts between the soldier Billy Lynn’s memories of combat and the football-game halftime show at which his unit is honored. “I believe that new technologies provide new tools for filmmakers. They allow us to capture beautiful and realistic images and to create a more immersive experience.”  New formats might also be used to seduce consumers away from the many home entertainment options available and lure them back into cinemas. Few theaters around the U.S. will have the capacity to show “Billy Lynn” in its native format, but there are at least 10,000 screens around the globe that can handle 4K laser projection in 2D at 120 fps, or in 3D at 60 fps.

“Shooting at such a high frame rate allows for greater flexibility to create the multiple formats that will be shown in the film’s release all around the world,” notes Lee.

All this talk of frame rates might be off-putting for moviegoers who remember that the 3D, 48 fps spectacle of “The Hobbit” didn’t go over so well with audiences, who largely felt that the new format stripped the film of its texture in favor of the over-bright artificiality of a soap-opera set, shot on video.

Ang Lee Pushes Technological Barriers

How Exclusion From the Military Strengthened Gay Identity

It's only been five years since Don't Ask, Don't Tell was repealed, finally allowing gays, lesbians and bisexual people to openly serve in the military. For most of our nation's history, the military systematically excluded and discriminated against homosexual people. But despite attempts to ban gay service members and to stamp out all evidence of homosexuality in the armed forces, the military's persecution didn't keep same-sex desire in the closet. Instead, it actually helped create a gay minority identity in the U.S., as the military unwittingly brought visibility and connectedness to the homosexual community, which continues to influence gay culture in America.

It's only been five years since Don't Ask, Don't Tell was repealed, finally allowing gays, lesbians and bisexual people to openly serve in the military. For most of our nation's history, the military systematically excluded and discriminated against homosexual people. But despite attempts to ban gay service members and to stamp out all evidence of homosexuality in the armed forces, the military's persecution didn't keep same-sex desire in the closet. Instead, it actually helped create a gay minority identity in the U.S., as the military unwittingly brought visibility and connectedness to the homosexual community, which continues to influence gay culture in America.

How Exclusion From the Military Strengthened Gay Identity

Homophobic Prank on Gay Friend Goes Viral

YouTuber NoBiggieTV’s prank on a gay acquaintance, which has reached more than one million views, has angered instead of entertained many viewers.  Before starting the prank NoBiggieTV, real name Yerv, begins the video by classifying gay men into two types.

“There is the one type of gay dude who’s like super cool, super chill, like someone you could actually be good friends with,” Yerv says. “And then the second type of gay dude who’s sassy, ego through the roof, always trying to hit on you and no matter how many times you tell these guys ‘Look man, I’m straight…’ They’ll always say some sh*t like ‘Oh, but you don’t really know, you never tried it so how could you know if you never tried it?’”

Yerv continues on that the friend he is about to text has expressed interest in him before. He proceeds to text his friend lyrics to “Closer” by The Chainsmokers. The song includes some flirtatious lyrics such as “Baby pull me closer in the backseat of the Rover” and “Bite that tattoo on your shoulder.”   When his friend responds flirtatiously back, Yerv calls him disgusting and pretends to gag. Viewers weren’t amused.

Homophobic Prank on Gay Friend Goes Viral

Chief Justice Removed From Bench

Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore was removed from the bench Friday for defying the U.S. Supreme Court on gay marriage, more than a decade after he was ousted for disobeying a federal order to take down a 2 ½-ton monument to the Ten Commandments.  The nine-member Alabama Court of the Judiciary suspended Moore for the remainder of his term. Although the court stopped short of outright removing him as they did in 2003, the punishment has the same effect, ending his period as Alabama's top jurist.

The judiciary court ruled that Moore defied law already clearly settled by the high court's Obergefell vs. Hodges ruling when he told Alabama's probate judges six months later that they were still bound by a 2015 state court order to deny marriage licenses to gays and lesbians.  "Beyond question, at the time he issued the January 6, 2016, order, Chief Justice Roy Moore knew about Obergefell and its clear holding that the United States Constitution protects the right of same-sex couples to marry," the court wrote in the unanimous decision.

They said Moore also flouted a federal judge's order that enjoined the judges from enforcing Alabama's same-sex marriage ban after the U.S. Supreme Court's decision.

Chief Justice Removed From Bench

Realizing You’re a Lesbian in Midlife

Evie has been playing roller derby for nine years. Over the course of her skating career, she's seen a number of married teammates leave their husbands for lesbian teammates. “That’s never going to happen to me,” she thought. After all, she had been married for 10 years to a nice guy, a guy from a good family, a guy her parents liked. But Evie did end up leaving her husband. At 32, she fell into her first lesbian relationship with another derby skater.

“She was the detonator in me blowing my life up, but it needed to happen," Evie recounts. "I really had done a great job pretending to be perfect by everybody else's guidelines, but I was really unhappy.”

Regina loved being married to Mitch. “We had a really great egalitarian marriage,” she tells me over the phone. “He was a really awesome feminist guy.” The only problem, she explained, was that he wasn’t a lesbian. “I adored him, but I needed to pursue this other life.” She was 35 when she finally did.

Realizing You’re a Lesbian in Midlife

Jesus Would Not Abandon Transgender People

The pope again angered LGBT Catholics with talk about “gender theory” this weekend, only to clarify what he meant during another impromptu plane ride news conference.  What he meant, though, won't exactly be cheered by transgender people, either.

Catholic News reports that Pope Francis was asked while aboard a flight from Azerbaijan to Rome about his critique of “gender theory,” which he claims gives children a choice of genders. The pope often comments indirectly about transgender people by talking about this "theory," and his comments on October 1 during a visit to the country of Georgia were the latest to be widely blasted by transgender-supportive faith leaders. The pope had said "gender theory" was a weapon in a "war" on marriage.

Then in the plane ride back to Rome, the pope told reporters that he had intended only to be critical of teaching children in school about what it means to be transgender. He reportedly used the word “transgender,” and he compared it to being gay. The church acknowledges people are gay but claims it’s a sin to act on same-sex attraction.. 

Jesus Would Not Abandon Transgender People

Intersex: Celebrating the Beauty in Difference

At 13-years-old, Sean Saifa Wall was admitted to hospital with pain in his groin. He says that he was given very little information about what might be causing it, and doctors didn’t discuss different options for treatment with him. He was told that his testes had to be removed immediately.

“I remember before surgery… I asked the nurse what was going on, and [she] was saying that I have these gonads that need to be removed. I’m 13 – I don’t know what gonads are.” The nurse told Saifa that it was because “they’re not good”. To Saifa it sounded logical: “If it’s not good and it’s in my body, it probably should be taken out.”

But today he still doesn’t know what, if anything, was dangerous about keeping his testes or what was causing the pain. Not too long after the surgery, he remembers one conversation in particular: “The surgeon was talking about how he wanted to create a vagina. The way he described it… it sounded barbaric.” Saifa says, recalling that he was sat in the surgeon’s room in horror. “My mum was to my right… and I was probably turning green, and [she] looked at me and said, ‘Do you want to go through with this?’ ”

Saifa immediately said no. “I remember the surgeon was saying, ‘We’re going to shave down the clitoris.’ And I was like, this all sounds painful and horrible. I think, in that second, that one moment, that was what spared me from genital surgery.”

Intersex: Celebrating the Beauty in Difference

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:44:46 PM by killersmom »
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 07:01:18 PM »

Tuesday, October 11th, 2016

Annie Proulx at Iron Mountain

Annie Proulx doesn’t do small talk. The Pulitzer Prize-winning author of Brokeback Mountain and The Shipping News was in Leitrim at the weekend and seemed happy that most people did not give her a second glance.

Some of those who did shyly greet the sprightly 81-year-old with a delighted “you’re Annie Proulx”, were rewarded with a quizzical “who are you?”

The organisers of the Iron Mountain Literature Festival, a successor to the annual John McGahern seminar which ran until 2015, had thought of her first when deciding on an event which would celebrate the importance of home, identity and place in literature.

“We asked and she said ‘yes’,” said a delighted Philip Delamere, arts officer with Leitrim County Council. Proulx’s admiration for the late Sligo-based writer Dermot Healy may have been the clincher.

Annie Proulx at Iron Mountain

Meet The Gay, Gun Rights Group

Gun sales across the United States often surge following mass shooting events. But in the wake of the deadly shooting at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando earlier this year, a different kind of spike occurred: interest in the Pink Pistols, a gay and gun rights group that advocates for using guns for self-defense. Membership more than doubled immediately after the Orlando killings. Forbes recently spent the day at a gun range with members of the group’s Sacramento, Calif. chapter to find out what’s driving the increased interest in the Pink Pistols.

Meet The Gay, Gun Rights Group

Donald Trump Brags About Never Having a Gay Thought

In a 2010 interview with Howard Stern, Donald Trump remarked that he had never had a gay thought in his life and refuted rumors that he engaged in ‘boner fights’ with other boys in prep school.

While discussing in lewd terms the details of golfer Tiger Woods’ sexual affairs, Trump told Stern, “One thing we’ve learned about Tiger Woods, for definite…he is not gay.” He then asked Stern, “Do you agree with that?”

“He is absolutely not gay,” Stern replied.

“I remember you interviewed a guy, one of the greatest interviews of all time, he was saying he only had one or two events with a man, but he wasn’t gay. You said, anybody who had one or two events with a man is gay,” Trump continued.

Stern stood by his previous statement, telling Trump that a couple of sexual experiences with another man “absolutely” means a man is gay..

Donald Trump Brags About Never Having a Gay Thought

Sara Ramirez Came Out As Bisexual

Grey’s Anatomy alum and Broadway star Sara Ramirez came out as bisexual during her speech at the True Colors Fund’s “40 to None” Summit in Los Angeles on Saturday.

“So many of our youth experiencing homelessness are youth whose lives touch on many intersections – whether they be gender identity, gender expression, race, class, sexual orientation, religion, citizenship status,” she said on stage.

“Because of the intersections that exist in my own life — woman, multi-racial woman, woman of color, queer, bisexual, Mexican-Irish American, immigrant, and raised by families heavily rooted in Catholicism on both my Mexican & Irish sides — I am deeply invested in projects that allow our youth’s voices to be heard, and that support our youth in owning their own complex narratives so that we can show up for them in the ways they need us to.”

Sara Ramirez Came Out As Bisexual

Lesbian Culture Is Being Erased

Money is an ideology. It has value because we believe it does. Similarly, consumer confidence—the quintessential barometer for investors—holds incredible sway in the success of a business or product. And for a business or product to even attract investors, belief in its viability is key.

For some time now, the mainstream has recognized the economic value of niche markets, from the African-American market, which is projected to have a buying power of $1.7 trillion in 2017, to the multi-billion dollar plus-size clothing market. Women, ironically, were once believed to be a minority niche market, but are now recognized as the holders of the purse strings. “If the consumer economy had a sex, it would be female,” touted the author of a 2015 Forbes article.

Oddly lesbians—who are, yes, women—are not considered a part of this major consumer market. In fact, marketers seem to believe that the estimated 5.1 million LGBT women living in America today are not a viable consumer group. This oversight is nothing less than lesbian erasure. And this oversight has had consequences on the lesbian community and lesbian culture, as evidenced by the recent fate of lesbian culture and media website AfterEllen.

Lesbian Culture Is Being Erased

Albany Planned Parenthood to Offer Transgender Patients Medical Care

Since moving to Troy a year ago, Emmett Stoffer has had to travel some 30 miles to Saratoga Springs to see a doctor.

Stoffer, who is transgender, learned years ago not to take chances or waste time bringing medical problems to health professionals who lack the sensitivity or training to address their concerns — whether that means understanding hormone treatments or that Stoffer prefers to be referred to by the gender-neutral pronoun "they."

Stoffer was thrilled to learn recently that Upper Hudson Planned Parenthood would provide services — and, as important, a welcome mat — to transgender individuals at its Albany health center on Central Avenue, beginning Tuesday. The services include hormone replacement and treatments to stop puberty for younger adolescents.

"Young trans folks can come in here and use the services and start living their lives earlier than older generations could in the trans community," Stoffer said. 

Albany Planned Parenthood to Offer Transgender Patients Medical Care

Genderqueer Clothing Brand Claire Barrow

Claire Barrow's hand-painted high fashion pieces are as much a statement about British youth culture as they are a fun conversation starter. She's created gowns with cartoony portraits painted upon them and tights printed with apes.

Barrow made her London Fashion Week debut with Fashion East S/S 2013 and more recently showed with NEWGEN, a support project created by TopShop and the British Fashion Council. Dazed reported she decided to abandon traditional fashion cycles this year so she might "focus more intently on her creative work."

Some of Barrow's smaller pieces are available on her site, and her pieces are carried by US retailer H. Lorenzo.

Genderqueer Clothing Brand Claire Barrow

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:45:24 PM by killersmom »
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 08:38:58 PM »

Tuesday, October 25th, 2016

15 Quotes By Heath Ledger

Heath Ledger has permanently etched his name in our memories. With the most groundbreaking villain character of career, and also the history of comic book movies, the Joker. He appeared in unsuspectingly game-changing movies like Brokeback Mountain and 10 Things I Hate About You and stole our hearts with just one look. An unfortunate loss to the entertainment industry, his death hasn’t made us forget him, he lives through his work.

Here are 15 of his quotes that reflect on how he was as a gem of an actor and person.

15 Quotes By Heath Ledger

Gay Republicans Supporting Donald Trump

Charles Moran, a gay Trump delegate from California, was standing just feet from the stage at the Republican National Convention when he heard billionaire PayPal co-founder Peter Thiel give his now-famous speech.

“Every American has a unique identity. I am proud to be gay. I am proud to be a Republican,” Thiel told a cheering crowd at the RNC in Cleveland this past July.  Thiel made history that night as the first openly gay RNC speaker, and this week he doubled down on his Donald Trump endorsement, donating $1.25 million to his campaign.

Thiel sits on the board of Facebook, and so when many in the online community lashed out at him for supporting Trump, Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg stepped in to defend him, writing in a post, “There are many reasons a person might support Trump that do not involve racism, sexism, xenophobia or accepting sexual assault.”

Moran said listening to Thiel’s speech was an “incredible” moment.

Gay Republicans Supporting Donald Trump

Dolly Parton Speaks Out On Gay Marriage

Dolly Parton, the well-known country singer and songwriter, is famous for her beautiful love songs and duets with popular singers like Kenny Rogers, Kris Kristofferson, and Willie Nelson. In addition to singing duets with veteran singers, the “Jolene” singer has teamed up with young musicians like Norah Jones and Queen Latifah to deliver simply amazing soulful music.

Dolly Parton has enjoyed an illustrious career spanning four decades, yet even today the diva remains an icon and is loved by present-day Hollywood celebrities like Katy Perry. The Daily Mail reports that Katy Perry was one of Dolly’s enthusiastic fans who attended the legendary country singer’s concert as a VIP guest at the Hollywood Bowl.

Katy reveled in the opportunity of meeting 70-year-old Dolly Parton and enjoyed a hot dog snack with the “Two Doors Down” singer, who has just embarked on one of her most extensive U.S. tours. Dolly Parton’s popularity across several generations can best be explained by the fact that most of her iconic songs express the strong, human emotions of love, heartbreak, loneliness, and separation.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/3630918/dolly-parton-speaks-out-on-gay-marriage/#mjRgKq6JLGfjR6Lp.99

Dolly Parton Speaks Out On Gay Marriage

Bisexual Men ‘Earn 30% Less Than Gay Colleagues’

It is, to put it mildly, a complex picture. Bisexual men are paid on average a third less than their heterosexual counterparts, a groundbreaking new study has revealed. But to complicate the issue, the study also shows that gay men and lesbians earn about the same as heterosexuals, as do bisexual women.

Professor Alex Bryson, of UCL’s Institute of Education, analysed the historical earnings data of 20,000 employees in almost 2,000 workplaces in Britain. The results suggest, for example, that in real life, Peep Show’s bisexual hero Jez Usborne would lose out financially to his heterosexual flatmate, Mark Corrigan.

In an article in the journal Work, Employment & Society, published by the British Sociological Association, Bryson explains that the average gross hourly earnings for bisexual men were £9.39, compared with £12.30 for heterosexual men, a gap of 31%. Conversely, average hourly earnings for gay men were £13.33, £1.03 more than for heterosexual men.

The study, which drew on the Workplace Employment Relations Survey conducted in 2011 and 2012, also showed that the average hourly earnings for lesbians were £9.87, similar to the £9.97 earned by heterosexual women. The average hourly earnings for bisexual women were £9.58.

Bisexual Men ‘Earn 30% Less Than Gay Colleagues’

Lesbian Love Story

Lennie Gerber and Pearl Berlin are a lesbian couple who’ve been together for 50 years, but were unable to marry for a long time because of restricting laws.  Finally, after 47 years of partnership the couple were able to marry but it didn’t come without a fight.

The pair moved to North Carolina in the 1970’s, and had a happy life there where they were accepted by neighbours and the community.  Lennie and Pearl always wanted to marry in their home state, but when North Carolina banned same sex marriage in 2012, they decided to actively campaign for their rights.

Lennie, a lifelong attorney, wasn’t going to leave her home or wait for the Federal decision to be made in Washington, D.C. where same sex marriage was already legal.  She said: “Even if the Court strikes down Section 3 of DOMA, I believe that the state of domicile will still come in to play.”  The couple are now happy together and are campaigning for people to vote, and abolish the HB2 bill, which is why they shared their beautiful love story.

Lesbian Love Story

10 Soldiers Have Asked Army for Transgender Recognition After Policy Shift

Within weeks of the Pentagon allowing transgender service members to serve openly, Army officials said 10 soldiers have formally asked to be recognized as their new, preferred gender.

The small number represents only those who have publicly said they are transgender, and doesn’t include soldiers who may be considering or beginning gender transition or those who don’t yet want to make an official paperwork change.

Gen. Mark Milley, chief of staff of the Army, said the key now is to educate the force, particularly commanders who will have to make decisions about soldiers in their units who request a gender change.

“Is the army ready? Well, we are educating ourselves, and we are trying to get ready,” Milley said in an interview with The Associated Press. “We’re well past the issue of debating and arguing about transgender. We are now into execution, to make sure the program is carried out with diligence, dignity, respect.”

10 Soldiers Have Asked Army for Transgender Recognition After Policy Shift

Deerhunter's Bradford Cox Discusses Asexuality/Virginity

Deerhunter frontman Bradford Cox has never been one to hold back, but he may have made his most personal confession yet. Speaking to Savages' Jehnny Beth for her Beats 1 radio show Start Making Sense, Cox revealed he's still a virgin at the age of 34.

Cox made the reveal during his talk with Beth on the show, simply stating, "I'm a virgin at 34 years old."

This came as Cox and Beth discussed sexuality in general and its relation to society and Cox's music.  "There are so many types of sexuality," Cox said. "But one I think is still overlooked is to be asexual. People just don't really believe you."  He then stated, "I am absolutely asexual."

Among the other topics covered in the discussion are Cox's dearly departed blog and PJ Harvey's influence.

Deerhunter's Bradford Cox Discusses Asexuality/Virginity

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:46:02 PM by killersmom »
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 09:57:10 PM »

Tuesday, November 1st, 2016

Gyllenhaal is a Work of Art

Jake Gyllenhaal launched the week starring in “Sunday in the Park with George.”  So how was Monday in the dark with Jake?   One word: Bliss.

That sums up City Center’s exhilarating concert staging of Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine’s 1984 musical.  The show concerns 19th-century impressionist Georges Seurat, along with the burdens and blessings of the creative process.

It insists that “art isn’t easy.” And that's true of some of Sondheim’s tricky melodies and lyrics.  But Gyllenhaal, who delighted last year as Seymour in “Little Shop of Horrors” on the same stage, made it look easy breezy while packing his performance with fire and longing. As he dabbed Seurat’s imaginary paint brush, the audience dabbed real tears.

He’s in wonderful company.  That goes double for Annaleigh Ashford, who plays Seurat’s model, Dot, and his elderly daughter when the show leaps forward in time.

Gyllenhaal is a Work of Art

Anti-Gay Remarks Lost A Congressman Wall Street, And Maybe His House Seat

For most of his career, Wall Street has been good to Rep. Scott Garrett (R, N.J.). Garrett is chairman of a powerful subcommittee that regulates banks, a job that traditionally comes with perks, including big political contributions from financial firms. But that was before Garrett made some controversial remarks about gays.

In a closed-door meeting with the National Republican Congressional Committee in 2015, Garrett reportedly said he would withhold his dues unless the party stopped supporting gay candidates. After those comments leaked to the press, Garrett found himself doing damage control.

"I have no problems with anyone running for office," Garrett told an interviewer from New Jersey public broadcaster NJTV earlier this year. "I support the Republican platform. Which I think you just mentioned is supporting of traditional marriage."

Now Garrett's comments are creating problems for his reelection bid. In 2012 and 2014, financial firms donated an average of $600,000 per cycle to Garrett's campaigns. After his anti-gay remarks, that number dropped by half. Capital One, Goldman Sachs, and big Japanese brokerage firm Nomura all stopped payments to Garrett's political action committee.

Anti-Gay Remarks Lost A Congressman Wall Street, And Maybe His House Seat

2016 Has Been A Mixed Bag For LGBT Politics

At just about every Hillary Clinton campaign event this year, and much of last, you could find lots of rainbows and posters with the letters "LGBT" on them in the crowd. The average Hillary Clinton event has a healthy amount of gay, lesbian and transgender Clinton supporters in attendance.

This past Thursday at a rally co-headlined by Clinton and first lady Michelle Obama, Charlotte resident Matt Hirschy wore a rainbow-print "H" sticker and a wedding ring. Before the rally, he was still celebrating the achievements of last year, namely the Supreme Court's Obergefell v. Hodges decision, which made same-sex marriage legal throughout the country.

"If you would have asked me growing up that my parents would accept me for being gay or that I'd be able to get married, I'd probably laugh," Hirschy says. "Well, I probably wouldn't do anything, I'd run away scared because I wasn't out yet, but I'd probably be very skeptical of it."

2016 Has Been A Mixed Bag For LGBT Politics

Bisexual And Heteroflexible Dads Talk About Kink After Kids

Children. They are one of life’s greatest joys. They are also one of life’s greatest pains… particularly when it comes to disrupting their parents’ sex lives… and especially when their parents are into kink.

A group of parents recently sat down down with Vice to talk about navigating the waters of parenthood and kinky sex.

“I am kinky by nature,” 35-year-old Chris from New Jersey says. “Just because you have kids doesn’t mean kink is over. You may have to slow down for a minute; you may have to put in on the side, but you’re not going to forget it.” Chris and his wife have two children, one three and one 19-months.

“I’m bisexual, but I haven’t actually had sex with another man,” he says. “I’d love to do it. I am a sexual bottom and the best term I use to describe my sexuality is ‘sensation slut.'”  Chris says he likes being “on the receiving end of things” and feeling out of control, hence his interest in bottoming for another man. “I like pushing myself to the limits of the sensations I receive, good or bad,” he says.

Bisexual And Heteroflexible Dads Talk About Kink After Kids

10 Awesome Things About Lesbian Sex

“Oh, lesbian sex is probably so good because you inherently understand each other’s BODIES better, right?”

I remember overhearing a woman ask another woman this in a downtown Manhattan coffee shop when I was a little kid. I was maybe 10 years old, but I totally got what she was saying and totally agreed, silently, in my head.

“Oh, lesbians have the best sex because women don’t just pound into other women like goddamn men do!” I heard on a lesbian sex panel that I somehow attended at an LGTBQ+ convention in high school.

I was in the “Gay Straight Alliance” at that time, and we took a field trip to a liberal arts university for the event. I wasn’t “out” yet, just an overzealous “ally” to my queer brothers and sisters.

“Lesbians have REALLY good sex because they’re more emotionally connected to each other,” I read in a lesbian romance novel when I was on vacation in Cape Cod the summer of 2002.

10 Awesome Things About Lesbian Sex

Transgender Student Gavin Grimm Won't Rest in His Restroom Quest

In court papers, he's identified only as "G.G." But he's not anonymous anymore.  Gavin Grimm is the public face of the latest Supreme Court battle over a more familiar set of initials: LGBTQ rights. Like his lesbian and gay predecessors — people like Edie Windsor, whose lawsuit led to federal benefits for same-sex marriages, and Jim Obergefell, whose lawsuit struck down gay marriage bans nationwide — Grimm may be poised to make history.

He represents the "T" in LGBTQ, for transgender. At the tender age of 17, he is fighting for the right to use the boys' bathroom at Gloucester High School in southeast Virginia. If doing so leads to broader civil rights protections for transgender men and women, Grimm reckons, all the better.

Thus it was that on Saturday morning, as most of his peers prepared for a weekend of football games and parties, Grimm awoke in the nation's capital and prepared for what likely will be a publicity blitz unlike any he has experienced since suing the small-town school board 16 months ago.

Transgender Student Gavin Grimm Won't Rest in His Restroom Quest

Africa: Let's Talk About Intersex

"Intersex" is a general term used for a variety of conditions in which a person is born with a reproductive or sexual anatomy that doesn't seem to fit the typical definitions of female or male. For example, a person might be born appearing to be female on the outside, but having mostly male-typical anatomy on the inside. Or a person may be born with genitals that seem to be in-between the usual male and female types--for example, a girl may be born with a noticeably large clitoris or lacking a vaginal opening, or a boy may be born with a notably small penis, or with a scrotum that is divided so that it has formed more like labia. Or a person may be born with mosaic genetics so that some of her cells have XX chromosomes and some of them have XY.

Though we speak of intersex as an inborn condition, intersex anatomy doesn't always show up at birth. Sometimes a person isn't found to have intersex anatomy until she or he reaches the age of puberty, or finds himself an infertile adult, or dies of old age and is autopsied. Some people live and die with intersex anatomy without anyone (including themselves) ever knowing..

Africa: Let's Talk About Intersex

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:46:38 PM by killersmom »
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 06:32:46 PM »

Tuesday, November 8th, 2016

Saying Good-bye to Tony_

It is with sadness that we say good-bye to Tony_.

Tony_ was a DCF member who frequented a few threads here, but was popular for his posts to those threads.

After some time, Tony_'s posts became less frequent (although he did start a Facebook page) and he later revealed to a select few people that he had been diagnosed with an aggressive cancer.  He faced it with courage, occasionally posting an update to  Facebook, but it wasn't long before the posts  became fewer and fewer, and then stopped.

One of Tony_'s friends who were able to visit him at hospice confirmed what we had suspected, that Tony_ had died.

He had asked that the news not  be posted to the forum until after his passing.   If you would like to leave a message for Tony_, you can do so where others have, in the "Mourning" thread.

Mourning Someone who Has Died

Jake Gyllenhaal is on a Mission From Barack Obama

How serious is Jake Gyllenhaal about acting?

Well, the 35-year-old actor and Oscar nominee (for Brokeback Mountain) spent five months in the back of a police car, riding with the Los Angeles police to get in character for the 2012 cop film End of Watch. He lost 18kg by eating nothing but kale salads and running 24km a day for six months to play a skeletal video journalist in 2014’s Nightcrawler. He trained so hard for last year’s boxing movie Southpaw, working out six hours a day for five months (including 2000 sit-ups a day), that he decided his girlfriend at the time, model Alyssa Miller, was getting in the way, so he dumped her, preferring instead to focus …

“No, no, no! That is just not true!” Gyllenhaal interrupts, half-giggling with embarrassment. “Look, I love my work, but my life comes first. No, I was intensely focused when preparing for that movie, yes. But, no. Hahaha. No.”

Miller split aside, Gyllenhaal will say nothing else to undermine the notion that acting is, for him, close to sacred: transformative, cathartic and boasting an important social and political function (he’s on a mission from Barack Obama — more on this later).

Jake Gyllenhaal is on a Mission From Barack Obama

Why People Are Hyped About A Male Figure Skating Anime

Yuri on Ice!!! features one of the most tender male-male relationships ever seen in anime. And fans are going nuts over it.

Yes, it's the first ice skating sports anime. Characters' animated movements are sharp and its skating choreography has been praised by real skaters. But if you ask fans why they're so enamoured of Yuri!!! On Ice, its sports element might not be its strongest pull.

Yuri on Ice!!! follows Yuri Katsuki, a 23-year-old disgraced Japanese figure skater after an embarrassing defeat at a Grand Prix event. Katsuki is depressed, overweight and on a skating hiatus when a video of him mimicking legendary Russian skater Victor Nikiforov's routine falls into Nikiforov's hands. Ineffably, the legend decides to drop everything and train Katsuki in Japan. Nikiforov's charisma is a buffer for Katsuki's awkwardness and truly unrestrained love of pork cutlet (which, at one point, inspires a skating routine).

The show is resonating with anime fans who have been starved of emotional, slow-moving male-male relationships. Cara, 33, says that the naturalness with which their relationship develops touched her. It's "being written so gracefully and accepted so well in what is unquestionably a mainstream series is a big deal to me," she told me. "It often seems like a lot of mainstream series that allow any affection between men quickly follows that up with a frantic 'no homo, tho!'"

Why People Are Hyped About A Male Figure Skating Anime

Australia's Referendum on Gay Marriage Killed Off by Senate

The Australian government's proposed referendum on same-sex marriage has formally been killed off by the Senate, where it was defeated 29-33 in a late-night vote on Monday, amid a warning dumping the policy would delay marriage equality "for years".

Months of speculation and political posturing culminated in Labor, the Greens, the Nick Xenophon Team and Derryn Hinch combining to defeat the proposal, which would have seen same-sex marriage decided by the Australian people in February.

Claiming Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull's stance on the referendum "disrespects us all," senator Penny Wong labelled the Coalition's actions "cruel".

The decision, an inevitability since Labor pledged to oppose the referendum - known in Australia as a "plebiscite" - four weeks ago, will force a new conversation about marriage equality that will divide the Coalition and threatens to destabilise the Turnbull government.

Australia's Referendum on Gay Marriage Killed Off by Senate

North Carolina Lawmaker Comes Out as Bisexual Because of HB 2

North Carolina State Representative Cecil Brockman has come out as bisexual as a result of the support his fellow lawmakers gave to the anti-LGBT bill HB 2.  Brockman says he decided to open up about his sexuality in particular because he realized that many of his colleagues didn’t know a person who identifies as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender.

In an interview with the News & Record, Brockman said, “It was incredibly frustrating to hear people who have very ignorant opinions because very few of those people know a member of the LGBT community.”

Though Brockman aims to step up his advocacy even further as a newly-out out lawmaker, he was a vocal proponent of LGBT equality even before he was out: “I always felt that I tried to stick up for the LGBT community, even when I wasn’t ‘out.’ I want to do more of my part, to be stronger and admit to the world that I’m actually a member of this community as well.”

North Carolina Lawmaker Comes Out as Bisexual Because of HB 2

TV Is Better for L.G.B.T.Q. Characters than Ever—Unless You’re a Lesbian

There are more L.G.B.T.Q. characters on TV than ever, on a wider range of platforms, and playing a huge array of roles. It’s never been a better time to be a queer person looking to see yourself on TV—that is, unless you're a lesbian.

GLAAD’s annual report on L.G.B.T.Q. representation is out for the 2016–2017 season, and as always, it’s a mixed bag of good news and bad news. Nearly 5 percent of all TV characters are L.G.B.T.Q.; trans representation alone has more than doubled. But the report also confirms that Dead Lesbian Syndrome has been very real this year, as the lesbian ranks have plummeted.

Last year, lesbians made up 33 percent of regular and recurring L.G.B.T.Q. characters on broadcast; this year they’ve dropped to 17 percent. This trope doesn’t just affect lesbians, but all queer women: since the beginning of 2016, GLAAD notes that more than 25 queer, female characters have died on-screen. Some of the more high-profile deaths—including Lexa on The 100, Denise on The Walking Dead, and Nora and Mary Louise on The Vampire Diaries—frustrated fans. And although the number of bisexual women characters has risen, the report notes that these characters are often deployed as “one-note villains or side characters meant to act as cannon fodder to propel a larger story for a central character.”

TV Is Better for L.G.B.T.Q. Characters than Ever—Unless You’re a Lesbian

Estrogen Injection Shortage Worries Transgender Community

After months of working with a doctor on a plan to complete her transition into a woman, Savannah Jo Willis was finally seeing resemblances to her mother's figure, a goal hard-earned through painful shots of estrogen administered at a medical clinic every two weeks.

But today, Willis worries that her emotionally and physically taxing transition may soon come undone, as a nationwide shortage of injectable estrogen — caused by an indefinite backlog from the drug manufacturer — has left trans women and medical centers specializing in the needs of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community scrambling to keep up with demand.

"I'm very nervous," said Willis, 24, of Chicago. "This is what keeps us what we want to be in life. This is what we have worked hard for."

As of early September, Chicago-based Howard Brown Health, the Midwest's largest community health center devoted to LGBT health and wellness, has joined similar centers across the country experiencing a shortage of high-dose injectable estrogen given to trans women. Without access to the injections, trans women are choosing from what medical staff see as potentially harmful alternatives, said Kristin Keglovitz-Baker, chief operating officer of Howard Brown Health.

Estrogen Injection Shortage Worries Transgender Community

UNC SAGA Brings Genderqueer Activist Jacob Tobia to Campus

Jacob Tobia wanted to be Pocahontas at 7 years old for Halloween after seeing the movie.  “My mom was put immediately in this super shitty situation, that the world put her in, no one else put her in,” Tobia said.  “This is sort of what I think most of us face, because it’s on the one hand you can affirm your child and then take them outside and immediately they’re going to be bullied and harassed by everybody and set them up to have basically the worst Halloween ever. Or, you can be like, ‘Nah I’m going to shut you down now in the interest of your protection.’ It’s a terrible position people are forced into.”

Thursday night, the UNC Sexuality and Gender Alliance (SAGA) hosted “Glitter. Power. Love: A (re)Introduction to Gender.”

Led by Tobia — a genderqueer advocate and artist — the workshop aimed to explain the who, what, where, when, why and how of the genderqueer movement.  Aaron Lovett, UNC SAGA president, created the event after getting feedback, especially from the LGBTQ community, that students wanted to see more representation of genderqueer, trans and nonbinary people speak about their activism work.

UNC SAGA Brings Genderqueer Activist Jacob Tobia to Campus

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:47:22 PM by killersmom »
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 11:22:15 PM »

Tuesday, November 15th, 2016

Trump Targets Abortion, but Not Gay Marriage

Donald Trump sent a message about his priorities to social conservatives Sunday on “60 Minutes”: On abortion, I'll keep fighting. On gay marriage, not so much.

But his justification was confusing — and likely will be to some of his biggest supporters in the evangelical community. Trump basically said that the Supreme Court's 17-month-old ruling legalizing gay marriage nationwide is over and done with, but its 43-year-old decision legalizing abortion — Roe v. Wade — shouldn't be. And he did all of this in the course of a few minutes.

LESLEY STAHL: Do you support marriage equality?

TRUMP: It — it’s irrelevant because it was already settled. It’s law. It was settled in the Supreme Court. I mean it’s done.

STAHL: So even if you appoint a judge that —

TRUMP: It’s done. It — you have — these cases have gone to the Supreme Court. They’ve been settled. And, I’m fine with that.

Trump Targets Abortion, but Not Gay Marriage

Northern Pride: Canada Has 12 Gay Curling Leagues

Canada has been at the forefront of gay rights for years, legalizing things like same-sex marriage long before the United States, so it makes sense that it’s also becoming known for its fabulous gay curling leagues as well.

Curling, a game in which players use brooms to slide large, flat stones across ice towards a mark, has become a popular sport in Canada’s gay community over the last several decades, and the country currently has 12 gay curling leagues featuring hundreds of four-member teams.

With names like Fruit of the Broom, Sweeping Beauties and Curls Gone Wild, the players have added a campy wit to the traditional game.

The gay teams have also added themes and costumes to many of their competitions that suddenly have us feeling like taking on the icy sport would’t be so bad.

Northern Pride: Canada Has 12 Gay Curling Leagues

Dad Who Pointed Gun at Lesbian Daughter Sentenced Monday

A West Fargo man remains in jail, sentenced Monday by a judge in Cass County court after threatening to kill his daughter because she told him she’s a lesbian.

Kamiran Bakir was arrested in mid-February as court documents say his teenage daughter called police saying Bakir was going to “blow her head off”, pulling a gun on her at a West Fargo gas station. The documents say Bakir’s daughter claimed he said “she was lucky that she’s not eighteen because he would have put a bullet in her head”.

A relative said Bakir was upset about the news due to their religion, and it’s noted in the court documents that officials believe the family is Muslim.

Bakir’s sentence includes a year in jail with credit for 78 days already served, 18 months of probation and a restraining order.

Dad Who Pointed Gun at Lesbian Daughter Sentenced Monday

Supergirl’s Sister Alex Comes Out as Lesbian

Look! Up on the TV!   It’s a straight-appearing woman who’s high femme!  It’s the human closest to Kara Zor-El of Krypton!   It’s… Supergirl’s lesbian sister!

Yes, Alex Danvers, played by Chyler Leigh, revealed on Monday’s episode of Supergirl on the CW Network that her adopted sister Kara isn’t the only one with a secret identity. She came out in the episode, “Crossfire.”

Executive producer Jeffrey Kreisberg told the Hollywood Reporter their goal is to tell Alex’s story in a “respectful, educational, entertaining and thoughtful” way, surrounded by supportive family and friends.

“The writers were foreshadowing for weeks,” says YouTube personality and Supergirl superfan Melody Maia Monet, a trans woman in Orlando, Fla. She guessed last week in an Instagram post that this was about to be revealed.

In the episode, detective Maggie Sawyer played by Floriana Lima gets dumped by her girlfriend, and mistakes Alex’s invitation to get drinks as asking her out on a date. Maggie tells Alex she didn’t realize that Alex was gay. Alex of course at first denies it and bolts, but after some soul searching she comes out as gay to Maggie by the episode’s conclusion.

Supergirl’s Sister Alex Comes Out as Lesbian

Pakistani Police Arrest 10 for Flogging Transgender Woman

Pakistani police arrested 10 alleged members of a criminal gang on Monday accused of flogging a transgender woman and posting a video of the abuse on social media, officials said.  The arrests were made in the eastern city of Sialkot after a video of the flogging was shared thousands of times on social media, said police official Iqbal Sindhu.

The video shows the gang leader pinning the woman face down on a bed with his foot and beating her with what appears to be a leather belt. At one point, while another gang member continues the flogging, the leader places his foot on the victim’s neck and twists her arms.

Police chief Abid Khan said five of those arrested have been charged with torture and extortion, while the other five are under investigation.  The alleged gang leader, who identified himself as Jajja, told Dunya News that he was friends with the victim.

“I was punishing him because he didn’t refrain from his bad habits, which I pointed out to him several times,” he said in an interview conducted while he was in police custody.

Pakistani Police Arrest 10 for Flogging Transgender Woman

Intersex People Want State Recognition

The intersex community in Kenya has called on the government to take immediate administrative action to recognise them.

Speaking during the launch of a nationwide awareness initiative in Nairobi on Sunday, the group’s chairperson James Karanja urged the National Assembly to enact or amend laws to facilitate their legal recognition.

“We have to accept that there is a third gender. It is intersex, these are people with ambiguous genitalia. It is therefore imperative to have laws that recognize their existence and also provide a box where intersex people can tick just like others who are either male or female,” said Mr Karanja.

Intersex People Want State Recognition

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:48:18 PM by killersmom »
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 11:32:45 PM »
"Petition the Electoral College"

When Elijah Berg realized that Donald Trump was going to be our next president, even though Hillary Clinton got over four hundred thousand more votes than Trump did, he took the news sitting down. That is, he sat down at his computer and started a petition on Change.org: [needs URL for Petition the Electoral College hidden behind link]. In less than four days, the petition garnered over three and a half million signatures. At press time, three days later, the figure had climbed to nearly four and a half million. Little less than the future of the world is at stake. Viewed short or long-term, a Trump presidency would be a disaster for pretty much every civil right you can think of, for the environment, for the economy, and for world peace. That's pretty global, all right.

Trump wanted a revolution. Let's give him one--but an AMERICAN one, not delivered with guns and hate, but with voices heard. Let's show the world the way it SHOULD be done.

We can't give Heath the Oscar for Ennis del Mar, but we can give Hillary the White House. Sign the petition, pass it on, and send a link to your local press and TV stations. It's buzz that will do it, and nothing else.

PLEASE SIGN AND PASS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW:

https://www.change.org/p/electoral-college-electors-electoral-college-make-hillary-clinton-president-on-december-19
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 09:46:20 PM »

Tuesday, November 22nd, 2016

Heath Ledger: A Life In Pictures

He was famous for his prodigious acting talent and on-screen charisma.  Now Heath Ledger’s family want people to get to know the man behind the movie star.  Next year, the public will get to see a display of some of the late Perth actor’s most cherished possessions, memorabilia and mementos.

Some of the items include his Academy Award, BAFTA and Golden Globe for his penultimate role as The Joker in The Dark Knight, his Joker and Brokeback Mountain costumes, his personalised script for the The Dark Knight and perhaps the most insightful piece – the diary he kept while preparing for the iconic villainous role.

His Guildford Grammar blazer, his many cameras and photographs as well as his prized Ducati and Harley-Davidson motorcycles give a glimpse of his personal life.

Heath Ledger: A Life In Pictures

New Texas Bill Would Force School to Out Gay Students to Their Parents

A Texas state lawmaker has proposed a law that critics say would force schools to out gay students against their will to their parents.

State Rep. Konni Burton filed Senate Bill 242 just days after Donald Trump was elected president, amid increasing reports of harassment and violence against minorities across the country.

Elliott Griffin, Burton’s chief of staff, told the Houston Chronicle the bill was “written in response to the Fort Worth school district issuing new guidelines about transgender students.”

The guidelines required schools to recognize students based on their gender of choice while allowing them to use the bathroom of their choice. Griffin said those guidelines also limit parents’ access to information about their children.

New Texas Bill Would Force School to Out Gay Students to Their Parents

Lauren Jauregui Comes Out as Bisexual

Fifth Harmony singer Lauren Jauregui came out as bisexual in a scathing open letter to Donald Trump supporters published on Billboard Friday.  Jauregui writes that the letter is addressed to Trump supporters who claim they are not racist, homophobic, sexist, and xenophobic.

“I am a bisexual Cuban-American woman and I am so proud of it. I am proud to be part of a community that only projects love and education and the support of one another,” she writes. “I am proud to be the granddaughter and daughter of immigrants who were brave enough to leave their homes and come to a whole new world with a different language and culture and immerse themselves fearlessly to start a better life for themselves and their families.”

In it, she rails against opposition to so called “political correctness” and calls out Christians who voted for Trump as being un-Christ-like.

Lauren Jauregui Comes Out as Bisexual

Kandi Burruss Shuts Down Lesbian Rumors

Her career started in the 90s with girl-group Xscape, then she went solo as Kandi.  She later won Grammy awards for her song writing abilities, creating hits as "Bills Bills Bills" for Destiny's Child and "No Scrubs" for TLC.

Now, she stars on the Real Housewives of Atlanta.  However, The reality star is tired of all the rumors about her secret lesbian life and isn’t holding back any punches. Will Burruss finally put an end to all the rumors?

“Before I used to say, ‘You know what? I’m just gonna let it go,'” she explained. “You get tired of that. You get tired always being the one they fell like they can get away with saying stuff about because they know you’re not gonna say anything or whatever. This year? Uh uh.”

Kandi Burruss Shuts Down Lesbian Rumors

Transgender Activists Rally in New Orleans

Across the United States, Sunday marked the annual Transgender Day of Remembrance. It’s a solemn day, marking the lives of transgender people killed by violence.

In 2016, 26 transgender people died violently in the United States. In New Orleans, in June, the body of trans woman Goddess Diamond, 20, was discovered in a burning car in eastern New Orleans. The Orleans Parish coroner found that she had been killed by “blunt force trauma” before the fire.

BreakOUT!, an advocacy group for LGBTQ youth, had long planned to hold a remembrance ceremony. But after the recent national election, group members felt compelled to make the day into a larger rally, which they held on Sunday afternoon at Congo Square in Armstrong Park.

Meet Madin Lopez, A Genderqueer Hairstylist

In honor of Transgender Awareness Week, MTV is premiering Transformation, a one-hour documentary that explores the lives of six trans and gender non-conforming youth in Los Angeles.

The doc centers around Madin Lopez, founder of the non-profit Project Q, which helps LGBTQIA homeless youth. Lopez is a hairstylist who believes a full makeover is one of the best ways for a trans or gender non-conforming person to feel comfortable in their body. Throughout Transformation, Lopez offers free hairstyling and mentoring to the six subjects.

In an exclusive clip below, Lopez, now a married pet-owner, documents their tumultuous upbringing in the foster care system and why they're passionate about this work.

Meet Madin Lopez, A Genderqueer Hairstylist n

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: KillersMom, CellarDweller115, bubba

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:49:10 PM by killersmom »
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 07:28:28 PM »

Tuesday, November 29th, 2016

Jake Gyllenhaal Is The Best Actor Alive

Fashion designer Tom Ford’s second film, Nocturnal Animals, is fine.

It is a semi-convincing gothic about modern America — urban but fatally tied to a rural past, prosperous but insecure, intellectual but campy and incredibly violent. It uses the grotesquery of vintage Southern gothic literature, remixed with Sex and the City platitudes about love and ambition, to make a weird, hyper-specific portrait of what Amy Adams’ character Susan refers to as a culture of “all junk.”

Fashion designer Tom Ford’s second film, Nocturnal Animals, is fine.

It is a semi-convincing gothic about modern America — urban but fatally tied to a rural past, prosperous but insecure, intellectual but campy and incredibly violent. It uses the grotesquery of vintage Southern gothic literature, remixed with Sex and the City platitudes about love and ambition, to make a weird, hyper-specific portrait of what Amy Adams’ character Susan refers to as a culture of “all junk.”.

Jake Gyllenhaal Is The Best Actor Alive

UNC Professor Allowed to Harass LGBTQ Students

The first time Nada Merghani discovered Professor Mike Adams, it was because she was reading his Facebook post about her. 

“The only thing more disgusting than a jihadist Muslim is a pro-choice Muslim,” Adams, a criminology professor at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington, wrote in April 2015.  *
Merghani was just a 17-year-old freshman, and said she had never spoken to Adams before.

The self-described “black Queer Muslim” and Sudanese refugee said the post was just the beginning of what she says became a relentless period of harassment from Adams and his followers for the next year until she left the school in November.

UNC Professor Allowed to Harass LGBTQ Students

Nico Tortorella Is Bisexual, Not “Sexually Fluid”

Younger’s Nico Tortorella is profiled in Vulture this week, where we find him feeding pigeons Lucky Charms in Manhattan’s Tompkins Square Park and opening up about his sexuality, his past battles with drugs and alcohol, and why he never wants to marry another man.  Besides the fact that he has a propensity to talk about moon cycles and has an unusually fervid interest in the healing power of crystals, here are a few takeaways from the story, in his own words.

This is going to sound fucked, but I knew that he was really struggling. And I was like, Look, if I hook up with him, maybe it will make things easier for him.
We hooked up. There was no assplay at all. It was just dick-to-mouth here. He was shaken up about it and I was like, ‘It’s fine. What happened last night doesn’t make you the person that you are. Why are you putting so much weight on it?’ And when that happened, I was like, Oh, I’m thinking about this differently than everyone else is thinking about it..

Nico Tortorella Is Bisexual, Not “Sexually Fluid”

Meg Griffin is a Lesbian?

Of all the characters on Fox’s long-running cartoon comedy series, Family Guy, it’s Meg who all too often is the butt of so many jokes without having the benefit of a fully-fleshed out storyline. Showrunner Alec Sulkin suggests that may change in a future episode, with a potential plot that involves Meg revealing she is lesbian.

Although he stressed this was “by no means final,” Sulkin revealed that the Griffin’s oldest child might come out in an interview with the Split Sider website:  “Will you be doing episodes that flesh out other characters, like Meg and Chris?”

“That’s definitely something we’re working on. We certainly try to do episodes with them… Those characters are probably the most one-dimensional on the show. We are working on that, though. There’s one story we have, it’s by no means final, but it would involve Meg coming out as a lesbian.”

Meg Griffin is a Lesbian?

Here’s A Great Way To Explain What Transgender Means To Kids

The final episode of the first season of our favorite queer web series for kids is here ― and it’s tackling how to explain what it means to be transgender.

“Queer Kid Stuff” takes different queer experiences and identities and puts them into terms that are easily digestible ― and entertaining ― for children. Transgender is a more difficult idea to put into easily translatable terms for kids, since it can mean so many different things to different people. But “Queer Kid Stuff” creator Lindsay Amer does a brilliant job of breaking it down.

“Explaining what trans is to kids can be incredibly intimidating, but it is exceedingly necessary today with people like Laverne Cox, Janet Mock, and Caitlyn Jenner telling their stories and coming into the limelight,” Amer told The Huffington Post. “Kids are coming out as trans at very young ages, taking hormone blockers, and transitioning before puberty. I want to make sure kids are informed about trans topics so those struggling with their assignment early on can better understand, particularly when it involved gender dysphoria.”

Asexual

Professional sad-boi singer Morrissey is probably the most famous “asexual” celeb people have heard of. (Although he now identifies as “humasexual,” which is a term he made up to mean "stop asking me about my sex life.") An asexual is a person who doesn’t experience a sexual drive, according to Courtney D’Allaird, the coordinator for the Gender and Sexuality Resource Center at the University at Albany. Asexual people may feel attraction, but they don’t have the desire to act on it sexually. Unlike celibacy, which is giving up sex as a choice, being asexual is an orientation, like being gay or straight, according to the Asexual Visibility and Education Network (AVEN). Asexual people still crave connections with people and often form romantic relationships with others — they have the same emotional needs as any other person; they just don’t necessarily exchange bodily fluids.

Asexual

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:49:48 PM by killersmom »
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 09:40:37 PM »

Tuesday, December 6th, 2016

Parenting Without Heath Ledger

It’s been nearly eight years since Heath Ledger’s tragic death, but ex-wife (and mother of their 11-year-old daughter, Matilda) Michelle Williams has remained a successful parent and Oscar-nominated actress on her own. In a recent interview with Porter magazine, Williams shed a little insight into motherhood during the grieving process — as seen through the lens of her character in the critically acclaimed new drama Manchester by the Sea.

“It’s like the darkest part of your heart, something happening to your child … She’s making a brave choice, moment by moment, hour by hour, day by day,” Williams explains of her character’s drive to reclaim her life after loss. “Because it is a choice. I would exit,” she said. “It would be so much easier than living with the loss.” (In the movie, Williams’s character Mia becomes estranged from main actor Casey Affleck.)

Parenting Without Heath Ledger

The Gay Rights Movement Just Scored a Massive Legal Victory Thanks to Walmart

Until recently, Walmart was not exactly a corporate leader on LGBTQ equality, often waiting to provide benefits and protections to LGBTQ employees until the law compelled it. Today, however, the company is a strong supporter of LGBTQ rights—and on Friday, it made an immense impact on civil rights in the United States by implicitly acknowledging that anti-gay employment discrimination is already illegal under federal law.

Walmart’s contribution to gay rights emerged, ironically, out of a company-wide policy of discrimination. For years, the company provided health insurance benefits exclusively to opposite-sex spouses, refusing to extend benefits to same-sex spouses. Walmart abolished its anti-gay health insurance policy in 2014 as part of a push to shed its discriminatory image. But by that point, thousands of gay Walmart employees had been forced to pay huge sums of money to help pay their uninsured spouses’ medical bills.

Jacqueline Cote was one of these employees. In 2012, Cote’s wife, Diana Smithson, lost her health insurance and was then diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Smithson attempted to enroll in Cote’s insurance plan, but Walmart rejected her, citing its anti-gay policy. The couple eventually incurred $150,000 of uninsured medical expenses. (Smithson died in March.) Cote filed a charge of discrimination with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, alleging that Walmart’s policy violated Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits employment discrimination “because of sex.”

The Gay Rights Movement Just Scored a Massive Legal Victory Thanks to Walmart

Being Bisexual is on the Up – So How Come People Think I Just Can’t Decide?

Lauren Jauregui, one fifth of US girl supergroup Fifth Harmony, followed me on Twitter the other day, and I screamed. OK, so she follows 12.7K accounts, including someone called Briann whose profile picture is a bin.

But still, this was a big deal for me, and not only because I worship Fifth Harmony with a passion second only to my love for One Direction (RIP, 1D). The real reason I got excited was that Jauregui had just published an open letter to Donald Trump voters on the Billboard music site, revealing that she was a “proud” bisexual, denouncing the racism of the president-elect’s campaign and expressing pride in her Cuban heritage.

Jauregui’s not the only one. A YouGov survey published last year found that 49% of young people in the UK identify as something other than exclusively heterosexual. Bisexuals, and those who fall anywhere other than 100% gay or straight on the Kinsey scale, are on the up. Young people are coming out – not just privately, but loudly and unapologetically.

Being Bisexual is on the Up – So How Come People Think I Just Can’t Decide?

What Happens When A Lesbian Comes Out As Bi?

A new video from popular YouTube vlogger Arielle Scarcella features in a candid discussion about one woman’s journey from identifying as a lesbian to bisexual.

Our culture often only makes room for the idea that someone is either strictly bisexual (if their bisexuality isn’t being erased or denied, which it often is) or falsely asserts that a person will always end up gravitating towards either end of the sexuality spectrum after first identifying as bisexual. Lysandre Nadeau’s story, however, involves a somewhat different experience.

“I wanted to make a video showing that it’s possible to recognize your bisexuality from either end of the spectrum,” Scarcella told The Huffington Post. “Sometimes you’re gay until you’re not. Sometimes you’re straight until you’re not. [Nadeau’s] story is important because many lesbians aren’t as supportive when we ‘lose one of us.’ Truth is, we’re only losing them if we treat them as we have been ― which is badly.”

What Happens When A Lesbian Comes Out As Bi?

11 Transgender Americans Share Their Stories

Eleven Americans describe what it's like to be transgender in Timothy Greenfield-Sanders' new HBO documentary, The Trans List. Though the individuals in the film come from varied backgrounds, there is at least one common thread to their experiences: "We all come out publicly," lawyer Kylar Broadus tells Fresh Air's Terry Gross. "There is no hidden way to come out as a trans person."

Broadus, who is profiled in the documentary, was born female but has been living as a man since the 1990s. "I took a lot of crap [coming out], because, you know, I was out when lots of people weren't," he says. "At that time, everyone was losing their jobs. If you came out, you lost your job."

11 Transgender Americans Share Their Stories

I Wanted to Write About a Young Genderqueer Experience

Back in the late twentieth century, I wrote a story about a 13-year-old boy who, realizing he’s gay, considers killing himself.  The story found its way into the world first as a part of a one-person theatre piece, Word of Mouth, before it was made into a short film called Trevor, for which it won an Oscar. The story also inspired the founding of The Trevor Project, the only nationwide suicide prevention and crisis intervention lifeline for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (LGBTQ) youth.  But at the beginning of the story’s evolution, in the late 1980s, I was cautioned against writing about a gay young person. It was too dangerous a topic, I was told. To champion the lives of LGBTQ youth in the midst of the AIDS crisis, I heard repeatedly, was too risky. Had I listened to those voices back then I never would have learned that stories have the power to not only change lives, but also save them. 

A year ago, I proposed a young adult novel to a major publishing house about a young person grappling with issues of sexual identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation. My protagonist was a member of an ever-growing population of young people who identify not as LGBTQ but as genderqueer.  These are kids who refute the singularity of one gender. To emphasize the point, they refer to themselves in the plural: not “I” or “me” but as “they,” “them,” and “theirs.”

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:50:20 PM by killersmom »
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 08:53:08 PM »

Tuesday, December 20th, 2016

Living In The Public Eye

Talented “Manchester by the Sea” actress Michelle Williams is the face of ELLE’s new January issue. The magazine hit stores on Dec. 13 and featured a cover story article about Williams’ trouble with living in the public eye. ELLE’s website issued a snippet of her cover story interview where she talked about not always feeling like she’s living an authentic life, setting boundaries for herself, and her new role in the newly released drama film.

An Entertainment Tonight article about the ELLE interview explains that Williams is raising her 11-year-old daughter, Matilda Ledger, who she had with the late Heath Ledger. Having Matilda in the spotlight is a main concern for Williams.

Living In The Public Eye

‘Bud Sex’ Between Straight Rural Men

A lot of men have sex with other men but don’t identify as gay or bisexual. A subset of these men who have sex with men, or MSM, live lives that are, in all respects other than their occasional homosexual encounters, quite straight and traditionally masculine — they have wives and families, they embrace various masculine norms, and so on. They are able to, in effect, compartmentalize an aspect of their sex lives in a way that prevents it from blurring into or complicating their more public identities. Sociologists are quite interested in this phenomenon because it can tell us a lot about how humans interpret thorny questions of identity and sexual desire and cultural expectations.

‘Bud Sex’ Between Straight Rural Men

Bisexual boxer Nicola Adams named Female Athlete of the Year

Outsports has named its athletes of the year, with Orlando Cruz earning male athlete and Nicola Adams receiving the honor among female athletes. Both boxers had big years, with Cruz winning a North American title and Adams successfully defending her Olympic gold medal for the Great Britain team.

Honorable mention honorees are Marieke Vervoort, Christina Hillman, E.J. Proctor and Carly Muscaro.

Bisexual boxer Nicola Adams named Female Athlete of the Year

Lesbian Rockers Tegan & Sarah Launch Foundation.

Twin lesbian indie-pop duo Tegan and Sara just unveiled the Tegan and Sara Foundation, a foundation that pledges to do all of the following:

“support the work of other organizations who have been fighting for LGBTQ and women’s rights by raising funds and awareness for their initiatives fight against the repressive legislation of the incoming Trump administration…. fight against regressive homophobic, transphobic, and misogynistic legislation…. fight for economic, racial and gender justice…. dismantle the systems of inequity that prevent LGBTQ girls and women from reaching their full potential.”

Lesbian Rockers Tegan & Sarah Launch Foundation.

North Carolina Considers Transgender Bathroom Law Repeal this Week

A North Carolina law limiting bathroom access for transgender people could be repealed this week after months of protests and economic boycotts over legislation decried as discriminatory.

In a surprise development, outgoing Republican Governor Pat McCrory called the state legislature to convene on Wednesday to reconsider the law adopted in March baring transgender people from using government-run restrooms that match their gender identity.

North Carolina's law, the first of its kind, catapulted the state to the forefront of U.S. culture wars over lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) rights. It has been blamed for hundreds of millions of dollars in economic losses and the relocation of major sporting events.

Earlier on Monday, the city council in Charlotte, the state's largest city, voted to remove local non-discrimination measures that triggered the state's bathroom legislation, calling for immediately repeal the law known as House Bill (H.B.) 2.

North Carolina Considers Transgender Bathroom Law Repeal this Week

Back in the late twentieth century, I wrote a story about a 13-year-old boy who, realizing he’s gay, considers killing himself.  The story found its way into the world first as a part of a one-person theatre piece, Word of Mouth, before it was made into a short film called Trevor, for which it won an Oscar. The story also inspired the founding of The Trevor Project, the only nationwide suicide prevention and crisis intervention lifeline for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (LGBTQ) youth.  But at the beginning of the story’s evolution, in the late 1980s, I was cautioned against writing about a gay young person. It was too dangerous a topic, I was told. To champion the lives of LGBTQ youth in the midst of the AIDS crisis, I heard repeatedly, was too risky. Had I listened to those voices back then I never would have learned that stories have the power to not only change lives, but also save them. 

A year ago, I proposed a young adult novel to a major publishing house about a young person grappling with issues of sexual identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation. My protagonist was a member of an ever-growing population of young people who identify not as LGBTQ but as genderqueer.  These are kids who refute the singularity of one gender. To emphasize the point, they refer to themselves in the plural: not “I” or “me” but as “they,” “them,” and “theirs.”

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:50:56 PM by killersmom »
Call Me By Your Name