The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II  (Read 327533 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II
« Reply #600 on: November 25, 2018, 07:43:40 AM »
Fritz I wanted to let you know about the LSU/TX A&M game.  It went to 7 overtimes and the final score was 74-72 with TX A&M on top.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #601 on: November 25, 2018, 10:25:00 AM »
Yes, that LSU game was amazing! But I wish LSU had come out on top, of course.

Final          1   2   3   4   OT   2OT   3OT   4OT   5OT   6OT   7OT   Tot
#7 LSU                     7   3   7   14   3   7   8   3   6   8   6   72
#22 Texas A&M        7   10   7   7   3   7   8   3   6   8   8   74

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #602 on: November 25, 2018, 10:25:32 AM »
This program just can't do tables!

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #603 on: November 25, 2018, 12:31:27 PM »
This program just can't do tables!

I know. It makes it very hard.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #604 on: November 27, 2018, 04:44:25 PM »
Chuck, I stumbled onto the Figure Skating cable channel last night, and actually watched Nathan and Jason skate a long program, some Russian and French guys too. It was late, and I cannot remember the event, seems like it was held in France. I'm sure it was a rerun. Anyway, I think Nathan and Jason ended up 1st and 2nd place!!

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #605 on: December 03, 2018, 10:01:39 AM »
KC pulled out a WIN yesterday, but that 2nd half was a little bit of a nail-biter for me!!

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #606 on: December 03, 2018, 01:44:38 PM »
Geaux Irish! Beat Clemson!

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:43:39 PM by fritzkep »

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #607 on: December 08, 2018, 08:33:48 PM »

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #608 on: December 09, 2018, 10:50:20 AM »
YUM!! nice pic, nicer shadows!!  :laugh: :P :-*

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #609 on: December 09, 2018, 10:59:04 AM »

The Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final took place this weekend, and the top 6 point earners of all prior events showed up to compete against each other for the final round of medals.

a few surprises happened.  Current Olympic silver medalist, Russia's Evgenia Medvedeva, failed to make enough points due to her poor performance at her last competition, so she was not at the event.  Japan's Yuhuru Hanyu withdrew due to injury, and he was one of the top point earners.  Canada's Keegan Messing competed as a substitute in his place.

The ice dance competitors were:

Ice Dance

Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE   USA     30   
Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN           RUS     30   
Victoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOV   RUS     26
Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI           ITA     26   
Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER           USA     24
Tiffani ZAGORSKI / Jonathan GUERREIRO   RUS     24

One of the top teams was Stepanova/Bukin, who had collected the most points a team can (30) but they had problems with two of their step sequences, leading them to be placed fourth after the first dance.  It was a deduction they couldn't make up in their free dance, and surprisingly, remained in fourth.  Gold medal winners were USA Hubbell/Donahue, Russians Sinitsina/Katsalapov took silver, and Guignard/Fabbri of Italy won the bronze.

On to the men.....

Men

Shoma UNO        JPN   30
Nathan CHEN        USA   30
Michal BREZINA        CZE   26
Sergei VORONOV    RUS   24
Junhwan CHA        KOR   22
Keegan MESSING    CAN     20

The men's competition had some mild surprises.   Russia usually has a skater on the podium for each discipline.  For the men, Russian Sergei Voronov wasn't able  to match his competitors in power or grace, and ended up in last place.   Keegan Messing from Canada, the replacement for Japan's Yuhuru Hanyu, ended up 5th but celebrated the fact that he landed a quad lutz jump, the first time for him.   Junhwan Cha earned a bronze, becoming the first skater from Korea to win a medal on the Grand Prix Final, in any discipline.  Shoma Uno from Japan had no major mistakes, but a number of his jumps were under-rotated, resulting in his scores going down, and being placed second.  Gold medal winner was Nathan Chen of the US.

On to the women.....

Ladies

Alina ZAGITOVA                 RUS      30
Rika KIHIRA                 JPN      30
Satoko MIYAHARA         JPN           28
Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA   RUS      26
Kaori SAKAMOTO         JPN           24
Sofia SAMODUROVA         RUS           24

Billed as "Russia vs. Japan"  there were two different "battles" people were looking at.  Rika Kihira vs. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (both can land triple axel jumps) and Rika Kihira vs. Alina Zagitova (Rika the upstart newcomer, and Alina the current Olympic Gold Medalist).

The first three skaters came out and did fine, but it was the second set of three everyone was watching.  First to skate was Elizaveta Tuktamysheva of Russia.  Her first element was her triple axel.  She came close to landing it, but not quite.  She stayed on her blades, but did turn-outs on her skate so it wasn't a clean landing.  The rest of her program was clean.

Next to skate was  Alina Zagitova.  Her opening move was her triple lutz-triple toe combination.  Her lutz was off, so she she only landed a triple lutz-single toe.  It may not seem like much, but she then skated very tentatively afterwards, so the program looked labored, and she had no triple-triple combination, so she lost a lot of points.

Last to skate was Rika Kihara, who was making her Grand Prix debut.  She had two planned triple axel jumps.  On the first she almost fell, so she got deductions.  It also meant that if she made a second attempt at it, it MUST be in combination.  Skating rules state that each jump can only be done once, unless it is done in combination, then it may be done twice.  In a gutsy move, Rika made a second attempt at the triple axel, and landed it, added the double toe to the end, so it was in combination.  She went on to land all her other jumps, including a triple lutz-triple toe, the move that Alina Zagitova missed.

Elizaveta was given the bronze (many felt it should've been silver), Alina the silver (many felt it should've been bronze) and Rika took the gold in her senior year debut.

It was later announced by Alina's team that she had "tripped" over a tv wire backstage and hurt her foot, but skated anyway.

The last discipline was pairs.  Your competitors......

Pairs

Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES           FRA      30
Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV   RUS      30
Natalia ZABIIAKO / Alexander ENBERT           RUS      30
Cheng PENG / Yang JIN                           CHN      26
Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE   ITA      26
Daria PAVLIUCHENKO / Denis KHODYKIN   RUS      22

France's James & Cipres had a bad short program, and ended up in 4th place going into the long program.  In the long program, they were the second pair to skate, meaning 4 other pairs would have to skate after them.   James & Cipres had a FANTASTIC  long program, nailing every element and give an artistically superb performance with passion.  They got very high marks, and had to wait for the other pairs to skate and see what would happen.

Italy's Della Monica / Guarise  had multiple errors, and ended up being placed 5th.  Russia's Zabiiako / Enbert were doing well, but then a lift had a failed entry, and they didn't get into it in time, so it was an aborted element having no points, which dropped them to 4th.  Russia's  Tarasova /  Morozov had two errors, which resulted in them being dropped from second to third.  China's Peng / Jin skated well, but without as much passion as the French team, leaving them in second place.  The end result was the French team managed to jump from fourth place into gold medal position.

Here's the gold medal performance of the French team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BxTpeU2REs

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #610 on: December 09, 2018, 11:37:20 AM »
YUM!! nice pic, nicer shadows!!  :laugh: :P :-*

I'm glad you noticed!

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #611 on: December 09, 2018, 04:13:12 PM »
KC wins a squeaker today in OT..... :o...LORD!! These last 2 games they didn't LOOK like Super Bowl contenders to me!! A Win is a WIN, I guess. They clinched the division too.. :D....smooth sailing now till the playoffs begin!

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #612 on: December 09, 2018, 04:14:27 PM »
Chuck, after the FB game was over, I watched ONE skater, the guy after Nathan, same coach too? He was from CZE.....that guy, fell on his first jump, I think......a TALL DUDE!!  :o :o :o

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #613 on: December 09, 2018, 05:41:03 PM »
Hiya Jonn.  I believe that was Michal Brezina.

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #614 on: December 10, 2018, 06:18:51 AM »
Yup!! That's him!! One Tall Dude!! And the 'talkers' said he was thinking of retiring last year? Looks too young to retire and he recovered nicely from that first fall.......makes skating look effortless!!  8).