The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Diner - Volume 38  (Read 40017 times)

Offline brian

• Obsessed
Re: The Diner - Volume 38
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2018, 10:19:52 PM »
When I went to school (an awful long time ago) children were streamed when leaving primary (elementary) school. The lowest ability went to technical schools which only went to age 15 (then the school leaving age). Many boys then went and did a trade course at Technical Colleges, girls went and learnt shorthand/typing. By the time I started teaching, technical schools were being phased out or converted to full Comprehensive High schools. As time progressed students had to finish High school before starting to learn a trade and the Technical Colleges were renamed Colleges of Technical and Further Education.
When I decided to retrain as a librarian, at first I was not admitted to university and for one year I began the TAFE course which leads to an Associate Diploma in Librarianship. As I had a BA, they exempted me from the classes in Government and English. I was teaching High School Geography to adults at the same college during the day.
The next year I was accepted into the University post graduate Diploma in Library and Information Studies. I was given the job of teaching Government to the Associate Diploma students. Some had been with me  in my cataloging etc class the year before and were very confused when I arrived in the room as the teacher. ;D
Later I had women with Associate diplomas working with me as the Teacher-Librarian in schools. I was glad I had done some of the more practical courses before starting the more theoretical university course. However I never covered books although I had learnt.
Today my first Christmas card for the year came from a woman who, with an Associate Diploma, worked with me for 7 years.

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2018, 10:37:08 PM »
Oh, new Diner! Hello!

Hi Brian! I am curious, your school year, does it go from Januar to December? Do you have long holidays in January/February?

Offline brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2018, 10:42:50 PM »
Oh, new Diner! Hello!

Hi Brian! I am curious, your school year, does it go from Januar to December? Do you have long holidays in January/February?
Yes. Schools are breaking up now, Secondary schools have already finished. Will return at the end of January.
We have 4 terms with holidays (about 2 weeks) in April, June and September then long holidays (about 5 weeks) in December-January.

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2018, 10:50:57 PM »
It's interesting what you write about children being streamed, there was not such thing in Spain as I was at school, not compulsory, anyway. We went all together until we finished primary school, age 14/15. Then we went to high school,  last school year was supposed to be a "getting fit for university" year.
Now, in Saxony, the German Bundesland I live in, children are separated afteer the fourth grade! Age 10 they already get filtered, intelligent enough / not intelligent enough. I find it's awful soon. They leave primary school and already go to high school. I remember bringing my girl to high school on her first day, as she was 10 years old, and seeing the older boys, 18, 19 years old smoking and chatting in front of the school, and thinking, am I supposed to leave my baby here!?
There are many, many voices claiming against this separation, it can be so hurtful and humiliating for such young kids to be told that they are too dumb for studying. And I agree, the school system in Saxony is terrible, filtering and excluding all children that somehow don't fit the norm and sending them to "special" schools. Can you believe that if a child is diabetic they can't go to "normal" school?

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2018, 12:12:28 AM »
G'day Linda !

I hope you and Lilia are having a better time of it.

Yes it was a much better day today.
I actually have the day off tomorrow. Well from taking care of Lilia, but have a huge amount of running around to do, so not so much of a day off.
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2018, 01:15:44 AM »

Bonjour!

It's very cold, sunny and dry. I like it.
WISE UP

Ing KräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2018, 01:16:02 AM »

My night was much better, though still not painless.
WISE UP

Ing KräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2018, 01:17:26 AM »
WISE UP

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2018, 01:17:45 AM »
Good night Ingster!
Welcome to the new diner, Ingy, Michelle, Tony & Debs!

Merci & nightynight, Chuckster.
WISE UP

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2018, 01:18:17 AM »
YUM! This does sound good!!

But only in America. Elsewhere it doesn't taste the same.
WISE UP

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2018, 01:18:35 AM »
Nighty Ingy. Sorry I missed you. I lay down with Lilia to get her to go to sleep, and she did. I did not.

Sorry too.

Nighty Lita.
WISE UP

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2018, 01:18:57 AM »
I am going to have some bacon and eggs like Ingy suggested.

This makes me glad.
WISE UP

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2018, 01:19:24 AM »
Bonne nuit sans douleur, Ingy.

Merci, Michelle.

Bonne nuit à toi aussi.
WISE UP

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2018, 01:20:04 AM »
I had mailed the last of my Christmas cards yesterday, or so I thought.  Apparently one card remained on the seat and I didn't see it.  I got into the car today, looked at the seat, saw the card, and said "Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

This made me smile. I know the feeling.
WISE UP

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2018, 01:35:52 AM »
Good morning, dear new Diner!
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Call Me by Your Name, André Aciman.