The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2022  (Read 753133 times)

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
Re: News and Current Events - 2017
« Reply #1065 on: August 01, 2017, 05:10:36 PM »
This whole situation makes me think of the front door to my building. It's revolving. ...

makes me think of a clown car...
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1066 on: August 01, 2017, 06:09:39 PM »
makes me think of a clown car...

Well, there are certainly plenty of clowns to go around.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1067 on: August 01, 2017, 08:49:58 PM »
Except this one is funny!

https://youtu.be/cG4CEr2aiSg
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1068 on: August 02, 2017, 02:53:13 PM »
:D :D :D

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #1069 on: August 02, 2017, 07:12:13 PM »
"Yer fond of me lobster aint' ye? I seen it - yer fond of me lobster! Say it! Say it. Say it!" - The Lighthouse.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1070 on: August 02, 2017, 07:21:24 PM »
That was adorable!

It's good to have a laugh nowadays! ;D
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #1071 on: August 05, 2017, 07:05:22 PM »
Fake news site posts that North Korea’s Kim Jong Un is dead for second time in a month

By Joshua Gillin on Friday, August 4th, 2017

A fake news story that said North Korean leader Kim Jong Un was killed in a coordinated, nationwide strike by U.S. forces under cover of darkness comes from a shopworn website known for churning out fabricated stories.

"Report: Kim Jong Un killed in (President Donald) Trump’s overnight black op attack on North Korea," read the headline on a July 28, 2017, ArmyUSANews.com post. Facebook users flagged the post as being potentially fabricated, as part of the social media site’s efforts to curb fake news.

The story said that 17 SEAL teams struck multiple targets, and that "in three hours time, the entire military infrastructure of that country has been eliminated," according to a reporter. Kim was reportedly killed, although state media played a "death to America" speech recorded years ago, the article said.

Kim Jong Un’s death has not been reported widely because this coordinated attack did not happen. The story is fake. (The photo showing a North Korean city on fire is actually a British hospital burning.)

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2017/aug/04/blog-posting/fake-news-site-posts-north-koreas-kim-jong-un-dead/

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1072 on: August 05, 2017, 07:07:41 PM »
President Trump settles in for 17-day vacation at his secluded New Jersey club

By John Wagner and Elise Viebeck August 5

BEDMINSTER, N.J. — President Trump, who knocked his predecessor’s work ethic and said he probably wouldn’t take vacations as president, has settled in for 17 days here at his secluded golf club in New Jersey’s fox-hunt and horse country.

Aides are billing Trump’s time at one of his favorite properties as a “working vacation,” a notion bolstered by his arrival on Air Force One on Friday with a retinue of aides, including his newly minted chief of staff, John F. Kelly.

With the Russia investigation gaining steam and looming crises in North Korea and other hot spots, no one expects a truly quiet couple of weeks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/president-trump-settles-in-for-17-day-vacation-at-his-secluded-new-jersey-club/2017/08/05/5c79347c-79d5-11e7-8f39-eeb7d3a2d304_story.html?utm_term=.b33251e4e757

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1073 on: August 08, 2017, 07:14:13 AM »
So, we're not advocating regime change, and Tillerson is willing to talk to the North Koreans. Who on earth does the man think he's fooling? Himself?

It's very clear what's going on here. Life in North Korea is abysmal for ordinary people, so how do you get them to forget their misery and keep yourself in power? You give them a common enemy to fear and hate with a passion. The U.S. is always good for that.

The North Korean regime has nothing to gain by talking to anybody, and everything to gain by continuing to blackmail the rest of the world. I mean, the regime has everything to gain by continuing its nuclear program and threats: To keep itself in power.

So what do we do? Wait till a nuclear bomb falls on Anchorage? Seattle? San Francisco? L.A.? Denver? Chicago?  I think I heard somewhere that they're now capable of hitting the East Coast, so I'd better include Washington, Philadelphia (that would take me out), and New York City in that list.

I'd suggest bombing the North Koreans back into the Stone Age, but I know that would lead to harm for untold numbers of our allies in the region, not to mention innocent North Korean civilians. China wouldn't much like it, either.

Do we send in the SEALs, like we did to take out Osama bin Laden? (I'm not necessarily advocating that, just thinkin' out loud.)

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #1074 on: August 08, 2017, 11:02:37 AM »
if we don't strike first, that might be a grave (literally) mistake
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1075 on: August 08, 2017, 11:17:04 AM »
No, Donald Trump’s base is not ‘far bigger and stronger than ever before’

By James Hohmann August 8

President Trump is clearly rankled by the notion that his political support is slipping, pushing back against the idea during a barrage of tweets Monday from his Bedminster, N.J., golf club, where aides said he is having a “working vacation.”

In fact, as his overall approval rate has sunk, some of the president’s core supporters have soured on his performance, polls show. A Quinnipiac University poll last week found 23 percent of registered voters “strongly approve” of Trump’s handling of his job, down from 29 percent who felt that way during his first week in office. Even white voters with no college degree — one of the demographics that backed his candidacy most enthusiastically — disapprove of how Trump is handling his job by 50 percent to 43 percent.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/daily-202/2017/08/08/daily-202-no-donald-trump-s-base-is-not-far-bigger-and-stronger-than-ever-before/5989138230fb045fdaef1196/?utm_term=.d0bf0c4fe60e

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1076 on: August 08, 2017, 11:20:32 AM »
if we don't strike first, that might be a grave (literally) mistake

For a great many people.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1077 on: August 08, 2017, 12:07:30 PM »

The experts say that NK is 2-3 years away from being able to "combine all the elements" to
carry out a scenario like the one discussed above.  So, in the meantime what do we do? Both
countries have mental patients at the head of them. And the U.S. actually CHOSE the one we
have, the Commander-in-Tweet.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1078 on: August 08, 2017, 01:37:44 PM »
The experts say that NK is 2-3 years away from being able to "combine all the elements" to
carry out a scenario like the one discussed above.  So, in the meantime what do we do? Both
countries have mental patients at the head of them. And the U.S. actually CHOSE the one we
have, the Commander-in-Tweet.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Who are the experts? Not doubting here, just wondering who they are. People in the DOD?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1079 on: August 08, 2017, 01:39:06 PM »
No, Donald Trump’s base is not ‘far bigger and stronger than ever before’

The emperor has no clothes.