The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017  (Read 54816 times)

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
Re: News and Current Events - 2017
« Reply #1830 on: May 15, 2018, 04:50:35 AM »
Hope you had the breakfast break!

I may or may not watch the wedding - will see it on the news (endlessly) anyway.
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Call Me by Your Name, André Aciman.

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1831 on: May 15, 2018, 05:49:22 AM »
Hope you had the breakfast break!

I may or may not watch the wedding - will see it on the news (endlessly) anyway.

I did  :D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1832 on: May 15, 2018, 08:01:46 AM »
I’m happy that Michael Curry, the leader of the US Episcopal Church, will be giving the address at the service. I feel that this is quite a statement by the couple about their own liberal outlook, and the current attitudes of the Church of England - particularly as Michael Curry stands in support of same-sex marriage.

The American church had a liturgy for blessing same-sex unions even before it was legal, or before Curry became Primate (the office used to be just Presiding Bishop). As for the attitude of the C. of E., that does seem remarkable since at the time of the last Lambeth Conference, the American Primate was not welcome, mainly because of objections to the American church's approval of same-sex marriage.

A reminiscence: After same-sex marriage was legalized, one Sunday morning our rector stood in the pulpit holding the parish marriage register (a beautiful, large, leather-bound ledger that dated from the 19th century) to show it off because he could now actually record same-sex marriages in it. The Church wouldn't allow it until the marriages were legal.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1833 on: May 15, 2018, 08:05:18 AM »
The story today is that Meghan's Father won't attend the ceremony now, so someone else will be walking her down the aisle!! I guess I could volunteer for that position!!  :D :D :D

Like I always say: Weddings, Funerals and Estate Sales bring the WORST and BEST out in People, specially FAMILY MEMBERS!!! IMHO, you understand?!
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #1834 on: May 15, 2018, 08:40:35 AM »
The American church had a liturgy for blessing same-sex unions even before it was legal, or before Curry became Primate (the office used to be just Presiding Bishop). As for the attitude of the C. of E., that does seem remarkable since at the time of the last Lambeth Conference, the American Primate was not welcome, mainly because of objections to the American church's approval of same-sex marriage.

A reminiscence: After same-sex marriage was legalized, one Sunday morning our rector stood in the pulpit holding the parish marriage register (a beautiful, large, leather-bound ledger that dated from the 19th century) to show it off because he could now actually record same-sex marriages in it. The Church wouldn't allow it until the marriages were legal.

It will come eventually in the C of E, but my goodness it’s dragging its feet, as it did with women priests and then bishops. I follow One Body One Faith on Facebook and read the experiences of some LGBTI priests and others involved in the church which make me feel deeply sad and angry. I may say that our current rector and her husband, and the assistant priests, are all totally supportive of same-sex marriage, and despair of the church's attitude. But it IS changing...
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Call Me by Your Name, André Aciman.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1835 on: May 15, 2018, 09:59:04 AM »
The story today is that Meghan's Father won't attend the ceremony now, so someone else will be walking her down the aisle!! I guess I could volunteer for that position!!  :D :D :D

I really feel sorry for her about this. I'm no fan, but for anybody, regardless of who they're marrying, to have to go through such a family mess so close to the wedding makes me sad.

Like I always say: Weddings, Funerals and Estate Sales bring the WORST and BEST out in People, specially FAMILY MEMBERS!!! IMHO, you understand?!
 ;D ;D ;D

Right there with you, hunnerd percent!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1836 on: May 15, 2018, 11:26:46 AM »
Mute the royals!  :laugh:

Jonn (Flyboy) won't like that!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1837 on: May 17, 2018, 07:32:42 AM »
Anybody have any idea how much this Royal Wedding is bringing into the British economy?

I'd be willing to bet somebody is selling coffee or tea mugs with a picture of the Royal Couple on it.  ;D

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1838 on: May 17, 2018, 07:35:59 AM »
Among other things.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1839 on: May 17, 2018, 08:05:34 AM »
Of course they are.......I just wish the Wedding would be OVER already! LOL....

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1840 on: May 17, 2018, 08:41:21 AM »
Of course they are.......I just wish the Wedding would be OVER already! LOL....

Only one more day. Hang in there, Flyboy! This, too, shall pass. ...

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #1841 on: May 17, 2018, 04:10:38 PM »

I'd be willing to bet somebody is selling coffee or tea mugs with a picture of the Royal Couple on it.  ;D

yeah, Jeff, "somebody" is selling mugs...and a bunch of other royal crap (no offense).  I'm sure you won't be able to swing a cat in the UK without hitting something with their names and faces on it.

this article is from last December...they didn't waste any time

Queen CASHING IN on Prince Harry and Meghan Markle engagement
The Queen’s Sandringham Christmas retreat has loaded its gift shop with a treasure trove of souvenirs.

An entire display cupboard has been devoted to the couple at the Norfolk estate, which thousands flock to every year.

It is packed with mugs of the couple in a heart crest for £6.99, keyrings for £3.99 and a £1.99 fridge magnet.

“I answer the heroic question 'Death, where is thy sting? ' with ' it is here in my heart and mind and memories.'”  Maya Angelou

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #1842 on: May 17, 2018, 04:17:10 PM »
In a related story, back in April someone began selling commemorative plates for the royal wedding.

The problem, instead of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, the seller used a picture of British pop star Ed Sheeran.

:laugh:

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/tradition/a19724915/commemorative-royal-wedding-plate-meghan-markle-ed-sheeran/

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #1843 on: May 17, 2018, 04:41:06 PM »
 :laugh: :laugh:
“I answer the heroic question 'Death, where is thy sting? ' with ' it is here in my heart and mind and memories.'”  Maya Angelou

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1844 on: May 17, 2018, 07:47:33 PM »
It is packed with mugs of the couple in a heart crest for £6.99, keyrings for £3.99 and a £1.99 fridge magnet.[/i]

Oh, I've gotta have a fridge magnet!  :laugh: