The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017  (Read 58458 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: News and Current Events - 2017
« Reply #2565 on: November 08, 2018, 10:18:12 AM »
From what I read (and I apologize if this has been posted before) a record number of 100 women have been elected to the House.

I love this!  In my experience, the more female politicians the better!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2566 on: November 08, 2018, 12:12:28 PM »
I was going to say they did have an armed guard at the place, but I don't know for a fact he was armed.
They were calling him a security guard. He was one of the first people shot.

My usual hangout has a head of security, a retired police officer. He hires the doormen and serves as one himself. They are not armed.

Online brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #2567 on: November 08, 2018, 12:40:19 PM »
Even our police are not regularly armed, any guns are in the locked boot (trunk?) of their cars. No wonder we find the whole situation unbelievable.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2568 on: November 08, 2018, 01:15:37 PM »

I forgot to post this yesterday...it's already 3pm on the East Coast, but...

Nationwide Protests Declared for Today at 5PM After Jeff Sessions Fired
"Trump thought that by waiting until after the polls closed on Election Day, our voices would be silent. He was wrong."

Several organizations have announced coordinated protests to take place in cities and communities nationwide on Thursday, November 8th at 5 PM (local time) in the wake of President Donald Trump's firing of Attorney General Jeff Sessions. Right after Trump forced Sessions to resign, the White House announced that Matthew Whitaker—a DOJ official who has shown open hostility to the probe by Special Counsel Robert Mueller—would now serve as acting AG and be put in charge of the ongoing investigation.

"Trump just put someone who has openly trashed Special Counsel Robert Mueller's Russia investigation in charge of it," Robert Weissman, president of Public Citizen, one of the advocacy groups behind the rapid-response demonstrations, explained in an emergency email Wednesday evening. "Trump thought that by waiting until after the polls closed on Election Day, our voices would be silent. He was wrong."

Many organizations are sponsoring the protests including Indivisible, MoveOn.org, Common Dreams and March for Truth.

I'll be out there.

Find one near you:
https://www.trumpisnotabovethelaw.org/event/mueller-firing-rapid-response/search/

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2569 on: November 08, 2018, 04:28:58 PM »
I heard about this unexpected flip of the Congressional seat las tonight, Linda. I was wondering which one of the three
was your representative! Was the re-elected representative (northern NM) also a woman?

No it is a man, and is in the third district. He is the Democratic incumbent. I am in the first district, and the woman who was elected is one of the two Native American women elected to the House. So we have two women and a man as our representatives, and a new Democratic woman Governor.
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #2570 on: November 08, 2018, 06:59:41 PM »
Yay!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #2571 on: November 09, 2018, 06:11:59 AM »
An apparent terrorist has set a car on fire in a shopping street in the centre of Melbourne, assaulted police who responded to the fire, stabbed three civilians, one of them fatally, attacked two police with a knife until another policeman shot him in the chest. The attacker died in hospital.

The police say the attacker is known to Victorian and Federal police and intelligence agencies, but are withholding his identity until tomorrow. Counter Terrorist agencies are investigating.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2572 on: November 10, 2018, 08:57:23 AM »
Trump isn't paying a visit and respects to the US WW1 soldiers at the Cemetery outside of Paris because of the WEATHER??? Christ on a Cracker!! That was one of the MAIN reasons for his trip there. It's Veteran's Day tomorrow...............honestly, I do believe Trump is extremely jealous of Macron, much like he is of Trudeau as well......now there are 2 World Leaders who LOOK and ACT like Leaders of the Free World.....plus they are BOTH slightly better looking than our President!! ;D ;D ;D LOL.....and Trudeau is TALLER than Trump too.... :o

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2573 on: November 10, 2018, 10:40:58 AM »
That was one of the MAIN reasons for his trip there.

Well, you know, he got several deferments to get out of going to Vietnam because his feet hurt.

Actually, the Kremlin has reported that Trump's main reason to go is because he's meeting up with Putin there.

True.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/white-house/trump-putin--paris

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #2574 on: November 10, 2018, 10:45:45 AM »
He could have ridden a golf cart there.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #2575 on: November 10, 2018, 01:29:56 PM »
I'm so sorry to see this.  Devastating and frightening

At least 9 dead as fires spread at both ends of California
By Nicole Chavez and Dakin Andone, CNN

Updated 2:17 PM ET, Sat November 10, 2018

(CNN)In a matter of days, a Northern California fire has become the most destructive in the state's modern history, killing at least nine people and wiping out much of an entire town.

A quarter of a million people have been forced from their homes statewide as the Camp Fire in the north and two other major fires -- Woolsey and Hill -- in Southern California burned this weekend.

Evacuees trapped in traffic abandoned their cars and ran with their children in tow as the Camp Fire quickly closed in on Northern California's Butte County.

Malibu mansions burned to the ground in Southern California, while another fast-growing brush fire left employees at the Los Angeles Zoo racing to protect animals from smoke.

In Thousand Oaks, a community mourning this week's mass shooting, a recreation center where survivors grieved was filled with people fleeing the fire.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/10/us/california-wildfires-camp-woolsey-hill/index.html
“I answer the heroic question 'Death, where is thy sting? ' with ' it is here in my heart and mind and memories.'”  Maya Angelou

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2576 on: November 10, 2018, 03:29:24 PM »
^^^

It's very sad. I've never seen such brutal no holds barred fast moving fires...engulfing homes in a gulp...moving faster
than the wind that's propelling them...trees throwing off gobs of burning material like molotov cocktails to one building
after another...people trying to evacuate and there's so many fires they don't know which way to go...the ENTIRE city
of Malibu told to get out...evacuate...the 91 year old Paramount Ranch in Agoura where so many films and tv series
have been shot leveled in an instant...the sound of the devil Santa Ana winds as they whistle through the canyons
like crazed ghosts, spitting fire at the drought parched landscape...the amazing firefighters battling the enormous and
overwhelming situation gets a heartless tweet from the climate change denier President telling them it's their own fault
for forest mismanagement as he threatens to pull federal funding...the International Association of Fire Fighters takes
precious time out to call his comments about massive wildfires burning throughout California as cruelly "irresponsible,
reckless and insulting"...Headlines: California Wildfires Multiply as Incendiary President Tweets Inflammatory Remarks...

Online brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #2577 on: November 10, 2018, 08:54:33 PM »
"the amazing firefighters battling the enormous and
overwhelming situation gets a heartless tweet from the climate change denier President telling them it's their own fault
for forest mismanagement as he threatens to pull federal funding"
This was on our news first thing when I woke up this morning and we had all the devastating footage of the fires on last night's news.
I know it insults you but I just cannot understand how a nation could elect such a cretin as its leader.

And we also saw footage of the mother of the guy (bouncer?) who escaped the Las Vegas shooting but was killed in the night club. Her words "I do not want you to send me your prayers" had me near to tears. I no longer believe in a God who answers prayers and think the world would be much better off without any religion.

Online brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #2578 on: November 10, 2018, 08:55:41 PM »
"the amazing firefighters battling the enormous and
for forest mismanagement as he threatens to pull federal funding"
This was on our news first thing when I woke up this morning and we had all the devastating footage of the fires on last night's news.
I know it insults you but I just cannot understand how a nation could elect such a cretin as its leader. I do not know who I hate most, Putin or Trump.

And we also saw footage of the mother of the guy (bouncer?) who escaped the Las Vegas shooting but was killed in the night club. Her words "I do not want you to send me your prayers" had me near to tears. I no longer believe in a God who answers prayers and think the world would be much better off without any religion.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2579 on: Yesterday at 10:02:42 AM »
I know it insults you but I just cannot understand how a nation could elect such a cretin as its leader.

You mean you know Trump insults us or did you mean saying what you wrote does?

I don't understand how this nation could elect such a cretin, either. It makes no sense.
The same states that pushed him over the edge, just elected Democrats as Governors.

But in the 2016 case our electoral college system was rigged toward it. Clinton received three million more votes.
The electors who actually vote and decide the outcome and were intended as a check on who "the people"
voted for, did not serve as a check at all, they rubber stamped it.

When people say, and they often do, they don't know how this nation could've elected this person, I have to
point out that the nation also elected President Obama twice...so does that give us any hope?

In the two years he's been in office, the president* hasn't had any outside crisis to deal with, either. THANKFULLY.
Everything that's been negative is of his own doing. Imagine if some real crisis occurs he has to deal with? Can
you imagine if he was elected in 2008 with the financial collapse? Good news bad news.

When he's finally OUT this country is going to have such a hangover. Trump is like the iceberg that's hit the Titanic
and the Republicans and his supporters are currently just arranging deck chairs.