The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2022  (Read 763239 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: News and Current Events - 2017
« Reply #840 on: June 03, 2017, 09:34:47 AM »
P.S.:  Anyone got a good idea for a SIGN!  Let me know!

No one?

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #841 on: June 03, 2017, 12:55:06 PM »
Globe heaps scorn on Trump for Paris exit

BY DEVIN HENRY - 06/03/17 01:42 PM EDT

President Trump's decision to pull the United States out of the Paris climate agreement this week sent shockwaves through global diplomacy.

Half a dozen world leaders lambasted the Thursday announcement, which Trump said was meant to protect American businesses from the “unfair” terms of the climate accord negotiated in 2015.

Former diplomats and experts warned that the U.S.'s disengagement on climate could be a defining moment for a Trump administration that is focused more on an "America First" agenda than engaging with international allies.

“I really think that is the major consequence of today: it’s not about the Paris agreement,” said Christiana Figueres, the former head of the United Nation’s climate change mission.

“I think the real problem today and the real sadness is the absolute death blow to the international credibly of the current U.S. leadership. … The blow to the international political credibility of the United States really cannot be underestimated.”

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/336176-globe-heaps-scorn-on-trump-for-paris-exit

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #842 on: June 03, 2017, 12:56:13 PM »
It makes him the center of attention. That's all he wants or cares about.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #843 on: June 03, 2017, 01:19:25 PM »
Crowds rally at March for Truth in D.C. and dozens of cities

By Perry Stein and Lori Aratani June 3 at 2:29 PM

More than a thousand people gathered near the Washington Monument Saturday to rally at the March for Truth, calling for an independent investigation into alleged collusion between Russia and President Trump’s 2016 campaign.

Organizers also used the occasion to celebrate the “resistance” movement against the Trump administration, and implored the crowd to stay involved for the long haul.

“We gotta keep up the fight, that’s all there is to it,” said Jon Lovett, a former President Obama speechwriter and popular podcast host, who spoke at the D.C. rally.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/2017/06/03/2d75a63a-4882-11e7-bcde-624ad94170ab_story.html?utm_term=.7cdbe4ec409e

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #844 on: June 03, 2017, 03:13:57 PM »
Meanwhile the Mango Mussolini's "Pittsburgh not Paris" rally was a total flop.  Plus it was ironically held at Lafayette square.

http://www.politicususa.com/2017/06/03/trumps-pittsburgh-paris-march-massive-flop-compared-nationwide-march-truth.html

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 05:39:34 PM by oilgun »
"Yer fond of me lobster aint' ye? I seen it - yer fond of me lobster! Say it! Say it. Say it!" - The Lighthouse.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #845 on: June 03, 2017, 04:59:14 PM »
Meanwhile the Mango Mussolini's "Pittsburgh not Paris" rally was a total flop.  Plus it was ironically held at Lafayette square.

https://www.google.ca/#safe=off&q=lafayette+square+washington

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks Gil, I had to go find the story for that.

Trump’s ‘Pittsburgh, Not Paris’ Rally A Massive Flop Compared To Nationwide ‘March For Truth’

By Sean Colarossi on Sat, Jun 3rd, 2017

It's clear where the political energy is in this country right now, and it's not with Donald Trump.

Competing events on Saturday provided a stark contrast between just how energized Donald Trump’s critics are compared to his supporters – the minority that exists, at least.

While thousands of Americans mobilized to demand a fair, independent investigation into the president’s ties to Russia in the ‘March for Truth’, a ‘Pittsburgh, Not Paris’ pro-Trump march meant to show support for the president’s stance on environmental issues turned out to be a total flop.

This president may have spent his time as a presidential candidate bragging about crowd sizes, but since taking office, the largest crowds he has been able to draw are those who oppose his disastrous policy agenda and corrupt administration.

http://www.politicususa.com/2017/06/03/trumps-pittsburgh-paris-march-massive-flop-compared-nationwide-march-truth.html

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #846 on: June 03, 2017, 05:40:38 PM »
^^^My apologies for posting the wrong link. I fixed it.
"Yer fond of me lobster aint' ye? I seen it - yer fond of me lobster! Say it! Say it. Say it!" - The Lighthouse.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #847 on: June 04, 2017, 02:04:54 AM »

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #848 on: June 04, 2017, 08:26:51 AM »
Terrible...This was on BBC, I didn't see the press conference: PM Theresa May condemns the "single evil ideology of Islamist extremism," saying "enough is enough"

I hope she means it...

And this is so sad, so insane that it's even necessary, but in the midst of all the hate, understanding of the unimaginable:

The families of two of the victims killed in the Manchester bombing have reached out to those affected by last night's attack.

The parents of teenage couple Chloe Rutherford and Liam Curry said it had been their "worst nightmare" losing their children and thanked all those who helped them during this difficult time.

They added: "We would at this point also like to reach out to those affected by the London terror attack, sending our love and condolences to those who have lost loved ones. Our hearts are aching for your loss.

"May those injured have a speedy recovery."

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-40147014
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #849 on: June 04, 2017, 08:43:21 AM »
He is an asshole...sorry to be redundant.

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account
@realDonaldTrump
 Follow

At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is "no reason to be alarmed!"

Spokesperson for Sadiq Khan said:
“The Mayor is busy working with the police, emergency services and the government to coordinate the response to this horrific and cowardly terrorist attack and provide leadership and reassurance to Londoners and visitor to our city.  He has more important things to do than respond to Donald Trump’s ill-informed tweet that deliberately takes out of context his remarks urging Londoners not to be alarmed when they saw more police – including armed officers – on our streets.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 08:51:15 AM by morrobay »
Bye, Felicia

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #850 on: June 04, 2017, 08:50:40 AM »
Bobby Friedman‏Verified account @BobbyFriedman  5h5 hours ago

Something lovely and oddly reassuring about @Number10cat Larry padding back inside with the PM after her speech

https://twitter.com/BobbyFriedman

Bye, Felicia

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #851 on: June 04, 2017, 11:09:39 AM »
carl reiner‏
Verified account @carlreiner  May 31

Covfefe, besides meaning 'Soviet' in Russian also stands for:
"Cant Overestimate,Virtuous Fool's Empathy For Escapism.
Bad tweet, ShAME!
Bye, Felicia

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #852 on: June 04, 2017, 11:13:17 AM »
^^^

I had to look up "Larry."  Larry the Cat!  The "Chief Mouser."

Before I continue, I hadn't heard about this until I read it here. So awful.
In a week it'll be one year since Orlando and so many have occurred since.
___

I can't believe Trump twittered out such a provocative uninformed statement
like that, instead of a statement of support, an offer of help, or at least something
sensible.

...oh, who am I kidding, I can believe it without hesitation, I am just so weary of our
childish leader always feeling aggrieved and, as Fritz noted, he's got some real addiction
for attention, in any form. "That's all he wants or cares about."

Do you Brits, Canadians and Aussies (and New Zealanders, etc.) who post here know that most of the
U.S. is laughing at this imbecile as much as you are and are just as alarmed...and whatever other
negative words you're feeling?

Those who support him have always been around 30% at the core and sometimes up to 40%.
The election statistics point out that a sizeable amount still voted for him even though they didn't
like him and thought he'd be a terrible President. The Republicans somehow got their voters to
believe that Hillary was just as bad, and they've been working at that for 25 years. With help
from the Russians the last go 'round.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 11:40:39 AM by Lyle (Mooska) »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #853 on: June 04, 2017, 11:37:04 AM »

I find that Larry the Cat has his own Twitter account.

Larry the Cat
@ Number10cat
Downing Street, Westminster
The Chief Mouser to the Cabinet Office. I'm a 12 year old tabby, in position longer
than the leaders of any of the main UK political parties. Unofficial.

And, not only that, his tweets are entirely more informed
and sensible than the orange beast's.

Examples:

Larry the Cat:
The gun homicide rate in England is about one for every 1 million people - 160 times less than the US.

Then Donald Trump answered a tweet (The President answered a tweet from a cat. Think about that.)

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Do you notice we are not having a gun debate right now? That's because they used knives and a truck!
4:43 AM - 4 Jun 2017

Larry replied:

Larry the Cat:
Do you know why they used knives and a truck? Because the UK settled its gun debate decades ago,
saving countless lives. Educate yourself.

(You go, Larry!)

And a Brit answered Trump with this tweet:

Ian Boothby
@IanBoothby
Replying to @realDonaldTrump
What's the difference between a knife and one of your Tweets?  Knives have an actual point.

(LOL! because it's true.)

Larry the Cat:
Stop for a moment and consider the likely fatality rate if the terrorists had had access to automatic weapons.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #854 on: June 04, 2017, 11:41:37 AM »
I would rather have Larry the Cat for President,
instead of what we have now-Larry the Cable Guy.