The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet January - April 2017  (Read 6369 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
The Daily Sheet January - April 2017
« on: January 02, 2017, 03:24:34 PM »
NOTICE FOR DOMAIN MOVE:

We  are  waiting  on  a  few  technical  confirmations  from  the hosting company,  but  hope  to  initiate  the  move  within  24 -36 hours.

If you have not bookmarked or written down the new URL, please do so before the change over.

https://www.UltimateBrokebackForum.com/forum
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 03:41:58 PM by killersmom »
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: The Daily Sheet January - April 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 11:17:34 PM »

Tuesday, January 17th, 2017

The Forum Has a New Address!

Yes, the forum has a new address, and everything appears to be in place.  As a refresh for why the move was necessary, this is from the original announcement: For a host of technical reasons beyond Dave’s technical ability, he needed to turn his website over to a service that can handle much of the work—and it can’t support the massive forum database. Dave really wants the forum to proceed, so the solution is simple: just split Dave’s personal pages and the forum to two separate web addresses. 

The two sites are now separate entities, but both remain under the ownership of Dave Cullen.

As you explore, if you should see something that is not working properly, please send a PM to a member of the Mod Team, and they will escalate it to the proper person.

Thanks for your patience during the transition, and it's good to have you back and participating!

Annie Proulx Loves Her Ski Time

The house stands in Vermont’s crooked terrain of slanted field and steep wood. A hundred years ago people worked the copper mines and raised sheep in this town. The metal and the sheep are long gone and the population has withered to a few hundred. Yet a network of abandoned roads from those old days, reamed out from time to time by log skidders, still laces the hills. Under deep snow they become superb backcountry ski routes.

My skiing time notches a precise part of the winter day. Sitting and scribbling, telephone talk, reading, typing—how stiff and restless one gets. But in late afternoon, the work ends. The final hours of light are mine and over the years I have come to love skiing in the blue dusk. So important to me are these hours that only a blizzard can keep me inside.

When I start out on the hill it is often sun gilded and, on the return, I can see the way only because of the faint luminescence of the snow and because my eyes have adjusted to the failing light. The crepuscular rim of twilight seems a powerful and mysterious hour for me. The wind drops and a stillness falls. The fading sunset colors unroll like bolts of French silk behind the woods. Wildlife begins to move. I have seen fisher cats, coyotes, foxes on these dusk occasions.

To read more of Annie's words, describing her evening ski trips, click the link below.

Skiing After Dark by Annie Proulx

CMT Star Cody Alan Comes Out as Gay

To country music fans, Cody Alan has always been a ball of sunshine. But for years, the seemingly happy-go-lucky CMT and iHeartRadio host suffered an identity crisis, holding onto a secret he’s finally ready to share — that he’s gay.

“Though my TV or my radio persona was always that of a happy guy, there was this underlying ache inside of me for years, so I decided either I was gonna do something about it, or I was gonna live with this layer of misery underneath that happy face on the TV,” Alan, 44, tells PEOPLE exclusively.

“Once I realized it was okay to accept the truth, that it wasn’t my choice,” he adds, “it was a lot easier to start figuring out where to go with my life next.”  Since having that epiphany, the CMT personality has spent years coming to terms with his sexuality. And today, “I feel comfortable enough with myself to share it,” Alan says. “I’ve wanted to share this part of my life, but I now have gotten to the point where it just feels right, and I’m at peace with where I am enough to be able to express it.”

In a Thursday morning Instagram post, Alan offered a heartfelt letter to his fans and followers, opening up about his journey to self-acceptance.

CMT Star Cody Alan Comes Out as Gay

Pregnant Lesbian Shuts Down Trolls Who Said She Shouldn’t Carry Baby As She’s ‘More Masculine’

A pregnant lesbian has found a brilliant way to respond to trolls who told her she shouldn’t carry a baby as she’s the “more masculine” person in her relationship.  Domonique and Crissy Wilson, who regularly post YouTube videos, recently shared their first pregnancy photo baring Domonique’s baby bump.  However they received some negative comments such as:

“Tell me why the masculine one is having the baby?”

Screenshots of Domonique baring her baby bump on Snapchat were also shared on Facebook with negative comments.

One user, Bri Naylor, shared a picture of the snaps with the caption: “Somebody explain wtf is going on.” Her post was shared nearly 5,000 times.

One person wrote on the picture: “I’m confused why didn’t Chrissy carry the baby?”

Pregnant Lesbian Shuts Down Trolls

Meet Gloria Allen - Trans Icon

Gloria Allen, 71, is a transgender African-American woman who is seen as an icon by many in her community. She volunteered for years teaching a charm-school class at Chicago’s Center on Halsted, trying to teach transgender and gender nonconforming youth how to survive and to believe in themselves.

“If we were all the same way in this world, we would be boring,” Allen tells The Root. “When God created mankind and womankind, we were created in his image. So that means if you don’t like this person because this person is black or white … or this guy wants to be a girl or this girl wants to be a guy, something is wrong. We’re not giving God his due respect, because God made us out of love. That’s my theory on it.”

Allen, a retired licensed practical nurse at the University of Chicago, started teaching etiquette at the Center on Halsted. She says she was having lunch with other LGBTQ senior citizens—whom she calls a group of “seasoned women”—when a group of scantily dressed young girls sashayed in, being loud and gyrating around the tables, and she was not having it.

Meet Gloria Allen - Trans Icon

Austin Armacost Identifies as Asexual

AUSTIN Armacost has revealed he’s asexual and like a “nun in bed” after splitting from husband Jake Lees.  The model who re-entered the Celebrity Big Brother house on Tuesday night made the surprising revelation, adding: “I’m just not that into it.”

Austin, 28, who split from his personal trainer husband Jake Lees last year, confided: “I am very asexual person.  I am probably in all honesty the least sexual people you will ever meet.  As much as I love getting my kit off and showing my bum everywhere, I am like a nun in bed.”

Chatting to former Big Brother star and showbiz reporter Andy West, Austin went on: “I am not going to go out with someone and have sex with them. Even after a fourth or fifth date – that’s not what I want. I want a nice man! It has little to do with physicality."

Austin Armacost Identifies as Asexual

Brokie Gathering -  2017

There will be a Brokie gathering in 2017 in August.  We're meeting in Casper, Wyoming, to watch  the solar eclipse together.

Here is a link to the thread about the gathering, if you're interested, post in the thread and let us know!!!

http://www.ultimatebrokebackforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=49254.

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: KillersMom, CellarDweller115, gwyllion

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://www.ultimatebrokebackforum.com.

Today's edition by KillersMom, CellarDweller115

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to CellarDweller115.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 12:16:37 AM by killersmom »
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 08:09:34 PM »

Tuesday, January 24th, 2017

Ultimate Brokeback Forum Financial Status

Hello Ultimate Brokeback Forum members.

To start the new year, Linda (KillersMom) has posted an updated accounting of the forum's donations, and expenses.

To review the post, just click the link below.

To all those who donated, thank you!!!

Ultimate Brokeback Forum Financial Status

Pacific Northwest Bookseller Awards

The Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association, the organization that represents independent booksellers in Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon and Washington, has announced its 2016 book awards. Here’s the first entry on their list:

“Barkskins” by Annie Proulx. An 400-year epic novel about the despoliation of the North American forests, told through the lives of two intersecting families. Proulx lives in Carnation.

Since 1993, Annie Proulx has won over 21 literary awards.  This includes 3 for Close Range, Wyoming Stories, which contains the story Brokeback Mountain, as well as 2 short story awards for Brokeback Mountain.

Pacific Northwest Bookseller Awards

The Women March!

More than 1 million people gathered in Washington and in cities around the country and the world Saturday to mount a roaring rejoinder to the inauguration of President Trump. What started as a Facebook post by a Hawaii retiree became an unprecedented international rebuke of a new president that packed cities large and small — from London to Los Angeles, Paris to Park City, Utah, Miami to Melbourne, Australia.

The organizers of the Women’s March on Washington, who originally sought a permit for a gathering of 200,000, said Saturday that as many as half a million people participated.

Many in the nation’s capital and other cities said they were inspired to join because of Trump’s divisive campaign and his disparagement of women, minorities and immigrants. In signs and shouts, they mocked what they characterized as Trump’s lewd language and sexist demeanor.

The Women March!

Mother Murders Gay Son

A Brazilian mother stabbed her 17-year-old son to death because he was gay after two thugs she hired to kill him failed to do so, police said.   Tatiana Lozano Pereira, 32, admitted to killing her son Itaberli Lozano in Cravinhos, Sao Paulo.   According to local reports, Pereira had long rejected her son because he was gay.

They had an explosive row at Christmas after which Itaberli moved in with his grandmother.  Pereira pretended to forgive him and, on December 29, urged him to return home.

However she had secretly hired hitmen Miller da Silva Barissa, 18, and Victor Roberto da Silva, 19, to kill her son.  She hid them inside her home under orders to attack him when he entered.
After returning home, Lozano was reportedly ambushed by the woman and two thugs she had hired to beat her son.  However they failed to kill him and so she grabbed a kitchen knife and stabbed her son to death, according to Helton Tosti Renz, the police officer in charge of the investigation.  According to local reports, Pereira and her husband, Alex Pereira, 30, the victim's stepfather, then took her son's body to an abandoned area and burned it.  The victim's paternal grandmother reported his disappearance to police.

Mother Murders Gay Son

Last Lesbian Bars

Queer magazine The Advocate recently put together a list of the "queerest" cities.  One of the considerations for a city to make the list was amount of LGBT bars located in the city.

They found out that a number of LGBT bars are disappearing, but lesbians bars seem to be the fastest disappearing group.

With this in mind, they've put together a slide show of 9 lesbian bars across the country that are still going strong.

Click the link below  to see the slide show.

Last Lesbian Bars

Seattle’s First Openly Transgender Officer

Tori Newburn, Seattle first openly transgender cop, joined the city’s police department in 2014.  But he waited until May 2016 before he came out to his fellow officers even though he began transitioning 10 years ago. Now, thanks to recent interviews with NBC and Vice, the news has gone national.

“I put a lot of thought into it,” Newburn told King 5 News, a NBC affiliate in Seattle. “People don’t look at me and automatically know that I’m transgender. Like most people don’t know at all unless I tell them.”

Newburn received support from both his colleagues and parents when he came out to them. The 32-year-old told King 5 News that these positive experiences makes him feel privileged.  Newburn is also fortunate enough to work at a department that has progressive views of the LGTBQ community.

Two years ago, the Seattle PD created the Safe Place Program in which signage is placed in front of businesses that welcome members of the LGBTQ community who need a place to wait for police after reporting hate crimes.

Seattle’s First Openly Transgender Officer

Eames Armstrong

Have an unsettled feeling about the Trump inauguration?  You’re not alone.  Local artists Eames Armstrong and John Moletress will explore issues of “queer bliss and domestic deviance” in a series of paintings, performance objects and multimedia installations they’re calling “Perversion Therapy,” which will be on display at Flashpoint Gallery (916 G St., N.W.) Jan. 14-Feb. 4, presented by CulturalDC, a local art non-profit.

A live performance will be held at the opening on Friday, Jan. 13 and another on Wednesday, Jan. 18. Look for the event on Facebook for full details. It’s free and open to the public. Light refreshments and drinks will be served.

Armstrong, who is genderqueer and uses gender-neutral pronouns, paints, performs, creates sound and writes but it’s mostly their paintings that will be used. Armstrong and Moletress had been kicking around the idea of how home relates to performance art but after Trump was elected, “it became necessary to respond in some way,” Armstrong says.  “My paintings are fun and bright and hopefully a little unsettling,” Armstrong says. “Kind of cute, sexless orgies. I think they complement and contrast nicely with John’s work that’s more overt in its overlapping transgressions.”

Eames Armstrong

Brokie Gathering -  2017

There will be a Brokie gathering in 2017 in August.  We're meeting in Casper, Wyoming, to watch  the solar eclipse together.

Here is a link to the thread about the gathering, if you're interested, post in the thread and let us know!!!

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://www.ultimatebrokebackforum.com.

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 12:17:38 AM by killersmom »
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 07:36:29 PM »

Tuesday, January 31st, 2017

Michelle Williams: I Like to Keep it Real Simple in My Life

No actress on the planet does damaged to quite the same pitch as Michelle Williams. You only have to take Brokeback Mountain, Blue Valentine and My Week With Marilyn, which have all earned her Academy Award nominations to realize she free falls with no safety net in every soul-churning part she plays.  She’s almost certainly guaranteed a fourth, thanks to her searing performance of a mother whose three children perish in a horrific house fire caused by her husband’s drunken negligence in Manchester By The Sea.

It’s heartbreaking, heart-warming and at times wincingly hilarious with Casey Affleck a frontrunner for a best actor nod at the Oscars for his portrayal of her anguished husband Lee.  Michelle slips quietly, almost shyly, into a London hotel suite for our interview and it’s not difficult to understand why the film’s writer/director Kenneth Lonergan had told me earlier,

“I was a bit worried at first. She is so small and delicate and I didn’t know if she would have the toughness of the character."

Michelle Williams: I Like to Keep it Real Simple in My Life

March on Washington Could Reignite the Full Force of the Gay Rights Movement

The huge turnout and success of the March on Washington, and the sister rallies around the globe, has inspired a National Pride March, a “mass” protest at the nation’s capital on June 11, as it coincides with Capital Pride’s June 8-11 weekend of events.  David Bruinooge, 42, lives in New York, and has friends in D.C. He was moved to start a Facebook event page announcing the event while watching the Women’s March on Washington.

“I was watching the events unfold on TV and I was very proud and inspired by all the women, the strong women in our country who were kind of taking this to the street and getting their voices heard,” he told the Washington Blade. “And in the back of my mind as an openly gay man I thought the gay community should be doing something like this to follow up on the momentum.”

This would mark the first large-scale march on Washington since the National Equality March in 2009. Still the largest march occurred in 1993, called the March on Washington for Lesbian, Gay, and Bi Equal Rights and Liberation. Estimates of the crowd size vary, with organizers estimating a million in attendance, with the D.C. Police Department coming up with a similar count of 800,000 to over one million.

March on Washington Could Reignite the Full Force of the Gay Rights Movement

Why Bisexual Men Are Still Fighting to Convince Us They Exist

Travis has had both boyfriends and girlfriends since high school. But when his coworkers discovered his dating history at a board game night, they told him he couldn’t be bisexual. “Bi men don’t exist,” they said. “You’re just a confused gay guy.” Travis, 34, had brought his girlfriend with him that night, but they started calling her his “roommate” after they found out he was bi.

Santiago got an even harsher reaction when he came out to his family. “‘Bisexual’ is just code for insincere gay man” is how he said one of his relatives reacted. “He didn’t use the term ‘gay man,’” 24-year-old Santiago told me, “but I won’t repeat slurs.”

In the past couple of months, I’ve heard dozens of stories like these from bisexual men who have had their sexual orientations invalidated by family members, friends, partners, and even strangers. Thomas was called a “fence-sitter” by a group of gay men at a bar. Shirodj was told that he was “just gay but not ready to come out of the closet.” Alexis had his bisexuality questioned by a lesbian teacher who he thought would be an ally. Many of these same men have been told that women are “all a little bi” or “secretly bi” but that men can only be gay or straight, nothing else.

Why Bisexual Men Are Still Fighting to Convince Us They Exist

Macy Gray Talks Lesbian Flings

Through the Keyhole fans have been left in hysterics following a wacky appearance by Macy Gray.  Saturday night’s episode saw the "I Try" singer let host Keith Lemon into her home in America, but the most interesting part was when the star joined him and the celebrity panel in the studio.

The 47-year-old tried to do her best impression of a British accent, but didn't know what show to say she was on when Keith asked her to do a pretend link.  The host had to point to the sign behind her before Macy knew what to say, and moment later she started talking about lesbian flings she had had in her life.   After explaining why she had so many pairs of men's trousers in her wardrobe, she said: "I wonder if everybody thinks I'm a lesbian because I have so many pairs, I do like men's trousers but whatever...I could be a lesbian."  "Actually I've been a lesbian a few times."

As even Keith looked surprised, the audience howled with laughter as she continued: "So it's all good, it's not bad. I wouldn't hate on it."

Macy Gray Talks Lesbian Flings

Boy Scouts Will Allow Transgender Children Who Identify as Boys Into Programs

The Boy Scouts of America announced Monday that it will allow transgender children who identify as boys to enroll in its boys only programs.  The organization said it had made the decision to begin basing enrollment in its boys-only programs on the gender a child or parent lists on the application to become a scout. The Boy Scouts had previously held a policy that relied on the gender listed on a child's birth certificate for those programs.

The organization's leadership had considered a recent case in Secaucus, New Jersey, where an 8-year-old transgender child had been asked to leave his Scout troop after parents and leaders found out he is transgender. But the statement issued Monday said the change was made because of the larger conversation about gender identity going on around the country.

"For more than 100 years, the Boy Scouts of America, along with schools, youth sports and other youth organizations, have ultimately deferred to the information on an individual's birth certificate to determine eligibility for our single-gender programs," the statement said. "However, that approach is no longer sufficient as communities and state laws are interpreting gender identity differently, and these laws vary widely from state to state."

Boy Scouts Will Allow Transgender Children Who Identify as Boys Into Programs

Belgian Supermodel Shares She is Intersex

Belgian supermodel Hanne Gaby Odiele, who is famous for strutting on high-fashion runways, dropped a bombshell this week when she revealed to USA Today that she is intersex.  “It is very important to me in my life right now to break the taboo,” 29-year-old Odiele told the newspaper. “At this point, in this day and age, it should be perfectly all right to talk about this.”

Individuals who are intersex don’t fit traditional definitions of female or male based on their genitals or chromosomes. According to the United Nations, about as many intersex babies are born as are redheads.

By divulging her true identity, Odiele told USA Today, the supermodel hopes to raise awareness of the often secretive surgeries intersex children are forced to undergo. Odiele reportedly experienced such a procedure at age 10, when surgeons removed her testes, which were internal and undescended. USA Today reported that Odiele was born with XY chromosomes due to an intersex characteristic called Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome (AIS). She later underwent vaginal reconstructive surgery.

Belgian Supermodel Shares She is Intersex

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 12:19:32 AM by killersmom »
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 09:03:57 PM »

Tuesday, February 14th, 2017

9 Inspiring Heath Ledger Quotes to Live By

It's hard to believe it has been nine years since Heath Ledger's death of an accidental overdose made headlines.  Fast forward nearly a decade, and the Australian actor, who won an Oscar for his role as the Joker shortly after his passing, has not been forgotten by fans.

In an interview last year, his father, Kim Ledger, revealed Heath's heartbreaking final words.

"Basically, Heath was complaining about not being able to sleep, because he was busy, he was meeting Steven Spielberg the next morning, he really needed to be bright and shiny and he was finding it difficult with a chest cold, or the chest infection to sleep," his dad told ABC Australia about his last phone call with sister Kate. "So Kate was saying to him, 'well Heath, you can't take you know, sleeping tablets on top of prescription medication, you know its not a good mixture'."

He continued, "And he sort of said, 'Katie, Katie, look...it'll be fine, you know, I just need to get some sleep.'"

While his time in Hollywood was short, the 29-year-old star's legacy will live on thanks to his beautiful daughter Matilda, with ex Michelle Williams, and his inspiring work.

For a look back at Heath's best quotes, click through the gallery below!

9 Inspiring Heath Ledger Quotes to Live By

Gay Rights Advocates May Be Close Enacting LGBT Ordinance

Gay rights advocates may be closer than ever to enacting LGBT discrimination protections in Jacksonville and earning a hard-fought victory in a battle that’s loomed over the city for a half-decade.

The legislation earned support from 10 council members last week during committee reviews of the legislation — the minimum majority it needs to pass — leaving supporters cautiously optimistic the bill will pass when it comes to a final vote Tuesday.  Still, there’s no certainty the fragile majority that emerged last week will remain when it’s time for council members to vote Tuesday.  Case in point: A similar gay rights bill failed in 2012 by a 9 to 10 vote after former Councilman Johnny Gaffney, who supported it during a committee review, later switched sides and cast the deciding no vote.

It’s even less certain whether the legislation will pass with a 13-vote majority that would shield it from a mayoral veto — and more important, what Mayor Lenny Curry, who has said in the past he thinks the legislation isn’t necessary, would do if it arrived on his desk without one.

Gay Rights Advocates May Be Close Enacting LGBT Ordinance

9 Hip-Hop Artists Who Embrace Being Gay, Lesbian or Bisexual

It’s no secret that there’s been a longstanding stigma when it comes to homosexuality in hip-hop. Some artists have even had their rap careers tarnished by rumors that they were interested in someone of the same sex. But as a new generation of hip-hop consumers emerge, the culture is proving to be more openminded than ever before.  Last week, both Chicago rapper Taylor Bennett and Atlanta native iLoveMakonnen opened up about their sexuality, serving as perfect examples of the evolving ethos. On Jan. 18, Taylor Bennett, the younger brother of Chance The Rapper, came out as a bisexual man. The 21-year-old shared the statement on Twitter.

“I do recognize myself as a bisexual male [and] have always openly supported the gay community & will keep doing so in 2017,” he wrote. Taylor’s older brother Chance soon tweeted his support for his baby bro. Chano posted a video with Taylor, captioning it “Love this man right here, through any and all. He has grown into a great man. He’s got God and me behind him, he cannot fail he cannot fall.”

Two days later on Jan. 20, iLoveMakonnen went on both Twitter and Instagram to proclaim he is a gay man. “As a fashion icon, I can’t tell u about everybody else’s closet, I can only tell u about mine, and it’s time I’ve come out. And since y’all love breaking news, here’s some old news to break, I’m gay. And now I’ve told u about my life,maybe u can go [live] yours,” he tweeted. Shortly after, his name was a Trending Topic on Twitter. His announcement was supported by his friend and musical collaborator, Tunji Ige, who wrote, “Be free Red Dragon, we got you!”

9 Hip-Hop Artists Who Embrace Being Gay, Lesbian or Bisexual

Lesbian Couple Receives Harassing Note at Library

A lesbian couple leaving the Jimmie B. Keel Library on Monday night said they found a harassing not on their windshield.  The two believe they were targeted because of the equality sticker on their vehicle.  The couple did not want to do a formal interview with ABC Action News, but Patty Cohn was with the couple at the library. She said the note was shocking.

“These women are in their mid-seventies one needs a cane to walk, they were parked in a handicapped parking spot,” said Cohn.

Cohn said the libraries security cameras did not show who left the note on the windshield.  Library staff members were alerted to the note, but did not take any action. A spokesperson said the issue was a private matter between two people with opposing views. The couple never called law enforcement after discovering the note.

“We don’t know who wrote this nasty letter to them, but obviously it was coward,” said Cohn.  The couple was attending a Hillsborough County Women’s Democratic Club meeting. Group members said they plan to find a public way to support the women.

LGBTQ Groups Plead With Trump

LGBTQ organizations sent out a public letter on Monday to President Donald Trump’s administration making a single plea: Please keep a guidance, from the previous Obama administration, that protects transgender students’ rights in public schools.

A few months before Trump was elected president, the Obama administration sent out guidance to federally funded schools arguing that trans students are protected by existing federal civil rights law. So, the administration said, schools should respect trans students’ rights, including their right to use the bathrooms and locker rooms that align with their gender identity.

The Obama administration cited Title IX, which prohibits sex discrimination in public schools. It argued that anti-trans discrimination is prohibited sex discrimination, because discrimination against trans people is rooted in stereotypes and prejudices of what people should be like based on the sex they were assigned at birth.

But Trump said the guidance, even though it was not legally binding, was an example of federal overreach, and he vowed to undo it once he was elected. And last week, his Justice Department pulled away from a case defending the guidelines in court — suggesting that the Trump administration is ready to let the guidance legally die.

LGBTQ Groups Plead With Trump

Thanks to Tumblr, I’m Genderqueer

Whenever I tell people I’m genderqueer, they usually respond in one of two ways: “What’s that?” or “Isn’t that something Tumblr made up?” I have no problem with the first question since not many are familiar with non-binary trans people, but the second question is annoying. To say I’m genderqueer because of something I read on Tumblr dismisses my long self-discovery. I could go through the history of non-binary genders and all the gender therapists who recognize them, but sometimes I have to say, “Yes, if it wasn’t for Tumblr, I wouldn’t be genderqueer, and here’s how.”

It’s a cliché, but I always knew I was “different.” I’d try to socialize with all the other boys at school, but always felt, “I’m not one of them.” Socializing with girls, I’d think, “I’m more like them… but not totally one of them.” Masculinity never fit me, but femininity, while much more comfortable, didn’t either.

In high school, I discovered David Bowie, the Goth scene, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show. They introduced me to the idea that gender expression can be fluid, and there’s no right way to behave if you were assigned male at birth. Androgyny fit me, but I didn’t think of it as any sign of being transgender. I never had any extreme discomfort during puberty, except for excessive body hair. Shaving my gorilla hands was enough to ease my discomfort.

Thanks to Tumblr, I’m Genderqueer

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: KillersMom, CellarDweller115,  Lyle (Mooska)

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 12:22:23 AM by killersmom »
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 06:50:08 PM »

Tuesday, February 21st, 2017

"Moonlight" Resonates Like "Brokeback"

“Brokeback Mountain” and “Moonlight,” the stunning movie nominated for eight Oscars that was directed by Barry Jenkins and written by Jenkins and Tarell McCraney, could not be more different. And yet, when the credits rolled on the latter, my emotions reminded me of the way I felt after seeing the former 12 years ago. What I’d just watched in each film was a powerful love story beautifully rendered with understated grace.

“Brokeback Mountain,” which won three Oscars in 2006, is the tale of two white men who discover their feelings for each one summer while herding sheep in Wyoming and the complex lives they lead over the years. “Moonlight,” based on McCraney’s quasi-autobiographical play “In Moonlight Black Boys Look Blue,” is the story of the harrowing life of an African American boy who becomes a man during the crack epidemic in Miami and the love of a childhood friend (Kevin) he never forgot. It is told from the perspective of Little, Chiron and Black, the three names of the protagonist as we watch him grow up and his life unfold in three parts.

Why ‘Moonlight’ Eesonated as Strongly With Me as ‘Brokeback Mountain’ did 12 Years Ago

Milo Yiannopoulos Loses His Book Deal

Publisher Simon & Schuster announced Monday it cancelled Breitbart editor Milo Yiannopoulos’s book deal, the latest development in the growing backlash over resurfaced videos of the far-right provocateur criticizing age-of-consent laws.  A statement from the publishing house offered little explanation: “After careful consideration, Simon & Schuster and its Threshold Editions imprint have cancelled publication of ‘Dangerous’ by Milo Yiannopoulos.”

Hours earlier, organizers of the Conservative Political Action Conference rescinded their invitation for Yiannopoulos to participate in this week’s conference. “Due to the revelation of an offensive video in the past 24 hours condoning pedophilia, the American Conservative Union has decided to rescind the invitation,” ACU chairman Matt Schlapp said in a statement.

The videos have been available for years, but resurfaced on social media over the weekend. In them, Yiannopoulos jokes about a teenage sexual encounter with a Catholic priest and argues about age-of-consent laws.

Milo Yiannopoulos Loses His Book Deal

Bisexual Joke Controversy on The Real O'Neals

The Real O’Neals star Noah Galvin is defending his show which is under fire for a recent bisexual joke.  In last week’s episode, Galvin’s gay teenage character Kenny O’Neal compared being bisexual to having ‘webbed toes’ or ‘money problems.’  Galvin, 24, points out that Kenny still has a lot to learn.

‘I think that it’s important to know that these writers … they’re writing an authentic teenager who is still learning and evolving and has never met a bisexual person in his life,’ Galvin told Gay Star News at the Gay and Lesbian Entertainment Critics Association’s annual Winners Toast in Los Angeles.  After the episode aired, bisexual actress Sara Ramirez took to Twitter to say she was ‘truly disheartened and disappointed’ by the writing of the joke.

Ramirez had worked for the same network, ABC, for 10 years playing bisexual doctor Callie Torres on Grey’s Anatomy. Ramirez also tweeted to ABC and the show: ‘Own it, address it, clarify it, empower our #Queer #Bisexual youth & community w/accurate positive reflections.’

Bisexual Joke Controversy on The Real O'Neals

A lesbian couple leaving the Jimmie B. Keel Library on Monday night said they found a harassing not on their windshield.  The two believe they were targeted because of the equality sticker on their vehicle.  The couple did not want to do a formal interview with ABC Action News, but Patty Cohn was with the couple at the library. She said the note was shocking.

“These women are in their mid-seventies one needs a cane to walk, they were parked in a handicapped parking spot,” said Cohn.

Cohn said the libraries security cameras did not show who left the note on the windshield.  Library staff members were alerted to the note, but did not take any action. A spokesperson said the issue was a private matter between two people with opposing views. The couple never called law enforcement after discovering the note.

“We don’t know who wrote this nasty letter to them, but obviously it was coward,” said Cohn.  The couple was attending a Hillsborough County Women’s Democratic Club meeting. Group members said they plan to find a public way to support the women.

Engineering, Pharmacy CET Application Forms to Have a 'Transgender' Category

For the first time, application forms for engineering and pharmacy common entrance test (CET) will have a column for ‘transgender’ in its gender categories.  The state’s directorate of technical education (DTE) decided to include the option in its application forms in order to comply with Supreme Court’s 2014 verdict recognizing transgenders as the third gender. The move will make it easier for transgender students, who are forced to identify themselves as either male or female, to pursue technical courses.

In its judgment, the SC had said that transgenders would be allowed admission in educational institutions and given employment on the basis that they belonged to the third gender category. The apex court had also observed that absence of law recognizing hijras as third gender could not be continued as a ground to discriminate against them in availing equal opportunities in education and employment.

Following the verdict, the University of Mumbai (MU) had instructed affiliated colleges to introduce ‘transgender’ as third gender in its official forms from the 2015-16 academic year. The university had also instructed the colleges to provide counselling and other amenities to transgender students who often face stigma and abuse from their peers.

Engineering, Pharmacy CET Application Forms to Have a 'Transgender' Category

What It Is Like to Identify as Asexual?

An estimated one per cent of British people identify as asexual, which is defined as the absence of desire to have sex or feel any sexual attraction.  Michael Dore, a mathematician and a press officer of the Asexual Visibilty and Education Network (AVEN) first began identifying as asexual at 15-year-old.  At odds with the majority of the other pupils in his all-male school, at an age where testosterone and sexual desire was rife, Michael said he felt very different to his peers.

“It was like a different language if you like, I couldn’t understand what all the fuss was about. People would ask me if I was gay or straight. I’m not either of those, I’m asexual,” he told The Independent.  Aware that he might just be a late developer or going through a phase, Michael did not rule out being sexually active completely but “the years went by and nothing changed in that regard”.

What It Is Like to Identify as Asexual

Brokie Gathering -  2017

http://www.ultimatebrokebackforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=49254.0

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: KillersMom, CellarDweller115,  Gwylion

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 12:23:37 AM by killersmom »
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 09:06:06 PM »

Tuesday, February 28th, 2017

"Counting For Thunder" Sees DVD Release

Great news, everyone! Counting For Thunder will be released on DVD and VOD on May 2nd! Stay tuned for more specifics. In the meantime, Wolfe has uploaded the official trailer on YouTube. Spread the word! As always your continued support means the world to all of us!

The Counting For Thunder Team:  Phillip Irwin Cooper,  Jason Howard,  Amity Janow,  Paul Hardister,  Ellen Raff,  Kurt Donaldson, Donna Ekholdt,  Marsha Oglesby,  Randy Harrison

Counting For Thunder Facebook Page

Counting For Thunder Trailer on YouTube

More Than Just "The Gay Cowboy Movie"

Many are introduced to Ang Lee’s 2005 masterpiece as the “Gay Cowboy Movie,” and that description is a cruel oversimplification. Brokeback Mountain is an epic of universal love. Besides being a film that brilliantly displays beautiful landscapes, boasts a director’s mastery in cinematic composition, and offers one of cinema’s all-time great performances in Heath Ledger’s portrayal of Ennis, Brokeback Mountain is a film that teaches us about the struggles of love through the lens of a rejected homosexual relationship. That homosexual relationship and the hardships of it existing in a culture that doesn’t accept it is central to Brokeback Mountain, creating a setting and conflict for the story to follow through. However, it also lends itself to a deeper understanding of the general nuances of love and societal conformity.

The truths and emotions featured in Brokeback Mountain transcend categories of sexual preference, gender, or even identity. I don’t presume to know the homosexual experience, but I felt every beat of passion along the way. Ennis and Jack meet as young men working a summer job herding sheep in Wyoming. There’s an internal disorientation of masculinity hidden deep within both of these men and acted upon in different ways later in their lives. Jack is passive and yearning with an outsider’s desperation while Ennis is restrained and tough (oh God, Heath Ledger is too good in this movie). You know the drill: they reluctantly form a romance, start to open up to each other, and then end up going their separate ways at the end of the season. What follows is two decades of ebbing and flowing through life while still holding onto, and sometimes even trying to repudiate, some form of truth in the passion between them.

More Than Just "The Gay Cowboy Movie"

Going to the Doctor When You're Bisexual

Navigating healthcare is tricky for young people. For young, bisexual people, it’s even trickier. According to a study from Williams Institute, bisexual people are more likely than both gay men and lesbians to opt not to disclose their orientation to health care providers. Without disclosure though, providers don’t know what your specific needs are and it’s hard to get those needs met. Biphobia, and all of the stigmas that accompany it have an impact on how comfortable bi people are with their healthcare providers, which in turn dictates health outcomes for bi people. I spoke with a number of bisexual people about their experiences navigating the healthcare system. Bi people are a diverse group contending with: mental health and disability, substance abuse, access to healthcare due to poverty, and of course, getting good care when it comes to sexual health.

Going to the Doctor When You're Bisexual

Lesbians Have Way More Orgasms

In news that will shock heterosexual women nowhere, a massive new study suggests that lesbians and bisexual women climax more from sex, just behind straight men on the orgasm leaderboards.
Researchers from three separate institutions, Chapman University, Indiana University and the Kinsey Institute, an organization that “promotes interdisciplinary research and scholarship in the field of human sexuality and related aspects of gender and reproduction,” studied an impressive 52,000 Americans to explore how the frequency of orgasm varies between the genders and those of different sexual orientations.

The report, published in Archives of Sexual Behaviour, yielded some interesting results, and comes complete with tips for upping orgasm frequency.

“Heterosexual men were most likely to say they usually-always orgasmed when sexually intimate (95 percent), followed by gay men (89 percent), bisexual men (88 percent), lesbian women (86 percent), bisexual women (66 percent), and heterosexual women (65 percent),” the report states.

Lesbians Have Way More Orgasms

A Moment Of Uncertainty For Transgender Rights

Last week, the Trump Administration did exactly what many dreaded regarding transgender students. The Justice Department and the Education Department issued a letter that withdrew the Obama Administration’s letters directing schools to allow transgender students to use bathrooms consistent with their gender identity (rather than genitalia, chromosomes, or sex assigned at birth). The same day, the Office of the Solicitor General sent a letter asking the Supreme Court to take note of this about-face in the government’s position on what Title IX requires of schools. The Supreme Court was set to resolve two questions this term in the case of the Gloucester County School Board against Gavin Grimm, a transgender teen-age boy: first, whether the federal government’s view on transgender bathroom use was entitled to deference by courts; and, second, whether the government’s interpretation was correct.

Title IX, which prohibits discrimination “on the basis of sex,” says nothing about bathrooms. But a federal regulation from 1975, three years after the passage of Title IX, clearly says that schools may segregate bathrooms “on the basis of sex.” As questions grew about what, exactly, that meant for transgender students, the Obama Education Department’s Office for Civil Rights issued informal letters stating that schools are obliged by statute and regulation to treat transgender students’ gender identity as their “sex.” In other words, the term “sex” in the phrase “on the basis of sex” meant “internal sense of gender.”

A Moment Of Uncertainty For Transgender Rights

Genderqueer Sex Worker Chooses Sterilzation

While some people are happy to use contraception to avoid unwanted pregnancy, others are determined to pursue a more failsafe option.  Genderqueer sex worker Andie doesn't want children and reveals her decision to be sterilised in a new BBC Three documentary,  which explores the ethics around having the drastic operation. 'I feel like I don't want children, I don't want the mental health problems to be passed on. The work that I do, I don't want to accidentally fall pregnant,' Andie explains in Sterilise Me.
Confident in her decision, Andie posts live updates on Facebook during the surgery, but is upset by a comment made by a family relative who tells them: 'You're really going to regret it in the future.'

While some people are happy to use contraception to avoid unwanted pregnancy, others are determined to pursue a more failsafe option.
Genderqueer sex worker Andie doesn't want children and reveals her decision to be sterilised in a new BBC Three documentary,  which explores the ethics around having the drastic operation.
'I feel like I don't want children, I don't want the mental health problems to be passed on. The work that I do, I don't want to accidentally fall pregnant,' Andie explains in Sterilise Me.
Confident in her decision, Andie posts live updates on Facebook during the surgery, but is upset by a comment made by a family relative who tells them: 'You're really going to regret it in the future.'

Genderqueer Sex Worker Chooses Sterilzation

Brokie Gathering -  2017

http://ultimatebrokebackforum.com/index.php?topic=49254.0

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 08:30:00 PM »

Tuesday, March 7th, 2017

Great news, everyone! Counting For Thunder will be released on DVD and VOD on May 2nd! Stay tuned for more specifics. In the meantime, Wolfe has uploaded the official trailer on YouTube. Spread the word! As always your continued support means the world to all of us!

The Counting For Thunder Team:  Phillip Irwin Cooper,  Jason Howard,  Amity Janow,  Paul Hardister,  Ellen Raff,  Kurt Donaldson, Donna Ekholdt,  Marsha Oglesby,  Randy Harrison

Was "Moonlight's" Win an Antidote for Brokeback's Snub?

When Moonlight won the best picture prize at the dramatic finale of yesterday’s Academy Awards ceremony, it also became the first LGBT film to garner the top honour in the awards’ 89-year history. But that, as many longtime film lovers would tell you, is only because Brokeback Mountain did not win it in 2006 in one of the greatest upsets in Oscars history.

Ang Lee’s trail-blazing cowboy romance was beaten to the prize by Crash – not the cult thriller directed by David Cronenberg, by the way, but Paul Haggis’ divisive attempt to make an ensemble piece out of racial stereotyping and what some would more curtly describe as “white guilt”. Over the years, Crash has been cited as one of the least deserving Oscar winners.

Indeed, in a poll of hundreds of Academy members that the trade publication The Hollywood Reporter conducted in 2015, Brokeback Mountain came out on top of Crash (and that year’s other nominees, Munich, Good Night and Good Luck, and Capote) when they were asked hypothetically to recast their votes for the 2006 best picture Oscar. It was apparently easier to tackle homophobia when history was not actually in your hands.

Was "Moonlight's" Win an Antidote for Brokeback's Snub?

Raffle Leads to M/M Kiss for Canadian Navy

Master Seaman Francis Legare made Canadian Navy history this week when the HMCS Winnipeg docked in Victoria and he greeted his partner Corey Vautour.  The couple embraced and kissed in what was the “first kiss” between a male sailor returning from sea and his male partner.

It’s a time-honoured Navy tradition that there’s a raffle to decide which sailor is allowed off a ship first to kiss a loved one after an extended time at sea, acting sub-lieutenant Kyle Reed said.  This time, Legare won the draw and the right to kiss Vautour after spending almost nine months away from home.

“It’s the first same sex kiss for males, but it’s not the first same sex kiss ever."  There was a same sex kiss in the spring of 2015 between a female member of the Navy and her female partner at CFB Esquimalt, Reed said.

“It’s a very positive thing,” said Reed, who added that the encounter showcases a “more inclusive, more tolerant” Navy.

Raffle Leads to M/M Kiss for Canadian Navy

The 5 Signs You’re Actually Bisexual

I need everyone to quiet down for a second. Yes, this is a real bisexual talking to you right now. Don’t make any sudden movements because, if you do, you might scare me away. Then, society won’t believe you when you try to tell them bisexual people actually exist, and one was just talking to you. Hahahaha I’m just kidding. (No, I’m not.) In all seriousness, no matter how often mainstream media tries to ignore (and even reject) the existence of bisexuals, we’re real and we’re out here, probably dreaming about both a young Justin Trudeau and Kate McKinnon and how we want to fuck both of them a lot.

But for some of us, it’s taken a while to get to the point of actually KNOWING we’re bisexual. Why? Well, to put it bluntly, sexuality is literally so weird. But luckily for us, some deeper introspection combined with a nice stranger on the internet potentially connecting some dots can make figuring out sexualities a bit more manageable.

The 5 Signs You’re Actually Bisexual

A Retirement Home for Lesbians?

When I used to live on the Northumberland coast, there was a game I played with visiting lesbian friends. On our walks and drives around the countryside, we’d identify houses we thought would make perfect lesbian retirement homes. “No, that’s too exposed to the weather,” one would argue. “It’s in the middle of nowhere, you’d never get the staff,” said another. “The driveway’s too steep, we’d all break our hips in the winter,” a third objected.

But there was one thing we all agreed on. We really liked the idea of a community of lesbians growing old together more or less disgracefully. It may be a hangover from the ideas of communal living that gained a degree of traction in the 60s and 70s, often triggered by the political commitments of feminism and gay rights. But it’s one that retains a lot of appeal as we age.

Although attitudes towards sexuality have shifted radically in recent years, there are still significant levels of homophobia and transphobia around. Manchester city council, which is planning the country’s first local authority retirement community with a majority of LGBT residents, reports that elderly gay people fear hostility and discrimination from those charged with taking care of them. So they often hide their sexuality.

A Retirement Home for Lesbians?

Trio of Non-Binary Gender Changes Granted in SF

A trio of San Franciscans have changed their gender to non-binary, becoming the first in the city to do so.  The three people's petitions, which were filed in December, were granted February 16 without hearings.

David Strachan, 69, said he made the change because he has "an intersex condition," and both his "sexual body" and his gender are neither male nor female.  "I have a non-binary DNA makeup, and it just makes sense to have a non-binary gender on top of it," said Strachan, who identifies as "a non-binary, intersex person who's in a relationship with a man."

Strachan added, "I'm almost 70, and to finally legally be able to do this is a joy for me. It leads the way to younger people being able to do it."  He also noted someone doesn't have to be intersex or transgender "to have a non-binary gender identity."

In an email to the Bay Area Reporter, San Francisco Superior Court spokeswoman Ann Donlan said that Judge Joseph M. Quinn, who granted the petitions, "made his decisions based on the facts and the law as he understood them at the time. ... He is encouraged by [California Senate Bill 179] which, if passed and signed, would make it easier to secure orders granting non-binary status. While obstacles – bureaucratic and otherwise – may remain, the new law could ease the path forward."

Trio of Non-Binary Gender Changes Granted in SF

Prince William and The Straight Ally Award

We don’t know what the Queen is thinking of all this, but one has to admit that the sons of Princess Diana are great allies of the LGBT community.  Last year, Prince William appeared on the cover of UK gay mag Attitude, a first for a member of the royal family.

Now Prince William is part of a short list for the Straight Ally Award, a prize that recognizes those who work with the LGBT community in order to advance the community’s rights.  In his category, Prince William is facing off with singers Annie Lennox, Ariana Grande and Macklemore; actors Emma Watson, Anne Hathaway and Patrick Stewart; TV host James Corden; former footballer Thierry Henry; and author JK Rowling.

Other categories of the awards include “Media Moments,” “LGBT+ Celebrity Rising Stars,” “Best Destinations,” “Broadcasters or Journalists” and “Top Charities or Community Initiatives.”ftp://

Prince William and The Straight Ally Award

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 09:38:03 PM »

Tuesday, March 14th, 2017

Is "West of Eden" New Zealand's "Brokeback Mountain"?

New film “West of Eden”, screened at the Auckland Pride Festival last month, tells the love story of a gay couple in 1960s rural New Zealand.  In the film, gay Maori man Billy (pictured, left) moves to the country to escape prejudice he faced for his sexuality.

He takes a job on a farm where he soon falls in love with Tom, the farmer’s son. But the couple find themselves at odds with their conservative surroundings, two decades before New Zealand decriminalised homosexuality.  The indie film was written and produced by Vanessa Cohen-Riddell and directed by her husband Alastair Riddell.

“One of the things we’re both really strong about is that history isn’t forgotten and there are a lot of people who still fight very long and hard for things to change,” Cohen-Riddell told the New Zealand Herald.

Is West of Eden New Zealand's Brokeback Mountain?

Decision Reversal, Outvets Can March

A South Boston veterans council, facing withering criticism, reversed course Friday and extended an unconditional invitation to the group of gay veterans it had barred from marching in the St. Patrick’s Day parade.  The move clears the way for OUTVETS, a group of LGBT veterans, to march in the March 19 parade with its rainbow banner and logo, a point of contention that the Allied War Veterans Council had cited when it voted Tuesday to reject the organization.

OUTVETS accepted the invitation Friday night. “We look forward to marching proudly on March 19 and honoring the service and sacrifice of those brave men and women who have sacrificed for our country,’’ the group said in a statement.  The war veterans council on Friday night agreed, by a vote of 11 to 0, to invite OUTVETS to the parade with no restrictions on the display of the rainbow flag, according to US Representative Stephen Lynch.

Decision Reversal, Outvets Can March

3 Experts 'On Maintaining Bisexual Health'

In some ways, maintaining sexual health as a bisexual is just like maintaining sexual health as someone with any other sexual orientation.  For example, Denarii Monroe of the Bisexual Resource Center says, “Staying sexually healthy for me personally means making sure that I’m getting regular STI and HIV checkups, preferably before starting a new sexual relationship with someone.”

“In terms of tips for the happy, healthy bisexual, my number 1 tip for sexual health is to maintain [it] by getting those exams,” says Amy Andre, who works with the Bisexual Research Collaboration on Health at The Fenway Institute in Boston. She argues that routine screenings and preventative medicine are essential for long-term health.

“Unfortunately,” Andre acknowledges, “studies show that compared to women of other orientations, women who identify as bisexual are less likely to get cancer screenings like Pap smears and mammograms.”  It’s one of the many health disparities between bisexual women and men versus their non-bi counterparts.

3 Experts On Maintaining Bisexual Health

Lesbians 'Told They Did Not Need Cervical Screening'

Women who have sex with women are often wrongly told they do not need a cervical screening test, say LGBT groups.  This results in half of all eligible lesbian and bisexual women never having had a smear test, they said.  The human papilloma virus (HPV), which causes most cervical cancers, can be transmitted through lesbian sex.

Cervical cancer charities say all women, no matter their orientation, should have regular cervical screening.  Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) groups say women regularly face barriers to accessing healthcare and can have poor experiences when they do.  For example, in a survey of lesbian, bisexual and other women who have sex with women, 36% said a doctor or nurse had assumed they were heterosexual.

Lesbians 'Told They Did Not Need Cervical Screening'

A Conversation with David Strachan

When I was 13 I didn’t develop like other boys. I was raised a boy. My body didn’t develop, and my mother wanted to look at my genitals. She was concerned. I was taken to the family doctor. The doctor took a look at me, poked and prodded—mind you this was in 1960, so they didn’t have as much knowledge about sex chromosomes—and he didn’t do any tests or anything. He said, “don’t worry, Mrs. Strachan. Your son will grow up normal and you’ll be able to have grandchildren.” That’s what they told my mother.

When I was in Thailand in my 20’s, I was engaged to be married to a woman. She was having trouble with birth control. I remembered my sophomore biology textbook, which said “giants are usually sterile.” Well, no one’s ever called me a giant, but I’m always the tallest person everywhere I go. I went and had a semen analysis in Thailand, and it came back that I didn’t have any sperm. I thought, “Well, I guess I am a giant!”

When I had health insurance and was living in San Jose, CA I went to Kaiser Hospital’s infertility clinic.  They told me that I had Klinefelter’s Syndrome and XXY sex chromosomes. I was sterile. They offered me testicular implants and breast reduction surgery, and I said, “no way.”

A Conversation with David Strachan

Support For LGBTQ People In Trump's America

President Trump has been in office for a few weeks and already, anxiety is building about an executive order coming down which would roll back LGBTQ+ rights. It has many allies wondering how to show support for LGBTQ people in Trump's America, and there is reason to be hopeful. Given the heavy organizing that took place following an executive order to ban immigrants from seven majority-Muslim countries in the Middle East, which was temporarily blocked last week so the courts can address the merits of the policy, the Trump administration wisely chose to back off the anti-LGBTQ+ order, for now.

Unwisely, however, it released a bizarre statement announcing that the protections enacted by President Obama on behalf of LGBTQ+ federal employees would remain in place, apparently expecting praise for...literally just keeping everything the same? Many allies knew better than to fall for it, but the question of how to mobilize for support remains.

Support For LGBTQ People In Trump's America

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: KillersMom, CellarDweller115, FritzKep, Brian

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 09:50:26 PM by killersmom »
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 03:44:53 PM »

Tuesday, March 21st, 2017

Michelle Williams and Busy Philipps

Campy teen dramas have given us so much. It’s been nearly two decades since two up-and-coming teen stars met on Dawson’s Creek, and Michelle Williams and Busy Philipps have become one of Hollywood’s closest friendships ever since. When Philipps was added as a series regular and met Williams, the two became inseparable. Through hard times (Heath Ledger’s death), good times (post–Golden Globes pasta!) and every red carpet imaginable, Williams and Philipps can often be found side by side. “I’m so in love with her,” Williams told People in December. “She’s proof that the love of your life does not have to be a man! That’s the love of my life right there.” So now, a history of one of Hollywood’s best friend couples:

1998: Michelle Williams stars as Jen Lindley on Dawson’s Creek, the WB’s teen drama that will go on for six seasons.

2001: Fresh from a main role on Freaks and Geeks, Busy Philipps joins Dawson’s as recurring character Audrey Liddell during the show’s fifth season.

Michelle Williams and Busy Philipps

Beauty & the Beast - Anti-gay Backlash

Disney’s live-action “Beauty” was a beast at the box office, opening with an estimated $170 million in North American ticket sales and setting a new high mark for family movies.

“Beauty and the Beast” blew past the previous record-holder for G- or PG-rated releases, according to studio estimates Sunday. Last year, Disney’s “Finding Dory” debuted with a then-PG-best $135 million.  “Beauty and the Beast” felled many other records, too. It’s the year’s top opening so far and a new best for March releases, and it ranks seventh all-time, not accounting for inflation.

The film, made for about $160 million, is the latest effort by Disney to re-create one of its animated classics with live action and digital effects.

Beauty & the Beast - Anti-gay Backlash

Bisexual Wrestler Comes Out

Coming out isn't easy, but coming out in a hyper-masculine sport can be downright monumental — and, of course, scary.  So when professional wrestler Anthony Bowens filmed a goofy video for YouTube with his boyfriend, he was understandably worried about his wrestling friends stumbling upon it, but he decided to let his boyfriend post it anyway.

"Weeks later, I received a text that made my stomach drop," he wrote about the video in a personal essay on Outsports.com.  "It was from my best friend in the wrestling business, and someone I specifically made sure to keep my secret from. The text read: 'Bro, why didn’t you tell me?' I knew exactly what he meant but I played dumb. 'What do you mean?' I replied. He response was that he saw 'the video.'"

He was relieved to hear that his friend had no problem knowing that Bowens is attracted to men, and that several other wrestling friends saw the video and felt the same way.

Bisexual Wrestler Comes Out

Katy Perry Prays Away The Gay

Katy Perry has opened up about her sexuality and experimentation as a young woman growing up in a religious family.  The singer, who stormed the charts - and courted some controversy - with her single, I Kissed a Girl back in 2008, accepted the National Equality Award at the 2017 Human Rights Commission Gala in LA over the weekend and was candid in her acceptance speech about "kissing girls".

"Truth be told, I did more than that!" she said as she accepted her award.  "But how was I going to reconcile that with the gospel-singing girl raised in youth groups that were pro conversion camps?"  "What I did know was that I was curious, and even then I knew that sexuality was not as black and white as this dress."

Katy Perry Prays Away The Gay

India’s Newest Sexual Minority

Twenty-nine-year-old Grace Singh’s bio on Tinder states that she’s a ‘demisexual’ (someone who doesn’t experience sexual attraction unless she forms a strong emotional connect), which is a bit of an anomaly for a dating app that’s famous for facilitating hook-ups.

“Surprisingly, I’ve met some great people who understood me, while there were others who asked what the term meant. I don’t hesitate before explaining. I own my sexuality completely,” says the Delhi-based healthcare professional, who started a Facebook page called Indian Aces in 2014.

Singh has recently returned from a trip to Bangalore where she was awarded the Orange Flower award from Women’s Web for building the online platform for the Indian asexual community.

India’s Newest Sexual Minority

Straight Allies Support LGBTQ+ Students

In an unprecedented step to help mitigate the inhibitions of the LGBTQ+ community in Manipal, Article 19, the School of Communication’s media fest had organised the town’s first ever Pride Support Ally March on February 5.  Carrying the characteristic rainbow flag, around 50 students set a carnival-like mood for the march beginning in the SOC premises, before clamouring through the Kasturba Medical College’s campus. The banter was then suspended for a few minutes as the group made its way through the KMC Hospital Road before resuming in full-volume, outside the Manipal Institute of Technology campus.

The students, bellowing and chanting supportive slogans and songs, marched a full circle by returning to the starting point at SOC, where members of the LGBTQ+ community in Manipal announced the launch of the Queer and Ally Network.

The catch lies in the fact that this was an ally march, organised by supporters of LGBTQ+ rights, whose sexual orientation haven’t been disclosed. In comparison, Pride marches mostly see members of the LGBTQ+ community themselves take part. While there have been around 20 Pride marches in India, this was a Campus Ally March, orchestrated and executed majorly by a group of allies from the University, in a show of heart-warming support for the LGBTQ+ community.

Straight Allies Support LGBTQ+ Students

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 06:02:52 PM »

Tuesday, March 28th, 2017

Rodrigo Prieto Teams With ‘La La Land’ Producer For Directorial Debut ‘Bastard’

Rodrigo Prieto, the esteemed cinematographer who has worked on films such as Martin Scorcese’s Silence and Ang Lee’s Brokeback Mountain, is set to make his directorial debut with revenge thriller Bastard. La La Land’s Jordan Horowitz is set to produce via his Original Headquarters banner while Scorsese and Emma Tillinger Koskoff are exec producing.

Topic, First Look Media’s entertainment studio, is financing and the company’s Adam Pincus and Annie Marter are both overseeing production of the pic, which is slated to begin in the first quarter of 2018.

Based on an original script penned by Bill Gullo, Bastard is a taut revenge thriller with a riveting antagonist at its core, set against a looming flood that will ravage the small town of Bird’s Point, Missouri.

“It’s an honor to get to get to make this picture alongside my terrific partners at Topic and First Look Media,” said Horowitz. “Rodrigo’s work as a cinematographer has consistently floored me, and putting him behind the camera to direct Bill’s absorbing script has all the ingredients for truly thrilling cinema.”

Rodrigo Prieto Teams With ‘La La Land’ Producer For Directorial Debut ‘Bastard’

Gay Rodeo Cowboy Getting Death Threats

Josh Goyne, an openly gay rodeo cowboy, is going viral in a video he recorded in February in which he stands up to homophobic intimidation and death threats.  Says Goyne in the video:

Today I was attacked for being an openly gay cowboy. They think they’re gonna silence me but there’s no chance in hell. They think they’re gonna stop me from riding in this weekend’s rodeo. Not a chance in hell. I will proudly stand up to any homophobe and say right to their face that I’m a proud openly gay cowboy.It doesn’t make you any less of a person – nor be it, a cowboy.

Rural Australia has a terrible problem with homophobia and it needs to stop.

The fact that I am getting death threats just from going to a rodeo is disgusting and these people are the scum of the Earth. I have zero respect for them and I hope they get their comeuppance.

Gay Rodeo Cowboy Getting Homophobic Death Threats

Bisexual People Still Face Stigma

Whenever I do a presentation on the bisexual community, one of the first statistics I mention is that numerous studies on the LGBTQ community — from the Kinsey report to contemporary surveys — suggest that between 40 to 50 percent of the LGBTQ community identifies as bisexual.  That means there are about the same number of bisexual people as there are gay men and lesbians combined.

When I mention these stats, the response from LGBTQ and non-LGBTQ people alike is one of surprise and even disbelief — “But I know so many more gay and lesbian people than bisexual people.” Some even ask me what bisexual people have to complain about, since we can “choose” to pass as straight.

Just to reiterate — about half of the entire LGBTQ community identifies as bisexual, queer, pansexual, fluid, or otherwise non-monosexual (bi+). Yet, even as a bi+ community advocate, I struggle to name a few openly bi+ people in leadership positions in national LGBTQ organizations, in government or politics (go Kate Brown!), or in the media and popular culture.

Bisexual People Still Face Stigma

Russia Bans Kids From ‘Power Rangers’

In Russia, the Power Rangers film reboot of the cartoon TV show is not considered safe for children.  The Russian distributor recently notified movie theaters that the film’s rating was being bumped from 16+ to 18+. While no reason was given for the change, some are speculating that the move comes in response to recent news coverage about the film’s lesbian character, Variety reports. In the United States, the film has a PG-13 rating.

“For Trini, really she’s questioning a lot about who she is,” director Dean Israelite told The Hollywood Reporter. “She hasn’t fully figured it out yet. I think what’s great about that scene and what that scene propels for the rest of the movie is, ‘That’s OK.’ The movie is saying, ‘That’s OK,’ and all of the kids have to own who they are and find their tribe.”

In the film, another character asks Trini (the yelllow ranger) if she’s having “girlfriend problems.”

On Thursday, Russian lawmaker Vitaly Milonov, who authored Russia’s law opposing “gay propaganda,” called for the film to be banned on conservative television network Tsargrad.

Russia Bans Kids From ‘Power Rangers’

As A Genderqueer Person, I Believe Visibility Is Our Greatest Weapon

Soon after the Trump administration rescinded the transgender bathroom protections for students established during Obama's presidency, comedian Rhea Butcher shared a bathroom story of her own on Twitter. As a five-year-old child, Butcher, who uses she/her pronouns and identifies as "a person on the non-binary spectrum," was yelled at for being in a public women's restroom. She decided to share this story to add her own voice to the fact that, as she put it in a tweet, "The bathroom fight is about much more than peeing. It's about the right to exist. To be."

Now, Butcher explains her decision to speak out, why she's still hopeful about the future of LGBTQ rights, and what she thinks allies can do — and not do — to support the trans and genderqueer communities, as told to Bustle Associate Entertainment Editor Lia Beck.

As A Genderqueer Person, I Believe Visibility Is Our Greatest Weapon

George Weinberg dies at 87

George Weinberg, a psychotherapist, author of the 1972 book “Society and the Healthy Homosexual,” and a highly acclaimed straight ally in the LGBT rights movement, died March 20 in Manhattan of cancer. He was 87.  Weinberg, who held a doctorate degree in clinical psychology from Columbia University, has been credited with playing a key role in changing public attitudes about homosexuality and gay people by debunking prevailing views in the 1960s and 1970s that homosexuality was a mental illness.

“He coined the word ‘homophobia’ in his 1972 book, ‘Society and the Healthy Homosexual,’ to propose that those who harbor prejudice against gay people and not gay people themselves are suffering from a psychological malady, an irrational state of mind,” an official biography posted on his website says.

In the book he says one of his longstanding goals as a psychotherapist was to help homosexuals as well as non-homosexuals overcome homophobia..

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 04:01:14 PM »

Tuesday, April 4th, 2017

Gilbert Baker, Creator of the Rainbow Flag, Has Died at 65

Gilbert Baker, creator of the first gay pride rainbow flag,  has died at age 65.  Baker created the flag for the 1978 Pride march in San Francisco, known then as the San Francisco Gay Freedom Day Parade.  Activist Cleve Jones posted the sad news to Facebook, writing: “I am heartbroken. My dearest friend in the world is gone. Gilbert gave the world the Rainbow Flag; he gave me forty years of love and friendship. I can’t stop crying. I love you forever Gilbert Baker.”

Jones later tweeted that there will be a gathering under the rainbow flag at Castro and Market Streets in San Francisco at 7 pm tonight.

Baker, born in Kansas 1951, served in the US Army 1970-1972, which stationed him in San Francisco just at the start of the gay liberation movement. His soldier’s story is told in Randy Shilts book “Conduct Unbecoming”. After being honorably discharged Baker stayed in San Francisco and taught himself to sew.  It was this skill that he put to use making banners for gay and anti-war street protest marches, often at a moments notice, at the behest of his friend Harvey Milk- later elected to office and assassinated Nov 27, 1978.

Milk rode triumphantly under the first Rainbow Flags Baker made at their debut on June 25th 1978, for the San Francisco Gay Freedom Day Parade.

Gilbert Baker, Creator of the Rainbow Flag, Has Died at 65

Bro Comedies Making Fun of Gay Men

One of the perks of directing your own movie is that you get to give yourself all the best close-ups. “CHiPs,” a big-screen adaptation of the confoundingly popular ’80s TV show starring Erik Estrada, is brought to you by Dax Shepard, an actor whose most interesting feature is a perpetually clueless expression. In the opening scenes of his third directorial feature, his character, aspiring California Highway Patrolman John Baker, is lying in bed shirtless. The shot shows off his casually ripped abs. John may be a pill-popping idiot, but “CHiPs” would like you to know he’s a sexy pill-popping idiot.

John is also heterosexual. Given the immense progress our society has made in recent years around LGBT acceptance, this might appear an incidental plot point, but “CHiPs” is firm on this subject.

Officer Baker signs up for law enforcement to win back his way-too-hot-for-him wife (Kristen Bell, wasted here) who has moved on to far greener pastures (a mustachioed Josh Duhamel). John repeatedly reminds everyone around him — and, ipso facto, the audience — that he intends to mend fences with his lady love. This puts him at odds with a fellow officer, Frank “Ponch” Poncherello (Michael Peña), an FBI agent assigned to investigate an undercover case. Ponch has sleuthing to do and doesn’t have time to play meter maid to all of Southern California. When the men meet for the first time, John attempts to give his new partner a hug in the locker room but is rebuffed. Real men put their shirts on first.

Bro Comedies Making Fun of Gay Men

Seven Must-Have Resources on Bisexual Health

As we wrap up Bisexual Health Awareness Month, it’s important to remember that the work for bisexual inclusion happens year-round. HRC is proud to have joined with organizations across the country to uplift the experiences of the bisexual community.

#StillBisexual is an ongoing social media campaign to celebrate bisexual stories. #StillBisexual that aims to dispel the pervasive myth that bisexuality is ‘just a phase’ and other biphobic stereotypes through the sharing of these stories around the world. Their mission is “to tell as many bisexuals’ personal stories as possible to change the cultural conversation around bisexuality and help create a better and more accepting world for current and future generations of bisexuals.”

Click the link below to check out these great resources for continuing the work of building social support and resiliency for the bisexual community.

Seven Must-Have Resources on Bisexual Health

LGBT Rights March Planned in Berea After Vandalism at Lesbian Couple's Home

Bereans for Fairness and the Madison County chapter of Kentuckians for the Commonwealth are leading the march, scheduled to begin Monday at five p.m. at Union Church.

David Shroyer with Bereans for fairness said the group hopes to bring attention to the need for a fairness ordinance in the town. About two and a half years ago, city leaders considered passing one.

That vote failed, but the people who pushed for it haven't given up.  Recent events have only increased their efforts.  Last week, a lesbian couple woke to find their home had been the target of vandals.  “Their cars were spray-painted,” Shroyer said. “Their house was spray-painted with hate messages.”

LGBT Rights March Planned in Berea After Vandalism at Lesbian Couple's Home

Born this way: Intersex author Hida Viloria

As legislatures around the United States debate the use of public restrooms by transgendered people, there is a population with a vested interest that is usually left out of the conversation: intersex people — those born with male and female sex traits. Though policies are slowly beginning to change on this front, there is no official intersex-gender designation in the U.S., so babies are declared male or female at birth according to their most defining external sexual characteristics.

Medical protocol since the middle part of the 20th century has been to operate on newborns in order to “normalize” their genitalia if it is considered too ambiguous to assign a gender. Intersex activists refer to the surgery as infant genital mutilation, or IGM, and consider it a devastation that does not help most intersex people adapt to a binary gender in the long run.

Born this way: Intersex author Hida Viloria

George Weinberg, a psychotherapist, author of the 1972 book “Society and the Healthy Homosexual,” and a highly acclaimed straight ally in the LGBT rights movement, died March 20 in Manhattan of cancer. He was 87.  Weinberg, who held a doctorate degree in clinical psychology from Columbia University, has been credited with playing a key role in changing public attitudes about homosexuality and gay people by debunking prevailing views in the 1960s and 1970s that homosexuality was a mental illness.

“He coined the word ‘homophobia’ in his 1972 book, ‘Society and the Healthy Homosexual,’ to propose that those who harbor prejudice against gay people and not gay people themselves are suffering from a psychological malady, an irrational state of mind,” an official biography posted on his website says.

In the book he says one of his longstanding goals as a psychotherapist was to help homosexuals as well as non-homosexuals overcome homophobia..

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 07:32:03 PM »

Tuesday, April 11th, 2017

I Am Heath Ledger

A trailer has been released based on the life of late Brokeback Mountain star Heath Ledger.  Ledger, who is remembered for his Oscar-nominated, era-defining role in Brokeback Mountain, passed away in 2008 aged 28, from cardiac arrest brought on by prescription drug intoxication.

I Am Heath Ledger, which will premiere later this month at Tribeca Film Festival, features rare behind-the-scenes home video filmed by the late actor, as well as tributes from his friends, family and former collaborators.  A trailer for the film debuted today.

It revealed contributions from the director of Brokeback Mountain, Ang Lee.  Lee said: “Even as a supporting actor, he will steal the whole show. That’s the power of Heath Ledger.”
Australian actor Ben Mendelsohn also pays tribute to Heath Ledger’s Brokeback Mountain role.  He said: “Before Brokeback Mountain came out it would have been unthinkable to have a romantic tragedy involving two gay cowboys.  This is one of the biggest heartthrobs on earth taking on that character. That’s an artist.”

I Am Heath Ledger

Dutch Men Across the World Hold Hands

In a simple act of solidarity, Dutch men across the Netherlands and around the world have held hands this week to protest the beating of two gay men. The attack has shaken a nation that has long prided itself on its tolerance.  The beating happened early Sunday morning in the eastern city of Arnhem — long seen as one of the world’s most welcoming places for same-sex couples. The city’s mayor conducted the world’s first gay marriages in 2001.

Arnhem police said on Facebook that the couple stated they were verbally abused by a group of young people armed with bolt cutters because they were walking hand-in-hand over a bridge. In the confrontation that followed, both men were injured, and one had his front teeth smashed out.

The couple, Jasper Vernes-Sewratan and Ronnie Sewratan-Vernes, posted their own account of the attack on social media.  In response to the incident, a Dutch journalist called for support for the couple on Twitter, writing: “Can all men (straight and gay) please just walk hand in hand this week.” Her idea spaked the viral hashtag #allemannenhandinhand, or “all men hand in hand.”

Dutch Men Across the World Hold Hands

Examining the Issue of Bisexual Visibility

According to the San Francisco Human Rights Commission’s 2011 report Bisexual Invisibility: Impacts and Recommendations, bisexual individuals represent the single largest portion of the LGBTQ community.  Although bisexuals make up so much of the LGBTQ community, bi people still remain one of the most under-represented groups in media and culture.

In one of his latest videos, bisexual YouTuber RJ Aguiar examines this lack of bi representation. He even takes on Dustin Lance Black and the recent TV mini-series When We Rise.

“Bi representation is a tricky thing. First of all, it’s hard enough to even find bisexual people in movies, TV, books, music, and so on. We’re the single largest portion of the LGBTQ+ community, but one of the most underrepresented in media. But that’s just where the problems begin, because it can sometimes even be unclear as to what constitutes bisexual representation. Case and point: When We Rise. It’s a wonderful series that chronicles moments throughout the LGBT Rights movement. The series creator, Dustin Lance Black, claims he included bi people in the series, but many members of the Bisexual community beg to differ. So who is right?"

Examining the Issue of Bisexual Visibility

These Lesbians are Challenging the 'Butch' Stereotype

There are so many harmful lesbian stereotypes, and in particular those surrounding 'butch' lesbian women. That's why these awesome women who self-identify as butch are speaking about their relationship and sex roles, they want to break down those tired old stereotypes.

Pink News shared Arielle Scarcella’s YouTube video, which aimed to challenge the misconception that masculinity always means dominance in the bedroom, and in relationships.

Explaining what most people imagine butch lesbians enjoy sex-wise, one woman said, "I think people think butch lesbians are always the more dominant partner in the bedroom. They always assume we like to put on strap-ons or we only like to do the penetrating and not receive."

Another woman, who identifies as a soft butch who is in touch with both her masculine and feminine sides said people assume butches are always "on top", "in control" and "the aggressor." She added, "Most people view butches as the giver and never the receiver, I don’t think that’s true."

These Lesbians are Challenging the 'Butch' Stereotype

The Need For Asexual & Aromantic Heroes

Queer representation in comics has been making small but appreciable advances in recent years, but there are some queer identities that comics and all media seem to struggle to get to grips with. Asexuals — people who do not experience sexual attraction  — and aromantics — people who do not experience romantic attraction — are still incredibly rarely represented in fiction, with Archie Comics’ Jughead one of the few notable examples.

ComicsAlliance spoke to four comics fans and creators who are asexual, aromantic, or on the asexual spectrum, to get their thoughts on representation in comics, Jughead, Riverdale, and the best comics out there for young ace/aro readers.

Our panelists are colorist Sigi Ironmonger, who is a grey-asexual nonbinary trans-man; webcomic creator Sarah “Neila” Elkins, who is a romantic asexual; webcomic creator Jayelle Anderson, who is demisexual; and literature student LuciAce, who is aroace.

The Need For Asexual & Aromantic Heroes

Our Name Has Changed

The Upper Delaware GLBT Center is pleased to announce its new name: TriVersity — Center for Gender and Sexual Diversity. The center has changed its name but not its mission. A name helps to define an organization and the new name clearly plays a role in establishing the value of the center to all people based on sexual and gender diversity as well as to straight allies. The new name helps place clear emphasis on its vision to serve all no matter how they identify. As both sexuality and gender fall on a spectrum, many people do not identify with the LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer/Questioning) tag. "TriVersity" puts us at the forefront of a change that is happening rapidly and indicates to all that the center is a safe and welcoming space for all.

One factor for the name change is closing a perception gap that the center is here to provide services and events only to the Upper Delaware area in Pike County when it actually attracts and works with individuals in the tristate area. Also many see the center as only events. This will be a way to rebrand services provided to the community.

Our Name Has Changed

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 10:56:35 PM »

Tuesday, April 25th, 2017

From Rocky Horror To Brokeback Mountain

The best queer movies of all time.

Hollywood is an important factor in helping the world to understand and accept the varied identities and relationships within the LGBT community. Whether they do it with comedy or shocking drama, it makes an impact on the world and helps diversify cinema on large scale.

Over the years there have been many LGBT themed movies that have had an impact on society.  While this list is not the "definitive 10" I believe it's a list of 10 LGBT movies you should see before you die.

Click the link below to see if you agree!

From Rocky Horror To Brokeback Mountain

Gay Men Tell CNN About “Horrific” Torture At Chechnya’s Concentration Camps

“My car got stopped at a Chechen police checkpoint and they asked me for my documents,” the man known as “Ahmed” told CNN’s Matthew Chance in a new interview detailing the torture happening to gay men in Chechnya.

“They looked at them and said: ’We are taking you.'”  Ahmed is one of the two men interviewed who have escaped Chechyna’s concentration camps for men suspected of being homosexuals.

Heda Saratova, the head of in Chechnya’s Human Rights Council, has dismissed the claims that hundreds of gay men have been detained but now the men who suffered the brutal attacks are speaking out.

“They started beating me with their fists and feet,” described another man in CNN’s interview. “They wanted to get names of my gay friends from me.”

Gay Men Tell CNN About “Horrific” Torture At Chechnya’s Concentration Camps

Aaron Hernandez's Secret Bisexual Life

The secret bisexuality of Aaron Hernandez emerged Friday as a possible motive for murder as the family of the disgraced ex-Patriots star won a court battle to preserve evidence in his prison suicide.
 The 27-year-old former NFLer, the father of a 4-year-old daughter, was a bisexual who penned a suicide note to his prison boyfriend before hanging himself in a Massachusetts’ jail cell earlier this week, Newsweek reported.

In another jolting revelation, the magazine also reported that Hernandez was locked up because of a murder that may have been motivated by a desire to keep his sexuality a secret.

Hernandez’s sexual ambiguity was known to his pal Odin Lloyd, who was dating the sister of the football star’s fianceé, multiple law enforcement sources told Newsweek.  The 6-foot-1, 245-pound Hernandez may have murdered Lloyd to ensure that he wouldn’t be outed to his bride-to-be, the magazine said.

Aaron Hernandez's Secret Bisexual Life

Gang of 15 Men Attacked Lesbians on Night Out

A WOMAN lost seven teeth after she and four lesbian friends were reportedly brutally attacked by more than 15 men in a homophobic attack.  One of the women was left covered in blood in the apparent hate crime, which saw the men pounce on the group while they were on a night out in Portsmouth.

The women, speaking to Portsmouth’s The News, said they had left the Blue Anchor pub on Kingston Road last Sunday, with the happy group singing “I’m in the Mood for Dancing” before the nearby group of men started to shout homophobic abuse.

They said the men then started beating one of the women, turning on her friends as they desperately tried to help.  A sister of one of the women said that she had begged for the men to stop, saying: “It was horrendous. I’ve never seen anything like it. I’ve had nightmares.”

Gang of 15 Men Attacked Lesbians on Night Out

Coming Out as Genderqueer at Work

The first time I came out as genderqueer at work, I made a snap decision on my first day of a new job.

I was feeling bold, partly because, at the time, Bill C-16, a new federal bill to protect trans people from discrimination based on gender identity and expression, had recently been  introduced in the House of Commons. While the bill, which is still inching its way through Senate hearings nearly a year later, does not specify details around pronoun use, the Ontario Human Rights Commission states that misgendering is a form of discrimination, especially in social areas including school, housing and work.

I was just beginning to come out as genderqueer (a gender identity that acts as an umbrella term for genders that exist outside of the male-female binary) to my friends, so it seemed like as good of a time as any to come out at work and assert my pronouns (they/them). Hearing people address me with she/her pronouns is frustrating, since femininity describes only part of my gender identity, not all of it.  I was ready to be recognized by my coworkers as my true self. 

On my first day on the job, the human resources manager and the office manager gave me a formal hiring run-through which included an office tour and introductions to my coworkers. Not wanting to have to go through the introductory process hearing incorrect pronouns as a closeted genderqueer, I decided in, a split second, to come out to the two managers, who would be leading my introductions.

Coming Out as Genderqueer at Work

Rally Shows Allies of Oshkosh LGBTQ Community

The UW-Oshkosh LGBTQ Resource Center hosted a march, saying it not only wanted to celebrate the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual and questioning community but also recognize their allies.
They said straight allies are a cornerstone of the community and wanted to thank them for their support.

"Especially the ones who see 'ally' not as a noun but as a verb," the resource center's Liz Cannon said, "and so this is just something that's fun, but in their everyday lives they are stepping out and doing very positive things to support the community itself."

The resource center says it hopes to make schools, the community and the world safer and more accepting of diversity.

Rally Shows Allies of Oshkosh LGBTQ Community

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard