The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
Re: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II
« Reply #135 on: June 12, 2018, 10:48:09 PM »
And KC just keeps on losing!! arrrgghhhhhh!!  >:( >:( >:(

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #136 on: June 12, 2018, 11:00:07 PM »

I wish I had some better news for you, Jonn!

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #137 on: June 13, 2018, 08:00:57 AM »
Not any better Nats and Yankees.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #138 on: June 13, 2018, 10:28:39 AM »

Ugh. Yankees.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #139 on: June 13, 2018, 10:28:53 AM »

Dodgers Rangers 12 - 5!

The Dodgers have somehow hit the most home runs in MLB. Well, National League anyway.
And they need it because our 5 starting pitchers are all on the disabled list. Are any of them
coming off that list ever? It's crazy.

Meanwhile Arizona won't seem to lose and it seems their entire month is all with low positioned teams.

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #140 on: June 13, 2018, 08:35:42 PM »
Wow! The Senators, I mean Nats, beat the Damnyankees!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #141 on: June 14, 2018, 10:40:08 AM »

Excellent!

That means you pushed them back to second place behind Boston. Yay!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #142 on: June 14, 2018, 11:20:06 AM »

Dodgers won in extra innings!

It was a bit of a weird game.
--Collision at home plate with two ejections.
--Two players called out because of a slight step out of the base path.
--A reviewed call that clearly showed a tag without the foot on the base, but player called safe.
(I thought "reviewed" calls were for just that purpose, to be accurate!)
--The final run scored with a two-step dance move! By Kiké Hernandez. Heh!

Since Andre Ethier's 12 year career with the Dodgers closed this year, Kiké has become my favorite player.
If he wasn't good at his job (he can play any positions except catcher & pitcher) he'd probably get complaints
for fooling around too much and/or not taking things seriously, but to describe him I keep thinking of that Our
Gang short when everyone keeps talking about Alfalfa's "personality."  This guy has it in spades. He's always
upbeat and smiling and willing to enjoy the moment. He'll swagger around the dugout, play with the other
ballplayers, so much that it seems like he bats for our side as well as the Dodgers. He's a free spirit and a joy
to watch. He makes me happy!  His family lives in Puerto Rico and not only did he set up a fund to help out
his homeland from the devastating hurricane, he included "Houston" in that project, because of their trouble
and because he was briefly with that team a couple years ago. Which is why in his first at bat there during
last year's World Series he got applause from the Houston crowd. And further endearing him to me was his
outspoken remarks at Trump last year when the President demeaned us all by throwing paper towels in a
photo op in Puerto Rico.

He only said: “I’ve tried not getting too political but PR is going through something very serious and this
guy is trying to make this (stuff) funny?! SMH!!!” Hernandez said.

Trump's idiotic cultist supporters threw a backlash at him for days, with Hernandez even becoming the subject
of a headline and stories on a website called ‘Offended America'.  (Sane people know that the real offense is
the W.H. interloper himself.)

So Hernandez responded:

Hernandez said he has tried to stay away from the internet since Tuesday other than to continue his fundraising efforts for hurricane relief. And he stood by his criticism of the president’s behavior during his visit to Puerto Rico. “This is serious. This is not a joke,” Hernandez said. “To see him throw paper towels out there like those people are inferior. … It’s like going to Vegas right now and starting to throw Band-Aids to the public, you know?"

“I try not to be too political. But it’s not about politics. … It’s not a time to be joking. Be respectful to the people who are suffering and are in need. Show some sympathy. Show some humanity. Show some heart. That’s what angered me. It’s not anything else but that.”

EXACTLY. The "R" party has lost all humanity.

P.S.:  In response to Kiké's outreach to the Houston area, the Houston Astros also sent two planes of relief supplies to Puerto Rico and with
those planes empty, they filled them up with refugees and brought them back to Houston. That might sound a bit comical because of the
devastation the Houston area was also going through, but it was all worked out.

Humanity indeed.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #143 on: June 14, 2018, 11:30:23 AM »

I haven't been to an MLB game in so long...  I've been trying to get a friend or two to go with me.
I'd really like to go on July 4th and they're at home this year. That's my favorite thing to do on July 4th.
A baseball game. Hot dogs! Red white & blue fireworks and patriotic music... Done it a few times! I love
going to the games in person. At this point any game would be nice, though, and they have almost two
weeks worth to choose from up to July 4th, so I'm trying to work it out for sometime before the end of the
month. I may be making some headway convincing a friend to go with me soon. Fingers crossed!

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #144 on: June 14, 2018, 12:10:14 PM »
Good luck, Lyle! If I were in L.A. I'd love to attend a game with you.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #145 on: June 14, 2018, 12:34:37 PM »
I would love that, too, Fritz!

There was a period of about 10 years where a friend and I went to 15 - 20 games a year.
We got decent seats for $8, $10 or $12!  Food per person might be $10 - $15. Parking $6.

Twenty years later and I'm in awe and wonder how things have changed:

Those same seats cost $53, $57 or $60. Food, well one plain Dodger Dog alone costs $6! Parking $20!
Sometimes when I see a game on TV, any game in any city, I wonder how all those people afford to go!
Even if you account for inflation, would that seem probable?

Also, twenty years ago you could buy tickets at the box office or on the phone and not be charged fees
for each ticket. Now those $53/$57/$60 seats come with a $10.50 fee on top of them per ticket and a
per order charge of $7.50. It feels like one game is equivalent to spending $120 for an orchestra seat at
a Broadway musical! When I was looking on the official ticket site, I saw some seats in the area behind
home plate were $999 dollars.

Is an average person now, the age I was twenty years ago, really making enough money to go to 15-20 games
a year like I did?

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #146 on: June 14, 2018, 01:25:50 PM »
I remember the first MLB game I went to on my own (not as part of a group), and that was in Montréal playing Cincinnati (I think), back in 1972. I especially wanted to attend a game and hear it in French! I think the standard bleacher seat I got cost $1.35 Canadian, just a little more US.

I remember a group of kids nearby singing the Canadian anthem very loudly in French.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #147 on: June 15, 2018, 01:14:53 PM »

And speaking of Canada...your Nationals are heading to Toronto today.

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #148 on: June 15, 2018, 01:49:26 PM »
Yep! Geaux Nats!

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #149 on: June 15, 2018, 07:24:27 PM »
I recorded the KC game tonight, so don't tell me the score yet!! LOL....I'll be watching it later, and zooming through the commercials!!  ;D ;D ;D