The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Call Me By Your Name - The Movie and Book  (Read 23501 times)

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
Re: Call Me By Your Name - The Movie and Book
« Reply #3330 on: May 17, 2018, 06:44:44 AM »

I'm glad that you are having a "longing-free" experience with CMBYN, Elena.
WISE UP

Ing Kräddi Böll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

"And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that."

Offline Gazapete

• Obsessed
« Reply #3331 on: May 17, 2018, 06:45:06 AM »
yes, especially with the map in the background

*nodding vehemently*

Offline Gazapete

• Obsessed
« Reply #3332 on: May 17, 2018, 06:50:02 AM »
I'm glad that you are having a "longing-free" experience with CMBYN, Elena.

But do you understand what I mean? I'm in love with the film and E and O, but what I feel is a longing for my own teen years? Which were relatively happy, hard at times, but I miss being young and carefree, and there is so much of that in this film. And they have a future, doesn't matter how they live them, but they have so many years before them to fall in and out of love. Ennis and Jack had none of that, they only had a couple of weeks, and we can't imagine a happy future for them because, well, Jack is gone.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3333 on: May 17, 2018, 06:59:11 AM »
WISE UP

Ing Kräddi Böll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3334 on: May 17, 2018, 06:59:37 AM »
But do you understand what I mean? I'm in love with the film and E and O, but what I feel is a longing for my own teen years? Which were relatively happy, hard at times, but I miss being young and carefree, and there is so much of that in this film. And they have a future, doesn't matter how they live them, but they have so many years before them to fall in and out of love. Ennis and Jack had none of that, they only had a couple of weeks, and we can't imagine a happy future for them because, well, Jack is gone.

I perfectly understand what you mean.
WISE UP

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #3335 on: May 17, 2018, 07:28:51 AM »
I’ve decided that now (20 years later, aged 37) Elio is a professor of piano and guitar, not too far from Oliver’s university...

To me it seems logical that he became some sort of "musical academic." That could account for his comment about living not too far from Oliver for some time, and also the purpose of his visit to some university.

(I don't remember if we're told it's the same university where Oliver teaches. That would certainly make for an interesting development, if Elio took a faculty position at the same university.)

Perhaps Elio is also a concert pianist. Teaching just pays the bills.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3336 on: May 17, 2018, 07:34:31 AM »
Perhaps Elio is also a concert pianist.

That would be great.

Or a jazz pianist.
WISE UP

Offline Lance

• Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3337 on: May 17, 2018, 07:37:17 AM »
It's funny, I don't really feel pained by CMBYN, nothing to do at all with what I felt after BBM. I see it as the natural end to a Summer love. Would I feel happier if they met again and got together? Sure, but it doesn't torture me as BBM did. Oh, oh, I hope you don't kick me out from here for that!

Expression of shock and amazement appears on face, and quickly turns stern whilst he suddenly stands dramatically and sweeps his pointing hand and finger up and away to the horizon, then freezes, again dramatically, in place, and looks all unforgiving like.

;)

I tend to be a bit overreactive.  :laugh:

Offline Gazapete

• Obsessed
« Reply #3338 on: May 17, 2018, 07:40:43 AM »
Expression of shock and amazement appears on face, and quickly turns stern whilst he suddenly stands dramatically and sweeps his pointing hand and finger up and away to the horizon, then freezes, again dramatically, in place, and looks all unforgiving like.

;)

I tend to be a bit overreactive.  :laugh:

Holy cow!! I felt it from here!

Offline Lance

• Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3339 on: May 17, 2018, 07:43:28 AM »
To me it seems logical that he became some sort of "musical academic." That could account for his comment about living not too far from Oliver for some time, and also the purpose of his visit to some university.

(I don't remember if we're told it's the same university where Oliver teaches. That would certainly make for an interesting development, if Elio took a faculty position at the same university.)

Perhaps Elio is also a concert pianist. Teaching just pays the bills.

If I recall correctly, it was Columbia where Oliver was a student and became a professor.

Even Pavarotti and Daniel Barenboim, with their enormously busy schedules, still gave masterclasses.

Offline Lance

• Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3340 on: May 17, 2018, 07:45:11 AM »

:) ^______^

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #3341 on: May 17, 2018, 08:04:16 AM »
It's funny, I don't really feel pained by CMBYN, nothing to do at all with what I felt after BBM. I see it as the natural end to a Summer love. Would I feel happier if they met again and got together? Sure, but it doesn't torture me as BBM did. Oh, oh, I hope you don't kick me out from here for that!

Of course not! I have a lot of respect for your opinions and emotions. Seriously.

No, what I felt after Brokeback was like nothing I’ve experienced before or since. As well as being so emotional I had physical symptoms: disrupted sleep, breathing too fast, crying easily.

But CMBYN and  “a natural end to summer love”... yes, that’s probably how I felt after seeing the film, but after reading the book I became aware that for Elio, and probably for Oliver too, it HADN'T ended, and it was still reverberating after all those years. And that’s why I want them to have another chance. It might not work, but it just could become a partnership for the rest of their lives.

And perhaps too I want it because Ennis and Jack couldn't have that.
There were only the two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawk's back and the crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below, suspended above ordinary affairs....

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #3342 on: May 17, 2018, 08:06:19 AM »

😁
There were only the two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawk's back and the crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below, suspended above ordinary affairs....

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3343 on: May 17, 2018, 08:17:58 AM »
Wonder when the film will show up on Netflix? Does anyone know?

Of course, me being a book person, I'm happy with just the book, but would like to see the film, eventually!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3344 on: May 17, 2018, 08:36:23 AM »
what I felt after Brokeback was like nothing I’ve experienced before or since. As well as being so emotional I had physical symptoms: disrupted sleep, breathing too fast, crying easily.

same here
WISE UP