The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2022  (Read 764006 times)

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
Re: News and Current Events - 2017
« Reply #1965 on: June 14, 2018, 12:54:53 AM »

WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1966 on: June 14, 2018, 07:06:25 AM »
President Trump Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize by Norwegian Lawmakers

Oh Lord.

Please tell me that's a joke...

:o  I always thought Norwegians were sensible people.  :(

If this isn't Fake News, somebody's getting paid off.

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1967 on: June 14, 2018, 07:18:10 AM »
Maybe it's just The Onion, let's not lose hope.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1968 on: June 14, 2018, 07:51:13 AM »
Maybe it's just The Onion, let's not lose hope.

That was my first hope, too, but I just clicked on the link, and it does not appear to be The Onion.

Of course, I know what The Onion is, but I've never been to the site, so perhaps I'm not the best judge.

OTOH, I just checked CNN and couldn't find anything there. I might have expected something like that would be front-page news.

https://www.cnn.com/

But, I also found this:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/trump-nobel-peace-prize-north-korea-kim-jong-un-norway-progress-party-a8397796.html

I Googled "Trump Nobel Prize," and it seemed to lead to quite a few legitimate sources.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 08:06:43 AM by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #1969 on: June 14, 2018, 11:25:51 AM »
not a joke...well, it is, but it's on us

Two Norwegian politicians nominate Trump for Nobel Peace Prize
Nomination comes after historic meeting with North Korean leader.

By   GABRIELA GALINDO   6/14/18, 1:30 PM CET Updated 6/14/18, 5:07 PM CET
Donald Trump, who on Tuesday became the first sitting U.S. president to meet with a North Korean leader, has been nominated as a candidate for the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize.

https://www.politico.eu/article/donald-trump-nobel-peace-prize-two-norwegian-politicians-nominate/
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1970 on: June 14, 2018, 11:27:51 AM »
From the Huff Post...funny, never thought of Norway as having rednecks...

Far-Right Norwegian Politicians Nominate Trump For Nobel Peace Prize
The two lawmakers praised him for the North Korea summit.

Two far-right Norwegian politicians have nominated President Donald Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize, lauding his efforts to denuclearize North Korea.

Christian Tybring-Gjedde and Per-Willy Amundsen belong to Norway’s right-leaning Progressive Party, which favors small government and low taxes, and they hold anti-immigration and anti-Muslim views.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-nobel-peace-prize-nomination_us_5b213c0ee4b09d7a3d79809d
Bye, Felicia

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1971 on: June 14, 2018, 11:48:28 AM »
From the Huff Post...funny, never thought of Norway as having rednecks...

Remember Utøya, there's bad people everywhere, even in Norway...

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1972 on: June 14, 2018, 12:10:24 PM »

Reading about this here I was first appalled, or worse, so I had to look into the process a bit further.
I'm so tired of being outraged lately, and the Trump cultists like to fuel their opposition with anything
that drives them nuts, so...

Read this link and you'll feel a little better:

Nomination and Selection of Nobel Prizes
https://www.nobelprize.org/nomination/peace/

It's a process. Anyone can be nominated by authorized nominators.  (As we've seen today--ANYONE.)
There are 330 candidates for the Nobel Peace Prize for 2018.
330 is the second highest number of candidates ever.
The record of 376 candidates was set in 2016.

So Trump would be in a group of a few hundred nominees next year. After nominations close at the end of January
there's a selection process to determine the final list voted upon. I have to assume these people will know what
they are doing.

I'm not sure how the following relates to us knowing Trump got nominated:

From the statutes of the Nobel Foundation:
Proposals received for the award of a prize, and investigations and opinions concerning the award of a prize, may not be divulged. A prize-awarding body may, however, after due consideration in each individual case, permit access to material which formed the basis for the evaluation and decision concerning a prize, for purposes of research in intellectual history. Such permission may not, however, be granted until at least 50 years have elapsed after the date on which the decision in question was made.

In any case, let us not give our opponents any reason to enjoy our
heads exploding over this. That seems to be one of their primary
joys in supporting Trump. That it makes their opposition crazy.

I did note on this website that former Nobel Peace Prize Winners are allowed
to nominate. I do wish Barack Obama would offer up a considered nomination.

I also think the Nobel people should reword their process. Since anyone can be nominated, they should,
like the Oscars, call this period "being submitted for nomination" because they whittle down the choices.
It's not like the first round really means anything other than you're in the mix of choices.

Of course, the reason this news item bothers me is that an ordinary President would
be humble about this news. They might offer up they don't even think it's deserved.
The current mouthpiece will bask in his perceived adulation, talk about it at every turn,
demean the Prize in doing so, and get his cultists to use it as a weapon.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1973 on: June 15, 2018, 11:38:07 AM »
I think he's sorry he can't march his enemies (or anyone he doesn't like) into Fed Ex Field and have them shot w/anti aircraft guns...

Trump: My People Should ‘Sit Up in Attention’ Like Kim Jong-un’s Staff

President Trump’s meeting has rekindled his decades-long admiration for dictators. The Washington Post reports that Trump privately expressed admiration for the friendly treatment Kim Jong-un gets from North Korean state television. “At one point, after watching North Korean television, which is entirely state-run, the president talked about how positive the female North Korean news anchor was toward Kim,” the Post notes.

In his public remarks, Trump insisted North Koreans “love” their dictator, as shown by the displays of “fervor” — which they must perform on pain of arrest. He likewise praised Kim’s rule for being “tough,” one of Trump’s favorite compliments. “Anybody that takes over a situation like he did at 26 years of age and is able to run it and run it tough,” Trump said. “I don’t say he was nice or say anything about it. He ran it, few people at that age — you could take one out of 10,000 could not do it.”

Speaking this morning with Fox & Friends, his own version of North Korean television (love this) , Trump explained why he would like to bring Kim Jong-un to the White House: “He’s the head of the country, and I mean he’s the strong head. He speaks and his people sit up in attention. I want my people to do the same.”

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/06/trump-my-people-should-sit-up-in-attention-like-kims.html

Bye, Felicia

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1974 on: June 15, 2018, 01:26:33 PM »

The man is so clueless and his supporters are, too.

What goes around comes around. I'd just like to tell him that he's being treated
exactly the way he treated President Obama.

Our only hope for any change at this point is the election this fall. I can't imagine
the depression that will ensue if things do not. Ya gotta have hope.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1975 on: June 15, 2018, 01:48:45 PM »

So...today the President tweeted, went on Fox & Friends and also chatted with the Press about
a dozen subjects going on this week. The day will come when a Democrat will be president. And if
any Republican has anything critical to say of that president, anything at all, this news conference
alone could be held up as proof that they may say nothing.

And then there's this: He praised Mr. Kim, brushing aside questions about the repressive regime and
gulags in North Korea. "Hey, he is the head of a country, and I mean he is the strong head. Don’t let
anyone think anything different. He speaks and his people sit up at attention. I want my people to do
the same."

Go ahead, read it again.
If you're not chilled, you're numb.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1976 on: June 15, 2018, 01:50:46 PM »
I hope the GOP is embarrassed in the future when it's pointed out to them that their President is envious of a North Korean dictator and wants to emulate him. In all ways.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1977 on: June 15, 2018, 02:11:52 PM »
Ya gotta have hope.

My hope gave up about a year ago, when I realized NO ONE is going to do a damn thing about him, despite the myriads of things he has done that are against the law, when any run of the mill person would be sitting in prison right now.

So, no I don't gotta have hope. And I don't.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1978 on: June 15, 2018, 04:50:31 PM »
Sanford disagreed with 45 and he lost.  His followers are sheep, it's just a gigantic cult...

U.S. Representative Mark Sanford, a vocal critic of President Donald Trump, lost a Republican congressional primary in South Carolina on Tuesday, after Trump urged voters to punish Sanford's disloyalty by tossing him from office.

A few hours before polls closed, Trump tweeted that Sanford was "nothing but trouble" and "very unhelpful to me." He backed Sanford's pro-Trump challenger, state legislator Katie Arrington, for November's congressional elections.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/13/republican-sanford-loses-in-south-carolina-after-trump-urges-his-ouster.html
Bye, Felicia

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1979 on: June 15, 2018, 06:02:35 PM »
Only the most rabid of Republicans voted in the primary. I realize that it is South Carolina, but I'm hoping for a miracle of repudiation in the general election.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."