The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet January - April 2019  (Read 123 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
The Daily Sheet January - April 2019
« on: January 07, 2019, 08:38:36 PM »

Tuesday, January 8th, 2019

The Dryden Ensemble Presents:  Queen Christina Goes To Rome

The Dryden Ensemble presents "Queen Christina Goes to Rome," a dramatic retelling of the story of the unconventional Swedish queen on Saturday, January 19 at 7:30 p.m. at Trinity Episcopal Church, 6587 Upper York Road, Solebury, Pennsylvania, and on Sunday, January 20 at 3:00 p.m. at Miller Chapel, located on the campus of Princeton Theological Seminary, 64 Mercer Street, Princeton, New Jersey.

Queen Christina, one of the most learned women of the 17th century and a great patron of the arts, abdicated at the age of 28, giving up her throne for a life of music, art, and religion in Rome. The concert features Roberta Maxwell as Queen Christina and Paul Hecht as narrator in dramatic readings from the letters and diaries of Queen Christina of Sweden and other historical figures, including the French philosopher Descartes.

Known to Princeton audiences for the role of Edna in Edward Albee's A Delicate Balance at McCarter Theatre in 2013, Ms. Maxwell has performed at Classic Stage in NY, on Broadway, and Off-Broadway.  Her credits include national tours of Lettuce and Lovage, the Stratford Shakespeare Festival, Tyrone Guthrie Centre, the Old Globe Theatre, and others. She has also performed for television and in movies, including Popeye, Psycho III. Philadelphia, Dead Man Walking, and Brokeback Mountain.

The Dryden Ensemble Presents:  Queen Christina Goes To Rome

Impersonator Tries to Link LGBTQ Community to Pedophilia

Around Christmas Day, Karl Krause and Daan Colijn started receiving emails from their fans, telling them their pictures were being used to promote pedophilia in several viral posts on Twitter.  “They were outraged emails,” Krause said. “They were saying: ‘How can that be? You are not pro-pedophilia. I know that.’” 

Krause and Colijn are gay travel bloggers who tell their followers of gay-friendly and LGBTQ-owned businesses and communities throughout the world. They had no idea their faces were being used to promote an idea they found abhorrent.  One of their pictures, which features Krause and Colijn kissing in front of a rainbow flag, had been stolen by a Twitter troll who went by the name “Alex,” an account that was created in December. The account then tweeted messages promoting pedophilia.

“It’s frustrating to see someone misusing our image for political purposes — basically supporting an argument against the LGBTQ community with our work,” Krause said.  The account successfully spread across Twitter the deliberately defamatory idea that pedophilia is an acceptable part of LGBTQ life. Over the last half-decade, that concept has become a staple of far-right internet trolls on websites like the fringe message board 4chan, and the troll’s message quickly gained internet traction.

Impersonator Tries to Link LGBTQ Community to Pedophilia

The Lesbian Batwoman Is Officially Coming to Television

CW is expanding their DC superhero universe with the addition of a new title. According to Deadline, the network has given a pilot order to Batwoman, starring Ruby Rose (Orange is the New Black).

The iconic superhero (not to be confused with Alicia Silverstone as Batgirl in the 1997 film, Batman & Robin) was introduced in the Arrow-verse crossover event earlier in 2018. Rose starred in the crossover as Kate Kane, an outspoken streetfighter with a penchant for social justice. But, as she battles Gotham’s criminal underbelly, she still finds herself plagued with her own personal demons.

LGBTQ+ fans were particularly rooting for this spin-off, as this iteration of Batwoman will be the first gay lead character of a live-action superhero series, one facet of the heroine that stayed true to past comic book depictions. The crossover event gave us a flirtatious moment between her and Supergirl, a relationship we have to ship. Helmed by Greg Berlanti’s Berlanti Productions, this show will further the franchise’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, having recently introduced a black lesbian superhero in Black Lightning.

The Lesbian Batwoman Is Officially Coming to Television

Bisexual Senator Took Her Oath on the US Constitution, Administered by Mike Pence

Last week, incoming Senator Kyrsten Sinema [D-AZ] was sworn in by Mike Pence, in his aspect as President of the Senate, choosing to take her oath on a book containing both the Constitutions of the United States of America and Arizona, a tome repeating the framers' prohibition on the US government's establishment a state religion or discrimination on the basis of faith or lack thereof.

Sinema is the first openly bisexual person elected to the Senate. Pence is a notorious homophobe, bigot and Dominionist who has espoused the traitorous idea that America should have a state religion in the form of a puritanical, heretical Christianity that denies the message of Christ: a refugee and illegal immigrant who believed that the rich should have their wealth forcibly expropriated and given to the poor. Pence is also notorious for refusing to socialize with women.

Throughout her campaign, Sinema teased the idea that she might be an atheist, and is the only member of either US legislature to list herself as "religiously unaffiliated."

Bisexual Senator Took Her Oath on the US Constitution, Administered by Mike Pence

Rep. Wexton Displays Transgender Flag Outside Capitol Hill Office

Walking the halls of Congress in recent weeks, Rep. Jennifer Wexton (D-Va.) noticed that in addition to flags honoring the U.S. and their home states, many members displayed a third one outside their offices.

Some waved the rainbow gay pride banner; others the solemn black and white flag of prisoners of war.  Wexton, the newly elected congresswoman representing Northern Virginia’s 10th District, decided to pay tribute to the transgender community by flying the transgender pride flag.

“Given that that community has been under attack and for me it’s personal, it was kind of an easy call to raise awareness and show my solidarity,” she said in a phone interview Friday.  Wexton said her transgender niece, 19, and the teen’s mother were touched by the gesture.  The newly sworn-in congresswoman is also close to Virginia Del. Danica Roem (D-Prince William), one of the nation’s first openly transgender elected officials.

Rep. Wexton Displays Transgender Flag Outside Capitol Hill Office

New York City Adds Gender-Neutral Option to Birth Certificates

New York City now offers a gender-neutral option on birth certificates for residents who don't identify as male or female.  It's called "X."   As of this week, adults over 18 can alter their birth certificates to "X" so long as they attest via a form that the change "is to reflect my true gender identity."  New York Mayor Bill de Blasio signed the move into law Tuesday, ABC reported.

"To all trans and nonbinary New Yorkers: We see you, hear you and respect you," the mayor said last week on Twitter. "Starting in 2019, all New Yorkers will be able to change their gender on their birth certificate to M, F or X – without a doctor's note."

Before 2014, New York City let people alter their gender on a birth certificate only after gender reassignment surgery. After that, a doctor's note was required.  Now parents can choose "X" for their children, and adults can select the marker for themselves as long as they attest the change is "not for any fraudulent purpose," the form states.

She'll Be Your Mom at Your Wedding

Four years ago, when Sara Cunningham came home from a pride festival in Oklahoma City, she was covered head to toe in glitter. She had spent the day offering free mom hugs or high-fives ("Not everybody's a hugger," she says) to passersby, and the love and joy she felt was palpable.

Unfortunately, so was something else.

"That day, I went home with real horror stories," she says. "I was broken from hearing from the community -- kids who had been living out of their cars, kids who had been kicked out of their churches or homes for just for identifying as LGBT."  Cunningham's son is gay, and her experience at that festival led her and other ally mothers to form what is now "Free Mom Hugs," a nonprofit organization that offers mother-like support to LGBT youth. In July 2018, that spark of support and celebration became a flame. Cunningham, frustrated with continued stories of parents rejecting their gay children, sometimes during the most important times in their lives, wrote a simple Facebook post.

"PSA. If you need a mom to attend your same sex wedding because your biological mom won't."Call me. I'm there. I'll be your biggest fan. I'll even bring the bubbles." In a matter of days, the post went wildly viral. Cunningham knows exactly why.

She'll Be Your Mom at Your Wedding

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://www.ultimatebrokebackforum.com.

Today's edition by KillersMom, CellarDweller115

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to CellarDweller115.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
Re: The Daily Sheet January - April 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 06:38:51 PM »

Tuesday, January 15th, 2019

Kate Mara is Expecting Her First Child

Kate Mara is reportedly pregnant with her first child.  Entertainment Tonight confirmed the 35-year-old actress is expecting with her husband and "Fantastic Four" co-star, actor Jamie Bell.  Page Six said Mara shared the news with friend and actress Emily Blunt at the Golden Globe Awards on Sunday.  Sources said Mara told Blunt she and Bell are thrilled to be expecting.

Us Weekly said Mara walked the red carpet with Bell, who is already parent to 5-year-old son Jack with ex-wife and "Westworld" star Evan Rachel Wood.  "I come from a really, really big family and I've had kids around me my entire life," Mara previously told Us Weekly of being a stepmom to Jack.  "Family is everything to me and I like being surrounded by lots of kids and family at all times," she said.

Mara and Bell met on the set of the 2015 remake of "Fantastic Four" and married in July 2017. Mara said in the May issue of Shape that she's "protective" of her relationship with Bell.

Kate Mara is Expecting Her First Child

Rapper Shot to Death in Puerto Rico at 24

Rapper and LGBT activist Kevin Fret was shot to death Thursday as he rode a motorbike in Puerto Rico, CNN affiliate Noticentro.tv reported.  The 24-year-old Puerto Rican was renowned as the first openly gay artist in the Latin trap genre. Novicentro.tv reported local police as saying he was killed as he rode through the capital, San Juan.  Fret's death is part of a wave of violence affecting the island of an estimated 3.3 million people, the broadcaster said, with 24 murders so far this year.

Fret was killed in the Santurce neighborhood of San Juan around 5.20 am, it said.  The artist regularly addressed fans through his Facebook page and was outspoken on issues affecting the LGBT community. His most recent video, Soy Así, has more than 700,000 views on YouTube.

Defined as a sub-genre of Spanish-language hip hop, Latin trap has become a hugely popular musical genre in Latin America, the US and Spain. It has come in for criticism from some quarters for its misogynistic and macho attitudes.  Fret had previously complained of abuse and harassment that he claimed were due to his sexuality.  In the aftermath of his death, the Puerto Rico Trans Youth Coalition said in a Facebook post that Fret's murder "could be described as a hate crime."

Rapper Shot to Death in Puerto Rico at 24

Public Support for Lesbian Novelist Radclyffe Hall

Radclyffe Hall’s 1928 novel The Well of Loneliness was subjected to a vicious campaign of attack led by the Sunday Express for its depiction of lesbian relationships, eventually being suppressed and censored in the UK as a piece of “obscene libel”. But the author’s own papers, which are set to be digitized, reveal the outpouring of support Hall received from members of the public around the world, who wrote to thank her for creating, in her heroine Stephen Gordon, a character with whom they could identify.

Seen today as a seminal work of gay literature, The Well of Loneliness tells of the “invert” Stephen Gordon, who realizes from a young age that she is attracted to women, dresses in masculine clothes, and falls in love. Hall, a lesbian herself, wrote it to “put my pen at the service of some of the most misunderstood people in the world”. At its raciest, it goes no further than “she kissed her full on the lips, as a lover”, with a night of passion described as “that night they were not divided”. It ends with Stephen’s plea: “Give us also the right to our existence!”

Sunday Express editor James Douglas led a campaign against the novel, writing in his paper: “In order to prevent the contamination and corruption of English fiction it is the duty of the critic to make it impossible for any other novelist to repeat this outrage. I say deliberately that this novel is not fit to be sold by any bookseller or to be borrowed from any library.” Despite support from writers including Virginia Woolf and EM Forster, it was banned in the UK until 1949, after Hall’s death. But newly revealed papers from the author’s archive, which are set to be digitized by the Harry Ransom Center at the University of Texas alongside those of her partner, the artist Una Vincenzo, Lady Troubridge, show that the novel was also supported by thousands of readers, who wrote to Hall in outrage at the ban.

Public Support for Lesbian Novelist Radclyffe Hall

Addressing the Unique Mental Health Challenges of Bisexual Veterans

New research indicates that service members and veterans who identify as bisexual may be at higher risk for mental health issues including PTSD and depression than their gay, lesbian or heterosexual peers.

Katie McNamara, a U.S. Air Force captain and third-year doctoral student at the USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work, has always been an activist and advocate for the LGBT community—but her current focus on the mental health of bisexual veterans arose from a perceived gap in existing research: "there's quite a bit of research on military and veteran mental health and LGBT health, but very little that combines the two. And before this project, there was absolutely nothing specifically focusing on the sexual minority subgroup of bisexual military-affiliated individuals," she said.

After earning sponsorship from the Air Force to pursue her Ph.D. in social work, she chose USC because of the "groundbreaking research on military-specific LGBT issues being conducted here." For her recent research on LGBT inclusion and retention in the military, as well as the health, social and psychological issues faced by subpopulations of the community, McNamara teamed up with professors Jeremy Goldbach, Sara Kintzle and Carl Castro of the USC Military and Veterans Programs, as well as Air Force clinical social worker Carrie Lucas, Ph.D. The results of the study shed light on the mental health challenges faced by bisexual veterans, as well as the initial steps that can be taken to bridge this gap.

Addressing the Unique Mental Health Challenges of Bisexual Veterans

2 North Carolina Women Assault Transgender Woman in Bar

Two women were arrested this week and charged in the sexual assault of a transgender woman at a bar in Raleigh, N.C.  The transgender woman, whose name has not been released, told the police that she had been assaulted on Dec. 9 at Milk Bar, a popular spot downtown. The details of the episode — which included verbal harassment and groping — were relayed in a 911 call she made the next day that was recently made public by the Raleigh Police Department.

The incident led to the arrest of two women, Amber N. Harrell, 38, and Jessica L. Fowler, 31, both of Raleigh, who face charges of second-degree kidnapping and sexual battery.  It began when the transgender woman entered the bathroom to check her hair and makeup, she said on the 911 call, and encountered two women who began taunting her.

They asked if she had a penis, she said. Then one of the women pulled up her shirt, exposed herself and asked, “Do you want to see my boobs?”  “The other girl starts playing with the wig I’m wearing,” the caller said. She said she told them to stop.

2 North Carolina Women Assault Transgender Woman in Bar

New York City now offers a gender-neutral option on birth certificates for residents who don't identify as male or female.  It's called "X."   As of this week, adults over 18 can alter their birth certificates to "X" so long as they attest via a form that the change "is to reflect my true gender identity."  New York Mayor Bill de Blasio signed the move into law Tuesday, ABC reported.

"To all trans and nonbinary New Yorkers: We see you, hear you and respect you," the mayor said last week on Twitter. "Starting in 2019, all New Yorkers will be able to change their gender on their birth certificate to M, F or X – without a doctor's note."

Before 2014, New York City let people alter their gender on a birth certificate only after gender reassignment surgery. After that, a doctor's note was required.  Now parents can choose "X" for their children, and adults can select the marker for themselves as long as they attest the change is "not for any fraudulent purpose," the form states.

Support for LGBT Ally Cupcakke

Elizabeth Eden Harris is a 21-year-old rapper, known by fans as Cupcakke.  Last March, the Chicago native played a sold out show in Dublin’s Button Factory, a couple of months after she went viral for helping a vulnerable teenager on Twitter avoid homelessness.

Cupcakke is well known for her positive attitude and her eagerness to help others – her most recent album featured a song A.U.T.I.S.M. (A Unique Strong Thinking Individual Strongly Matters) which was released in the hopes of empowering her fans with autism, and she has proven herself to be a massive ally to the LGBT community. As soon as she began to make money from her music career, she donated the money right back into the Chicago homeless shelters she lived in as a young child.

Fans were left seriously concerned in the early hours of Monday morning when Cupcakke began posting some worrying tweets. The 21-year-old told Twitter followers that she was planning on taking her own life, and took to Instagram to write, “Thank you for everything y’all have done for me, I really appreciate it.”

Friends and fans of the rapper raised the alarm with police in Chicago immediately, who dispatched officers to Cupcakke’s home to do a wellness check. Comedian Elijah Daniel kept in touch with the police and updated Cupcakke’s fans on the situation as it unfolded, eventually tweeting: “UPDATE: Chicago Police got to Elizabeth’s place and she has been taken to a hospital. I don’t have any further information beyond that, but will update when I do.” 

Support for LGBT Ally Cupcakke

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://www.ultimatebrokebackforum.com.

Today's edition by KillersMom, CellarDweller115

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to CellarDweller115.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 06:47:51 PM by CellarDweller115 »