The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2022  (Read 753129 times)

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
Re: News and Current Events - 2017
« Reply #2790 on: March 14, 2019, 12:08:01 AM »
My little one is that age and I swear I can't imagine leaving him to live with an unknown man at all, let alone knowing that they sleep in the same bed. WTF were they thinking, even with no sexual abuse involved the thing is just plain weird.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2791 on: March 14, 2019, 07:57:36 AM »
Now Beto is in the Dems nom race too! Get ready for Grassroots fundraising and small town/cities gatherings! LOL...unless he goes BIG, and that includes fundraising and large Metro areas, I don't think he'll survive.....but WHO KNOWS?? Part of this Country elected Trump!  :o :o :o

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #2792 on: March 14, 2019, 10:17:14 PM »
My beautiful peaceful country has been ruined
https://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/one-custody-reports-least-27-dead-chch
Bastard(s)

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2793 on: March 14, 2019, 10:28:18 PM »
Oh, Brian...  :'(

Offline Paul029

• Obsessed
« Reply #2794 on: March 14, 2019, 11:05:24 PM »
Shocking news, Brian.  :(
...there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain...

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #2795 on: March 15, 2019, 01:37:03 AM »
Just terrible.

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #2796 on: March 15, 2019, 02:46:48 AM »
41 were killed in one mosque, 7 in another, 1 has since died in hospital so 49 in total. 20 are in hospital in a critical condition. They say 48 were taken to hospital with gunshot wounds.
The previous biggest massacre in NZ was near me, here in Dunedin when a madman went berserk in 1990. 13 were killed including the lone policeman sent to deal with him. I have often visited the memorial including just last February while hiking.
The say the main perpetrator (3 have been arrested) this time came from Australia and the car was registered to an address in Dunedin, that street  has now been evacuated and cordoned off. He apparently at first planned to attack the mosque here in Dunedin but then chose the bigger one in Christchurch. (Dunedin population is 130,000 (Christchurch 375,000 and 300 km north).
One security analyst on TV said the security people here were focussed on muslim extremists and not white supremacists and one policemen told him they were just clowns.
Out regional turbo prop planes do not have security, you board them just like a bus. They have been cancelled out of Christchurch tonight and possible tomorrow. I fear that might change. Our police do not regularly carry guns.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #2797 on: March 15, 2019, 02:49:17 AM »

This is horrible.

A nightmare.

(Very few infos about it in the news here, I wonder why. In our radio broadcast earlier today, there were barely three-four sentences about it.)
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2798 on: March 15, 2019, 11:10:00 AM »
This is horrible.

A nightmare.

(Very few infos about it in the news here, I wonder why. In our radio broadcast earlier today, there were barely three-four sentences about it.)
Praying for your Country, Brian, this is horrid news, but all too common in our lives now.....sad!  :'( :(

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2799 on: March 15, 2019, 11:17:42 AM »
Was there money involved when these young men were children? To their parents, I mean. When these accusations first came out, I remember wondering what were their parents thinking? Were they willingly turning a blind eye to their sons sharing a bed with Michael Jackson? Even if he never laid a hand on those boys, that still strikes me as creepy.

Celebrity is seductive. Answering that question involves a lot of steps that add up to "knowing on hindsight" but not while it was happening in many ways.

As for money being involved...MIchael Jackson offered the trappings of his wealth to the two boys and their families, paying for everything etc. and it wasn't mentioned, but when they were part of his tour there must've been a salary, though that wasn't discussed, but the two profiled in the documentary were not involved in the two famous public accusations (they weren't the accusers in those cases) that resulted in money paid to the families, those were different situations, discussed in the film.

Lyle....I have watched this too. Both episodes. Apart from the utter horror with what Jackson did to these (and or others)kids.....what did you make of their parents...
letting their little boys go with him all over the world for weeks at a time ?  Crazy.... and completely round the the loop comes to my mind.

I think this documentary, if one watches the whole thing, shows how people can be fine with something at first and just not realize the entirety of the situation. Yes, until it's too late.

I liken it to the game show scandals of the late 1950's.  The film Quiz Show shows how a very smart, sophisticated, college professor from a great family innocently decides to show off his knowledge on a game show. The end of the movie shows how he becomes disgraced because he was ultimately cheating, but the middle shows how that happened. He was a moral and ethical guy, but small decisions that seemed correct and innocent at the time and were encouraged by the game show producers who were telling him that's the way things were done and there was nothing wrong with it, were ultimately his downfall. Even though he'd questioned it himself in various ways.

It's like being in the ocean and feeling like you can go out further and further until suddenly you realize you shouldn't have.

When people ask, "How could you have done such and such," it usually comes from a place of knowing on hindsight. I don't know how many times I've seen shows like Oprah or Dr. Phil where the people involved in something that seems so obvious had no idea what was going on when it was happening.

It's like the scene in the 1997 film TItanic where the guy on the salvage vessel in the beginning is telling and showing Gloria Stuart, with computer animated graphics, what actually happened to the ship after hitting the iceberg. She softly replies something like, "Thank you for that fine forensic analysis Mr. Bodine," and then almost to herself, "Of course the experience of it was somewhat different."

I also have to point out...there are people who STILL believe that Michael Jackson is absolutely blameless.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2800 on: March 15, 2019, 11:23:17 AM »
Praying for your Country, Brian, this is horrid news, but all too common in our lives now.....sad!  :'( :(

Add my concern to everyone else, Brian. (((((( Brian ))))))

I want to comment, but something someone posted above conflicts with news I had heard, so I'd better hold off until more facts come forth.

But that doesn't always happen. That Vegas concert massacre that happened a year and a half ago is still mired
in conflict and mystery as to motives and how it was handled by authorities.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2801 on: March 15, 2019, 11:30:04 AM »

Boeing 737 Max planes grounded world-wide

Has this affected any one?  Guess what IS NOT getting much attention?  Before the second airliner crash, Boeing had been working on a software fix for the possible problem that has been noted in these aircraft (similar problems with the two crashes have been reported before, but a crash didn't happen). This "software fix" (which sounds just awful in terms of an airplane problem that causes planes to crash) was in the works and should be ready quite soon, but HAD BEEN DELAYED FIVE WEEKS BECAUSE OF TRUMP'S GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN. In other words, if not for the shutdown, this second crash may not have happened.

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2802 on: March 15, 2019, 11:33:57 AM »
Someone should make clear to all and every republican hiding behind Trump that the people who died in that crash are on their consciences  >:(

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #2803 on: March 15, 2019, 11:36:05 AM »
Republican and conscience do not go together.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #2804 on: March 15, 2019, 11:41:33 AM »
...  HAD BEEN DELAYED FIVE WEEKS BECAUSE OF TRUMP'S GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN. In other words, if not for the shutdown, this second crash may not have happened.

Gosh.
That's terrible.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.