The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2022  (Read 753046 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: News and Current Events - 2017
« Reply #2490 on: October 07, 2018, 11:09:26 PM »
We got the result I expected all along. I even had a laugh at how quickly he was sworn in. What did they think was going to happen? Somehow someone was going to take it back?

I just looked at the machinations as giving the Republicans a taste of their own medicine. (They didn't much like it, did they?) At least the Democrats didn't just roll over and play dead.

I feel sorry for Dr. Ford, that she got caught up in all this shit.

And I am very, very disappointed in Susan Collins. I used to think she was one of the good ones.

Minutes after Sen. Susan Collins announced her support for Brett Kavanaugh, the site to fund her opponent was so overwhelmed that it crashed.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/minutes-senator-collins-announced-her-205616100.html
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #2491 on: October 08, 2018, 10:00:49 AM »
I saw  that story, and apparently the funds collected now top $3.5 million.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2492 on: October 08, 2018, 10:40:30 AM »

“I was…wondering whether I would just be jumping in front of a train that was headed to where it was headed anyway
and that I would just be personally annihilated.”        --Christine Blasey Ford

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2493 on: October 08, 2018, 03:54:41 PM »
https://news.sky.com/story/westminster-attack-inquests-top-met-officer-stayed-in-car-as-carnage-unfolded-11521289

This is where the name of "Coward" fits completely. So far as I can understand this
cowardly act has only just come to light in the inquiry/inquest about the appalling
events that occur ed on Westminster Bridge some months ago.
The young Police Officer that was guarding the gate way in to the Houses of Parliament....got stabbed to death while this bast--d sat inside his locked limo car
and watched it all unfold. He said "I had nothing to defend myself (meaning I suppose a stab vest or any weapon). News for you Mr Mackey ...neither had the Officer who did his utmost to stop the terrorist getting into The Parliament Buildings.
I believe Mr Mackey retires in December.

Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #2494 on: October 09, 2018, 08:26:36 PM »
Tune in to the 45 Show, featuring one of the most prominent people in the manufacturing world, kanye west - what a joke.  First thing they could both do would be to bring their own manufacturing from overseas...
Adidas manufactures West's Yeezy sneakers line (one style sells for $2250) in their factories in China.

Kanye West Expected to Visit Trump at the White House

By Maggie Haberman
Oct. 8, 2018

President Trump and his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, are expected to meet with the musician Kanye West on Thursday at the White House, two people familiar with the plans said.

Mr. West, who has faced a backlash over his vocal support of the president, will meet first with Mr. Kushner and then have lunch with the president, the two people said.

Mr. Kushner, who serves as a senior adviser to Mr. Trump, has been focused on overhauling the criminal justice system, and one person briefed on the meeting said that Mr. West wanted to discuss the availability of job opportunities for former convicts. He also hopes to discuss with Mr. Trump how to increase the number of manufacturing jobs in the Chicago area, where Mr. West grew up and recently said he planned to return, according to the person briefed on the meeting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/08/us/politics/trump-kanye-west-meeting.html
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline Paul029

• Obsessed
« Reply #2495 on: October 11, 2018, 12:20:15 AM »
Stacey Abrams Wins Democratic Primary For Georgia Governor
If elected, the former party leader in the state legislature would be the nation’s first black female governor.

Stacey Abrams won the Democratic nomination for governor of Georgia on Tuesday, delivering a victory for the national liberal groups and elected officials who backed her historic bid.

If elected in November, the 44-year-old Abrams would be Georgia’s first woman governor and the nation’s first black woman at the helm of a state. She previously served 10 years in the Georgia House, and for much of that time was her party’s leader in the chamber.

A great story in the Huffington Post:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/stacey-abrams-wins-democratic-nomination-for-governor_us_5b045d41e4b003dc7e471586

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 11:21:35 AM by Paul029 »
...there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain...

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2496 on: October 11, 2018, 10:23:45 AM »
^^^

I like her...I've seen her a couple times on news programs.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2497 on: October 11, 2018, 10:31:20 AM »

With close races in Florida and Georgia in less than a month, I'm wondering
if the hurricane will cause voting issues. Reports say some of these places
might not get their power restored for weeks. When your life is disrupted in
so major a way, will people care about voting? I mean, I would, but that's me.
If turnout is affected, it's going to help the Republicans. When do the Dems
get a break lately about anything?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2498 on: October 12, 2018, 06:53:59 AM »
OK, I sympathize with people who have lost their homes, their livelihoods, and whatever because of Hurricane Michael.

But. ...

Last evening I saw a woman interviewed on TV news, and she said that all her family had was the clothes on their backs.

Assuming she meant that literally, I said to myself, "Wait. You had plenty of warning that you were going to have to leave. You couldn't at least have packed a few changes of clothes for everyone in your family?"

Everyone, no exceptions, should have a plan for evacuation. It could be because of a hurricane, fire, flood, whatever. It doesn't matter. At the very least, make a list of things to take and keep it someplace where you're not going to lose it or forget about it. And don't forget to include any important papers (insurance policies, birth certificates, passports, etc.). And don't forget the charger for your phone.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2499 on: October 12, 2018, 10:50:38 AM »

So, Fox News aka the Trump Network, has dutifully aired every single one of the bloviator's rallies since he started doing them. What on earth could ever persuade them not to?  Ratings, apparently. Since each one of these things is exactly the same, apparently people are starting to turn them off and Fox News's ratings were diminishing.  So they stayed with regular programming the last two times saying they'd go to them if there was some breaking news in them. Of course, there was no breaking news in them. The bloviator in chief was not happy about this. I mean, that's all he's interested in. Self adulation and aggrandizement. And his network wouldn't even show the latest rallies? That's probably why he called in to some of the Fox News shows at night to chat. Had to get some kind of limelight for himself.

It is a continual embarrassment to watch how Trump has emboldened people to display their inner idiocy.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2500 on: October 14, 2018, 10:31:19 AM »
No comments on the Saudi mess? I doubt Trump and Co will do anything substantial against the Saudi's........at least Trump hasn't said he believes their denials yet......I'm sure that's coming soon though.......... ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2501 on: October 16, 2018, 07:16:55 AM »
"Trump and first lady Melania passed out bottles of water at an aid center in Lynn Haven, a city of about 18,500 people near Panama City in northwestern Florida. ..."

What? No paper towels?

Offline Paul029

• Obsessed
« Reply #2502 on: October 17, 2018, 06:32:38 AM »

Stephen Miller's 3rd Grade Teacher Calls Him ‘A Strange Dude’ Who Ate Glue

Donald Trump's senior political adviser once shared a lot of similarities with Pig Pen from “Peanuts,” his former teacher said.

EDITOR’S NOTE: This story originally centered on the comments from Miller’s third-grade teacher. A public figure’s behavior when they were a child is not by itself newsworthy, and we regret treating it as such. The story has been updated throughout to focus on the teacher’s suspension.

Full article here: https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/stephen-miller-3rd-grade-teacher_us_5bbe815de4b0b27cf47a54b9
...there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain...

Offline Paul029

• Obsessed
« Reply #2503 on: October 17, 2018, 06:35:35 AM »

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex visit north-western NSW on their first official Royal Visit to Australia.

The country visit to the rural centre of Dubbo comes after their tour of Sydney, where they visited the Opera House and Taronga Zoo the day before. The remainder of their historic first international tour together will then take them to New Zealand, Fiji and Tonga over 16 days.

The royal couple spent the day touring the farming town, which is suffering its worst drought since records began in 1900—and their visit brought some much needed rain.

As Prince Harry began an afternoon speech to a crowd of thousands of people at a community barbeque at Victoria Park, the heavens opened.

When the Mayor offered his umbrella, Harry joked: “It's all right, I've got my wife,” to laughter from the crowd as Meghan stepped in with her own umbrella to shield him from the torrential rain.

The prince then delivered an inspiring speech dedicated to Australia’s struggling drought-stricken farmers.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-17/prince-harry-and-meghan-markle-dubbo-visit/10385412

Offline Paul029

• Obsessed
« Reply #2504 on: October 17, 2018, 06:53:09 AM »
Trump refuses to give his wife Melania a spot underneath his umbrella.

In a quick conversation with the press en route to hurricane-affected Florida and Georgia, the President, 72, waxed lyrical about how well wife Melania, 48, did on a recent 60 Minutes interview.

“She did a great job on television the other night,” he said. “And I didn’t do so bad either. But she did a great job on television.”

As he said this, the First Lady hovered behind him getting drenched in the rain.

Newsworthy by contrast.

https://honey.nine.com.au/2018/10/17/11/17/trump-melania-umbrella