The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Diamonds in youtube's rough  (Read 36540 times)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
Re: Diamonds in youtube's rough
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2018, 08:43:17 AM »
Three very good questions. I might add one more:

Is it to demand an answer to Why didn't you say Goodbye?

You've hit on the very core of my question, Chuck. Adult Jeroen's expressions, demeanor, and actions are the only clues we have to what motivates him. When he attends Hait's funeral and encounters the ghost of himself (age 13), we know he still has profound feelings for his experience.

But what should he do about it now that this unexpected opportunity (the dog tags) has come up?

~~~fia

If it were me, I would proceed with caution.  Given the circumstances of the relationship, I would look him up, but if there is a family involved now, I would not contact him.

Offline foreverinawe

• Expert
  • An ant, crawling across infinity
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2018, 01:12:02 PM »
If it were me, I would proceed with caution.  Given the circumstances of the relationship, I would look him up, but if there is a family involved now, I would not contact him.
If there were a family I would agree. But there are a lot of years since their separation -- from the end of the war to the 1980 Amsterdam celebration, maybe even more -- 35+.

I guess what I mean to ask is, If there are no intervening relationships to obviate a meeting, would such a meeting likely help Jeroen? He obviously suffered abandonment and rejection in 1945; has time healed these wounds? Would meeting Walt only reopen them?

Unanswerable questions, of course. But how do you/we feel about it?

(I'll tell you how I feel about it, if you tell first  :D )

~~~fia
And why are we shown this trivial detail? Because that truck carries the most important cargo of our puny lives:  love and hope.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2018, 05:50:55 PM »
If it's just to move on, there's no need to contact him.  You're talking about 35 years, if Jeroen hasn't figured out how to do this, he needs to sit down and put some thought behind it to figure it out.

Offline foreverinawe

• Expert
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2018, 06:26:01 PM »
If it's just to move on, there's no need to contact him.  You're talking about 35 years, if Jeroen hasn't figured out how to do this, he needs to sit down and put some thought behind it to figure it out.
Yeah, 35+ years make the whole premise suspicious. I hate to say it, but there are enough inconsistencies in the movie that it really doesn't bear much analyzing.

In the first place, I think Walt really loved Jeroen, and it seems impossible to me that he could have simply abandoned him. When he brought Jeroen home that last night, he started to ask the father to tell Jeroen something "tomorrow", but when the language barrier became too much, Walt stopped. He could easily have called Jeroen back out, and made him understand face-to-face what was happening.

When Jeroen got the roll of film developed he found that only one picture came out. The rest had been overexposed when Walt dropped the film and it came undone. Adult Jeroen asked ghost Jeroen on the ferry why he hadn't sent the picture to Hait. The boy answered that while he knew Hait wanted it, he Jeroen wanted to be done with the whole adventure, so he didn't send it. That was unfathomable bitterness for having been abandoned. And adult Jeroen finally understood how deeply he had been wounded.

I think the dog tags made Jeroen do exactly what you suggested. Here at last was a chance to find Walt. But 35+ years (obviously the Best Years of Their Lives) were too much; nothing could rekindle those feelings that blossomed in such distant soil.

But it was great while it lasted... :)

~~~fia
And why are we shown this trivial detail? Because that truck carries the most important cargo of our puny lives:  love and hope.

Offline foreverinawe

• Expert
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2018, 01:37:24 PM »
A Swiss friend of mine tells me he attempted to watch For a Lost Soldier using the putlockers.com link I posted, but he got a bunch of digital threats instead. He was in Switzerland, of course. His IPS is laposte.net.

That's too bad, and I wonder if other European members of UBF will have the same problem. Putlockers was the only site I found that showed the entire movie. Dailymotion.com offered Part One of the movie, but apparently Part Two (with the sexy scenes) had been taken down.

Drat!

Has anyone had any luck?

~~~fia

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2018, 02:29:47 PM »
I'm getting warnings that it's an unsafe site from the antivirus software and won't let me access it.

I guess I could press on, but I really don't want to chance it.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline foreverinawe

• Expert
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2018, 04:11:32 PM »
I'm getting warnings that it's an unsafe site from the antivirus software and won't let me access it.
I guess I could press on, but I really don't want to chance it.
Oh wow, that explains a lot of things!

I know just from googling putlockers.fm that they are in contempt of various court orders to shutdown. But I read that they have moved from Country A to Country B (and C and D....) to stay out of the reach of the law. So it might well be that the legitimate streaming services have engineered some way to undermine them, until they can finally bring them back to court.

Well, I do know of one alternative. Two, actually, but they both involve paying for the movie. You can purchase the DVD from Amazon (and possibly other places on line). The second is Amazon Prime -- if you are a member, you can watch the movie free (and if you're not a member, you can join, then watch it and a whole lot of other movies free.)

Unfortunately, that will probably end the discussion of this movie. Too bad, I think it is a great film. If anybody should discover some way to view it free, please speak up.

~~~fia

Offline foreverinawe

• Expert
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2018, 06:42:08 AM »
Awkward. I supposed that's what it is, but I can't find any other word to express how I feel about promoting the movie only to find out weeks later that it isn't available for free viewing. I'm sorry.

Might that change sometime in the future? I suppose it could, but who knows? Here are a couple links that give some insight into the movie. If you are curious, you might find them interesting...

For a Lost Soldier ~ Voor een verloren soldaat
The youtube video itself is good, but the comments are wonderful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAv1s_2TmV4

(US) Amazon offers the DVD, but apparently I bought the last one a few weeks ago. At that time the ad said it was the last one, and today it says "Currently unavailable".

But the customer reviews are still there, and they are profound:

https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Soldier-Maarten-Smit/dp/B0000687FH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540038261&sr=8-1&keywords=for+a+lost+soldier+dvd&dpID=51GRT25JBYL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch#customerReviews

Finally, as I write this, eBay has a couple offers:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2499334.m570.l1311.R1.TR10.TRC0.A0.H0.Xfor+a+lo.TRS0&_nkw=for+a+lost+soldier&_sacat=617

~~~fia

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2018, 06:58:53 PM »
Really didn't know where to post this....but....I have just been browsing the old
" Most Overrated  Movie" thread.

Do you think it would be a good idea to start it up again ??
It could be fun !! 
Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.

Offline foreverinawe

• Expert
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2018, 01:48:43 PM »
No, there's no free lunch, but here's a free snack.... :D

https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=6DF_XHeLF-s

~~~fia

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2018, 02:22:43 PM »
Really didn't know where to post this....but....I have just been browsing the old
" Most Overrated  Movie" thread.

Do you think it would be a good idea to start it up again ??
It could be fun !!

I haven't seen that thread! What is your opinion on the matter? I think I am pretty alone with my overrated pick ups.

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2018, 02:23:49 PM »
No, there's no free lunch, but here's a free snack.... :D

https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=6DF_XHeLF-s

~~~fia

I can't watch it, fia, it says no video available.

Offline foreverinawe

• Expert
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2018, 04:17:13 PM »
Sorry, sometimes youtube does NOT give a quick OK link to a freshly uploaded video. What they do give is a link that only the uploader can access. I think that happens if they want to take a second look at the content. That's only happened to me once before, and I sent today's link out without checking it closely. It turned out to be a NOT OK link.

But -- big BUTT -- just in the past few minutes they sent me a new one that appears to be an OK link. Please give this one a try, and let me know if it works -- or doesn't work. Please!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DF_XHeLF-s&t=2s

~~~fia

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2018, 10:48:49 PM »
Hi fia, now it works :)
I will watch it after sending the kids to school.  :-*

Offline foreverinawe

• Expert
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2018, 09:39:25 AM »
Hi fia, now it works :)
I will watch it after sending the kids to school.  :-*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DF_XHeLF-s&t=2s

Did you like it?

It's the whole 92 minute movie in 14 minutes. It took me a week to put it together, after I found out UBF members could not watch it free.

~~~fia

PS Closed captions are built in.  Just click the CC button below the movie screen. The number of times youtube misspells "Jeroen" is hilarious.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 09:47:43 AM by foreverinawe »