The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 18327 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2018, 11:25:51 AM »

--Game Night

Game Night is the surprise of a movie in many a month, if you ask me. It's about a group of friends who
regularly have game nights and this time around Jason Bateman's brother Brooks, played by Kyle Chandler,
decides to up the ante, but things aren't what they seem.

The less said about comedies, in my opinion, the better, because they usually benefit from the element of
surprise, but I enjoyed the way the mix of slapstick, action, personal dialogue and absurdity were mixed
together and I thought the result was hugely entertaining, Each of the players in game night is allowed to
shine. The comedy is often outrageous, but quiet dialogue often is what makes you laugh out loud. I liked
that the creators of this film let you know immediately they wanted you to have a good time from the
opening credits, to the art directed look of the town that made it seem like a game board itself, to the
end credits segment.

As with most comedic films, I find they benefit from seeing them in a theater and not home alone.

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2018, 05:22:08 PM »
Today I have been to the movies with my son Jamie and his two little girls..Amelia and
Sophie to see "Peter Rabbit".

The animation was beautifully done....and everything was all so cute and picture perfect.
How we would want life to be for all the kiddies in the cinema and everywhere.

I love going to the cinema with my granchildren. They don't pick movies to pieces.
They either like it ...or not....which is fine by me !

And "yes" ...I enjoyed it too !!!!
Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2018, 07:03:58 PM »
As usual, I guess, TCM is running Easter Parade as I write this. I kind of have it on in the background. I'm catching up after being away for the weekend.

Immediately preceding, TCM showed King of Kings, with Jeffrey Hunter as Jesus. I'm sorry I wasn't home in time to watch that. I've seen only parts of it before, but I'd watch just about anything with Jeffrey Hunter in it.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2018, 10:44:14 AM »
^^^

I watch Easter Parade every year sometime in the spring, not necessarily Easter weekend!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2018, 11:05:49 AM »
--The African Queen

I hadn't seen this film in decades and some of us watched a restored version last night.
The cinematography and color in the restoration were top notch. I believe most know
this movie, so I don't need to comment on the plot. It's a grand Hollywood entertainment
with two of its most well known stars. It's always a bit weird at the start when you see a
movie with Humphrey Bogart in it that's in color.

Bogart won his only Academy Award for this film and it's quite deserved, even though many think
Brando should've won it for his signature performance in A Streetcar Named Desire.

In my knowledge, the film has always been popular and well thought of. I don't know anyone that
doesn't like it. Which makes it odd that it didn't garner a Best Picture nomination along with it's
nominations for Actor, Actress, Writing and Directing. No cinematography, either, which is even
more strange. The film Decision Before Dawn, which isn't well known or often seen, got two
nominations, one for editing and one for Best Picture, which seems quite odd. I've never seen it,
but the synopsis sounds intriguing enough. Has anyone else seen Decision Before Dawn?
The vagaries of Oscar nominations and winners, eh?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2018, 07:35:54 AM »
--The African Queen

In my knowledge, the film has always been popular and well thought of. I don't know anyone that
doesn't like it.

Got that right! Love it!

Whenever I watch it, I nearly fall out of my seat laughing at Kate singing "Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah" at the beginning of the film.  :D

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2018, 10:11:13 AM »
 ;D

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2018, 10:00:20 AM »

--A Quiet Place

90 minutes of pure edge of your seat tension.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2018, 11:32:13 AM »

--Ready Player One

I'm not a fan of "video game movies" -- not the ones based on video games, but ones that mostly are video games. The reason is
that there seem to be no stakes to me because it's a game, not something really happening to people. So why would one care about
any of it? This film tries to rectify that idea by having stakes in the game itself, but I wasn't really on board. There are some amusing
pop culture references that enhance the proceedings, including a great scene involving "The Shining," but the film goes on too long at
2 hrs. 20 mins. and it outstayed its welcome for me.

I also didn't think the lead actors were all that interesting, but then again, character development wasn't really the point of the film.
There's also a rather blatant message at the end of the film in some laughable dialogue akin to the one at the end of the Volcano movie
from twenty years ago that had everyone in stitches.

I will say that people who like and enjoy playing video games will probably be quite satisfied with this film. It's just my personal preferences
that weren't in line with this film. I'd say. Also, it's available to see in IMAX and 3-D!  I can't imagine that, it felt on overload to me already,
but I did not see it that way!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2018, 11:40:51 AM »

I am fortunate to see a lot of movies because I have friends who are SAG or BAFTA members who invite
me along as a guest. My SAG friend informed me that the new season, which usually starts the end of
May, is being postponed because the venue where the screenings are held, the DGA, is having it's theatre
renovated/remodeled and it's not re-opening until October!  :o  My first thought was not the movies I'd
miss, but all those lovely nights during the summer escaping the heat in the air conditioning for three
hours, and visiting with my friends!

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2018, 11:56:00 AM »
I love "The African Queen" too, I still have the VHS tape! My brother and I could recite dialogues still today,in Spanish, but still.

Había un viejo pescador
Que zarpó del puerto de Pimlico
Y cuando zarpó de Pimlico
El viento empezó a soplar

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2018, 01:05:59 PM »
I love "The African Queen" too, I still have the VHS tape!

I do, too!

Except I also have it on DVD, along with the rest of my favorite Hepburn movies.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2018, 02:29:14 PM »
^^^

Why is The Rainmaker so under-rated?  In the sense that it's rarely seen or
talked about when mentioning Hepburn.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2018, 02:43:07 PM »
Why is The Rainmaker so under-rated?  In the sense that it's rarely seen or
talked about when mentioning Hepburn.

Could it be that Lizzie Curry (I had to look that up) is simply not as memorable as Rose Sayre, Tracy Lord, or Eleanor of Acquitaine?

I think you could maybe ask why Desk Set seems to be shown so much. It's fun and I like it but it's no African Queen.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2018, 10:36:57 AM »
Heh!

Desk Set is one of my favorites!