The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2022  (Read 763220 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: News and Current Events - 2017
« Reply #1500 on: January 08, 2018, 06:23:53 PM »
I saw that online, and I hope it doesn't happen.  I like my president to have some sort of government experience.

Well, we don't have to worry about that with the current occupant.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1501 on: January 08, 2018, 06:26:56 PM »
I expect that the same people who find his lack of government experience "refreshing" would condemn her for being the same way. She's from the wrong tribe.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1502 on: January 08, 2018, 06:33:57 PM »
I expect that the same people who find his lack of government experience "refreshing" would condemn her for being the same way. She's from the wrong tribe.

Plus the ever **shudder** wrong gender!!!
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1503 on: January 08, 2018, 06:37:48 PM »
Nope. They'd accept someone, say, Sarah Palin or Michele Bachman who would be a plaything at the hands of the stringpullers behind the scenes, but not a strong, independent woman.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1504 on: January 09, 2018, 10:26:35 AM »
I saw that online, and I hope it doesn't happen.  I like my president to have some sort of government experience.

I get your point, and I essentially agree with it, but she couldn't possibly do any worse than pumpkinhead, and I'd be willing to bet she'd do a whole lot better. At least she wouldn't get us into a nuclear war, or, I'm sure, try to build a stupid fence.

Offline janiebbmart

• Obsessed
« Reply #1505 on: January 09, 2018, 12:47:01 PM »
I bet she knows the words to the national anthem as well.

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #1506 on: January 09, 2018, 03:43:20 PM »
I get your point, and I essentially agree with it, but she couldn't possibly do any worse than pumpkinhead, and I'd be willing to bet she'd do a whole lot better. At least she wouldn't get us into a nuclear war, or, I'm sure, try to build a stupid fence.

She wouldn't be as extreme as Donald, but I'd still rather someone else  who worked their way up the government ladder.  I think some of the same problems I have with Donald, I'd have with Oprah.

1.  No government experience.

2.  Been a boss for too long, and won't like taking orders or compromising.  They don't get the American people are their "boss" not the other way around.

3.  Wouldn't be able to handle hearing "no" because they've been surrounded by yes men/women for so long.

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #1507 on: January 09, 2018, 05:09:41 PM »
I thought you'd appreciate this Twitter exchange between Ivanka Trump (commenting on Oprah's speech) and actress Alyssa Milano.

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1508 on: January 09, 2018, 05:18:58 PM »
 ;D

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1509 on: January 09, 2018, 05:28:29 PM »
Oh that is SO GOOD!!!
... Kierkegaard

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1510 on: January 10, 2018, 10:18:46 AM »
Alyssa Milano.

For some reason I used to get occasional mail for Alyssa Milano in my mailbox. A lot
of it from Germany, if I recall. There was no return addresses to send it back. Must've
gotten some wrong address printed somewhere. Hasn't happened in a long time.

Offline janiebbmart

• Obsessed
« Reply #1511 on: January 11, 2018, 07:40:48 AM »
That's the sort of reply you always wish you'd thought of. A brilliant put-down.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #1512 on: January 11, 2018, 05:43:45 PM »
where's Oprah........

(CNN)
On Thursday, in a meeting with a senators and House members on immigration, the President of the United States, asked this: "Why do we want all these people from 'shithole countries' coming here?"

Yes, he said "shithole countries" -- apparently in reference to the fact that immigrants from places like El Salvador, Haiti and Africa were being protected in a potential bipartisan deal to preserve the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program and secure funding for border security.

What's even more appalling is that the White House didn't even try to deny that Trump used that slur, which was first reported in The Washington Post. In fact, in a lengthy statement from White House spokesman Raj Shah, the administration seemed to even defend the sentiment. "Certain Washington politicians choose to fight for foreign countries, but President Trump will always fight for the American people," said Shah.
But it gets even worse. Asked about the "shithole" comments, a White House official told CNN's Kaitlan Collins this:

"The President's 'shithole' remark is being received much differently inside of the White House than it is outside of it. Though this might enrage Washington, staffers predict the comment will resonate with his base, much like his attacks on NFL players who kneel during the National Anthem did not alienate it."

Stop. Read that again. Here's what it means: The President's voicing of a racist remark about the sorts of people whom we are letting into the country is actually a good thing because people who like Trump will agree with him.

Make no mistake: This is the lowest ebb of a presidency defined by a series of low ebbs and defining of the presidency downward. Yes, lower than Trump's comments about Mexico sending us "rapists" and "criminals." Lower than questioning Sen. John McCain's military service. Lower than his impugning of a judge because of his Mexican heritage. Lower than his questioning the motives of a Gold Star family. Lower than the 2,000 mistruths and outright falsehoods he has said since becoming President. Lower than his racially-tinged attacks on the anthem protests by NFL players. Lower even than his "both sides" argument in the wake of white supremacist violence against peaceful protesters in Charlottesville, Virginia.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/11/politics/trump-rock-bottom/index.html
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1513 on: January 11, 2018, 05:52:59 PM »
And this too shall pass and absolutely NOTHING will be done about it.
... Kierkegaard

Offline janiebbmart

• Obsessed
« Reply #1514 on: January 12, 2018, 08:30:01 AM »
Trump cancels visit to UK and states that the US embassy in Grosvenor Square was "sold for peanuts" by Obama so he won't open the new one.

Wrong! The US embassy belongs to Earl Grosvenor, the Duke of Westminster and is the only US embassy in the world which is leased.

The Americans have embassies all around the world. In every case they buy the land first and then build their embassy. The Americans assumed that this would be possible in England; hence they asked the Duke of Westminster, who owned Grosvenor Square, how much they would have to pay to buy the freehold of the land.  However, what they did not know is that the Grosvenor family never sell. Their vast wealth is based precisely on this simple fact; they own their 300 acres of central London including most of Belgravia and Mayfair, not to mention land holdings all over the world. All the houses and offices on this land are leased; their freeholds are never sold.

When the Americans were told the news, they insisted that that was unacceptable, therefore petitioning to Parliament in order to force the Duke to sell. Nevertheless the Grosvenor family did not comply with any pressure.

So yet another misinformed load of nonsense.