The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet May - August 2017  (Read 8231 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
The Daily Sheet May - August 2017
« on: May 01, 2017, 06:31:19 PM »

Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017

"Counting For Thunder" DVD Release Today

Great news, everyone! Counting For Thunder will be released on DVD and VOD on May 2nd! Stay tuned for more specifics. In the meantime, Wolfe has uploaded the official trailer on YouTube. Spread the word! As always your continued support means the world to all of us!

The Counting For Thunder Team:  Phillip Irwin Cooper,  Jason Howard,  Amity Janow,  Paul Hardister,  Ellen Raff,  Kurt Donaldson, Donna Ekholdt,  Marsha Oglesby,  Randy Harrison

Counting For Thunder Facebook Page

Counting For Thunder Trailer on YouTube

Ang Lee Eyes Sci-Fi Actioner ‘Gemini Man’ at Skydance

Ang Lee is in discussions to direct the science-fiction actioner “Gemini Man” for Skydance — a project that’s been in the works for two decades.

Skydance picked up the rights to the project last year. Jerry Bruckheimer is producing and Don Murphy is executive producing. Lee’s rep stressed that the discussions are at an early stage and that official contract negotiations have not yet started.

Lee’s most recent film was “The Long Halftime Walk of Billy Lynn,” for which he used an unprecedented shooting and projection frame rate of 120 frames per second — five times faster than the normal rate of 24 frames per second. He won Academy Awards for directing “Brokeback Mountain” and “Life of Pi” and was nominated for “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.”!

In  2009, the late Curtis Hanson had been attached to direct from a script by David Benioff, in which an aging NSA agent tries to retire and is targeted for death. He then discovers his assassin is a younger cloned version of himself.

Ang Lee Eyes Sci-Fi Actioner ‘Gemini Man’ at Skydance

New York's Love Cross

When people living around Gay Street in New York City's Greenwich Village discovered a giant wooden cross chained to an apartment gate, they sprang into action.  The mysterious structure appeared on the street on Good Friday, and while the reasons for its presence were not clearly made known, many in the area decided it needed to be turned into an undeniably positive message.

Micah Latter, a resident of Gay Street, told PopSugar: 'As a Christian, the cross is a sign of love, peace, and hope and it was clear the mysterious owner of the cross was not sharing those same values.'  She added: 'It was unsettling that the owner's intentions were not sincere.'

First, Micah posted an image of the cross on Instagram and called for its removal by authorities, but she wasn't offered any help.  That's when she decided to take a different route, enlisting the help of friends and neighbors to turn the cross into a huge LGBTQ pride flag.

New York's Love Cross

Whitney Houston Documentary Alleges Singer Was Bisexual

Speculation about Whitney Houston’s sexuality is revisited in a new documentary about the legendary singer.  “Whitney: Can I Be Me,” which debuted at the Tribeca Film Festival Wednesday night, called into question Houston’s relationship with her best friend and assistant Robyn Crawford.

“I don’t think she was gay, I think she was bisexual,” stylist Ellin Lavar said in the movie, according to People.  “Robyn provided a safe place for her … in that Whitney found safety and solace.”

The two, who met in East Orange, N.J., as teenagers, were subject of rumors for years, even during Houston’s marriage to Bobby Brown.  “Robyn and Whitney were like twins,” security personnel Kevin Ammons said in the movie.  “They were inseparable. They had a bond and Bobby Brown could never remove Robyn. He wanted to be the man in the relationship.”

Whitney Houston Documentary Alleges Singer Was Bisexual

Denver Church Continues to Defend Lesbian Bishop

Denver's Christ Church United Methodist has a message for its highest court: “we will continue to resist your stance on gay rights.”  On Friday, the Methodist Court ruled its first openly gay bishop, Karen Oliveto -- who oversees dozens of churches in Colorado -- violated church law.

In 1972, the church added a clause to its law stating clergy cannot be "self-avowed practicing homosexuals."

“I am angry and I am hopeful. And I'm angry and I am sad,” said Reverend Eric Strader as he addressed his congregation at Denver's Christ Church United Methodist on Sunday.

Strader’s church preaches acceptance as its congregant base is comprised of diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds.  “We are more than the United Methodist Church. We disagree with the United Methodist Church,” he said in an interview. “We will live in defiance of any attempt to call anyone anything other than holy.”

Denver Church Continues to Defend Lesbian Bishop

Dispelling Misconceptions Of What It Means To Be Intersex

Back in the 1970s as a vice-principal of a local high school, a grade nine student registered as "male" informed me he was now "female." The gender spectrum at that time was largely an official mystery. She, requested the use of the girl's washroom and I made arrangements to have her use the female staff washroom. As a grade nine student, Mikela Jay was subjected to relentless bullying and verbal slurs. We tried to protect her as best we could but she dropped out as early as she could at the age of 15. She was such a courageous and talented girl.

Before she dropped out I gave her a copy of a Playboy magazine with an impressive article summarizing all the varied radical (at the time) medical interventions being employed with individuals wishing to clarify their gender/sexual identity physiologically. I remember feeling embarrassed and unprofessional handing a 15-year-old girl this magazine and suggesting she and her parents read it to see if there was anything being reported that would help her. (It is amazing to think that at that time it was not totally inappropriate for a professional male to have a Playboy for the "excellent articles!")

For a decade or so, I followed Mikela's remarkable career as an international model and as an actress.(She was a lanky, stunning beauty!)

Dispelling Misconceptions Of What It Means To Be Intersex

Prince William Hesitant To Attend LGBT Awards: Nominated For Straight Ally Award

Prince William hasn’t decided on whether he’ll be attending next month’s LGBT Awards even though he’s nominated for a Straight Ally Award. New reports indicate that Kensington Palace is even pushing for William to attend the awards ceremony, which will take place on Friday, May 12 in London.

In fact, one insider told Britain’s Daily Star that William’s attendance will help strengthen his connection with the LGBT community. Dubbed the ‘Gay Oscars,’ the ceremony is live streamed and is also considered to be the UK’s most publicized LGBT event. Tables are extremely limited and usually sold out within a month of the shortlist announcement. Past winners of the Straight Ally Award include Alan Carr, Stephen Fry, and Hollywood actor Sir Ian McKellen.

A source told the publication, “Wills has become a bit of a surprise ally of the LGBT community after passionately speaking out against homophobic bullying. His support could see him picking up a British LGBT Award next month and I know awards organizers are working with Kensington Palace to secure him for the ceremony.”

Prince William Hesitant To Attend LGBT Awards: Nominated For Straight Ally Award

Brokie Gathering -  2017

There will be a Brokie gathering in 2017 in August.  We're meeting in Casper, Wyoming, to watch  the solar eclipse together.

Here is a link to the thread about the gathering, if you're interested, post in the thread and let us know!!!

http://ultimatebrokebackforum.com/index.php?topic=49254.0

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://www.ultimatebrokebackforum.com.

Today's edition by KillersMom, CellarDweller115

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to CellarDweller115.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: The Daily Sheet May - August 2017
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 12:38:18 AM »

Tuesday, May 9th, 2017

"Counting For Thunder" DVD Release Today

Amazon.com description:  Counting for Thunder is inspired by the three years when Phillip Irwin Cooper, unlucky in work, money and love, went home to the Gulf Coast of Alabama when his relationship with Caroline, a UCLA college professor, hit the skids and at the same time his mother received a dire medical diagnosis. Working through his past with his complicated family, some old high school chums, and the desperate and hilarious southern characters who grace his hometown, Phillip learns more about his mother than he ever bargained for, and more about himself than he ever guessed possible. He ultimately finds his own voice as his mother is regaining hers. Counting for Thunder covers many of the same universal themes of love, life, sex and death as Fried Green Tomatoes and Steel Magnolias. Producer Marsha Oglesby, who grew up in the South, compares the heart of Counting for Thunder to Terms of Endearment, as played between a mother and son.

Buy CFT on Amazon

Anne Hathaway Dominates 'Colossal'

Hidden behind a dark curtain of hair, her raccoon-ringed eyes peering from under thick bangs, Anne Hathaway seems to be doing penance for the shaved head and gimme-the-Oscar bombast of her award-winning turn in "Les Miserables."  That movie plunged Hathaway - a gifted actress, comedian and singer - into a maelstrom of internet "hate," which is cheery millennial- speak for irrational, misdirected (and often sexist) rage.

If Hathaway's new movie, "Colossal," doesn't quiet the haters, nothing will. This clever mash-up of indie rom-coms and Japanese "kaiju" movies (think Godzilla and Mothra) presents an ideal showcase for the actress's gifts - for spiky self-awareness, slapstick physical humor and subtle changes in tone and color that sneak up on viewers throughout a movie that's never quite as simple as it seems.

"Colossal" opens with a scene inspired by those Godzilla/Mothra roots, when a little girl in Seoul clutches her dolly to her chest while an enormous monster terrorizes her hometown. Cut to 25 years later, when Gloria (Hathaway) stumbles into her boyfriend's apartment after a raging all-nighter. Clearly it's happened before, and clearly Tim (Dan Stevens) has had it; he orders her to pack her things, just moments before her fellow revelers pile into the front door to keep the party going.

Anne Hathaway Dominates 'Colossal'

Chechen's Ramzan Kadyrov Claims No Gay People Exist in Region

Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov has argued no gay people exist in the Russian republic and those who are LGBT are fake Chechens.  Mr Kadyrov's comments come after Russian President Vladimir Putin announced he would communicate with the country’s Prosecutor General and Minister of Internal Affairs about reports of the detention and torture of gay men in Chechnya.

More than 100 men have reportedly been detained and tortured in Chechnya after being identified as suspected “homosexuals”. At least four are alleged to have been killed.

But Mr Kadyrov claimed gay men in the republic were not true Chechens and were simply pretending to be Chechen in order to “get to the West”.

Chechen's Ramzan Kadyrov Claims No Gay People Exist in Region

Bisexual, Pansexual, Queer....What's the Difference?

I came out as bisexual eight years ago when I began dating women. As time passed, I also began using the term "queer" to describe my sexuality, since I love how it serves as an umbrella term for anyone outside of the heteronormative world. And because of this, identifying as queer provides me with a sense of connectivity to the LGBTQ community as a whole. But also, I just feel like the words "bisexual" and "queer" fit. Other people who are attracted to more than one gender may prefer the label "pansexual," and they have their own reasons for this preference.

When your sexual orientation falls somewhere between homosexual and heterosexual, deciding which label is best for you can be confusing. The good news is, there's no rush to apply a label to yourself, so you can take all the time you need to decide, says Sarah Mikhail, director of family and career development at The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Community Center in New York City. And, like me, you can also use more than one label — or you can choose not to use a label at all. It's totally up to you.

Bisexual, Pansexual, Queer....What's the Difference?

Chocolate Remix: The Lesbian Reggaeton Artist

The founding fathers of the testosterone-fuelled Latin pop genre reggaeton would probably be surprised to hear their penises described as dispensable. But this is the message from Chocolate Remix, a tiny Argentinian woman in a big cap taking aim at the “supermachos” in her single, Lo Que Las Mujeres Quieren. “Hey macho reggaeton man, listen to what I say / You don’t know about women / A woman prefers two well-placed fingers.”

This is “lesbian reggaeton”, and “Choco”, its swaggering pioneer, is one of a rising number of female reggaetoneras changing the male-dominated genre from within. An established talent in Buenos Aires’ alternative scene, Choco keeps reggaeton’s defining dembow rhythm and perreo (the doggy-style grinding dance culture) but uses the lyrics to satirise machismo and bust the taboos of female pleasure and lesbian sex. She also revisits reggaeton’s homophobic roots and rewrites the songs for a queer audience.

Choco might be a badass on stage but at home she is Romina Bernardo, a softly spoken 31-year-old former IT programmer from Argentina’s small north-eastern province of Tucumán. She now lives in Buenos Aires with her two cats. Between careful sips of maté (a green tea beloved in the southern cone), Choco explains how she loved reggaeton when it arrived in the clubs in the 00s, a decade after it came out of the barrios of Puerto Rico where underground artists first fused Jamaican dancehall rhythms with Spanish lyrics. Yet she hated the lyrics. “In reggaeton, a lot of songs talk about sex. I thought it would be great to use it to talk about other kinds of sex,” she says, adding: “Lesbian reggaeton was a kind of joke.”

Chocolate Remix: The Lesbian Reggaeton Artist

Coming Out As Genderqueer

First I was a tomboy. Then a teenybopper, a bisexual woman, a drag queen. Through my life I have struggled to find the right words, the right explanation for what I really am: a genderqueer, non-binary person, no gender and all genders at once. Just a straight-up, dope-ass li’l human who gets creative, spiritual, and sexual joy from performing femininity but can’t and won’t be limited by what that performance implies. I’ve known who I was on an essential level for many, many years, but now, as a 31-year-old Californian on antidepressants just out here trying to make a life writing about cumming, I’m finally coming out. While I am afraid of what could happen as a result in this new, impossibly unpredictable world, I refuse to be cowed.

My pronouns are they/them. For a long time I thought that since I’m comfortable in my feminine body, that since the world reads me loud and clear as a woman, I shouldn’t rock the boat. That I shouldn’t make other people have to put in the small amount of work it takes to gender me correctly. But I am done hiding. I am done keeping the boat steady at the expense of my own truth. I see trans folk getting murdered at a horrifying rate, I see non-binary friends being denied surgery because they have “a woman’s name,” I fall in love with a man despite myself because he’s the most wonderfully feminine man I’ve ever met, and I know that to fail to live boldly and openly in this moment would be to fail myself, my community, and my country.

Coming Out As Genderqueer

Straight Allies Of LGBTQ Muslims

Sometimes atheists, feminists and LGBTQ rights activists create a new orthodoxy when they demean those who do not share their views. In their critiques they also dictate how allies should think and when they should talk. Battling others for being judgmental and lacking compassion, they become the very embodiment of what they oppose.

Not all traditionally conservative people are judgmental, sexist or homophobic. They may reject a worldview without God and traditional rules of ethical conduct while being compassionate neighbours and friends.

Disagreement is part of the human experience. Therefore, belittling allies in aggressive tones, dictating their conduct and thought process as if we were the fonts of wisdom by virtue of being oppressed is unwarranted.

Straight Allies Of LGBTQ Muslims

Brokie Gathering -  2017

There will be a Brokie gathering in 2017 in August.  We're meeting in Casper, Wyoming, to watch  the solar eclipse together.

Here is a link to the thread about the gathering, if you're interested, post in the thread and let us know!!!

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://www.ultimatebrokebackforum.com.

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.

The Daily Sheet Archives
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 04:31:56 PM »

Tuesday, May 16th, 2017

"International Day Against Homophobia", aka IDAHO

The International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia is observed on May 17 and aims to coordinate international events that raise awareness of LGBT rights violations and stimulate interest in LGBT rights work worldwide. In the 9th edition, in 2013, commemorations took place in almost 120 countries, in all world regions.   The founders of the International Day Against Homophobia, as it was originally known, established the IDAHO Committee to coordinate grass-roots actions in different countries, to promote the day and to lobby for official recognition on May 17. That date was chosen to commemorate the decision to remove homosexuality from the International Classification of Diseases of the World Health Organization (WHO) in 1990.

The day was conceived in 2004. A year-long campaign culminated in the first International Day Against Homophobia on May 17, 2005. 24,000 individuals as well as organizations such as the International Lesbian and Gay Association (ILGA), the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission (IGLHRC), the World Congress of LGBT Jews, and the Coalition of African Lesbians signed an appeal to support the "IDAHO initiative".

Paris Television is marking  the day by posting videos on YouTube that feature the stars of Hidden Kisses, a movie recently discussed in our Gay Cinema thread.

The videos are in French.  If any of our members speak French/studied French, and wants to see or possibly give a description of the videos' conversations, you can find them here.

Hidden Kisses Actors Discuss Homophobia Victim's Story

Hidden Kisses Actors Discuss IDAHO Celebration

David Harbour as Hellboy

Hellboy, the demonic comic book hero turned Guillermo del Toro film franchise, is poised to return to the big screen, this time without the filmmaker at the helm.  Millennium is in negotiations with producers Larry Gordon and Lloyd Levin for a new installment that would reboot and relaunch the property. Mike Richardson of Dark Horse Entertainment is also producing.

Neil Marshall, the horror director who broke out with The Descent and won raves for his work on Game of Thrones, is attached to direct the project, which has a working title of Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen and has a script by Andrew Cosby, Christopher Golden and Hellboy creator Mike Mignola.

Del Toro is not involved, nor is Ron Perlman, the actor who inhabited the red-skinned, cigar-chomping devil in the two previous installments.

Rather, David Harbour, star of Stranger Things, End of Watch, and Brokeback Mountain, is in talks to play Hellboy.

David Harbour as Hellboy

New Gay Slang And Terminology

Even in the era of eggplant and peach emojis, Justin Sayre wants to keep gay speech and slang alive.   In his latest video for HuffPost Queer Voices, Sayre teams up with fellow writer-performer Ben Rimalower to introduce some new, cheeky gay terminology to spice up your everyday vocabulary. Sorry, folks ― these phrases aren’t for kids. You’ll never look at “Mulan,” Dropbox, Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds the same way again. (WARNING: contains graphic language.)

For the past 8 years, Sayre’s “International Order of Sodomites” (I.O.S.) has met once a month for “The Meeting,” a variety show honoring an artist or a cultural work that is iconic to the gay community. The final installment of “The Meeting” hits Joe’s Pub at the Public Theater for two performances May 14, and will also be streamed online.

You can check out Sayre’s comedy album, “The Gay Agenda,” here. Meanwhile, the latest episode of “Sparkle & Circulate with Justin Sayre,” the official I.O.S. podcast, was released this month, featuring an interview with “RuPaul’s Drag Race” champion Jinkx Monsoon.

You can also view some previous performances from “The Meeting” on Sayre’s official YouTube page. For more Sayre, head to Facebook and Twitter.

New Gay Slang And Terminology

Keiynan Lonsdale Comes Out as Bisexual

Keiynan Lonsdale has posted an inspirational message to all of his fans on Instagram about acceptance.  The actor, known for playing Wally West on The Flash, revealed on the social media website that he is bisexual and is proud of it – and that everybody should embrace who they are.

"I like to change my hair, I like to take risks with how I dress, I like girls, and I like guys (yes)," he posted. "I like growing, I like learning, I like who I am, and I really like who I'm becoming."

"Spent way too many years hating myself, thinking I was less valuable because I was different... which is just untrue."

"A couple of years ago, I was able to accept myself, and it saved my life, but now I've gotten to a new roadblock and I feel kind of lost. I gotta take the next step and actually embrace who I am, which is pretty exciting."

Keiynan Lonsdale Comes Out as Bisexual

Lesbian Granted Rights of 'Husband'

In the first ruling of its kind in Tennessee, a judge has granted a woman the legal rights of a husband.  The ruling, issued last week and made public Monday, came as the state Legislature was pushing through a bill designed to stop Judge Greg McMillan of Fourth Circuit Court — and any other judge in Tennessee — from making that very decision, court records show.

In a reversal from his decision last year, McMillan penned approval of a divorce for same-sex couple Sabrina Witt and Erica Witt that includes designation of Erica Witt as the father of the couple's daughter, conceived through artificial insemination.

Days later, Gov. Bill Haslam signed into law a bill inspired by the Witts' case, the first in the state after a 2015 federal Supreme Court decision that conferred marital rights to same-sex couples. The state law ordered courts to give "natural meaning" to words such as mother and father.

Lesbian Granted Rights of 'Husband'

What It Means to Be Asexual

Sexuality and gender identity aren't really that hard to understand, yet we hear again and again that identities like intersex or asexual are too hard for straight, cisgender people to wrap their minds around.  In an effort to curb that excuse for the next generation, and to build a more accepting future, Lindsay Amer and her friend Teddy (who is a stuffed bear) star in videos aimed to help kids understand identities within the LGBTQIA+ community.

The series, Queer Kid Stuff, is hosted on YouTube and took on defining asexuality in the latest video.  Amer opens the video asking Teddy about the times when they (Teddy uses they/them pronouns) see their parents kiss.  "Sometimes when two adults love each other romantically, they like to express that love by kissing," Amer explains to Teddy. "They might also hold hands or hug."  While Teddy's parents also hold Teddy's hands and hug them, Amer mentions that while there are lots of different kinds of love, the video today would be "talking about romantic love between adults."

Teddy, who remembers that when their parents sometimes say "I love you" to each other, clearly understands the thought of people expressing love through words.  Still, Eliza says, some asexual people actually do enjoy kissing, like Teddy's parents do, but they don't like other physical expressions of love (like, you know, sex.) There are so many different ways for people to be asexual, she says, that we call it a spectrum.

What It Means to Be Asexual

Patricia Arquette: Ally and Activist

On April 1, GLAAD Honoree Patricia Arquette joined the makers of [b Moonlight[/b], Transparent, and many others honored at the 28th Annual GLAAD Media Awards in Los Angeles at the Beverly Hilton. The world’s largest LGBTQ awards show, which was broadcast exclusively on Logo on April 6, was sponsored by LGBTQ ally, Ketel One Vodka.

Arquette—the Oscar-winning sister of Rosanna and Alexis—is well-known to the LGBTQ community as an ally, a feminist, and as a champion of her late sister Alexis’s legacy. In this exclusive interview with Curve, Arquette shares her feelings about the newest wave of feminist activism and the push for gender equality, why we need to support our trans brothers and sisters, and why corporate sponsors such as Ketel One are vital to raising the visibility for the LGBTQ community and its causes.

Patricia Arquette: Ally and Activist

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: foreverinawe, KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 07:42:44 PM »

Tuesday, May 23rd, 2017

Kate Mara (Alma Jr.) in Megan Leavey

Side-stepping the more explicit aspects of war, the biopic Megan Leavey focuses on the story of a woman who finds a higher calling, though not of a religious variety. A wild child from a broken Rockland County home, she ultimately finds the kind of camaraderie she’d been missing in her upbringing through a canine. Played masterfully by Kate Mara, Leavey is an aimless young woman who leaves a dead-end daycare job, deadbeat mom Jackie (Edie Falco), and life behind to join the Marines. Despite the discipline instilled, she still finds ways of returning to her old self, including one drunken night in which public urination lands her a reassignment to the K9 unit under the command of Gunny Martin (Common), the kind of tough love commander who tells it like it is while providing mentorship to those that ask.

After some time in the kennel, Leavey aspires to work her way up to a handler, overseeing the stubborn canine Rex at Camp Pendleton in California. Leavey is told early on by a boss that she’s not quite a people person and, although she seems to be well-liked by her unit, she never quite bonds with anyone like Rex — that includes a love interest Morales (Ramon Rodriguez), a fellow handler from New York who she meets in Iraq while on tour.

Megan Leavy Montclair 2017 Review

Glad to be Gay: Leading Figures on 50 Years of Liberation

Between 1885 and 1967, a man could go to prison for loving another man. This was a love that dare not speak its name – for fear of prosecution. 75,000 men were arrested during this period for what was referred to as – in words of euphemistic damnation – “gross indecency”. It was not until the 1960s that the MP Leo Abse and Lord Arran proposed a bill to liberalise male homosexuality, drawing on the recommendations of the 1957 Wolfenden report. At 5.30am on 5 July 1967, the Sexual Offences Act was passed, decriminalising private homosexual acts between men over 21 in England and Wales (Scotland eventually caught up in 1980, Northern Ireland in 1982). It was a landmark moment and the beginning of a long haul to freedom.

Today, as we reach the 50th anniversary of the passing of the act, looking back induces vertiginous disbelief. In the UK, the landscape has been transformed with civil partnership (2004), gay marriage (2013) and families headed by gay couples – every reason for gay pride. And the 50th anniversary of the Sexual Offences Act is itself being celebrated across the country in our national institutions in a way that would have been unimaginable five decades ago. Events include the British Museum’s show, Desire, Love, Identity: exploring LGBTQ histories, the National Theatre’s Queer series (6-10 July), which offers rehearsed readings charting the LGBT experience, and the National Trust’s programme exploring gender diversity through the history of its houses, Prejudice and Pride.

Glad to be Gay: Leading Figures on 50 Years of Liberation

This Advocate Couldn’t Find a Bisexual Community

Bisexual advocate Greg Ward has been told there's no such thing as a bisexual person. He's heard it from gay and straight people alike.

"I've heard people say that bisexual men don't exist — 'They're on the train to Gay Town' — things like this," Ward told NBC Out. "And I think they don't understand what bisexuality is if they say things like that, because in my experience, my attraction is the same as a gay man's. I'm just as attracted to other men as a gay man equally."

Ward first came out to a small group of friends in 2000. One friend told him she thought bisexual men were disgusting and that she would never date one. Ward, who was 25 at the time, said it made him feel "awful."

"I'm like, 'Oh, this is the feeling of most women?' I didn't know what to think about that," he said.

This Advocate Couldn’t Find a Bisexual Community

Lesbian Fled Russia in a Boat

A Russian woman has shared a love story for the ages, that see she and the woman she loves fleeing abuse, sailing the open seas, and finding safe harbor together.

Elena grew up in Ivanovo, a city just over 150 miles east of Moscow, where she was pushed to conform and get a boyfriend.

“I never wanted to be with a man,” she told Prospekt Magazine. “I knew that from the very beginning. And, of course, I didn’t want to get married, but the problem was that my family and pretty much everyone around me was forcing me to date men and eventually set me up with one of them.”

“He made the first move and I let him go further, to please my mother and also because there was no other path for me in life but to date the guy and have a family with him. I didn’t have the guts to do things any other way,” she added.

Lesbian Fled Russia in a Boat

6 Things Every Genderqueer Parent Wants You To Know

I'm a genderqueer mom of three pretty cool human beings, if I do say so myself. As such, I'd like to let you in on the things every genderqueer parent wants you to know. Of course, it's worth mentioning just how complicated a task that truly is, because every genderqueer parent is different. Not only are they different in their parenting, but they're different in what being genderqueer means to them.

As a society, we generally accept that mothers are all different from one another. So when we, as mothers, share our stories, most people are quick to assume that the person doing the sharing is speaking from her own, unique experience as a mother and not speaking for all mothers everywhere. However, assumptions become problematic when there's a less mainstream identity, like "genderqueer parent," involved. As a society, our assumption then, generally, is that the person sharing is speaking for all genderqueer parents everywhere. However, just like you dear reader, I can only speak from my personal, lived experiences.

6 Things Every Genderqueer Parent Wants You To Know

Cheshire Police Employee Honoured

A Cheshire police employee won a special award at this year's British LGBT Awards 2017.  Head of Legal Services David Bryan was named as the Corporate Straight Ally of the Year at the awards ceremony in London last Friday, (May 12).

The awards, which celebrate the UK’s most loved LGBT personalities, innovators and companies, also honoured Prince William, who won the Straight Ally of the Year award.

David has been a senior leader in the police service for four years, specialising in social care, education and criminal justice in local authorities and Probation Trusts in Yorkshire and the North West.  A Cheshire police spokesperson said David is a committed supporter of LGBT equality, accepting with huge pride the role of Senior Champion firstly for West Yorkshire Probation Trust and subsequently for Cheshire police, both of which made it into the Stonewall Top 100 Employers under his watch.

The category David won was decided by the competition’s judges and said he felt 'really humbled' to win this award.

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 08:50:45 PM »

Tuesday, May 30th, 2017

Linda Cardellini on 'Bloodline'

While Bloodline's third and final season began with John Rayburn (Kyle Chandler) speeding away from the Florida Keys and ignoring calls from his mom and siblings, it's Meg Rayburn (Linda Cardellini) who's ultimately able to break away from her family.  She previously tried to start a new life in New York in the Netflix series' second season before ultimately getting sucked back into her family's issues. And earlier this season, she's seen in a flashback telling then-boyfriend Marco (Enrique Murciano) that she's thought about leaving but always comes back.

Indeed, it's Marco's brutal murder by youngest Rayburn brother Kevin (Norbert Leo Butz) that prompts Meg to move away and change her identity. As viewers learn in the third season's seventh episode, when John finds her, Meg is now going by Amy and is telling her new group of friends that her parents died in an accident and that John is a childhood friend whose father was in the Navy with her dad.  It's a significant break but one that she's able to stick with, not going back home with John despite his arguing that it would help with the ongoing trial.

Linda Cardellini on 'Bloodline'

White House Caption Offence

During the Trumps' visit overseas, they met with the NATO leaders.  The spouses of the leaders posed for their own picture.  In the picture's line-up was only one male, Gauthier Destenay, the husband of Luxembourg's Prime Minister Xavier Bettel.  The two married when their country legalized gay marriage.

A copy of the picture was posted on the White House's official website.  However, when the line-up was posted, Gauthier Destenay's name was left of the listing of the spouses, only the names of the women were posted with the picture.   This lead to multiple twitter posts, pointing to the rudeness of the exclusion, and the evidence of homophobia in the White House.

The post was edited about six hours later to include Destenay, who married Bettel in 2015, making them the first same-sex couple at the head of an EU country.

Is Bisexuality Real?

A common myth is that bisexuality only exists as a stepping-stone between being straight and coming out as gay.

While some people who eventually do come out as gay may first come out as bisexual, this doesn’t mean that bisexual people don’t exist.  This, and the idea that somehow bisexuals are just “experimenting”, are harmful things to say to bisexual people.  Another piece of common abuse faced by bisexual people is that they are “greedy”, or that they will eventually “choose” between being gay and being straight.  This erasure is damaging to bisexual people who are very real, and who simply are attracted to both men and women.

A common myth is that bisexuality only exists as a stepping-stone between being straight and coming out as gay.

Bisexual actress Evan Rachel Wood addressed bi-visibility in 2015 in the best way.  The True Blood star, rather frankly, said that she is “still bisexual no matter who I’m with”, meaning even if she gets married to a man, she is still bisexual and that she doesn’t ‘turn’ straight, and it certainly doesn’t mean she’s ‘chosen’ to be straight.

Is Bisexuality Real?

The Truth About ‘Violent Lesbian Gangs’

And on the seventh day, they retracted.  Fox News had dug in its heels hard. But its much-ballyhooed “brand new bombshell”—an evidence-free claim that a Democratic National Committee staffer was murdered last summer because he leaked thousands of Democratic Party emails to WikiLeaks—had completely fallen apart by Tuesday.

That fantasy was purveyed over the previous week by some of the usual suspects of Fox’s Sean Hannity, Lou Dobbs and “political contributor” Newt Gingrich, but it rested on one man: Rod Wheeler, Fox News contributor, former Washington, D.C., homicide detective, and teller of very, very tall tales.

I can’t say that was much of a surprise to me.  Ten years ago, Rod Wheeler, then styled a “Fox News crime analyst,” appeared on the “The O’Reilly Factor” to report that “all over the country” hundreds of gangs of pink pistol-packing lesbians were terrorizing victims.

The Truth About ‘Violent Lesbian Gangs’

Transgender Woman Aims to Change Jail Policies

The lawyer for a transgender woman who was forced to stay in a men’s jail says his client hopes her human rights case against the British Columbia government will change policies for other inmates.

Dan Soiseth (pictured left) says his client Jaris Lovado, who calls herself Bianca, was incarcerated at the Surrey Pretrial Centre for five months last year before being moved to a women’s facility, and only after filing multiple complaints.

The Justice Ministry moved to have Lovado’s complaint to the BC Human Rights Tribunal dismissed, but the tribunal says the case is worthy of a further hearing.

BC Corrections has a policy of housing inmates according to their self-identified gender unless health and safety concerns can’t be resolved.  The ministry told the tribunal in its application that during a previous stay at Alouette Centre, Lovado had displayed a “male persona,” had engaged in inappropriate relationships with female inmates and posed a safety risk.

Transgender Woman Aims to Change Jail Policies

The Midwife Who Saved Intersex Babies

Zainab was used to delivering babies. As a traditional birth attendant in rural western Kenya, she'd delivered dozens over the years. But none like the one in front of her now.
It had been a tricky birth, but nothing Zainab couldn't handle. The umbilical cord had got twisted around the baby's head and she'd had to think quickly, using a wooden spoon to untangle it.

After clearing the baby's airway, she washed the child and cut and tied the umbilical cord. It was then that Zainab saw something she'd never seen before.

"When I looked to see if it was a boy or a girl, I saw two things protruding - this baby had male and female parts," she says.  Instead of saying what she usually said at this point - "It's a boy!" or "It's a girl!" - Zainab handed the baby to its mother and simply told her, "Here is your baby."  When the exhausted mother saw that her child's sex was unclear, she was stunned. But when her husband arrived, he was in no doubt about what should happen next.

"He told me, 'We can't take this baby home. We want this baby to be killed.' I told him that the child was God's creation and must not be killed. But he insisted. So eventually I told him, 'Leave the baby with me, I'll kill it for you.' But I did not kill the baby. I kept it."

The Midwife Who Saved Intersex Babies

A Cheshire police employee won a special award at this year's British LGBT Awards 2017.  Head of Legal Services David Bryan was named as the Corporate Straight Ally of the Year at the awards ceremony in London last Friday, (May 12).

The awards, which celebrate the UK’s most loved LGBT personalities, innovators and companies, also honoured Prince William, who won the Straight Ally of the Year award.

David has been a senior leader in the police service for four years, specialising in social care, education and criminal justice in local authorities and Probation Trusts in Yorkshire and the North West.  A Cheshire police spokesperson said David is a committed supporter of LGBT equality, accepting with huge pride the role of Senior Champion firstly for West Yorkshire Probation Trust and subsequently for Cheshire police, both of which made it into the Stonewall Top 100 Employers under his watch.

The category David won was decided by the competition’s judges and said he felt 'really humbled' to win this award.

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 03:48:44 PM »

Tuesday, June 6th, 2017

David Harbour Interview Online

In the Envelope: An Awards Podcast” features interviews with award-winning actors and other creatives. Join host and Awards Editor Jack Smart for a front row seat to the industry’s biggest awards races! Brought to you by HBO.

The inaugural episode of “In the Envelope” kicks off a series of interviews with this year’s contenders for the 2017 Emmy Awards race. Who is in the running? What makes great, awards-worthy television? How can you—yes, you!—win an Emmy statue of your own?

Claire Danes is a three-time Emmy-winning actor and the star of Showtime’s long-running political thriller “Homeland.” David Harbour is one of the SAG Award-winning stars of last year’s Netflix hit “Stranger Things.” We chatted with both about their best acting advice, how they build their characters, and all things awards.

Listen now on:  iTunes - Google Play - SoundCloud.

David Harbour Interview Online

Trump Ditches White House LGBT Pride Month Celebrations

From 2009 until 2016, President Obama had issued annual Proclamations recognising the month of June as LGBT Pride Month and hosted LGBT festivities inside the White House.  Donald Trump has ended Barack Obama’s eight-year tradition of LGBT Pride Month celebrations in the White House.

Obama’s Proclamations recognised “the fight for dignity and equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people”, as well as marking the government’s role in “working to broaden opportunity, advance equality, and level the playing field for LGBT people and communities”.  However, the tradition of Pride celebrations in the White House appears to have been ended under Trump.

Today, the Trump White House released a string of Proclamations marking June as “National Homeownership Month”, “National Ocean Month”, “African-American Music Appreciation Month” and “Great Outdoors Month” – but no such Proclamation was released for LGBT Pride Month.  Likewise, no LGBT Pride Month events at the White House have been announced.

Five Nuanced and Inspiring Bisexual Characters

It’s Pride Month, everyone! And it’s a particularly exciting one for me as *drumroll* it’s the first one I’ll be celebrating as an out bisexual. There’s something weird about coming out later in your life. There’s a lot more to wrap your head around as there’s stuff that you were trained not to really pay attention to before. Like, for example, representation of your actual sexuality on television.

When I was living life as a straight person, I knew I liked dudes, so clearly I wasn’t a lesbian, and since those are the only two “real options” (because “bi” is just a stop on the road to gay, right?), I must have only wanted to be really good friends with the girls I imagined making out with.

Dear Society, Offering bisexuality as a legit option might have saved me a lot of time and grief, and gotten me laid a lot sooner. Get it together. Thanks. Love, Teresa.

I also didn’t really register how many bisexual characters there were/weren’t in my pop culture. Because I didn’t know to call myself one, I didn’t know to look out for them. When they did appear, I greeted the revelation with a sincere, That’s nice.

Five Nuanced and Inspiring Bisexual Characters

Lesbian/Queer Women’s Activist History Reclaimed

History has a selective eye, especially when presented from the point of view of outspoken men who believe they speak for an era. How many women do you remember from ACT UP? Ann Northrop, Maxine Wolfe, Sarah Schulman may come to mind as kick-ass activists seen in documentaries about ACT UP/New York.

But what about Los Angeles? How many remember the hard frontline work of such ACT UP/LA and Being Alive activists as Mary Lucey, who is HIV-positive, and her wife Nancy MacNeil, who started the Women Alive newsletter? They not only endured rough arrests by the LAPD but also worked “on the inside” the late L.A. City AIDS Coordinator Ferd Eggan?

Friday night, the couple reconnected with fellow women warriors from the late 80s/early 90s activist days of ACT UP/LA, Queer Nation, the Dyke March and Lesbian Avengers at Lesbians to Watch Out For: ‘90s Queer LA Activism, a multimedia History & Art exhibit at the historic Long Hall in Plummer Park, West Hollywood.

Lesbian/Queer Women’s Activist History Reclaimed

LGBT Groups Brace for New Fight Over Transgender Troops

Groups that advocate for LGBT people in the military are gearing up for another fight to keep an Obama-era policy in place on transgender recruits.

Transgender troops already in the military have been able to serve openly since then-Secretary of Defense Ash Carter lifted a ban in June 2016. But under the policy Carter crafted, transgender recruits haven’t been allowed to enlist pending the end of a one-year implementation period.

That day comes July 1, but advocates fear Defense Secretary James Mattis will push the deadline back indefinitely.

“What’s so sad about hearing these arguments is that Secretary Mattis and the Pentagon have seemed like the one place in the executive branch where honesty and evidence-based policy and adult decision-making are still the name of the game,” said Aaron Belkin, director of the Palm Center.

LGBT Groups Brace for New Fight Over Transgender Troops

Genderqueer in Baseball’s Front Office

Growing up in central California an hour and a half west of Yosemite, Jen Ramos was not exactly a sports fan. But one day 10 years ago, Ramos “randomly” watched a post-season Major League Baseball game and was hooked.  Ramos was intrigued by the strategy needed, and the analytical perspective that went into every decision. Ramos studied the game, figuring out details and reading books like Moneyball.

At Mills College, Ramos majored in creative writing and minored in journalism. The all-women’s college in Oakland is known for many things – including its transgender admission policy. “Anyone who identifies as female, was assigned that gender at birth or is transitioning to female is welcome,” Ramos explains.

The more Ramos learned about the gender spectrum and gender fluidity, the more Ramos realized “I was on that spectrum. I don’t necessarily identify as female.” After “a lifelong journey to figure out why I don’t feel I fit in as a woman” – and many conversations with classmates and professors at Mills – Ramos identified as genderqueer. At the beginning of each semester, instructors ask students which pronouns they prefer. Jen answered “they.”

Read more at http://gaysaltlake.com/news/2017/05/22/genderqueer-baseballs-front-office/#fduM27T6hXrcxd6B.99

Genderqueer in Baseball’s Front Office

Straight People Will Lead This Pride March in India

The popular pride march in the Indian city of Pune will be lead by straight allies to celebrate their support of the LGBTI community.  The idea to let straight people lead the pride march ties in with the theme of this year’s pride event, ‘Acceptance by families of LGBTQ persons’. The Pune pride team chose the theme to stress the importance of straight allies in the fight for equal rights.
Queer individuals, if and when they want to, choose to come out to a family member, friend, or someone they trust,’ Bindumadhav Khire, president of the organization that plans that pride march, Samapathik Trust told Times of India.

‘NGOs and support systems are important, but what’s more crucial is the love and acceptance they look for from immediate family and friends.  ‘This forms a key foundation for the rest of their lives. For this year’s parade, we’ve decided to honour this acceptance by our straight allies.’  Souvik Ghosh works in IT by day but has dedicated his free time to planning the parade this year.

‘We’ve always sought and celebrated the support we receive from straight allies, but we’ve reached a stage now where the movement is no longer about the LGBT community alone,’ he said.

Straight People Will Lead This Pride March in India

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 09:55:03 PM »

Tuesday, June 13th, 2017

Lucian Childs - "Building Fires In The Snow"

“Building Fires in the Snow” is a collection of Alaska LGBTQ fiction and poetry edited by Martha Amore and Lucian Childs. It features contributing authors from across the state and beyond, including Rosemary McGuire (“Creatures at the Absolute Bottom of the Sea”), Alysse Knorr (“Annotated Glass” and the upcoming “Copper Mother”), and Mei Mei Evans (“Oil and Water.”) And it is long overdue.

Make no mistake: this collection is uniquely Alaska, filled with stories about commercial fisherman and cabin-building, Anchorage dive bars and the natural sublime. It fits perfectly in alongside nature-exploration memoirs and gold rush histories, and it shares a respect for the culture and setting that make Alaska what it is.

Yet, “Building Fires” is also designed to critique and challenge some of the sub-market’s worst clichés, from its obsession with the (straight) man versus wild conflict to the artificial rural vs. urban dichotomy to the sheer existence of LGBTQ individuals that is so often ignored or outright denied. That it does all this in a collection of fiction is likewise a breath of fresh air in a non-fiction dominated market.

Ultimate Brokeback Forum members will recognize Lucian Childs as fellow member/slash writer No_Reins. Lucian along with fellow editor, Martha Amore, are finalists in the LGBTQ Anthology category of the Lambda Literary Awards, to be awarded Monday, June 12, 2017.

Lucian Childs - Building Fires In The Snow

Trump Marks Pride by Praising Leaders of Homophobic Groups

During LGBTQ Pride Month, an annual celebration that the White House refuses to recognize alongside “National Homeownership Month,” the president attended a conference supported by homophobic groups.

The president attended the Faith and Freedom Coalition’s “Road to Majority” conference on Friday, where he said he would “promote and protect family values” and “ protect religious liberty in America.” The Faith and Freedom Coalition is an anti-LGBTQ group that vocally opposes same-sex marriage, and has even joined a campaign against gay Boy Scouts of America leaders, in the name of their interpretation of the Bible.

During his speech, Trump praised Ralph Reed, founder and chair of the FFC, and Dr. James Dobson, founder of Focus on the Family, two homophobes whose histories of anti-LGBTQ remarks are well-documented. Focus on the Family is opposed to same-sex marriage, calls homosexuality “preventable and treatable,” and promotes ex-gay therapy.

Trump Marks Pride by Praising Leaders of Homophobic Groups

Taylor Bennett on Being Black & Bisexual in Hip-Hop

"The reason I came out was for my fans," the 21-year-old Chicago native said. "Because how can you support someone when you don't know someone. I wanted them to know who they supported."

The timing of Bennett's announcement in January was symbolic, he said: "It was the day before my birthday and I was about to be 21. I wanted to go into manhood being a more honest person. That was what initiated it, but the response was amazing."

Bennett's older brother, Chance the Rapper, was a voice in the positive feedback. On HOT 97's Ebro in the Morning show, he spoke about his brother's sexuality with admiration, though Bennett doesn't think coming out should be overly praised. "I don't think it should be something that has to be heroic," he told Cheddar. "I think it should be something that at one point, we can all do and feel comfortable about."

When asked about being an out, bisexual rapper, Bennett said the root of hip-hop's homophobia stretches beyond the industry and into black culture. "There's a lot of black men that feel like to be black, you're already a second class citizen, he said. "And on top of that, to be homosexual just lowers the standard."

Taylor Bennett on Being Black & Bisexual in Hip-Hop

The Last Lesbian Bar Standing in Denver

It’s 2017 and Blush and Blu is the last lesbian bar in Denver.  That may sound like the scene-setter for a queer dystopian novel, but take a look 10 years back: Denver had at least five lesbian bars, each with lines out front on Friday and Saturday nights.  Then, poke around nationally and you’ll find landmark lesbian bars closing coast to coast, from San Francisco’s Lexington Club to New York’s Meow Mix. It’s no longer shocking for large cities to lack lesbians bars.

But there’s still Blush and Blu, which has weathered the storm since 2012 at the hands of Jody Bouffard, who recently brought aboard Denver newcomer and experienced lesbian bar owner S.J. Paye.

“The lesbians supported the bars. They were very much hardcore supporters,” Bouffard said of the mid-1990s and 2000s. “But I still feel there’s a need for a place for women to go where they feel safe and they can feel they’re among a tribe. Like, this is still our tribe.”

The Last Lesbian Bar Standing in Denver

Transgender Principal Comes Out to His School

As his medical transition to male progressed, Asa Sevelius, a Boston-area school principal, could no longer hide the truth from his students. On Wednesday, he made the decision to come out as transgender and be “my most authentic self.”

He announced the news in an email to the Heath School community, a public school serving grades K-8 in Chestnut Hill, Mass.

“I work with almost 600 kids every single day and I need them to not exist in some weird, confusing place, but to really be able to be brought along in a way that is developmentally appropriate for them and not to be surprised when changes to my body occur — my voice deepens, for example, or I’m suddenly able to have a mustache when I’m greeting them at the front door,” Sevelius tells WBUR.

Sevelius knew for almost all of his 45 years that he was meant to be male, not female. He had the support of his parents as he chose to cut his hair short and wear boy’s clothes, but growing up in Georgia, he had trouble fitting in with the community and struggled to understand why he was different.

Transgender Principal Comes Out to His School

Asexuality is Slowly Finding Its Way Into the Light

It took a long time for Kenny Starling (left) to realize she identified as asexual.  “I didn’t actually start really considering that I was asexual until about the first year of university, but I was in hardcore denial … our society is so hyper-sexualized and I didn’t feel like being a freak — or as I put it back then, a minority within a minority.”

A sociology student who works as the University of Saskatchewan Students’ Union Pride Centre co-ordinator on campus, Starling said at first she felt very uncomfortable labelling herself with a term she barely understood. Initially she didn’t even know asexuality existed within the LGBTQ spectrum — it was only after her best friend brought the term to her attention that it really clicked.  It felt “both relieving and terrifying,” she said.

“We don’t know as much as we should,” said Dr. Todd Morrison, a U of S psychology professor who specializes in human sexuality. “For the longest time, asexuality was accorded minimal legitimacy as a sexual identity.”   Many asexual people were believed to have not yet met ‘the one’ or were considered to be in denial, Morrison said.  “The only person I had a hard time coming out to was my mom,” Starling said. “Not because she wasn’t accepting, but because she had all these questions that are pretty stereotypical of someone who is asexual, like: ‘Are you sure?’ Is it your hormones?’ Just all the classic things like that — all the myths came out.  “I decided we were going to just stop talking about it and I gave her some pamphlets. After that she told me ‘I understand it, I accept you.’ “

Morrison says it’s difficult to determine how many people throughout the world identify as asexual, but the most common estimate — identified by Brock University professor Anthony Bogaert, a known leader in the field of asexuality research — is one per cent.

Asexuality is Slowly Finding Its Way Into the Light

How To Be A Straight Ally During Pride Month

If you are interested in being a supporter, but may not consider yourself part of the community, you may be wondering the best way to go about acting as a straight ally during this month.  Well, being straight doesn’t preclude you from joining in on the festivities.

Just because you’re straight doesn’t mean you can’t celebrate Pride and everything it represents. Many of us stick to the sidelines during events, as we may be worried about stepping on the community’s toes, or don’t feel informed enough to contribute.  Neither of those things, however, should prevent straight allies from celebrating with the LGBTQIA+ community throughout Pride month.

Below, you’ll find several ways to assist you in being the best straight ally you can be during Pride (and well… all the time).

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 09:00:33 PM »

Tuesday, June 20th, 2017

Read About Indra Arriaga's Experience at The Lammys

The evening of the 29th Lambda Literary Awards or Lammys, June 12, 2017, was a highly anticipated event for almost two dozen Alaskan writers and the people who love them because for the first time in history, an Alaskan LGBTQ anthology made it as a finalist for the Best LGBTQ Anthology category. The Lambda Awards are the Oscars of the LGBTQ literary world, complete with fabulous hosts and presenters, a red carpet, and free-flowing booze.  Awards are given in a number of categories and special awards are given to a couple of literary rock stars. This year the Visionary Award was given to Jaqueline Woodson for her work, which breaks down racial barriers through lyrical fiction and nonfiction that reaches across generations.  One of the highlights of the night was the Trustee Award presented to Jeanette Winterson who over the last 30 years has helped millions of queer and straight folks alike find their voice and nurture imagination to continue the hard work of moving social change forward, also her books are Par Excellence in every way.  So there we were, a contingent of a half dozen Alaskan contributors in NYC, sitting third row and center waiting to see if “Building Fires in the Snow” would bring home a coveted Lammy. 

Read About Indra Arriaga's Experience at The Lammys

Billboard Magazine's Top 50 Gay Anthems

What makes a song a gay anthem? Like the LGBTQ community, our soundtrack is vast and diverse. There are the obvious dance classics with big-voiced divas. There are also the soul-searching slow jams that mirror our struggles with self-acceptance and social rejection. There are viral sensations that caught our attention, but also underground tracks that some of us haven't discovered yet. While it's impossible to pinpoint exactly what makes a song "gay," this list definitely isn’t straight.

For the sake of diversity, artists were only allowed one song on this list.

So click the link and see how Billboard music reporters rated 50 songs that mean so much to the gay community, and see where they placed songs by Pet Shop Boys, Bronski Beat, RuPaul, Indigo Girls, k.d. Lang, Madonna, Weather Girls, and many others.

Billboard Magazine's Top 50 Gay Anthems

Keith Powers in Hot Water

Keith Powers quickly became a fan favorite among the cast in the hugely successful New Edition Story, and while he's stayed away from controversy throughout his budding career, thus far, he was hit with a bit of criticism lately for some comments he made on Hollywood Unlocked about his views on bisexuality.

It all started when the 24-year-old was asked to reveal the most ridiculous rumor he has heard about himself since making it big.

After explaining that he was once labeled bisexual by a "troll page," he went on to say that he does not believe men can fit within that particular group, saying, "There's such thing as bisexual for men? I think you're either gay or you're straight, personally."

Keith Powers in Hot Water

Police Officer Hailed a Hero

Capitol Police Officer Crystal Griner was one of two officers wounded when a gunman opened fire on a baseball field in Alexandria, Va., where Republican lawmakers were practicing for a charity game.

Griner, who was shot in the ankle, and officer David Bailey, who sustained minor injuries, were working as part of House Majority Whip Steve Scalise's security detail. Both officers have been released from the hospital, and Capitol Police Chief Matthew Verderosa said Griner is now in “good condition.”

In the aftermath of the shooting, which left the gunman dead and several others wounded, including Rep. Scalise of Louisiana, details have emerged about the two officers and their actions during the deadly shootout.

One detail that was not lost on members of the LGBTQ community, was that one of their own — Officer Griner — emerged a hero following the deadly assault.

Police Officer Hailed a Hero

Army Moves Forward on Transgender Training

The Army is preparing to integrate transgender soldiers in the service, despite an indefinite hold on the decision to permit transgender individuals to serve in the armed forces.

The Defense Department is working to meet a July 1 deadline that was determined in an integration timeline last June when it lifted the ban on transgender service. Both the active and reserve forces were intended to open enlistments and commissions this July.

Members of the Army Reserve and Army National Guard have been told how the transition policy will impact their individual situations, according to the Army Times.

However, the Defense Department has not presented a final policy for transgender individuals and there are some indications from the Trump administration that it may roll back the Obama-era policy allowing transgender service members.

Army Moves Forward on Transgender Training

Portugal Will Ban Surgeries on Intersex Babies

Portugal has announced that it will ban surgery on intersex babies.  If surgery is performed then young children can be left with scarring, torn tissue, loss of natural hormones, a lack os sexual sensitivity and sterilisation.

Intersex babies are born with both female and male genitalia.  They have surgery to “normalise” their reproductive organs and genitals.

Portugal follows Malta, which became the first country to ban unnecessary surgery on intersex children in 2015.  Amnesty International denounced the invasive surgical practice as a violation of human rights.  The report found that the surgery is often done despite it not being an emergency.  The irreversible surgery “may violate human rights, including the rights of the child, the right to physical and bodily integrity and the right to the highest attainable standard of health,” the report stated.

Portugal Will Ban Surgeries on Intersex Babies

If you are interested in being a supporter, but may not consider yourself part of the community, you may be wondering the best way to go about acting as a straight ally during this month.  Well, being straight doesn’t preclude you from joining in on the festivities.

Just because you’re straight doesn’t mean you can’t celebrate Pride and everything it represents. Many of us stick to the sidelines during events, as we may be worried about stepping on the community’s toes, or don’t feel informed enough to contribute.  Neither of those things, however, should prevent straight allies from celebrating with the LGBTQIA+ community throughout Pride month.

Below, you’ll find several ways to assist you in being the best straight ally you can be during Pride (and well… all the time).

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 05:24:01 AM »
(June 27th Edition - Under Construction)

Tuesday, June 27th, 2017

David Harbour Almost Quit Hollywood

David Harbour may come off as a gruff, tortured guy trudging through his spooky workday as Police Chief Jim Hopper in Netflix’s sleeper hit, “Stranger Things.” But in real life the actor is engaging, charming and ready to spill the beans on Season 2 of the sci-fi series (which returns in October), the “horrible” kids he had to work with and how his interpretation of “Hellboy” will be darker than Ron Perlman’s portrayal of the comic book character.

Here are several highlights from his Envelope Emmy Contenders chat in The Times’ video studio.

He binge-watched Season 1 of ‘Stranger Things’ at the same time as everyone else.

“I couldn’t stop watching. ... I knew what was coming, but I will say I got lost in it to the point where — and this is sad and pathetic — I was on my couch in the East Village watching the scene where I’m saving Will and I’m crying on my couch, going, ‘He saved that little boy.’ I forgot completely that it was me, that I was involved in the show. … I was just drunk on [creators Matt and Ross] Duffer magic. I love the show and I’m so rarely proud of things that I do. I see all the flaws [in my work]. It really is those creators and directors that are true geniuses … they just elevate it.”

David Harbour Almost Quit Hollywood

Trump, June, and One Glaring Omission

Here’s a list of things that US president Donald Trump has proclaimed June 2017:

Great Outdoors Month,  National Caribbean-American Heritage Month,  African-American Music Appreciation Month,  National Ocean Month,  National Home Ownership Month

You might notice one missing. As June draws to a close—with a weekend of celebrations of sexual diversity and LGBTQ rights across the US—the Trump White House has yet to formally recognize Pride.

That may not seem surprising: The GOP platform has a long history of being anti-gay. But speaking from the floor of the Republican National Convention last July, then candidate Trump made a direct appeal to America’s LGBTQ community.

“As your president, I will do everything in my power to protect our LGBTQ citizens from the violence and oppression of a hateful foreign ideology,” Trump said, to applause. “As a Republican, I’m so happy to hear you cheering for what I just said.”

Trump, June, and One Glaring Omission

A New Pop Music Argument - Halsey vs. Demi Lovato

In a new interview with Paper magazine, Make this: Halsey got honest about her feelings on how bisexuality is exploited in the music scene. She even seemed to indicate which of today's pop stars are guilty of doing it: Demi Lovato and Katy Perry.

"There's bi-phobia from the straight community and from the LGBT community. There's a lack of acceptance," Halsey, who is bisexual herself, explained to Paper. "It happens in TV all the time when people write bisexual characters as going through a phase or struggling with something. It's part of some mental breakdown or rebellion storyline, and that just sucks."

Halsey says bisexuality as a taboo extends to pop music, agreeing with the interviewer when they suggested that the closest thing to queer representation in pop songs is when they're "sung by straight women, and they're more about experimental hookups."

"Oh, yeah. Bisexuality as a taboo. 'Don't tell your mom' or 'We shouldn't do this' or 'This feels so wrong but it's so right,'" Halsey said, getting pretty specific.

A New Pop Music Argument - Halsey vs. Demi Lovato

Chicago Lesbian March Bans Jewish Pride Flag

Organizers of a Chicago lesbian march banned rainbow flags bearing the Star of David, also known as the Jewish Pride flag, from their event held Saturday because some marchers claimed it made them "feel unsafe."

Chicago's "Dyke March" has been held since 1995, and Jewish marchers have not previously been banned for expressing their Jewish identity. However, the march's organizers have increased their focus on far-left political causes such as anti-Zionism, and this year its "pro-Palestinian" stance has justified censoring Jewish expression.

Rainbow American flags were also censored as "signs of oppression," according to the Windy City Times.

Chicago Lesbian March Bans Jewish Pride Flag

Transgender Firefighter Marches as NYC Pride Parade Grand Marshal

When Brooke Guinan joined the New York City Fire Department in 2008 she publicly presented herself as a man. She had no idea that on Sunday she'd be one of the NYC Pride Parade's grand marshals while identifying as a transgender woman.

Guinan began identifying as a transgender woman in 2011, three years into her firefighting career at FDNY. She first came out as a gay man at a young age, but began to question her gender identity in college.

Before joining the department, Guinan was unsure what her professional life would look like.  Despite being a third generation firefighter Guinan did not think there was a place for LGBTQ people in the male-dominated fire department.

Transgender Firefighter Marches as NYC Pride Parade Grand Marshal

Mom of Genderqueer Teen Writes Touching Email

Last week we ran a great photo spread of Isaac Gotterer a Wesleyan University student and former high school soccer captain, which showed them in a pink sports bra, a black dress and heels lifting weights to make a point about gender and identity.

“I identify as genderqueer,” Gotterer said, “which means, for me, I identify outside the gender binary. I don't feel like a man or women or anything in between and I never have."

The photos and essay touched the mother of a 13-year-old who is struggling with their identity. She allowed us to reprint her email to Gotterer as long as we omitted her name.

Hi,

As mom to a genderqueer kid who frequently doubts themself and fears expressing their true self publicly, I want to thank you and applaud you for both doing this photo shoot and also for being you!I showed the article and photos to my child. I can't explain both the excitement and calm that came over him.

They are 13 years old and AMAB (he/him or they/them). To see themself represented in such a powerful and positive way is so important and empowering.

Mom of Genderqueer Teen Writes Touching Email

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 12:47:22 PM by killersmom »

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 11:24:41 PM »

Tuesday, July 11th, 2017

Ang Lee’s ‘Gemini Man’ Gets 2019 Release Date

Paramount, Skydance and Jerry Bruckheimer Films have set Ang Lee’s science-fiction actioner “Gemini Man,” starring Will Smith, for an awards-season release date of Oct. 4, 2019.

Skydance came on to the project, which has been in development for two decades, last year. Jerry Bruckheimer, Skydance chief David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Don Granger are producing. Don Murphy and Chad Oman are executive producing.

Lee became attached to the project in April. His most recent film was “Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk,” for which he used an unprecedented shooting and projection frame rate of 120 frames per second — five times faster than the normal rate of 24 frames per second. He won Academy Awards for directing “Brokeback Mountain” and “Life of Pi,” and was nominated for “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.”

Smith will next be seen starring opposite Joel Edgerton in the futuristic police thriller “Bright,” set for a December release by Netflix.

Ang Lee’s ‘Gemini Man’ Gets 2019 Release Date

As More Teams Host Gay Pride Events, Yankees Remain a Holdout

On a recent Saturday night at Citi Field, the Mets rolled out the red (and orange, yellow, green, blue and violet) carpet for the gay community. The Coca-Cola sign in the outfield was lit up in rainbow colors. The Kiss Cam was filled with same-sex couples smooching. The color guard carried a rainbow flag. And gay officers from the New York and Nassau County Police Departments were honored, as was a gay war veteran.

The Mets are hardly alone in offering such welcoming gestures. The N.B.A. had its own float, with Commissioner Adam Silver aboard, in the Pride March in Manhattan last month. That same day, the Cubs’ World Series trophy — draped in a rainbow flag — rode on a float in Chicago’s parade. And many sports teams, including a large majority in baseball, have hosted gay-themed events.

But one team that has not done so is the Yankees, even though their city helped give birth to the modern gay rights movement.

That most teams have chosen to stage a pride day or night at their ballparks is not surprising, because thematic promotions to draw fans have long been part of baseball’s culture.

As More Teams Host Gay Pride Events, Yankees Remain a Holdout

Society Must Come to Terms With Bisexual Male Identity

As a bisexual male who’s been asked if I’m “gay yet” or whether I’m “over that bi thing,” I acknowledge how blessed I am to have a partner who unquestioningly accepts me and my attraction to both genders. Bisexuality is not a passing trend. It does not mean that you are mentally ill. You are simply wired that way or you are not.

My gay friends are understanding, but some cannot relate, while many straight women I’ve dated find a bisexual male “confused” or “disgusting.” This has lead me to feel that being a bisexual male is less accepted and understood than being gay or even being a bisexual woman.

The problem with surveying males—especially married males—to discover if they are bisexual is that society’s conception of sexuality undermines our collective understanding of what masculinity is. Therefore, these men are less likely to admit their true orientation. I’d guess that the number of bisexual males in a heterosexual relationship is easily 40 percent or more. Unfortunately, there is no way to truly quantify my theory and I am basing this notion on my own discussions with married men.

Society Must Come to Terms With Bisexual Male Identity

8 Things Lesbians Think About Lesbian Porn

Ah yes, lesbian porn: a cornerstone of the porn industry and also the reason that many lesbians don’t watch porn. It’s a fact of science that lesbian porn is made for straight men, despite being called, you know, “lesbian” porn. Of course there is a ton of great queer lady porn out there for queer ladies, but that’s not the subject of my investigation (investigaytion) (sorry). What I’m talking about is the stuff that comes up when you type “lesbian” into Pornhub, or HBO Go’s bizarrely accessible “Late Night” section that I accidentally click on like once a week. I think we could all agree that mainstream lesbian porn — even if some lesbians enjoy it which I’m sure they do — is just overall kind of like: Why?

Lesbians treat lesbian porn probably like a person from Italy treats Sbarro: some actually like it, some will only take part when they’re lonely or sad, but most stay clear at all costs because they’ve got much better back home. And while I don't speak for all lesbians, here are some thoughts lesbians would have if they watched lesbian porn. Which most don’t, to be clear, in case I wasn’t already:

8 Things Lesbians Think About Lesbian Porn

Washington Anti-Transgender Campaign Fails for Second Year

For the second year in a row, conservatives in Washington have failed to collect enough signatures supporting their initiative to overturn the state’s transgender nondiscrimination protections.
Friday was the deadline for “Just Want Privacy,” the anti-trans coalition led by the Family Policy Institute of Washington, to submit about 260,000 valid signatures that would place their initiative on the ballot. The campaign boasted that it collected 240,000 signatures, which is 20,000 more than their 2015 effort, but still not enough to qualify.

In fact, this is still probably far shorter than it sounds, as most campaigns submit far more than the minimum required number because many signatures get deemed invalid (fake signatures, redundancies, people not registered to vote in the state, etc.). Last year, for example, Just Want Privacy aimed to collect 300,000 signatures, so despite claiming that they had learned lessons from last year’s failure, they seemingly set their goals lower this year, not higher.

Washington Anti-Transgender Campaign Fails for Second Year

What It Really Means to Identify as Asexual in 2017

Asexuality—defined as "a lack of sexual attraction to others or lack of interest in sex"—used to be a pretty obscure orientation, but it's recently become better understood, thanks to some accurate and warm pop culture portrayals. Just last year, Netflix affectingly portrayed asexual character, Todd Chavez (voiced by Aaron Paul), on BoJack Horseman, and in 2014, Sirens—a show about EMTs in Chicago on the USA Network—included an asexual character, tackling the tricky topic of how an asexual person has a successful relationship with a sexual person.

For Beth Damiano, a 28-year-old actress who lives in Los Angeles, greater awareness means greater acceptance, both in her community and when it comes to understanding her own sexuality. “The growing acknowledgment that asexuality exists is such a good thing,” she tells Glamour. “I spent years and years thinking that maybe I was just wired wrong, but now I realize I’m just wired a little differently, but I'm not wrong.”

Damiano is one among the estimated one percent of the population—that’s 75 million people in the United States—who self-identifies as asexual. The Florida-native first came out as bisexual in her teens because she’s romantically inclined toward both genders, but the act of sex always left her lukewarm. “It wasn't terrible," she says. "It didn't hurt or make me feel bad. It was just kind of, like, meh.”

What It Really Means to Identify as Asexual in 2017

I'm Straight - Here's Why I Volunteer at Pride in London

When you think of Pride in London, the first thing that pops into your mind probably isn’t volunteers. Yet despite being the capital’s third biggest event, it is led by volunteers. It’s actually the biggest volunteer-run event in London.

It takes a team of more than 1,000 people to make Pride in London happen - some just for the day, others all year round. There’s all the logistics for the event - putting up barriers, staging, cleaning - but also behind the scenes work: liaising with residents, businesses, emergency services and much more. These are just a couple of examples but there are so many roles to choose from.

As a straight ally, people often wonder why I do it; why do I give up so much time to something that could be seen as “not my cause”?

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 10:36:51 PM »

Tuesday, July 25th, 2017

Anne Hathaway to Star in Indie Sci-Fi Film O2

While Anne Hathaway donned a spacesuit in director Christopher Nolan’s 2014 sci-fi drama Interstellar, the actress will soon find herself back in a futuristic, self-contained, pressure-sealed situation, specifically a cryogenic chamber. She’s booked to star in a sci-fi film called O2; a project that’s expediting its production.

According to Deadline, Anne Hathaway will star in O2, a film from indie studio IM Global, sporting a tight $10 million budget. The film is being described as a “self-contained thriller with sci-fi elements,” akin to more deliberately-paced, claustrophobic cinematic offerings such as the 2013 Sandra Bullock-starring space-exiled drama Gravity and the 2010 Ryan Reynolds-starring, coffin-confined thriller Buried. Thus, O2 seems to be a starring role for Hathaway focused entirely on her performance. In this case, Hathaway plays a woman who wakes up in a cryogenic chamber, without any memory of where she is or how she ended up there. With oxygen rapidly depleting, she must make her escape imminently.

Anne Hathaway to Star in Indie Sci-Fi Film O2

Berlin Gay Pride Revelers Mark Legalization of Same-Sex Marriage

Thousands of marchers flooded the streets of Berlin for the annual Christopher Street Day parade on Saturday in support of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender rights.

No doubt this year's event will be particularly sweet for those celebrating pride as it comes just weeks after German lawmakers voted to legalize same-sex marriage in the country.

The bill passed convincingly by 393 votes to 226 allowing Germany to join the club of over 20 countries -- including France, Denmark, Spain and the UK -- where same-sex marriage is already legal.

German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier finalized the process by signing the "marriage for all" bill on Thursday with the legislation due to take effect from October 1, German public broadcaster Deutsche Welle reported.

Berlin Gay Pride Revelers Mark Legalization of Same-Sex Marriage

Bisexual Archie Comics Character Joins “Riverdale”

Throw another burger on the grill, Pop! Riverdale is welcoming a new resident.  Executive producer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa has confirmed that Archie Comics character Toni Topaz is joining the CW drama in season 2, ET Online reports.

Aguirre-Sacasa describes the TV version of the character as a Southside High student and member of the Southside Serpents who’s known for her pink hair and big appetite. “She’s always been very, very vivacious, exciting, and a bit of a disrupter,” says the showrunner.

As “a friend and confidant to Jughead Jones,” Toni might specifically disrupt Jughead’s relationship with Betty, he hints.  Toni, who is strongly hinted to be bisexual in the comics, will be played by Canadian actress Vanessa Morgan of MTV’s The Shannara Chronicles. Aguirre-Sacasa says that the character’s bisexuality “is something that we’re going to explore.

Bisexual Archie Comics Character Joins “Riverdale”

Lesbian Singer's Archive Captures Pre-Internet Gay Life

The archive of lesbian musician Gretchen Phillips, co-founder of the trailblazing band Two Nice Girls, sheds light on what it was like to be gay in the 1980s – before the internet helped create communities and at a time when gay lives were rarely visible.

Now part of Cornell University Library’s Human Sexuality Collection, the video recordings of Phillips’ shows, reviews and news articles, fan mail and more that Phillips collected over three decades will be available to researchers interested in everything from late 20th-century music to popular perceptions of sexuality.

Phillips’ archive provides a comprehensive account of her musical career, from her 1981 arrival in Austin’s punk scene and her first visit to the Michigan Womyn’s Music Festival to ongoing work, including an appearance as a zombie lesbian folksinger for Killjoy’s Kastle, a lesbian haunted house in Toronto in 2013 and in Los Angeles in 2015.

Lesbian Singer's Archive Captures Pre-Internet Gay Life

Minnesota Adopts 'Transgender Toolkit' for Teachers

The Minnesota Department of Education approved a transgender toolkit that lets male students who identify as girls use the girls bathroom.

"A policy that requires an individual to use a bathroom that does not conform to his or her gender identity punishes that individual for his or her gender nonconformance," the document reads, quoting a court case.

The toolkit also advises teachers to refer to students as "scholars" rather than girls or boys, and the prom king and queen as "prom ambassadors."  "Schools should not assume a student's name or pronoun," the toolkit says.

The guidelines were approved by the "School Safety Technical Assistance Council" last Wednesday.

Minnesota Adopts 'Transgender Toolkit' for Teachers

Spare Intersex Kids Needless Surgeries

As a physician, I’ve spent a lot of energy lately making calls to members of Congress to protect my patients’ ability to get the surgery they need, when they need it.

At the same time, I’m celebrating the clear-eyed vision of three former surgeons general, who are calling for doctors to stop performing surgery on people who don’t need it: intersex children, who are born with bodies that don’t fit neatly into typical male or female boxes.  As much as 1.7% of the population is estimated to have intersex traits, while newborns’ genitals get medical attention in an estimated one in 2,000 births.

For decades, intersex people have suffered deeply harmful and medically unnecessary genital surgeries, performed in infancy and without their consent, despite the fact that these surgeries can almost always be delayed until the intersex individual can participate in the decision-making process.

Spare Intersex Kids Needless Surgeries

Do Straight People Deserve to be Classified as Gay Icons?

Billboard declared Ariana Grande ‘the gay icon of her generation,’ and the internet’s divided.  Whether you love her music or not, there’s no doubt Grande is a huge supporter of the LGBTI community.  Her unconditional love for her gay brother matched with her continued fight for equality across the board is truly inspiring.

But just because she’s straight, does that mean she’s disqualified as a gay icon?  Numerous viral tweets in response to the original tweet seem to think so.  One read: ‘Wow, that’s so progressive I’m so happy to be living in a world where a fucking straight girl can be a gay icon.’

Another tweeted: ‘Rather than recognizing a straight woman as your gay icon, here is a list of some LGBT artists that can be your gay icon instead.’  They then listed LGBTI artists and celebrities, like Troye Sivan, Adam Lambert, Halsey and Frank Ocean.

Do Straight People Deserve to be Classified as Gay Icons?

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 10:47:16 PM by killersmom »
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 10:04:34 PM »

Tuesday, August 1st, 2017

‘Better Than Brokeback Mountain’

Gay love story God’s Own Country is being heralded as ‘better than Brokeback Mountain.  The film follows Johnny, an angry, lonely young man relying on alcohol and casual sex, who lives on a farm in North England with his father and grandmother.  His life changes when Gheorghe, a Romanian migrant, is hired to work on the farm for the season.

Johnny is played by Josh O’Connor from Riot Club and Peaky Blinders, and Gheorghe by Alex Secareanu.  It is Secareanu’s first English-language role.  The Metro called it “a ravishing film that brings a poetic beauty to a harsh environment, and the characters are fascinatingly complex”.  The film has been compared to Brokeback Mountain, the 2005 film starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal as shepherds in the American West, who fall in love in the 1960s

The Guardian’s Peter Bradshaw called it “almost – but not quite – a Dales Brokeback,” similar in its poignant tone, though with a different context.

‘Better Than Brokeback Mountain’

Jeff Sessions,  Gay Workers, and Yet Another Lie

Donald Trump is angry with Jeff Sessions for recusing himself in the Russia collusion investigation. But that hasn’t stopped Trump from giving Sessions carte blanche to enforce his brutal hard-right agenda ― one reason why, in fact, conservatives have defended Sessions against Trump’s attacks ― and that includes what are clearly his plans to dismantle LGBTQ rights.

The reason Sessions had to recuse himself from the Russia investigation, of course, is because it became known that he had several meetings with Russian officials during the election, while serving in the Trump campaign, though he claimed during his confirmation hearings that he hadn’t ever met with such officials.

But now we know that’s not the only thing Sessions lied about.

In his opening statements back in January, Sessions said, ”I understand the demands for justice and fairness made by our LGBT community.” He vowed to “ensure ... protecting their rights and their safety,” which he said would be “fully enforced.”

Jeff Sessions,  Gay Workers, and Yet Another Lie

Halsey is Releasing a Bisexual Love Song

Pop star Halsey has announced that her next single will be a bisexual love song – and fans are extremely excited.  The 22-year-old US singer, who is out as bi, made headlines earlier this year when she revealed Strangers, a haunting break-up duet with Fifth Harmony singer Lauren Jauregui.

She also had the perfect response when her record label asked if she wanted to collaborate with straight singer Katy Perry for the track.  According to Halsey, she said: “I’m not putting an artist on this song unless they’re f***ing gay.”

Halsey has now revealed that the second track she’ll release off the Hopeless Fountain Kingdom album will be "Bad At Love", another song about same-sex relationships.   She spends the first verse singing about two of her opposite-sex relationships, then moves on to girls who she’s loved and lost.

Halsey released  her debut CD in 2015, and it was certified platinum.  Her recently released CD hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 200 chart, and the lead single ("Now Or Never") reached the Top 20.  She also was a featured vocalist on a song by The Chainsmokers  ("Closer") which spent twelve  weeks at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

Halsey is Releasing a Bisexual Love Song

Voters Love Lesbians

Like other minorities, L.G.B.T. people are seriously underrepresented in our country’s political offices.  But I’ve seen a few signs that one consonant in that cluster is especially well positioned to gain ground. Lesbians are on the march.

O.K., that probably overstates things. Let’s say they’re on a brisk crawl. But consider: The Victory Fund, which supports L.G.B.T. candidates nationwide in races ranging from school board to governor, recently crunched the numbers on how its 1,162 beneficiaries over the last decade fared, and the results are particularly positive for women.

The results are encouraging overall — and they’re a subtle ray of light following a dark week in terms of the Trump administration’s actions. Despite past statements of affinity with lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Americans, President Trump hastily announced a ban on transgender people in the military, and in court filings, his Justice Department went out of its way to enunciate the position that gay people are not protected by a federal civil rights law on employment discrimination.

Voters Love Lesbians

Trump’s Trans Troops Ban

How should Americans, the Pentagon, and the more than 2 million active duty and reserve service members interpret President Donald Trump’s order to purge the military of its transgender soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines? Particularly when this unprecedented order—both a ban and a purge—was conveyed not via the deliberative and thorough interagency process culminating in an executive order, but rather through a series of tweets that some in the Pentagon initially believed might be an announcement of war?

First, it’s worth putting these tweets in their proper context. Trump’s trans tweetstorm began, “After consultation with my Generals and military experts,” leading many to wonder: With whom, exactly, did the president consult?

I served in the Pentagon for over six years, ending the Obama administration as the chief of staff to Secretary of the Army Eric Fanning, where I was heavily involved in decisions related to taking care of the Army’s 1.4 million soldiers and civilians. I’ve seen up close how the White House and Pentagon are supposed to work together on high-profile policy decisions and announcements.

Trump’s Trans Troops Ban

What It Really Means To Be Gender-Fluid

There has been a lot of backlash surrounding a recent Vogue cover story and its attempt to represent gender-fluid identities. The article, “Gigi Hadid and Zayne Malik Are Part of a New Generation Embracing Gender Fluidity,”  tries to portray model, Gigi Hadid and former One Direction singer, Zayne Malik as “gender-fluid” after the couple revealed they enjoy borrowing each other’s clothes in an interview.

Here’s the thing: gender fluidity is NOT a fashion statement or a trend, but the Vogue article seemed to diminish it to that. According to CNN, gender fluidity is, “when gender expression shifts between masculine and feminine, can be displayed in how we dress, express and describe ourselves.”

In other words, it’s an identity.

What It Really Means To Be Gender-Fluid

Unlikely Force in the Gay Rights Movement

Most weekends, in stadiums across Australia, thousands of spectators line the stands to take in the Australian Football League. And on most weekends, they can see Sam Gilbert, a defender with the St. Kilda Saints, arrive for match day wearing a rainbow-striped gay pride beanie.

Mr. Gilbert, 30 (pictured left), epitomizes the modern A.F.L. player: tall and athletic — and mindful of equality. He’s straight, but he joins a pride march every year.

“I want to help,” he said after a recent practice. “I want to be a straight ally and be a voice.”

On Saturday, St. Kilda played in its second annual pride match: an awareness-raising game heavily featuring the signature pride rainbow, including on each player’s uniform. It is just one example of how the A.F.L. — one of the top sports leagues in the world in terms of average attendance, roughly on par with American baseball — has tried to present itself as a force for inclusion.

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 03:25:40 PM »

Tuesday, August 8th, 2017

Brokeback Mountain is Becoming a Stage Play

Brokeback Mountain is finally getting a stage adaptation in London.

Based on Annie Proulx’s 1997 short story of the same name, and likely also using much of the adaptation of the 2005 film, the play is an award-winning story about two gay cowboys.  Ennis del Mar, played by Heath Ledger in the film, and Jack Twist, played by Jake Gyllenhaal, have a 20-year love affair when being gay was not only disapproved but completely taboo.

The play’s official Twitter account posted a photo of the script, indicating production has now begun.

‘This week we are very excited to be in the workshop room with actors and creatives who are collaborating to bring to life the first ever stage play of Annie Proulx’s iconic Brokeback Mountain,’  executive producer Tom O’Connell told Attitude.

Brokeback Mountain is Becoming a Stage Play

Australia’s Ruling Party Refuses Vote on Gay Marriage Bill

Australia's ruling party on Monday rejected a push to allow lawmakers to decide whether the country should recognize gay marriage, continuing a bitter political stalemate over the divisive reform.

The conservative Liberal Party-led coalition was narrowly re-elected in July 2016 with a promise to let voters decide whether Australia should recognize same-sex marriage through a popular vote. But the Senate would not allow the so-called plebiscite, which would have cost 160 million Australian dollars ($127 million), and the result could have been ignored by lawmakers when deciding how to vote on gay marriage legislation in Parliament.

Liberal Sen. Dean Smith, a gay man who opposed legalizing same-sex marriage when he was appointed to the Senate in 2012, has drafted a bill to allow gay marriage now and wants his fellow Liberal lawmakers to be allowed to vote on it according to their consciences rather than according to party policy.

Australia’s Ruling Party Refuses Vote on Gay Marriage Bill

Aaron Carter Comes Out As Bisexual

Troubled singer Aaron Carter is getting lots of support from fans following his revelation that he is bisexual.  Carter shared in a note posted on Twitter over the weekend in which he made his announcement.

"There's something I'd like to say that I feel is important for myself and my identity that has been weighing on my chest for nearly half of my life," Carter wrote. "This doesn't bring me shame, just a weight and burden I have held onto for a long time that I would like lifted off me."

The 29-year-old went on to explain that at around the age of 13 he "started to find boys and girls attractive."

"There were years that went by that I thought about it, but it wasn't until I was 17-year-old, after a few relationships with girls, I had an experience with a male that I had an attraction to who I also worked with and grew up with."

Aaron Carter comes out as bisexual

Disney Breaks Ground, Introduces Interracial Lesbian Parents

Disney has introduced a multiracial two-mom family, voiced by lesbian actors.

On a recent episode of the Disney Channel show Doc McStuffins, Wanda Sykes and Portia de Rossi each voice doll-like lesbian mothers helping their children cope after an “earthquake” shakes up their house. The mothers, who are in a relationship, learn from titular character Doc McStuffins how to create an emergency earthquake kit to protect their family in the future.

The episode doesn’t necessarily focus on the lesbian mothers’ sexualities. Instead, their relationship is simply shown as a matter of fact. The scene has been hailed by GLAAD for its thoughtfulness and inclusive nature, paving the way for future representation of queer interracial families on TV.

“Children like mine deserve the chance to see their families reflected on TV, and this episode does just that in a beautiful and positive way,” GLAAD President and CEO Sarah Kate Ellis said. “Shows like this reflect our real world, and today that includes the many children being raised by gay and lesbian parents who are all going to celebrate this story.”

Disney Breaks Ground, Introduces Interracial Lesbian Parents

A Transgender 8-Year-Old Sues a Private School

Nicole Brar wants you to know her name, and that she deserves better.

The transgender 8-year-old girl and her parents are suing her former Orange County private school for allegedly preventing her from expressing her gender identity. She is choosing not to be a Jane Doe — as a young plaintiff, she could remain anonymous — because she feels strongly, according to her lawyers, about “fighting on behalf of her right to an education without discrimination.”

Her mother, Priya Shah, said the family thought long and hard before filing the lawsuit. “It honors our child's commitment to being who she is despite adversity,” she said in an email. “It is our small contribution toward ensuring that other transgender and gender expansive children do not go through the same hardship and trauma.”

A Transgender 8-Year-Old Sues a Private School

Genderqueer Hairstylist Provides a Safe Space for LGBTQ Youth in a Mobile Salon

The young, black transgender woman in hairstylist Madin Lopez’s chair used to hate getting her hair cut. Barbers always questioned her gender identity. They always cut her hair short. She’d always be disappointed.  But on a recent, sweltering afternoon, Lopez put a small plait across 23-year-old Kaityanna Phillips’ forehead. Phillips had been growing her hair out, and this was the first time it had ever been braided. She couldn’t stop running her hand over it.

“Coming here, the light comes back into me again,” Phillips said, sighing happily.  ‘Here’ is Lopez’s beige 1977 Airstream trailer-turned-barbershop parked on a bustling Hollywood street near the Los Angeles LGBT Center’s Youth Center.

Twice a month, Lopez — who is genderqueer, identifying neither as male nor female — gives free haircuts to dozens of young LGBTQ people, offering them a space where their identity is not only respected but also discussed openly.

Genderqueer Hairstylist Provides a Safe Space for LGBTQ Youth in a Mobile Salon

Most weekends, in stadiums across Australia, thousands of spectators line the stands to take in the Australian Football League. And on most weekends, they can see Sam Gilbert, a defender with the St. Kilda Saints, arrive for match day wearing a rainbow-striped gay pride beanie.

Mr. Gilbert, 30 (pictured left), epitomizes the modern A.F.L. player: tall and athletic — and mindful of equality. He’s straight, but he joins a pride march every year.

“I want to help,” he said after a recent practice. “I want to be a straight ally and be a voice.”

On Saturday, St. Kilda played in its second annual pride match: an awareness-raising game heavily featuring the signature pride rainbow, including on each player’s uniform. It is just one example of how the A.F.L. — one of the top sports leagues in the world in terms of average attendance, roughly on par with American baseball — has tried to present itself as a force for inclusion.

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 10:12:26 PM »

Tuesday, August 15th, 2017

Getting Up Close with Annie Proulx

The author of eight books, Proulx’s “The Shipping News” won her the Pulitzer Prize, the US National Book Award and the Irish Times International Fiction Prize.  A work of fiction about a reporter working for a newspaper in Northern Newfoundland, “The Shipping News” was adapted as a film of the same name.  Proulx’s story “Brokeback Mountain,” was made into an Academy Award-winning film.  The author took time recently to answer questions for “The Western Star” via e-mail.

Most people from this province know you for your novel “The Shipping News.” When did you first visit Newfoundland and which areas of the province did you spend time in?

Sorry, I don’t remember the specific year—sometime in the 1990s. I was living in Vermont. I was curious to see this place, in part because in graduate school at Sir George Williams University (now Concordia) I had been repulsed by the number of Newfie jokes I heard. I wondered what sort of place engendered such unpleasantries. And in those days I liked fishing more than I do now. A fishing pal came with me on the first trip. As the ferry entered Port-aux-Basques I suddenly fell blindly in love with the place for its beauty, its strangeness (to me), its smell of sea and forest and frying fish. On this and subsequent trips I spent most of my time on the west coast, from Port-aux-Basques to L’Anse-aux-Meadows.

Getting Up Close with Annie Proulx

Football Referee Just Came  Out

Last week in an interview with Sky Sports’s Jon Holmes, the English Football League referee Ryan Atkin came out as gay, making him the first professional official in UK football to do so.

The particular bubble of social media that I live in – think liberal avocado-eating gay-heavy London-centric outraged-left Remoaners – does sometimes skew my perception a little in terms of what is happening in the news, and how people are reacting to it. It turns out that, beyond what I hesitantly would call the “LGBT community”, there was quite a flaccid reaction to the news in general.

“Why is this even news?” said one person; “Can’t believe this is a headline” said another. I was quite surprised by this response. I agree with the Football Association’s head of refereeing Neale Barry when he says it is “an important moment” for football. To me, the relevance of this story is self-evident but I suppose if I were a cisgendered heterosexual person, it might be less so.

Football Referee Just Came  Out

How Bisexuals are Being Sidelined

Switch-hitter, licker of both sides of the stamp, or even just downright “greedy”. When you’re bisexual you’re used to being defined by your presumed sexual treachery.  Even the term bisexual, unlike gay or lesbian, has the sex act at its core: you can’t escape from the sense that our very presence on the streets is solely informed by our exploits between the sheets.  Of course, the reality is that bis want emotionally honest love and relationships, friendship, satisfying work, and good physical and mental health like everyone else.  But, as I have just found in Being Bisexual, a documentary I’ve made for the BBC World Service which airs today at 1.30pm, we are at risk of being seriously sidelined in the worldwide campaign for L, G and T rights.

Invisibility is a core problem.  Bisexuals are frequently told by gay and straight people alike that they are “lucky” to be able to forge an identity as heterosexual if they so choose and hide their same-sex attraction when it suits them.   But in countries such as Iran – as campaigner Sudaran of the country’s only Farsi-language bi website Dojensgara, whom I interviewed for the documentary helped me discover, it’s a homosexual act, not homosexual identity, that is punished with imprisonment and even death, meaning that bis face exactly the same threat – only without the same recognition of the problem.

How Bisexuals are Being Sidelined

Diners Refuse to Tip Lesbian Waitress

A waitress at a Buffalo Wild Wings franchise in Illinois said her “jaw dropped” when a family of five left behind a homophobic note written on their check instead of a tip.

Samantha Heaton said there was nothing unusual about her interaction with the family, who visited the Rockford, Illinois, restaurant Saturday ― that is, until she arrived to retrieve the check at the end of their meal.   The customer, Heaton said, had left behind a handwritten note in lieu of a tip, The Rock River Times reported.

“Can’t tip someone who doesn’t love Jesus,” read the alleged note, a snapshot of which can be viewed below. “Bad tatoo [sic].”

Heaton, who identifies as a lesbian and has been with her girlfriend for over three years, said neither her sexuality nor religion were discussed as she was serving the customers. As the note suggested, she believes it was her tattoo ― an equality sign in rainbow stripes ― that prompted the customer to draw those conclusions.

“It sucks not getting a tip, but not to get a tip because I’m gay in 2017 hurt just a little more,” Heaton, who said she was “shocked” to receive the note, told HuffPost. “What was written on my receipt wasn’t right, and I hope nobody else has to read that.”

Diners Refuse to Tip Lesbian Waitress

Military Pushes Back on Trump's Transgender Ban

Top members of the military are openly opposing President Trump’s move to ban transgender troops, breaking with their commander-in-chief on whether the policy is necessary.

Trump said on Thursday that he's doing the military “a great favor” by instituting the ban, but several service leaders don't see it that way.  Hours after Trump’s comments, recently confirmed Navy Secretary Richard V. Spencer said he will follow any order the president gives on transgender troops, but that “any patriot” should be allowed to serve.

“We will process and take direction of a policy that is developed by the [Defense] secretary [with] direction from the president and march out smartly,” Spencer told reporters Thursday night after visiting Naval Station Norfolk in Virginia.

“On a fundamental basis, any patriot that wants to serve and meets all the requirements should be able to serve in our military.”  The comments seem to break with the long-held understanding that service leaders are meant to stay within the chain of command and implement a president’s directives rather than speak out, according to a source close to top Pentagon officials.

Military Pushes Back on Trump's Transgender Ban

I was an Intersex Child Who Had Surgery

I was born with typically “male” XY chromosomes and internal testes instead of ovaries and a uterus, but my body developed to appear typically female.

My intersex condition was invisible until I reached puberty and failed to menstruate like other girls. On the advice of doctors at a major hospital, my parents agreed that I should have surgery to remove my healthy gonads, without my knowledge or consent.

My natural hormone production ceased, and I was forced onto hormone replacement therapy for the rest of my life. I was just 15. Doctors also recommended to my parents that I receive invasive surgery to create a more “typically” sized vagina — thankfully, my parents refused. I didn’t find out about any of this until I was 41 years old.

Intersex people like me — up to 1.7% of the population — are born with sex characteristics that do not fit typical definitions of male or female. I have androgen insensitivity syndrome. Because my body was resistant to androgens, including testosterone, in the womb, my natural hormones automatically converted into estrogen through a process called aromatization.

I was an Intersex Child Who Had Surgery

Straight Ally Shot Protecting Gay Cousin

A straight ally was shot and killed as he defended his gay cousin from a gunman in Lake Worth Florida on Saturday.  Witnesses heard the shooter, Nelson Hernandez Mena, yelling homophobic and hate speech before using the firearm, the arrest report states.

Another person was also injured during the shooting.

The mother of the deceased victim, 22-year-old Juan Cruz, says her son was killed trying to shield his cousin who was targeted for being gay.  It happened at Las Flores Restaurant near Lake Worth City Hall after a group of friends including Cruz and his cousin left the building. They also reported that Mena had been looking at them angrily while they were inside.

After the restaurant closed the group went outside and was approached by Mena who said, "If we were in my country, I'd kill all of you like rats”

Reports also say Mena didn’t stop there with the hate speech, saying “I hate you damned gays,  I'm going to kill you all here," before taking out a gun from his waistband.

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 12:35:11 AM »

Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017

Colorful Characters Take Readers Through Destruction of Forestland

When Rene Sel and Charles Duquet, immigrants from France, begin cutting logs in what in the late 17th century was known as New France, they hadn’t a clue that they were in the vanguard of generations of woodcutters — barkskins — who would destroy much of North America’s vast forests.

The two men were a different as pine and oak, and their stories and those of their descendants are told superbly by Annie Proulx ‘s ambitious “Barkskins.” In a sense, their stories are vehicles through which Proulx tells the larger story of the settlement of this continent and the destruction not just of its majestic woodlands for everything from ship masts to towns but the destruction of native cultures as well.

Both Sel and Duquet are looking for a better life and hire on as indentured servants. Sel works his three years and more in exchange for some land in eastern Canada. He marries a native woman — a Mi’kmaw — and their family struggles to adapt to a world that is changing faster than they can. They cope, via his skill with an ax, their hunting and fishing and Mari’s way of making something out of nothing. But there is never anything extra and the seasons are unforgiving.

Colorful Characters Take Readers Through Destruction of Forestland

Trudeau and Varadkar March in Pride Parade

Justin Trudeau marched with his Irish counterpart in Montreal's Pride parade on Sunday, marking the first time a foreign head of government has joined a prime minister in a Canadian Pride celebration.  Trudeau waved a rainbow flag and occasionally danced, while Irish leader Leo Varadkar walked beside him and waved to the crowds that lined the street.

At an earlier news conference, Trudeau highlighted the importance of working with foreign allies to continue the fight towards greater equality.

"For all that we celebrate here in Canada, there is a lot of work to do around the world, and we need to build up our allies and stand together strongly for rights, for opportunities and for the values we know unite our countries."

Trudeau and Varadkar March in Pride Parade

Anti-Same Sex Marriage Campaigners Accidentally Copy Bisexual Pride Flag

Supporters of LGBT equality have pointed out the logo chosen by a new Australian anti-same sex marriage campaign looks a lot like the bisexual pride flag.  The Coalition for Marriage, which consists of groups including the Marriage Alliance, the Australian Christian Lobby and the Christian Schools Association, is campaigning against equal marriage in the country.

It claims to give a voice to the “silent majority” and stand up for the “freedom of religion”.

Yet the group recently launched a campaign with a blue, purple and pink logo – the colours of the bisexual pride flag.  The flag, designed by activist Michael Page in 1998, was created to give the bisexual community its own symbol other than the gay pride rainbow flag. Same-sex marriage is not legal in Australia, but recent surveys have shown an increase in support for marriage equality.

Anti-Same Sex Marriage Campaigners Accidentally Copy Bisexual Pride Flag

Rabbi Leaves Bayit Yehudi Over Chairman's Lesbian Aide

A member of the Presidium of the Bayit Yehudi Party, Rabbi Yisrael Rosen, who was considered one of the most important rabbis in the religious Zionism movement, announced that he was resigning from the party because of the employment of a lesbian speaker by the Party chairman and Minister of Education, Naftali Bennett.

About a month ago, Yedioth Ahronoth reported that Brit Galor Peretz, media advisor to Minister Bennett, was raising her two children together with her female partner Adi.  Glor Peretz decided to come out as gay following the controversy that broke out after the state announced it would not allow single-parent couples to adopt children.

Her partner Adi wrote a moving post on Facebook, in which she said: "My name is Adi, and my love is called Brit. We have two children, one born exactly a month ago. Two children we chose to bring to the happy and good world. Two children we chose to build a family with. Two children can show you what a happy childhood looks like when you look into their eyes. When you look at them you see a home filled with smiles and confidence, a home filled with love and respect, a home filled with warmth and good words and optimism."

Rabbi Leaves Bayit Yehudi Over Chairman's Lesbian Aide

Transgender Pakistanis Win Legal Victories

Pakistan’s Parliament is poised to pass the nation’s first law recognizing transgender people as equal citizens and laying out penalties for discrimination and violence against them, a surprising victory for activists in a country with deeply conservative social views.  The Transgender Persons Protection of Rights bill, which community members and activists say has the support of all the major political parties, is expected to pass easily in Parliament in the coming weeks.

“We are overwhelmed by how supportive the state has been to this law — we have so much hope,” said Mehlab Jameel, 25, an anthropologist who identifies as a transgender person of feminine expression and helped draft the bill.

The draft law gives intersex people, eunuchs, transgender men and women and anyone whose gender identity or expression “differs from the social norms and cultural expectations based on the sex they were assigned at the time of their birth” the right to identify as a transgender person and enjoy the same rights as other men and women in Pakistan.

Transgender Pakistanis Win Legal Victories

ToppDogg’s Hansol Comes Out As Asexual

Boy group ToppDogg’s Hansol came out as asexual in an Instagram Live session on August 19.  During the live broadcast, the singer told his viewers, “I thought about this, and I’m asexual. I don’t like anyone. I only like myself.” He added, “I just like my friends and family.”

Asexuality is a type of sexual preference in which an individual is not attracted to any gender.

Hansol’s confession has been spreading throughout YouTube and social media, gaining support from many people.

Meanwhile, ToppDogg debuted in 2013 with mini album “Dogg’s Out.” Kim Sang Kyun from Mnet’s “Produce 101 Season 2” was also another member of ToppDogg. The group’s most recent release was their album “First Street” in November 2016.

ToppDogg’s Hansol Comes Out As Asexual

A straight ally was shot and killed as he defended his gay cousin from a gunman in Lake Worth Florida on Saturday.  Witnesses heard the shooter, Nelson Hernandez Mena, yelling homophobic and hate speech before using the firearm, the arrest report states.

Another person was also injured during the shooting.

The mother of the deceased victim, 22-year-old Juan Cruz, says her son was killed trying to shield his cousin who was targeted for being gay.  It happened at Las Flores Restaurant near Lake Worth City Hall after a group of friends including Cruz and his cousin left the building. They also reported that Mena had been looking at them angrily while they were inside.

After the restaurant closed the group went outside and was approached by Mena who said, "If we were in my country, I'd kill all of you like rats”

Reports also say Mena didn’t stop there with the hate speech, saying “I hate you damned gays,  I'm going to kill you all here," before taking out a gun from his waistband.

Brokie Gathering -  2017

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
... Kierkegaard