The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II  (Read 330087 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II
« Reply #255 on: July 22, 2018, 11:13:55 AM »

Speaking of Washington and Kansas City:

Nats Trade Brian Goodwin to Royals for Minor League Pitcher
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jul/22/nationals-trade-brian-goodwin-royals-minor-league-/

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #256 on: July 22, 2018, 11:52:19 AM »
Yeah, Nats aren't doing too well, below .500 again.

Articles I'm reading this morning have other teams in that division saying they expect the
Nationals to perk up again and give them a run for the title. Also an interesting line: "The
Nationals have been the second-winningest team in baseball since Bryce Harper's rookie
season."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #257 on: July 22, 2018, 12:14:55 PM »
Dodgers are 1 1/2 ahead of Arizona. Our best placing yet this year! Yay!

I was hesitating to look at the standings this morning because the Dodgers lost last night 4 - 2, to the
Brewers. (The Brewers had lost 6 in a row before the All Star game and I was expecting they weren't
going to just keep losing...they were in 1st place in their division for three months after all.)  So when
I looked at the standings the real surprise came when I saw that Arizona had also lost, but we were
not still 1 1/2 games ahead of the second place team we were only 1 game ahead of the second place
team because Arizona was playing the Rockies and they moved into second place because of that. I
wasn't aware that the Rockies were so close! The Giants are pretty close, too! So there are a number
of possibilities for today's games. If COL wins and we don't, the Rockies could have moved from third
to first in two days! Seeing as how long it took for us to make it into first place ahead of Arizona, that
would just not be welcome!

...  :D
...  1
...  1.5
...  4
...  15

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #258 on: July 22, 2018, 12:24:21 PM »

At the moment, Atlanta at Washington (as well as Boston at Detroit) are in RAIN delays.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #259 on: July 22, 2018, 12:30:03 PM »
Yeah, we've got quite a spell of rainy weather here starting yesterday. 4" at DCA then.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #260 on: July 22, 2018, 05:06:29 PM »

Kansas City won over Minnesota today, Jonn!   

The Dodgers won today 11 - 2 over the Brewers.  I like an occasional game where you know
(even though it ain't over 'til it's over) that you're going to win it by the end of the 2nd inning
and you just enjoy it all after that. At one point, the Brewer's manager, Craig Counsell, was using
position players to pitch. The Minnesota crowd decided to just enjoy what was happening despite
the score and hooted and hollared and gave those guys standing ovations! The biggest ovation of
the day, though, was when they opened the roof of the stadium and let the sunshine in!

Craig Counsell was a part of several teams as a player, lncluding the 1997 World Series winners
the Marlins. Then just a few years later he was on the Arizona World Series team. He was with the
Dodgers at one point for 1 season, maybe  1 1/2 or 2. I believe he was traded to us during one season.
I always liked the way he stood at the plate. He would stand as tall as he could and held the bat upright
in the air and he would lean back on his left leg and then tap his front foot on the ground as he'd wait for
the pitch. His last team as a player was the Brewers that he now manages.

I just looked up youtube to see if possibly this stance was shown on there somewhere, and it is in several places!
Here's one called MLB Weird Batting Stances.  He is the second one shown at 0:15 seconds. He doesn't tap his front
foot here as much as he often did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7wUNXmfn0o

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #261 on: July 22, 2018, 05:17:29 PM »
Yeah, we've got quite a spell of rainy weather here starting yesterday. 4" at DCA then.

Fritz, the Dodger game started at least an hour after the Washington game started and it's been over
for nearly an hour and a half and the Washington game has played 6 innings and is under a rain delay
again! If they play a full 5 innings they can call the game as finished if they want, can't they? So, they
should just give it to the Nationals 4-2! I suppose the fact they're playing Atlanta who is in the same
division and in first place at the moment, that they don't want to. Who decides about calling a game
complete? Do both sides have to agree?  They did not play yesterday's game either!

I wish we had some rain like that! All we are getting this week is temperatures in the high 90's near 100.

The Angels are walloping Houston in the 7th inning right now 13 - 3.  I wish that was the fact yesterday
when I watched Fox's Game of the Week with those teams. The Angels didn't even score yesterday and
I had to watch those Astros win.  >:D

Today me likey!

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #262 on: July 22, 2018, 05:34:48 PM »
Yeah, after 6 innings, it should be enough. Hope!

We've got more rain in the area again, the second storm system that's pulled through today.

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #263 on: July 22, 2018, 05:49:47 PM »
Looks like the game has been resumed, bottom of the 7th.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #264 on: July 22, 2018, 05:53:52 PM »
The Angels are walloping Houston in the 7th inning right now 13 - 3.  I wish that was the fact yesterday
when I watched Fox's Game of the Week with those teams. The Angels didn't even score yesterday and
I had to watch those Astros win.  >:D

Today me likey!

Final: Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim 14 - Houston 5.

:P

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #265 on: July 22, 2018, 05:55:02 PM »
Looks like the game has been resumed, bottom of the 7th.

Good luck!

Makes me wonder the record for completing a game with rainouts included.
They seem to keep track of everything else!

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #266 on: July 22, 2018, 06:40:59 PM »
I'm sure somebody does!

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #267 on: July 22, 2018, 06:50:08 PM »
6-2!

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #268 on: July 22, 2018, 11:31:33 PM »
I do believe this was KC's first sweep in over a year? Is that what I heard? Anyway, miracles never cease, do they?! I still think Ned Yost will probably be OUT for the 2019 season, I can't imagine KC keeping him on.......time for change......

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #269 on: July 25, 2018, 08:38:44 AM »
KC wins last night, so wins the last 4 out of 5!! Could this be a trend?? :o :o :o