The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II  (Read 8143 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II
« Reply #240 on: July 17, 2018, 10:14:09 AM »

Will be watching, our manager Dave Roberts, is managing the National League side.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #241 on: July 17, 2018, 12:05:15 PM »
Yay! A shame the game is on Fox.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #242 on: July 17, 2018, 01:05:48 PM »

Why do you say that?

(I can get Fox, I can't get ESPN or such.)

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #243 on: July 17, 2018, 01:07:31 PM »
Don't much like Fox, because of its other programming. I'd rather it be on another over-the-air network.

Profits from its other programming support the network's other craziness.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #244 on: July 17, 2018, 01:52:02 PM »

I see, yes!

Bryce Harper won the Home Run Derby last night.
He was in a zone and, more importantly, seemed really happy
and having a good time!

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #245 on: July 17, 2018, 01:56:34 PM »
Yeah! A shame he'll probably be leaving the team soon as a free agent.

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #246 on: July 18, 2018, 11:30:45 AM »
We actually ended up looking at the last innings including the extra one of the game last night, our houseguest is a big Indians fan, so he was pleased that the AL won. I less so. What a slugfest! Even Earl watched!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #247 on: July 18, 2018, 12:09:36 PM »

Yeah, American League--again!

I was experiencing technical difficulties. I won't get detailed about my electronic problems,
but I tried to watch the All Star game on my computer using a code that let me sign in, but
didn't allow the channel to be shown. Then I tried the Fox website and it let me sign in all the
way to the site, but it kept saying my flash player wasn't working, (when it is), but rebooting
wouldn't solve that. Then a friend of mine let me use his code to watch his cable service online,
except that we found out it won't let you watch only a handful of channels if you're not at your
home place. (So-you pay for something you can't use unless you're home...hmmm.) I was
about to give up when I noticed they did have a channel you could watch that had the All Star
game airing. But it was in Spanish. So I then found a radio station that was airing it in English.
So I watched the Spanish language feed on the computer with the sound off and listened to the
English on the radio. Except that the audio feed on the radio was about 20-30 seconds earlier
than the visual feed on the computer.

...sigh...

Now, I did want the NL to win, but barring that, why did the Dodger pitcher Ross Stripling have to
come out for a 2nd inning to pitch? The first inning he pitched he was lights out 1-2-3. Then he
gave up two home runs in a row to two effen Astros players, one of whom is named MVP because
he hit the last home run and so he gets a car. Even the radio announcer said people were now
probably making World Series jokes. Great. So after that I was really annoyed. Especially after
such an ordeal trying to even watch the thing.

Also, all the trade talk about Manny Machado possibly being sent to the Dodgers during the
game--well, that shouldn't happen no matter where he is going. It's a distraction from the
purpose of the game.

First, unless it's a fact, I don't get worked up about something like that because things change.
On the radio after the game everyone calling in was talking like it's a done deal. I also hate trade
hype because what does it ever really mean? People act like a UFO descended and Jesus walked
out of it or something. Like a team's savior has arrived. It's often not anything like that. I was
happy last year when Yu Darvish came to the Dodgers and look how that worked out. He was
awful in both WS games he was in. (The playoffs he was fine!) So...it's an hour from Noon here
and no deal has been announced. So who knows.

Also, I Only know about Machado because he's been discussed for a month everywhere lately and
I've only seen him in person (on TV) interviewed briefly. He seems like he could be a showboat in
a bad way if he's not focused. I mean, on the All Star red carpet he was wearing a light tan suit with
no shirt. Everyone called that his Hollywood look. (Even though who does that in Hollywood?) Of course,
the Dodgers have Yasiel Puig, so they know something about that. Sometimes people come to a team
and they're bad, too, and sometimes they're gangbusters at first and then fizzle. So who knows. When
Manny Ramirez came in a trade L.A. fans were in a tizzy. For a month. They even made a section of the
stadium and called it Mannywood and wore shirts that said that. Egads, I hope they don't do that again
with a new Manny.  If he comes.

Sorry, I'm really grumbly lately for so many reasons. Heh!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #248 on: July 18, 2018, 12:42:12 PM »
All-Star story...

I happened to se this in the news this morning. Most people aren't so aware of the players on the Brewers team, but last night one of their star pitchers was in the game. 24 year old Josh Hader. He's known for "his blazing fastball and devastating slider." But last night he gave up a three home home run from Jean Segura (Seattle) to put the AL way ahead.  He was not happy. WHen he got back to the dugout he'd be less so.

As USA Today writes, "With greater notoriety, however, comes greater scrutiny. After the Milwaukee Brewers left-hander served up a crucial home run, a Hader nobody knew emerged: A 17-year-old who did not hesitate to send out racist, homophobic, misogynistic and threatening tweets.

By the time he returned to the clubhouse after yielding a three-run homer to the Mariners’ Jean Segura, Hader was informed that intrepid Internet users, their interest likely piqued by his goat turn in the All-Star Game, unearthed tweets that cast a star pitcher on the cusp of adulthood as a paragon of hate."

Some of the tweets included these words and phrases:

“White power lol”

“KKK”

“N-----bot? The nigger! That just made my night! Smh”

“I hate gay people.”

___

I can see signs now, like: "Don't be a Hader."

Last night Hader tried to brush it off as being young and foollish. He didn't however, apologize or 
act contrite. Now a huge PR problem has developed for MLB, the Brewers and Hader, Will it grow
or stifle? The tendency nowadays is to hold a person accountable and try to erase them immediately
regardless of age, or circumstances, or the times in which they lived, or anything...se we shall see.
Youth can only be used as an excuse if you demonstrate that you've changed from the wrong you
originally did.

The Dodgers are playing the Milwaukee Brewers for three games there this weekend.
And then a week later for 4 games here.

P.S.: About an hour ago MLB decided:
Milwaukee Brewers reliever Josh Hader, who pitched in his first All-Star Game on Tuesday in Washington, then was made to answer for a series of hateful tweets from high school after the game, will be required to go through sensitivity training and participation in diversity and inclusion initiatives, Major League Baseball announced Wednesday.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #249 on: July 18, 2018, 12:43:19 PM »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #250 on: July 19, 2018, 12:06:41 PM »

The shiny new toy has got Dodger fans in a tizzy...

He won't be here in L.A. for 11 days, until July 30th when we play the Brewers here...which is where we play
tomorrow for his debut with the team...so we shall see.  I don't like all the hype for players until we see what
they actually do. Sometimes players move from a team and it takes them a long time to adjust. And Machado
was playing with Baltimore, a bottom rung team this year, with no pressures. That will change for him immediately.

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #251 on: July 19, 2018, 01:42:05 PM »
Our houseguest is upset that the Indians traded a favorite catcher for a new pitcher.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #252 on: July 21, 2018, 12:36:07 PM »

Our shiny new toy, Manny Machado, got two hits and two walks in his first
appearance with the Dodgers. So far, so good!     ;D

Dodgers are 1 1/2 ahead of Arizona. Our best placing yet this year! Yay!

I was looking at the MLB Standings page and it seems like all of a sudden the
Yankees have dropped to 5 1/2 games behind Boston. When did that happen?
Okay by me!

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #253 on: July 21, 2018, 01:06:51 PM »
Yeah, Nats aren't doing too well, below .500 again.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #254 on: July 21, 2018, 05:28:02 PM »
KC did beat the Twins last night, now we'll see how tonight goes, I'm recording it, cause that's just something I LIKE to do! LOL....can't stand those commercials breaks, and it's always the SAME commercials too......anyway, I have to mow the lawn. Waiting for the temps to drop a degree or two first............can KC possibly climb out of LAST PLACE in the 2nd half of the season???  :o :o :o