The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet May - August 2017  (Read 1499 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: The Daily Sheet May - August 2017
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2017, 07:24:59 PM »

Tuesday, September 5th, 2017

Ang Lee to Keynote Light and Sound Interactive Event

Ang Lee, the two-time Oscar Award-winning director of Life of Pi and Brokeback Mountain, will be a major keynote presenter for the upcoming Light and Sound Interactive (LSI) event, organizers announced today.

Lee, who will present at 7 p.m. Sept. 12, will be joined by Oscar-nominated film editor Tim Squyres and technical supervisor Ben Gervais. Together, they will present scenes from Lee’s groundbreaking 3D, 120 frame-per-second (fps) feature film, Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk. They will discuss the reasons for shooting in this format and the challenges that came with it.

Ang Lee to Keynote Light and Sound Interactive Event

Six Openly Gay College Football Players Hit The Field

The 2017 college football season kicks into high gear this weekend with teams all over the country playing. Among the thousands of players will be a record six on rosters who are openly gay.

It was just a month ago that I wrote about there being a record five, but now the list is being updated after Butler’s Xavier Colvin came out on Monday.

One of the students, My-King Johnson (pictured left), had the pitch-perfect response when asked by the Pac-12 Networks’ Ashley Adamson that “people see you as a pioneer, how do you see yourself?”

“As a kid who plays football,” Johnson said. He has been out for many years and noted that “being open is not new for me, it’s just new for everybody else.”

Six Openly Gay College Football Players Hit The Field

Harvard and Yale Welcome More Bisexual Freshmen Than Ever Before

Harvard and Yale have seen an increase in the number of bisexual students in their freshmen classes.  New students moved into their new student accommodation last week.

The student-run newspapers of both Harvard and Yale surveyed the new students in August.  Harvard’s survey found the number of bisexual students is on the rise.  7.9% of the 2021 class identify as bisexual.  There has been a continuous increase in this number since 2007, when it was a mere 2.5%.  82.5% of freshman at Harvard identify as straight, meanwhile that number drops to 77.4% at Yale. 

There is also an increase in bisexual students in Yale.

Harvard and Yale Welcome More Bisexual Freshmen Than Ever Before

Lesbian Ex-Mayor Has Perfect Response To Ann Coulter

Another day, another perfect response to Ann Coulter’s nonsensical comments.

Days after the controversial right-wing media pundit said it was more “credible” to blame Hurricane Harvey’s devastation on the city’s election of a gay mayor than climate change, the official in question hit back with a succinct yet effective response:

Ann Culter:  I don't believe Hurricane Harvey is God's punishment for Houston electing a lesbian mayor. But that is more credible than "climate change."

Annise Parker:  Darn it, I thought no one knew I had a super power over weather.

Lesbian Ex-Mayor Has Perfect Response To Ann Coulter

Transgender Soldier to Sue Trump

Cathrine Schmid, a staff sergeant at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, believes it is her duty as a transgender person and soldier to speak up when she sees something that appears to be unlawful.

“If I received an unlawful order from someone over me,” Schmid said, “it would be my responsibility to step forward and say, ‘Sir or ma’am, is this really what you want me to do?’”

Last week, a federal lawsuit was filed in Washington on behalf of Schmid, 33, and others, including the Seattle-based Gender Justice League, seeking to reverse President Donald Trump’s ban on military service by transgender people.   “Unfortunately this order came from the commander-in-chief, so the only way to speak up is to have someone step up in the court system,” said Schmid, adding that she is well-positioned to show that transgender people are fit to serve.

Transgender Soldier to Sue Trump

Sarah Graham’s Solo Show ‘Angels Are Intersex’

Sarah Graham was born intersex, or as she jokes, “a woman with balls”. As a child, a gynecologist told Sarah’s parents that her ovaries were cancerous and that she had to have them removed; much later in life, she discovered, to her horror, that “those weren’t ovaries, they were testes.”

Sarah’s solo show, Angels Are Intersex, shares her personal story — from childhood to adulthood — of discovering her own gender and sexual identity. Her discovery has given her the confidence to break the norms within our gender-obsessed culture. She’s funny, painfully blunt, and trying to piece it all together. Now she laughs about it, and will make you laugh too.

Angels Are Intersex is a courageous way for Sarah to tell her story and to aid the fight to end unnecessary surgeries on babies and children. Working with her director and now partner Jessica Lynn Johnson, they created an emotionally charged work, selected to premiere at Son of Semele festival in Los Angeles, and are hoping to tour around the USA then Europe.

I know Sarah; I’ve worked with her; I’ve counseled her, and yet this was the first moment she allowed me to walk in her shoes. It was shocking because I never knew her pain.

Sarah Graham’s Solo Show ‘Angels Are Intersex’

How to Be a Straight Ally at Work

A 2014 study by the Human Rights Campaign found that 53 percent of LGBT individuals remain closeted at work. According to Audrey Gallien, Director of Marketing for Catalyst, a workplace inclusion advocacy organization, even when businesses attempt to provide an inclusive environment, individuals “still must face the inter-personal risk of ‘bringing their full self’ to work”—in other words, they risk their relationship with their manager, team members, or clients changing for the worse.

According to HRC’s report, less than half of straight employees surveyed felt comfortable hearing an LGBT coworker discuss their dating life. And one out of four people surveyed heard homophobic comments like “That’s so gay” while at work.

“We see when individuals experience ‘otherness,’ they are more likely to downplay their aspirations, have lower level mentors, and get less high visibility assignments; all of which are critical for career advancement,” said Gallien.

How to Be a Straight Ally at Work

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://www.ultimatebrokebackforum.com.

Today's edition by KillersMom, CellarDweller115

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to CellarDweller115.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name