The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II  (Read 330090 times)

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
Re: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II
« Reply #300 on: August 12, 2018, 08:43:41 AM »
KC loses to STL last night, another game this afternoon, Maybe I'll record that one, tooooo much going on today.......

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #301 on: August 12, 2018, 11:35:15 AM »
I thought of you last night, Jonn, because I was watching some of the Milwaukee Brewers game
against Atlanta and your former Royals were helping the Brewers win that game, Mike Moustakas
and Lorenzo Cain!

Fritz, I also watched most of the afternoon game with your Nationals looking like their old selves and winning
against the Cubs 9 - 4.  The announcer said the Nationals have many games left against the Phillies and Atlanta
and if they get on a streak of wins against either of them they'll be right back in it!

The Dodgers and D'backs and Rockies are playing musical chairs in the NL West Division. At any given day you'll
find any one of those teams in 1st, 2nd, or third place.  Sometimes a couple positions in the same day.

With only about 45 games to go in the season for MLB, the American League seems to be rather set in their outcomes.

AL EAST
Boston has been around 10 games ahead of the Yankees for quite awhile now.
AL CENTRAL
Cleveland is 11 games ahead of the Minnesota Twins.
AL WEST
The Houston Astros have been in first place most all year, but two teams behind them
are with 3-5 games at any given time, the Oakland A's and Seattle Mariners, but Houston
has not relinquished their position and not expected to do so.

The National League divisions are all fighting for the top spot between 2 or 3 teams.

NL EAST
The Phillies are swapping first place back and forth with Atlanta recently. Currently only 1 game ahead.
The Nationals are by no means out of it at 5 games back of them.

NL CENTRAL
The Cubs have been fighting off Milwaukee for two months. Milwaukee was tied with them, fell back to
4 back and are now 2 back and they have several games against each other left.

NL WEST
This division is musical chairs. If the Dodgers hadn't had such a terrible first 6 weeks they'd be several games
ahead, IMO, but since they started playing well and got to the top, they've been running in place and with our
lights out closer Kenley Jansen, being sidelined this week (with a recurring heart condition!) who knows what
to expect. Last night we lead the game for 8 2/3 innings only to lose (without Jansen) in the final at bat. This
morning The Dodgers and D'Backs are tied for first place. Colorado is only 1 1/2 behind. And the Giants (6 behind)
would like to disrupt each one of these three teams, especially the Dodgers, whom they play three with this week.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #302 on: August 12, 2018, 12:24:30 PM »
Hope springs eternal!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #303 on: August 13, 2018, 01:12:31 PM »

I'm getting hoped out, Fritz.

My team is struggling to stay afloat. This year has been met with struggle after struggle.

Right at the start our star short-stop, Corey Seager, has to have surgery and will be knocked out for the season.
Our star 3rd baseman, Justin Turner, got hit on the hand in the last spring training game by a pitch and it broke
his wrist. So he was out for months and been struggling to even play and return to normal the last two weeks. One
by one ALL of our starting pitchers (ALL OF THEM) were on the disabled list all at the same time! Among other things.
But we managed to crawl back near the top, with the help of two fantastic new players and the pitchers returning one
by one to the lineup. And then when it seems we might start advancing ahead of the pack, our star closer Kenley Jansen,
who has the most saves this year and who comes on after our shaky bullpen starters work in the 7th-8th innings, is out
with heart problems. Heart problems no less! The Dodgers are being tested in ways I've never seen so cumulatively at
every turn this year. And yet we've stayed around the top all this time, but this week it's hard to look in the future and
have that hope.  8 out of the 9 last games the Dodgers have played have been 1 run affairs and we came out on the
losing end of 5 of them. We played Colorado the last 4 games and Colorado stated "to stay in the race in the NL West
we need to win at least 3 of the 4 games to have a chance." That's exactly what they did. And with Jansen out in the
last inning this week the last two games were brutal for the Dodgers. We were ahead for 8 2/3 inning in game 3 and
lost it with a home run at the last at bat.  Yesterday was even worse. We were behind the whole game, but tied it up
in the 9th. In the bottom of the 9th we WALKED IN THE WINNING RUN for Colorado. Humiliating. Devastating. And
that put Colorado right next to us in the standings and put Arizona 1 game ahead for the first time in several weeks.

I'm sure in Los Angeles the fans are paying way more attention to everything because none of us have gotten over
the 7th game of the World Series last November 1st. And we want that to go away. No matter that history says it's so difficult.
But it's one thing to go through a season where the normal things plague a team from time to time, but it seems this season
the Dodgers are being tested way out of normality.  I mean, your closer now has a heart condition! What's next? The second
baseman is pregnant? An earthquake? We run out of Dodger Dogs?

:-\

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #304 on: August 13, 2018, 01:13:46 PM »

P.S.: All God's speed and good wishes to Kenley Jansen and his family, I don't mean to be selfish or unthoughtful about his situation in the least.

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #305 on: August 13, 2018, 11:03:00 PM »
KC beats Toronto tonight.....maybe they can win another series before the year is out!!  :o :o

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #306 on: August 13, 2018, 11:54:21 PM »

Another 9th inning loss for the Dodgers tonight after Kershaw pitched
an outstanding 8 innings then our bullpen blew it again. We needed ONE out.
A batter gets hit and then the next one got a first pitch hit and runs scored.
Then our first baseman misplayed a ball and another run scored. They fell
apart so badly for the 4th night in a row in the 9th inning, this has got to stop.

:">

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #307 on: August 14, 2018, 07:55:21 AM »
Everyone else is talking about current sports, and I'm counting down the next two months to the start of the figure skating season!   :laugh:

It's nice to think of ice during the hot summer!

I found a listing online of the major skating competitions for the 2018-2019 season, and printed them off to keep at home, so I won't miss any major events.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #308 on: August 14, 2018, 01:33:26 PM »

WHen is the first one?

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #309 on: August 14, 2018, 01:48:31 PM »
Some smaller events are already going on.

The first major international event of the skating season is the opening event of the Grand Prix series,  Skate America, which is October.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #310 on: August 14, 2018, 02:00:30 PM »
[...]
But it's one thing to go through a season where the normal things plague a team from time to time, but it seems this season
the Dodgers are being tested way out of normality.  I mean, your closer now has a heart condition! What's next?

What's next? This:

After exiting the Los Angeles Dodgers' 5-2 loss to the San Francisco Giants on Monday with dizziness, an EKG test
revealed heart "abnormalities" in the cardiac rhythms of second baseman Brian Dozier.

And this:

After the loss on Monday night, and then the news about Brian Dozier, it appeared as if nothing could get worse for the Dodgers.
About 15 minutes after the game ended, the Dodgers announced newly-acquired reliever John Axford would be placed on the DL
for nearly a month with a fractured fibula.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #311 on: August 14, 2018, 03:24:42 PM »
Yikes!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #312 on: August 14, 2018, 09:56:46 PM »
What's next? This:

After exiting the Los Angeles Dodgers' 5-2 loss to the San Francisco Giants on Monday with dizziness, an EKG test
revealed heart "abnormalities" in the cardiac rhythms of second baseman Brian Dozier.

And this:

After the loss on Monday night, and then the news about Brian Dozier, it appeared as if nothing could get worse for the Dodgers.
About 15 minutes after the game ended, the Dodgers announced newly-acquired reliever John Axford would be placed on the DL
for nearly a month with a fractured fibula.

WOnder if that Dozier is related to the Royals Hunter Dozier? Could be, but I'm too lazy to look it up!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #313 on: August 15, 2018, 09:33:24 AM »
Wonder if that Dozier is related to the Royals Hunter Dozier? Could be, but I'm too lazy to look it up!!  ;D ;D ;D

It appears they are not related, Jonn.

And good news on one front:  Brian Dozier's EKG problem was quickly diagnosed to an adverse reaction he got from taking
some sinus medication he had never used before. (It hurts when I do that. Don't do that.) He was in the lineup last night.

One problem solved, heh!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #314 on: August 15, 2018, 10:07:29 AM »
The Dodgers have lost five one run games in a row. Ouch.
It gives me some satisfaction to say that the ONLY other
team in MLB that is currently on a five game losing steak
is the Houston Astros!

All of a sudden the Astros are only 1 game in first place ahead of the Oakland Athletics,
who we played 2 games with last week (won one) and where our current troubles seem
to have started. And Houston just lost to Colorado where we got suckered punched.
Because of all this the Dodgers in first place on Sunday...are in 3rd place on Wednesday.

Baseball is weird. Here's another headline this morning:

2018 World Series Odds: Red Sox, Dodgers Favored to Meet in Fall Classic

From the article:

The Dodgers likely owe their favorite status to their trades for Manny Machado and Brian Dozier. Losers of five straight games coming into Wednesday, Los Angeles would be out of the postseason if it began today. The Arizona Diamondbacks lead the NL West by one game over the Colorado Rockies and two over the Dodgers.

Making matters even more surprising is that the Dodgers are a pretty heavy NL favorite. The Chicago Cubs (+400) are the only other team that have 4-to-1 odds or better. The Cubs currently have the NL's best record and are tied with the Dodgers for the league's best run differential.

Perhaps the best value on the board is the Oakland Athletics at +1000. Oakland has been red hot over the last few months and has the type of offense that could go toe-to-toe with Boston and Houston's pitching staffs in October.

Still 7 weeks of the season to go and anything could happen. The Dodgers had the same record last year at this time that Boston does now. Then we went on a huge streak losing 17 of 20 games while Cleveland went on a long winning streak (23 in a row, wasn't it?). So, like you say Fritz: Hope springs eternal! We were 10 games behind on May 17th. Seven weeks later we were in first place.

Meanwhile, Fritz, your Nationals are having the same bullpen trouble and losing close walk-off games in the 9th.
Witness a headline from a day ago:

Nationals Get Walked Off Again, This Time in a Disheartening 7-6 Loss at St. Louis
and:
Nationals Manager Dave Martinez Admits He Doesn't 'know what else to do' With Bullpen

I feel you, Fritz, with that sentiment this week!