The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II  (Read 27393 times)

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
Re: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II
« Reply #825 on: May 15, 2019, 08:26:17 AM »
KC leads BOTH leagues in stolen bases this year!! But, as I say, I don't believe you can WIN games, or GET OUT of LAST PLACE on stolen bases alone!! arrrggghhhhhh!!! KC's Whit Merrifield lead the leagues in stolen bases in 2017 and 2018......it's a record!

Here's to MORE stolen bases.........for what it's worth.... :P :laugh:

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #826 on: May 18, 2019, 04:24:52 PM »

The Dodgers have a young player that's been waiting for two years to get called up and a regular place on the Dodger team. After a few good call ups last year, he's been competing for playing time this year. He's earned it, so far giving a Rookie of the Year type performance.

So something happened during the top of the third inning in Tuesday's game that I've never seen before in person or on TV. The fans in Dodger stadium started serenading Alex Verdugo and sang "Happy Birthday" to him.  It was wonderful!

Frankly, I've always wondered myself why that doesn't happen? It seems like it should. But this was a lovely moment.

Dodgers Fans Adorably Sing Happy Birthday to Alex Verdugo

It's always nice to have family and friends sing happy birthday to you. But, what about when 40,000 people or so do it?
This happened to Los Angeles Dodgers youngster Alex Verdugo, who just turned 23 years old.

https://www.12up.com/posts/video-dodgers-fans-adorably-sing-happy-birthday-to-alex-verdugo-01db0r5dwemh

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #827 on: May 19, 2019, 11:21:00 AM »

So, I heard or read on an MLB site that yesterday the Minnesota Twins Hit for the HR Cycle.
I know what hitting for the cycle is, it's when a single player hits a single, double, triple and
a home run in the same game. The most rare is to do it in order. You can also say "the team
hit for the cycle" when different players all hit one of those in order or not.

But I had to look up a team hitting a home run cycle. I've never heard of this before. It is when
they hit a home run with no one on base. With someone on first. With players on first and second.
And a grand slam with the bases loaded!  If that's all the scoring in the game the score would be at
least 10-0.  The Twins hit 6 home runs in the game and the final score was Twins 18 - Mariners 4.

Since I'd never heard of this I thought it must be rare, but this article said: "The most recent Major
League club to hit for the home run cycle was the As in their 17-2 win over the Tigers on Thursday.
The Twins hit for the home run cycle for the first time since a 14-2 win over the Indians on 8/17/73."

You guys ever hear of this before?  Like they say, you see or hear about something new practically every
time you watch an MLB game.

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #828 on: May 19, 2019, 11:36:26 AM »

In other dreaded MLB news, the Houston Astros are doing well. I hate that.
They just completed a ten game winning streak yesterday. And it was against
the Red Sox. Not only that, it's the second ten game winning streak they've
had already this year! They have the MLB most wins at 31. (The Dodgers were
the first team to 30 wins. Plus, the above mentioned Twins also have 30 wins.)

In statistics that don't really mean anything, which is the problem if you'd like them
to, the last three seasons the team who got to 20 wins first, won the World Series.
2016: Cubs
2017: Astros
2018: Red Sox
___

2019: Dodgers

Our time?  ...long way to go...

:o   ...and even at that point the Presidential election is still over a year away.    :o 

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #829 on: May 20, 2019, 09:28:13 AM »
KC wins one against the Angels!!  :o :o :o