The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet September - December 2018  (Read 507 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
The Daily Sheet September - December 2018
« on: September 03, 2018, 08:31:46 PM »

Tuesday, September 4th, 2018

Passing the Plate

Hello UBF members!  As you all know, The Ultimate Brokeback Forum switched to a "donations" format, after Dave Cullen had been supporting the forum on his own for the past (almost) 14 years.

Over the past few weeks, donations have come in, and I'm waiting to release a total until they taper off.  I started making deposits to the UBF account as of September 1st, so all new funds would be recorded with the new month.

If anyone would like to make a donation, payments can be sent via PayPal to me directly at CellarDweller115@yahoo.com, or you can PM me and I'll give you my address, so you can mail funds directly to me.   A few non-US members have asked in the past if they can mail me a check, unfortunately, that answer is no.  For me to deposit a check that is not from a US bank will result in exchange rates and fees, and most likely be more than the amount of your donation.  Members who are not from the US will have to donate (if they chose to) through PayPal.

Expect an update soon, and thanks for your generosity!

Heath Ledger – A Life In Pictures

The exhibition Heath Ledger: A Life In Pictures was created by the Art Gallery of Western Australia – in Ledger’s home town of Perth – but was never intended to tour. Understandably, the National Film and Sound Archive of Australia (NFSA) felt it was a show that sent the perfect tone for them, and secured the show to relaunch its exhibition program – which has been in stasis for the past five years due to funding cuts.

As NFSA CEO Jan Müller said, ‘It was a no-brainer’ to bring it to the archive in Canberra, where it will enjoy a six month run.

Curated by Allison Holland, this exhibition is so much more than a kind of “fanish” walk through of yet another Hollywood life cut short. ‘It’s a very complex look at one person’s very intense and short life,’ she described.

When asked what surprised her going through Ledger’s personal archive, she told ArtsHub: ‘I was surprised that he was such a prolific photographer. I was surprised that he was working towards becoming a grand master in chess – chess was a great strategy in his life and a great passion for him.’  She added that she was overwhelmed by Ledger’s generosity of spirit, which for the viewer, comes through in this exhibition

Heath Ledger – A Life In Pictures

Restaurant Employee Fired For Ridiculing Gay Patrons

Management of Agave Jalisco Mexican Restaurant on Ayers Street fired an employee and ordered all others undergo sensitivity training after reports of anti-gay slurs directed at two patrons surfaced on social media.

Moody High School principal Sandra Clement shared her son's and his partner's experience at the restaurant in a Facebook post that was shared more than 900 times. The post states a restaurant employee ridiculed her son for hugging his partner by using a derogatory term for gay men.

"(Clement's son and his boyfriend) exchanged a hug as they entered the restaurant and a male employee pointed at them while talking to some female employees seated at a table and screamed 'jotos,' " the statement reads. "(The employee) proceeded to walk to the kitchen tossing his towel in the air loudly singing 'jotos' over and over again."

Restaurant Employee Fired For Ridiculing Gay Patrons

Lesbians Paint House Rainbow Colors to Annoy Homophobic Neighbors

A married lesbian couple has painted their Pennsylvania home like a Pride flag after allegedly enduring years of homophobic slurs from their neighbors, Pittsburgh’s WTAE reports.

Lisa Licata and Sherry Lau moved into the Penn Hills neighborhood five years ago. After hearing neighbor Ron Makay make a bigoted comment, they tried to avoid conflict by telling him they were mother and daughter. When the truth came out a year later, the couple says that Makay and his wife, Iolanda Wieczorkowki, began calling them anti-gay slurs like “homos” and “dykes.”

“It seemed to change when they found out I’m married to a woman and I’m gay,” says Lau.   Lau and Licata also claim Makay shot their dog with a BB gun. Penn Hills Police recently charged Makay with animal cruelty and discharging an air rifle.

Lesbians Paint House Rainbow Colors to Annoy Homophobic Neighbors

More People Than Ever Identify As Bisexual

Coming out as bisexual is a strange experience. You’re telling people something they already know: that you have a sexual interest in the opposite gender, and you’re mixing it with something they don’t know: that you also dig the same gender. It’s like mixing a super strong cocktail that some will slug back and others will spit out. Generally speaking, coming out as bisexual can communicate two very different and conflicting message to heterosexual and homosexual communities. As they say, the bisexual closet has two doors.

While most peers are (hopefully) supportive, straight people tend to think you’re experimenting, attesting your sexuality is temporary when it’s not. In the LGBT community, they tend to believe you’re only halfway out of the closet. You’re not entirely homosexual, so bisexuality is merely a pit-stop before admitting you’re gay (“bi now, gay later”). This double stigma can be incredibly frustrating and perhaps why the majority of bisexual individuals remain closeted, especially men.

More People Than Ever Identify As Bisexual

Woman Describes ‘Euphoria’ of Transitioning, aged 81

A transgender woman has told of her joy at becoming the oldest person in Britain to have gender reassignment surgery. Ruth Rose, now 85, underwent the surgery four years ago after her doctor said that the NHS would still consider a medical transition.

Speaking to the BBC, she described feeling “total euphoria” at waking up as a physical woman after more than eight decades in a man’s body.  She also praised a close-knit group of fellow pensioners who helped her through the process, and never questioned her identity as a woman.

Ruth first realized she was wanted to be female aged nine-years-old, in the middle of World War Two, but felt forced to keep the fact secret from everyone. “I was an evacuee at the time,” she told 5Live. “Of course at that age and at that time, these sorts of things were never spoken about so I was unaware of really what it was, except it was feeling that I wanted to be a girl, and dress in girl’s things and be very secretive about it."

Woman Describes ‘Euphoria’ of Transitioning, aged 81

Back to School Shopping With My Gender-Fluid Genderqueer Niece

During back to school shopping with my gender-fluid genderqueer niece (is that even appropriate to say that way?), I realized I didn’t know much about what she faces as a young person going into high school for the first time.  “People who are gender-fluid don’t identify with a fixed gender,” says Liz Powell, PsyD, an LGBTQ-friendly sex educator, coach, and psychologist.  Powell added, “They may move back and forth between gender presentations and identifications, or participate in queering of gender by mixing masculine and feminine presentations.”

One celebrity making headlines for being gender-fluid is new Batwoman star Ruby Rose.  “Gender fluidity is not really feeling like you’re at one end of the spectrum or the other,” Rose said. “For the most part, I definitely don’t identify as any gender.” She explained, “I’m not a guy; I don’t really feel like a woman, but obviously I was born one. So, I’m somewhere in the middle, which – in my perfect imagination – is like having the best of both sexes.”

Back to School Shopping With My Gender-Fluid Genderqueer Niece

GLAAD to honor Alyssa Milano With Inaugural Ariadne Getty Ally Award

GLAAD will honor Alyssa Milano with its inaugural Ariadne Getty Ally Award at the group's 2018 GLAAD Gala San Francisco on September 15.

According to GLAAD, its upcoming event "celebrates and features storytellers and tech innovators who accelerate LGBTQ acceptance and helps fund GLAAD's digital advocacy work to grow LGBTQ inclusion in digital and social media."

The 45-year-old Milano is best known for her roles on Who's the Boss?, Melrose Place and Charmed. She currently appears in Netflix's Insatiable.

Milano's LGBT activism includes a late 80s appearance on The Phil Donahue Show with Ryan White, a student ostracized by his classmates for having AIDS. During the show, Milano kissed White to show that the disease could not be contracted through casual contact.

GLAAD to honor Alyssa Milano With Inaugural Ariadne Getty Ally Award

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://www.ultimatebrokebackforum.com.

Today's edition by KillersMom, CellarDweller115

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to CellarDweller115.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet

Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: The Daily Sheet September - December 2018
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 08:53:16 PM »

Tuesday, September 11th, 2018

Passing the Plate

Hello UBF members!  As you all know, The Ultimate Brokeback Forum switched to a "donations" format, after Dave Cullen had been supporting the forum on his own for the past (almost) 14 years.

Over the past few weeks, donations have come in, and I'm waiting to release a total until they taper off.  I started making deposits to the UBF account as of September 1st, so all new funds would be recorded with the new month.

If anyone would like to make a donation, payments can be sent via PayPal to me directly at CellarDweller115@yahoo.com, or you can PM me and I'll give you my address, so you can mail funds directly to me.   A few non-US members have asked in the past if they can mail me a check, unfortunately, that answer is no.  For me to deposit a check that is not from a US bank will result in exchange rates and fees, and most likely be more than the amount of your donation.  Members who are not from the US will have to donate (if they chose to) through PayPal.

Expect an update soon, and thanks for your generosity!

Edward Berger to Direct Cumberbatch, Gyllenhaal in Thriller ‘Rio’

“Patrick Melrose” director Edward Berger is re-teaming with Benedict Cumberbatch for the thriller “Rio” with Cumberbatch and Jake Gyllenhaal producing and starring.

“Call Me by Your Name” helmer Luca Guadagnino had been attached last year to direct “Rio,” but fell out due to scheduling commitments. Production companies Studiocanal, Sunnymarch, and Nine Stories confirmed the attachments of Berger, Cumberbatch, and Gyllenhaal on Friday.   Producers on “Rio” are Cumberbatch and Adam Ackland through SunnyMarch, and Gyllenhaal and Riva Marker through Nine Stories. Ron Halpern and Shana Eddy are overseeing for Studiocanal.

The story, written by Steven Knight, centers on two old friends who meet again in Rio de Janeiro — one, a journalist played by Gyllenhaal, and the other, a hugely successful financier, portrayed by Cumberbatch.

Edward Berger to Direct Cumberbatch, Gyllenhaal in Thriller ‘Rio’

For Gay Indians, Landmark Ruling Is Just the Beginning

Even as gay activists in India celebrated on Friday, a day after a landmark Supreme Court ruling ended the country’s ban on gay sex, they were preparing for resistance to the decision.

Among the pressing questions left unresolved by the ruling: Will the authorities drop the countless criminal cases that had been filed under the Victorian-era law that had made consensual gay sex a crime? What will happen if a gay couple shows up at a registrar’s office and asks to be married? Will gay people be able to pursue cases of harassment based on sexual orientation?

At the forefront of many people’s minds was how to translate the court’s lofty language — “History owes an apology” to gay people, one justice said — into practical gains. India is still a deeply conservative, incredibly diverse nation of 1.3 billion that often feels more like a continent than a country.

For Gay Indians, Landmark Ruling Is Just the Beginning

Chechnya Gay Purge’s Forgotten Lesbian and Transgender Victims

It has been more than a year since news emerged of a crisis unfolding in Chechnya. Hundreds of gay men were being abducted and held in makeshift prison camps, where they were being tortured and killed.  A report published in the independent Russian newspaper Novaya Gazeta in April 2017 described how at least 100 men had been detained, with many more missing.

The crisis is still ongoing and human rights groups are working to evacuate those under threat from the region. But the gay purge, as it has been dubbed, is not just affecting men—lesbian and transgender women are being targeted, too.

Zamira (not her real name), a transgender woman from Chechnya, tells PinkNews she found out about the anti-LGBT purge last year. Although she didn’t believe it for a long time, she lived her life in hiding.

“I did not go out, I communicated with very few people. So I saw this information online only and like many others I believed that it was not true,”  she says, speaking on condition of anonymity. “Until the moment they started to hunt me.”

Chechnya Gay Purge’s Forgotten Lesbian and Transgender Victims

Keira Knightley on Bisexual Writer Colette's Modern Importance

Rule-busting bisexual writer Colette gets the attention she deserves in the new film from out director Wash Westmoreland (Still Alice), set to be released September 21. Keira Knightley steps into the titular role in Colette, as the woman behind the Claudine novels who enthralled Belle Epoque-era Paris — even if her husband, Willy (played by Dominic West), took all of the credit. Colette was brash, sexy, and way ahead of her time, and her early novels, written under Willy’s name, depicted a young woman’s sexual awakening with kink and verve.

The biopic begins with Colette’s marriage to Willy, her move to Paris from the country, and her rise as a star of any salon she attended. Westmoreland’s film also follows Colette's sexual awakening as she proclaims and acts on her attraction to other women. Eventually, she and her husband embark on a polyamorous relationship, during which she takes female lovers.  Colette finally settles on one lover in particular, the wealthy Missy (Denise Gough), who dresses in men’s clothes and uses male pronouns.

Keira Knightley on Bisexual Writer Colette's Modern Importance

Transgender In Hollywood Roundtable

Variety has recently held a roundtable discussion that was filmed for YouTube, and was on the topic of "Transgender in Hollywood" and the discrimination that transgender people who work in Hollywood face.

Participants in the discussion are:   Laverne Cox ("Orange is The New Black"), Trace Lysette ("Transparent"), Chaz Bono ("American Horror Story: Cult"), Jen Richards ("Her Story"), Alexandra Billings ("Transparent"), and Brian Michael ("Queen Sugar").

To view the roundtable, click the link below to go to the video on YouTube.

Transgender In Hollywood Roundtable

‘I’m A Sapiosexual — Here’s What That Means’

I Recently discovered I’m a Sapiosexual.

I was pretty shocked to make this curious discovery at the age of 48. I thought I had come to know myself quite intimately over the last five decades. But I’d just embarked on my virgin voyage to planet ‘Bumble’, the dating app that promised to deliver a string of eligible, professional bachelors directly to my iPhone, when a kind nerdy-looking guy — Steve (49) — appeared on my screen with the words ‘Sapiosexual’ beside his name.  “Ewwwwww”, I screamed as I swiftly swiped left on Sapiosexual Steve. It all sounded like far too many shades of kink for me.

I’d done my due diligence before venturing into the world of modern dating apps. I’d familiarized myself with all the lingo. I knew all about Ghosting and Catfishing and Benching and Breadcrumbing and Half-night standing. Yep. That’s actually a thing now (Done it. Didn’t even realize). But nowhere had I seen or been warned about these so-called ‘Sapiosexuals’.

‘I’m A Sapiosexual — Here’s What That Means’

How to Be An Ally in India

So you want to be an ally to the LGBTQI community? Here’s a starter kit.

With this, India will no longer consider people who have consensual relationships with other adults in private, criminals on par with rapists and murderers.

The Supreme Court’s verdict on Section 377 on Thursday is an important moment for the LGBTQI+ community in India. After 157 years, a draconian law that has considered queer people criminals on par with rapists and murderers, for just choosing to live their truth, has been read down. It’s a bittersweet moment for the community, because this is only one step towards social justice for large parts of the community who are vulnerable on many counts. As others have pointed out much more coherently, this does not automatically remove hurdles to employment, housing, healthcare, and a life of dignity for a large number of people.

But that said, this is an important judgment – for all of India and not just the queer community – for the opportunities it presents. The verdict is, for many people, a chance to engage with the issue and learn about the community, and to find ways to counter the discrimination queer people face in the country.

How to Be An Ally in India

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://www.ultimatebrokebackforum.com.

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 11:31:16 PM »

Tuesday, September 18th, 2018

Passing the Plate - A Huge Success

Hello UBF members!  As you all know, a few weeks ago, we started a new round of fundraising to help keep the Ultimate Brokeback Forum online.

When the September statement for the forum account is released, the activity will be posted in the BBM Forum Financials-Update and New Hoster thread.  However, that will not be until one point in October.  Since we seem to have received all the donations that we will get (for now) I see no reason to not post this information here, and let you all have the status.

When we started this round of fundraising the forum account had a balance of $39.33.  As of Tuesday (September 18th) the forum account has a balance of $951.00.  This is enough to keep UBF online for another 4 years - paying the monthly fee, as well as the annual renewal fees.  We don't anticipate having to ask for more donations until late 2022.

Thank you so much for your generosity!

Walker, Ricci and Maxwell Will Be in "Percy"

The great Christopher Walken and Christina Ricci, will be starring in a new independent film called Percy which is currently in production in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Everybody loves Christopher Walken so it's great to see him land another movie role!  The cast also includes Roberta Maxwell (Ma Twist in Brokeback Mountain) as Percy’s wife.

The film, based on events from a 1998 lawsuit, follows small-town Saskatchewan farmer (Walken) who challenges major conglomerate when the company’s genetically modified (GMO) canola is discovered in the 70-year-old farmer’s crop. As he speaks out against the company’s business practices, he realizes he is representing thousands of other disenfranchised farmers around the world fighting the same battle.

Walker, Ricci and Maxwell Will Be in "Percy"

Serbian PM, Belgrade Mayor Join Gay-Pride Parade

Serbia's prime minister and the mayor of Belgrade have joined several hundred lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) activists and their supporters in the center of Belgrade for a gay-pride parade.  Several hundred revelers marched from Slavija Square to Students Square on September 16, with the city center sealed off by police, for the final event of Belgrade Pride Week 2018.

Prime Minister Ana Brnabic and the capital's new mayor, Zoran Radojcic, were among the participants.  Brnabic, the first openly gay prime minister in the Balkan region and the first Serbian woman in the top job, attended the event last year, along with the ministers of labor and state administration, as well as the city's mayor at the time.

The rally ended without a major security incident at around 4 p.m. local time, RFE/RL correspondents at the scene said.

Serbian PM, Belgrade Mayor Join Gay-Pride Parade

A Discovery of Witches

It’s been 16 years, 4 months and 7 days since Buffy the Vampire Slayer dramatically parted iconic lesbian witch duo Willow and Tara, and there’s finally a new game in town.  People are getting hyped for a new TV show that features Doctor Who star Alex Kingston as a lesbian witch.

TV drama A Discovery of Witches, which debuts in the UK this evening, introduces a new lesbian witch couple we just can’t wait to meet.

Based on the All Souls trilogy by Deborah Harkness, A Discovery of Witches follows witch and historian Diana Bishop as she seeks to unravel the secrets of the magical world, crossing paths by mysterious vampire Matthew Clairmont.  The “reluctant witch” was raised by her aunt Sarah Bishop, a witch who lives with her long-time partner and fellow witch Emily Mather. The pair taught Diana how to use her powers to fight in a centuries-old struggle between supernatural beings.

A Discovery of Witches

Rami Malek Hits Back at Claims That Biopic Erases Mercury's Bisexuality

He is set to transform into music icon Freddie Mercury in the forthcoming Queen biopic Bohemian Rhapsody.   And Rami Malek has hit back at those that criticised the film for not portraying the singer's identity as a bisexual man, as well as claims it avoided portraying his battle with AIDS.  The actor, 37, spoke in an interview with Attitude magazine, released on Thursday, about the response, saying: 'It's a shame that people are making remarks after a minute teaser where you just wanna see the music. It's difficult.'

"First, let me say that I don't think the film shies away from his sexuality or his all-consuming disease, which is obviously AIDS.  I don't know how you could avoid any of that, or if anyone would ever want to. It's a bit absurd that anyone's judging this from a minute trailer."

The first trailer for the film received a lot of criticism for its seemingly overt erasure of Mercury’s identity, as it contained scenes where he flirted with a woman, while making no reference to his same-sex relationships.  Writer Bryan Fuller was one of many who vocalised his frustrations on Twitter, and said: 'ANYONE ELSE MILDLY ANNOYED (enough to tweet about it) THAT THE #BohemianRapsody TRAILER FEATURES GAY/BI SUPERSTAR FREDDIE MERCURY FLIRTING WITH A WOMAN BUT NO INDICATION OF HIS LOVE OF MEN? (sic)'

Rami Malek Hits Back at Claims That Biopic Erases Mercury's Bisexuality

What High School Is Like for Transgender Students

Emme, a transgender high school student, first started struggling with her gender identity when she was around 11 or 12 years old, she says. When she started going through puberty and her body began changing physically, she realized quickly she was unhappy, and took time to figure out what she needed and wanted to feel better. After coming out to her mother and father, she says they had a lot of questions and had to do their own emotional work about her decisions, but that they were also consistently supportive of her. While she’s grateful for the love and “fierce advocacy” she says her family has provided her, she also says that being young and transgender can be “painfully lonely.”

“In my first years of transition, when people around me knew I was trans because I was visibly trans, I experienced deep discomfort in nearly every situation,” she told Teen Vogue, adding that, “There is an ever-present discordance between the internal conception and external perception, feeling of insufficiency when you try and eventually fail to make the two match. I stopped using the bathroom at school or any other public place, stopped going to gym class, and eventually to the rest of my classes too.”

And research and stories surrounding transgender people’s ability to exist safely in public spaces like schools and specifically bathrooms, is not solely a problem for Emme — in fact, it’s a nationwide issue. That’s why a new back to school season campaign from GLSEN and MAP (Movement Advancement Project) is focusing on telling the stories of young transgender people and highlighting the need for trans youth to have the same access to school facilities as their cisgender peers.

What High School Is Like for Transgender Students

Intersex Care Is Now Available in a Guide For Providers. Finally.

A new guide for Intersex care has been released in the wake of the passage of SCR-110 in California. SCR-110 formally condemned unnecessary genital surgery on Intersex infants.  The guide was jointly released by Lambda Legal,  InterACT and Proskauer Rose LLP.  The publication is the first Intersex-affirming hospital policy report of its kind. It was specifically designed to provide guidance for ethical and compassionate health care to Intersex patients.

“Intersex is an umbrella term used to describe a wide range of natural variations in sex characteristics that do not seem to fit typical binary notions of male or female bodies,” the guide starts.  “Between 0.05% and 1.7% of the population is born with Intersex traits,” it goes on. “These traits may be visible at birth, at puberty, or, in the case of some variations, not at all.”

Intersex people are often conflated with transgender and gender non-conforming people, but are a distinct category, and often require different care from medical professionals.  The term “Intersex” refers to those with inborn variations to their physical bodies that do not first common binary expectations, while “Transgender” typically refers to those whose gender differs from their assigned or presumed sex when born.

Intersex Care Is Now Available in a Guide For Providers. Finally.

Finding a Doctor Who Is an LGBTQ+ Ally

Once, at a medical appointment, I saw a nurse who seemed unable to wrap his head around the fact that I was sexually active but not on birth control. I wasn’t sleeping with cisgender men at the time; I didn’t need pregnancy protection. Even though I explained this, he prodded me with more questions about my sexual orientation than needles to draw my blood.

I’m a queer, white, cis woman with access to money, transportation, insurance, and other resources that allow me immense privilege. I’ve still had trouble finding doctors and other medical professionals who act as LGBTQ+ allies. To me, a medical LGBTQ+ ally is well-versed in the correct language to describe my sexuality, doesn’t automatically assume I’m straight just because I’m femme, doesn’t say or do offensive things when I correct them, is committed to understanding how my sexuality might influence my health, and generally treats me with respect.

The National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities has identified the LGBTQ+ community as a “health disparity population” due, in part, to our lowered health care access. Unfortunately, some of this comes down to LGBTQ+ patients avoiding medical treatment due to past discrimination and fear of stigma. When LGBTQ+ people belong to other marginalized groups, such as being a person of color or having a disability, it only becomes more difficult to find accessible, non-biased care.

Finding a Doctor Who Is an LGBTQ+ Ally

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 05:04:45 PM »

Tuesday, September 25th, 2018

Passing the Plate - A Huge Success

Hello UBF members!  As you all know, a few weeks ago, we started a new round of fundraising to help keep the Ultimate Brokeback Forum online.

When the September statement for the forum account is released, the activity will be posted in the BBM Forum Financials-Update and New Hoster thread.  However, that will not be until one point in October.  Since we seem to have received all the donations that we will get (for now) I see no reason to not post this information here, and let you all have the status.

When we started this round of fundraising the forum account had a balance of $39.33.  As of Tuesday (September 18th) the forum account has a balance of $951.00.  This is enough to keep UBF online for another 4 years - paying the monthly fee, as well as the annual renewal fees.  We don't anticipate having to ask for more donations until late 2022.

Thank you so much for your generosity!

Food is Woven Into the Plot in This Ang Lee Masterpiece

In the years following his graduation from film school in the United States, Ang Lee spent a lot of time at home cooking and looking after his children while his wife went out to work. Food, Lee has recalled in interviews, became in those days a way of expressing his love for his family and he hoped he would be able to bring those sentiments to screen one day.

Eat Drink Man Woman (1994), the third and finest in Lee’s ‘Father Knows Best’ trilogy (Pushing Hands and The Wedding Banquet being the other two), is a culmination of some of those early experiences.

The film revolves around taciturn ex-chef Chu (Sihung Lung) who regularly cooks elaborate meals at home for his three daughters. There are long sequences with little-to-no dialogue where we see him arduously preparing a variety of tempting dishes as if for a banquet, treating the food with his hands — chopping, flaying and stirring — and finally laying them out on the dinner table as if also for the viewers to feast their eyes on.

The film’s secondary plotlines too have food woven into them in one way or another. Lee has described the difficulties — hours of preparation, exactness of timing and enlisting of real chefs — of shooting food in the film. And this was all to make the food appear exciting to the point of seeming seductive.

Food is Woven Into the Plot in This Ang Lee Masterpiece

Cardinal Removes Priest Who Burned LGBT Flag at Avondale Church

A Northwest Side priest has been removed about a week after he burned a rainbow flag outside his church.

Protesters had been demanding Cardnial Blase Cupich take action against the Rev. Paul Kalchik after he ignored the cardinal's warning and burned a rainbow flag with a cross on it on Sept. 14. Kalchik had been at Resurrection Church since 2007. Before he took over at Resurrection, the flag hung inside the church.

The priest told the Chicago Sun-Times he burned the flag because he did not "sit well" with Cupich who he said is trying to minimize the Catholic Church's sex abuse scandal. Kalchick said he was sexually abused as a child and again at 19 by a priest, the Sun-Times said.

Cardinal Removes Priest Who Burned LGBT Flag at Avondale Church

Kenya Lifts Ban on Lesbian Film 'Rafiki' Making it Eligible For Oscars

A Kenyan high court has temporarily lifted the ban on 'Rafiki' a movie about love between two women.  The ruling will allow Kenyan adults to view the movie for the first time in the country for just one week.

The film was banned by Kenya's Film and Classification Board (KFCB) in April because of its lesbian theme.  Kenya's Film and Classification Board (KFCB) said 'Rafiki' was banned because of intent to "promote lesbianism," in the country.  "The film has been restricted due to its homosexual theme and clear intent to promote lesbianism in Kenya contrary to the law," a statement from the board said.

Its director Wanuri Kahiu filed a lawsuit earlier this month challenging the censorship board's ruling.  Kahiu's lawyers argued that banning the film violated her constitutional right to free speech and free expression as an artist.  Reacting to the high court judgment, Kahiu posted an emotional statement on Twitter.  "I am crying. In a french airport. In SUCH Joy! Our constitution is STRONG! Give thanks to freedom of expression!!!! WE DID IT! We will be posting about Nairobi screening soon," she said.

Kenya Lifts Ban on Lesbian Film 'Rafiki' Making it Eligible For Oscars

Bi Visibility Day

Director Desiree Akhavan is tired of hearing tropes about bisexuality.  The Iranian-American filmmaker, who recently tackled the issue of gay conversion therapy in the film The Miseducation of Cameron Post, has been outspoken about her experience as a bisexual woman.  She recently addressed the issue of bi-erasure ahead of the release of Channel 4’s TV comedy series The Bisexual, which she wrote and directed as well as playing the lead role.

“It’s complicated—there isn’t a face of bisexuality and it feels disingenuous,” she said at an event at London’s BFI Southbank earlier this month.

She continued: “If I’m walking down the street with a woman, I’m a lesbian.  “I realized recently every time I did anything people said ‘bisexual Desiree’ and I felt like it was a deeply embarrassing thing. They always said: ‘she f***s men and women.’ If they’d said lesbian I’d have been like f*** yeah but it was embarrassing."

Bi Visibility Day

NHS Sued for Failure to Help Transgender Patients With Fertility

NHS England is to be taken to court by the UK’s equality watchdog for failing to offer fertility services to transgender patients.  The Equality and Human Rights Commission will launch a high-profile judicial review action, a legal manoeuvre that is likely to prove controversial at a time when the NHS is struggling to balance budgets and provide core services.

Last month the Observer reported that the commission had written to NHS England putting it on notice that it needed to offer fertility services to transgender patients before they underwent treatment for gender dysphoria, a process that normally results in a loss of fertility.

By extracting and storing eggs and sperm before they undergo gender reassignment, transgender people can choose to have their biological children delivered via surrogates later in life. However, many are keen to proceed with treatment when they are teenagers, and may not have the resources to pay for such fertility services. This, the commission argues, discriminates against transgender people, whom it says should be offered the services as a standard procedure.

NHS Sued for Failure to Help Transgender Patients With Fertility

9 Things I Wish People Knew About Asexuality

The word “asexuality” might conjure up memories from ninth grade biology, where you learned about animals that can reproduce without having sex. But when I say the word “asexuality,” I’m talking about the human sexual orientation—one that’s existed for a long time, but that’s only really entered the cultural conversation over the past two decades.

Since asexuality is fairly “new” as far as sexualities go, it’s pretty easily misunderstood. Sometimes, it’s conflated with celibacy. Other times, it’s conflated with abstaining from relationships altogether. Neither of these things are necessarily the case—at least, not for everyone who identifies as asexual.

At the link below, the author addresses those misconceptions, as well as seven other things I wish people understood about asexuality.

9 Things I Wish People Knew About Asexuality

Becoming an Ally

The Center for Student Involvement will be providing an opportunity for UWG students to receive Safe Zone training on Sept. 25.

UWG provides a variety of opportunities to develop and become informed about the abundance of diversity that is present on campus. Safe Zone training has been one of the primary tools that the university has used for this purpose since 2004.  This training will be presented at an event called, “Safe Zone Leadership Track: Safe Zone To Go,”on Sept. 25. The event will include a series of workshops and trainings about Safe Zone, and will help students to further understand sexual identity and also explore ways that they can help students by being an ally to the LGBTQ community.

“Safe Zone is a space where you can feel supported and celebrated with who you are, and as an ally it is important to create those spaces for students to be genuinely who they are” said Lo Denmon, Inclusion Resource Specialist for the Center for Diversity and Inclusion.

Denmon also explained how it is important for UWG to incorporate and have Safe Zone available on campus.

Becoming an Ally

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 05:54:40 PM »

Tuesday, October 2nd, 2018

New Thread - Diamonds in YouTube's Rough

Hello UBF members!  Today's lead story is to let you know about a new thread that has been started here.

foreverinawe has created a new thread called "Diamonds in YouTube's Rough".  The purpose of the thread is to discuss and share YouTube videos that you are moved by, in some way.

So far, we have had videos posted regarding the short film "Brotherly", "From Beginning To End", fan made Brokeback Mountain videos, and some figure skating videos.

Have you seen a video on YouTube that you want to talk about?  Join us in the thread, and put a link to your video, and let us see the diamonds that you've found as well!

Diamonds in YouTube's Rough

Mulligan and Gyllenhaal Are 'Perfection' in "Wildlife"

Wildlife is a period drama set in the 1960s and is mostly shown from the point of view of quiet teenager Joe (Ed Oxenbould), who finds his typical family life upended when his father Jerry (Jake Gyllenhaal) loses his job and decides to leave for a role fighting forest fires for an indefinite period. This in turn prompts Joe’s mother Jeanette (Carey Mulligan) to have an identity crisis of her own and Joe navigating what is left of his broken family.

Carey Mulligan has always chosen complicated women to portray throughout her career (especially opposite Michael Fassbender in Shame) and Jeanette is no different. An educated and capable housewife who chose to take care of her husband and son full-time is thrust into circumstances that require her intelligence and practical side once more, but this resultantly causes a downward spiral that transforms her into a selfish woman lost in nostalgia and regret. If there’s any justice in the world then this brittle performance will bag the Brit another Oscar nomination.

Gyllenhaal is equally effective as the proud, confused and selfish father Jerry, whose own deluded search for happiness could push his family over the edge. His decision to put out the huge forest fires means he creates an equally destructive time at home, in a metaphor that won't be lost on most viewers.

Mulligan and Gyllenhaal Are "Perfection" in Wildlife

Gay Teacher in Zimbabwe Resigns After Death Threats

A gay deputy headmaster of a boys' school in Zimbabwe has resigned after death threats and pressure from parents.  Neal Hovelmeier, who worked at St John's College in the capital, Harare, faced huge criticism and threats from parents after he revealed his sexual orientation to his students at an assembly September 21.

Hovelmeier came out after a local newspaper threatened to write an article exposing his sexuality. He told CNN the paper "felt that did not sit well with my position in a boys' school in a conservative country."   After consulting with school authorities and his lawyer, Hovelmeier decided to address the issue of homophobia by using himself as an example. A communique was also sent home informing parents that the teacher had come out.

A parents' meeting was held Monday to discuss the issue, but videos circulating on social media show the meeting ended in chaos. "When the report was released to parents, some parents felt strongly about this and did not approve," Hovelmeier said.

Gay Teacher in Zimbabwe Resigns After Death Threats

Indian Court Finds in Favor of Lesbian Couple

A court in the southern Indian state of Kerala recently ruled that a lesbian couple have the right to cohabitate, relying on a landmark Sept. 6 decision by India's highest court that struck down the country's colonial-era law against homosexual acts. The overturned law, known as Section 377, had made gay sex acts punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

On Sept. 12, attorney Preetha K. K. submitted court papers challenging the “Commissioner of Police & Others” of infringing on her client's rights by committing the woman to a mental institution against her will after she left her parents' home to live with her female partner. The woman's parents are among the "others" mentioned in the court papers.

The court documents describe the 24-year-old woman, Aruna, and her partner, 40-year-old Sreeja S., as being in a relationship and states "they are unable to separate and they intend to live together as life partners."  Indian court documents often only list the first names of the parties involved.

The trouble began in August when Aruna’s parents filed a missing person report with authorities. According to an affidavit provided to NBC News by the couple’s attorney, Aruna had left her parents after telling them she intended to live with her life partner, Sreeja. But, acting upon the missing person claim from Aruna’s parents, local police found and produced Aruna in court.

Indian Court Finds in Favor of Lesbian Couple

‘The Bisexual’: First Trailer For Desiree Akhavan’s Comedy

“Bisexuality is a myth, it was created by ad executives to sell flavoured vodka”. That’s one take in Desiree Akhavan’s forthcoming comedy The Bisexual for UK’s Channel 4 and Hulu.  The broadcasters have unveiled the first trailer for the comedy, which is produced by Sister Pictures label Hootenanny.

The show, which launches in the UK on October 10 at 10pm, look at the difference of dating men and women from the perspective of a person who finds herself doing both.

It was created by and stars Girls alum and The Miseducation of Cameron Post director. She plays New Yorker Leila who is feeling lost in London. Split from her girlfriend she moves in with a ‘stranger off the internet’ and discovers she’s swapped her luxe old life for a house-share with a British guy who’s only other female ‘flat-mate’ was his mother. Their worlds collide in awkward and revealing ways as he becomes her unlikely wingman and helps her to navigate a new life dating men.

‘The Bisexual’: First Trailer For Desiree Akhavan’s Comedy

Pentagon Caught 'Flat-Footed' by Trump Tweets on Transgender Ban

President Donald Trump said that he consulted "my generals" before announcing via tweet last July a ban on transgender individuals serving in the military, but a new batch of internal emails reinforced the view that the Pentagon was blindsided.

"Everyone was caught flat-footed," Air Force Brig. Gen. Kyle Kremer, director of manpower and personnel for the Joint Chiefs, wrote to Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Joseph Dunford and Air Force Gen. Paul Selva, the vice chairman, following Trump's July 26, 2017, series of tweets.

The emails, many of them heavily redacted, were obtained under a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit by the liberal watchdog group American Oversight and were the subject of a report Friday by BuzzFeed News.  "Wow -- that was a surprise," Anthony Kurta, who was then performing the duties of undersecretary of defense for personnel and readiness, wrote to another Pentagon official whose name was redacted, BuzzFeed reported.

In a series of July 2017 tweets, Trump wrote, "After consultation with my Generals and military experts, please be advised that the United States Government will not accept or allow transgender individuals to serve in any capacity in the U.S. Military."

Pentagon Caught 'Flat-Footed' by Trump Tweets on Transgender Ban

Intersex Model Gaby Odiele

"There is no such thing as normal...defiance has no uniform."

In the past, when designers and brands have tried their hand at genderless collections, the result has often looked like boys with long hair in hyper-feminine dresses and nail polish, or women with shaved heads and severe features. Of course, gender nonconforming people are people with a multitude of personal styles, but dressing one gender up in the signifiers of the other falls flat, and feels like an opportunity missed.

Rebellion, insurrection, and subversion was the theme of John Galliano’s spring 2019 Maison Margiela show in Paris. The voices of models Hanne Gaby Odiele, Teddy Quinlivan, and Molly Bair, and singers Willow Smith and Princess Nokia, among others, echoed around the room, their definitions of mutiny soundtracking the models as they took the runway.

And what were these mutineers sending up, exactly? The gender binary, for one. Unquestioned conformity, too. Galliano’s band of outsiders were rallying against anything that has ever restricted a person from being their true self. At a time when it seems trite or disingenuous to put a cause at the center of your brand, Maison Margiela’s feels like a legitimate call to action.  One of the six mutineers, Belgian model Hanne Gaby Odiele, also walked in the show, so who better to talk to about the collection, the fragrance, and the incoming revolution?

Intersex Model Gaby Odiele

Vanguard Awards Celebrates a Growing LGBT Center and New Allies

Vanguard was the fitting name for an Awards celebration that happened on Saturday night, September 22 for the Los Angeles LGBT Center’s annual awards ceremony at the Beverly Hilton Hotel.

Many of Los Angeles’ most notable and generous LGBTQIA people from around the world came out to make a major philanthropy push for the beginning of the 50th anniversary of the nation’s oldest LGBT non-profit organization.  The gathering, attended by more than 1500 people, may even have retired the underlying mortgage on the now under-construction Anita May Rosenstein campus building, as a result. And that was in no small part made possible by some of the notables the Center honored.

The night began with a simple and loving tribute to a mom, but not just any mom. Ariadne Getty, 56, an actress and granddaughter of John Paul Getty, was introduced by her children.

Nats, a 25 year old fashion designer who is set to marry transgender model and pop-star Gigi Gorgeous, portrayed her mother as a vibrant, accepting and engaged woman who she once found holding court after a late night party at their home. “I went downstairs and found mom cooking food and serving drinks for a kitchen full of drag queens.” Her brother August, 24, an internationally known fashion designer who recently opened a boutique in Beverly Hills, August Getty Atelier, said he didn’t have to come out, “I just told her I was going on a date with the room service guy and that was that.”

Vanguard Awards Celebrates a Growing LGBT Center and New Allies

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 08:53:23 PM »

Tuesday, October 9th, 2018

James Schamus On Streaming Algorithms

James Schamus has been through many career stages. For 12 years, he ran Focus Features, bringing the sensibilities of a veteran independent producer and cinephile into the studio arena, where he shepherded along revered arthouse hits ranging from “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” to “Brokeback Mountain.” Focus owner Universal fired Schamus during a period of restructuring for the company in 2012, and he chose to avoid the same path for his next move.

“After I got fired, I made a very conscious decision not to keep my status, figure out how to get my ticket to the Academy Awards, or attach myself to all these projects as an executive producer so I could be on the red carpet,” he said, during a public conversation at the 10th annual GlobeScreen Conference in Manhattan on Wednesday night. “I decided to take the smallest financing deal that I could. It was hard.” He turned a lot of offers. “Most investors said, ‘Let’s start a new studio.’ A lot of this was coming out of Asia. I ended up convincing people to do a deal that was a tenth percent of the deal I wanted to do.”

With his production company Symbolic Exchange, Schamus refocused his attention on smaller productions. “I wanted to go back and make super low-budget films,” he said. “I had no interest in going back to the Oscars for a while. I’d been there 25 years. I just wanted to work with first and second-time directors on extremely low budgets, below union rates.” One of these was his own directorial debut, an adaptation of Phillip Roth’s “Indignation,” which Summit released after its 2016 Sundance premiere. Another was Kitty Green’s innovative true-crime documentary “Casting JonBenet,” which was picked up by Netflix at Sundance, providing the veteran distribution executive with a new perspective on the intricacies of the streaming platform.

James Schamus On Streaming Algorithms

CNN Reporter Kaitlan Collins Apologizes After Gay Slur Tweets Resurface

Past tweets with gay slurs by CNN White House reporter Kaitlan Collins resurfaced Sunday, prompting an apology.  After the publication of this article, Collins apologized for her "immature" behavior in college.

The old tweets dating back to at least 2011 were reemphasized by observers on social media, including the gay Republican group Log Cabin Republicans.  In one tweet dated July 20, 2011, Collins replies to someone using the word "fag." In a June 8 tweet from the same year, Collins replies to someone saying, "idk if I want to room with a lesbian."  The acronym "IDK" is commonly understood online to mean "I don't know."

The tweets pre-date Collins' time at CNN. She worked at the conservative Daily Caller before CNN, but these tweets were from when she was in college at the University of Alabama.

CNN Reporter Kaitlan Collins Apologizes After Gay Slur Tweets Resurface

The Lesbian Who Outed Scientology’s Homophobia

One of Michelle LeClair’s twin children, aged almost 10, wrote in a recent class project, “I want to be a lawyer so I can fight for my family.”  LeClair, 45, teared up recalling this to The Daily Beast, and it wasn’t the only time she would do so in an interview in which she told her long and complicated story about being gay and feeling persecuted by the Church of Scientology, where she was a member for over 20 years, from age 18 to 40.

The Church denies any notion that it is homophobic, and claims LeClair is “manufacturing controversies to divert attention from the fact that she bilked millions of dollars” from investors in a Ponzi scheme.

In her revealing book Perfectly Clear: Escaping Scientology and Fighting for the Woman I Love (Berkley, $27, written with Robin Gaby Fisher), LeClair tells the story of a church that, she claimed, did not seek to help her escape from what she alleges was an abusive heterosexual marriage; and one which allegedly turned against her when she made it clear she was in love with Tena, the woman she fell for.

The Lesbian Who Outed Scientology’s Homophobia

Is TV Finally Getting Bisexuality Right?

When Desiree Akhavan’s debut film Appropriate Behaviour was released in 2014, she found herself having to do interviews for the first time. As an actor, writer and director, there were plenty of prefixes available, but she started to notice that when she was introduced, it was as something else. “Always as ‘the bisexual film-maker’, ‘the bisexual writer’,” she recalls. It wasn’t that it was untrue; the film was about a bisexual character and Akhavan wasn’t hiding her own bisexuality. “But for some reason, when I heard it, it just felt deeply humiliating and personal, like, ‘the bedwetter Desiree Akhavan’. I guess I wanted to make something that chased why.”

To examine those feelings, Akhavan came up with The Bisexual, an excruciatingly funny and frank new six-part Channel 4 comedy drama, through which discomfort runs like a river. It follows a woman in her early 30s, Leila (played by Akhavan), as she leaves her girlfriend (Maxine Peake) and begins to date men. Akhavan says that, towards the end of her own long-term relationship with a woman, she realised she had the makings of “a really great reverse coming-out story ... And my dad, who was so hard to come out to, was suddenly like, what about your audience?” She laughs. “You built a niche for yourself as a lesbian, what a betrayal. And that came into it a lot. It’s funny, because afterwards I fell in love with a woman immediately, but at the time it was like, oh, you’re definitely going to betray her for men. That was the understanding that everyone had.”

Is TV Finally Getting Bisexuality Right?

Scientists Discover Link Between Genes and Being Transgender

Researchers at the Hudson Institute of Medical Research in Melbourne, Australia, have discovered that gender dysphoria may have a biological basis.  The study examined the genetic variations of 380 transgender women and compared them to those of non-transgender men.

Within the transgender women, they found a significant over-representation of four genes that are involved in processing sex hormones. This variation suggests a potential biological reason why certain people experience gender dysphoria.  Those behind the study propose that these genetic variations can affect the male brain’s ability to process androgen, meaning that the brain develops differently in a way that is less “masculine” and more “feminine,” contributing to gender dysphoria in transgender women.

The study has been deemed the largest and most comprehensive of its kind by lead author Professor Vincent Harley.  Speaking to the Australian Broadcasting Company, Harley said: “While it should not hinge on science to validate people’s individuality and lived experience, these findings may help to reduce discrimination.”

Scientists Discover Link Between Genes and Being Transgender

What It's Really Like To Be Aromantic

If you clicked on this article thinking, I have no idea what aromantic means, then you're not alone. Despite many people identifying this way, aromanticism is rarely talked about in the same way other LGBTQ+ identities are. This leads to A LOT of misunderstanding about what it really means to be aromantic - or 'aro'. Here, three people who identify as aromantic explain what it's really like.

What does aromantic mean to you?

Jenny, 28, she/her: Well, the "official" definition is not feeling romantically attracted to others (or only rarely/under specific circumstances), but I define it for myself as not being able to fall in love.

Scarlett, 18, she/her, a barista: It’s a word that finally made my feelings make sense. A couple of years ago I was feeling like I was odd because I didn’t fall head over heels for people like I saw my friends doing. Aromantic just fit.

Steph, 27, she/her or they/them, editor at Stand Up magazine: Aromanticism is a broad spectrum, but it means people who do not, or rarely, experience romantic attraction. Romantic attraction is a specific form of attraction and does not always align with sexual attraction (or other forms of attraction such as aesthetic).

What It's Really Like To Be Aromantic

LGBT Leaders View Baker As An Ally, But A Quiet One

Charlie Baker in 2010 tapped an openly gay state senator from Wakefield as his running mate, and though they lost, Baker now says that it makes him "so happy" to know that it was his fault, and not prejudice against Richard Tisei.  Four years later and running again, Baker spoke publicly about his brother Alex coming out to him in the 1980s at the bar One Potato, Two Potato in Harvard Square, and how he told him, "That's okay." His campaign even featured the story prominently in a video as evidence of the Republican's inclusiveness.

But as the popular incumbent runs a third time seeking a second four-year term as governor, Baker's relationship with the LGBT community in Massachusetts is not unlike a lot of partnerships: It's complicated.

"I think there are people in the LGBT community who are absolutely supporters of his and there are many of us who want clear leadership, not reactive quiet support. It's hard to criticize him in this environment because national Republicans are far more hostile and he is not that, but it's hard to be grateful for just not being hostile," said Carl Sciortino, a former state lawmaker who works in government affairs for Fenway Health.

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 07:17:03 PM »

Tuesday, October 16th, 2018

Maggie Gyllenhaal on Heath Ledger

Maggie Gyllenhaal says Heath Ledger was "on a whole other level" as an actor.  The 40-year-old actress, who starred with Ledger in The Dark Knight, praised the late actor's performance in the 2008 movie during Wednesday's episode of Watch What Happens Live.

Gyllenhaal and Ledger played Rachel Dawes and the Joker in The Dark Knight, which opened in theaters six months after Ledger's death. Gyllenhaal shared a favorite memory of Ledger in the interview.

"I remember coming to work and seeing him -- that scene where the Joker throws me off a roof -- seeing him come in and start to do what he was doing. It was the first time I saw it and I still think about this sometimes," Gyllenhaal said.  "It's so hard to be good in a huge movie like that," she explained. "It's not about the acting, really. It's so much easier to be good in a little tiny movie where it's all about you."   "To be amazing like Heath was in a movie that's got explosions and huge stunt scenes and big sets is a whole other thing. I don't know if anyone's ever, ever done that as well as he did in The Dark Knight," the star lauded.

Host Andy Cohen praised Ledger's ability to command a scene.  "It felt like that on set, too," Gyllenhaal agreed. "It was like, 'Whoa, okay. You're on a whole other level.'"

Maggie Gyllenhaal on Heath Ledger

Being Gay And a Latter-day Saint

As a gay man raised as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, playwright Matthew Greene thought coming out would resolve some of his internal struggles.

“That ended up not being the case,” Greene said. "A lot of things got much, much better, but life got a lot more complicated.” Those complications — of reconciling a gay identity with an upbringing as a Latter-day Saint, of finding love in a way a church says is wrong — are the basis of Greene’s new one-man play, “Good Standing,” which will have its world premiere Thursday, Oct. 18, with Salt Lake City’s Plan-B Theatre Company.

Greene describes the play as “the most autobiographical thing I’ve ever written; it’s very much based in my experiences being a gay Mormon,” though the event it depicts is fictional.  The play follows a man named Curtis as he is called before a “court of love” with local church leaders, where he faces excommunication for the sin of marrying the man he loves.  “Usually I write about things that trouble me, or piss me off, or confuse me, as a way of working through all of that,” Greene said.

Being Gay And a Latter-day Saint

Polish Court Sides With Lesbian Couple

A lesbian couple has won the right to register their child in Poland, in an unprecedented ruling for the country.  The decision, handed down today (October 11) by the country’s Supreme Administrative Court, ends a three-year legal battle started by a Polish woman who tried to get her London-born son a Polish birth certificate, according to Reuters.  She and her female partner were registered as his parents in Britain, but Polish administrative officials rejected her attempts to do the same in the country.

After going to the highest administrative court in the land, the couple has now overturned that decision.  Same-sex partners in Poland are not allowed to have children, with adoption, surrogacy and IVF routes blocked off by regressive laws.

The country is one of several in Europe which has not legalised same-sex marriage or civil unions for gay couples and in August, its right-wing Defence Minister Mariusz Blaszczak called a Pride march in Poznan a “parade of sodomites.”  Pawel Knut, a lawyer for Polish LGBT+ rights group Campaign Against Homophobia, said: “This ruling will open up new legal possibilities for gay parents.”

Polish Court Sides With Lesbian Couple

Calling Willow From Buffy The Vampire Slayer a Lesbian is Bi Erasure

Though I’m a child of the 90s and early 2000s, I only watched Buffy The Vampire Slayer in its entirety last year. The show, about a group of underdogs taking on the supernatural entities in their town, was campy at times and thoroughly amusing.  With Halloween just around the corner, I’ve been seeing a lot of Buffy memes in my newsfeed — not to mention the buzz of a sequel in the works with a woman of color as the Slayer.

One of my favorite characters on the show was Willow Rosenberg (played by Alyson Hannigan).  Why did I relate to Willow so much? Like me, she’s a Jewish redhead. A bit quirky, nerdy, and, like myself, beginning to explore witchcraft. This past year, I have come to fully embrace my bisexual identity after years of uncertainty. Like Willow, understanding my sexuality was always a work in progress.

Over the course of Buffy, Willow had quite a few crushes (on both men and women) but two main romantic interests: Oz (played by the adorable Seth Green) and later, Tara (played by Amber Benson).  And honestly? If I had to ship her in either of those relationships, I’d pick her and Oz.

Calling Willow From Buffy The Vampire Slayer a Lesbian is Bi Erasure

Women’s Groups Claim ‘Silencing’ on Transgender Concerns

Nearly 200 prominent figures have signed an open letter raising concerns that public and private bodies are helping “close down discussion” about government plans to make it easier for trans people to have their preferred gender legally recognized.  Writers Marina Strinkovsky and Beatrix Campbell, actors James Dreyfus and Frances Barber, and Pragna Patel, the founder of the Southall Black Sisters Centre, are among 195 people to put their names to the letter, published in the Observer. “We believe the right to discuss proposed changes to the law is fundamental in a democratic society,” they write.

A government consultation on reforming the 2004 Gender Recognition Act (GRA) closes at the end of this week. When she launched it last month, the minister for women and equalities, Penny Mordaunt, said the government particularly wanted to hear “from women’s groups who we know have expressed some concerns about the implications of our proposals”.  But, according to the letter’s signatories, there have been a “series of attempts to close down discussion among women about GRA reform”.

Women’s Groups Claim ‘Silencing’ on Transgender Concerns

Meet the Genderqueer Pop Star You Didn’t Realize You Need in Your Life

Music rarely moves me to tears but there are two tracks on the new album by Planningtorock that hit like an emotional sledgehammer. Both are candid tracks relating to childhood and family life that push very different buttons.  They contribute towards a unique and stunning piece of work – Powerhouse – that deserves to be recognized as one of the very finest albums of 2018.

Until a few weeks ago, I was unfamiliar with Planningtorock: the band name for British musician Jam Rostron. This is despite the fact they produce exactly the sort of work that pricks my ears: minimal electro-flavoured dance tunes with a queer bent.

Powerhouse is their fourth album after something of a hiatus. Planningtorock’s debut, Have It All came out in 2006.  They then signed to the DFA label to release W in 2011, followed by All Love’s Legal in 2014. The latter caught attention with unflinchingly political song titles: Let’s Talk About Gender Baby; Misogyny Drop Dead; and Patriarchy Over & Out.

In an interview via Skype from Berlin (where they have lived since 2000), Rostron tells me they began to identify as qenderqueer around 2010, and as non-binary around the release of All Love’s Legal. Rostron’s identity – and the way the wider world reacts to it – has clearly influenced their work and lyrics.

Meet the Genderqueer Pop Star You Didn’t Realize You Need in Your Life

Charlie Baker in 2010 tapped an openly gay state senator from Wakefield as his running mate, and though they lost, Baker now says that it makes him "so happy" to know that it was his fault, and not prejudice against Richard Tisei.  Four years later and running again, Baker spoke publicly about his brother Alex coming out to him in the 1980s at the bar One Potato, Two Potato in Harvard Square, and how he told him, "That's okay." His campaign even featured the story prominently in a video as evidence of the Republican's inclusiveness.

But as the popular incumbent runs a third time seeking a second four-year term as governor, Baker's relationship with the LGBT community in Massachusetts is not unlike a lot of partnerships: It's complicated.

"I think there are people in the LGBT community who are absolutely supporters of his and there are many of us who want clear leadership, not reactive quiet support. It's hard to criticize him in this environment because national Republicans are far more hostile and he is not that, but it's hard to be grateful for just not being hostile," said Carl Sciortino, a former state lawmaker who works in government affairs for Fenway Health.

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name