The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Diner - Volume 36  (Read 7915 times)

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
Re: The Diner - Volume 36
« Reply #1965 on: February 14, 2018, 10:31:37 AM »
See you later, Jonn! Yeah, we're singing a bilingual mass tonight.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1966 on: February 14, 2018, 10:32:38 AM »
Yeah, I should go back to New Orleans for Mardi Gras now that I'm retired. The last time I was back for that was in 1976, so it's been a while!

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1967 on: February 14, 2018, 10:33:30 AM »
I just wonder, Linda, do those parents PAY you, or the other grandmother to keep the poor child? Or are you both doing it for FREE!! being family and all?? If you're doing it for FREE, you're saving them a BUNDLE of $$$$$$......don't you know it?

No I do it for free, Jonn. When they built their new house, they built a Mother-in-Law unit (unfortunately attached to the house and separated by a door) so I live here rent free, but do have to pay for other things related to living here. I take care of Lilia Monday-Wednesday and Friday, and have weekends off (most of the time) and her other grandmother has her Thursday and mostly reluctantly. Yes, I know how much I am saving them. A LOT! With the new baby coming, my duties will increase.
If you don't impact someone, then this is all a waste.
Chris Rosati
1971-2017

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1968 on: February 14, 2018, 10:33:52 AM »
Earl's heating up some steamed veggies now, I'll have some later on tonight.

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1969 on: February 14, 2018, 10:36:03 AM »
Yeah, I should go back to New Orleans for Mardi Gras now that I'm retired. The last time I was back for that was in 1976, so it's been a while!

If you ever do that, Fritz, I may just join you! I have never been to Mardi Gras anything!
Chris Rosati
1971-2017

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1970 on: February 14, 2018, 10:37:41 AM »
Chris Rosati
1971-2017

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1971 on: February 14, 2018, 10:43:17 AM »
Happy V-Day to you too, Linda!

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1972 on: February 14, 2018, 10:44:05 AM »
Back in 1976, just about every parade had the Bicentennial as its theme.

Offline Jenny

• Reads a lot
  • Obsessed
  • We're not obsessed, we're just intensely focused!
« Reply #1973 on: February 14, 2018, 11:34:41 AM »
Happy Valentine's Day, everyone! :)

Linda, I hope you aren't hurting yourself with all this running around. The new baby will certainly add to the Lilia demands, I'd think. It's more than just an inconvenience when her other grandmother can't take her right now. I don't suppose that the baby will make it more likely that she'll be more involved? When do you see the doctor again?

Hi Jonn. I hope you can find something that helps you stay asleep. I have a white noise machine with two settings: louder and softer. It helps me a lot with my tinnitus, but mine is less severe than yours.

Hey Fritz! I hope the singing goes well. I have never been in NO for Mardi Gras itself, just in the week after. It was a long time ago, but I liked the city as a place to visit. I suspect that the crowds, the drunkenness and the chaos of the day itself would be too much for me. What struck me funny is that in the hotel we stayed at there was a conference for social workers treating substance abuse and they had flyers out for all the clinics in NO. The French Quarter is right there nearby. I imagine they get a lot of new clients right after Mardi Gras.

I wonder what sort of themes they have now for the parades. That part sounds good. I did hear that NO had folks out collecting fallen beads so that they wouldn't block the storm drains: they get pounds and pounds of them every year.

I've got to go to class soon, so I'll see you all later.
Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love – time is eternity.

A friend is what the heart needs all the time.

Henry van Dyke

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1974 on: February 14, 2018, 12:08:51 PM »
Hey Jenny! Yeah, you're right about the beads! They used to be made out of glass, but that was a long time ago, now it's all plastic. People decorate trees with them and it looks good!

Actually, the place we usually went to watch the parades was up St Charles Avenue, closer to where they started, and it was much more family oriented there. No idea what it's like now. We did walk down to the Quarter, but the crowds were incredible. In the earliest years I can remember, the parades actually entered the French Quarter, but not since the late 50's.

https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2016/06/18/636018158489275838-1055359968_b7d4013ac81e31f37e7c3e15baaae618.jpg

http://s3.amazonaws.com/samexhibit/production/images/52770/b9ec2f0630d03006631b6cddd13c337795c9cce8_large.?1367184864

« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 12:56:02 PM by fritzkep »

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1975 on: February 14, 2018, 12:10:57 PM »
I've gotten a bit nostalgic and am using Google Street View to roam around New Orleans a bit. Some of the areas I haven't seen since the Storm hit.

Online dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1976 on: February 14, 2018, 01:44:41 PM »
Morning all
Deb, I hope your headache stays in yesterday, hopefully you had a good sleep.

Hi, Nancy.  The headache is much better today, thanks so much.

It did start to come back a little, after my appointment.  A friend had come over for lunch, and to work on puzzles, but he left after the second puzzle so I could take a nap for an hour or so this afternoon.  He may come back a little later, for a bit.

Hope you're doing okay.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Online dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #1977 on: February 14, 2018, 01:46:38 PM »
*RANT*
I thought I would have the half day off today and all of tomorrow, so I could just sit, but found out THIS MORNING that her other grandmother is getting her house painted and is not going to have Lilia at all, so there goes my days off!! I am beyond pissed!!
*END RANT*

>:(   >:(   >:(   >:(   >:(

GRRR from me too!
Jack's from Texas.

Online dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #1978 on: February 14, 2018, 01:50:08 PM »
It's the pits not being partnered, and having someone to rely on. Jonathan seemed to think I'd pop right back because he did at 20 when he had it done, but I keep trying to tell him I am 46 years older, and it takes fu**ing longer.

Kids seem to think parents are invincible, but they get older and aren't anymore.

I am so lucky to have someone to come over and look after me, if necessary.  Puzzle friend.  It's not like being partnered, but it's still someone I can often rely on, unless he has commitments elsewhere.

I am sorry that Jonathan is expecting so much of you, unrealistically.
Jack's from Texas.

Online morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #1979 on: February 14, 2018, 01:53:56 PM »
*RANT*
I thought I would have the half day off today and all of tomorrow, so I could just sit, but found out THIS MORNING that her other grandmother is getting her house painted and is not going to have Lilia at all, so there goes my days off!! I am beyond pissed!!
*END RANT*

How thoughtless!  Is she always like that?  You'd think she would have an idea that you might not be 100% yet, and need your regular days off.  Can you talk to her, or is she just oblivious to everyone but herself?  I'm sorry, Linda, I'd be furious and probably wouldn't keep it to myself...which probably wouldn't be a good thing, but that's just rude.
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."