The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet September - December 2018  (Read 1330 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
The Daily Sheet September - December 2018
« on: September 03, 2018, 08:31:46 PM »

Tuesday, September 4th, 2018

Passing the Plate

Hello UBF members!  As you all know, The Ultimate Brokeback Forum switched to a "donations" format, after Dave Cullen had been supporting the forum on his own for the past (almost) 14 years.

Over the past few weeks, donations have come in, and I'm waiting to release a total until they taper off.  I started making deposits to the UBF account as of September 1st, so all new funds would be recorded with the new month.

If anyone would like to make a donation, payments can be sent via PayPal to me directly at CellarDweller115@yahoo.com, or you can PM me and I'll give you my address, so you can mail funds directly to me.   A few non-US members have asked in the past if they can mail me a check, unfortunately, that answer is no.  For me to deposit a check that is not from a US bank will result in exchange rates and fees, and most likely be more than the amount of your donation.  Members who are not from the US will have to donate (if they chose to) through PayPal.

Expect an update soon, and thanks for your generosity!

Heath Ledger – A Life In Pictures

The exhibition Heath Ledger: A Life In Pictures was created by the Art Gallery of Western Australia – in Ledger’s home town of Perth – but was never intended to tour. Understandably, the National Film and Sound Archive of Australia (NFSA) felt it was a show that sent the perfect tone for them, and secured the show to relaunch its exhibition program – which has been in stasis for the past five years due to funding cuts.

As NFSA CEO Jan Müller said, ‘It was a no-brainer’ to bring it to the archive in Canberra, where it will enjoy a six month run.

Curated by Allison Holland, this exhibition is so much more than a kind of “fanish” walk through of yet another Hollywood life cut short. ‘It’s a very complex look at one person’s very intense and short life,’ she described.

When asked what surprised her going through Ledger’s personal archive, she told ArtsHub: ‘I was surprised that he was such a prolific photographer. I was surprised that he was working towards becoming a grand master in chess – chess was a great strategy in his life and a great passion for him.’  She added that she was overwhelmed by Ledger’s generosity of spirit, which for the viewer, comes through in this exhibition

Heath Ledger – A Life In Pictures

Restaurant Employee Fired For Ridiculing Gay Patrons

Management of Agave Jalisco Mexican Restaurant on Ayers Street fired an employee and ordered all others undergo sensitivity training after reports of anti-gay slurs directed at two patrons surfaced on social media.

Moody High School principal Sandra Clement shared her son's and his partner's experience at the restaurant in a Facebook post that was shared more than 900 times. The post states a restaurant employee ridiculed her son for hugging his partner by using a derogatory term for gay men.

"(Clement's son and his boyfriend) exchanged a hug as they entered the restaurant and a male employee pointed at them while talking to some female employees seated at a table and screamed 'jotos,' " the statement reads. "(The employee) proceeded to walk to the kitchen tossing his towel in the air loudly singing 'jotos' over and over again."

Restaurant Employee Fired For Ridiculing Gay Patrons

Lesbians Paint House Rainbow Colors to Annoy Homophobic Neighbors

A married lesbian couple has painted their Pennsylvania home like a Pride flag after allegedly enduring years of homophobic slurs from their neighbors, Pittsburgh’s WTAE reports.

Lisa Licata and Sherry Lau moved into the Penn Hills neighborhood five years ago. After hearing neighbor Ron Makay make a bigoted comment, they tried to avoid conflict by telling him they were mother and daughter. When the truth came out a year later, the couple says that Makay and his wife, Iolanda Wieczorkowki, began calling them anti-gay slurs like “homos” and “dykes.”

“It seemed to change when they found out I’m married to a woman and I’m gay,” says Lau.   Lau and Licata also claim Makay shot their dog with a BB gun. Penn Hills Police recently charged Makay with animal cruelty and discharging an air rifle.

Lesbians Paint House Rainbow Colors to Annoy Homophobic Neighbors

More People Than Ever Identify As Bisexual

Coming out as bisexual is a strange experience. You’re telling people something they already know: that you have a sexual interest in the opposite gender, and you’re mixing it with something they don’t know: that you also dig the same gender. It’s like mixing a super strong cocktail that some will slug back and others will spit out. Generally speaking, coming out as bisexual can communicate two very different and conflicting message to heterosexual and homosexual communities. As they say, the bisexual closet has two doors.

While most peers are (hopefully) supportive, straight people tend to think you’re experimenting, attesting your sexuality is temporary when it’s not. In the LGBT community, they tend to believe you’re only halfway out of the closet. You’re not entirely homosexual, so bisexuality is merely a pit-stop before admitting you’re gay (“bi now, gay later”). This double stigma can be incredibly frustrating and perhaps why the majority of bisexual individuals remain closeted, especially men.

More People Than Ever Identify As Bisexual

Woman Describes ‘Euphoria’ of Transitioning, aged 81

A transgender woman has told of her joy at becoming the oldest person in Britain to have gender reassignment surgery. Ruth Rose, now 85, underwent the surgery four years ago after her doctor said that the NHS would still consider a medical transition.

Speaking to the BBC, she described feeling “total euphoria” at waking up as a physical woman after more than eight decades in a man’s body.  She also praised a close-knit group of fellow pensioners who helped her through the process, and never questioned her identity as a woman.

Ruth first realized she was wanted to be female aged nine-years-old, in the middle of World War Two, but felt forced to keep the fact secret from everyone. “I was an evacuee at the time,” she told 5Live. “Of course at that age and at that time, these sorts of things were never spoken about so I was unaware of really what it was, except it was feeling that I wanted to be a girl, and dress in girl’s things and be very secretive about it."

Woman Describes ‘Euphoria’ of Transitioning, aged 81

Back to School Shopping With My Gender-Fluid Genderqueer Niece

During back to school shopping with my gender-fluid genderqueer niece (is that even appropriate to say that way?), I realized I didn’t know much about what she faces as a young person going into high school for the first time.  “People who are gender-fluid don’t identify with a fixed gender,” says Liz Powell, PsyD, an LGBTQ-friendly sex educator, coach, and psychologist.  Powell added, “They may move back and forth between gender presentations and identifications, or participate in queering of gender by mixing masculine and feminine presentations.”

One celebrity making headlines for being gender-fluid is new Batwoman star Ruby Rose.  “Gender fluidity is not really feeling like you’re at one end of the spectrum or the other,” Rose said. “For the most part, I definitely don’t identify as any gender.” She explained, “I’m not a guy; I don’t really feel like a woman, but obviously I was born one. So, I’m somewhere in the middle, which – in my perfect imagination – is like having the best of both sexes.”

Back to School Shopping With My Gender-Fluid Genderqueer Niece

GLAAD to honor Alyssa Milano With Inaugural Ariadne Getty Ally Award

GLAAD will honor Alyssa Milano with its inaugural Ariadne Getty Ally Award at the group's 2018 GLAAD Gala San Francisco on September 15.

According to GLAAD, its upcoming event "celebrates and features storytellers and tech innovators who accelerate LGBTQ acceptance and helps fund GLAAD's digital advocacy work to grow LGBTQ inclusion in digital and social media."

The 45-year-old Milano is best known for her roles on Who's the Boss?, Melrose Place and Charmed. She currently appears in Netflix's Insatiable.

Milano's LGBT activism includes a late 80s appearance on The Phil Donahue Show with Ryan White, a student ostracized by his classmates for having AIDS. During the show, Milano kissed White to show that the disease could not be contracted through casual contact.

GLAAD to honor Alyssa Milano With Inaugural Ariadne Getty Ally Award

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://www.ultimatebrokebackforum.com.

Today's edition by KillersMom, CellarDweller115

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to CellarDweller115.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet

Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: The Daily Sheet September - December 2018
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 08:53:16 PM »

Tuesday, September 11th, 2018

Passing the Plate

Hello UBF members!  As you all know, The Ultimate Brokeback Forum switched to a "donations" format, after Dave Cullen had been supporting the forum on his own for the past (almost) 14 years.

Over the past few weeks, donations have come in, and I'm waiting to release a total until they taper off.  I started making deposits to the UBF account as of September 1st, so all new funds would be recorded with the new month.

If anyone would like to make a donation, payments can be sent via PayPal to me directly at CellarDweller115@yahoo.com, or you can PM me and I'll give you my address, so you can mail funds directly to me.   A few non-US members have asked in the past if they can mail me a check, unfortunately, that answer is no.  For me to deposit a check that is not from a US bank will result in exchange rates and fees, and most likely be more than the amount of your donation.  Members who are not from the US will have to donate (if they chose to) through PayPal.

Expect an update soon, and thanks for your generosity!

Edward Berger to Direct Cumberbatch, Gyllenhaal in Thriller ‘Rio’

“Patrick Melrose” director Edward Berger is re-teaming with Benedict Cumberbatch for the thriller “Rio” with Cumberbatch and Jake Gyllenhaal producing and starring.

“Call Me by Your Name” helmer Luca Guadagnino had been attached last year to direct “Rio,” but fell out due to scheduling commitments. Production companies Studiocanal, Sunnymarch, and Nine Stories confirmed the attachments of Berger, Cumberbatch, and Gyllenhaal on Friday.   Producers on “Rio” are Cumberbatch and Adam Ackland through SunnyMarch, and Gyllenhaal and Riva Marker through Nine Stories. Ron Halpern and Shana Eddy are overseeing for Studiocanal.

The story, written by Steven Knight, centers on two old friends who meet again in Rio de Janeiro — one, a journalist played by Gyllenhaal, and the other, a hugely successful financier, portrayed by Cumberbatch.

Edward Berger to Direct Cumberbatch, Gyllenhaal in Thriller ‘Rio’

For Gay Indians, Landmark Ruling Is Just the Beginning

Even as gay activists in India celebrated on Friday, a day after a landmark Supreme Court ruling ended the country’s ban on gay sex, they were preparing for resistance to the decision.

Among the pressing questions left unresolved by the ruling: Will the authorities drop the countless criminal cases that had been filed under the Victorian-era law that had made consensual gay sex a crime? What will happen if a gay couple shows up at a registrar’s office and asks to be married? Will gay people be able to pursue cases of harassment based on sexual orientation?

At the forefront of many people’s minds was how to translate the court’s lofty language — “History owes an apology” to gay people, one justice said — into practical gains. India is still a deeply conservative, incredibly diverse nation of 1.3 billion that often feels more like a continent than a country.

For Gay Indians, Landmark Ruling Is Just the Beginning

Chechnya Gay Purge’s Forgotten Lesbian and Transgender Victims

It has been more than a year since news emerged of a crisis unfolding in Chechnya. Hundreds of gay men were being abducted and held in makeshift prison camps, where they were being tortured and killed.  A report published in the independent Russian newspaper Novaya Gazeta in April 2017 described how at least 100 men had been detained, with many more missing.

The crisis is still ongoing and human rights groups are working to evacuate those under threat from the region. But the gay purge, as it has been dubbed, is not just affecting men—lesbian and transgender women are being targeted, too.

Zamira (not her real name), a transgender woman from Chechnya, tells PinkNews she found out about the anti-LGBT purge last year. Although she didn’t believe it for a long time, she lived her life in hiding.

“I did not go out, I communicated with very few people. So I saw this information online only and like many others I believed that it was not true,”  she says, speaking on condition of anonymity. “Until the moment they started to hunt me.”

Chechnya Gay Purge’s Forgotten Lesbian and Transgender Victims

Keira Knightley on Bisexual Writer Colette's Modern Importance

Rule-busting bisexual writer Colette gets the attention she deserves in the new film from out director Wash Westmoreland (Still Alice), set to be released September 21. Keira Knightley steps into the titular role in Colette, as the woman behind the Claudine novels who enthralled Belle Epoque-era Paris — even if her husband, Willy (played by Dominic West), took all of the credit. Colette was brash, sexy, and way ahead of her time, and her early novels, written under Willy’s name, depicted a young woman’s sexual awakening with kink and verve.

The biopic begins with Colette’s marriage to Willy, her move to Paris from the country, and her rise as a star of any salon she attended. Westmoreland’s film also follows Colette's sexual awakening as she proclaims and acts on her attraction to other women. Eventually, she and her husband embark on a polyamorous relationship, during which she takes female lovers.  Colette finally settles on one lover in particular, the wealthy Missy (Denise Gough), who dresses in men’s clothes and uses male pronouns.

Keira Knightley on Bisexual Writer Colette's Modern Importance

Transgender In Hollywood Roundtable

Variety has recently held a roundtable discussion that was filmed for YouTube, and was on the topic of "Transgender in Hollywood" and the discrimination that transgender people who work in Hollywood face.

Participants in the discussion are:   Laverne Cox ("Orange is The New Black"), Trace Lysette ("Transparent"), Chaz Bono ("American Horror Story: Cult"), Jen Richards ("Her Story"), Alexandra Billings ("Transparent"), and Brian Michael ("Queen Sugar").

To view the roundtable, click the link below to go to the video on YouTube.

Transgender In Hollywood Roundtable

‘I’m A Sapiosexual — Here’s What That Means’

I Recently discovered I’m a Sapiosexual.

I was pretty shocked to make this curious discovery at the age of 48. I thought I had come to know myself quite intimately over the last five decades. But I’d just embarked on my virgin voyage to planet ‘Bumble’, the dating app that promised to deliver a string of eligible, professional bachelors directly to my iPhone, when a kind nerdy-looking guy — Steve (49) — appeared on my screen with the words ‘Sapiosexual’ beside his name.  “Ewwwwww”, I screamed as I swiftly swiped left on Sapiosexual Steve. It all sounded like far too many shades of kink for me.

I’d done my due diligence before venturing into the world of modern dating apps. I’d familiarized myself with all the lingo. I knew all about Ghosting and Catfishing and Benching and Breadcrumbing and Half-night standing. Yep. That’s actually a thing now (Done it. Didn’t even realize). But nowhere had I seen or been warned about these so-called ‘Sapiosexuals’.

‘I’m A Sapiosexual — Here’s What That Means’

How to Be An Ally in India

So you want to be an ally to the LGBTQI community? Here’s a starter kit.

With this, India will no longer consider people who have consensual relationships with other adults in private, criminals on par with rapists and murderers.

The Supreme Court’s verdict on Section 377 on Thursday is an important moment for the LGBTQI+ community in India. After 157 years, a draconian law that has considered queer people criminals on par with rapists and murderers, for just choosing to live their truth, has been read down. It’s a bittersweet moment for the community, because this is only one step towards social justice for large parts of the community who are vulnerable on many counts. As others have pointed out much more coherently, this does not automatically remove hurdles to employment, housing, healthcare, and a life of dignity for a large number of people.

But that said, this is an important judgment – for all of India and not just the queer community – for the opportunities it presents. The verdict is, for many people, a chance to engage with the issue and learn about the community, and to find ways to counter the discrimination queer people face in the country.

How to Be An Ally in India

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://www.ultimatebrokebackforum.com.

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 11:31:16 PM »

Tuesday, September 18th, 2018

Passing the Plate - A Huge Success

Hello UBF members!  As you all know, a few weeks ago, we started a new round of fundraising to help keep the Ultimate Brokeback Forum online.

When the September statement for the forum account is released, the activity will be posted in the BBM Forum Financials-Update and New Hoster thread.  However, that will not be until one point in October.  Since we seem to have received all the donations that we will get (for now) I see no reason to not post this information here, and let you all have the status.

When we started this round of fundraising the forum account had a balance of $39.33.  As of Tuesday (September 18th) the forum account has a balance of $951.00.  This is enough to keep UBF online for another 4 years - paying the monthly fee, as well as the annual renewal fees.  We don't anticipate having to ask for more donations until late 2022.

Thank you so much for your generosity!

Walker, Ricci and Maxwell Will Be in "Percy"

The great Christopher Walken and Christina Ricci, will be starring in a new independent film called Percy which is currently in production in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Everybody loves Christopher Walken so it's great to see him land another movie role!  The cast also includes Roberta Maxwell (Ma Twist in Brokeback Mountain) as Percy’s wife.

The film, based on events from a 1998 lawsuit, follows small-town Saskatchewan farmer (Walken) who challenges major conglomerate when the company’s genetically modified (GMO) canola is discovered in the 70-year-old farmer’s crop. As he speaks out against the company’s business practices, he realizes he is representing thousands of other disenfranchised farmers around the world fighting the same battle.

Walker, Ricci and Maxwell Will Be in "Percy"

Serbian PM, Belgrade Mayor Join Gay-Pride Parade

Serbia's prime minister and the mayor of Belgrade have joined several hundred lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) activists and their supporters in the center of Belgrade for a gay-pride parade.  Several hundred revelers marched from Slavija Square to Students Square on September 16, with the city center sealed off by police, for the final event of Belgrade Pride Week 2018.

Prime Minister Ana Brnabic and the capital's new mayor, Zoran Radojcic, were among the participants.  Brnabic, the first openly gay prime minister in the Balkan region and the first Serbian woman in the top job, attended the event last year, along with the ministers of labor and state administration, as well as the city's mayor at the time.

The rally ended without a major security incident at around 4 p.m. local time, RFE/RL correspondents at the scene said.

Serbian PM, Belgrade Mayor Join Gay-Pride Parade

A Discovery of Witches

It’s been 16 years, 4 months and 7 days since Buffy the Vampire Slayer dramatically parted iconic lesbian witch duo Willow and Tara, and there’s finally a new game in town.  People are getting hyped for a new TV show that features Doctor Who star Alex Kingston as a lesbian witch.

TV drama A Discovery of Witches, which debuts in the UK this evening, introduces a new lesbian witch couple we just can’t wait to meet.

Based on the All Souls trilogy by Deborah Harkness, A Discovery of Witches follows witch and historian Diana Bishop as she seeks to unravel the secrets of the magical world, crossing paths by mysterious vampire Matthew Clairmont.  The “reluctant witch” was raised by her aunt Sarah Bishop, a witch who lives with her long-time partner and fellow witch Emily Mather. The pair taught Diana how to use her powers to fight in a centuries-old struggle between supernatural beings.

A Discovery of Witches

Rami Malek Hits Back at Claims That Biopic Erases Mercury's Bisexuality

He is set to transform into music icon Freddie Mercury in the forthcoming Queen biopic Bohemian Rhapsody.   And Rami Malek has hit back at those that criticised the film for not portraying the singer's identity as a bisexual man, as well as claims it avoided portraying his battle with AIDS.  The actor, 37, spoke in an interview with Attitude magazine, released on Thursday, about the response, saying: 'It's a shame that people are making remarks after a minute teaser where you just wanna see the music. It's difficult.'

"First, let me say that I don't think the film shies away from his sexuality or his all-consuming disease, which is obviously AIDS.  I don't know how you could avoid any of that, or if anyone would ever want to. It's a bit absurd that anyone's judging this from a minute trailer."

The first trailer for the film received a lot of criticism for its seemingly overt erasure of Mercury’s identity, as it contained scenes where he flirted with a woman, while making no reference to his same-sex relationships.  Writer Bryan Fuller was one of many who vocalised his frustrations on Twitter, and said: 'ANYONE ELSE MILDLY ANNOYED (enough to tweet about it) THAT THE #BohemianRapsody TRAILER FEATURES GAY/BI SUPERSTAR FREDDIE MERCURY FLIRTING WITH A WOMAN BUT NO INDICATION OF HIS LOVE OF MEN? (sic)'

Rami Malek Hits Back at Claims That Biopic Erases Mercury's Bisexuality

What High School Is Like for Transgender Students

Emme, a transgender high school student, first started struggling with her gender identity when she was around 11 or 12 years old, she says. When she started going through puberty and her body began changing physically, she realized quickly she was unhappy, and took time to figure out what she needed and wanted to feel better. After coming out to her mother and father, she says they had a lot of questions and had to do their own emotional work about her decisions, but that they were also consistently supportive of her. While she’s grateful for the love and “fierce advocacy” she says her family has provided her, she also says that being young and transgender can be “painfully lonely.”

“In my first years of transition, when people around me knew I was trans because I was visibly trans, I experienced deep discomfort in nearly every situation,” she told Teen Vogue, adding that, “There is an ever-present discordance between the internal conception and external perception, feeling of insufficiency when you try and eventually fail to make the two match. I stopped using the bathroom at school or any other public place, stopped going to gym class, and eventually to the rest of my classes too.”

And research and stories surrounding transgender people’s ability to exist safely in public spaces like schools and specifically bathrooms, is not solely a problem for Emme — in fact, it’s a nationwide issue. That’s why a new back to school season campaign from GLSEN and MAP (Movement Advancement Project) is focusing on telling the stories of young transgender people and highlighting the need for trans youth to have the same access to school facilities as their cisgender peers.

What High School Is Like for Transgender Students

Intersex Care Is Now Available in a Guide For Providers. Finally.

A new guide for Intersex care has been released in the wake of the passage of SCR-110 in California. SCR-110 formally condemned unnecessary genital surgery on Intersex infants.  The guide was jointly released by Lambda Legal,  InterACT and Proskauer Rose LLP.  The publication is the first Intersex-affirming hospital policy report of its kind. It was specifically designed to provide guidance for ethical and compassionate health care to Intersex patients.

“Intersex is an umbrella term used to describe a wide range of natural variations in sex characteristics that do not seem to fit typical binary notions of male or female bodies,” the guide starts.  “Between 0.05% and 1.7% of the population is born with Intersex traits,” it goes on. “These traits may be visible at birth, at puberty, or, in the case of some variations, not at all.”

Intersex people are often conflated with transgender and gender non-conforming people, but are a distinct category, and often require different care from medical professionals.  The term “Intersex” refers to those with inborn variations to their physical bodies that do not first common binary expectations, while “Transgender” typically refers to those whose gender differs from their assigned or presumed sex when born.

Intersex Care Is Now Available in a Guide For Providers. Finally.

Finding a Doctor Who Is an LGBTQ+ Ally

Once, at a medical appointment, I saw a nurse who seemed unable to wrap his head around the fact that I was sexually active but not on birth control. I wasn’t sleeping with cisgender men at the time; I didn’t need pregnancy protection. Even though I explained this, he prodded me with more questions about my sexual orientation than needles to draw my blood.

I’m a queer, white, cis woman with access to money, transportation, insurance, and other resources that allow me immense privilege. I’ve still had trouble finding doctors and other medical professionals who act as LGBTQ+ allies. To me, a medical LGBTQ+ ally is well-versed in the correct language to describe my sexuality, doesn’t automatically assume I’m straight just because I’m femme, doesn’t say or do offensive things when I correct them, is committed to understanding how my sexuality might influence my health, and generally treats me with respect.

The National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities has identified the LGBTQ+ community as a “health disparity population” due, in part, to our lowered health care access. Unfortunately, some of this comes down to LGBTQ+ patients avoiding medical treatment due to past discrimination and fear of stigma. When LGBTQ+ people belong to other marginalized groups, such as being a person of color or having a disability, it only becomes more difficult to find accessible, non-biased care.

Finding a Doctor Who Is an LGBTQ+ Ally

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 05:04:45 PM »

Tuesday, September 25th, 2018

Passing the Plate - A Huge Success

Hello UBF members!  As you all know, a few weeks ago, we started a new round of fundraising to help keep the Ultimate Brokeback Forum online.

When the September statement for the forum account is released, the activity will be posted in the BBM Forum Financials-Update and New Hoster thread.  However, that will not be until one point in October.  Since we seem to have received all the donations that we will get (for now) I see no reason to not post this information here, and let you all have the status.

When we started this round of fundraising the forum account had a balance of $39.33.  As of Tuesday (September 18th) the forum account has a balance of $951.00.  This is enough to keep UBF online for another 4 years - paying the monthly fee, as well as the annual renewal fees.  We don't anticipate having to ask for more donations until late 2022.

Thank you so much for your generosity!

Food is Woven Into the Plot in This Ang Lee Masterpiece

In the years following his graduation from film school in the United States, Ang Lee spent a lot of time at home cooking and looking after his children while his wife went out to work. Food, Lee has recalled in interviews, became in those days a way of expressing his love for his family and he hoped he would be able to bring those sentiments to screen one day.

Eat Drink Man Woman (1994), the third and finest in Lee’s ‘Father Knows Best’ trilogy (Pushing Hands and The Wedding Banquet being the other two), is a culmination of some of those early experiences.

The film revolves around taciturn ex-chef Chu (Sihung Lung) who regularly cooks elaborate meals at home for his three daughters. There are long sequences with little-to-no dialogue where we see him arduously preparing a variety of tempting dishes as if for a banquet, treating the food with his hands — chopping, flaying and stirring — and finally laying them out on the dinner table as if also for the viewers to feast their eyes on.

The film’s secondary plotlines too have food woven into them in one way or another. Lee has described the difficulties — hours of preparation, exactness of timing and enlisting of real chefs — of shooting food in the film. And this was all to make the food appear exciting to the point of seeming seductive.

Food is Woven Into the Plot in This Ang Lee Masterpiece

Cardinal Removes Priest Who Burned LGBT Flag at Avondale Church

A Northwest Side priest has been removed about a week after he burned a rainbow flag outside his church.

Protesters had been demanding Cardnial Blase Cupich take action against the Rev. Paul Kalchik after he ignored the cardinal's warning and burned a rainbow flag with a cross on it on Sept. 14. Kalchik had been at Resurrection Church since 2007. Before he took over at Resurrection, the flag hung inside the church.

The priest told the Chicago Sun-Times he burned the flag because he did not "sit well" with Cupich who he said is trying to minimize the Catholic Church's sex abuse scandal. Kalchick said he was sexually abused as a child and again at 19 by a priest, the Sun-Times said.

Cardinal Removes Priest Who Burned LGBT Flag at Avondale Church

Kenya Lifts Ban on Lesbian Film 'Rafiki' Making it Eligible For Oscars

A Kenyan high court has temporarily lifted the ban on 'Rafiki' a movie about love between two women.  The ruling will allow Kenyan adults to view the movie for the first time in the country for just one week.

The film was banned by Kenya's Film and Classification Board (KFCB) in April because of its lesbian theme.  Kenya's Film and Classification Board (KFCB) said 'Rafiki' was banned because of intent to "promote lesbianism," in the country.  "The film has been restricted due to its homosexual theme and clear intent to promote lesbianism in Kenya contrary to the law," a statement from the board said.

Its director Wanuri Kahiu filed a lawsuit earlier this month challenging the censorship board's ruling.  Kahiu's lawyers argued that banning the film violated her constitutional right to free speech and free expression as an artist.  Reacting to the high court judgment, Kahiu posted an emotional statement on Twitter.  "I am crying. In a french airport. In SUCH Joy! Our constitution is STRONG! Give thanks to freedom of expression!!!! WE DID IT! We will be posting about Nairobi screening soon," she said.

Kenya Lifts Ban on Lesbian Film 'Rafiki' Making it Eligible For Oscars

Bi Visibility Day

Director Desiree Akhavan is tired of hearing tropes about bisexuality.  The Iranian-American filmmaker, who recently tackled the issue of gay conversion therapy in the film The Miseducation of Cameron Post, has been outspoken about her experience as a bisexual woman.  She recently addressed the issue of bi-erasure ahead of the release of Channel 4’s TV comedy series The Bisexual, which she wrote and directed as well as playing the lead role.

“It’s complicated—there isn’t a face of bisexuality and it feels disingenuous,” she said at an event at London’s BFI Southbank earlier this month.

She continued: “If I’m walking down the street with a woman, I’m a lesbian.  “I realized recently every time I did anything people said ‘bisexual Desiree’ and I felt like it was a deeply embarrassing thing. They always said: ‘she f***s men and women.’ If they’d said lesbian I’d have been like f*** yeah but it was embarrassing."

Bi Visibility Day

NHS Sued for Failure to Help Transgender Patients With Fertility

NHS England is to be taken to court by the UK’s equality watchdog for failing to offer fertility services to transgender patients.  The Equality and Human Rights Commission will launch a high-profile judicial review action, a legal manoeuvre that is likely to prove controversial at a time when the NHS is struggling to balance budgets and provide core services.

Last month the Observer reported that the commission had written to NHS England putting it on notice that it needed to offer fertility services to transgender patients before they underwent treatment for gender dysphoria, a process that normally results in a loss of fertility.

By extracting and storing eggs and sperm before they undergo gender reassignment, transgender people can choose to have their biological children delivered via surrogates later in life. However, many are keen to proceed with treatment when they are teenagers, and may not have the resources to pay for such fertility services. This, the commission argues, discriminates against transgender people, whom it says should be offered the services as a standard procedure.

NHS Sued for Failure to Help Transgender Patients With Fertility

9 Things I Wish People Knew About Asexuality

The word “asexuality” might conjure up memories from ninth grade biology, where you learned about animals that can reproduce without having sex. But when I say the word “asexuality,” I’m talking about the human sexual orientation—one that’s existed for a long time, but that’s only really entered the cultural conversation over the past two decades.

Since asexuality is fairly “new” as far as sexualities go, it’s pretty easily misunderstood. Sometimes, it’s conflated with celibacy. Other times, it’s conflated with abstaining from relationships altogether. Neither of these things are necessarily the case—at least, not for everyone who identifies as asexual.

At the link below, the author addresses those misconceptions, as well as seven other things I wish people understood about asexuality.

9 Things I Wish People Knew About Asexuality

Becoming an Ally

The Center for Student Involvement will be providing an opportunity for UWG students to receive Safe Zone training on Sept. 25.

UWG provides a variety of opportunities to develop and become informed about the abundance of diversity that is present on campus. Safe Zone training has been one of the primary tools that the university has used for this purpose since 2004.  This training will be presented at an event called, “Safe Zone Leadership Track: Safe Zone To Go,”on Sept. 25. The event will include a series of workshops and trainings about Safe Zone, and will help students to further understand sexual identity and also explore ways that they can help students by being an ally to the LGBTQ community.

“Safe Zone is a space where you can feel supported and celebrated with who you are, and as an ally it is important to create those spaces for students to be genuinely who they are” said Lo Denmon, Inclusion Resource Specialist for the Center for Diversity and Inclusion.

Denmon also explained how it is important for UWG to incorporate and have Safe Zone available on campus.

Becoming an Ally

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 05:54:40 PM »

Tuesday, October 2nd, 2018

New Thread - Diamonds in YouTube's Rough

Hello UBF members!  Today's lead story is to let you know about a new thread that has been started here.

foreverinawe has created a new thread called "Diamonds in YouTube's Rough".  The purpose of the thread is to discuss and share YouTube videos that you are moved by, in some way.

So far, we have had videos posted regarding the short film "Brotherly", "From Beginning To End", fan made Brokeback Mountain videos, and some figure skating videos.

Have you seen a video on YouTube that you want to talk about?  Join us in the thread, and put a link to your video, and let us see the diamonds that you've found as well!

Diamonds in YouTube's Rough

Mulligan and Gyllenhaal Are 'Perfection' in "Wildlife"

Wildlife is a period drama set in the 1960s and is mostly shown from the point of view of quiet teenager Joe (Ed Oxenbould), who finds his typical family life upended when his father Jerry (Jake Gyllenhaal) loses his job and decides to leave for a role fighting forest fires for an indefinite period. This in turn prompts Joe’s mother Jeanette (Carey Mulligan) to have an identity crisis of her own and Joe navigating what is left of his broken family.

Carey Mulligan has always chosen complicated women to portray throughout her career (especially opposite Michael Fassbender in Shame) and Jeanette is no different. An educated and capable housewife who chose to take care of her husband and son full-time is thrust into circumstances that require her intelligence and practical side once more, but this resultantly causes a downward spiral that transforms her into a selfish woman lost in nostalgia and regret. If there’s any justice in the world then this brittle performance will bag the Brit another Oscar nomination.

Gyllenhaal is equally effective as the proud, confused and selfish father Jerry, whose own deluded search for happiness could push his family over the edge. His decision to put out the huge forest fires means he creates an equally destructive time at home, in a metaphor that won't be lost on most viewers.

Mulligan and Gyllenhaal Are "Perfection" in Wildlife

Gay Teacher in Zimbabwe Resigns After Death Threats

A gay deputy headmaster of a boys' school in Zimbabwe has resigned after death threats and pressure from parents.  Neal Hovelmeier, who worked at St John's College in the capital, Harare, faced huge criticism and threats from parents after he revealed his sexual orientation to his students at an assembly September 21.

Hovelmeier came out after a local newspaper threatened to write an article exposing his sexuality. He told CNN the paper "felt that did not sit well with my position in a boys' school in a conservative country."   After consulting with school authorities and his lawyer, Hovelmeier decided to address the issue of homophobia by using himself as an example. A communique was also sent home informing parents that the teacher had come out.

A parents' meeting was held Monday to discuss the issue, but videos circulating on social media show the meeting ended in chaos. "When the report was released to parents, some parents felt strongly about this and did not approve," Hovelmeier said.

Gay Teacher in Zimbabwe Resigns After Death Threats

Indian Court Finds in Favor of Lesbian Couple

A court in the southern Indian state of Kerala recently ruled that a lesbian couple have the right to cohabitate, relying on a landmark Sept. 6 decision by India's highest court that struck down the country's colonial-era law against homosexual acts. The overturned law, known as Section 377, had made gay sex acts punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

On Sept. 12, attorney Preetha K. K. submitted court papers challenging the “Commissioner of Police & Others” of infringing on her client's rights by committing the woman to a mental institution against her will after she left her parents' home to live with her female partner. The woman's parents are among the "others" mentioned in the court papers.

The court documents describe the 24-year-old woman, Aruna, and her partner, 40-year-old Sreeja S., as being in a relationship and states "they are unable to separate and they intend to live together as life partners."  Indian court documents often only list the first names of the parties involved.

The trouble began in August when Aruna’s parents filed a missing person report with authorities. According to an affidavit provided to NBC News by the couple’s attorney, Aruna had left her parents after telling them she intended to live with her life partner, Sreeja. But, acting upon the missing person claim from Aruna’s parents, local police found and produced Aruna in court.

Indian Court Finds in Favor of Lesbian Couple

‘The Bisexual’: First Trailer For Desiree Akhavan’s Comedy

“Bisexuality is a myth, it was created by ad executives to sell flavoured vodka”. That’s one take in Desiree Akhavan’s forthcoming comedy The Bisexual for UK’s Channel 4 and Hulu.  The broadcasters have unveiled the first trailer for the comedy, which is produced by Sister Pictures label Hootenanny.

The show, which launches in the UK on October 10 at 10pm, look at the difference of dating men and women from the perspective of a person who finds herself doing both.

It was created by and stars Girls alum and The Miseducation of Cameron Post director. She plays New Yorker Leila who is feeling lost in London. Split from her girlfriend she moves in with a ‘stranger off the internet’ and discovers she’s swapped her luxe old life for a house-share with a British guy who’s only other female ‘flat-mate’ was his mother. Their worlds collide in awkward and revealing ways as he becomes her unlikely wingman and helps her to navigate a new life dating men.

‘The Bisexual’: First Trailer For Desiree Akhavan’s Comedy

Pentagon Caught 'Flat-Footed' by Trump Tweets on Transgender Ban

President Donald Trump said that he consulted "my generals" before announcing via tweet last July a ban on transgender individuals serving in the military, but a new batch of internal emails reinforced the view that the Pentagon was blindsided.

"Everyone was caught flat-footed," Air Force Brig. Gen. Kyle Kremer, director of manpower and personnel for the Joint Chiefs, wrote to Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Joseph Dunford and Air Force Gen. Paul Selva, the vice chairman, following Trump's July 26, 2017, series of tweets.

The emails, many of them heavily redacted, were obtained under a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit by the liberal watchdog group American Oversight and were the subject of a report Friday by BuzzFeed News.  "Wow -- that was a surprise," Anthony Kurta, who was then performing the duties of undersecretary of defense for personnel and readiness, wrote to another Pentagon official whose name was redacted, BuzzFeed reported.

In a series of July 2017 tweets, Trump wrote, "After consultation with my Generals and military experts, please be advised that the United States Government will not accept or allow transgender individuals to serve in any capacity in the U.S. Military."

Pentagon Caught 'Flat-Footed' by Trump Tweets on Transgender Ban

Intersex Model Gaby Odiele

"There is no such thing as normal...defiance has no uniform."

In the past, when designers and brands have tried their hand at genderless collections, the result has often looked like boys with long hair in hyper-feminine dresses and nail polish, or women with shaved heads and severe features. Of course, gender nonconforming people are people with a multitude of personal styles, but dressing one gender up in the signifiers of the other falls flat, and feels like an opportunity missed.

Rebellion, insurrection, and subversion was the theme of John Galliano’s spring 2019 Maison Margiela show in Paris. The voices of models Hanne Gaby Odiele, Teddy Quinlivan, and Molly Bair, and singers Willow Smith and Princess Nokia, among others, echoed around the room, their definitions of mutiny soundtracking the models as they took the runway.

And what were these mutineers sending up, exactly? The gender binary, for one. Unquestioned conformity, too. Galliano’s band of outsiders were rallying against anything that has ever restricted a person from being their true self. At a time when it seems trite or disingenuous to put a cause at the center of your brand, Maison Margiela’s feels like a legitimate call to action.  One of the six mutineers, Belgian model Hanne Gaby Odiele, also walked in the show, so who better to talk to about the collection, the fragrance, and the incoming revolution?

Intersex Model Gaby Odiele

Vanguard Awards Celebrates a Growing LGBT Center and New Allies

Vanguard was the fitting name for an Awards celebration that happened on Saturday night, September 22 for the Los Angeles LGBT Center’s annual awards ceremony at the Beverly Hilton Hotel.

Many of Los Angeles’ most notable and generous LGBTQIA people from around the world came out to make a major philanthropy push for the beginning of the 50th anniversary of the nation’s oldest LGBT non-profit organization.  The gathering, attended by more than 1500 people, may even have retired the underlying mortgage on the now under-construction Anita May Rosenstein campus building, as a result. And that was in no small part made possible by some of the notables the Center honored.

The night began with a simple and loving tribute to a mom, but not just any mom. Ariadne Getty, 56, an actress and granddaughter of John Paul Getty, was introduced by her children.

Nats, a 25 year old fashion designer who is set to marry transgender model and pop-star Gigi Gorgeous, portrayed her mother as a vibrant, accepting and engaged woman who she once found holding court after a late night party at their home. “I went downstairs and found mom cooking food and serving drinks for a kitchen full of drag queens.” Her brother August, 24, an internationally known fashion designer who recently opened a boutique in Beverly Hills, August Getty Atelier, said he didn’t have to come out, “I just told her I was going on a date with the room service guy and that was that.”

Vanguard Awards Celebrates a Growing LGBT Center and New Allies

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 08:53:23 PM »

Tuesday, October 9th, 2018

James Schamus On Streaming Algorithms

James Schamus has been through many career stages. For 12 years, he ran Focus Features, bringing the sensibilities of a veteran independent producer and cinephile into the studio arena, where he shepherded along revered arthouse hits ranging from “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” to “Brokeback Mountain.” Focus owner Universal fired Schamus during a period of restructuring for the company in 2012, and he chose to avoid the same path for his next move.

“After I got fired, I made a very conscious decision not to keep my status, figure out how to get my ticket to the Academy Awards, or attach myself to all these projects as an executive producer so I could be on the red carpet,” he said, during a public conversation at the 10th annual GlobeScreen Conference in Manhattan on Wednesday night. “I decided to take the smallest financing deal that I could. It was hard.” He turned a lot of offers. “Most investors said, ‘Let’s start a new studio.’ A lot of this was coming out of Asia. I ended up convincing people to do a deal that was a tenth percent of the deal I wanted to do.”

With his production company Symbolic Exchange, Schamus refocused his attention on smaller productions. “I wanted to go back and make super low-budget films,” he said. “I had no interest in going back to the Oscars for a while. I’d been there 25 years. I just wanted to work with first and second-time directors on extremely low budgets, below union rates.” One of these was his own directorial debut, an adaptation of Phillip Roth’s “Indignation,” which Summit released after its 2016 Sundance premiere. Another was Kitty Green’s innovative true-crime documentary “Casting JonBenet,” which was picked up by Netflix at Sundance, providing the veteran distribution executive with a new perspective on the intricacies of the streaming platform.

James Schamus On Streaming Algorithms

CNN Reporter Kaitlan Collins Apologizes After Gay Slur Tweets Resurface

Past tweets with gay slurs by CNN White House reporter Kaitlan Collins resurfaced Sunday, prompting an apology.  After the publication of this article, Collins apologized for her "immature" behavior in college.

The old tweets dating back to at least 2011 were reemphasized by observers on social media, including the gay Republican group Log Cabin Republicans.  In one tweet dated July 20, 2011, Collins replies to someone using the word "fag." In a June 8 tweet from the same year, Collins replies to someone saying, "idk if I want to room with a lesbian."  The acronym "IDK" is commonly understood online to mean "I don't know."

The tweets pre-date Collins' time at CNN. She worked at the conservative Daily Caller before CNN, but these tweets were from when she was in college at the University of Alabama.

CNN Reporter Kaitlan Collins Apologizes After Gay Slur Tweets Resurface

The Lesbian Who Outed Scientology’s Homophobia

One of Michelle LeClair’s twin children, aged almost 10, wrote in a recent class project, “I want to be a lawyer so I can fight for my family.”  LeClair, 45, teared up recalling this to The Daily Beast, and it wasn’t the only time she would do so in an interview in which she told her long and complicated story about being gay and feeling persecuted by the Church of Scientology, where she was a member for over 20 years, from age 18 to 40.

The Church denies any notion that it is homophobic, and claims LeClair is “manufacturing controversies to divert attention from the fact that she bilked millions of dollars” from investors in a Ponzi scheme.

In her revealing book Perfectly Clear: Escaping Scientology and Fighting for the Woman I Love (Berkley, $27, written with Robin Gaby Fisher), LeClair tells the story of a church that, she claimed, did not seek to help her escape from what she alleges was an abusive heterosexual marriage; and one which allegedly turned against her when she made it clear she was in love with Tena, the woman she fell for.

The Lesbian Who Outed Scientology’s Homophobia

Is TV Finally Getting Bisexuality Right?

When Desiree Akhavan’s debut film Appropriate Behaviour was released in 2014, she found herself having to do interviews for the first time. As an actor, writer and director, there were plenty of prefixes available, but she started to notice that when she was introduced, it was as something else. “Always as ‘the bisexual film-maker’, ‘the bisexual writer’,” she recalls. It wasn’t that it was untrue; the film was about a bisexual character and Akhavan wasn’t hiding her own bisexuality. “But for some reason, when I heard it, it just felt deeply humiliating and personal, like, ‘the bedwetter Desiree Akhavan’. I guess I wanted to make something that chased why.”

To examine those feelings, Akhavan came up with The Bisexual, an excruciatingly funny and frank new six-part Channel 4 comedy drama, through which discomfort runs like a river. It follows a woman in her early 30s, Leila (played by Akhavan), as she leaves her girlfriend (Maxine Peake) and begins to date men. Akhavan says that, towards the end of her own long-term relationship with a woman, she realised she had the makings of “a really great reverse coming-out story ... And my dad, who was so hard to come out to, was suddenly like, what about your audience?” She laughs. “You built a niche for yourself as a lesbian, what a betrayal. And that came into it a lot. It’s funny, because afterwards I fell in love with a woman immediately, but at the time it was like, oh, you’re definitely going to betray her for men. That was the understanding that everyone had.”

Is TV Finally Getting Bisexuality Right?

Scientists Discover Link Between Genes and Being Transgender

Researchers at the Hudson Institute of Medical Research in Melbourne, Australia, have discovered that gender dysphoria may have a biological basis.  The study examined the genetic variations of 380 transgender women and compared them to those of non-transgender men.

Within the transgender women, they found a significant over-representation of four genes that are involved in processing sex hormones. This variation suggests a potential biological reason why certain people experience gender dysphoria.  Those behind the study propose that these genetic variations can affect the male brain’s ability to process androgen, meaning that the brain develops differently in a way that is less “masculine” and more “feminine,” contributing to gender dysphoria in transgender women.

The study has been deemed the largest and most comprehensive of its kind by lead author Professor Vincent Harley.  Speaking to the Australian Broadcasting Company, Harley said: “While it should not hinge on science to validate people’s individuality and lived experience, these findings may help to reduce discrimination.”

Scientists Discover Link Between Genes and Being Transgender

What It's Really Like To Be Aromantic

If you clicked on this article thinking, I have no idea what aromantic means, then you're not alone. Despite many people identifying this way, aromanticism is rarely talked about in the same way other LGBTQ+ identities are. This leads to A LOT of misunderstanding about what it really means to be aromantic - or 'aro'. Here, three people who identify as aromantic explain what it's really like.

What does aromantic mean to you?

Jenny, 28, she/her: Well, the "official" definition is not feeling romantically attracted to others (or only rarely/under specific circumstances), but I define it for myself as not being able to fall in love.

Scarlett, 18, she/her, a barista: It’s a word that finally made my feelings make sense. A couple of years ago I was feeling like I was odd because I didn’t fall head over heels for people like I saw my friends doing. Aromantic just fit.

Steph, 27, she/her or they/them, editor at Stand Up magazine: Aromanticism is a broad spectrum, but it means people who do not, or rarely, experience romantic attraction. Romantic attraction is a specific form of attraction and does not always align with sexual attraction (or other forms of attraction such as aesthetic).

What It's Really Like To Be Aromantic

LGBT Leaders View Baker As An Ally, But A Quiet One

Charlie Baker in 2010 tapped an openly gay state senator from Wakefield as his running mate, and though they lost, Baker now says that it makes him "so happy" to know that it was his fault, and not prejudice against Richard Tisei.  Four years later and running again, Baker spoke publicly about his brother Alex coming out to him in the 1980s at the bar One Potato, Two Potato in Harvard Square, and how he told him, "That's okay." His campaign even featured the story prominently in a video as evidence of the Republican's inclusiveness.

But as the popular incumbent runs a third time seeking a second four-year term as governor, Baker's relationship with the LGBT community in Massachusetts is not unlike a lot of partnerships: It's complicated.

"I think there are people in the LGBT community who are absolutely supporters of his and there are many of us who want clear leadership, not reactive quiet support. It's hard to criticize him in this environment because national Republicans are far more hostile and he is not that, but it's hard to be grateful for just not being hostile," said Carl Sciortino, a former state lawmaker who works in government affairs for Fenway Health.

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 07:17:03 PM »

Tuesday, October 16th, 2018

Maggie Gyllenhaal on Heath Ledger

Maggie Gyllenhaal says Heath Ledger was "on a whole other level" as an actor.  The 40-year-old actress, who starred with Ledger in The Dark Knight, praised the late actor's performance in the 2008 movie during Wednesday's episode of Watch What Happens Live.

Gyllenhaal and Ledger played Rachel Dawes and the Joker in The Dark Knight, which opened in theaters six months after Ledger's death. Gyllenhaal shared a favorite memory of Ledger in the interview.

"I remember coming to work and seeing him -- that scene where the Joker throws me off a roof -- seeing him come in and start to do what he was doing. It was the first time I saw it and I still think about this sometimes," Gyllenhaal said.  "It's so hard to be good in a huge movie like that," she explained. "It's not about the acting, really. It's so much easier to be good in a little tiny movie where it's all about you."   "To be amazing like Heath was in a movie that's got explosions and huge stunt scenes and big sets is a whole other thing. I don't know if anyone's ever, ever done that as well as he did in The Dark Knight," the star lauded.

Host Andy Cohen praised Ledger's ability to command a scene.  "It felt like that on set, too," Gyllenhaal agreed. "It was like, 'Whoa, okay. You're on a whole other level.'"

Maggie Gyllenhaal on Heath Ledger

Being Gay And a Latter-day Saint

As a gay man raised as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, playwright Matthew Greene thought coming out would resolve some of his internal struggles.

“That ended up not being the case,” Greene said. "A lot of things got much, much better, but life got a lot more complicated.” Those complications — of reconciling a gay identity with an upbringing as a Latter-day Saint, of finding love in a way a church says is wrong — are the basis of Greene’s new one-man play, “Good Standing,” which will have its world premiere Thursday, Oct. 18, with Salt Lake City’s Plan-B Theatre Company.

Greene describes the play as “the most autobiographical thing I’ve ever written; it’s very much based in my experiences being a gay Mormon,” though the event it depicts is fictional.  The play follows a man named Curtis as he is called before a “court of love” with local church leaders, where he faces excommunication for the sin of marrying the man he loves.  “Usually I write about things that trouble me, or piss me off, or confuse me, as a way of working through all of that,” Greene said.

Being Gay And a Latter-day Saint

Polish Court Sides With Lesbian Couple

A lesbian couple has won the right to register their child in Poland, in an unprecedented ruling for the country.  The decision, handed down today (October 11) by the country’s Supreme Administrative Court, ends a three-year legal battle started by a Polish woman who tried to get her London-born son a Polish birth certificate, according to Reuters.  She and her female partner were registered as his parents in Britain, but Polish administrative officials rejected her attempts to do the same in the country.

After going to the highest administrative court in the land, the couple has now overturned that decision.  Same-sex partners in Poland are not allowed to have children, with adoption, surrogacy and IVF routes blocked off by regressive laws.

The country is one of several in Europe which has not legalised same-sex marriage or civil unions for gay couples and in August, its right-wing Defence Minister Mariusz Blaszczak called a Pride march in Poznan a “parade of sodomites.”  Pawel Knut, a lawyer for Polish LGBT+ rights group Campaign Against Homophobia, said: “This ruling will open up new legal possibilities for gay parents.”

Polish Court Sides With Lesbian Couple

Calling Willow From Buffy The Vampire Slayer a Lesbian is Bi Erasure

Though I’m a child of the 90s and early 2000s, I only watched Buffy The Vampire Slayer in its entirety last year. The show, about a group of underdogs taking on the supernatural entities in their town, was campy at times and thoroughly amusing.  With Halloween just around the corner, I’ve been seeing a lot of Buffy memes in my newsfeed — not to mention the buzz of a sequel in the works with a woman of color as the Slayer.

One of my favorite characters on the show was Willow Rosenberg (played by Alyson Hannigan).  Why did I relate to Willow so much? Like me, she’s a Jewish redhead. A bit quirky, nerdy, and, like myself, beginning to explore witchcraft. This past year, I have come to fully embrace my bisexual identity after years of uncertainty. Like Willow, understanding my sexuality was always a work in progress.

Over the course of Buffy, Willow had quite a few crushes (on both men and women) but two main romantic interests: Oz (played by the adorable Seth Green) and later, Tara (played by Amber Benson).  And honestly? If I had to ship her in either of those relationships, I’d pick her and Oz.

Calling Willow From Buffy The Vampire Slayer a Lesbian is Bi Erasure

Women’s Groups Claim ‘Silencing’ on Transgender Concerns

Nearly 200 prominent figures have signed an open letter raising concerns that public and private bodies are helping “close down discussion” about government plans to make it easier for trans people to have their preferred gender legally recognized.  Writers Marina Strinkovsky and Beatrix Campbell, actors James Dreyfus and Frances Barber, and Pragna Patel, the founder of the Southall Black Sisters Centre, are among 195 people to put their names to the letter, published in the Observer. “We believe the right to discuss proposed changes to the law is fundamental in a democratic society,” they write.

A government consultation on reforming the 2004 Gender Recognition Act (GRA) closes at the end of this week. When she launched it last month, the minister for women and equalities, Penny Mordaunt, said the government particularly wanted to hear “from women’s groups who we know have expressed some concerns about the implications of our proposals”.  But, according to the letter’s signatories, there have been a “series of attempts to close down discussion among women about GRA reform”.

Women’s Groups Claim ‘Silencing’ on Transgender Concerns

Meet the Genderqueer Pop Star You Didn’t Realize You Need in Your Life

Music rarely moves me to tears but there are two tracks on the new album by Planningtorock that hit like an emotional sledgehammer. Both are candid tracks relating to childhood and family life that push very different buttons.  They contribute towards a unique and stunning piece of work – Powerhouse – that deserves to be recognized as one of the very finest albums of 2018.

Until a few weeks ago, I was unfamiliar with Planningtorock: the band name for British musician Jam Rostron. This is despite the fact they produce exactly the sort of work that pricks my ears: minimal electro-flavoured dance tunes with a queer bent.

Powerhouse is their fourth album after something of a hiatus. Planningtorock’s debut, Have It All came out in 2006.  They then signed to the DFA label to release W in 2011, followed by All Love’s Legal in 2014. The latter caught attention with unflinchingly political song titles: Let’s Talk About Gender Baby; Misogyny Drop Dead; and Patriarchy Over & Out.

In an interview via Skype from Berlin (where they have lived since 2000), Rostron tells me they began to identify as qenderqueer around 2010, and as non-binary around the release of All Love’s Legal. Rostron’s identity – and the way the wider world reacts to it – has clearly influenced their work and lyrics.

Meet the Genderqueer Pop Star You Didn’t Realize You Need in Your Life

Charlie Baker in 2010 tapped an openly gay state senator from Wakefield as his running mate, and though they lost, Baker now says that it makes him "so happy" to know that it was his fault, and not prejudice against Richard Tisei.  Four years later and running again, Baker spoke publicly about his brother Alex coming out to him in the 1980s at the bar One Potato, Two Potato in Harvard Square, and how he told him, "That's okay." His campaign even featured the story prominently in a video as evidence of the Republican's inclusiveness.

But as the popular incumbent runs a third time seeking a second four-year term as governor, Baker's relationship with the LGBT community in Massachusetts is not unlike a lot of partnerships: It's complicated.

"I think there are people in the LGBT community who are absolutely supporters of his and there are many of us who want clear leadership, not reactive quiet support. It's hard to criticize him in this environment because national Republicans are far more hostile and he is not that, but it's hard to be grateful for just not being hostile," said Carl Sciortino, a former state lawmaker who works in government affairs for Fenway Health.

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 08:07:45 PM »

Tuesday, October 23rd, 2018

Ang Lee Receives Directors Guild of America Honor

Academy Award-winning Taiwanese-American director Ang Lee on Thursday received the Directors Guild of America (DGA) Honor at the Directors Guild Theater in New York for outstanding contributions to the film industry.

“Thank you for your support. There’s nothing like approval from your peers... I’m very, very touched,” Lee said at the ceremony.  “I will continue to do my best to create those images and stories,” he said. “I think making movies is the most wonderful thing in the world. That’s the way I learned about myself. I learned about the world I live in.”

Lee, 63, won the Academy Award for best director and the DGA Award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement with Brokeback Mountain in 2005; the Oscar for best foreign-language film and the DGA Award with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in 2000; and the Oscar for best director with Life of Pi in 2012.

Ang Lee Receives Directors Guild of America Honor

Houston Library Sued By Anti-Gay Activists Over Drag Queen Story Hour

A crew of anti-gay protesters rallied outside the federal courthouse Friday afternoon, announcing they have sued the Houston Public Library over a city-sponsored Drag Queen Story Hour which they say violates their freedom of religion.

Opponents of the story hour have also turned out to protest the library events, which began last summer in Montrose, the city’s historic gay enclave. Similar drag queen events have been hosted around the country with the aim of providing role models for children.

The lawsuit was filed Friday by a group who has vocally opposed marriage equality and joined the fight to defeat a proposed Houston ordinance that would have lifted gender restrictions on bathrooms. The group has asked a federal judge to halt the reading event, claiming they are not appropriate for all patrons.

Houston Library Sued By Anti-Gay Activists Over Drag Queen Story Hour

A Lesbian Odyssey Through the London Film Festival

My name is Cathy Brennan. I am a queer trans woman and I’ve been lucky enough to join the Time Out film team for the London Film Festival. Immediately upon arrival, I felt like Menna Trussler at the end of ‘Pride’, asking ‘Where are my lesbians?’, only to then be bombarded with metaphorical hugs from said lesbians. The festival has featured many films about women loving women, and they have come in various shades.

Films like ‘Rafiki’ and ‘Carmen & Lola’ tell familiar stories of young love from parts of the world that are rarely represented on the big screen. ‘Carmen & Lola’ is set in the Spanish gypsy community, whereas ‘Rafiki’ is a Kenyan film about the blossoming relationship between the daughters of two local politicians in Nairobi. Both of these women-directed works feature sweet performances from young actors. At the same time, the films do not shy away from issues of homophobia and portray the way this uniquely manifests in their respective communities.

For ‘Carmen & Lola’, the titular characters must navigate the pressure to marry young, while in ‘Rafiki’, the local church is implicated in the ferocious homophobia facing the main characters. Although these films acknowledge the potential perils of being visibly queer, the emphasis is on the love shared between the two couples. The final shot in both films sees our female leads hand-in-hand: an optimistic message for pessimistic times.

A Lesbian Odyssey Through the London Film Festival

Courtney Act on The Bi Life

E!’s The Bi Life is set to make history as the UK’s first reality bisexual dating show, with drag queen Courtney Act set to host.  Set in a villa in Barcelona, The Bi Life will see nine bisexual or questioning singletons trying to find love abroad.  The 10-part series will see the cast live and party together, following each of their dating experiences.

PinkNews speak to host Courtney Act about the discrimination faced by bisexual people within the LGBT+ community—and how her own sexuality has evolved as she’s got older.

Pink News:  This is the UK’s first bisexual dating show. Why is it so important that this happens now?

Courtney Act:    I mean it’s just important regardless of now. The bisexual community is the largest percentage of the LGBT+ community, but it’s the least visible. Whenever you see examples of bisexual people on the television, [like] Lady Gaga in American Horror Story, they’re always somewhat predatorial, kind of the way British people are portrayed on American television. They’re always like the Simon Cowells or the sort of villain.  But now the conversation around sexuality has come so far, and I’m genuinely excited. I’ve now seen the first episode… and the show is so adorable, which is not always a word you associate with reality television. There’s something really heartwarming [about it].

Courtney Act on The Bi Life

‘Transgender’ Could Be Defined Out of Existence Under Trump Administration

The Trump administration is considering narrowly defining gender as a biological, immutable condition determined by genitalia at birth, the most drastic move yet in a government wide effort to roll back recognition and protections of transgender people under federal civil rights law.

A series of decisions by the Obama administration loosened the legal concept of gender in federal programs, including in education and health care, recognizing gender largely as an individual’s choice and not determined by the sex assigned at birth. The policy prompted fights over bathrooms, dormitories, single-sex programs and other arenas where gender was once seen as a simple concept. Conservatives, especially evangelical Christians, were incensed.

Now the Department of Health and Human Services is spearheading an effort to establish a legal definition of sex under Title IX, the federal civil rights law that bans gender discrimination in education programs that receive government financial assistance, according to a memo obtained by The New York Times.

‘Transgender’ Could Be Defined Out of Existence Under Trump Administration

Let's Not Talk About Sex, Baby

For many adolescents, growing older can bring a lot of changes. Some may become boy crazy or interested in girls as young as 8 or 9, while others don't hit that stage until their preteen or teenage years.  But sometimes, people never feel that way. Research by Brock University psychology professor Anthony Bogaert in Ontario, Canada, suggested that roughly 1 percent of the population identifies as asexual, yet it remains relatively misunderstood and is sometimes referred to as the "invisible orientation."

That's why Asexuality Awareness Week exists, and this year, it takes place from Sunday, Oct. 21, through Saturday, Oct. 27.

Like other subsections of the LGBT community, it can be difficult to neatly define asexuality. The Asexual Visibility and Education Network offers the most straightforward description, explaining that an asexual person does not experience sexual attraction — they are not drawn to people sexually and do not desire to act upon attraction to others in a sexual way.  However, things are rarely as simple as they may seem, according to local residents who identify as asexual.

Let's Not Talk About Sex, Baby

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 02:01:36 PM »

Tuesday, October 30th, 2018

Linda Cardellini (Cassie) in New Horror Film

There are many urban legends and stories about ghosts, ghouls and supernatural beings from all cultures, but there is something extra terrifying about the Mexican fable of La Llorona (aka The Weeping Woman). As they say in the debut trailer for the New Line Cinema horror The Curse of La Llorona: “It’s a folktale…to some.”

During Comic-Con in July, New Line gave a generous preview of the horror pic during their ScareDiego event and the new trailer builds on the terror. The fable of La Llorona is about a horrifying apparition of a woman who is caught between heaven and hell. She sealed her own fate when she drowned her children in a jealous rage. After drowning her children, she threw herself in the river after them and wept in pain — now her tears are eternal (hence the name Weeping Woman). Now, she stalks the night looking for children to replace her own.

Directed by Michael Chaves (who will also direct Conjuring 3) and written by Mikki Daughtry and Tobias Iaconis, The Curse of La Llorona is set in the ’70s with the titular supernatural terrorizing the life of a social worker (Linda Cardellini) and her own children. Their only hope to survive La Llorona’s deadly wrath may be a disillusioned priest (Raymond Cruz) and the mysticism he practices to keep evil at bay, on the fringes where fear and faith collide.

Linda Cardellini (Cassie) in New Horror Film

Same-Sex Penguin Couple Become Parents

A same-sex penguin couple is celebrating the birth of a baby chick from an egg they had been incubating and protecting in their nest for nearly five weeks.  The 91-gram chick was born last week at the Sea Life Sydney Aquarium to foster parents and gentoo penguins, Magic and Sphen, in what the aquarium said was an Australian first.  Tish Hannan, the supervisor of the aquarium's Penguin Department, was delighted with the way the pair had been looking after the chick.

"The first day, the younger of the two males was an absolute star, he fed the chick a lot," she said.  "The older male looked a bit disinterested at first, but as soon as he got on the chick he did an amazing job as well, so we are really, really proud of them both."

The egg was one of two from the biological parents and was given to the same-sex penguins after the aquarium observed they had developed a bond, calling and bowing to each other.  The had also built a nest out of pebbles.

Ms Hannan said normally penguins would only raise one chick in the wild.  "A lot of the time the gentoo penguins don't have enough resources to raise both of those chicks," she said.  It was also not surprising Magic and Sphen were proving to be good parents.  "Both males and females have a strong urge to be parents and they share that parental responsibility 100 per cent between the two — it doesn't matter if they have a male-male or female-female pair," Ms Hannan said.

Same-Sex Penguin Couple Become Parents

Alleged "MAGABomber" Told Lesbian Boss She “Should Burn in Hell”

Domestic terrorism suspect Cesar Sayoc’s hatred may not be limited to critics of President Trump.  The Florida man was arrested this week on suspicion of sending a series of mail bombs to high-profile Democrats.  Debra Gureghian, manager of New River Pizza, the Florida eatery where Sayoc was previously employed as a delivery driver, tells CNN’s Kate Bolduan about working with the so-called "MAGABomber."

“He had issues,” Gureghian says. “He was anti-gay, anti-black, anti-Jewish, you name it. Everybody that really wasn’t white and wasn’t a white supremacist didn’t belong in the world. That’s what he used to say to me all the time.”  “He knew I was a lesbian and a very proud lesbian,” she recalls, “and he made it a point to tell me that, you know, God had made a mistake with me and that I should burn in hell.  And he told me, ‘As much as I like you, Debra, you’re gonna be the first one I burn.’” 

Gureghian says she also accepted rides from Sayoc in his “freaky scary” van covered with pro-Trump stickers and various white supremacist paraphernalia.

Alleged "MAGABomber" Told Lesbian Boss She “Should Burn in Hell”

Desiree Akhavan on 'The Bisexual' and Why Her Stories Are Still Taboo

It's been a busy year for director Desiree Akhavan.  In January, her sophomore feature, The Miseducation of Cameron Post, about a teenager forced into a gay conversion therapy, played by Chloe Grace Moretz, won the Grand Jury Prize in Sundance. It was snatched up by festivals and distributors around the world, most recently playing the Rome Film Fest this week.

Earlier this month saw the debut, on Britain's Channel 4, of The Bisexual, a six-part comedy series Akhavan wrote, directed and stars in. She plays Leila, a woman in her 30s who, after leaving her female partner (Maxine Peake) begins dating men. Hulu will premiere The Bisexual in the U.S. Nov. 16.

The Bisexual is tricky because I’ve just never seen any representation, outside of Tila Tequila who had a reality show called A Shot at Love,” Akhavan told The Hollywood Reporter in Rome. “That’s all I’ve seen. I’m excited to have representation for bisexuality and just tell this one story. But with everything I make, I want people to feel less alone. I make it for the people who know those stories. And if someone meets their first bisexual friend through that story, in terms of loving the characters, that would be incredible.”

The concept of identity is one Akhavan has tackled throughout her career, starting with her 2014 debut feature Appropriate Behaviour, the story of a hip, politically-correct bisexual Brooklynite (played by Akhavan) who also struggles to become the ideal Persian daughter. Unsurprisingly, the story was inspired by her own life and struggle with multiple identities.

Desiree Akhavan on 'The Bisexual' and Why Her Stories Are Still Taboo

How Redefining Gender Under Trump Could Affect Transgender People's Health

For Kellie Hooker, there's a new sense of urgency to have a surgery that will make him feel more comfortable in his body.  The accelerated timeline to transition came after Hooker heard reports that the Trump administration is mulling a narrower definition of gender under the law based on the genitals a person is born with.  Hooker, who grew up in North Carolina and now lives in Las Vegas, said he moved to get closer to California, a state where he can undergo gender affirming surgery on his chest without facing discrimination.

“I wasn’t going to get top surgery, but in light of all that’s happening, I’ve been flooded with dysphoria,” Hooker told ABC News. “To take these huge steps back would make me feel no better than I felt as a child -- tied down and controlled due to social constructs.”

Hooker's concerns reflect many of the concerns of the estimated 1.4 million transgender and gender diverse people living in the United States, who now seem to face a new threat from the Trump administration as the Department of Health and Human Services is reportedly leading an effort to redefine sex based solely on the sexual anatomy a person is born with.  “Sex means a person’s status as male or female based on immutable biological traits identifiable by or before birth,” a memo from the Department of Health and Human Services said, according to a report from The New York Times earlier this week. “The sex listed on a person’s birth certificate, as originally issued, shall constitute definitive proof of a person’s sex unless rebutted by reliable genetic evidence.”

How Redefining Gender Under Trump Could Affect Transgender People's Health

My Intersex Life

Earlier this year, 23-year-old Anick - who was born intersex - was getting ready for the last in a series of operations that would give him a fully-functioning penis. The BBC followed his progress.

"I've lost count of how many doctors and nurses have seen me naked over the years," says Anick. "In the past few years alone it's been more than 100."  Anick was born with genitals that didn't resemble either a boy's or a girl's. "The doctors said to my parents: 'This child is mostly like a boy, but we're not sure yet,'" he says.  He did have testicles but they were in the wrong place, so his first operation - to move them - came at the age of four months.  Throughout his childhood, people would tell Anick that he wasn't really like other boys.

"I knew there was something different about me, but I didn't understand what," he says.  "I knew that my parents loved me, but at the same time they were taking me to the hospital every six months, where the doctors would use words like 'abnormal' and 'atypical' when they were talking about me."

My Intersex Life

The LGBT Community's Straight Man

Hal Sparks knows a lot of things and he's not afraid to talk to you about them. Which is a good thing because he was sitting in L.A. traffic when he called me for our interview so I learned a few things about him. Hal is one of those people that makes life's biggest problems sound so easy to figure out. You ask him a question and he has an answer and suddenly you think, "I'd drink his Kool-Aid."

And that's not a bad thing because his power is used for good. He is about the only straight person I've ever met that says he's an LGBT ally and puts his money--and time--where his mouth is. Most Gen-X gay men know the actor for his character Michael Novotny which he played for five seasons on Showtime's groundbreaking series "Queer as Folk." Others may remember him in "Dude, Where's My Car?" Gen-Zers, like my kids, know him as Davenport on Disney's Lab Rats. His career is like his mind, always working.

But before all of that, he was a stand-up comedian and this week he is coming to Martinis Above Fourth to perform his show simply titled "Hal Sparks: Live! in San Diego."

Ahead of that show, I wanted to talk to him about his career, his political views and any other random thing we got sidetracked on. Hal has been doing stand up since he was 16 he says. He's taken very few breaks from it. "The only times my stand up slowed down was in the mid-90's when I was in a sketch group for two years and then during Queer as Folk because we were sequestered in the Great White North, filming 16 to 20 hour days, nine months out of the year," he said.

The LGBT Community's Straight Man

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: brian, KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 12:54:03 PM »

Tuesday, November 6th, 2018

Focus Features Interviews Dave Cullen

In 2005, Focus Features was ending their year by releasing the highly anticipated movie, Brokeback Mountain.  The movie, based on the original short story by Annie Proulx,  had a production budget of approximately $14 million, and was given a limited release.

While it was expected to be critically acclaimed, it went on to become a huge box office success, grossing over $83 million in the US, and over $95 million more internationally.  During award season, it was given multiple awards, including 4 Golden Globes and 3 Academy Awards.

The movie affected many viewers, including our own Dave Cullen, creator of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum (originally known as The Dave Cullen Forum).   The forum has attracted the attention of people from all over the world, and is known by James Schamus, Diana Ossana, Larry McMurtry, and Annie Proulx, all of whom submitted profiles to the forum for publication in early editions of TDS.

Recently, Focus Features reached out to Dave for an interview, to get his feelings on Brokeback Mountain, 13 years later.  To read the interview, please click the link below.

What Brokeback Means to Me

Anti-Gay Crackdown in Tanzania

The United States has sent out a warning to US citizens that are in Tanzania, alerting them to what is being called an "anti-gay crackdown" in the country.  Those who are at the embassy are being told to review their social media accounts and their internet "footprint", and in order to protect themselves, they should protect or remove any images that could be seen as "breaking" the laws of Tanzania that regard homosexuality and homosexual "behavior".

Tanzania's president (John Magufuli) was elected in 2015 and has targeted homosexuality.

Just last year,  Tanzanian police conducted a raid on a hotel, and arrested a dozen men.  It is alleged that the meeting was being used to "promote" same-sex relationships.   Anyone who is arrested on a charge of have “carnal knowledge of any person against the order of nature” could result in a jail term of up to 30 years.

Anti-Gay Crackdown in Tanzania

Norfolk, VA Loses Last Lesbian Bar

Over the past few years, there have been numerous stories regarding lesbian bars, and the fact that they are all disappearing.  Places like Duchess, Bonnie & Clyde’s, Crazy Nanny’s, Meow Mix, Catty Shack,  all located in what could be called "gay meccas" like NYC, shutting their doors forever.

There have been many suggestions as to the causes.  Bad economy, lesbians moving out of the city and into the suburbs, just staying home on a Saturday night, or even using the internet to meet and chat with/meet/ hook-up with other lesbians.

The latest bar to shut its doors is Hershee Bar, located in Norfolk, Virginia.  Hershee Bar opened 35 years ago (1983) and has been a staple in the neighborhood. 

Charles Cooper, who owns the property, asked the city to buy the lot in 2017 after his family removes the buildings. Cooper’s son has said the bar was not targeted and other nearby businesses would also be affected by the sale.

Norfolk, Va. Loses Last Lesbian Bar

An Important Moment For Bisexuals

When this edition of TDS hits, it will be Election Day in the United States.  There are 22 candidates running for House seats that identify as LGBT, and they could be elected in states that are turning from 'red' (Republican) to 'blue' (Democrat).

There has been much talk about a "blue wave" during this election cycle, and there appears to be a 'rainbow wave' as well, as the LGBT candidates are getting a lot of exposure and support.  The only two bi candidates with significant media coverage are Katie Hill, running for California’s 25th district, and Kyrsten Sinema, a U.S. representative for Arizona’s 9th district who is running to replace Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ).

While there have been openly gay, lesbian and transgender candidates before,  it wasn't until 2015 that Kate Brown became the first open bisexual to hold the office of governor.

An Important Moment For Bisexuals

We Will Not Be Erased!

St. Petersburg, Florida was the location of a rally that was put together and attended by transgender people and their supports, as a show of support for transgender people, and a protest against the policies of the Trump Administration.

Transgender rights were moving forward in recent years, but since the election of Donald Trump, many of those rights are in danger of being removed or reversed.  The Trump Administration has attempted numerous times to prevent transgender people from serving in the military, but so far, the moves have been thwarted.  However, a new policy that has been proposed has many transgender people angry and afraid.

The Administration wants to narrow the definition of gender to male and female, stating that people would have to identify as the gender they were physically born as. The move would roll back efforts by the Obama administration to broaden legal definitions of gender and sex to include an estimated 1.4 million transgender Americans.

We Will Not Be Erased!

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

Many forum members may be familiar with the character of Sabrina, the Teenage Witch.  She made her debut in the original Archie comics, as a friend of Archie, Jughead, Betty, Veronica, and the rest of the gang.   She appeared in their stories, as well as her own "Sabrina" series.  Later, she had her own TV sitcom, and was portrayed by Melissa Joan Hart.

Recently, the Archie gang got a 'reboot' in a new TV series called Riverdale. After a teenager was murdered within the town of Riverdale, a group of teenagers, the jock Archie, the girl next door Betty, the new girl Veronica and the outcast Jughead try to unravel the evils lurking within this seemingly innocent town.  The show became a hit, and the result was Sabrina got her own reboot, called "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina"

Aside from exploring the darker side of the teen-aged witch, the series will also feature non-binary characters, and explore such themes as genderqueer people and pansexuality.

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

Courtney Act on Straight Allies

Shane Gilberto Jenek originally auditioned for Australian Idol as a man, and was turned away.  She returned as her drag persona, Courtney Act, and she got on the show, becoming the first contestant to compete on the show in drag.

Courtney continued to work in drag, and was later picked as a contestant for RuPaul's Drag Race.  It is here she received major fame, finishing in the top 3.  This resulted in a music career and TV shows, most recently, The Bi Life.

In an interview with Capital FM, Courtney talks about her career, her new show, and how much support she's received from straight allies, and how the LGBT community needs straight allies to move forward.

Courtney Act on Straight Allies

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 08:55:06 PM »

Tuesday, November 13th, 2018

Kate Mara, Simon Pegg to Star in Thriller ‘Inheritance’

Kate Mara and Simon Pegg are in negotiations to star in the independent thriller “Inheritance” with British director Vaughn Stein attached.  The film explores what happens when the patriarch of a wealthy and powerful family suddenly passes away, leaving his wife and daughter with a shocking secret inheritance that threatens to unravel and destroy their lives.

Highland Film Group launched foreign sales at the American Film Market in Santa Monica, Calif. this week. UTA and Highland Film Group are co-repping the U.S. rights.  Matthew Kennedy wrote the script, and Richard B. Lewis is producing through his Southpaw Entertainment banner alongside David Wulf of WulfPak Productions, and Convergent Media’s Dan Reardon and Santosh Govindaraju.

“Inheritance” is Highland’s second collaboration with Stein; it previously partnered on his debut film “Terminal,” which was released earlier this year.

Kate Mara, Simon Pegg to Star in Thriller ‘Inheritance’

Nashville Pastor Condemns Gay Conversion Therapy

Like many other religious leaders, the Rev. Stan Mitchell once believed in conversion therapy for gay Christians. Years ago, before his views on homosexuality evolved, Mitchell would send parishioners to so-called therapy, hoping to turn them straight with the threat of eternal damnation.

“I was a pastor in a megachurch, and I was party to destroying these people," Mitchell said during an interview on CBS News on Sunday morning.  "Do you have any idea of how many young people you had recommended go through conversion therapy?” asked CBS correspondent Erin Moriarty.  "I've tried to forget. I've tried to forget," Mitchell replied.

Mitchell, the founding pastor of Nashville’s GracePoint Church, a progressive interdenominational Christian congregation, spoke out against the highly controversial practice of anti-gay conversion therapy during an 12-minute segment on the practice on CBS News on Sunday morning. During the news segment, Mitchell says the therapy, which does lasting damage, is still used to attempt to convert children as young as 10.

Nashville Pastor Condemns Gay Conversion Therapy

Sharice Davids Makes Political History in Kansas

Sharice Davids, a Democrat from Kansas, made history Tuesday by becoming the first openly LGBTQ Kansan elected to Congress. She joins Debra Haaland of New Mexico, another winning Democrat on Tuesday, as the first two Native American women elected to Congress.  Davids ousted Republican Rep. Kevin Yoder, beating him by nearly a double-digit margin.

“Tonight Kansas voters gave the boot to a Trump ally and replaced him with a groundbreaking LGBTQ leader who spoke her truth throughout the campaign,” former Houston Mayor Annise Parker, now the president and CEO of the LGBTQ Victory Fund, said in a statement to NBC News.

“Sharice won the hearts of voters by putting forward a positive and solutions-oriented agenda while explaining how her experiences as a Native American LGBTQ woman influenced her policy positions and beliefs,” Parker added. “Sharice’s victory tonight will become a model for other LGBTQ leaders considering a run for office in red states or districts.”

Sharice Davids Makes Political History in Kansas

Is Archie Bisexual in Riverdale?

Varchie fans (fans of the show Riverdale who want a relationship between Archie and Veronica) could be finding their hearts broken next week if the teaser’s anything to go by – as Archie shockingly locks lips with his fellow prison inmate Joaquin.

Until this point, Archie has only ever been seen as straight – launching into an explicit affair with his teacher before getting into a troublesome relationship with Veronica, but could our Archiekins actually be bisexual? As Archie and the Serpents plan their escape from the prison (which, as it happens, is also a front for cruel fighting matches by the guards and warden), it appears that Joaquin has taken a shine to would-be serpent, Archie.

In a teaser clip for next week’s episode, Joaquin, played by Rob Raco, is seen pulling in our ginger-haired hero for a passionate snog – but does he feel the same way? Or has Joaquin simply misread the signals? Back in June, KJ Apa, who plays Archie, revealed that he was more than up for a gay storyline involving the out gay member of the teen gang, Kevin. Speaking at a Comic-Con in Australlia, KJ simply announced: ‘Love it. Let’s go!'

Is Archie Bisexual in Riverdale?

The Freedom—and Fear—of Traveling While Transgender

One of the many ironies of being transgender is that, after coming out, “in” becomes the safest place to be: In your bedroom. In your apartment. Stick to your comfort zone and you avoid potential annoyance, harassment—even physical violence—but you end up seeing the paint on your own four walls and not much else.

Maybe that’s why traveling as a transgender person feels so incredible, despite all the hassles: Not only are you out as yourself, you are truly “out” in the fullest sense of the word, refusing to hide from a world that would often rather you stay out of sight.

The freest I have felt since coming out as a transgender woman wasn’t when I first started feeling the mood-lifting effects of hormone therapy, or when I woke up in the hospital after sex reassignment surgery—it was when I simply stood on top of a rock outcropping in the East Fjords of Iceland, listening to the Sveinstekksfoss waterfall plunge into a pool of glacier-blue water behind me. I was out, and I was out.

But it took years to get there.

The Freedom—and Fear—of Traveling While Transgender

Yasmin Benoit on Asexuality Stereotypes

Yasmin Benoit is a model, activist and an aromantic asexual smashing tired stereotypes about asexuality.  She spoke to PinkNews about whitewashing of asexuality, what people say to her when coming out, and why the A in LGBTQIA does not stand for ally.

“There was never really a time where I didn’t think I was asexual,” Yasmin explained. “I noticed when I was about eight and I was in primary school like everyone’s hormones seemed to kick in and all of a sudden the boys and girls fancied each other and I was like, alright, what’s this?  “The default is straight so when people would ask me I’d be like well I guess I’m straight but I don’t like boys. And they were like: ‘Well then you’re probably not straight.’

“They said: ‘Well do you like girls?’ and I was like no, I don’t really like anybody. And they were like: ‘Well maybe you’re asexual or something?’  “So I Googled that and I was like yeah, sounds about right. So when I was about 14, I just started using that word."

Yasmin Benoit on Asexuality Stereotypes

Ways To Be a Super Queer Ally

Allyship has been defined by the Canadian PeerNetBC as “an active, consistent and arduous practice of unlearning and re-evaluating, in which a person in a position of privilege and power seeks to operate in solidarity with a marginalised group”.

The term “ally” is used in the lesbian gay bisexual transgender (LGBT) community to describe someone who is supportive of its people. This term includes non-LGBT allies as well as those in the LGBT community who support each other; for example, a lesbian who is an ally of the bisexual community.

In the age of social media and digital activism, allyship comes under fire for being lacklustre at best and problematic at worst. There are a lot of ways it looks good on social media — Instagram photos at Pride, woke tweets during #BiVisbility week or Facebook filters supporting legalisation about homosexuality in India, but there is more that goes into it than a contrived selfie.
There are some lessons to learn about how to be a good ally to the queer community.

Ways To Be a Super Queer Ally

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 04:39:08 PM »

Tuesday, November 20th, 2018

Anna Faris Shows Off Her Singing Skills

Anna Faris takes the holidays seriously!  The 41-year-old actress teamed up with her "Sleigh Team" -- Yvonne Orji, Cecily Strong and Chrissie Fit -- for a fun-filled music video showing fans how they can own the holidays with Barefoot Wine.

Tituss Burgess also makes an appearance in the video, called "Sleighin' The Holidays," but as Fit told ET, it was Faris who was perhaps most committed to her character. "Throughout the whole shoot, every time we were between takes, she was like, creating a whole backstory for her character, that was different every time," Fit revealed.

As for what it means for "sleigh" the holidays, Fit explained it's all about "enjoying the time that you have with your family." "Sometimes it gets a little stressful around the holidays -- Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Eve -- looking for that kiss," she noted. "But you should just enjoy it."

Anna Faris Shows Off Her Singing Skills

Ex-Cowboys Support Gay Teammate Before His Wedding

Ed “Too Tall” Jones said he exchanged text messages earlier this week with Thomas “Hollywood’’ Henderson, another retired Dallas Cowboys star, as they absorbed the news.  “Did you have any idea?’’ wondered Henderson, the former linebacker.  “No,’’ replied Jones, the former defensive end who said he promptly called former Cowboys offensive lineman Crawford Ker. “Crawford and I talked a long time about it, and Crawford’s feeling was the same as mine,’’ Jones said. “I don’t like to use the word shocked. There aren’t very many things that shock me anymore. But surprised. And Crawford was, too.’’

What Jones, Ker and other Cowboys from the 1982 to 1987 teams have been discussing: One of their former teammates on Sunday is set to become the first known NFL player to marry a man. A linebacker whom Jones and other Cowboys remember was popular with women – Jeff Rohrer.

“Women loved him because he was a gentleman, he was smart and a good football player,’’ Jones said. “… If you had said, ‘Ed, get me a list of five people in the history of the game (you think are gay),’ he wouldn’t have been nowhere near it.’’

Ex-Cowboys Support Gay Teammate Before His Wedding

A Lesbian Leather Daddy Love Story

Kimberly Dark, author of The Daddies, is featured in this issue of the San Francisco Bay Times. I asked Dark to discuss the phrase, “Who’s your Daddy?” which started showing up in mainstream cultural references during the 1990s. Those words can be spoken as a question, a challenge, a flirtation, a joke or even a threat. It’s all about inflection, intention and who is asking. Apparently, we have so much shared cultural meaning about “Daddy” that the speakers and listeners can simply intuit meaning and proceed to laugh at the joke, or experience the shame, as appropriate. But who is Daddy in American culture? Here, Dark explains what inspired her to write The Daddies.

A Lesbian Leather Daddy Love Story

Bisexual Bad Boys That Make Us Shiver

There’s a certain sex appeal bad boys have. Maybe it’s the devil-may-care attitude. Maybe it’s the way their hair is oh so carefully disheveled. Maybe it’s the fact that unlike nice guys, you know exactly what you’re getting when you find yourself attracted to a bad boy. Or, maybe it’s just the promise that you’ll wake up in the morning hating yourself a little, but having had one hell of a night.

Now, find yourself a bad boy who is bisexual+ and we’re talking all the sexy goodness without all the heterosexist BS that can make cishet men so annoying in the first place. Being bisexual+ doesn’t make someone morally superior, of course, but that’s not what we’re looking for when it comes to bad boys.

The thirst is real. In honor of that unquenchable desire, here’s a list of the bisexual+ bad boys of genre—the antiheroes, the villains, the morally ambiguous—that make us shiver with delight and desire. To be clear, none of these are people we suggest dating and if you meet someone like these folks, heed the red flags and run the other way. But, we won’t judge you if you engage in a bit of hate banging first.

Bisexual Bad Boys That Make Us Shiver

A Powerful Look At The Struggles Of Transgender Youth

Actor, director and activist Jake Graf says he hopes to shine a light on the struggles young transgender people experience with his new harrowing short film.

Released Tuesday, “Listen” dramatizes a number of scenarios that, unfortunately, remain too common for young trans people. The 4 1/2-minute clip, which can be viewed at the link below, shows them being ignored and bullied by classmates, or mocked as they attempt to use a locker room that aligns with their gender identity. One teen avoids eating and drinking in hopes of avoiding the possible embarrassment of visiting a public restroom.   

Graf told HuffPost he hopes to inspire viewers to “listen to our trans and queer youth” with the film, released in honor of Transgender Awareness Week.  “If they tell you who they are, that they are being bullied, that they want to dress differently or use a particular bathroom, they just need us to hear them and help,” he said. “They know exactly who they are, and that certainly should be admired rather than doubted.”

A Powerful Look At The Struggles Of Transgender Youth

Why Loki Needs To Be Pansexual

Following the news that Loki will return in a new show set to premiere on Disney+, actor Tom Hiddleston promised that the mythological deity has “more mischief to make” and “more stories to tell,” but will any of these stories address his sexual orientation and gender fluidity?

Considering that Loki feels most at home in the shadows, it’s only fitting that Marvel hasn’t yet released any details about his first solo outing. Without even an official title to work with, next to nothing is known about Loki’s small screen debut aside from its very existence, and that’s exactly how Marvel likes it.

By providing fans with only the smallest nuggets of information, the studio can stoke speculation, riling up fans who are desperate to learn how their favorite character will return following his murder in Avengers: Infinity War. Did the God of Mischief play another fast one on us? Will he be resurrected in Avengers 4? Will his solo show work as a prequel?

Somewhere in the world, Kevin Feige is cackling wildly right now to no one in particular.

Why Loki Needs To Be Pansexual

Pelosi Rolls Out LGBT Support

House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi unveiled the support of more than 100 LGBT leaders and advocates Friday as she intensified her campaign to reclaim the speaker’s gavel.  The letter makes the case for the San Francisco Democrat as a decades-long advocate for the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. It joins a series of testimonials from national groups voicing support for Pelosi.

The letter highlights Pelosi’s “tireless” work for LGBT rights during her 31-year career in Congress, including her first House speech — on the HIV/AIDS epidemic — and her efforts in passing hate crimes legislation.  “There is no better ally to the LGBTQ community on Capitol Hill than Leader Pelosi, period,” the group wrote.

Signatories included outgoing Human Rights Campaign President Chad Griffin; Jim Obergefell, plaintiff in the landmark court case that led to legalization of same-sex marriages; and San Francisco’s James Hormel, who became the first openly gay U.S. ambassador when former President Bill Clinton appointed him as envoy to Luxembourg.

Pelosi Rolls Out LGBT Support

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 02:29:46 PM »

Tuesday, November 27th, 2018

Conversation About 'Straightbaiting'

Films about queer people are fine, as long as they're not too queer...That most often seems to be the tack Hollywood takes. They'll make a glowing biopic about a queer icon, or a moving queer love story, but when it comes to actual queerness or *gasp* queer sex... well, Hollywood tends to tiptoe around things, because we mustn't turn off the straights!

Most recently, this issue has been brought to the forefront with the release of the Freddy Mercury biopic Bohemian Rhapsody. The film had a backlash before it was ever released for its plans to tread lightly when it came to Mercury's sexual identity, and especially his battle with AIDS during its early years as an epidemic among queer people (along with other marginalized groups). The marketing of the film seems to strain to obscure Mercury's identity and the film's queer content, and now that the film has finally dropped, many reviewers are finding that those early suspicions of "straightwashing" were dead on.

Perhaps with Bohemian Rhapsody on the brain, a Twitter user recently unearthed promotional materials for another queer film that was "straightbaited" within an inch of its life: Ang Lee's 2006's Oscar-nominated film Brokeback Mountain, a story of a love affair between two cowboys that was widely marketed as a story about just plain ol' love at best, and explicitly straight love at worst.

Conversation About 'Straightbaiting'

Chinese Writer Sentenced to 10 Years in Prison for Homoerotic Book

A Chinese novelist has been sentenced to 10 years in prison for writing and distributing homoerotic novels, provoking widespread debate online over the severity of her sentence.  The female writer, surnamed Liu, but more commonly known by her internet pseudonym Tianyi, was arrested in 2017 following the success of her novel "Occupy," according to reports in Chinese state media.

The book was described by police in East China's Anhui Province as depicting "obscene sexual behavior between males" set to themes of "violence, abuse and humiliation."  Despite being sentenced to 10 years in prison by a court in the city of Wuhu on October 31, Liu's case was brought only recently to nationwide attention after being shared widely online.

The popularity of homoerotic fiction, dubbed "boys love," has soared in recent years in China, where a booming cottage industry of self-published authors churn out hundreds of new titles each month.  Such is the success of the genre, that several titles have been adapted into film, including last year's popular web series "Guardian." Recently, Chinese internet giant Tencent also looked to capitalize on the trend with the announcement it had acquired two popular titles for adaption online.

Chinese Writer Sentenced to 10 Years in Prison for Homoerotic Book

More Than $100,000 Raised for Lesbian Athlete Disowned by Family

A New York college athlete, rejected by her parents for being a lesbian, has received overwhelming financial support from strangers.  Emily Scheck, a star cross-country runner at Buffalo’s Canisius College, was kicked out of her home in August after her parents discovered on social media that she had a girlfriend. Scheck’s father reportedly drove from Rochester to Buffalo, put her personal belongings in the trunk of her car, and left a note telling her to never contact her family again.

Given the option to return home and seek therapy, Scheck chose to stay in the dorms and live without her parents’ financial support. While also pursuing her business degree, the 19-year-old sophomore now works two jobs to afford tuition.

Scheck’s friends launched a GoFundMe campaign that has raised more than $100,000 from 2,573 people to cover her various educational and living expenses, far exceeding its $5,000 goal. “Help her focus on school instead of working to make ends meet,” wrote Scheck’s teammate Grace, the campaign organizer. “Help her feel accepted. Help her feel like herself.”

More Than $100,000 Raised for Lesbian Athlete Disowned by Family

Rita Ora on Coming Out as Bisexual

Singer Rita Ora revealed that she was not scared to come out as bisexual especially after releasing her controversial song Girls which she received major backlash for.  During an interview with Stylist magazine Rita, who recently released her latest album Phoenix, opened up about coming out as bisexual and why she felt like she was ready to tell her truth.

“I wasn't scared. I waited for a reason, because none of the times before felt right,” explained Rita.  “I'm an adult, I felt like this was something I needed to do to move forward. I'm very proud of who I am and my journey to get here - everybody has to go through these things to learn about themselves.”

The Let You Love Me singer – who was criticised earlier this year for fetishising bisexual women in Girls which features rapper Cardi B, Charli XCX as well as singer Bebe Rexha – decided to come out about her sexuality in a formal apology she posted on Twitter.  Speaking about the single, which was reportedly inspired by Cara Delavigne, Rita said that she expected people’s surprised reactions.  “That was a really sensitive subject for me; it was my story and I knew it was going to be a bit of a shock for people because I'd never spoken about it in public before.”

Rita Ora on Coming Out as Bisexual

White House Asks Supreme Court To Fast-Track Ruling On Transgender Military Ban

The Department of Justice asked the Supreme Court on Friday to bypass lower courts and rule quickly on its ban of most transgender military members.

It's not the first time that the administration has asked the Supreme Court to intercede in the appeals process. In January, it petitioned the Supreme Court to fast-track cases challenging the Trump administration's plans to end DACA, or Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. The federal program protects young immigrants from deportation. That request was denied — but just weeks ago, the Justice Department asked again.

For a case to bypass lower courts, it must be of "imperative public importance" — important enough to warrant a change in the process it's reviewed by appellate courts, and important enough "to require immediate determination in this court," according to Supreme Court rules.  The official petition from Solicitor General Noel J. Francisco argued that the White House ban on transgender military members "satisfies that standard."

White House Asks Supreme Court To Fast-Track Ruling On Transgender Military Ban

Protecting Transgender & Intersex Patients

As physicians, we understand clearly how sex is determined. Most commonly, we see a second trimester ultrasound image, which is then consistent with external genitalia at birth. Biological sex is apparent. Male or female is recorded on the birth certificate. Case closed.

Medical school taught us that certain chromosomal and biochemical differences exist that result in genitalia at birth that is not clearly a clitoris or a penis. We know that the designation of biological sex can be more complex than what is indicated by visible genitalia. Some of us might recall from first-year biochemistry that the most common cause of atypical genitalia at birth is congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH). But CAH is only one of many causes of biological sex that does not fall into the binary of male or female, and the differential is long.

Not all differences of sexual development (DSD), also termed disorders of sexual development, result in genitalia demonstrated at birth that deviates from standard male or female appearances. Some require anatomic surveys or chromosomal analysis to determine an accurate diagnosis. Some DSD are not diagnosed until puberty or later. And the likelihood of each diagnosis on this long differential also varies widely. CAH, the most common cause of "ambiguous" genitalia, affects one in 13,000 live births. Klinefelter syndrome, in which an individual has XXY chromosomes and does not typically receive a diagnosis until puberty, is much more common at 1 in 1,000.

Protecting Transgender & Intersex Patients

Rainbow Laces Campaign

The Rainbow Laces campaign is set to launch this weekend in the Premier League, with footballers and fans wearing the laces to promote awareness of LGBT representation within sport.  All Premier League clubs will take part in the campaign, and will also feature a Rainbow Laces flag, ball plinth and substitutes board.  But what is the Rainbow Laces campaign, and why is it so important? Goal takes a look.

Rainbow Laces is spearheaded by Stonewall, a charity that aims to promote LGBT equality and fight homophobia, and their Rainbow Laces campaign is designed specifically to promote lesbian, gay, bi and trans equality within sport.  The Rainbow Laces campaign is due to kick off this weekend across the UK, and will take place from Saturday November 24 to Friday December 7.

Additionally, on November 28, thousands of fans are expected to take part in a huge lace-up in a nationwide support of LGBT athletes for "Rainbow Laces Day", with more than 75,000 Rainbow Laces already being sold.

Rainbow Laces Campaign

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: gwyllion, KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 07:40:32 PM »

Tuesday, December 4th, 2018

First Look at Dan Gilroy’s ‘Velvet Buzzsaw’ Starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Rene Russo

It’s a Nightcrawler reunion in the first image from the upcoming film Velvet Buzzsaw, which was just announced as part of the Premieres lineup at the 2019 Sundance Film Festival. Written and directed by Nightcrawler filmmaker Dan Gilroy, the film stars Jake Gyllenhaal and Rene Russo and is described as a thriller set in the contemporary art world scene of Los Angeles, “where big money artists and mega-collectors pay a high price when art collides with commerce.” The film was produced by Netflix and will debut on the streaming service at some point next year.

This first-look image is mighty enticing, especially with regards to Gyllenhaal’s wholly unique look. I suppose you could say that’s right on point for the L.A. art scene, and I’m extremely curious to see just what in the world this movie is. Between this and Okja one thing’s for sure: When it comes to Netflix movies, Gyllenhaal has a look.

After working as a screenwriter for a number of years, Gilroy burst onto the scene as a filmmaker in his own right with 2014’s spectacular Nightcrawler, which also boasts one of Gyllenhaal’s best performances ever. Gilroy’s follow-up film, 2017’s Roman J. Israel, Esq., suffered a bit of a sophomore slump however. The Denzel Washington-fronted drama was a bit rambling and unfocused when it came to the story, and I’m curious to see what lessons Gilroy learned—if any—that he applied to Velvet Buzzsaw.

First Look at Dan Gilroy’s ‘Velvet Buzzsaw’ Starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Rene Russo

Gay Student Gets Standing Ovation After Coming Out

A student at a Catholic boys school got a standing ovation when he came out as gay during a speech at assembly.  Finn Stannard, a Year 12 student at St Ignatius College Riverview, in Sydney, told 7.30 he gave the speech for his "younger self".  "I've been working towards this speech for four years," Mr Stannard said in front of 1,000 students.  "In those four years, I have come to understand who I am and how to not be sorry for being myself.  Telling friends was difficult and came with a lot of anxiety. My main fear was no longer being accepted or losing my friends and being the subject of derogatory jokes."

Mr Stannard told 7.30 he was overwhelmed to receive a standing ovation from his peers.  "I felt like I was part of that community again," he said.  "I felt like I had gotten this chance to be the real me and people accepting me for that. That was just the best feeling in the world.  I wanted to do it for my younger self. I didn't have a role model in school who I could follow to help me understand who I was, how I should behave, how I should be able to be me."

Gay Student Gets Standing Ovation After Coming Out

Married Lesbian Palestinian-Jewish Comedians Aim to Get Laughs, Make History

Eman El-Husseini and Jess Salomon have a few people to thank for their marriage — including a drunk Italian guy at a comedy club and Saddam Hussein.  Salomon is a Jew from Canada. El-Husseini is the daughter of a Palestinian family that fled her birth country of Kuwait in 1991, when she was a child, after Hussein’s Iraqi army invaded the country.

“Sometimes I like to give Saddam Hussein a shout-out for invading Kuwait because if not for that, this one’s family might not have ended up in Montreal, and we might not have ever met.” Salomon says.  “So Saddam Hussein is a big part of our relationship,” El-Husseini interjects. “I mentioned him at the wedding in my speech,” Salomon responds, “and nobody liked it.”

Now the two comics are in calmer environs: sitting at a tiny table in a trendy coffee and matcha place in Brooklyn, where they have lived since 2015. Like legions of comedians, they have come to New York City to make it big.  There is one thing, however, that sets them apart: Not many two-person comedy acts can credibly say they are a lesbian Palestinian-Jewish married couple. “It’s the only conflict you can bring up where everyone knows the reference,” Salomon said. “Even if you’re in the middle of nowhere America, if I say I’m Jewish and my wife is Palestinian, people are like ‘Ooooh …’”

Married Lesbian Palestinian-Jewish Comedians Aim to Get Laughs, Make History

More Brits Identify As Gay Or Bisexual Than Ever Before

Lesbian, gay, bisexual, pansexual, trans, queer, asexual, intersex and so many more — there are so many ways to identify sexually. And if you don't want to, you don't have to at all. Many people now consider sexuality to be a spectrum rather than black and white. This is the idea that some people identify as completely heterosexual, some identify as completely homosexual and others fall somewhere in between. A recent study found that more Brits are open about identifying as homosexual or bisexual than ever before. But why is this? Is it that more people identify as LGB or is it that increased representation and acceptance has made people feel far more comfortable in their decision to come out?

The healthcare company, euroClinix surveyed 2,000 people around the UK in a mass study to find out about the sex lives of Brits. Of those who were questioned 87 percent of respondents identified as heterosexual, 6 percent identified as homosexual, and 7 percent identified as bisexual. However, there was discrepancies within age groups as while 24 percent of 18-24 year olds said they defined themselves as either homosexual or bisexual, only 9 percent of over 65s identified that way. It suggests that more young people feel comfortable about coming out as in 2014 a similar survey undertaken by the Observer in 2014 found that 21 percent of 18- 24 year olds would identify as homosexual or bisexual.

More Brits Identify As Gay Or Bisexual Than Ever Before

Federal Judge Denies Trump Administration Attempt to Block Order Limiting Transgender Military Ban

A federal judge has denied a request to block or limit an order that temporarily prohibits the government from enforcing a ban on transgender troops in the US military, in the latest legal setback for the Trump administration as it aims to regulate who can serve in the American armed forces.  The request was denied in the US District Court for the District of Columbia, where Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly said that the court is not convinced that the US government would be irreparably harmed without a stay of the October 2017 preliminary injunction that stayed President Donald Trump's plan to keep transgender troops out of the military.

"Without supporting evidence, defendants’ bare assertion that the Court’s injunction poses a threat to military readiness is insufficient to overcome the public interest in ensuring that the government does not engage in unconstitutional and discriminatory conduct", Ms Kollar-Kotelly wrote in the court's decision.  She continued: “After all, ‘it must be remembered that all Plaintiffs seek during this litigation is to serve their nation with honour and dignity, volunteering to face extreme hardships, to endure lengthy deployments and separation from family and friends, and to willingly make the ultimate sacrifice of their lives if necessary to protect the Nation, the people of the United States, and the Constitution against all who would attack them’”.

Federal Judge Denies Trump Administration Attempt to Block Order Limiting Transgender Military Ban

Pansexual, Demisexual, Autosexual or Gynosexual, Were you Aware About These New Sexual Orientations?

Sexual orientation and sexual identity are often used in relation to each other and some even confuse between the two. But yes, while sexual orientation decides your sexual identity, it is a lot more about what a person feels about themselves. A sexual orientation is based on the fact to the gender to which they are attracted towards. We commonly hear of sexual orientations like heterosexual, bisexual, homosexual, etc. But that is not all. There is a multitude of new definitions that have been added to the sexual orientations over the years. The society has constructed many such sexualities depending upon a person's choices. Let us look at some of the gender sexualities which have been included over the years.

Pansexual, Demisexual, Autosexual or Gynosexual, Were you Aware About These New Sexual Orientations?

8 Times Imagine Dragons' Dan Reynolds Set the Standard for LGBTQ Allies

In a day and age where LGBTQ people across the world are demanding the acceptance and respect they deserve, there are still many straight celebrities who feel uncomfortable lending their outspoken support to the community. Some stay quiet so as not to upset more conservative audiences, and many more don’t speak up for fear of offending queer people.

Dan Reynolds is not one of those celebrities. The Imagine Dragons frontman has been an ally to the community throughout his entire career, and in recent years has become one of the most outspoken and recognizable straight allies in the entertainment industry.

From hosting benefit concerts for LGBTQ youth to working with and supporting queer artists, Reynolds has shown time and time again that he is willing to go to bat for the LGBTQ community. In honor of Imagine Dragons’ new album Origins -- out today (Nov. 9) -- here are eight times he showed his peers how to be the best kind of straight ally.

8 Times Imagine Dragons' Dan Reynolds Set the Standard for LGBTQ Allies

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: brian, KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:08:14 PM by killersmom »