The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2022  (Read 763520 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
Re: News and Current Events - 2017
« Reply #1005 on: July 07, 2017, 11:40:40 AM »
The fact that his people forgot to make reservations in Hamburg is Obama's fault. Of course.

I wonder if he's tried Air BnB?

He could swap the White House on weekends, since he's always at Mar-a-Lago on the taxpayers' dime.

Talk about a scam. ...

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1006 on: July 07, 2017, 11:43:32 AM »
The Saudis rented all of the Four Seasons in Hamburg.

Maybe they'll rent him a cot. For a mere €500 per night. Including a free breakfast bagel.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1007 on: July 07, 2017, 06:24:08 PM »
Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1009 on: July 07, 2017, 11:25:40 PM »
Christie hit with ethics complaint for his exclusive beach day

By Lia Eustachewich July 6, 2017

There was “Bridgegate” — and now there’s “Beachgate.”  A New Jersey lawyer has filed an ethics complaint against Gov. Chris Christie for his exclusive family trip to the beach last week amid the government shutdown.

In the complaint filed Wednesday with the State Ethics Commission, Mario Blanch accuses the unapologetic governor of using his political power to obtain a “special benefit.”

“The governor and his family hold no special privileges over the residents and citizens of the state of New Jersey,” Blanch’s complaint said, according to the Jersey Journal. “By using the park, ‘in direct contravention to the shutdown,’ [Christie] utilized his position as governor … to obtain benefits for himself and his family that members of the general public could not enjoy for themselves.”

Christie and several of his friends and family were caught basking in a sun-filled — and empty — Island Beach State Park in Berkeley Township last Sunday while state services were halted due to the governor’s budget showdown with Democrats.  Blanch, from West New York, said the shutdown crippled Fourth of July weekend plans for many of Christie’s constituents.

Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop was forced to move the Fourth of July fireworks show and festival from Liberty State Park to Exchange Place as a result, and a 5K race for the New Jersey Special Olympics was canceled, causing the organization to lose out on $40,000 in donations, NJ.com reported.

http://nypost.com/2017/07/06/christie-hit-with-ethics-complaint-for-his-exclusive-beach-day/

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #1010 on: July 08, 2017, 12:35:50 AM »
Oh Canada  :(

Canadian Government To Pay Islamic Terrorist $10.5 Million

(CNN)A Canadian man who spent 10 years at Guantanamo Bay after fighting US troops in Afghanistan is getting more than $10 million and an apology from the Canadian government, according to media reports

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/04/americas/canada-omar-khadr-reported-settlement/index.html

Oh Canada indeed. Omar Khadr was never tried in a court of law and the evidence against him was very weak. Never mind that he was a 15 year old child soldier.

"[...]
Any experienced trial lawyer would be troubled to open this file. With the exception of Khadr's "confession," wrung from a traumatized and severely wounded teenager under an abusive interrogation, the evidence against him was remarkably thin.

Examined closely, it appears more consistent with his innocence than guilt.

What evidence exists appears confused, inconsistent or contradicted elsewhere. Photographs of the attack scene released in 2009 appear to directly conflict with the prosecution's summary of its own case.
[...]"

http://www.nationalobserver.com/2017/07/07/opinion/what-if-omar-khadr-isnt-guilty
"Yer fond of me lobster aint' ye? I seen it - yer fond of me lobster! Say it! Say it. Say it!" - The Lighthouse.

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #1011 on: July 08, 2017, 01:57:27 AM »
Yes, Good on Canada
 Australia has the case of David Hicks who was incarcarated and tortured by Americans in Guantanamo Bay. Only the Australian Government was too lily livered to support him. Eventually Hicks was sent to Australia becasuse the Prime Minister at the time found his continued detainment at Guanatanamo Bay a political embarrassment in an election year which he lost anyway.
 In October 2012, the United States Court of Appeals ruled that the charge under which Hicks had been convicted was invalid, because the law did not exist at the time of the alleged offence, and it could not be applied retrospectively. The efforts of the US to charge Hicks have been described as "a significant departure from the Geneva Conventions and the International Covenant of Civil and Political Rights, quite apart from the US constitution", the implications being that "anyone in the world, who has suitable radical connections and who is in a war zone fighting against Americans, is guilty of a war crime".

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1012 on: July 08, 2017, 11:45:47 AM »
Australia has the case of David Hicks who was incarcarated and tortured by Americans in Guantanamo Bay.

Hicks was picked up in 2001 by US forces in Afghanistan, where he'd joined an al-Qaida training camp.
Hicks pleaded guilty in 2007 to providing material support for terrorism.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/jan/10/david-hicks-faces-adelaide-court-charged-with-assaulting-his-partner

After reading the wikipedia page concerning him, I'm hard pressed to find much sympathy there.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 11:59:53 AM by Lyle (Mooska) »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1013 on: July 08, 2017, 12:41:01 PM »
Yes it's pretty rotten right now, Lyle. I am in the house, but packing boxes and moving them and stacking them.
I have to sit every 45-60 minutes and cool off and drink water.

What a chore just to get through the day.

You are absolutely correct, Lyle!

I'm having one of "those" days, Linda.  It's been hot for awhile and today we're supposed to break a high temperature record
for the day set in 1886.  Yesterday on Beverly Blvd. near La Cienega, the exact place I walk over as it's near my dentist and
health clinic, an underground electrical vault under the sidewalk got so hot it exploded, injuring 4 people and blowing out
windows in the building several stories high. In that neighborhood, the electricity had been out for over a day in many of
the residential buildings and was finally restored in the afternoon. Two hours later the explosion knocked out the electricity
for those same people again! It's also affected the hospital which has generators, but they're rerouting ambulances.

At least I'm not having that problem. I have a portable air conditioner in the bedroom, but it has a big flaw. It's not
really made for humid environments and if the humidity is at 50% or more the water collects and so the machine will
only run for 2 hrs. and shut off. Then you have to empty about 1/2 gallon of water. So you have to keep doing it every
2 hours or less. And it drains from an inch off the floor so it is very annoying.  It works fine otherwise, but that is very
annoying.

At least I'm not having to pack boxes then move and stack them.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1014 on: July 08, 2017, 01:02:11 PM »
Hicks was picked up in 2001 by US forces in Afghanistan, where he'd joined an al-Qaida training camp.
Hicks pleaded guilty in 2007 to providing material support for terrorism.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/jan/10/david-hicks-faces-adelaide-court-charged-with-assaulting-his-partner

After reading the wikipedia page concerning him, I'm hard pressed to find much sympathy there.

Knowing that, I'm with you, Lyle.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #1015 on: July 08, 2017, 03:59:39 PM »
Oh Canada indeed. Omar Khadr was never tried in a court of law and the evidence against him was very weak. Never mind that he was a 15 year old child soldier
yeah my heart's breaking for him...at least you feel you're getting your moneys worth.  :laugh:
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #1016 on: July 08, 2017, 07:49:55 PM »
yeah my heart's breaking for him...at least you feel you're getting your moneys worth.  :laugh:

You have a heart? I'll take your word for it. ::)
"Yer fond of me lobster aint' ye? I seen it - yer fond of me lobster! Say it! Say it. Say it!" - The Lighthouse.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #1017 on: July 09, 2017, 07:13:27 AM »
 ;)
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1018 on: July 15, 2017, 10:23:52 AM »

Another high rise fire, in Honolulu!

No sprinklers again.

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1019 on: July 15, 2017, 11:22:08 AM »
How  old are these buildings, that they don't have fire prevention systems in them?