The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II  (Read 2899 times)

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
Re: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II
« Reply #225 on: July 08, 2018, 01:11:34 PM »
It appears that teams are deemphasizing defense. Wittingly or not.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Online morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #226 on: July 08, 2018, 01:16:24 PM »
I hope they're not on performance enhancing drugs.  I think a lot of them are, one reason I've lost interest in baseball in the last several years - that and free agency/money...so different than when I followed it in the '60s.
“Remember the days you prayed for the things you have now.”

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #227 on: July 08, 2018, 01:48:33 PM »
It appears that teams are deemphasizing defense. Wittingly or not.

I believe some were talking about that very thing on Fox's game of the week yesterday
that I saw about an hour of. They're all into sabermetrics--is that the word? They said
it was even influencing Little League teams.

I am interested in if the Tampa Bay Rays model is going to be adopted anywhere else.
They had a lot of trouble with pitching this year and the manager decided to put in
pitchers in the first or second inning he called "openers". Then start the regular pitcher
for as long as possible and then a closer. They won a lot of games doing that. We shall
see.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #228 on: July 08, 2018, 02:23:46 PM »
I hope they're not on performance enhancing drugs.  I think a lot of them are, one reason I've lost interest in baseball in the last several years - that and free agency/money...so different than when I followed it in the '60s.

I hope they are not. I thought they had a system in place to stop and discourage that, no?

I try not to listen to all the outside stuff like free agency and money and all that. I even hate all the talk
in July about who should be traded to who before the end of the month. I just like to watch the games
and enjoy the activity. One of the analysts on a game I watched this month, John Smoltz, who was a great
Atlanta pitcher, talked about the sport needing to change with the times like other sports have (have they?)
and what that means.  Some articles i've read is about having computers use the strike zone to call the
strikes and balls for the batters. I guess the umpire would "hear" what the computer says and just mouth
it and they'd still be at the plate for other plays and such.  John Smoltz and others think that the DH rule
will be adopted in the NL sooner rather than later. I don't like that idea at all. NO NO NO.

I don't mind it in one league and not the other because they both have to do it during inter-league play.
Maybe inter-league play should be gone, I don't know.

All I know is that the Dodgers always seem to get balks called against them and it cost us a game the other
night.  So, a pitcher who is in the process of throwing to the batter isn't supposed to interrupt that by then
throwing the ball to say, first base or whatever. Not once they've started their delivery. Well, an opposing
player who was on third base kept inching down the line toward home and he was halfway there and the
Dodger pitcher noticed that as he was "supposedly" going to throw the ball and threw it to third instead.
I mean, why wouldn't you? Why would you not be able to do that? It was called a balk which meant that
all runners advance a base and so they scored a run. So at what point is the pitcher "in the process of
throwing the ball?"  Eye of the beholder stuff.

The reason I know that the "balk" rule should be changed is that every time it happens, no matter the team
or situation. The announcers discuss it ad infinitum and no one else understands it. Because of this, I think balk
calls should be able to be challenged.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #229 on: July 12, 2018, 04:27:16 PM »
I'm back from vacation now, and I didn't see any KC games while away, but heard they are still mostly losing. LOL.....I did get to see a little of Eric Hosmer playing while checking the TV on night in Calif, was nice to watch him play........poor ol KC, maybe next year, not sure WHAT they need, maybe better pitchers, I suppose?

Fritz, where are you heading on this trip? And are you going alone? 6 weeks on the road seems like an eternity to me!! haha........

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #230 on: July 12, 2018, 05:04:31 PM »
That's what I'm planning, but it's on hold right now, Earl had a CAT scan today about a lump under his shoulder, and when I leave depends on how the possible/probable lump removal proceeds. But I will leave tomorrow for Valley Forge for a meeting of the guys who try to visit all the US counties, then will come home from that, till we see what's happening.

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #231 on: July 12, 2018, 07:20:00 PM »
Fritz, I see. Seems to me like he had something like this before, no? Or maybe that was another surgery or whatever. I hope it all goes well for him, and you too! Keep me posted.  ;D

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #232 on: July 12, 2018, 07:33:42 PM »
Yes, the previous surgery was a lymphoma on the surface several months ago, this one is below the skin but above the muscle, not attached, floating inbetween. Hoping for news from the CAT scan, possibly tomorrow, more likely Monday.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #233 on: July 13, 2018, 12:28:25 PM »

Hugs, Fritz and let us know!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #234 on: July 13, 2018, 12:29:47 PM »
I did get to see a little of Eric Hosmer playing while checking the TV the other night in Calif, was nice to watch him play...

Yes, we (Dodgers) were playing against him and the Padres this week.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #235 on: July 13, 2018, 12:39:56 PM »

Jonn, I know KC is doing poorly and Fritz, the Nationals aren't out of it, but they are
unexpectedly struggling against two teams ahead of them that everyone agrees are
unexpectedly there!

I, for one, am happy, at least today. After a horrific March & April and pitching injuries to
all five starting pitchers (!) the Dodgers, as of last night, are solely in first place, right before
the All-Star break, by 1/2 game.

Los Angeles Dodgers         -
Arizona Diamondbacks     .5
Colorado Rockies              3
San Francisco Giants        3
San Diego Padres             12.5

Hopefully we can stay there this weekend after three games with the problematic Angels.
We always seem to have trouble with that team whether they're good or not. Arizona's
playing Atlanta.

Then the All Star game is Fritz's backyard.

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #236 on: July 13, 2018, 09:46:15 PM »
I usually ignore the All Star game, but may watch this year if Eric Hosmer, or Lorenzo Cain is in it!! LOL....I miss those 2 players watching KC now, just not the same. How true!! LOL...watching KC play the White Sox tonight, it was 7-6, CWS ahead, then a 2 run homer in the 8th, so now KC will need a miracle in the 9th to catch up...........we'll see............

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #237 on: July 15, 2018, 05:36:29 AM »
Hey Lyle and Jonn, things are looking up. The CAT scan indicated that the mass is probably not cancerous, but rather a hematoma or abscess. They'll probably do a biopsy, and as soon as they can be sure, then I'll plan to leave on my trip.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #238 on: July 15, 2018, 10:14:51 AM »

Yay for things looking up, Fritz!!!
Let's have more of it!

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #239 on: July 17, 2018, 07:07:36 AM »
At least ONE KC player is in the All Star game. Perez. But he's not starting the game. ho-hum.........