The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2022  (Read 753147 times)

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
Re: News and Current Events - 2017
« Reply #495 on: February 28, 2017, 04:47:18 PM »
this is a big who cares...there are  more important, not to mention frightening, things they're doing in the oval office...

Unprofessional?  no, and who cares...

Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #496 on: February 28, 2017, 04:50:46 PM »
I got the impression he's not happy with The Donald but didn't want to come right out about it.

It's my understanding that the Bush family is not pleased with Donald blocking Jeb's turn in the WH.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #497 on: February 28, 2017, 04:51:38 PM »
yes, you would think the trashing he gave Jeb wouldn't soon be forgotten.
Bye, Felicia

Offline Pepe1

• Expert
« Reply #498 on: February 28, 2017, 04:55:27 PM »
Tell you what, until I heard it and saw it on local 6 p.m. news, I didn't realize she was doing this in front of visitors to the Oval Office who represented historically Black colleges. The photo on the news "pulled back" so you could see the office was full of visitors.

This shows an astonishing lack of both professionalism and just plain good manners.

I'd call her South Jersey trailer trash, but I don't want to insult South Jersey trailer trash.

Exactly, there was an important audience, not the time or the place...

As for the Bush's they didn't vote for Hillary or Trump!

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #499 on: February 28, 2017, 05:21:35 PM »
Anybody read about the meeting?  Read what the guests were really upset about...enough with the feet on the couch already...

Among those invited to attend were Walter Kimbrough, president of Dillard University in New Orleans. He described the meeting in a post on Medium on Monday afternoon. He’d been anticipating being able to give remarks focused on the need to support the Pell grant program, a vital support system for his students. But, as he noted, he and other anticipated speakers saw the amount of time they were allotted to speak at the “listening session” decreased significantly.

“I’m still processing that entire experience” of being in the Oval Office, he wrote. “But needless to say that threw the day off and there was very little listening to HBCU presidents today — we were only given about 2 minutes each, and that was cut to one minute, so only about 7 of maybe 15 or so speakers were given an opportunity today.”

Meaning that, of that group in that photo at the top of the page, at the White House for a listening session, the total amount of time they spent talking was under 10 minutes. No wonder the secretary of education seems to be unclear on the genesis of the HBCU system.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/02/28/the-conway-picture-is-only-a-small-error-in-trumps-swing-and-a-miss-black-college-event/?utm_term=.66cf14b02dc5
Bye, Felicia

Offline Pepe1

• Expert
« Reply #500 on: February 28, 2017, 05:37:12 PM »
..enough with the feet on the couch already...

I am not even close to being done.  I think it is one of the most bizzare pics I have ever seen..

I may go photo caption it! 

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #501 on: February 28, 2017, 05:43:29 PM »
Trump's first speech to Congress: A guide

Every member of Congress is invited to attend the speech, and most bring a guest. This year, several Democrats, including Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), and Reps. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.), Jared Polis (D-Colo.) and Mark Pocan (D-Wisc.) will bring undocumented immigrants who are living in the United States under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program -- which allows people who were brought to the United States as children to remain in the country. Democrats are also bringing Muslim community leaders, a physician from Flint, Michigan, and the mother of a Pulse shooting victim. Tom Perez, the new chair of the Democratic National Committee, will attend the speech as the guest of Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) -- his recently defeated rival.

Elizabeth Snyder, the wife of a slain St. Louis County police officer, will be the guest of Reps. Rodney Davis (R-Ill.) and Ann Wagner (R-Mo.), while Montana’s state Attorney General Tim Fox will accompany Sen. Steve Daines (R-Mont.)

Who are President Trump and First Lady Melania Trump’s guests?

The White House has announced six guests who will sit with the first lady during President Trump’s first address to a joint Congress. They include Megan Crowley — a college sophomore who is the daughter of a health care entrepreneur, Jessica Davis and Susan Oliver — widows of California police officers killed by an undocumented immigrant in 2015, Denisha Merriweather — a woman who was the first in her family to graduate from high school and college, late Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia’s widow Maureen McCarthy Scalia, and Jamiel Shaw Sr. — a father whose son was shot by an undocumented immigrant in 2008.

Traditionally, the president and the first lady guests’ are personifications of policy initiatives that that administration wants to focus on from the president’s speech.

Are the Democrats planning on boycotting or protesting Trump’s speech?

Many House Democrats boycotted President Trump’s inauguration, but don’t expect to see too many empty seats this time around. Instead, Democrats are using his speech as a platform to needle the president over his controversial policy choices. Democrats are bringing DACA recipients and immigrants from countries that were included in Donald Trump’s travel ban on seven majority-Muslim countries. Rep. Nydia Velázquez (D-N.Y.) invited an Iraqi interpreter who worked with the U.S. military and was detained due to the travel ban. Many Democrats on the Energy and Commerce Committee are bringing Americans who would be negatively affected by the repeal of Obamacare, while Rep. Mike Thompson (D-Calif.) and a couple of his colleagues are bringing guests that are law enforcement officials and first responders to highlight gun control.

But Democrats won’t exactly be happy to see President Trump, either. They usually clamored for a coveted center aisle seat so they can jockey for the opportunity to shake hands with Trump’s predecessor, former President Barack Obama. This go around, they’re less enthusiastic about shaking hands with the commander-in-chief.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/trumps-first-speech-to-congress-235478
Bye, Felicia

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #502 on: February 28, 2017, 09:02:06 PM »
And it gets worse, she had her shoes on!!    :laugh:

That's as bad as Britney Spears walking barefoot into a gas station restroom!  :laugh:

Offline Pepe1

• Expert
« Reply #503 on: March 01, 2017, 08:52:01 AM »
That's as bad as Britney Spears walking barefoot into a gas station restroom!  :laugh:

Ewwww  :laugh:

(CNN)  Shortly after President Donald Trump addressed a Joint Session of Congress for the first time since taking the oath of office, CNN's Van Jones called one particularly moving moment from the speech the real estate mogul's most presidential to date.

Less than an hour after Trump honored the widow of a slain NAVY Seal, the Democratic commentator suggested that the commander in chief had officially begun to look the part.

"He became President of the United States in that moment, period" @VanJones68 on @POTUS honoring Navy Seal widow https://t.co/uZtnj0OLgs
    — Anderson Cooper 360° (@AC360) March 1, 2017

"He became President of the United States in that moment, period," said Jones, after the evening's most emotional point was replayed by CNN's Anderson Cooper.

"That was one of the most extraordinary moments you have ever seen in American politics," Jones added. . .

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/01/politics/van-jones-trump-congress-speech-became-the-president-in-that-moment-cnntv/index.html

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #504 on: March 01, 2017, 02:03:54 PM »
And he stretched out the applause for the grieving widow, in order to set a record. Very presidential.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Pepe1

• Expert
« Reply #505 on: March 01, 2017, 02:47:30 PM »
And he stretched out the applause for the grieving widow, in order to set a record. Very presidential.

Did he stretch it out... to set a record... or did it just set a record?

Speaking of which:

Dow soars 300 points, closes above 21,000 for the first time!

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #506 on: March 01, 2017, 03:11:42 PM »
He said during the applause that he wanted to set a record.

He worships ratings, and it appeared that the speech did not get the audience that Obama got for his first speech.

Offline Pepe1

• Expert
« Reply #507 on: March 01, 2017, 03:46:02 PM »
He said during the applause that he wanted to set a record.

I didn't see that Fritz, this is the only thing I could see:

“Ryan is looking down right now, you know that, and he’s very happy, because I think he just broke a record.” He was referring, presumably, to the length of the applause.

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #508 on: March 01, 2017, 03:50:19 PM »
Well, it sounded like his voice. Just listened to it today on the radio.

Hope the widow appreciated it.

Offline Pepe1

• Expert
« Reply #509 on: March 01, 2017, 04:05:57 PM »

Hope the widow appreciated it.

Near the end of his 60-minute speech, Trump recounted the counterterrorism raid — his first as president — and recognized Carryn Owens, whose eyes were filling with tears. He said of her late husband, “Ryan’s legacy is etched into eternity,” as she looked to the heavens. The crowd of lawmakers, administration officials and military leaders stood to applaud her for two full minutes.

“I’ve been in this town 25 years, probably watched ‘State of the Unions’ for 30,” Spicer said. “I’ve never seen a sustained applause like that.”

I am sure as a soldiers wife she did, you want to believe someone (especially your country) cares about your sacrifice.