The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet January - April 2019  (Read 565 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
The Daily Sheet January - April 2019
« on: January 07, 2019, 08:38:36 PM »

Tuesday, January 8th, 2019

The Dryden Ensemble Presents:  Queen Christina Goes To Rome

The Dryden Ensemble presents "Queen Christina Goes to Rome," a dramatic retelling of the story of the unconventional Swedish queen on Saturday, January 19 at 7:30 p.m. at Trinity Episcopal Church, 6587 Upper York Road, Solebury, Pennsylvania, and on Sunday, January 20 at 3:00 p.m. at Miller Chapel, located on the campus of Princeton Theological Seminary, 64 Mercer Street, Princeton, New Jersey.

Queen Christina, one of the most learned women of the 17th century and a great patron of the arts, abdicated at the age of 28, giving up her throne for a life of music, art, and religion in Rome. The concert features Roberta Maxwell as Queen Christina and Paul Hecht as narrator in dramatic readings from the letters and diaries of Queen Christina of Sweden and other historical figures, including the French philosopher Descartes.

Known to Princeton audiences for the role of Edna in Edward Albee's A Delicate Balance at McCarter Theatre in 2013, Ms. Maxwell has performed at Classic Stage in NY, on Broadway, and Off-Broadway.  Her credits include national tours of Lettuce and Lovage, the Stratford Shakespeare Festival, Tyrone Guthrie Centre, the Old Globe Theatre, and others. She has also performed for television and in movies, including Popeye, Psycho III. Philadelphia, Dead Man Walking, and Brokeback Mountain.

The Dryden Ensemble Presents:  Queen Christina Goes To Rome

Impersonator Tries to Link LGBTQ Community to Pedophilia

Around Christmas Day, Karl Krause and Daan Colijn started receiving emails from their fans, telling them their pictures were being used to promote pedophilia in several viral posts on Twitter.  “They were outraged emails,” Krause said. “They were saying: ‘How can that be? You are not pro-pedophilia. I know that.’” 

Krause and Colijn are gay travel bloggers who tell their followers of gay-friendly and LGBTQ-owned businesses and communities throughout the world. They had no idea their faces were being used to promote an idea they found abhorrent.  One of their pictures, which features Krause and Colijn kissing in front of a rainbow flag, had been stolen by a Twitter troll who went by the name “Alex,” an account that was created in December. The account then tweeted messages promoting pedophilia.

“It’s frustrating to see someone misusing our image for political purposes — basically supporting an argument against the LGBTQ community with our work,” Krause said.  The account successfully spread across Twitter the deliberately defamatory idea that pedophilia is an acceptable part of LGBTQ life. Over the last half-decade, that concept has become a staple of far-right internet trolls on websites like the fringe message board 4chan, and the troll’s message quickly gained internet traction.

Impersonator Tries to Link LGBTQ Community to Pedophilia

The Lesbian Batwoman Is Officially Coming to Television

CW is expanding their DC superhero universe with the addition of a new title. According to Deadline, the network has given a pilot order to Batwoman, starring Ruby Rose (Orange is the New Black).

The iconic superhero (not to be confused with Alicia Silverstone as Batgirl in the 1997 film, Batman & Robin) was introduced in the Arrow-verse crossover event earlier in 2018. Rose starred in the crossover as Kate Kane, an outspoken streetfighter with a penchant for social justice. But, as she battles Gotham’s criminal underbelly, she still finds herself plagued with her own personal demons.

LGBTQ+ fans were particularly rooting for this spin-off, as this iteration of Batwoman will be the first gay lead character of a live-action superhero series, one facet of the heroine that stayed true to past comic book depictions. The crossover event gave us a flirtatious moment between her and Supergirl, a relationship we have to ship. Helmed by Greg Berlanti’s Berlanti Productions, this show will further the franchise’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, having recently introduced a black lesbian superhero in Black Lightning.

The Lesbian Batwoman Is Officially Coming to Television

Bisexual Senator Took Her Oath on the US Constitution, Administered by Mike Pence

Last week, incoming Senator Kyrsten Sinema [D-AZ] was sworn in by Mike Pence, in his aspect as President of the Senate, choosing to take her oath on a book containing both the Constitutions of the United States of America and Arizona, a tome repeating the framers' prohibition on the US government's establishment a state religion or discrimination on the basis of faith or lack thereof.

Sinema is the first openly bisexual person elected to the Senate. Pence is a notorious homophobe, bigot and Dominionist who has espoused the traitorous idea that America should have a state religion in the form of a puritanical, heretical Christianity that denies the message of Christ: a refugee and illegal immigrant who believed that the rich should have their wealth forcibly expropriated and given to the poor. Pence is also notorious for refusing to socialize with women.

Throughout her campaign, Sinema teased the idea that she might be an atheist, and is the only member of either US legislature to list herself as "religiously unaffiliated."

Bisexual Senator Took Her Oath on the US Constitution, Administered by Mike Pence

Rep. Wexton Displays Transgender Flag Outside Capitol Hill Office

Walking the halls of Congress in recent weeks, Rep. Jennifer Wexton (D-Va.) noticed that in addition to flags honoring the U.S. and their home states, many members displayed a third one outside their offices.

Some waved the rainbow gay pride banner; others the solemn black and white flag of prisoners of war.  Wexton, the newly elected congresswoman representing Northern Virginia’s 10th District, decided to pay tribute to the transgender community by flying the transgender pride flag.

“Given that that community has been under attack and for me it’s personal, it was kind of an easy call to raise awareness and show my solidarity,” she said in a phone interview Friday.  Wexton said her transgender niece, 19, and the teen’s mother were touched by the gesture.  The newly sworn-in congresswoman is also close to Virginia Del. Danica Roem (D-Prince William), one of the nation’s first openly transgender elected officials.

Rep. Wexton Displays Transgender Flag Outside Capitol Hill Office

New York City Adds Gender-Neutral Option to Birth Certificates

New York City now offers a gender-neutral option on birth certificates for residents who don't identify as male or female.  It's called "X."   As of this week, adults over 18 can alter their birth certificates to "X" so long as they attest via a form that the change "is to reflect my true gender identity."  New York Mayor Bill de Blasio signed the move into law Tuesday, ABC reported.

"To all trans and nonbinary New Yorkers: We see you, hear you and respect you," the mayor said last week on Twitter. "Starting in 2019, all New Yorkers will be able to change their gender on their birth certificate to M, F or X – without a doctor's note."

Before 2014, New York City let people alter their gender on a birth certificate only after gender reassignment surgery. After that, a doctor's note was required.  Now parents can choose "X" for their children, and adults can select the marker for themselves as long as they attest the change is "not for any fraudulent purpose," the form states.

She'll Be Your Mom at Your Wedding

Four years ago, when Sara Cunningham came home from a pride festival in Oklahoma City, she was covered head to toe in glitter. She had spent the day offering free mom hugs or high-fives ("Not everybody's a hugger," she says) to passersby, and the love and joy she felt was palpable.

Unfortunately, so was something else.

"That day, I went home with real horror stories," she says. "I was broken from hearing from the community -- kids who had been living out of their cars, kids who had been kicked out of their churches or homes for just for identifying as LGBT."  Cunningham's son is gay, and her experience at that festival led her and other ally mothers to form what is now "Free Mom Hugs," a nonprofit organization that offers mother-like support to LGBT youth. In July 2018, that spark of support and celebration became a flame. Cunningham, frustrated with continued stories of parents rejecting their gay children, sometimes during the most important times in their lives, wrote a simple Facebook post.

"PSA. If you need a mom to attend your same sex wedding because your biological mom won't."Call me. I'm there. I'll be your biggest fan. I'll even bring the bubbles." In a matter of days, the post went wildly viral. Cunningham knows exactly why.

She'll Be Your Mom at Your Wedding

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://www.ultimatebrokebackforum.com.

Today's edition by KillersMom, CellarDweller115

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to CellarDweller115.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
Re: The Daily Sheet January - April 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 06:38:51 PM »

Tuesday, January 15th, 2019

Kate Mara is Expecting Her First Child

Kate Mara is reportedly pregnant with her first child.  Entertainment Tonight confirmed the 35-year-old actress is expecting with her husband and "Fantastic Four" co-star, actor Jamie Bell.  Page Six said Mara shared the news with friend and actress Emily Blunt at the Golden Globe Awards on Sunday.  Sources said Mara told Blunt she and Bell are thrilled to be expecting.

Us Weekly said Mara walked the red carpet with Bell, who is already parent to 5-year-old son Jack with ex-wife and "Westworld" star Evan Rachel Wood.  "I come from a really, really big family and I've had kids around me my entire life," Mara previously told Us Weekly of being a stepmom to Jack.  "Family is everything to me and I like being surrounded by lots of kids and family at all times," she said.

Mara and Bell met on the set of the 2015 remake of "Fantastic Four" and married in July 2017. Mara said in the May issue of Shape that she's "protective" of her relationship with Bell.

Kate Mara is Expecting Her First Child

Rapper Shot to Death in Puerto Rico at 24

Rapper and LGBT activist Kevin Fret was shot to death Thursday as he rode a motorbike in Puerto Rico, CNN affiliate Noticentro.tv reported.  The 24-year-old Puerto Rican was renowned as the first openly gay artist in the Latin trap genre. Novicentro.tv reported local police as saying he was killed as he rode through the capital, San Juan.  Fret's death is part of a wave of violence affecting the island of an estimated 3.3 million people, the broadcaster said, with 24 murders so far this year.

Fret was killed in the Santurce neighborhood of San Juan around 5.20 am, it said.  The artist regularly addressed fans through his Facebook page and was outspoken on issues affecting the LGBT community. His most recent video, Soy Así, has more than 700,000 views on YouTube.

Defined as a sub-genre of Spanish-language hip hop, Latin trap has become a hugely popular musical genre in Latin America, the US and Spain. It has come in for criticism from some quarters for its misogynistic and macho attitudes.  Fret had previously complained of abuse and harassment that he claimed were due to his sexuality.  In the aftermath of his death, the Puerto Rico Trans Youth Coalition said in a Facebook post that Fret's murder "could be described as a hate crime."

Rapper Shot to Death in Puerto Rico at 24

Public Support for Lesbian Novelist Radclyffe Hall

Radclyffe Hall’s 1928 novel The Well of Loneliness was subjected to a vicious campaign of attack led by the Sunday Express for its depiction of lesbian relationships, eventually being suppressed and censored in the UK as a piece of “obscene libel”. But the author’s own papers, which are set to be digitized, reveal the outpouring of support Hall received from members of the public around the world, who wrote to thank her for creating, in her heroine Stephen Gordon, a character with whom they could identify.

Seen today as a seminal work of gay literature, The Well of Loneliness tells of the “invert” Stephen Gordon, who realizes from a young age that she is attracted to women, dresses in masculine clothes, and falls in love. Hall, a lesbian herself, wrote it to “put my pen at the service of some of the most misunderstood people in the world”. At its raciest, it goes no further than “she kissed her full on the lips, as a lover”, with a night of passion described as “that night they were not divided”. It ends with Stephen’s plea: “Give us also the right to our existence!”

Sunday Express editor James Douglas led a campaign against the novel, writing in his paper: “In order to prevent the contamination and corruption of English fiction it is the duty of the critic to make it impossible for any other novelist to repeat this outrage. I say deliberately that this novel is not fit to be sold by any bookseller or to be borrowed from any library.” Despite support from writers including Virginia Woolf and EM Forster, it was banned in the UK until 1949, after Hall’s death. But newly revealed papers from the author’s archive, which are set to be digitized by the Harry Ransom Center at the University of Texas alongside those of her partner, the artist Una Vincenzo, Lady Troubridge, show that the novel was also supported by thousands of readers, who wrote to Hall in outrage at the ban.

Public Support for Lesbian Novelist Radclyffe Hall

Addressing the Unique Mental Health Challenges of Bisexual Veterans

New research indicates that service members and veterans who identify as bisexual may be at higher risk for mental health issues including PTSD and depression than their gay, lesbian or heterosexual peers.

Katie McNamara, a U.S. Air Force captain and third-year doctoral student at the USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work, has always been an activist and advocate for the LGBT community—but her current focus on the mental health of bisexual veterans arose from a perceived gap in existing research: "there's quite a bit of research on military and veteran mental health and LGBT health, but very little that combines the two. And before this project, there was absolutely nothing specifically focusing on the sexual minority subgroup of bisexual military-affiliated individuals," she said.

After earning sponsorship from the Air Force to pursue her Ph.D. in social work, she chose USC because of the "groundbreaking research on military-specific LGBT issues being conducted here." For her recent research on LGBT inclusion and retention in the military, as well as the health, social and psychological issues faced by subpopulations of the community, McNamara teamed up with professors Jeremy Goldbach, Sara Kintzle and Carl Castro of the USC Military and Veterans Programs, as well as Air Force clinical social worker Carrie Lucas, Ph.D. The results of the study shed light on the mental health challenges faced by bisexual veterans, as well as the initial steps that can be taken to bridge this gap.

Addressing the Unique Mental Health Challenges of Bisexual Veterans

2 North Carolina Women Assault Transgender Woman in Bar

Two women were arrested this week and charged in the sexual assault of a transgender woman at a bar in Raleigh, N.C.  The transgender woman, whose name has not been released, told the police that she had been assaulted on Dec. 9 at Milk Bar, a popular spot downtown. The details of the episode — which included verbal harassment and groping — were relayed in a 911 call she made the next day that was recently made public by the Raleigh Police Department.

The incident led to the arrest of two women, Amber N. Harrell, 38, and Jessica L. Fowler, 31, both of Raleigh, who face charges of second-degree kidnapping and sexual battery.  It began when the transgender woman entered the bathroom to check her hair and makeup, she said on the 911 call, and encountered two women who began taunting her.

They asked if she had a penis, she said. Then one of the women pulled up her shirt, exposed herself and asked, “Do you want to see my boobs?”  “The other girl starts playing with the wig I’m wearing,” the caller said. She said she told them to stop.

2 North Carolina Women Assault Transgender Woman in Bar

New York City now offers a gender-neutral option on birth certificates for residents who don't identify as male or female.  It's called "X."   As of this week, adults over 18 can alter their birth certificates to "X" so long as they attest via a form that the change "is to reflect my true gender identity."  New York Mayor Bill de Blasio signed the move into law Tuesday, ABC reported.

"To all trans and nonbinary New Yorkers: We see you, hear you and respect you," the mayor said last week on Twitter. "Starting in 2019, all New Yorkers will be able to change their gender on their birth certificate to M, F or X – without a doctor's note."

Before 2014, New York City let people alter their gender on a birth certificate only after gender reassignment surgery. After that, a doctor's note was required.  Now parents can choose "X" for their children, and adults can select the marker for themselves as long as they attest the change is "not for any fraudulent purpose," the form states.

Support for LGBT Ally Cupcakke

Elizabeth Eden Harris is a 21-year-old rapper, known by fans as Cupcakke.  Last March, the Chicago native played a sold out show in Dublin’s Button Factory, a couple of months after she went viral for helping a vulnerable teenager on Twitter avoid homelessness.

Cupcakke is well known for her positive attitude and her eagerness to help others – her most recent album featured a song A.U.T.I.S.M. (A Unique Strong Thinking Individual Strongly Matters) which was released in the hopes of empowering her fans with autism, and she has proven herself to be a massive ally to the LGBT community. As soon as she began to make money from her music career, she donated the money right back into the Chicago homeless shelters she lived in as a young child.

Fans were left seriously concerned in the early hours of Monday morning when Cupcakke began posting some worrying tweets. The 21-year-old told Twitter followers that she was planning on taking her own life, and took to Instagram to write, “Thank you for everything y’all have done for me, I really appreciate it.”

Friends and fans of the rapper raised the alarm with police in Chicago immediately, who dispatched officers to Cupcakke’s home to do a wellness check. Comedian Elijah Daniel kept in touch with the police and updated Cupcakke’s fans on the situation as it unfolded, eventually tweeting: “UPDATE: Chicago Police got to Elizabeth’s place and she has been taken to a hospital. I don’t have any further information beyond that, but will update when I do.” 

Support for LGBT Ally Cupcakke

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://www.ultimatebrokebackforum.com.

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 06:47:51 PM by CellarDweller115 »

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 03:34:02 AM »

Tuesday, January 22nd, 2019

Interview With Roberta Maxwell

Queen Christina of Sweden was a patron of the arts in the 17th century, but her reign did not last long. She abdicated at 28 years old and instead chose a life of art and culture in Rome.  To remember this figure from hundreds of years ago, the Dryden Ensemble will present a special presentation of their new dramatic piece, Queen Christina Goes to Rome, Saturday, Jan. 19 and Sunday, Jan. 20. Starring as the title character will be Roberta Maxwell, who has appeared on Broadway in Equus, Othello, Henry V and The Merchant of Venice, among other shows off-Broadway and at the McCarter Theatre in Princeton, New Jersey.

Paul Hecht will serve as the narrator for the performances, while ensemble will play a variety of unique instruments, including oboe, violin, viola da gamba, lute and harpsichord, all set to the styles that mimic the countries Queen Christina visited on her way from Sweden to Rome. The ensemble consists of Vita Wallace, Dongmyung Ahn, Jane McKinley, Lisa Terry, Daniel Swenberg and Webb Wiggins.  Saturday’s show will take place at 7:30 p.m. at Trinity Episcopal Church in Solebury, Pennsylvania. Sunday’s show is scheduled for 3 p.m. at Miller Chapel, part of Princeton Theological Seminary in Princeton, New Jersey.

Recently Hollywood Soapbox exchanged emails with Maxwell about her upcoming performances. Questions and answers have been slightly edited for style.

Interview With Roberta Maxwell

Egypt Sentences TV Host to Jail For Interviewing Gay Man

An Egyptian court on Sunday sentenced a television host to one year in prison for interviewing a gay man last year, a judicial source said.  Mohamed al-Gheiti, who has expressed his stance against homosexuality on several occasions, was accused of promoting homosexuality and contempt of religion.

The misdemeanors court in Giza also fined him 3,000 Egyptian pounds ($147) and ordered that he be put under surveillance for one year after serving his sentence, said Samir Sabri, the lawyer who brought the case against him.  The verdict can be appealed, and it can be suspended if Gheiti pays bail of 1,000 pounds, pending the outcome of the appeal, said Sabri.

In August 2018, Gheiti hosted a gay man on his talk show on the private LTC TV station, and discussed homosexuality on air.  During the interview, the gay man, whose face was blurred to hide his identity, said he was a sex worker and openly talked about his relationship with another man.  After the interview was aired, the Supreme Council for Media Regulation, Egypt’s top media body, suspended the channel for two weeks for “professional violations.”

Egypt Sentences TV Host to Jail For Interviewing Gay Man

Lesbian Claims Chili’s Denied Her a Promotion

A lesbian server at Chili’s in Phoenix, Ariz., claims she was denied a promotion after her superiors told her she dressed too masculine.  The American Civil Liberties Union has filed a complaint with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission on behalf of Meagan Hunter, who had worked at Chili’s for two years in various capacities, including as a cook, host, and most recently, a server, a position in which she earned rave reviews for customer service.

At the suggestion of her superiors, she attended a seminar to learn more about becoming a certified shift leader, which would allow her to advance her career and earn a raise.

“I was planning to buy a home for the first time, and the pay increase would have helped a lot,” Hunter writes in a blog post for the ACLU of Arizona. “I’m a single mother, so what I earn matters. I’m also a lesbian, a part of my identity that influences how I dress.” But when she attended the seminar wearing a men’s button-up shirt, fitted slacks, and boat shoes, similar to the kind of clothes she’d previously seen male managers wear. But her manager told her his boss, the district manager, thought her clothes were inappropriate.

Lesbian Claims Chili’s Denied Her a Promotion

Embracing Bisexuality With Rosa Diaz

When I decided to binge-watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine this summer, Rosa Diaz quickly became my favourite character.

Diaz is a leather jacket–wearing, motorcycle-driving badass woman. She’s tough, smart and unapologetic. She never hesitates to break things around the office, make fun of her coworkers or even threaten them if they ask about her personal life. With her attitude and her permanent scowl, Diaz is downright intimidating. She’s one of the strongest female characters I’ve ever seen. Nobody dares cross her, and I love it.

It was hilarious and heartwarming to watch her character grow throughout the seasons, even embracing her softer side when she began dating Adrian Pimento in Season 3. When she came out as bisexual to the rest of the characters in Season 5, Episode 10, I was surprised how naturally it came up — and I can’t help but compare her coming-out to my own.

Embracing Bisexuality With Rosa Diaz

Transgender Leader a Star at Massive Indian Festival

In a desert tent guarded by armed police and a thick-set bouncer, Laxmi Narayan Tripathi is blessing a constant stream of pilgrims, who garland her with marigolds and kneel to touch her feet.

Tripathi, a tattooed transgender leader and a former reality TV star, has become an unlikely icon at India’s Kumbh Mela, a huge religious festival being held on the banks of the Ganges river in the city of Prayagraj. Up to 150 million people are expected to attend by the time the festival ends in March.  On Tuesday, her religious movement, called the Kinnar Akhada, became the first transgender group to bathe at the confluence of the holy Ganges and the Yamuna rivers on the first day of the ancient festival, traditionally reserved for reclusive Hindu priests, almost all of whom are men.

“After centuries down the line, it was when the community finally got its due,” Tripathi told Reuters, seated on a pedestal next to her Michael Kors bag, juggling calls on an iPhone.  Many at the festival cheer Tripathi for reclaiming the lost place in Hinduism for India’s “third gender”, known as the hijras, worshipped as demi-gods for thousands of years, but ridiculed and sidelined during British colonial rule.  A law passed in 1871 classed the hijras as “criminals”.

Transgender Leader a Star at Massive Indian Festival

Intersex People Should Not Live in 'Fear of Humiliation'

"Intersex people should not live in fear of humiliation or miss out on going to school", a minister said on Thursday, as Britain launched a consultation on improving services and campaigners called for a ban on unnecessary surgeries on babies.

The equalities office said it wanted to hear from parents who had to register the birth of a baby whose gender was not clear, as well as intersex people's experiences of healthcare, education, the workplace and sports facilities.

"It is concerning to think that people in the UK may be afraid to visit the doctor or feel unable to take part at school because they are not receiving the support they need or deserve," equalities minister Susan Williams said.  "Everyone in this country has a right to an education, healthcare and to go about their daily life without intrusion or fear of humiliation."

Estimates suggest as many as 1.7 percent of babies are born with an indeterminate sex, according to the United Nations.  They often undergo surgery to bring the appearance and function of their genitalia into line with that expected of males or females, which research suggests can lead to psychological damage later in life.

Intersex People Should Not Live in 'Fear of Humiliation'

AIDS Activist, LGBT Ally William Beale Dies at 77

William H. Beale Jr., a D.C. resident who in the early 1990s became an outspoken advocate for AIDS education and LGBT rights after his gay son died of AIDS and whose LGBT friends describe as a dedicated straight ally, died Jan. 3 at the D.C. Veteran’s Hospital.  His daughter, Keya Beale, said in a social media posting he was 77 years old and died of complications associated with pneumonia and a chronic heart condition.

Courtney Williams, editor and publisher of an online newsletter that covers the D.C. African-American LGBT community, said Beale and his family in 1992 created the Dwayne S. Brown Foundation as a tribute to their late son who died of AIDS.

“The foundation’s mission was to break the mold of silence in the African American Community in which some families of people with AIDS lived,” Williams said in a statement. “Dwayne’s mother appeared on posters and in a video, hoping to persuade people to stop hating men like her son,” Williams said. “Mr. Beale talked to caregivers and youth about using condoms to protect themselves from the virus.”

Beale became the president and CEO of the nonprofit foundation, according to Williams. 

AIDS Activist, LGBT Ally William Beale Dies at 77

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 03:45:15 PM »

Tuesday, February 5th, 2019

Annie Proulx on the Best Books to Understand Climate Change

Climate change is the catch-all term for the shift in world-wide weather phenomena associated with an increase in global average temperatures. It's real and temperatures have been going up around the world for many decades.

Author Annie Proulx shares her favorite books to help us cope with how our world is changing – and inspire everyone to do something about it

Today we live with non-stop special events of fire, flood, mud slide, rising water, whirling hurricanes, toxic algae blooms, unprecedented droughts. That word “unprecedented” is coming to define our time. Most of us were short-changed by educations that ignored ecology. We need clear explanations of climate change, what it means and how to cope with it.

Annie Proulx on the Best Books to Understand Climate Change

‘Prince & Knight’ Puts A Gay-Inclusive Twist On Traditional Fairy Tales

In Daniel Haack’s new picture book, a handsome prince’s search for happily ever after ends, as many fairy tales do, with a wedding. In this case, however, the prince’s heart isn’t won over by a beautiful maiden, but rather a knight in shining armor.  Haack, who resides in Los Angeles, said an overall lack of LGBTQ representation in children’s media inspired him to write Prince & Knight, released May 1. The book features stunning, full-color illustrations by Stevie Lewis that depict the prince’s stuggles in finding a bride, a battle with a ferocious, fire-breathing dragon and, finally, true love’s kiss. 

“Kids deserve to see their own lives and their families represented,” the first-time author, head of marketing and communications at JibJab for the children’s educational media brand StoryBots, told HuffPost. “I thought it’d be cool to take these classic fairy tale tropes of Prince Charming and the knight in shining armor and tell a story in which not only do they save the day, but they find true love in each other, too.”

‘Prince & Knight’ Puts A Gay-Inclusive Twist On Traditional Fairy Tales

Showtime Orders Sequel to Lesbian Series 'The L Word'

Showtime has given a series order to its long-awaited sequel to "The L Word."  Showtime confirmed the order Thursday morning during its portion of the Television Critics Association press tour in Pasadena, California. The series is headed into production this summer for debut by the end of this year.

Marja-Lewis Ryan will serve as showrunner and executive producer of the series alongside "L Word" creator Ilene Chaiken and original series stars Jennifer Beals, Katherine Moennig and Leisha Hailey. The drama that revolved around a group of LGBTQ women living on the Westside of Los Angeles ran for six seasons on Showtime from 2004 to 2009. Beals, Moennig and Hailey will reprise their roles for the new season.

"Marja has brought her unique and contemporary vision to 'The L Word' and blended it beautifully into the fabric of Ilene's groundbreaking series," said Gary Levine, Showtime's co-president of entertainment. "This revered show was both entertaining and impactful when it originally ran on Showtime, and we are confident that our new version will do that and more in 2019."

Showtime Orders Sequel to Lesbian Series 'The L Word'

What People Get Wrong About Bisexuality

The B in LGBTQ+ has long been invisible, erased, and maligned, both within the queer community and outside of it. People who identify as bisexual experience attraction to or have had sexual contact with people of more than one gender. However, misconceptions about bisexuals abound, from the ‘they’re just confused’ statements, to the idea that they’d be more likely to cheat on a partner, and the overarching argument that bisexual people don’t actually exist at all — they’re either gay, straight, or lying.

The consequences of these assumptions have a real, quantifiable impact on the mental and physical wellbeing of bi folks. A brief from the Human Rights Campaign showed that bi people face “minority stress,” commonly experienced by stigmatized groups, and have a higher risk of self-harm and attempted suicide than their gay, lesbian, or heterosexual counterparts. The stigma around being bisexual often stops people from coming out, seeking help, and exploring their sexuality. So, let’s parse through what these misconceptions really are, and what we’re getting wrong about bisexuality.

What People Get Wrong About Bisexuality

Jazz Finally Undergoes Gender Confirmation Surgery

Season 5 of TLC's "I Am Jazz" has already brought us along on some huge milestones of Jazz Jennings' life; however, Tuesday's episode brought the biggest moment so far.  The fifth episode of this season delved into Jazz's gender confirmation surgery, a huge event for the transgender teen.

The episode kicks off with a quick recap of the Jennings family traveling to New York for Jazz's surgery and the possible complications. With a viewer discretion at the opening of the episode, audiences are back in the hospital in the middle of the teen's procedure.

Jazz's particular case is difficult for doctors since she had started hormone blockers before puberty.  Due to her lack of testosterone, the teen did not have enough penial skin to create a vagina.  While the surgery was going well, doctors had to extend Jazz's incisions to create more skin grafts, since there wasn't enough material.

"The surgery is absolutely groundbreaking," Dr. Marci Bowers noted.

Jazz Finally Undergoes Gender Confirmation Surgery

Asexual Man Is Living With A Couple And 'Co-Parenting' Their Baby

A man who has not had sex in almost a decade has moved in with a couple to help raise their daughter.

David Jay is asexual and though he has had sex a few times, he has abstained from intercourse for the past eight years.  But now the software developer has started a relationship with a couple, Zeke Hausfather and Avary Kent, and is in the process of adopting their 18-month-old daughter to become her 'co-parent'.  The 36-year-old lives with Zeke, also 36, a climate scientist, and Avary, 34, the director of a not-for-profit, with their daughter in San Francisco, California.

David said: "She calls Zeke 'Daddy' and me 'Dadda'. I never thought I'd be able to form a family as an asexual, so I'm overjoyed to be a father with my co-parents."  Avary added: "We are most of the way through the adoption process and David will legally be her father."

David said he realized he was asexual when he was just 13 years old.  "At first I assumed I was a late bloomer or there was something wrong with me," he continued.  "I thought I was sexually repressed or sexually traumatized and that I was going to be alone forever and no one would want to be in a relationship with me."

Asexual Man Is Living With A Couple And 'Co-Parenting' Their Baby

LGBT Ally Cory Booker Running for President in 2020

Democratic Senator Cory Booker, a strong advocate of LGBT+ rights, has announced a run to take on Donald Trump in the 2020 Presidential election.  The Senator from New Jersey announced on Friday (February 1) that he is running for President, putting his name in contention for the Democratic nomination.

Booker launched his campaign in a video, saying: “In America we have a common pain, but what we’re lacking is a sense of common purpose.  I grew up knowing the only way we can only make change is when people come together.”

The campaign launch video features brief clips of a Pride parade, in addition to civil rights protests.  Cory Booker has a strong LGBT+ rights record, a long-time LGBT+ rights supporter, Cory Booker first made his name as the Mayor of Newark, New Jersey, first elected in 2006.

As Mayor, Booker would go on to make history by conducting New Jersey’s first same-sex marriage ceremonies, in October 2013.

LGBT Ally Cory Booker Running for President in 2020

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: gwyllion, KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 03:03:42 PM by CellarDweller115 »
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 04:03:46 PM »

Tuesday, February 12th, 2019

From Columbine to Parkland: How We Got the Story Wrong on Mass Shootings

After Columbine, Dave Cullen swore he would never write about a mass shooting again. But over the next 20 years, he realized that he and other journalists had a duty to destroy the deadly myths they had helped create

As I drove down Highway 6 toward the Rocky Mountains on 20 April 1999, hoping to find this high school I had never heard of in Columbine, where shots had been reported but no injuries, I had no conception of what I was about to witness. What was happening inside that high school was unimaginable. What it ignited was far worse.

Who could have known what we were in for? The police weren’t ready: they surrounded the school and waited for demands that never came. There was no active shooter protocol; the “lockdown drill” was still unconceived and inconceivable. Why would we drill kids to hide from gunmen? None of us had an inkling that the school shooter era had begun.

The school shooter era. Even 10 years after Columbine, I still couldn’t perceive what we were living through in that way. No one could. It had been going on far too long, but it was hard to predict its endurance or trajectory. While I despise the media scorekeeping – awarding the killers titles like prizefighters, giving them exactly what they crave – one stat is worth noting: what was then the most notorious mass murder in recent American history no longer ranks in the top 10. Four of the five deadliest attacks in the US have occurred since then, three of them in the past three years. In a five-day period near the end of last month, the US suffered four mass murders in four different states: Louisiana, Georgia, Pennsylvania and Florida. This is not going away, it’s getting worse.

From Columbine to Parkland: How We Got the Story Wrong on Mass Shootings

Parkland side note:  A big UK publisher (part of Hachette) is publishing Parkland simultaneously with a new edition of Columbine, with a new preface. It will be in all UK-distribution areas:  Ireland, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand.

Parkland is in hardcover in the US edition, paperback in the UK edition. Otherwise, exactly the same,  printed off the same plates.

‘Patricia Nell Warren, Author of the Groundbreaking Gay Novel ‘The Front Runner’, Has Died at 82

Patricia Nell Warren, author of the highly-influential 1974 novel The Front Runner, about a love affair between a running coach and his star athlete, has died at 82.  An out lesbian, Warren was the author of more than 10 books including Harlans’s Race, Billy’s Boy, and The Fancy Dancer. The Front Runner was the first work of gay fiction to make the New York Times best-seller list.

Wrote Warren’s friend John Selig on Facebook: “I have some sad news to share. My very dear friend Patricia Nell Warren passed away this morning. Patricia was a New York Times Best Selling author who was also an editor for over 20 years with the Readers Digest. In 1974 her ground breaking novel, The Front Runner, was published. Those of you who know me have often heard me speak about Patricia. She has been one of my closest friends for over 20 years. I am in Los Angeles and I was going to spend tomorrow with Patricia so I missed seeing her by one day. I last spoke with her yesterday. Patricia has been the kind of friend that one is lucky to find once or twice in a lifetime. For me Patricia has been a cross between a second mom and an older sister. Patricia was a phenomenal writer who loved to garden and cook. She was the best historian I have ever known and a master researcher for all of her writing, both fiction and non-fiction. She adored animals and loved to share stories of the Grant-Khors Ranch in Deer Lodge, Montana where she grew up…The world has lost an amazing talent today. I have lost a friend who has changed my life. RIP Patricia. I will love and miss you always.”

Patricia Nell Warren, Author of the Groundbreaking Gay Novel ‘The Front Runner’, Has Died at 82

The Walking Dead to Introduce a New Lesbian Couple

The Walking Dead has introduced two new characters who will soon be unveiled as a lesbian couple.  Magna and Yumiko made their debut on the AMC’s post-apocalyptic zombie drama in November, during Episode 5 of the show’s ninth season—but have not explicitly been shown as a couple.

But Eleanor Matsuura, who plays Yumiko, has now revealed to Digital Spy that the women’s relationship will be made obvious to viewers when the show returns on Sunday (February 10).

“We will see a lot more of Magna and Yumiko functioning as a couple, and it’s something that I fought really hard for and Nadia (Hilker) fought really hard for, to make sure we have that inclusion,” she said. “Obviously in the comics, it’s obvious that they’re a couple. But we wanted to make sure that it was also obvious in the show,” Matsuura said.  “So we fought really hard to have a kiss between us included in one of the later episodes, so we’ll have that to look forward to!”

The actress, who has also had roles in Wonder Woman and British TV series Sherlock, said she and Hilker were excited about the impact their roles could have.  “We feel very proud to be representing the LGBTQ community,” she said. “I feel a responsibility about it.  “I don’t take it lightly. I’m delighted to be representing where I think television and actually all platforms and media need to be going. I’m happy to be part of it.”

The Walking Dead to Introduce a New Lesbian Couple

How Bisexual Women Face Stigma and Hostility in Relationships

A new study reveals many "bisexual-plus" Kiwi women feel misunderstood and invalidated when dating.  Auckland University of Technology's Tara Pond is the first New Zealand academic to analyse in-depth the lives and romantic relationships of bisexual-plus women - those attracted to multiple genders.   For her PhD Pond surveyed 1000 women aged 20 to 88 who identified as bisexual, pansexual or queer. She found bisexual-plus women often experienced prejudice while in relationships with people of different genders.

"When a woman's in a relationship with a man they look like they're heterosexual, when they're in a relationship with a woman they look like they're gay and so people will call them that. [Participants] felt quite invalidated or oppressed by those labels."

One participant anonymously told Pond she felt like a "tourist" in the rainbow community. "Biphobia may be more extreme from straight people but it hurts more when it's from queer people."

How Bisexual Women Face Stigma and Hostility in Relationships

Mom Hosts Gender Reveal Party for Transgender Son

There were balloons, confetti and a big teddy bear – all the usual trappings of an extravagant gender reveal photo shoot. But this Kentucky mom’s celebration had a twist: it was a gender reveal for her 20-year-old transgender son.

“He thought I was insane,” Heather Green told CNN.  “How do you tell people your daughter is now your son? But not only now your son, but has always been your son.”  Last September, the son, Adrian Brown, told Green he’d be transitioning.  Green says she didn’t just want to support the journey; she wanted to celebrate it. And that’s what she did last month, when Brown turned 20.

Staying true to the cute and quirky nature of the gender reveal trend, Green posed in a fake belly bump with blue balloons. Brown lay next to a teddy bear swaddled in a blanket.

Mom Hosts Gender Reveal Party for Transgender Son

I Wasn’t Ready for the Intersex Surgery I Had as a Child

Amanda Saenz would like to turn back the clock.  Back to age 13 when a doctor said that surgery was the only option—and that it had to happen now. Because only later did Saenz realize the full gravity of what happened.  “I feel like I’ve been sterilized,” Saenz says.

Saenz is intersex, one of the up to 1.7 percent of people who were born with atypical chromosomes, hormones, or genitals.  Saenz has since come out as non-binary, too, and uses the gender-neutral pronoun “they” to reflect an identity that is neither strictly male nor female. Like many intersex people, Saenz underwent surgery to remove their gonads—surgery they didn’t understand at the time. (Saenz didn’t know, for example, that long-term hormone therapy would be required after surgery.)

“There was the day I was given a diagnosis,” Saenz recalls, “And then two months later, I was under the knife on an operating table, essentially.”  Saenz, who manages the youth program of the intersex nonprofit interACT, is now championing a new bill in California, SB 201, to prevent this from happening to others. Introduced on January 28, SB 201 would make California the first state in the country to ban medically unnecessary surgeries on intersex minors that could be “deferred,” as the bill states, until such time as those minors can provide informed consent.

I Wasn’t Ready for the Intersex Surgery I Had as a Child

How Joel Edgerton Became the Model LGBT Ally

“I do acknowledge some people say I should not have made the film,” Boy Erased actor-director Joel Edgerton tells PinkNews. “But I’m very proud that I did.”  Edgerton, the Golden Globe-nominated star of The Great Gatsby and Loving, is talking about his latest film, Boy Erased, a gay conversion therapy drama that he directed, wrote and stars in.

Boy Erased is based on the true story of conversion therapy survivor Garrard Conley, who, as a teenager, was sent to a Christian conversion camp to cure him of his homosexuality. It didn’t work. Conley wrote about his harrowing experiences in a 2016 memoir—which serves as the source material for Edgerton’s script.

Conley’s book landed on Edgerton’s reading list by way of Anonymous Content producer Kerry Kohansky Roberts and his own agent, who had just moved to Anonymous. Knowing that Edgerton was on the lookout for material for his second feature-length directorial effort—after 2015’s excellent horror film The Gift“they conspired to give me the book,” he says.  Edgerton devoured the book, but was not sure it was the right project for him. “I didn’t feel, on a representation level, that I had the right to be the writer-director of the story,” he says. “Then I was obsessing about the book—thinking about it, ruminating on it, every day.”

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 05:07:57 PM »

Tuesday, February 19th, 2019

Annie Proulx On Seductive ‘Cold War’

Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist and writer Annie Proulx, whose works include the short story that was turned into the groundbreaking eight-Oscar-nomination Brokeback Mountain, and The Shipping News, was moved by passion to write a guest column on Cold War. Director Pawel Pawlikowski wrote his black-and-white Poland-set historical period drama with Janusz Głowacki and Piotr Borkowski, and based the plot set in the ruins of post-World War II Poland on the love story of his own parents. The film stars Tomasz Kot and Joanna Kulig as the couple, and the Amazon Studios-released film is up for three Oscars including Best Foreign Language Film, Best Director (Pawlikowski) and Best Cinematography (Lukasz Zal).

Annie Proulx On Seductive ‘Cold War’

“In the Closet of the Vatican”

Most of the higher-ups in the Roman Catholic Church are gay, making the Vatican one of the world’s largest homosexual communities, according to a gay French author.  In what can only be described as stating the obvious, author Frederic Martel accuses Catholic bishops of rabid hypocrisy. He also says it’s all linked to the current crisis in the Catholic Church.

In the explosive book, “In the Closet of the Vatican,” author Frederic Martel describes a gay subculture at the Vatican and calls out the hypocrisy of Catholic bishops and cardinals who in public denounce homosexuality but in private lead double lives.  What’s especially notable is the level of access the writer achieved. He’s not just lobbing accusations at the Church. He has the kind of insight that suggests a much higher level of credibility than if it had been written by a casual Vatican observer.

Aside from the subject matter, the book is astonishing for the access Martel had to the inner sanctum of the Holy See. Martel writes that he spent four years researching it in 30 countries, including weeks at a time living inside the Vatican walls. He says the doors were opened by a key Vatican gatekeeper and friend of Pope Francis who was the subject of the pontiff’s famous remark about gay priests, “Who am I to judge?”

“In the Closet of the Vatican”

Indiana Lesbian Couple Turned Away by Tax-Filing Business

Samantha and Bailey Brazzel had approached Carver Tax Service in Russiaville, Indiana, to file their first joint tax return since their wedding in 2018.  But the newlywed couple were left stunned when the business owner, who had filed Bailey’s individual taxes for several years, refused to take their custom.

Speaking to the Kokomo Tribune newspaper, Bailey Brazzel said: “At first we thought she was kidding, but when she started talking about the Bible, we knew she was serious… and I was completely shocked.  You hear about it all the time, but nothing like this has happened to us before.  She had done my taxes with no issues before, but now that we were married and she didn’t agree with my life choices, she wouldn’t.”  Brazzel said that she and her wife were shaken by the incident, adding: “My wife was trying to console me and I was crying.”

Nancy Fivecoate of Carter Tax Service told the newspaper: “[Bailey] came with her wife and I declined to prepare the taxes because of my religious beliefs.  I am a Christian and I believe marriage is between one man and one woman. I was very respectful to them. I told them where I thought she might be able to get her taxes prepared.”

Fivecoate said it was not the first time the issue had come up. 

Indiana Lesbian Couple Turned Away by Tax-Filing Business

Rita Ora 'Understands' Girls Controversies

Rita Ora understands why her single 'Girls' sparked outrage.

The 28-year-old singer's track was widely criticized, with members of the LGBT community accusing Rita of trivializing lesbian relationships, but she's insisted that was never her intention and that, at the time, most people weren't aware she's bisexual.  Rita - who featured on the single alongside Cardi B, Charli XCX and Bebe Rexha - told the 'What's The Tee' podcast: "When I was younger I was very experimental - in my late teens, early 20s - so I wanted to make a song about girls who may have been confused about who they are."

Rita understands why she was accused of "using the culture" for her own financial benefit.  However, Rita "forgot" that the public weren't aware that she's bisexual.  She said: "When it came out I think people looked at it, because they didn't know about my experience, like I was using the culture - which was understandable.  I never looked at it like that because I knew I'd experienced it. But I forgot that nobody else knew that."

Rita Ora 'Understands' Girls Controversies

Transgender Nurse Wins Discrimination Case Against Iowa

A transgender nurse who was barred from using the restroom corresponding with his gender identity and denied transition-related care won a discrimination lawsuit against the state of Iowa  this week.  The jury awarded Jesse Vroegh $120,000 in damages on Wednesday.  Jurors found that the state engaged in discrimination by forcing Vroegh, 37, to use the female restroom at the Iowa Correctional Institution for Women, where Vroegh worked as a nurse for about seven years.

"This whole lawsuit process has been difficult and emotionally very trying," Vroegh said in a statement. "My life has been put under a microscope. But I do it because it's important for all the transgender Iowans who come after me.  I want them to be treated fair and equally."

Almost a year ago, Vroegh filed suit against the Iowa Department of Corrections, the Iowa Department of Administrative Services, Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield and Patti Wachtendorf, the previous warden at the women's prison in Mitchellville. Wellmark was later dismissed from the lawsuit.  In his suit, Vroegh – who was represented by the ACLU of Iowa, the ACLU LGBT Project and cooperating attorney Melissa Hasso – claimed all of the listed defendants treated him differently than other male employees solely because he is transgender.

Transgender Nurse Wins Discrimination Case Against Iowa

The Pansexual Revolution: How Sexual Fluidity Became Mainstream

Nick Meadowcroft-Lunn has a girlfriend, whom he has been seeing for three years. Jezz Palmer has a girlfriend, too, and they have been together for five. You might assume therefore that Nick is straight and Jezz is gay; or, if not, that both must be bisexual. But you would be wrong.

“I always describe my sexuality as: ‘If you’ve got nice hair and pretty eyes, I’m down for it,’” explains Jezz, a 26-year-old editor working in historical publishing. “It’s not that gender doesn’t matter, because it can be important, but it’s a bit of an afterthought. It’s just like: ‘Oh, hello.’” For a while, she wasn’t sure what to call this, but eight years ago she settled on “pansexual” as the closest word. “It took me a while to figure it out. [The TV series] Torchwood was about the only thing I’d heard of. I was talking about maybe being pansexual and someone said: ‘Oh, like Captain Jack in Torchwood.’”

Nick, a 22-year-old physics and philosophy masters student at the University of York, initially thought he was bisexual as a teenager, but also now feels “pansexual” better fits his view that attraction isn’t really about gender. “I just find characteristics generally about people attractive. Pan is simply easier to understand, and much closer to the truth for me. It’s not specific to any gender.” He often explains it, he says, by talking about height: a bi person might find tall guys attractive, and short girls. But he tends to fancy tall people, regardless of whether they are male or female.

The Pansexual Revolution: How Sexual Fluidity Became Mainstream

“I do acknowledge some people say I should not have made the film,” Boy Erased actor-director Joel Edgerton tells PinkNews. “But I’m very proud that I did.”  Edgerton, the Golden Globe-nominated star of The Great Gatsby and Loving, is talking about his latest film, Boy Erased, a gay conversion therapy drama that he directed, wrote and stars in.

Boy Erased is based on the true story of conversion therapy survivor Garrard Conley, who, as a teenager, was sent to a Christian conversion camp to cure him of his homosexuality. It didn’t work. Conley wrote about his harrowing experiences in a 2016 memoir—which serves as the source material for Edgerton’s script.

Conley’s book landed on Edgerton’s reading list by way of Anonymous Content producer Kerry Kohansky Roberts and his own agent, who had just moved to Anonymous. Knowing that Edgerton was on the lookout for material for his second feature-length directorial effort—after 2015’s excellent horror film The Gift“they conspired to give me the book,” he says.  Edgerton devoured the book, but was not sure it was the right project for him. “I didn’t feel, on a representation level, that I had the right to be the writer-director of the story,” he says. “Then I was obsessing about the book—thinking about it, ruminating on it, every day.”

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 05:20:20 PM by CellarDweller115 »
Call Me By Your Name