The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2022  (Read 753076 times)

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
Re: News and Current Events - 2017
« Reply #420 on: February 23, 2017, 02:06:37 AM »
^^^^^^

To answer your question...

First, this is what Trump said:

He began talking about having to keep our country safe and migration in Europe and he linked it to terror attacks in Brussels, Nice and Paris - before inexplicably adding Sweden to the list. Mr. Trump told supporters in Melbourne, FL: "We've got to keep our country safe. You look at what's happening in Germany, you look at what's happening last night in Sweden. "Sweden, who would believe this. Sweden. They took in large numbers. They're having problems like they never thought possible. You look at what's happening in Brussels. You look at what's happening all over the world. Take a look at Nice. Take a look at Paris."

The story you linked says:

Three suspected neo-Nazis were arrested in January after a Gothenburg Asylum centre became the target of a homemade bomb attack, leaving one person seriously injured. Security services said all three suspects had previously been members of the Nordic Resistance Movement (NMR), a group that openly promotes racist and anti-Semitic views and has vocally opposed non-white immigration to the country.

Now, to your question.

First, Trump said there was a terrorist attack "last night." This incident happened last January.

Second, Trump's speech was about immigrants and refugees being the cause of terrorist attacks and
other problems and he linked those to Brussels, Paris, Germany, and Nice. Then he threw in Sweden.
(Last night.) But this incident you brought up wasn't an attack performed by any refugees or immigrants.
It was committed by right-wing (Swedish) extremists against refugees. (And not last night.")

So for the headline to say Trump was right means one has to do a lot of convoluting to come up with an
answer one wants to hear.‎

I suppose this incident was dug up because reporters hearing Trump's speech were looking into everything
that happened in Sweden lately and found this item. Your "How come the Brit media only reported this?"
might be because they found it because they were looking for something. But I have to ask you how you think
the incident needed to be reported? The bomb didn't kill anyone. This Swedish group isn't any group that people
in the U.S. know. I wager in Britain, either. And it also depends how people are using the word "terror." I happen
to think Trump is a terrorist.

What is your opinion?

Isn't the point that the report was ironic? That the "terrorists" were not Muslim but neo-nazis?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #421 on: February 23, 2017, 10:22:35 AM »

Well, "I" thought so, but I wasn't sure the original commenter did.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #422 on: February 23, 2017, 11:51:43 AM »
Looks to me like the headline is ironic, though supporters of the Fake President surely wouldn't take it that way.

But clearly the Fake President, in his typical xenophobic, anti-refugee/anti-immigrant way, was not referring to an attack on refugees by native-born Swedes.

Offline TinyTina

• Feet Wet
  • Jamaican Native Gurrl
« Reply #423 on: February 23, 2017, 12:49:58 PM »
These Republicans didn't like Trump at first. They do now.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/21/politics/donald-trump-republican-support/index.html

An interesting read!  Always curious as to how people think..

Yes, and I'm pleasantly shocked at how CNN's Jodi Enda is attempting to appear objective and fair.

T.T.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #424 on: February 24, 2017, 07:22:00 AM »
So, would you consider this speaking out of both sides of your mouth?

On the one hand, Betsy DeVos says that the issue of bathrooms for transgender students "is an issue best solved at the state and local level." Then she proceeds to say, "I have dedicated my career to advocating for and fighting on behalf of students. And as secretary of education, I consider protecting all students, including LGBTQ students, not only a key priority for the department, but for every school in America."

Tell you what. Kids can be pretty mean and nasty, especially to someone who is "different." Has anybody seen anyone address the question of whether or not transgender students can safely use a bathroom that corresponds to their gender identity, or presentation (sorry, I'm unsure what the proper word is here)? It's entirely possible that I just missed this, but has anyone else seen anything about it?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #425 on: February 24, 2017, 10:23:26 AM »
On the one hand, Betsy DeVos says that the issue of bathrooms for transgender students "is an issue best solved at the state and local level."

Every time there's an issue that Republicans don't like, they trot out the "it's an issue best solved at the state and local level."

This is what that means to them:  "At least we can have our way in some of the states."   In the "olden days" when most of
the population did not move around or travel within fifty miles of where they were born, this might have been tenable, but people
move and travel all the time now. National policies give uniform value to the individual no matter what state they're in. They still
argue that things like marriage equality, abortion and the like should be within a state's only purview.

Offline TinyTina

• Feet Wet
  • Jamaican Native Gurrl
« Reply #426 on: February 24, 2017, 10:32:55 AM »
Well, if The Donald is going to refer to the media as "the fake media," I think it's time I begin referring to him as "the Fake President."

I don't really know much about Donald Trump, but, really, haven't all of America's recent presidents been fakes? I mean, like,
George H.W. Bush - the oil industry's puppet ? Pres. Clinton - the Rhodes-CFR globalist ? the other George Bush -  a Dick Cheney/neo-con product? And Pres. Obama? - oh, dear me.

The flap about "fake news" reminded me of the time that Sec. Hillary Clinton testified to members of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee that all of the US media news was essentially useless,  America would be better off listening to All Jazeera, b/c it is "real news."
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/video/hillary-clinton-al-jazeera-real-news-13042310

Someone here has a video clip of an angry Chris Matthews during his MSNBC commercial break accidentally caught on open mic asking his producer, When are we going to cut the bullshit and start telling the American people the truth about what's going on in this country?

T.T.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #427 on: February 24, 2017, 01:21:13 PM »

I don't really know much about Donald Trump.

It might be a good idea to start reading up on him, Friend.

But, really, haven't all of America's recent presidents been fakes? I mean, like,
George H.W. Bush - the oil industry's puppet ? Pres. Clinton - the Rhodes-CFR globalist ? the other George Bush -  a Dick Cheney/neo-con product? And Pres. Obama? - oh, dear me.

Perhaps we're not using fake in the same sense. It seems to me that the way you are using it could probably be applied to every President back to John Adams. If I remember correctly, of all the Presidents you list, only George W. Bush ("the other George Bush") won the Presidency while losing the popular vote, as did The Donald. And none of them engaged in the constant, repetitive, juvenile name-calling that The Donald has done. George W. Bush was certainly not fond of the press, but as far as I know and remember he never called the media "fake." He didn't insult the press by calling it "failing," as the The Donald has done to The New York Times, and his people did not engage in "alternative facts" or make up terrorist attacks that never happened.

The Donald cannot abide anything he cannot control, or anyone who does not think he's the greatest thing since Jesus Christ. He cannot control The New York Times, the Washington Post, or the BBC, for example, so he has to belittle them as "the fake media," even when their "fake news" contributed to his firing of Flynn (as was reported this evening on BBC America). Same goes with people. If he can't control them, or they won't kiss his ... whatever ..., he has to belittle them.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 06:24:33 PM by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #428 on: February 24, 2017, 05:43:25 PM »
Even if I wanted to visit, they probably wouldn't let me across the border. #trumpslump

The Travel Press is Reporting the 'Trump Slump,' a Devastating Drop in Tourism to the United States
Experts across the travel industry are warning that masses of tourists are being scared away from visiting the United States, and the loss of tourism jobs could be devastating.
By Arthur Frommer

http://www.frommers.com/tips/miscellaneous/the-travel-press-is-reporting-the-trump-slump-a-devastating-drop-in-tourism-to-the-united-states
"Yer fond of me lobster aint' ye? I seen it - yer fond of me lobster! Say it! Say it. Say it!" - The Lighthouse.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #429 on: February 24, 2017, 07:02:47 PM »
Hope he's happy.

Not really.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #430 on: February 24, 2017, 07:39:55 PM »
Week before last on one of the morning news shows, they were talking about the 17% drop in tourism. That is billions of dollars in tourism lost and thousands of tourism related jobs lost. As of Feb. 8, $185 million in business travel bookings have been lost because of the ban.

He is bankrupting the country and he does not give a shit.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #431 on: February 24, 2017, 08:02:08 PM »
As long as he personally continues making money, it doesn't make any difference.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #432 on: February 24, 2017, 08:13:38 PM »
You are absolutely correct, Fritz!! :(
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #433 on: February 24, 2017, 08:51:22 PM »
Even if I wanted to visit, they probably wouldn't let me across the border. #trumpslump

The Travel Press is Reporting the 'Trump Slump,' a Devastating Drop in Tourism to the United States
Experts across the travel industry are warning that masses of tourists are being scared away from visiting the United States, and the loss of tourism jobs could be devastating.
By Arthur Frommer

http://www.frommers.com/tips/miscellaneous/the-travel-press-is-reporting-the-trump-slump-a-devastating-drop-in-tourism-to-the-united-states

No wonder.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-25/mem-fox-detained-at-los-angeles-airport-by-us-officials/8303366

When I was working as a teacher-librarian, I read some of Mem Fox's books and met her at conferences.
If I had not already paid a sizeable deposit on my Alaska Cruise in June, I would have cancelled my whole trip last November.

Offline TinyTina

• Feet Wet
  • Jamaican Native Gurrl
« Reply #434 on: February 24, 2017, 09:33:25 PM »
It might be a good idea to start reading up on him, Friend.
Where to find unbiased political views, these days? It seems that almost every western news outlet  is consistently Trump negative, which imo is a sure sign of a stacked deck, i.e., fake news, which Mrs. Clinton highlighted in her testimony before the Senate FRC.

Perhaps we're not using fake in the same sense. It seems to me that the way you are using it could probably be applied to every President back to John Adams.
Perhaps you're right. Perhaps you meant, "fake news President", instead?

only George W. Bush ("the other George Bush") won the Presidency while losing the popular vote
^^^Implying that winning an election via the US electoral college is somehow not valid?

And none of them engaged in the constant, repetitive, juvenile name-calling that The Donald has done.
You're right, his rhetoric is unique, for sure. And sadly, it's apparently very effective. None of the other bozos he went up against dared to step out of line and go rogue in order to win the Primary.

George W. Bush was certainly not fond of the press, but as far as I know and remember he never called the media "fake." He didn't insult the press by calling it "failing," as the The Donald has done to The New York Times, and his people did not engage in "alternative facts" .
GW Bush went much further than that, friend. He exploited the media, illegally unleashing white house-produced propaganda videos (VNRs) pro-war fake news to be delivered to TV stations across the US, to put in the faces of Americans..
Bush issued orders to shut down showings of Michael Moore's documentaries in the US, as I recall, even got 'Fahrenheit 9/11'  de-funded, and threatened Disney/Miramar and theater owners across the country with lawsuits if they showed the film.
According to the Secret Service, after a reporter asked W why a callboy named "Jeff Gannon" was allowed access to the White House day and night countless times, and was now posing as a staff reporter in the Press Briefing Room, (Bush reportedly went ballistic, told his secretary, there ought to be limits to freedom of speech, along with a string of nasty things.)

The Donald cannot abide anything he cannot control, or anyone who does not think he's the greatest thing since Jesus Christ. He cannot control The New York Times, the Washington Post, or the BBC, for example, so he has to belittle them as "the fake media," even when their "fake news" contributed to his firing of Flynn (as was reported this evening on BBC America). Same goes with people. If he can't control them, or they won't kiss his ... whatever ..., he has to belittle them.
Maybe so. Who can say for sure what Trump knows or  what really drives him? He's probably a lot more complicated a man than we like to think that he is. Or that we like to think we ourselves are.
I read somewhere that The New York Times and other newspapers have been failing for a while now, shuttering offices and laying off staff.
I do recall that The NY Times got into bed with Bush to promote from his fake "war on terror," the unwarranted invasions of Muslim nations, and yet again to keep stories about his illegal NSA spying on Americans , hidden for over a year. And that's not all.

The BBC often renders fake news, I'm recalling their biggest piece of fakery -- they announced that New York City's  World Trade Centre Building 7 had collapsed into a heap of dust and rubble around 20 minutes before the event occurred.

I still don't understand why that General Flynn guy resigned over a blast of hot air.

T.T.