The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2022  (Read 763409 times)

Offline TinyTina

• Feet Wet
  • Jamaican Native Gurrl
Re: News and Current Events - 2017
« Reply #435 on: February 25, 2017, 09:32:09 AM »
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-25/mem-fox-detained-at-los-angeles-airport-by-us-officials/8303366
When I was working as a teacher-librarian, I read some of Mem Fox's books and met her at conferences.
If I had not already paid a sizeable deposit on my Alaska Cruise in June, I would have cancelled my whole trip last November.
I absolutely love Mem's children's books!  :-*
I didn't understand why she was detained by U.S. authorities, especially considering that she'd been there 116 times before?

But I am confused, why on earth would you have canceled your trip to Alaska?? <scratching head>

Even if I wanted to visit, they probably wouldn't let me across the border.

And oilgun, where do you hail from & why would you not be allowed to enter the United States?? Are you on a no-fly list?  Are you from one of the seven Muslim countries?

T.T.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 09:49:59 AM by TinyTina »

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #436 on: February 25, 2017, 09:45:36 AM »

But I am confused, why on earth would have canceled your trip to Alaska?? <scratching head>

T.T.

Deny oneself to punish Trump?  Just speculating...
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline TinyTina

• Feet Wet
  • Jamaican Native Gurrl
« Reply #437 on: February 25, 2017, 10:08:00 AM »
Wow  ???  I wouldn't waste even a minute's sleep over a politician.

T.T.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #438 on: February 25, 2017, 10:17:52 AM »
Quite a number of politicians thrive and are completely dependent upon this type of apathy.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #439 on: February 25, 2017, 10:27:28 AM »
Where to find unbiased political views, these days? It seems that almost every western news outlet is consistently Trump negative, which imo is a sure sign of a stacked deck, i.e., fake news.

Looks like Trump and the right-wing news media has gotten you to believe
the press is dealing in fake news. Let's stop this "fake" news meme.

You have bought into an idea that for every thing good or bad that comes across the news there has to be a corresponding
bad to go with the good or good to go with the bad.

That's not how it works. If you can't objectively see what kind of man DJT is, then I don't know what to tell you.
Democrats and Republicans alike have been writing about this man running for President for over a year. They have
all been warning about what a DJT presidency would be like. Public officials from every persuasion have been sending
up warning signals during the election for months. The hundreds of newspaper and magazine endorsements almost
unanimously said DO NOT VOTE FOR THIS MAN. Even the Republican/Conservative leaning newspapers who hadn't
EVER endorsed anyone but a Republican.

After years of belittling President Obama believing he was not born in this country before announcing his candidacy,
that was the first red flag he sent up that immediately disqualified him from office. And each and every day after that
he's sent up red flags.  I guess you saw all these red flags and assumed it was a parade or something.

Then after all this, what you get out of this negative reaction is that "the deck is stacked against him" meaning that
you don't think any of it is warranted? 

^^^Implying that winning an election via the US electoral college is somehow not valid?

You saying that is a dismissive tactic to lessen the other persons point. Jeff was not implying it wasn't valid,
nor has anyone else, but Trump himself has gone on and on implying it wasn't valid, even though he won.
He blames 3-5 million illegal voters for the reason he did not receive more of the National vote than HRC did.
He now blames thousands of Massachusetts citizens going to New Hampshire by the bus loads to vote there
for the reason he lost the state and why Kelly Ayotte lost the Senate seat. The fact he won the election does
not imply he has a mandate from a majority of the people, though he is acting like it.  And before the election
itself he stated if he did not win it it was rigged. So give me a break.

Bush issued orders to shut down showings of Michael Moore's documentaries in the US, as I recall, even got 'Fahrenheit 9/11'  de-funded, and threatened Disney/Miramar and theater owners across the country with lawsuits if they showed the film.

Now that is fake news.

Who can say for sure what Trump knows or what really drives him? He's probably a lot more complicated
a man than we like to think that he is. Or that we like to think we ourselves are.

Wow, yes, that's what I look for in a President when I decide who to vote for: "Someone I can't say for sure what
they know."  Do you really think he's that complicated or is it a way to support him, believing there must be more
than meets the eye. (Hint: There isn't.)

But what drives him? All you need to know about Trump is who he himself says was the most influential person in
his life: Roy Cohn.

I go back to the beginning of his Presidential bid.  On the day he announced I knew he was a birther and had been
for years. So, do I want someone with a delusional attitude like that, willing to dwell on it for years and never let it
go, periodically insisting they had breaking news about it and it would blow the lid off the issue. Talk about fake. The
answer to any sane person should have been NO WAY. He's disqualified to be President. Not to mention the daily
grind he slung at the people every day after that. But, what was said in an article I posted from last summer and
mentioned again after the election. Trump's candidacy is a joke and always was a joke. If you supported him you
were IN on the joke. (And I use "you" here in the collective sense.) You enjoyed the joke. You liked the show. You
could put one over on everyone you think you didn't like or was wronging you in some fashion. (As Michael Moore
said, "They could collectively send the biggest f--- you to the establishment by voting for the joke.) Then you elected
the joke. And now we have a joke President.

I read somewhere...

A very Trumpian phrase.  "I read somewhere..."  "Oh, people are saying..."  "I heard..."
"Many people say that..." "I only know what I read on the internet..."  "I alone can fix it..."

The BBC often renders fake news, I'm recalling their biggest piece of fakery -- they announced that New York City's  World Trade Centre Building 7 had collapsed into a heap of dust and rubble around 20 minutes before the event occurred.

It seems to me that anyone knows that while horrendous events are happening that information
delivered while they are happening often turns out to be incorrect later on or has been exaggerated.
Anytime a situation occurs with a nuclear power plant, like Fukishima, any government always says
"The reactor is fine. There isn't anything to worry about. You are safe."  Then the news media reports
it. Don't ever believe the reporting on these things...while it is occurring.

What you have done is to go back and find something reported that wasn't true at the time and then
seem to believe there was some nefariousness behind it.  Then anything said afterwards as to why that
occurred you don't believe and just think they are denying what you feel.  In any case, on that subject
try this explanation out for size:

Controversy and Conspiracies III
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theeditors/2008/07/controversy_conspiracies_iii.html

I still don't understand why that General Flynn guy resigned over a blast of hot air.

Really?  You think it's all just hot air?

Sorry T.T., I do not suffer Trump supporters gladly.  And it's not because of anything to do with ANY
"policies" or anything political.  It's HIM.  He's a boorish rich (so he claims) entitled lout who is only
interested in himself, doesn't know anything about running a Government, is wronged by anyone
who speaks negatively about him and will pursue it ad infinitum (Rosie O'Donnell did a two minute
diss on him on The View over ten years ago and he still won't let it go) refuses to acknowledge any
negative Russian attribute, but rails against our close allies and I could continue, but I'm through for
the moment.

With all of that, I am ashamed and appalled that a man like this was chosen to represent the country I love.
And every day the shame gets worse.

Offline Pepe1

• Expert
« Reply #440 on: February 25, 2017, 10:29:28 AM »
A lawyer says the son of legendary boxer Muhammad Ali was detained by immigration officials at a Florida airport.

Chris Mancini tells the Courier-Journal in Louisville, Kentucky that 44-year-old Muhammad Ali Jr. and his mother Khalilah Camacho-Ali, the second wife of Muhammad Ali, arrived at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport on Feb. 7 after returning from Jamaica.

Mancini says officials questioned Ali Jr. for nearly two hours, repeatedly asking him, “Where did you get your name from?” and “Are you Muslim?”

Mancini says officials continued questioning Ali Jr. after acknowledging that he was Muslim. Ali Jr. was born in Philadelphia and holds a U.S. passport.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials say they “cannot discuss individual travellers; however, all international travellers arriving in the U.S. are subject to CBP inspection.”

>:D

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/boxing-legend-muhammad-alis-son-detained-at-florida-airport-asked-are-you-muslim/article34137579/

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #441 on: February 25, 2017, 10:31:46 AM »

As for travel to the U.S. -- I'm sure other countries televise Trump's speeches, or parts of them,
like his campaign rally  ::)  in Florida last weekend.  Why would they want to come here. According
to Trump, every city reeks of American carnage and is filthy, dangerous, desolate and ravaged. Who'd
want to visit that?

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #442 on: February 25, 2017, 01:32:26 PM »

And oilgun, where do you hail from & why would you not be allowed to enter the United States?? Are you on a no-fly list?  Are you from one of the seven Muslim countries?

T.T.

I'm in Canada. They ask people for their phone password, which i would have changed to "fuckyou" prior to the trip, and one look at my facebook page would make it clear that I don't think much of President Bannon and co. Apparently, that's enough to be denied entry in the US. Of course, I am white, so I might just slip in. In any event I've decided to boycott the US until things change.

And btw, any news outlet that isn't Trump negative is by default fake news because there is nothing positive to report about this administration.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 01:41:19 PM by oilgun »
"Yer fond of me lobster aint' ye? I seen it - yer fond of me lobster! Say it! Say it. Say it!" - The Lighthouse.

Offline TinyTina

• Feet Wet
  • Jamaican Native Gurrl
« Reply #443 on: February 25, 2017, 03:18:50 PM »
I'm in Canada. They ask people for their phone password, which i would have changed to "*******" prior to the trip, and one look at my facebook page would make it clear that I don't think much of President Bannon and co. Apparently, that's enough to be denied entry in the US. Of course, I am white, so I might just slip in.
Oh, you really had me GOING until I read that! 
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

T.T.

Offline TinyTina

• Feet Wet
  • Jamaican Native Gurrl
« Reply #444 on: February 25, 2017, 03:28:26 PM »
A lawyer says the son of legendary boxer Muhammad Ali was detained by immigration officials at a Florida airport.

Mancini says officials questioned Ali Jr. for nearly two hours, repeatedly asking him, “Where did you get your name from?” and “Are you Muslim?”
Mancini says officials continued questioning Ali Jr. after acknowledging that he was Muslim. Ali Jr. was born in Philadelphia and holds a U.S. passport.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/boxing-legend-muhammad-alis-son-detained-at-florida-airport-asked-are-you-muslim/article34137579/
[/size]

Wow, two hours! Those officials must have a really high threshold of boredom. Or maybe they are being paid by the hour?

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 03:43:16 PM by TinyTina »

Offline TinyTina

• Feet Wet
  • Jamaican Native Gurrl
« Reply #445 on: February 25, 2017, 03:56:02 PM »
Quite a number of politicians thrive and are completely dependent upon this type of apathy.

I voted, sorry fritzkep, but that's the limit of my duty.
Call it apathy if you want but I personally will not be staying up nights to worry about the Billionaire President.

T.T.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #446 on: February 25, 2017, 04:33:43 PM »
Where to find unbiased political views, these days? It seems that almost every western news outlet  is consistently Trump negative, which imo is a sure sign of a stacked deck, i.e., fake news, which Mrs. Clinton highlighted in her testimony before the Senate FRC.

No. A point of view--even if it's biased--is not fake news. Fake news is exclaiming over terror attacks in Sweden and in the U.S. state of Kentucky that never happened. Fake news is lying.

Perhaps you're right. Perhaps you meant, "fake news President", instead?

No, I do not. I mean exactly what I said. As far as I'm concerned, he is a Fake President. He is a loud-mouthed, self-centered, self-absorbed bully with no credibility at all and is a disgrace to the office he occupies.

^^^Implying that winning an election via the US electoral college is somehow not valid?

I never said that, either. (Thanks, Lyle.)

You're right, his rhetoric is unique, for sure. And sadly, it's apparently very effective. None of the other bozos he went up against dared to step out of line and go rogue in order to win the Primary.
GW Bush went much further than that, friend. He exploited the media, illegally unleashing white house-produced propaganda videos (VNRs) pro-war fake news to be delivered to TV stations across the US, to put in the faces of Americans..
Bush issued orders to shut down showings of Michael Moore's documentaries in the US, as I recall, even got 'Fahrenheit 9/11'  de-funded, and threatened Disney/Miramar and theater owners across the country with lawsuits if they showed the film.
According to the Secret Service, after a reporter asked W why a callboy named "Jeff Gannon" was allowed access to the White House day and night countless times, and was now posing as a staff reporter in the Press Briefing Room, (Bush reportedly went ballistic, told his secretary, there ought to be limits to freedom of speech, along with a string of nasty things.)
 Maybe so. Who can say for sure what Trump knows or  what really drives him? He's probably a lot more complicated a man than we like to think that he is. Or that we like to think we ourselves are.
I read somewhere that The New York Times and other newspapers have been failing for a while now, shuttering offices and laying off staff.
I do recall that The NY Times got into bed with Bush to promote from his fake "war on terror," the unwarranted invasions of Muslim nations, and yet again to keep stories about his illegal NSA spying on Americans , hidden for over a year. And that's not all.

Hmm. For someone who claimed not to know much about The Donald, you seem to know a lot about George W. Bush and Hillary Clinton. Just sayin'.

The BBC often renders fake news, I'm recalling their biggest piece of fakery -- they announced that New York City's  World Trade Centre Building 7 had collapsed into a heap of dust and rubble around 20 minutes before the event occurred.

Since you spell "Center" as "Centre" in the British way, that suggests that you are not a citizen or resident of the U.S. Where were you and how old were you on Sept. 11, 2001? There was a lot of confusion that morning as all news organizations grappled to cover and to understand what was happening that morning. A mistake in buildings is not "fake news." For fake news I again refer you to the nonexistent terror attacks in Sweden and Kentucky,

I still don't understand why that General Flynn guy resigned over a blast of hot air.

T.T.

And lying to the Vice President is "a blast of hot air" how?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 04:43:50 PM by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #447 on: February 25, 2017, 04:39:11 PM »
Deny oneself to punish Trump?  Just speculating...

How about, Decline to spend tourist dollars in the U.S. because of that person occupying the Oval Office?

Offline TinyTina

• Feet Wet
  • Jamaican Native Gurrl
« Reply #448 on: February 25, 2017, 05:22:46 PM »
Gay Men at CPAC: "We Want Inclusion from Within"
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg_xk5sUyw4

Gay conservatives?

T.T.

Offline TinyTina

• Feet Wet
  • Jamaican Native Gurrl
« Reply #449 on: February 25, 2017, 05:36:10 PM »
A mistake in buildings is not "fake news."
Jeff,

Mistake? WTC1 and WTC-2 were destroyed in the morning, whilst Building 7 went down in the afternoon.  I thought everyone knew that.

The BBC America reporter in NY was standing with her back toward Building 7, whilst she was reporting the building as having collapsed. It didn't go down until 23 minutes later.

T.T.