The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2022  (Read 763213 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
Re: News and Current Events - 2017
« Reply #300 on: January 29, 2017, 08:02:01 PM »
Ah! We have a multitude of translators!

That was German 101.  ;)

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #301 on: January 30, 2017, 03:09:26 AM »
Hatred in Canada.😢

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #302 on: January 30, 2017, 04:50:38 AM »

:(
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #303 on: January 30, 2017, 11:00:14 AM »
Hatred in Canada.😢

?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #304 on: January 30, 2017, 11:02:20 AM »
I know this is soooo totally silly to put here among the Trump posts, but I love the fact that a saying that started with a drag queen  (Bianca Del Rio - RuPaul's Drag Race season 6) is suddenly becoming a huge meme.

Not silly at all, Chuck, and totally apropos!

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #306 on: January 30, 2017, 11:41:43 AM »
Quebec mosque shooting: Police arrest a suspect and a witness
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38800907

Sorry, I didn't think it needed explaining.

You know how U.S.-centric the news is here. I caught something--briefly--on TV news this morning, but I was out of the room at the time, and pretty much just heard that PM Trudeau said something about something.  :(

Offline Pepe1

• Expert
« Reply #307 on: January 30, 2017, 11:54:06 AM »

Just terrible, terrible....condolences are coming in from all over the world.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-reaction-mosque-shooting-1.3957938

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #308 on: January 31, 2017, 01:33:04 PM »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #309 on: January 31, 2017, 04:22:40 PM »

From the HRC, the Human Rights Campaign, a national LGBT organization:

Yesterday, HRC learned that a possible "license to discriminate" executive order targeting lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) Americans is circulating through Donald Trump's White House.

Despite White House statements concerning President Obama's previous executive order, right now the administration is still considering executive actions that would allow government employees, taxpayer-funded organizations or even companies to discriminate against LGBTQ people. This announcement could come as early as this week. LGBTQ refugees, immigrants, Muslims and women are scared today, and with good reason. Donald Trump has done nothing but undermine equality since he set foot in the White House.

I want to be clear about something: The LGBTQ community has been under attack by this president and this administration since day one. On top of this, tonight Trump is slated to announce his pick for the Supreme Court — someone he’s already said would be in the same mold as the vehemently anti-LGBTQ predecessor. We would be naive to think that the Trump administration won’t pursue such an attack on equality. After all, Donald Trump campaigned on this promise.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #310 on: February 01, 2017, 09:51:15 AM »
So The Donald has nominated Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court. Unfortunately, I guess he will probably also get to nominate a successor to Ruth Bader Ginsberg. I haven't heard or read anything, but she can't last forever.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #311 on: February 01, 2017, 11:18:31 AM »

Of course, lots of talk about it, a lot of supporters of the Democrats want the Democrats in the Senate to
obstruct the nominee because of what the Republicans did when the seat became vacant A YEAR AGO.

I have to say, I am in that camp because I think that is the single worst thing the Republicans did
during President Obama's Presidency. There was no justification not to hold hearings and vote on
Merrick Garland except that the Republicans felt completely entitled to that seat and blatantly showed
their partisanship in the matter, led by the supreme douchebag Mitch McConnell. Their reasoning was
that "the primary process had already started and that it should be decided by "the people" in the then
upcoming election. (Never mind that "the people" elected President Obama and that this was HIS perogative.)
As for "the primary process being underway, it was underway for months prior to that. It was a blatant and
hypocritical power play by the Republicans and they got away with it.

And, if you recall, in early October, when the polls suggested Hillary Clinton would win, no other than John McCain
and others like Ted Cruz and MIke Lee (Utah) were publicly signaling that more unprecedented obstruction would
be on the horizon if Hillary Clinton won the White House. THey said “I promise you that we will be united against
any Supreme Court nominee that Hillary Clinton, if she were president, would put up. I promise you.”

I say, right back at ya.  It takes 60 votes in the Senate to approve a Supreme Court nominee, which means at least
eight Democratic senators need to vote yes on it.  I say obstruct as much as they did.  The Democrats always seem to
want to play nice ("When they go low, we go high"), but when do these SOB's ever have to pay for their obstruction?
It would only take 51 Senators to change the rules back to making it a simple majority to approve a Supreme Court
justice and they currently have the power to do that, and you know they would, so I say make them go on record and
show just exactly how partisan they are by doing that.  The Trump supporters were all whining about accountability, well
let's make them all accountable.  (And watch them whine about how they're the victim of partisan Democrats, boo hoo
hoo.) I'm writing to my two Democratic Senators right now to vote NO on this nominee.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #312 on: February 01, 2017, 12:18:35 PM »
I agree with you, Lyle, obstruction, "douchebag," and all.  ;D  I'm just not taking up the space to quote you.  :)

Offline Pepe1

• Expert
« Reply #313 on: February 01, 2017, 02:50:40 PM »
Meanwhile ...

Day 12 of the Obama vacation ... and you've NEVER seen Barack and Michelle Obama so relaxed.

Thong sandals? Check. Shades? Check. Panama hat and snapback cap? Check and check.

They're getting so comfortable touring their pal Sir Richard Branson's many Virgin Islands ... they might never come back. Honestly ... would you?

Sasha and Malia will be fine.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/02/01/barack-michelle-obama-vacation-virgin-islands/

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #314 on: February 02, 2017, 08:18:53 AM »
Meanwhile ...

Day 12 of the Obama vacation ... and you've NEVER seen Barack and Michelle Obama so relaxed.

Thong sandals? Check. Shades? Check. Panama hat and snapback cap? Check and check.

They're getting so comfortable touring their pal Sir Richard Branson's many Virgin Islands ... they might never come back. Honestly ... would you?

Sasha and Malia will be fine.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/02/01/barack-michelle-obama-vacation-virgin-islands/

So, what? They went off on a luxury vacation and made Sasha and Malia stay behind to go to school? If I were Sasha or Malia, I'd be pissed off at Mom and Dad.  :D